The Ohio and Erie Canal was a canal constructed during the 1820s and early 1830s in Ohio. It connected Akron with the Cuyahoga River near its outlet on Lake Erie in Cleveland, and a few years later, with the Ohio River near Portsmouth. It also had connections to other canal systems in Pennsylvania.
Valley View is a village in Cuyahoga County, Ohio, United States. The population was 1,897 at the 2020 census. It is a suburb of Cleveland with a town council form of government. It is part of a school district that also includes nearby Cuyahoga Heights and Brooklyn Heights. Its name refers to the Cuyahoga River valley, and the town includes part of the Cuyahoga Valley National Park and the Ohio and Erie Canal. It is home to the Valley View Bridge that is on Interstate 480 and crosses the Cuyahoga River. The bridge is one of the major points that locals refer to as where the east side meets the west side of Cleveland.
Richfield Coliseum, also known as the Coliseum at Richfield, was an indoor arena located in Richfield Township, between Cleveland and Akron, Ohio. It opened in 1974 as a replacement for the Cleveland Arena, and had a seating capacity of 20,273 for basketball. It was the main arena for the Northeast Ohio region until 1994, when it was replaced by Gund Arena in downtown Cleveland. The Coliseum stood vacant for five years before it was purchased and demolished in 1999 by the National Park Service. The site of the building was converted to a meadow and is now part of Cuyahoga Valley National Park.
Blossom Music Center, locally referred to simply as Blossom, is an outdoor amphitheatre in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, United States. The venue is the summer home of The Cleveland Orchestra and the site of the ensemble’s annual Blossom Festival. Blossom Music Center is owned by the Musical Arts Association, the Orchestra’s parent organization.
Boston Township is one of the nine townships of Summit County, Ohio, United States, about 15 miles north of Akron and 23 miles south of Cleveland. It is part of the Akron metropolitan area. The 2020 census found 1,401 people in the township.
The Brecksville-Northfield High Level Bridge is a bridge in Greater Cleveland, Ohio, U.S., connecting Brecksville in Cuyahoga County with Sagamore Hills Township in Summit County. It is located in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park.
Everett Historic District is a rural village located within Cuyahoga Valley National Park. It is registered on the National Register of Historic Places. Everett is unique for being uncompromised by the pressures of suburban development. It represents a typical unincorporated hamlet of the turn of the 20th century rural America.
The Jaite Mill Historic District, also known as Jaite, is a nationally recognized historic district in Cuyahoga and Summit counties in the U.S. state of Ohio. The Cuyahoga County portion of the district is located in the city of Brecksville, while the Summit County portion is located in Sagamore Hills Township. Built in 1903 as the Jaite Company Paper Mill, its center is at the intersection of Vaughn and Riverview roads, north of the crossing of Interstates 80 and 271.
Brecksville Reservation is the largest urban park in the U.S. state of Ohio. Chippewa Creek flows through the 3,026-acre (1,225 ha) reservation, which is home to a section of the Buckeye Trail. The park supports a diverse set of ecosystems, featuring fields, a river plain, gorges, and a variety of forested areas.
Brecksville is a Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad train station in Brecksville, Ohio. It is located at the end of Station Road in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park.
Canal Exploration Center is a Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad train station in Independence, Ohio, with a street address in Valley View, Ohio. It is located near Hillside Road in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park. The station was constructed by the National Park Service in the early 2000s.
Rockside is a Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad train station in Independence, Ohio. It is located on the south side of Rockside Road in Cuyahoga Valley National Park. The station was constructed by the National Park Service in the early 2000s.
Indigo Lake is a Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad train station in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, with a street address in Peninsula, Ohio. It is located adjacent to Indigo Lake and Riverview Road in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park.
The Stephen Frazee House is a historic house at 7733 Canal Road in Cuyahoga Valley National Park in the U.S. state of Ohio. The house was built in 1826 for Stephen and Mehitable Frazee, who had settled in the Cuyahoga Valley a decade earlier. The family had relocated from Poland, Ohio and were among the valley's first settlers; they lived in a log cabin until building the 1826 house. The construction of the Ohio and Erie Canal in the 1820s split Frazee's land in half, and he won $130 from the state in compensation that he may have put toward the house. The house is a Federal style vernacular building; while the style was common in the northeastern U.S., where it was often implemented by professional architects, it was rare in Ohio. The house's bricks were made of clay from the property itself, and the crude bricks and less experienced builders resulted in the house settling during its construction, giving it a permanent warped appearance. The Frazee family lived in the house until 1861, when it was purchased by John Hynton.
Wilson Feed Mill, also known as Alexander's Mill, is a historic gristmill at 7604 Canal Road in Cuyahoga Valley National Park in the U.S. state of Ohio. Andrew and Robert Alexander built the mill on the Ohio and Erie Canal in 1855 to grind flour for local farmers. At the time, the Cleveland area was a major wheat-producing region, in part because the canal let farmers ship flour across the Great Lakes. In 1900, Thomas and Emma Wilson bought the mill and expanded it to serve larger businesses. They also began grinding animal feed instead of flour at the mill in order to serve the growing feed market. The mill was the last operating mill in the Cuyahoga Valley and ran on water power through 1970.
Tinker's Creek, in Cuyahoga, Summit and Portage counties, is the largest tributary of the Cuyahoga River, providing about a third of its flow into Lake Erie.
Tinkers Creek Aqueduct is an aqueduct that was constructed to bridge the Ohio and Erie Canal over Tinkers Creek near its confluence with the Cuyahoga River in Valley View, Ohio. It is a relatively rare surviving example of an Ohio and Erie Canal aqueduct. It was originally constructed in 1825-1827 by, and re-built due to flood damage in 1845 and 1905. Tinkers Creek Aqueduct was included in a National Historic Landmark district established in 1966, and it was separately listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979. The original Tinkers Creek Aqueduct was a wood plank, steel truss, and Ashlar-sandstone structure constructed in 1827, south of the present aqueduct's location. Cuyahoga River and Tinkers Creek flooding caused continual damage to the original aqueduct, so successive structures were built in 1845 and 1905 in the present location. Today, Tinkers Creek Aqueduct is the only aqueduct which remains of the four original aqueducts in the Cuyahoga Valley. Of Furnace Run Aqueduct, Mill Creek Aqueduct, Peninsula Aqueduct, and (? Yellow Creek ?) Aqueduct; Mill Creek Aqueduct, of newer construction, is the only aqueduct which still carries Ohio and Erie Canal water. After 102 years of flooding, weathering, and deterioration, Tinkers Creek Aqueduct was removed in 2007. The National Park Service is currently working on Phase II of the project to reconstruct it from newer materials.
Hale Farm and Village is a historic property of the Western Reserve Historical Society in Bath Township, Summit County, Ohio, United States. It is within the boundaries of the Cuyahoga Valley National Park. Hale Farm was the original homestead of Jonathan Hale, a Connecticut farmer who migrated to the Western Reserve in 1810. In 1973 Hale Farm was listed on the National Register of Historic Places as the Jonathan Hale Homestead. The Hale House was built in 1825.
Indigo Lake is a small, roughly triangular lake in Summit County, Ohio, in the United States. It is not a natural lake, having been created by the park service in Cuyahoga Valley National Park. It is a popular fishing location, with several species present including the Largemouth bass.
The Station Road Bridge, near Brecksville, Ohio, was built in 1882. It spans the Cuyahoga River between Cuyahoga County and Summit County, Ohio. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.
Botzum is a Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad train station in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, with a street address in Akron, Ohio. It is located adjacent to the Cuyahoga River and Riverview Road in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park.