Brookwood American Cemetery and Memorial is the only American Military Cemetery of World War I in the British Isles. Located approximately 28 miles (45 km) southwest of London, Brookwood American Cemetery contains the graves of 468 American war dead, including the graves of 41 unknown servicemen, from World War I.
St. Edward the Martyr Orthodox Church is a True Orthodox Church in Brookwood, Surrey, England.
Jacobs Well or Jacobswell is a small village in Surrey, England, of 20th century creation, with a population of 1,171. The village forms a northern outskirt of Guildford, in the civil parish of Worplesdon which can be considered the mother village of medieval date to the west. The Stoke Hill part of Stringers Common, Slyfield Industrial Estate and a Surrey County Council general waste transfer station to the south form the narrowest of its buffer zones to all sides, separating the Slyfield part of Guildford from the village.
Brookwood Cemetery, also known as the London Necropolis, is a burial ground in Brookwood, Surrey, England. It is the largest cemetery in the United Kingdom and one of the largest in Europe. The cemetery is listed a Grade I site in the Register of Historic Parks and Gardens.
Byfleet is a village in Surrey, England. It is located in the far east of the borough of Woking, around 1.5 miles (2.4 km) east of West Byfleet, from which it is separated by the M25 motorway and the Wey Navigation.
The Shah Jahan Mosque (also known as Woking Mosque) in Oriental Road, Woking, England, is the first purpose-built mosque in the United Kingdom. Built in 1889, it is located 30 miles (50 km) southwest of London. It is a Grade I listed building.
Woking railway station is a major stop in Woking, England, on the South Western Main Line used by many commuters. It is 24 miles 27 chains (39.2 km) down the line from London Waterloo. The station is managed by South Western Railway, who operate all trains serving it. Many South Western Railway services call at Woking, including:
Brookwood is a National Rail railway station in Brookwood in the English county of Surrey. It is 27 miles 79 chains (45.0 km) down the line from London Waterloo.
Worplesdon railway station is a railway station in the Woking district of Surrey, England. The station is located between Woking and Guildford stations on the Portsmouth Direct Line, 26 miles 55 chains (42.9 km) down the line from London Waterloo.
The Borough of Woking is a local government district with borough status in the west of Surrey, England. It is one of eleven districts within the administrative county of Surrey. Local government functions are split between Surrey County Council and Woking Borough Council.
West Byfleet is a village in Surrey which grew up around its relatively minor stop on the London & South Western Railway: the station, originally Byfleet and Woodham, opened in 1887. More than 1 mile (1.6 km) from the medieval village of Byfleet, the initial concentration of a new development soon established its own economy apart from that of a dependent London commuter village and spread in most directions to its borders including to the border of the old settlement, divided by the shielded London Orbital motorway today. The first place of worship was dedicated in 1912, the parish of West Byfleet associated with it was established in 1917. The village is bounded to the north by the Basingstoke Canal and to the east by the M25 and the Wey Navigation Canal. Forming part of the contiguous development centred on London and its 'stockbroker belt' just outside the M25 motorway, it is 18 miles from London Heathrow and equidistant between the business parks of Woking and Brooklands. In local government it forms a ward on the same basis as its parish in the Borough of Woking.
Sutton Green is a semi-rural suburban settlement and area of Metropolitan Green Belt between Guildford and Woking, Surrey. Sutton Green neighbours Jacobs Well in the Borough of Guildford.
L’église Saint-Nicolas est une église médiévale anglaise de style normand située à Pyrford (en) dans le Surrey.
Brookwood is a village in Surrey, England, about 3 1⁄2 miles (5.6 km) west of Woking, with a mixture of semi-rural, woodland-set and archetypal suburban residential homes. It lies on the western border of the Woking Borough, with a small part of the village in Guildford Borough. As part of the 2016 boundary review Brookwood became part of the Heathlands ward which comprises Brookwood, Bridley, Hook Heath, Mayford, Sutton Green and Barnsbury and Wych Hill.
St. Andrew's Church is the parish church of Goldsworth Park, a district of Woking, Surrey, England. The church paid for and sponsors the secular local youth and community centre for Goldsworth Park, the A2 Youth and Community Centre or simply, the A2 Centre.
The church of St Mary-the-Virgin in Horsell is an Anglican church in the Diocese of Guildford. It is located about one mile away from Woking town centre. The current Vicar is Sarah Hayes. The church is a Grade II* listed building.
Goldsworth Park is a large housing estate to the north-west of Woking in Surrey, England. It was named after the nearby Goldsworth area which was a large 'tithing' of Woking Parish. The tithing included most of the north west of Woking, such as Brookwood, Knaphill and St. John's. It is bordered by villages such as St. John's, Knaphill and Horsell.
Horsell is a village in the borough of Woking in Surrey, England, less than a mile north-west of Woking town centre. In November 2012, its population was 9,384. Horsell is integral to H. G. Wells' classic science fiction novel The War of the Worlds, the sand pits of Horsell Common being the site of the first Martian landing. Horsell Common has since been designated a Site of Special Scientific Interest. Another landmark is the McLaren Technology Centre, built on the northern edge of the common in the early 2000s for the McLaren Group.
Kingfield Stadium, also known as Laithwaite Community Stadium for sponsorship reasons, is the home of Woking F.C. in the Kingfield area of Woking, Surrey which has a capacity of 6,036 of which 2,500 are seated on grandstands.
Knaphill is an urban village in Surrey, England. To the east is Woking, to the west is Aldershot, while to the south and north on the A322 – which forms its effective western border – are Brookwood, and Bisley, respectively. Some of the village is set on a hill, hence the name. Knaphill has a cricket team formed in 2015. The team's home games are played at Waterers Park with an annual charity match in August. The club play against local teams such as Brookwood CC and Byfleet CC.
Mayford is a village in Woking borough of the county of Surrey, England. It is roughly 2½ miles south of Woking on Egley Road, part of the A320 between Woking and Guildford, Surrey. The village is mainly centred on the roundabout in the middle of the village. Mayford was mentioned in the Domesday Book in 1086, as "Maiford". The same spelling was recorded in 1212.
The McLaren Technology Centre is the headquarters of the McLaren Group and its subsidiaries, located on a 500,000 m² (50-hectare) site in Woking, Surrey, England. The complex consists of two buildings: the original McLaren Technology Centre, which acts as the main headquarters for the group, and the newer McLaren Production Centre, primarily used for manufacturing McLaren Automotive cars.
The Muslim Burial Ground, in the town of Woking in the English county of Surrey, was the original resting place of two dozen Muslim soldiers who died during World War I and World War II. It is now a peace garden dedicated to all the Muslim soldiers of the British Indian Army who died during both wars. The site measures about 120 feet (37 m) by 100 feet (30 m) and is located in the southeast corner of Horsell Common about 100 metres (330 ft) off Monument Road. It is a Grade II listed building.
The New Victoria Theatre in Woking, England opened in June 1992. The main theatre seats approximately 1,300 people, making it one of the largest receiving house theatres outside London. In addition to the main theatre the complex also contains the smaller Rhoda McGaw Theatre and a six-screen cinema. The theatre has presented dramas from groups such as the Royal Shakespeare Company, Royal National Theatre and the Peter Hall Company; regular visitors also include Glyndebourne on Tour, Scottish Ballet and Northern Ballet Theatre.
Old Woking is a ward and the original settlement of the town and borough of Woking, Surrey, about 1.3 miles (2.1 km) southeast of the modern town centre. It is bounded by the Hoe Stream to the north and the River Wey to the south and between Kingfield to the west and farmland to the east. The village has no dual carriageways or motorways, its main road is the A247, which connects Woking with Clandon Park and provides access to the A3. The village contains parts of Woking's two largest parks and two converted paper mills. The expanded village largely consists of semi-detached houses with gardens and covers an area of 224 hectares (550 acres)
Pyrford is a village in the borough of Woking in Surrey, England. It is on the left bank of the River Wey, around 2 miles (3.2 km) east of the town of Woking and just south of West Byfleet; the M25 motorway is north-east of the edge of the former parish.
Sheerwater is a residential neighbourhood or small suburb of the Borough of Woking in Surrey, England, occasionally described as a village, between West Byfleet and Horsell. Its border is defined to the north by a gently winding part of the Basingstoke Canal and to the south by the South Western Main Line which passes from cutting level to that of an embankment. The neighbourhood has a business park and light industry at its south-western end. The whole area is linear, includes diverse green spaces to north and south, and covers 92 hectares (230 acres).
St Johns and Hook Heath is a suburban ward in Surrey consisting of two settlements founded in the 19th century in the medieval parish of Woking. The two 'villages' have residents' associations and are centred 2.5 km WSW and SW of Woking's town centre in the northwest of the English county – by including such suburbs, Woking is the largest town in the county. The ward in 2011 contained 1,888 homes across its 3.46 square kilometres (1.34 sq mi).
St John the Baptist School is a Catholic voluntary aided comprehensive school, located in Woking, Surrey, England. The school was one of the first 100 designated Teaching Schools in the United Kingdom.
St Peter's Church is situated in Old Woking, Surrey, England. It is recorded in the Domesday Book. It also has the third oldest surviving door in the British Isles. It also has the oldest door in Surrey.
Sutton Place, 3 miles north-east of Guildford in Surrey, is a Grade I listed Tudor manor house built c. 1525 by Sir Richard Weston (d. 1541), courtier of Henry VIII. It is of great importance to art history in showing some of the earliest traces of Italianate renaissance design elements in English architecture. In modern times, the estate has had a series of wealthy owners, a trend started by J. Paul Getty, then the world's richest private citizen, who spent the last 17 years of his life there. Its current owner is the Russian billionaire Alisher Usmanov. A definitive history of the house and manor, first published in 1893, was written by Frederic Harrison (d. 1923), jurist and historian, whose father had acquired the lease in 1874.
The Bishop David Brown School is a mixed secondary school located in Sheerwater, (Woking), Surrey, England. Its former name is Sheerwater Secondary School. In 1982 Sheerwater Secondary School merged with the Queen Elizabeth II School and changed its name to the Bishop David Brown School, named after David Brown, Church of England Bishop of Guildford 1973–82. The school is commonly abbreviated to BDB.
The Winston Churchill School is a comprehensive, secondary school in Woking, England. The school was established in 1967. It is near Knaphill, Bisley, West End, Brookwood and Pirbright. The school holds Specialist Sports College status.
Woking College is one of the U.K’s top performing 6th Form Colleges with over 1,400 16-19 yr. olds studying A Levels and Advanced Vocational Courses.
Woking Crematorium is a crematorium in Woking, a large town in the west of Surrey, England. Established in 1878, it was the first custom-built crematorium in the United Kingdom and is closely linked to the history of cremation in the UK.
Woking Park is a large park and leisure complex in Woking, Surrey, operated and maintained by Woking Borough Council. The park is in the Hoe Valley and will be affected by the Hoe Valley Scheme.
West Byfleet railway station is on the South Western Main Line, opened 49 years after the line reached the following station west, Woking which is the district of the station.
All Souls' Church is located in Sutton Green, Guildford, England. The church is in the Parish of Woking St Peter and the Diocese of Guildford.
Westfield is an area in Woking Borough, Surrey. Westfield marks the southern boundary of Woking altering from English archetypal suburban homes in the north to semi-rural homes, smallholdings, small woodlands and fields in the south, where it abuts areas of London's Metropolitan Green Belt.
St Dunstan's Church is a Roman Catholic Parish church in Woking, Surrey. At first it was built in 1899, replaced by a larger church in 1923 and its final form was built in 2008. The church was dedicated that year by the Bishop of Arundel and Brighton and Cardinal Cormac Murphy-O'Connor. It is set back in its own plot from Shaftesbury and Pembroke Roads within a mile of the town's centre. It is the only Catholic church in the town and is the centre of the deanery of Woking in the Diocese of Arundel and Brighton.
The Lightbox is a public gallery and museum located in Woking, Surrey, in the South East of England. Three galleries host a range of exhibitions, changing regularly and it has a free museum of local history - 'Woking's Story'. It was opened on 14 September 2007.
The River Wey Navigation and Godalming Navigation together provide a 20-mile (32 km) continuous navigable route from the River Thames near Weybridge via Guildford to Godalming (commonly called the Wey Navigation). Both waterways are in Surrey and are owned by the National Trust. The River Wey Navigation connects to the Basingstoke Canal at West Byfleet, and the Godalming Navigation to the Wey and Arun Canal near Shalford. The Navigations consist of both man-made canal cuts and adapted (dredged and straightened) parts of the River Wey.
St Mark's Church is located in Westfield, Woking, England. The church is in the Parish of the South Woking Team Ministry and the Diocese of Guildford.
St John's Church is located in St John's, Woking, England. The church is in the parish of St John's, Diocese of Guildford, which in turn is in the Province of Canterbury. The local village is named after the church.
The Surrey History Centre in Woking, Surrey, England, collects and rescues archives and printed materials relating to Surrey's past and present. It replaced the former Surrey Record Office, which had been based in Kingston upon Thames.