Staszic Palace (Polish: Pałac Staszica, IPA: [ˈpawat͡s staˈʂit͡sa]) is an edifice at ulica Nowy Świat 72, Warsaw, Poland. It is the seat of the Polish Academy of Sciences.
Plac Bankowy (in English: 'Bank Square') in Warsaw is one of that city's principal squares. Located downtown, adjacent to the Saxon Garden and Warsaw Arsenal, it is also a principal public-transport hub, with bus and streetcar stops and a Warsaw Metro station.
The Christian Theological Academy in Warsaw (ChAT) (Polish: Chrześcijańska Akademia Teologiczna w Warszawie) is a non-profit public university in Warsaw. It was established in 1954.
Warsaw's Castle Square (Polish: plac Zamkowy w Warszawie) is a historic square in front of the Royal Castle – the former official residence of Polish monarchs – located in Warsaw, Poland. It is a popular meeting place for tourists and locals. The Square (in a more or less triangular shape) features the landmark Sigismund's Column to the south-west, and is surrounded by historic townhouses. It marks the beginning of the bustling Royal Route extending to the south.
The Kazimierz Palace (Polish: Pałac Kazimierzowski) is a rebuilt palace in Warsaw, Poland. It is adjacent to the Royal Route, at Krakowskie Przedmieście 26/28.
The Warsaw Barbican (Polish: barbakan warszawski) is a barbican (semicircular fortified outpost) in Warsaw, Poland, and one of few remaining relics of the complex network of historic fortifications that once encircled Warsaw. Located between the Old and New Towns, it is a major tourist attraction.
The Warsaw New Town is a neighbourhood dating from the 15th century in Warsaw, Poland. It lies just north of the Old Town and is connected to it by ulica Freta (English: Freta Street), which begins at the Warsaw Barbican. Like the Old Town, the New Town was almost completely destroyed by the Germans during World War II and rebuilt after the war.
Konwiktorska Street Municipal Stadium (Polish: Stadion Miejski przy ulicy Konwiktorskiej), also known as the Gen. Kazimierz Sosnkowski Polonia Warsaw Stadium (Polish: Stadion Polonii Warszawa im. gen. Kazimierza Sosnkowskiego), commonly known as the Konwiktorska Stadium (Polish: Stadion przy Konwiktorskiej), or The Polonia Warsaw Stadium (Polish: Stadion Polonii Warszawa) is a multi-purpose stadium in Warsaw, Poland.
Cosmopolitan Twarda 2/4, formerly known as Twarda Tower or Hines Tower, is a mainly residential skyscraper (160 meters high, 44 storeys) in central Warsaw, Poland. The project was developed by Tacit Development Polska.
Copernicus Science Centre (Polish: Centrum Nauki Kopernik) is a science museum standing on the bank of the Vistula River in Warsaw, Poland. It contains over 450 interactive exhibits that enable visitors to single-handedly carry out experiments and discover the laws of science for themselves. The Centre is the largest institution of its type in Poland and one of the most advanced in Europe. In 2015 it has been visited by over 5 million people since its opening.
The Spektrum Tower (formerly TP S.A. Tower) is a highrise office tower in Warsaw, the capital of Poland. It is located at 14/16 Twarda Street in the Warszawa-Śródmieście central business district of the city and used to house the headquarters of its investor, the telecom operator Telekomunikacja Polska S.A. (TP S.A.), with some space being leased to other companies.
Raffles Europejski Warsaw, commonly known as Hotel Europejski (The European Hotel), is a historic and 5-star luxurious hotel located in the city centre of Warsaw, Poland. At the time of its opening in 1857 it was one of the most modern and luxurious European hotels.
The Polonia Palace Hotel is a historic four-star hotel opened in 1913 and located in the heart of Warsaw on Jerusalem Avenue. It is the capital’s second oldest hotel after the Hotel Bristol, Warsaw. Together with the adjacent Metropol Hotel and the MDM Hotel, it is managed by the Syrena Hotel Group. It was declared an architectural monument of Poland's history and culture on July 1, 1965.
Church of St. Joseph of the Visitationists (Polish: Kościół Opieki św. Józefa w Warszawie) commonly known as the Visitationist Church (Polish: Kościół Wizytek) is a Roman Catholic church in Warsaw, Poland, situated at Krakowskie Przedmieście 34. One of the most notable rococo churches in Poland's capital, its construction was begun in 1664 and completed in 1761.
The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier (Polish: Grób Nieznanego Żołnierza) is a monument in Warsaw, Poland, dedicated to the unknown soldiers who have given their lives for Poland. It is one of many such national tombs of unknowns that were erected after World War I, and the most important such monument in Poland.
The Museum of Independence (Polish: Muzeum Niepodległości) is a museum in Warsaw, Poland. It was established on 30 January 1990 as the Museum of the History of Polish Independence and Social Movements and is located in the former Przebendowski Palace at al. 'Solidarity' 62, but it also has these branches:
Three Crosses Square (Polish: Plac Trzech Krzyży, [ˈplat͡s ˈtʂɛx ˈkʂɨʐɨ], also "Square of Three Crosses", "Three Cross Square", and "Triple Cross Square") is an important square in the central district of Warsaw, Poland. It lies on that city's Royal Route and links Nowy Świat (New World) Street, to the north, with Ujazdów Avenue to the south.
The Jabłonowski Palace (Polish: Pałac Jabłonowskich) is a historic palace on Theatre Square in the Downtown (Śródmieście) district of Warsaw, Poland.
InterContinental Warsaw, designed by a team of architects under the leadership of the late Tadeusz Spychała, is a five-star hotel in Warsaw, located between Emilia Plater, Śliska, and Sosnowa streets. Its construction started in 2001 and ended in November 2003. It is the tallest hotel in Poland, the third-tallest in Europe, and one of the tallest 5-star hotels in the world.
Wilhelm Ellis Rau Palace (Polish: Pałacyk Wilhelma Ellisa Raua) - a historical building, located by Ujazdów Avenue in Warsaw, Poland.
The Copper-Roof Palace (Polish: pałac Pod Blachą) is an 18th-century palace in Warsaw, Poland. It takes its unusual name (which is less precisely phrased in the Polish original) from its copper roof — a rarity in the first half of the 18th century. The palace since 1989 is a branch of the Royal Castle Museum.
Śródmieście ([ɕrudˈmʲeɕt͡ɕe] meaning "city centre", "downtown") is the central borough (dzielnica) of the city of Warsaw. The best known neighborhoods in the borough are the Old Town (Stare Miasto) and New Town (Nowe Miasto).
The Warsaw Old Town (Polish: Stare Miasto and collectively with the New Town, known colloquially as: Starówka) is the oldest part of Warsaw, the capital city of Poland. It is bounded by the Wybrzeże Gdańskie, along with the bank of Vistula river, Grodzka, Mostowa and Podwale Streets. It is one of the most prominent tourist attractions in Warsaw. The heart of the area is the Old Town Market Place, rich in restaurants, cafés and shops. Surrounding streets feature medieval architecture such as the city walls, the Barbican and St. John's Cathedral.
The Palace of the Four Winds (Polish: Pałac Pod Czterema Wiatrami), also known as the Tepper Palace, is a rococo palace in Warsaw located at ulica Długa (Long Street) 38/40.
The Church of the Holy Cross (Polish: Bazylika Świętego Krzyża) is a Roman Catholic house of worship in Warsaw, Poland. Located on Krakowskie Przedmieście opposite the main Warsaw University campus, it is one of the most notable Baroque churches in Poland's capital.
St. Anne's Church (Polish: Kościół św. Anny) is a church in the historic center of Warsaw, Poland, adjacent to the Castle Square, at Krakowskie Przedmieście 68. It is one of Poland's most notable churches with a Neoclassical facade. The church ranks among Warsaw's oldest buildings. Over time, it has seen many reconstructions, resulting in its present-day appearance, unchanged since 1788. Currently it is the main church parish of the academic community in Warsaw.
Warszawa Gdańska station (also known as Dworzec Gdański; literally Gdańsk station) is a railway station in northern Warsaw, Poland. The name of the station derives from its past as the main station serving trains towards Gdańsk. Currently, trains in that direction use the main Cross-City Line and the Warszawa Centralna railway station.
Mostowski Palace (Polish: Pałac Mostowskich) is an 18th-century palace in Warsaw, Poland, located at ul. Nowolipie 2 (2 Nowolipie Street) — prior to World War II, at ul. Przejazd 15.
The Warsaw Fotoplastikon is a stereoscopic theatre based on the Kaiserpanorama system of rotating stereoscopic images located in Warsaw, Poland. Operating at the same location since 1905, it is the oldest stereoscopic theatre in Europe still in business at its original location. Today it is operates as a branch of the Museum of the Warsaw Uprising.
The Ateneum Theatre in Warsaw (Polish: Teatr Ateneum im. Stefana Jaracza w Warszawie) is a Polish dramatic theatre founded in 1928. It resides in a building erected a year earlier in the interwar Poland as headquarters for the Professional Union of PKP Railway Workers with offices upstairs. After World War II, the severely damaged structure was restored to its former glory with public funds. The state-run theatre reopened in 1951; named after its first and already famous prewar director Stefan Jaracz.
The Kwadrat Theatre (Polish: Teatr Kwadrat im. Edwarda Dziewońskiego, "Edward Dziewoński Square Theatre") is theatre in Warsaw, Poland located at 138 Marszałkowska Street. It was established in 1974. Its production has been mainly comedies.
The Warsaw Chamber Opera (Polish: Warszawska Opera Kameralna, WOK) is a Polish opera company founded in 1961 Stefan Sutkowski - managing and artistic director since its inception until 2012.
The Royal Spring (Zdrój Królewski) is a well located in Romuald Traugutt Park on Zakroczymska Street in Warsaw. The spring's building was built in the 18th century, with construction beginning in 1770. It is also called the King Stanislaus Augustus Spring. In the 18th century it was very popular with residents of the Warsaw New Town as well as travellers, although the drinking water had to be paid for.
National Philharmonic in Warsaw (Polish: Filharmonia Narodowa w Warszawie) is a Polish cultural institution, located at 5 Jasna Street in Warsaw. The building was built between 1900 and 1901, under the direction of Karol Kozłowski, to be reconstructed in 1955 by Eugeniusz Szparkowski. The director of the institution is Wojciech Nowak.
The Church of John of God is a Roman Catholic church belonging to the Brothers Hospitallers of St. John of God (the Bonifratrzy). It is located at 12 Bonifraterska Street in Warsaw. From 1976 to 2013 it was the seat of the now defunct parish of St. John of God (Parafia św. Jana Bożego w Warszawie).
The Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary is a Roman Catholic church located at 80 Solidarności Avenue (formerly 32 Leszno Street) in Warsaw.
All Saints Church is a Roman Catholic church located at 3/5 Grzybowski Square in Warsaw, the seat of the parish of All Saints in Warsaw.
The Church of St. Anthony of Padua is located on Warsaw's downtown at 31/33 Senatorska Street.
The Citadel Rail Bridge (Most przy Cytadeli) was a bridge in Warsaw, crossing the Vistula River. It opened in November, 1875, and was expanded with a second part in 1908. It was blown up for the final time in 1944 and was later replaced with the Gdański Bridge.
The Polish Cavalry Monument, also known as the Millennium Polish Cavalry Monument, is a statue located at the Polish Cavalry Roundabout (Rondo Jazdy Polskiej) in Warsaw.
The Napoleon Bonaparte Monument was erected to honor the French military and political leader Napoleon Bonaparte on the 190th anniversary of his death. Napoleon established the Duchy of Warsaw in 1807 from the Polish lands ceded by the Kingdom of Prussia under the terms of the Treaties of Tilsit. The duchy was held in personal union by one of Napoleon's allies, King Frederick Augustus I of Saxony. Following Napoleon's failed invasion of Russia, the duchy was occupied by Prussian and Russian troops until 1815, when it was formally partitioned between the two countries at the Congress of Vienna. It covered central and eastern part of present Poland and minor parts of present Lithuania and Belarus.
The Roman Dmowski Monument in Warsaw (Polish: Pomnik Romana Dmowskiego w Warszawie) is a 5-metre (16 ft) tall bronze statue of Polish politician Roman Dmowski in Warsaw, at the Na Rozdrożu Square on the intersection of Szuch Avenue and Ujazdów Avenue. It was unveiled on 10 November 2006. The statue holds the Treaty of Versailles and is engraved with a quote from Dmowski's book: "I am a Pole so I have Polish duties" (Jestem Polakiem więc mam obowiązki polskie...). The monument has proven to be rather controversial.
The Ronald Reagan Monument was erected to honor the 40th President of the United States and his role in supporting the Polish anti-communist labour union Solidarity. The monument faces the U.S. Embassy building at Ujazdów Avenue (Aleje Ujazdowskie) in the Śródmieście district of Warsaw, Poland. The monument was unveiled on November 21, 2011 by Lech Wałęsa.
Q22 is a neomodern office skyscraper in Warsaw by the Polish real estate developer Echo Investment and designed by APA Kuryłowicz & Associates with collaboration from Buro Happold Polska. The building is 195 metres high and has 50,000 m2 of rentable office space. It replaces the Mercure Fryderyk Chopin hotel that occupied this site between 1991 and 2012.
The Legia Warsaw Museum is a museum and stadium tour dedicated to Legia Warsaw club history in Warsaw in Poland. The museum, located at the Polish Army Stadium, was opened on 21 April 2006 and is open daily for tours.
Ministry of Economic Development (Polish: Ministerstwo Rozwoju) was the office of government in Poland responsible for economy and regional development. Mateusz Morawiecki was the last Minister of Development. It was created in late 2015 from the split of the Ministry of Infrastructure and Development and dissolved in 2018, after creation of Ministry of Investment and Economic Development.
The Sugar Palace (Polish: Pałacyk Cukrowników; official name: Pałacyk Zarządu Spółek Cukrowni Lubelskich, "Palace of the Board of Lublin Province Sugar Producers") is a historic building at 25 Mokotowska Street in Warsaw, Poland. It now houses the Adam Mickiewicz Institute.
Warsaw (Polish: Warszawa [varˈʂava] ( listen); see also other names) is the capital and largest city of Poland. The metropolis stands on the Vistula River in east-central Poland and its population is officially estimated at 1.765 million residents within a greater metropolitan area of 3.1 million residents, which makes Warsaw the 8th most-populous capital city in the European Union. The city limits cover 516.9 square kilometres (199.6 sq mi), while the metropolitan area covers 6,100.43 square kilometres (2,355.39 sq mi). Warsaw is an alpha global city, a major international tourist destination, and a significant cultural, political and economic hub. Its historical Old Town was designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
The Central Anticorruption Bureau (CBA, Polish: Centralne Biuro Antykorupcyjne) is a division of the Polish government, reporting to the Prime Minister of Poland, responsible for addressing corruption in Poland. Located in Warsaw, the CBA has been in operation since 24 July 2006, having been activated by the June 2006 Central Anticorruption Bureau Bill. While it works in both public and private sectors, it is particularly focused on combatting corruption in State and self-government institutions. Its scope includes both investigating criminal corruption and preventing corruption which is not yet criminal. It is charged with informing the Prime Minister, the President of Poland and the National Assembly of the Republic of Poland of matters which may affect the economic well-being of the Polish state.
The University of Warsaw (Polish: Uniwersytet Warszawski, Latin: Universitas Varsoviensis), established in 1816, is the largest university in Poland. It employs over 6,000 staff including over 3,100 academic educators. It provides graduate courses for 53,000 students (on top of over 9,200 postgraduate and doctoral candidates). The University offers some 37 different fields of study, 18 faculties and over 100 specializations in Humanities, technical as well as Natural Sciences.
The National Museum in Warsaw (Polish: Muzeum Narodowe w Warszawie), popularly abbreviated as MNW, is a national museum in Warsaw, one of the largest museums in Poland and the largest in the capital. It comprises a rich collection of ancient art (Egyptian, Greek, Roman), counting about 11,000 pieces, an extensive gallery of Polish painting since the 16th century and a collection of foreign painting (Italian, French, Flemish, Dutch, German and Russian) including some paintings from Adolf Hitler's private collection, ceded to the Museum by the American authorities in post-war Germany. The museum is also home to numismatic collections, a gallery of applied arts and a department of oriental art, with the largest collection of Chinese art in Poland, comprising some 5,000 objects.
Palace of Culture and Science (Polish: Pałac Kultury i Nauki; abbreviated PKiN) is a notable high-rise building in Warsaw, Poland. Constructed in 1955, it is the center for various companies, public institutions and cultural activities such as concerts, cinemas, theaters, libraries, sports clubs, universities, scientific institutions and authorities of the Polish Academy of Sciences. Motivated by Polish historicism and American art deco high-rise buildings, the PKiN was designed by Soviet architect Lev Rudnev in "Seven Sisters" style and is informally referred to as the Eighth Sister.
Narodowy Bank Polski (National Bank of Poland, NBP) is the central bank of Poland. It controls the issuing of Poland's currency, the złoty. The Bank is headquartered in Warsaw, and has branches in 16 major Polish towns. The NBP represents Poland in the European System of Central Banks, an EU organization.
The Krakow Episcopal Palace (Polish: Pałac Biskupów Krakowskich w Warszawie) was the residence of the bishops of Cracow in Warsaw. It is located at 5 Miodowa Street.
The Chancellery of the President of the Republic of Poland (Polish: Kancelaria Prezydenta Rzeczypospolitej Polskiej), instituted in 1989, is a governmental institution composed of the immediate staff of the President of Poland that assists and is governed by the President. The objective of the Chancellery is to provide assistance to the President in its multiple echelons of staff, which include the Presidential cabinet and the Chancellery of National Security. The Chief of the Chancellery (Szef Kancelarii) heads the institution; the Chief is appointed by and immediately responsible to the President.
Museum of Warsaw (Polish: Muzeum Warszawy) (in 1948–2014 Historical Museum of Warsaw, Polish: Muzeum Historyczne m.st. Warszawy) is a museum in the Old Town Market Place in Warsaw, Poland. It was established in 1936.
Złota 44 is a residential skyscraper (192 meters high, 52 story) in central Warsaw, Poland. It was designed by Polish-American architect Daniel Libeskind in association with Polish architects Architecture. It has been developed by US real estate investment manager Amstar and Warsaw developer BBI Development, which bought the topped-out but unfinished building from its initial developer ORCO.
The Łazienki Palace ([waˈʑɛŋki], Polish: pałac Łazienkowski; in English, the Baths Palace; also called the Palace on the Water and the Palace on the Isle) is a classicist palace in Warsaw's Royal Baths Park, the city's largest park, occupying over 76 hectares of the city center.
Łazienki Park (Polish: Park Łazienkowski or Łazienki Królewskie: "Baths Park" or "Royal Baths"; also rendered "Royal Baths Park") is the largest park in Warsaw, Poland, occupying 76 hectares of the city center.
The Grand Theatre in Warsaw (Polish: Teatr Wielki w Warszawie) or the Great Theatre—National Opera (Polish: Teatr Wielki—Opera Narodowa) is a theatre complex, opera company, and home of the Polish National Ballet, located on historic Theatre Square in Warsaw, Poland. The Warsaw Grand Theatre is one of the largest theatres in Europe and in the world, with a seating capacity of over 2000.
The Holy Trinity Evangelical Church of the Augsburg Confession (Polish: Kościół Świętej Trójcy), also known as Zug's Protestant Church (Polish: Zbór Zuga) is a Lutheran church in Warsaw, Poland. This is one of two Augsburg Evangelical churches in Warsaw. Designed and constructed by Szymon Bogumił Zug, it is one of the largest churches in Warsaw and one of the most notable for its design.
Academy of Fine Arts in Warsaw (Polish: Akademia Sztuk Pięknych w Warszawie) is a public university of visual arts and applied arts located in the Polish capital. The Academy traces its history back to the Department of Arts founded at the Warsaw University in 1812. As a separate institution it was founded in 1844 during the Partitions of Poland. In an upgrade in 1904 it was named the Warsaw School of Fine Arts; and in 1932 it received recognition as an Academy. At first the institute did not have its own building and classes were held in several locations around the city. Following an architectural competition a design by Alfons Gravier was chosen and construction began in 1911. The building was completed by the outbreak of the First World War.
POLIN Museum of the History of Polish Jews (Polish: Muzeum Historii Żydów Polskich) is a museum on the site of the former Warsaw Ghetto. The Hebrew word Polin in the museum's English name means either "Poland" or "rest here" and relates to a legend about the arrival of the first Jews to Poland.
Mausoleum of Struggle and Martyrdom (Polish: Mauzoleum Walki i Męczeństwa) is a museum in Warsaw, Poland. It is a branch of the Museum of Independence. The museum presents the conditions in which Polish patriots and resistance fighters were jailed by Nazi Germany during World War II.
The Zachęta National Gallery of Art (Polish: Narodowa Galeria Sztuki), is a contemporary art museum in the centre of Warsaw, Poland. The main aim of the gallery is to present and support Polish contemporary art and artists. With numerous temporary exhibitions of well known foreign artists, the gallery has also established itself internationally.
Mały Powstaniec (the "Little Insurrectionist") is a statue in commemoration of the child soldiers who fought and died during the Warsaw Uprising of 1944. It is located on Podwale Street, next to the ramparts of Warsaw’s Old Town.
The Presidential Palace (Polish: Pałac Prezydencki; also known as Pałac Koniecpolskich, Lubomirskich, Radziwiłłów, and Pałac Namiestnikowski) in Warsaw, Poland, is the elegant classicist latest version of a building that has stood on the Krakowskie Przedmieście site since 1643. Over the years, it has been rebuilt and remodeled many times. For its first 175 years, the palace was the private property of several aristocratic families. In 1791 it hosted the authors and advocates of the Constitution of May 3, 1791.
Państwowe Muzeum Archeologiczne w Warszawie is a museum located in the old Warsaw Arsenal in Warsaw, Poland. The museum was established in 1923 and has been in its current location since 1958.
Ratusz Arsenał is a station on Line M1 of the Warsaw Metro, located under the Plac Bankowy (English: Bank Square) in the borough of Śródmieście. It was opened in 2001. It takes its name from the Warsaw City Hall (Polish: Ratusz) located on the western side of the square. It is the closest station to the Warsaw Old Town and the Royal Castle.
Centrum is a station on Line M1 of the Warsaw Metro, located under Plac Defilad, a square in the borough of Śródmieście, next to the Dmowski roundabout, where the two main streets, Marszałkowska and Aleje Jerozolimskie, intersect. It is located close to the Palace of Culture and Science and Warszawa Centralna railway station. It has two levels: the lower one contains the platforms and the upper one is a shopping mall.
Metro Świętokrzyska is a station on Lines M1 and M2 of the Warsaw Metro, located under the crossing of Świętokrzyska and Marszałkowska streets in the borough of Śródmieście. It was opened in 2001. This station is used as a change-over between Lines M1 and M2.
Belweder (Polish pronunciation: [bɛlˈvɛdɛr]; in full Pałac Belwederski, Belweder Palace, from the Italian belvedere) is a palace in Warsaw, near the Łazienki Park. It was used as an official residence by the Polish presidents.
St. John's Archcathedral in Warsaw (Polish: Archikatedra św. Jana w Warszawie) is a Roman Catholic church in Warsaw's Old Town. St. John's is one of three cathedrals in Warsaw, but the only one which is also an archcathedral. It is the mother church of the archdiocese of Warsaw. St. John's Archcathedral is one of Poland's national pantheons and stands immediately adjacent to Warsaw's Jesuit church. Along with the city, the church has been listed by UNESCO as of cultural significance.
The Myślewicki Palace (Polish: Pałac Myślewicki) is a rococo-neoclassical palace in Warsaw's Royal Baths Park. It was created for King Stanisław August Poniatowski as one of the first buildings in the Royal Baths. Its name derives from that of the nearby now nonexistent village of Myślewice.
Iron-Gate Square (Plac Żelaznej Bramy) is a large open space in the city center of Warsaw. The square took its name from a large iron gate that once secured the western boundary of the Saxon Garden.
The Aleksander Zelwerowicz National Academy of Dramatic Art in Warsaw (Polish: Akademia Teatralna im. Aleksandra Zelwerowicza) is a public higher education institution in Warsaw, Poland. Its focus is on the theatre arts. It is in the Collegium Nobilium.
Warszawa Centralna is the primary railway station in Warsaw, Poland. Designed by architect Arseniusz Romanowicz, its construction began in 1972 and was completed in 1975. The station, located on the Warsaw Cross-City Line, features four underground island platforms with eight tracks in total and is served by the long-distance domestic and international trains of PKP Intercity and Przewozy Regionalne as well as some of the regional trains operated by Koleje Mazowieckie. Adjacent to the north side of the building is a bus station that serves as the central hub for night bus lines.
Rondo 1 is an office skyscraper with a total height of 192 m located in Warsaw, Poland at Rondo ONZ. The building was designed by Larry Oltmanns during his time as the Design Director for the London office of Skidmore, Owings & Merrill. Epstein Architecture acted as Executive Architects. The general contractor was HOCHTIEF Poland. Oltmanns stated that the design was informed by three aspirations: to create 'an idealised work environment adaptable to a wide range of ways of working; to contribute to a better plan for a liveable city; and to be a symbol of Warsaw's position in a global democratic world.'
Museum of the Polish Army (Polish: Muzeum Wojska Polskiego) is a museum in Warsaw documenting the military aspects of the history of Poland. Created in 1920, it occupies a wing of the building of the Polish National Museum as well as several branches in Poland. It's Warsaw's second largest museum and the largest collection of military objects in Poland. The collection illustrates a thousand years of Polish military history - from the 10th century to the Second World War.
Warsaw Arsenal (Polish: Arsenał Królewski w Warszawie) is a building of a military arsenal in Warsaw, Poland. It is located at Długa street, in the proximity of the Warsaw's Old Town. Throughout the ages the building served a variety of roles. It was the scene of heavy fighting during the Warsaw Insurrection of 1794. Currently it houses the National Museum of Archaeology.
Intraco I is a skyscraper in Warsaw, built in 1975 by Swedish company Byggnadsproduktion AB. The skyscraper is located at Stawki street, almost on the border of two districts Śródmieście and Żoliborz, close to the Dworzec Gdański metro station. Total height with antenna of Intraco building is 138 metres. The building has 39 storeys with a total area 31,500 square metres, and an underground car park for 200 cars.
The Royal Castle in Warsaw (Polish: Zamek Królewski w Warszawie) is a castle residency that formerly served throughout the centuries as the official residence of the Polish monarchs. It is located in the Castle Square, at the entrance to the Warsaw Old Town. The personal offices of the king and the administrative offices of the Royal Court of Poland were located there from the sixteenth century until the Partitions of Poland.
The Polish Financial Oversight Commission (PFOC) (Polish: Komisja Nadzoru Finansowego (KNF)) is the financial regulatory authority for Poland. Its responsibilities include oversight over banking, capital markets, insurance, pension scheme and electronic money institutions.
Prudential is a notable skyscraper in Warsaw, Poland. Built between 1931 and 1933 in the Art Deco style, it served as a base for the British Prudential Insurance Company. It is located on Warsaw Uprising Square along Świętokrzyska Street.
PAST (Polska Akcyjna Spółka Telefoniczna, Polish Telephone Joint-stock Company) was a Polish telephone operator in the period between World War I and World War II. It is notable for its main headquarters in Warsaw, which at the time of its construction was the first and tallest skyscraper in the Russian Empire and the tallest building of Warsaw. The fight for the building during the Warsaw Uprising of 1944 also added to the legend of the place.
The Blank Palace (Polish: Pałac Blanka) is a historic building on ulica Senatorska in Warsaw, Poland.
Błękitny Wieżowiec (literally Blue Skyscraper) is a building located in Bank Square in Warsaw. It stands in the place that was occupied before World War II by Warsaw's largest synagogue, the Great Synagogue, which was blown up by the Germans in 1943. Initial concepts for the construction of the skyscraper had been put forward in the 1950s, but construction finally began in the 1970s and was suspended shortly after the main structure was built. The unused construction was then often called the "golden towers" because of the colour of the facade.
The Branicki Palace (Polish: Pałac Branickich) is an 18th-century magnate's mansion in Warsaw, Poland. It is located at the junction of Podwale and Miodowa Streets.
Marshal Józef Piłsudski Legia Warsaw Municipal Stadium (Polish: Stadion Miejski Legii Warszawa im. Marszałka Józefa Piłsudskiego), traditionally also referred to as the Polish Army Stadium (Polish: Stadion Wojska Polskiego, pronounced [ˌstadjɔn ˌvɔjska pɔlˈskʲɛɡɔ]) in Warsaw, Poland, is an all-seater, highest fourth category football-specific stadium. The venue is located on Łazienkowska street in Śródmieście district. It is the home ground of Legia Warsaw football club, who have been playing there since August 9, 1930.
Piłsudski Square (Polish: plac marsz. Józefa Piłsudskiego), previously Victory Square (plac Zwycięstwa, 1946), is the largest square of Poland's capital, located in the Warsaw city centre. The Square is named for Marshal Józef Piłsudski who was instrumental in the restoration of Polish statehood after World War I.
Statistics Poland (formerly known in English as the Central Statistical Office (Polish: Główny Urząd Statystyczny, popularly called GUS)) is Poland's chief government executive agency charged with collecting and publishing statistics related to the country's economy, population, and society, at the national and local levels. The president of Statistics Poland (currently Dominik Rozkrut) reports directly to the Prime Minister of Poland and is considered the equivalent of a Polish government minister.
Ujazdów Castle (Polish: Zamek Ujazdowski) is a castle in the historic Ujazdów district, between Ujazdów Park (Park Ujazdowski) and the Royal Baths Park (Łazienki Królewskie), in Warsaw, Poland.
The Field Cathedral of the Polish Army (Polish: Katedra Polowa Wojska Polskiego, also known as the Church of Our Lady Queen of the Polish Crown) is the main garrison church of Warsaw and the representative cathedral of the entire Polish Army. In the past the church served a variety of communities and roles: it used to be the church of the Collegium Nobilium and in the 19th century was also turned into a Russian Orthodox church. Currently all major military religious feasts in Warsaw are held there.
Lubomirski Palace (Polish: Pałac Lubomirskich) is a palace in central Warsaw, which was built in the 18th century for the Radziwiłł family.
The Apostolic Nuncio to Poland is one of the oldest nuncios, appointed by the Pope as apostolic representative to the Roman Catholic Church in Poland. Three nuncios to Poland went on to be elected pope. Three were cardinals at the time of their appointment as nuncio, and the rest—with the sole exception of Filippo Cortesi—were elevated afterwards.
Novotel Warszawa Centrum is a skyscraper hotel in Warsaw, Poland. It was designed by Swedish architect Sten Samuelson and opened in 1974. It was built in what was considered a record speed for that time and place. It was originally named Hotel Forum, with the name changed to its current one in 2002.
The Saxon Garden (Polish: Ogród Saski) is a 15.5–hectare public garden in central (Śródmieście) Warsaw, Poland, facing Piłsudski Square. It is the oldest public park in the city. Founded in the late 17th century, it was opened to the public in 1727 as one of the first publicly accessible parks in the world.
Warszawa Śródmieście railway station is a railway station in Warsaw, Poland, in the district of Śródmieście. The station serves the suburban (southern) tracks of the Warsaw Cross-City Line and is used by regional trains run by Koleje Mazowieckie (KM) and Szybka Kolej Miejska (SKM). There are two side platforms and one island platform serving two tracks, all located in a tunnel.
Warsaw Public Library (Polish: Biblioteka Publiczna m.st. Warszawy) is one of the main libraries in Warsaw, and one of the largest in Poland.
Pozdrowienia z Alej Jerozolimskich (meaning "Greetings from Jerusalem Avenues") is an artistic construction in the form of an artificial date palm, designed by Polish artist Joanna Rajkowska, located on the Charles de Gaulle's Roundabout (rondo gen. Charles’a de Gaulle’a) in the Polish capital of Warsaw since December 12, 2002.
Tyszkiewicz Palace (Polish: Pałac Tyszkiewiczów), also known as Tyszkiewicz–Potocki Palace, is a rebuilt palace at 32 Krakowskie Przedmieście in Warsaw, Poland. It is one of the most beautiful Neoclassical-style buildings in the city.
Warsaw Governorate (Polish: Gubernia warszawska; Russian: Варшавская губерния) was an administrative unit (governorate) of the Congress Poland.
Dworzec Gdański (Gdańsk Train Station) is a station on Line M1 of the Warsaw Metro, located just south of the Warszawa Gdańska railway station, at the viaduct of Andersa Street over Słomińskiego Street. It is one of the major transport hubs in the northern part of the city of Warsaw. It was opened on 20 December 2003.
Warsaw's Old Town Market Place (Polish: Rynek Starego Miasta) is the center and oldest part of the Old Town of Warsaw, capital of Poland. Immediately after the Warsaw Uprising, it was systematically blown up by the German Army. After World War II, the Old Town Market Place was restored to its prewar appearance.
Masovian Voivodeship, 1526–1795 (Polish: Województwo Mazowieckie) was an administrative region of the Kingdom of Poland, and of the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth, from the 1526 to the partitions of the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth (1795). Together with Płock and Rawa Voivodeships, it formed the province of Masovia. Its area was 23,200 km2., divided into ten lands (see ziemia). The seat of the voivode was Warsaw, local sejmiks also convened in Warsaw, at St. Martin's church.
The Nożyk Synagogue (Polish: Synagoga Nożyków) is the only surviving prewar Jewish house of prayer in Warsaw, Poland. It was built in 1898-1902 and was restored after World War II. It is still operational and currently houses the Warsaw Jewish Commune, as well as other Jewish organizations.
The Chancellery of the Prime Minister of Poland (Polish: Kancelaria Prezesa Rady Ministrów), or KPRM, is the executive office for the Prime Minister of Poland. Created under the administrative reorganization reforms by the government of Włodzimierz Cimoszewicz in 1996 and implemented in the following year, the Chancellery assumed many responsibilities of the previous Office of the Council of Ministers (Urząd Rady Ministrów). In addition to serving as the premier's office, the Chancellery oversees the technical, legislative, legal and organizational support for the Prime Minister, Deputy Prime Minister and the Council of Ministers. The current Chief of the Chancellery is Beata Kempa.
Ministry of National Defense (Polish: Ministerstwo Obrony Narodowej) is the office of government in Poland under the Minister of National Defense. During the Second Polish Republic and World War II it was called the Ministry of Military Affairs (Ministerstwo Spraw Wojskowych).
Ujazdów Park (Polish: Park Ujazdowski) is one of the most picturesque parks of Warsaw, Poland. It borders Aleje Ujazdowskie (Ujazdów Avenue), with its many embassies and Sejm building.
The Maria Skłodowska-Curie Museum (Polish: Muzeum Marii Skłodowskiej-Curie) is a museum in Warsaw, Poland, devoted to the life and work of Polish two-time Nobel laureate Maria Skłodowska-Curie (1867–1934). The museum, which is sponsored by the Polish Chemical Society, is the only biographical museum in the world devoted to the discoverer of polonium and radium.
Muranów is a neighborhood consisting mainly of housing estates in the districts of Śródmieście and Wola in Warsaw. It was founded in the 17th century. The name is derived from the palace belonging to Józef Bellotti, a Venetian architect, situated on the island of Murano.
The Nicolaus Copernicus Monument in Warsaw is one of the Polish capital's notable landmarks. It stands before the Staszic Palace, the seat of the Polish Academy of Sciences on Krakowskie Przedmieście. Designed by Bertel Thorvaldsen in 1822, it was completed in 1830.
The Fryderyk Chopin Museum (Polish: 'Muzeum Fryderyka Chopina') is a museum in Warsaw, Poland, established in 1954 and dedicated to Polish composer Frédéric Chopin.
The Asia and Pacific Museum in Warsaw was founded in 1973 based on a private collection of oriental art amassed and later donated to the Polish State by Andrzej Wawrzyniak - Polish sailor, diplomat, connoisseur and collector of Oriental art. After his return to Poland, he donated his collection, numbering over 3000 objects, to the Polish State. On that foundation, the Nusantara Archipelago Museum was created in Warsaw in 1973.
Powiśle (literally near-the-Vistula) is a neighbourhood in Warsaw's borough of Śródmieście (city centre). It is located between the Vistula river and its escarpment. Historically it is composed of three neighbourhoods: the Powiśle proper, Mariensztat to the north (just below the Warsaw's Old Town) and Solec to the south.
Ministry of Health of the Republic of Poland (Polish: Ministerstwo Zdrowia Rzeczypospolitej Polskiej) is one of the Ministries of the Republic of Poland. Its current minister is Łukasz Szumowski.
The Ministry of Science and Higher Education (Polish: Ministerstwo Nauki i Szkolnictwa Wyższego) in Poland was opened on 5 May 2006 by the Minister of Science and Higher Education, in replacement of several parts of the Ministry of Education and Science. The Minister of Science and Higher Education administers governmental activities in science and higher education and has a budget for scientific research provided by State funds. The Rada Nauki (Science Council) acts together with the Minister, in replacement of the Komitet Badań Naukowych (Science Research Council) which was closed in 2005. The headquarters of the ministry are located at ulica Wspólna 1/3, Warsaw.
Poland's Ministry of Finance (Polish: Ministerstwo Finansów), headed by the Minister of Finance (Minister Finansów), is part of the government of Poland. Among its powers and responsibilities it drafts the national budget, deals with taxes, financing of the local self-governments and issues related to public debt.
Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary and of St. Joseph (Polish: Kościół Wniebowzięcia NMP i św. Józefa Oblubieńca) commonly known as the Carmelite Church (Polish: Kościół Karmelitów) is a Roman Catholic church at Krakowskie Przedmieście 52/54 in Warsaw, Poland.
The Adam Mickiewicz Museum of Literature (Polish: Muzeum Literatury im. Adama Mickiewicza w Warszawie) is a museum named for noted Polish poet and essayist Adam Mickiewicz in Warsaw, Poland. It was established in 1950.
The Monument to the Heroes of Warsaw, also known as the Warsaw Nike, is a statue located at the intersection of Nowy Przejazd (the New By-pass) and Aleja Solidarności (Solidarity Avenue) in Warsaw.
Jabłkowski Brothers (Polish: Bracia Jabłkowscy) is a Polish trading company, known for its group of high-end department stores in pre-war Poland. The Warsaw store was the very first department store in Poland.
Krasiński Square (Polish: plac Krasińskich) is a square in the central district of Warsaw, Poland. The square itself is adjacent to Warsaw Old Town and features buildings of great historical and national significance.
Muzeum i Instytut Zoologii PAN is a zoological museum in Warsaw, Poland. It was established in 1819. It is an institute of the Polish Academy of Sciences. It publishes the journal Acta Chiropterologica, a scientific journal on bats.
Museum of Caricature (Polish: Muzeum Karykatury) is a museum in Warsaw, Poland. The museum was established in 1978. It has a collection of over 20,000 pieces by Polish and foreign artists.
Muzeum Więzienia "Pawiak" (Museum of Pawiak Prison) is a museum in Warsaw, Poland, established in 1965. It shows the history of Pawiak Prison which was notably used during the German occupation between 1939 and 1944.
Museum of Scouting (Polish: Muzeum Harcerstwa) is a museum in Warsaw, Poland. The museum to the scout movement in Poland was established in 2001. It contains displays relating to the history of Polish scouts and scouting.
Parade Square (Polish: Plac Defilad w Warszawie) is a square in downtown Warsaw. Located between ulica Świętokrzyska (Holy Cross Street) in the north, Aleje Jerozolimskie (Jerusalem Avenues) in the south, ulica Marszałkowska (Marshal's Street) in the east and the monumental Palace of Culture and Science to the west, it is one of Warsaw's central squares. It's one of the largest city squares in the world, and the second largest in the European Union, after the Alexanderplatz in Berlin, Germany.
Central Archives of Historical Records in Warsaw (Polish: Archiwum Główne Akt Dawnych w Warszawie, AGAD) is one of Poland's four national archives. The archive was founded in 1808 and holds records ranging from 12th century until World War I. A large portion of the archive was destroyed during World War II in 1939 and in 1944. The current headquarters is located in Raczyński Palace located at Długa 7 Street in Warsaw.
Stara Prochownia (English: The Old Gunpowder Depot) also known as the Bridge Gate (Polish: Brama Mostowa) is a historic building in Warsaw New Town. It is located on ulica Boleść, just below the New Town and the Barbican, on the Vistula River escarpment.
The Auditorium Maximum - is a Classicist building located in the University of Warsaw's campus at 26/28 Krakowskie Przedmieście Street in Warsaw, Poland.
Bank Gospodarstwa Krajowego (BGK) – Polish national development bank with headquarters in Warsaw, is a state-owned bank in Poland, operating under a dedicated bill of law. Its main tasks are: support and servicing of export transactions, issuing governmental guarantees, and support of housing.