Franklin Square was a square in Manhattan on the intersection of Pearl, Dover and Cherry Streets. The elevated Manhattan Railway, built in 1877–1878, ran over Franklin Square, and a station was built there. On its west side were the buildings of Harper's Publishing House. The station and square were demolished in 1950, replaced with the Franklin Square Bridge, part of the Manhattan access to the Brooklyn Bridge. At the same time, the block of Cherry Street nearest the square was razed and replaced with the Alfred E. Smith Houses.
no matches found