Frandor Shopping Center, in Lansing, Michigan, is located at the very eastern edge of the city bordering the neighboring city of East Lansing and freeway US Highway 127. It is a 450,000-square-foot (41,800 m2) strip center anchored by a Kroger supermarket, HomeGoods, Michaels, Jo-Ann Fabrics, Guitar Center, and Cost Plus World Market.
The Elliott-Larsen Building is a state government office in downtown Lansing, Michigan, named after Democratic State Representative Daisy Elliott and Republican State Representative Melvin Larsen, primary sponsors of the Elliott-Larsen Civil Rights Act. It was formerly known as the Lewis Cass Building, named after territorial governor Lewis Cass. It is the Michigan state government's oldest standing office building. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places as "State Office Building" in 1984.
The Potter Park Zoo is a 102-acre (41.3 ha) zoo located in Lansing, Michigan, within Lansing's Potter Park. Its mission is to Inspire people to conserve animals in the natural world. Potter Park Zoo is the oldest public zoo in Michigan and is currently home to over 160 species of animals. The zoo is owned by the City of Lansing, and operated by Ingham County. The zoo participates in the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA) Species Survival Plan (SSP) designed to manage and conserve threatened or endangered animals. The Michigan State University College of Veterinary Medicine partners with the zoo to provide medical care for its animals.
Everett High School is a public high school located on the south side of Lansing, Michigan.
The Lansing–East Lansing Metropolitan Statistical Area is a three-county metropolitan area located in Central Michigan defined by the Office of Management and Budget, and encompassing the counties of Eaton, Clinton, and Ingham. The region is colloquially referred to as "Mid" or Central Michigan, and less often as "Greater Lansing". As of the 2010 census, the MSA had a population of 464,036. It ranks as Michigan's third-largest metropolitan area behind metropolitan Detroit and Grand Rapids.
The Library of Michigan is a state-run library and historical center located in Lansing, Michigan that was created to provide one perpetual state institution to collect and preserve Michigan publications, conduct reference and research, and support libraries statewide. Previously under the Michigan Department of History, Arts and Libraries state agency and, as of 2009, under the Michigan Department of Education, the library is Michigan’s official state library agency. A notable side-project of the Library of Michigan is the Michigan eLibrary (MeL), one of the first online libraries on the Internet. MeL provides full-text articles, books, Michigan history materials, and evaluated web sites to residents of the state of Michigan. In 2003, the Library of Michigan Board of Trustees elected as chair Elaine Didier, dean of Oakland University's Kresge Library and professor at Oakland University.
Lansing Eastern High School is a public high school in Lansing, Michigan as part of the Lansing School District. Eastern International Baccalaureate Magnet High School is the only high school in mid-Michigan authorized to offer students the opportunity to earn an International Baccalaureate Diploma. Eastern also has the second-largest alumni association in the United States. It was located on the city's east-side on Pennsylvania Avenue, one block north of Michigan Avenue but is now located on Marshall Street on the corner of Marshall Street and Saginaw Street. The building was connected with former Pattengill Middle School next to Sparrow Hospital. In 2007, Sparrow purchased the Pattengill property to create a parking lot. With the deconstruction of Pattengill Middle School, Lansing Eastern became the oldest operational school in the Lansing School District. It opened in 1928 as the second high school in the city. The athletic teams were named Quakers because the school was located on Pennsylvania Avenue and a Society of Friends (Quaker) meeting house was located across the street. In March 2012 the Lansing School District announced that Eastern would house 7-12 grades beginning in the 2012-2013 school year. On Jan. 20, 2016, the Lansing School Board voted to sell the school to the Edward Sparrow Hospital Association for approximately $2.5 million. Students were relocated to the former Pattengill Middle School in Fall 2019.
Lansing Catholic High School is a private, Roman Catholic high school in Lansing, Michigan. It is located in the Roman Catholic Diocese of Lansing.
The Michigan Hall of Justice, also known as the Michigan Supreme Court Building is a six-story structure at 925 Ottawa Street in Lansing, Michigan. It is constructed in the postmodern style and faced with over 14,000 limestone panels. The building was designed by Spillis Candella and Albert Kahn Associates, Inc.
McLaren Greater Lansing (formerly Ingham Regional Medical Center), a teaching hospital located in Lansing, Michigan, is a subsidiary of the McLaren Health Care Corporation. It is affiliated with both the College of Human Medicine and the College of Osteopathic Medicine of Michigan State University.
Lansing () is the capital of the U.S. state of Michigan. It is mostly in Ingham County, although portions of the city extend west into Eaton County and north into Clinton County. The 2010 Census placed the city's population at 114,297, making it the fifth largest city in Michigan. The population of its Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) was 464,036, while the even larger Combined Statistical Area (CSA) population, which includes Shiawassee County, was 534,684. It was named the new state capital of Michigan in 1847, ten years after Michigan became a state.
Lansing Community College is a public community college with its main campus in Lansing, Michigan. Founded in 1957, the college's main campus is located on an urban, 42-acre (170,000 m²) site in downtown Lansing, Michigan spanning seven city blocks approximately two blocks from the state capitol. A West Campus opened in 2004 in Delta Township, southwest of Lansing, and there is also an East Campus located in the Eyde Plaza in East Lansing. The school is the third largest community college in Michigan by enrollment, with a fall 2013 enrollment of 18,551, a decrease from 20,394 in 2008.
The Red Cedar River is a tributary of the Grand River in central Michigan in the United States. The river is approximately 51.1 miles (82.2 km) long and drains a watershed of approximately 461 square miles (1,190 km2) in the Lansing–East Lansing metropolitan area and suburban and rural areas to the east.
The R.E. Olds Transportation Museum is named for Ransom E. Olds, founder of Oldsmobile and REO , and is located in Lansing, Michigan. It is one of the top-rated automotive museums in the United States.
The Union Depot is a former train station, located at 637 E. Michigan Avenue in Lansing, Michigan. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1995.
The Impression 5 Science Center, is a science museum located in downtown Lansing, Michigan. Formerly known as the Impression 5 Museum, the center is located in a historic wagon works factory on the Grand River. The name, Impression 5, refers to the five senses. The Impression 5 Science Center has ~3,000 Visitors per week.
The Central Methodist Episcopal Church (now the Central United Methodist Church) is a historic church located at 215 North Capitol Avenue in Lansing, Michigan. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.
The Boji Tower, also known as the Michigan National Bank Building, is a historic 23-story building located at 124 Allegan Street, in Lansing, Michigan. It has been the tallest building in Lansing since its completion in 1931. On December 6, 2005, the building was added to the National Register of Historic Places as the Capital Bank Tower.
The Lansing City Market was an urban city market located in downtown Lansing, Michigan. The market is located along the Grand River (Michigan) and Lansing River Trail, and is west of Cooley Law School Stadium. The current $1.6 million structure opened in January 2010. Merchant space ranges from 80 square feet (7 m2) to over 800 square feet (74 m2).
Sparrow Hospital is a 733-bed teaching hospital located in Lansing, Michigan that provides care for the greater Mid-Michigan region. The hospital is a subsidiary of Sparrow Health System, and is affiliated with the Colleges of Human Medicine and Osteopathic Medicine at nearby Michigan State University. Sparrow Hospital operates the only dedicated pediatric and adult emergency department in the region. The emergency department is a level I trauma center, as verified by the American College of Surgeons. It is also a Joint Commission certified Comprehensive Stroke Center. Sparrow also has modern operating rooms, multiple helipads, an oncology center, heart and vascular center, and orthopedic department. In addition, 4,500 births are performed at Sparrow Hospital annually.
Jackson Field is a baseball stadium in Lansing, Michigan, home field of the Lansing Lugnuts minor league baseball team. The Michigan State Spartans college baseball team also plays select home games at Jackson Field. The stadium is situated in downtown Lansing in the Stadium District on a relatively narrow strip of land between and below Larch and Cedar streets.
St. Mary Cathedral is a cathedral of the Roman Catholic Church in Lansing, Michigan one block north of the Michigan State Capitol. It is the seat of the bishop of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Lansing.
The Dodge Mansion, also known as Turner-Dodge House, is a historic house in Lansing, Michigan that was built in 1855. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) in 1972 as Dodge Mansion.
The Masonic Temple Building, located at 217 South Capitol Avenue in Lansing, Michigan, is a former Masonic building constructed in 1924. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.
Lansing Center, officially the Lansing Convention Center, is the primary and largest convention center in Lansing, Michigan. The center is located along Michigan Avenue, with its western facade fronting the Grand River. The center's location includes a riverfront plaza that has been home to outdoor events. It is also directly connected to the Lansing Radisson Hotel by an enclosed, climate-controlled skybridge spanning the Grand River. Since 1996, Lansing Center has been managed by the non-profit Lansing Entertainment & Public Facilities Authority (LEPFA).
The Michigan State Capitol is the building that houses the legislative branch of the government of the U.S. state of Michigan. It is in the portion of the state capital of Lansing which lies in Ingham County. The present structure, at the intersection of Capitol and Michigan Avenues, is a National Historic Landmark that houses the chambers and offices of the Michigan Legislature as well as the ceremonial offices of the Governor of Michigan and Lieutenant Governor. Historically, this is the third building to house the Michigan government.
REO Town is a district in Lansing, Michigan, United States, located south of downtown. The neighborhood is bordered by West Malcolm X Street to the north; South Cedar Street BL I-96 to the east; West Mount Hope Avenue to the south; and Townsend Street, the Grand River, and South Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard to the west.
The J.W. Knapp Company Building is a historic five-story, 190,000-square-foot (18,000 m2) Streamline Moderne building in Lansing, Michigan, United States. Designed by Orlie Munson of the Bowd–Munson Company, which also designed several other Art Deco landmarks in Lansing, including the Ottawa Street Power Station, it was constructed by the Christman Company in 1937 through 1938. The curvilinear look of the streamlined structure comes from huge plates of concrete faced with enamel, called "Maul Macotta", a copyrighted product of the Maul Macotta Company and prismatic glass brick windows. Alternating horizontal bands of yellow macotta and glass block are interrupted by vertical blue macotta pylons, rising from the building's four principal entrances. The pylons are pierced by windows. The entrance portals, display window aprons, and decorative banding are dark blue macotta. Red, yellow and blue spandrels, incorporating the letter "K" as a design element, decorate the entrance portals.