Kline Biology Tower is a skyscraper in New Haven, Connecticut. The building is home to the Yale University Department of Biology and is currently the tallest building on the Yale campus and the fourth-tallest building in New Haven. It was the tallest building in the city from 1966 to 1969, and was designed by Philip Johnson, who also designed the nearby—and architecturally related—Kline Geology and Chemistry Laboratories.
The Peabody Museum of Natural History at Yale University is among the oldest, largest, and most prolific university natural history museums in the world. It was founded by the philanthropist George Peabody in 1866 at the behest of his nephew Othniel Charles Marsh, the early paleontologist. Most known to the public for its Great Hall of Dinosaurs, which includes a mounted juvenile Brontosaurus and the 110-foot (34 m) long mural The Age of Reptiles, it also has permanent exhibits dedicated to human and mammal evolution; wildlife dioramas; Egyptian artifacts; and the birds, minerals and Native Americans of Connecticut.
Berkeley College is a residential college at Yale University, opened in 1934. The eighth of Yale's 14 residential colleges, it was named in honor of Reverend George Berkeley (1685–1753), dean of Derry and later bishop of Cloyne, in recognition of the assistance in land and books that he gave to Yale in the 18th century. Built on the site of a group of buildings known from the 1890s until 1933 as the Berkeley Oval, the college was renovated in 1998.
Saybrook College is one of the 14 residential colleges at Yale University. It was founded in 1933 by partitioning the Memorial Quadrangle into two parts: Saybrook and Branford.
Hill Regional Career High School is a magnet high school located in the Hill area of New Haven, Connecticut, United States. Its original name was Lee High School, named after one of New Haven's most famous mayors, Richard C. Lee. The school's curriculum is aligned with national, state and district standards, as well as providing career exploration programs to prepare students for entry into the fields of business/technology and health/science.
The Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument is a war memorial located on the 366-foot (112 m) summit of East Rock in New Haven, Connecticut. It is visible for miles from the surrounding area and Long Island Sound. The monument was completed in 1887 and honors the residents of New Haven who gave their lives in the Revolutionary War, the War of 1812, the Mexican War, and the Civil War. It is 112 feet (34 m) high and 87 steps to the top.
The Anchor was a popular bar and restaurant located at 272 College Street in downtown New Haven that operated from the 1930s until 2015. The establishment was popular with students and faculty of neighboring Yale University and patrons of the Shubert Theatre. It was a favorite of playwright Thornton Wilder and also catered to such celebrities as Lucille Ball, Douglas Fairbanks, Jr., and George C. Scott. It is known for its preserved Art Moderne facade and interior. In 2014, the bar's last full year, Esquire magazine ranked the Anchor among the nation's top 25 bars.
New Haven is a coastal city in the U.S. state of Connecticut. It is located on New Haven Harbor on the northern shore of Long Island Sound in New Haven County, Connecticut, and is part of the New York metropolitan area. With a population of 129,779 as determined by the 2010 United States Census, it is the second-largest city in Connecticut after Bridgeport. New Haven is the principal municipality of Greater New Haven, which had a total population of 862,477 in 2010.
East Rock of south-central Connecticut, United States, with a high point of 366 feet (112 m), is a 1.4-mile (2 km) long trap rock ridge located primarily in the neighborhood of East Rock on the north side of the city of New Haven. A prominent landscape feature and a popular outdoor recreation area with cliffs that rise 300 feet (91 m) over the city below, East Rock is part of the narrow, linear Metacomet Ridge that extends from Long Island Sound near New Haven, north through the Connecticut River Valley of Massachusetts to the Vermont border. East Rock is the central feature of East Rock Park, a municipal park owned by the city of New Haven along the New Haven-Hamden town line.
The Beinecke Rare Book & Manuscript Library () is the rare book library and literary archive of the Yale University Library in New Haven, Connecticut. Situated on Yale University's Hewitt Quadrangle, the building was designed by Gordon Bunshaft of Skidmore, Owings & Merrill and completed in 1963. Established by a gift of the Beinecke family and given its own endowment, the library is financially independent from the university and is co-governed by the University Library and Yale Corporation. It is one of the largest buildings in the world entirely dedicated to rare books and manuscripts.
Yale Law School (often referred to as Yale Law or YLS) is the law school of Yale University, located in New Haven, Connecticut. Established in 1824, it has been the top-ranked law school in the United States by U.S. News and World Report every year since the magazine began publishing law school rankings in the 1980s.
Southern Connecticut State University (Southern Connecticut, Southern Connecticut State, SCSU, or simply Southern) is a public university in New Haven, Connecticut. Part of the Connecticut State University System, it was founded in 1893 and is governed by the Connecticut Board of Regents for Higher Education.
The Yale Bowl Stadium is a college football stadium in the northeast United States, located in New Haven, Connecticut, on the border of West Haven, about 1½ miles (2½ km) west of the main campus of Yale University. The home of the American football team of the Yale Bulldogs of the Ivy League, it opened in 1914 with 70,896 seats; renovations have reduced its current capacity to 61,446.
Harkness Tower is a masonry tower at Yale University in New Haven, Connecticut. Part of the Collegiate Gothic Memorial Quadrangle complex completed in 1922, it is named for Charles William Harkness, brother of Yale's largest benefactor, Edward Harkness.
The Yale University Library is the library system of Yale University in New Haven, Connecticut. Originating in 1701 with the gift of several dozen books to a new "Collegiate School," the library's collection now contains approximately 15.2 million volumes housed in fifteen university buildings and is the second-largest academic library in North America.
Five Mile Point Light, also known as Five Mile Point Lighthouse or Old New Haven Harbor Lighthouse, is a U.S. lighthouse in Long Island Sound on the coast of New Haven, Connecticut. Located at the entrance to New Haven Harbor, the beacon's name derives from its proximity to Downtown New Haven, about five miles (8 km) away. The original lighthouse consisted of a 30-foot (9.1 m) octagonal wooden tower built in 1805 by Abisha Woodward. In 1847, a new 80-foot (24 m) octagonal tower was constructed by Marcus Bassett with East Haven brownstone. This new beacon was illuminated by 12 lamps with reflectors which were positioned 97 feet (30 m) above sea level. Also constructed at this time was a two-and-one-half story brick house which supplanted the previous, deteriorating keeper's dwelling. A fourth-order Fresnel lens replaced the lamps in 1855 and a fog bell was added in the 1860s. The Five Mile Point Light was deactivated in 1877 when the nearby Southwest Ledge Light was completed. Currently, the lighthouse is contained within Lighthouse Point Park and, along with the keeper's house, was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1990.
360 State Street is a 300-foot (91 m) residential skyscraper completed in 2010 in New Haven, Connecticut. It is the second-tallest building in the city, and the largest apartment building in the state. DeSimone Consulting Engineers were the structural engineers on the building and it won the 2009 New York Construction - Top Project of the Year.
The valley of Amity is an area located partly in the towns of Woodbridge, Bethany, and Orange, Connecticut and partly in the city of New Haven. It is bounded on the northeast by the West Rock ridge, on the south by the Westville neighborhood of New Haven, and on the northwest by an incline in elevation above which lies the highlands of Woodbridge, Connecticut. The official New Haven neighborhood planning maps include the traditionally separate neighborhoods of West Hills (vicinity of Valley Street) and Beverly Hills (area between Whalley Avenue and Fountain Street) within the Amity neighborhood.
The Anne T. & Robert M. Bass Library, formerly Cross Campus Library, is a Yale University Library building holding frequently-used materials in the humanities and social sciences. Located underneath Yale University's Cross Campus, it was completed in 1971 in a minimalist-functionalist style designed by Edward Larrabee Barnes. In 2007, Thomas Beeby led a multimillion-dollar renovation of the library that extensively reconfigured and refurbished its interior space.
Battell Chapel is the largest chapel of Yale University in New Haven, Connecticut. Built in 1874–76, it was funded primarily with gifts from Joseph Battell and others of his family. Succeeding two previous chapel buildings on Yale's Old Campus, it provided space for daily chapel services, which were mandatory for Yale College students until 1926. Together with Durfee Hall and Farnam Hall, the chapel was part of a program begun in the 1870s to build up the perimeter of Old Campus and separate it from the rest of the city. These three buildings, all by the same architect, were among the first at Yale to be named for donors rather than function, location, or legislative funding.
Beaver Hills is a neighborhood in the city of New Haven, Connecticut. The older, east central portion of the neighborhood is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as the Beaver Hills Historic District. The southwest portion is a state historic district called the Fairlawn-Nettleton Historic District.
The Beaver Hills Historic District is a 97-acre (39 ha) historic district in the Beaver Hills neighborhood of New Haven, Connecticut. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1986. In 1986, it included 235 contributing buildings.
Grace Hopper College is a residential college of Yale University, opened in 1933 as one of the original eight undergraduate residential colleges endowed by Edward Harkness. It was originally named Calhoun College after US Vice President John C. Calhoun, but renamed in 2017 in honor of computer scientist Grace Murray Hopper. The building was designed by John Russell Pope.
Christ Church, also known as Christ Church New Haven, is an Episcopal parish church at 70 Broadway in New Haven, Connecticut. Christ Church follows an Anglo-Catholic style of worship and has a strong focus on urban ministry. The parish began as an offshoot from New Haven's Trinity Church, the central Episcopal church on New Haven's town green.
City Point (formerly known as Oyster Point) is an area in what is now The Hill neighborhood of the city of New Haven, Connecticut, located in the southwestern portion of the city. The City Point area was, when settled and through the 18th century, a relatively narrow peninsula extending south into New Haven Harbor, located where the West River empties into the harbor. Areas adjacent to the original peninsula have since been filled in, broadening its shoulders, and Interstate 95 has cut across it. The Oyster Point Historic District is a 26-acre (11 ha) historic district encompassing an area of relatively old buildings in City Point south of I-95.
Claire's Corner Copia is a vegetarian restaurant in New Haven, Connecticut. It is located at 1000 Chapel Street near the campus of Yale University and the New Haven Green. It is owned by chef Claire Criscuolo, and was formerly co-owned with her late husband Frank Criscuolo. The couple used Claire Criscuolo's engagement ring as collateral for the loan they needed to open the restaurant.
Clinton Avenue School is a bilingual (American English and Spanish) school located at 293 Clinton Avenue in the Fair Haven neighborhood of New Haven, Connecticut, USA. It was built in 1911 and underwent extensive renovations beginning in 2004. The original design was similar to the nearby Truman School, both Beaux Arts style buildings.
Common Ground High School (CGHS) is a charter school in New Haven, Connecticut, USA, that aims to prepare students for "college success and environmental leadership". It was founded in 1997 in the first round of charter schools created in Connecticut and is the oldest environmental charter school in the United States. The school subsequently expanded to reach approximately 180 students. Students are admitted by lottery and any Connecticut high school student is eligible to apply.
The Connecticut Children's Museum is located in the Children's Building in New Haven, Connecticut, which houses three programs interwoven in purpose and philosophy: Creating Kids Child Care Center, Creating Curriculum Child Care Provider Training Program, and the Connecticut Children's Museum itself. These programs are inspired by the theory of Multiple Intelligences which concludes that children learn in different ways.
Connecticut Hall (formerly South Middle College) is a Georgian building on the Old Campus of Yale University. Completed in 1752, it was originally a student dormitory, a function it retained for 200 years. Part of the first floor became home to the Yale College Dean's Office after 1905, and the full building was converted to departmental offices in the mid-twentieth century. It is currently used by the Department of Philosophy, and its third story contains a room for meetings of the Yale Faculty of Arts & Sciences, the academic faculty of Yale College and the Graduate School.
Dixwell is a neighborhood of New Haven, Connecticut. Named for Dixwell Avenue, the main thoroughfare of the neighborhood which in turn was named for regicide judge John Dixwell, it is situated generally northwest of and adjacent to Downtown New Haven.
The Dwight Street Historic District is an irregularly shaped 135-acre (55 ha) historic district in New Haven, Connecticut. The district is located immediately west of the center of Downtown New Haven and is generally bounded by Elm Street on the north, Park Street on the east, North Frontage Road on the south, and Sherman Avenue on the west. It contains one of the city's highest concentrations of well-preserved 19th and early 20th-century residential architecture, much of which was developed for the working classes in the city's factories. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983. The historic district includes most of the Dwight neighborhood and several blocks of the northeast corner of the West River neighborhood.
East Rock is a neighborhood in the city of New Haven, Connecticut, named for nearby East Rock, a prominent trap rock ridge. The area is home to a large group of Yale students, staff, and faculty, as well as many young professionals and families. East Rock is also a popular destination for cyclists, as a city bike lane runs along Orange Street, the neighborhood's spine.
East Rock Park is a park in the city of New Haven and the town of Hamden, Connecticut that is operated as a New Haven city park. The park surrounds and includes the mountainous ridge named East Rock and was developed with naturalistic landscaping. The entire 427-acre (173 ha) park is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
East Shore is an area of the city of New Haven, Connecticut. The East Shore consists of two neighborhoods, "Morris Cove" and the "Annex". Its name is derived from its geographic location on the east side of New Haven Harbor. It is bordered on the north by Upson Terrace, on the east by the town of East Haven, on the west and south by Long Island Sound. The area contains several city parks, most notably Lighthouse Point Park (the main public beach of New Haven), East Shore Park, and Nathan Hale Park. Tweed-New Haven Airport is also located partly in the area. East Shore was originally part of the town of East Haven before being annexed by New Haven. The main thoroughfares of the neighborhood are Townsend Avenue (Route 337) and Woodward Avenue.
Edgerton Park, also known as the Frederick F. Brewster Estate, is a 20-acre (8.1 ha) public park on Whitney Avenue, straddling the New Haven–Hamden town line in Connecticut.
Edgewood Historic District is a historic district located in the west-central portion of New Haven, Connecticut. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1986. A predominantly residential area roughly bisected by Edgewood Avenue, a broad boulevard which features a large central esplanade and forms the principal east-west artery through the heart of the district. The area includes 232 contributing buildings, 4 other contributing structures, and 1 contributing object. Most of these were built between about 1888 and 1900, and represent the city's first neighborhood planned under the tenets of the City Beautiful movement. They are generally either Queen Anne or Colonial Revival in style, and are set (especially on the boulevard-like Edgewood Avenue) on larger lots.
Ezra Stiles College is one of the fourteen residential colleges at Yale University, built in 1961 and designed by Eero Saarinen. It is often simply called "Stiles," despite an early-1990s crusade by then-master Traugott Lawler to preserve the use of the full name in everyday speech. The College is named after Ezra Stiles, the seventh President of Yale. Architecturally, it is known for its lack of right angles between walls in the living areas. It sits next to Morse College.
Fair Haven is a neighborhood in the eastern part of the city of New Haven, Connecticut, between the Mill and Quinnipiac rivers. The northeast section of the neighborhood is also known as Chatham Square.
Fair Haven Heights, or simply the Heights, is a residential and light industrial neighborhood in the eastern part of the city of New Haven, Connecticut, located east of the Quinnipiac River. Fair Haven Heights is not to be confused with the adjacent Fair Haven neighborhood west of the river. The area is bordered on the west by the Quinnipiac River, on the north by Route 80, on the east by the town of East Haven, and on the south by Ferry Street and Warwick Avenue. The main through routes are Quinnipiac Avenue, East Grand Avenue, and Eastern Street
Grove Street Cemetery or Grove Street Burial Ground is a cemetery in New Haven, Connecticut, that is surrounded by the Yale University campus. It was organized in 1796 as the New Haven Burying Ground and incorporated in October 1797 to replace the crowded burial ground on the New Haven Green. The first private, nonprofit cemetery in the world, it was one of the earliest burial grounds to have a planned layout, with plots permanently owned by individual families, a structured arrangement of ornamental plantings, and paved and named streets and avenues. By introducing ideas like permanent memorials and the sanctity of the deceased body, the cemetery became "a real turning point... a whole redefinition of how people viewed death and dying", according to historian Peter Dobkin Hall. Many notable Yale and New Haven luminaries are buried in the Grove Street Cemetery, including 14 Yale presidents; nevertheless, it was not restricted to members of the upper class, and was open to all.
Union Station, also known as New Haven Railroad Station (IATA: ZVE) or simply New Haven, is the main railroad passenger station in New Haven, Connecticut. Designed by noted American architect Cass Gilbert, the beaux-arts Union Station was completed and opened in 1920 after the previous Union Station (which was located at the foot of Meadow Street, near the site of the current Union Station parking garage) was destroyed by fire. It served the New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad until it fell into decline, along with the rest of the railroad industry in North America after World War II. It was shuttered in 1972, leaving only the under-track 'subway' open for passengers, and listed on the National Register of Historic Places on September 3, 1975, but it was almost demolished before the Northeast Corridor Improvement Project in 1979. Reopened after extensive renovations in early 1985, it is now the premier gateway to the city.
The James Dwight Dana House, also known as the Dana House, is a historic 19th-century Italianate house at 24 Hillhouse Avenue in New Haven, Connecticut, in the United States. This building, designed by New Haven architect Henry Austin, was the home of Yale University geology professor James Dwight Dana (1813–95). It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1965 for its association with Dana, who produced the first published works emphasizing that the study of geology was a much broader discipline than the examination of individual rocks.
Jonathan Edwards College (informally JE) is a residential college at Yale University. It is named for theologian and minister Jonathan Edwards, a 1720 graduate of Yale College. Opened to undergraduates in 1933, JE is one of the original eight residential colleges donated by Edward Harkness. It is also among the smallest of Yale's residential colleges, by both footprint and undergraduate membership.
The Yale Center for British Art at Yale University in downtown New Haven, Connecticut, houses the largest and most comprehensive collection of British art outside the United Kingdom. The collection of paintings, sculpture, drawings, prints, rare books, and manuscripts reflects the development of British art and culture from the Elizabethan period onward.
The Kennedy Mitchell Hall of Records is located in New Haven, Connecticut and houses many of the City of New Haven's governmental functions, including finance, vital statistics, offices of the town clerk, and public hearing rooms where city policy is debated.
Trowbridge Square Historic District, originally known as Village of Spireworth and Mount Pleasant, is a well-preserved 19th-century neighborhood in the Hill section New Haven, Connecticut. Roughly bounded by Columbus, Howard, and Union Avenues, and Church Street on the east, the area was laid out in 1830 and developed as a working-class neighborhood. It retains its historic streetscape, and many original buildings, representing modest versions of a diversity of mid-to-late 19th century styles. The district was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1985.
The River Street Historic District encompasses a historic industrial area in the Fair Haven section of New Haven, Connecticut. Located south of Church Street between James Street and Blatchley Avenue, the industrial buildings here date to New Haven's growth as a major industrial center between the American Civil War and World War I, with significant emphasis on metalworking businesses. The district was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1989.
The Upper State Street Historic District encompasses a well-preserved neighborhood commercial district of the late 19th century in the East Rock neighborhood of New Haven, Connecticut. The district is an irregular strip running NNE to SSW mainly along State Street in New Haven (between Bradley Street and the Mill River), one block west of Interstate 91, the highway which determines the district's eastern and southern borders. The district was listed on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places in 1984.
The Goffe Street Special School for Colored Children is an important landmark of African-American history at 106 Goffe Street in New Haven, Connecticut. The building, also known as Prince Hall Grand Lodge of Masons, was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.
The Whitney Avenue Historic District is a historic district in the East Rock neighborhood of New Haven, Connecticut. It is a 203-acre (82 ha) district which included 1,084 contributing buildings when it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1989.
The Eli, formerly the Southern New England Telephone Company Administration Building, is a skyscraper at 227 Church Street in downtown New Haven, Connecticut. Completed in 1938, it is the city's finest example of Art Deco architecture, and was headquarters to the Southern New England Telephone Company (SNET), which oversaw the building of the state's telephone networks. Designed by Douglas Orr and Roy W. Foote, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1997.
The Yale University Art Gallery, the oldest university art museum in the Western Hemisphere, houses a significant and encyclopedic collection of art in several buildings on the campus of Yale University in New Haven, Connecticut. Although it embraces all cultures and periods, the gallery emphasizes early Italian painting, African sculpture, and modern art. The museum is a member of the North American Reciprocal Museums program.
Albertus Magnus College is a Catholic private liberal arts college in New Haven, Connecticut, United States. Founded by the Dominican Sisters of St. Mary of the Springs (now Dominican Sisters of Peace), it is located in the Prospect Hill neighborhood of New Haven, near the border with Hamden.
The Chapel Street Historic District is a 23-acre (9.3 ha) historic district in the Downtown New Haven area of the city of New Haven, Connecticut. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984. The district covers the southwestern corner of Downtown New Haven, including properties from Park Street to Temple Street between Chapel and Crown streets, and properties from High Street to Temple Street between George and Crown streets. It is bordered on the north by the New Haven Green and the Yale University campus. The western edge borders the Dwight Street Historic District. The eastern and southern edges of the district abut areas of more modern development.
Fort Nathan Hale, also known as Fort Hale Park, Black Rock, is a 20-acre (8.1 ha) city park located on the east shore of New Haven Harbor in New Haven, Connecticut. It includes the site of a 1659 fort, a Revolutionary War-era fort, and a Civil War-era fort. The fort was named after Nathan Hale, Connecticut's official hero. Since 1921, the site has been owned by the state of Connecticut. It has been used as a park and maintained as a historical site by the City of New Haven. Educational programs are given throughout the year to students attending local schools.
Downtown New Haven is the neighborhood located in the heart of the city of New Haven, Connecticut. It is made up of the original nine squares laid out in 1638 to form New Haven, including the New Haven Green, and the immediate surrounding central business district, as well as a significant portion of the Yale University campus. The area includes many restaurants, cafes, theaters and stores. Downtown is bordered by Wooster Square to the east, Long Wharf to the southeast, the Hill neighborhood to the south, the Dwight neighborhood to the west, the Dixwell neighborhood to the northwest, the Prospect Hill area to the north, and East Rock to the northeast.
The Lighthouse Point Carousel is located in the East Shore section of New Haven, Connecticut in Lighthouse Point Park. The carousel was built about 1905, and is one of a shrinking number of early 20th-century carousels left in the state, featuring the carvings of Charles Looff and Charles Carmel. The carousel and its 1916 building were together listed on the National Register of Historic Places on December 15, 1983.
Quinnipiac River Historic District is a 313-acre (127 ha) historic district straddling the Quinnipiac River in the Fair Haven and Fair Haven Heights neighborhoods of New Haven, Connecticut. It encompasses most of the historic maritime village of Fair Haven, with a history dating back to the 18th century. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984. At that time it included 524 contributing buildings, an inland wetland at the mouth of Hemingway Creek on the northeast corner of the district, and the Grand Avenue Swing Bridge over the Quinnipiac River connecting Fair Haven with Fair Haven Heights at the center of the district.
The Imperial Granum-Joseph Parker Buildings, also known historically as the Del Monico Building, are a pair of conjoined historic commercial buildings at Elm and Orange Streets in downtown New Haven, Connecticut. Built in 1875 and 1877, the two buildings are among the finest examples of the architecture of that period in the city, with one sporting one of the city's only surviving cast iron facades. The buildings were listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1986.
The Hall-Benedict Drug Company Building is a historic commercial building at 763-767 Orange Street in the East Rock neighborhood of New Haven, Connecticut. Built in 1909 to house a pharmacy, it is a little-altered and well-preserved example of an early 20th-century mixed residential-commercial neighborhood building. The building was listed on the National Register in 1986. It is also a contributing property in the Whitney Avenue Historic District.
Davenport College (colloquially referred to as D'port) is one of the fourteen residential colleges of Yale University. Its buildings were completed in 1933 mainly in the Georgian style but with a gothic façade along York Street. The college was named for John Davenport, who founded Yale's home city of New Haven, Connecticut. An extensive renovation of the college's buildings occurred during the 2004–2005 academic year as part of Yale's comprehensive building renovation project. Davenport College has an unofficial rivalry with adjoining Pierson College.
Marsh Hall, historically known as the Othniel C. Marsh House, is a historic house on Prospect Hill in New Haven, Connecticut. The property, which includes the house and a 6.8 acres (2.8 ha) grounds now known as Marsh Botanical Garden, was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1965. It was built in 1878 as the home of Othniel Marsh (1831–99), a leading 19th-century paleontologist, who occupied it until his death. The house is now owned by Yale University, and the building is occupied by the Yale School of Forestry and Environmental Studies.
The New Haven Jewish Home for the Aged is a historic nursing home at 169 Davenport Avenue in the Hill neighborhood of New Haven, Connecticut. Completed in 1923 and repeatedly enlarged thereafter, it was the second organization in the state to provide housing and medical care to the local elderly and indigent Jewish population. The building, still in use as a nursing home, was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.
The Wooster Square Historic District encompasses much of the Wooster Square neighborhood of New Haven, Connecticut. Centered on a rectangular park named in honor of General David Wooster, the area was developed as a residential neighborhood beginning in the 1820s, and was by the 1840s a desirable area to live, with many high-quality Greek Revival homes. In the 1950s the area was the subject of a major community-led preservation effort that drew national attention. The district was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.
Hillhouse Avenue is a street in New Haven, Connecticut, famous for its many nineteenth century mansions, including the president's house at Yale University. Both Charles Dickens and Mark Twain have described it as "the most beautiful street in America." Much of the avenue is included in the Hillhouse Avenue Historic District, which extends to include houses on adjacent streets.
The Orange Street Historic District encompasses a large residential in the East Rock section of New Haven, Connecticut. Roughly bounded by Orange, Cottage, Eagle, State, and Audubon Streets, this area saw growth between about 1830 and 1900, and includes a broad diversity of well-preserved 19th-century residential structures. It was listed on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places in 1985. At that time, it included 546 buildings deemed to contribute to the historic character of the area.
The Elisha Blackman Building, also known as the York-Chapel Building, is a historic mixed commercial-residential building at 176 York Street in the Downtown New Haven neighborhood of New Haven, Connecticut. Built in 1883, it is a finely crafted example of 19th-century commercial architecture, and is one of the few such buildings to survive in the city. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.
The New Haven Lawn Club is a private club located on Whitney Avenue in New Haven, Connecticut close to Yale University. It is a social and athletic facility.
The Howard Avenue Historic District is a 32-acre (13 ha) historic district in The Hill neighborhood of the city of New Haven, Connecticut. Extending along Howard Avenue between Minor Street and Interstate 95, it contains an unusually high concentration of well-preserved late 19th-century middle class vernacular architecture, reflecting the area's growth at that time. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1985.
New Haven State Street station is a commuter rail station located on State Street in downtown New Haven, Connecticut. The secondary railroad station in the city, it is located 0.8 miles (1.3 km) northeast of the much larger New Haven Union Station and is intended to offer easier access to New Haven's downtown business district. It is served by Shore Line East and Hartford Line commuter trains, Amtrak Hartford Line trains, Springfield-terminating Northeast Regional trains, and Valley Flyer trains, and a limited number of Metro-North Railroad New Haven Line trains. Originally proposed in 1996, State Street opened on June 7, 2002. A second platform opened on June 8, 2018, in time for the beginning of Hartford Line service.
Long Wharf Theatre is a nonprofit institution in New Haven, Connecticut, a pioneer in the not-for-profit regional theatre movement, the originator of several prominent plays, and a venue where many internationally known actors have appeared.
Louis' Lunch is a hamburger restaurant in New Haven, Connecticut, which claims to be the first restaurant to serve hamburgers and the oldest hamburger restaurant in the United States. It was opened as a small lunch wagon in 1895 and was one of the first places in the U.S. to serve steak sandwiches. According to Louis' Lunch, the hamburger was created in 1900 in response to a customer's hurried request for a lunch to go. In 1917, Louis moved the business into a square-shaped brick building that had once been a tannery.
Mill River is a primarily industrial neighborhood in the city of New Haven, Connecticut located between the Wooster Square and Fair Haven neighborhoods.
Miya's is a restaurant in New Haven, Connecticut, United States, credited as the first sustainable sushi restaurant in the world. The restaurant was founded by Yoshiko Lai, a Japanese nutritionist. They are slated to close at the end of 2020.
Modern Apizza is an American pizza restaurant in New Haven, Connecticut. Along with Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana and Sally's Apizza, Modern forms what is informally referred to by locals as the "Holy Trinity" of New Haven-style pizza; the three pizza parlors are consistently ranked by food critics as some of the best pizza places in the world.
Morse College is one of the fourteen residential colleges at Yale University, built in 1961 and designed by Eero Saarinen. It is adjacent to Ezra Stiles College and the two colleges share many facilities. The current Head of College (formerly Master) is Catherine Panter-Brick. The Associate Head of College is Mark Eggerman. Angela Gleason is the Dean of Morse College.
Mory's, known also as Mory's Temple Bar, is a private club adjacent to the campus of Yale University in New Haven, Connecticut, United States, founded in 1849 and housed in a clubhouse that was originally a private home built sometime before 1817. Originally it was a restaurant, especially hospitable to Yale undergraduates (it extended them credit), located at the corner of Temple and Center Streets, but in 1912, when the building was to be demolished, the owner and proprietor (since 1898), Louis Linder, sold it to a group of Yale alumni who moved the bar to 306 York Street and turned it into a membership club.
The New Haven County Courthouse is located at 121 Elm Street in the Downtown section of New Haven, Connecticut. The building was built in 1917 and was added to the National Register of Historic Places on May 16, 2003. It is one of the city's finest examples of Beaux Arts architecture, with a particularly elaborate central atrium, and was the site of Griswold v. Connecticut, a historic court case involving women's right to birth control.
The New Haven Free Public Library (also known as the NHFPL) is the public library system serving New Haven, Connecticut.
The New Haven Green is a 16-acre (65,000 m2) privately owned park and recreation area located in the downtown district of the city of New Haven, Connecticut. It comprises the central square of the nine-square settlement plan of the original Puritan colonists in New Haven, and was designed and surveyed by colonist John Brockett. Today the Green is bordered by the modern paved roads of College, Chapel, Church, and Elm streets. Temple Street bisects the Green into upper (northwest) and lower (southeast) halves.
The Osborn Memorial Laboratories in New Haven, Connecticut were built in 1913 as the home for biology at Yale University. In the past, they contained both zoology and botany, in the two wings on Sachem Street and Prospect Street (address: 165 Prospect St.). They sit at the base of Sachem's Woods: the original site of Highwood, the mansion of James Abraham Hillhouse. This area is now known as Science Hill and is the site of Kline Biology Tower, Sage Hall (Yale School of Forestry and Environmental Studies), and chemistry and physics buildings. The building sits across Prospect Street from Ingalls Rink and across Sachem from the Yale School of Management. It was designed by the architect Charles C. Haight, who also designed buildings of the original Columbia University campus on the current site of Rockefeller Center.
The Payne Whitney Gymnasium is the gymnasium of Yale University. One of the largest athletic facilities ever built, its twelve acres of interior space include a nine-story tower containing a third-floor swimming pool, fencing facilities, and a polo practice room. The building houses the facilities of many varsity teams at Yale, including basketball, fencing, gymnastics, squash, swimming, and volleyball. It is the second-largest gym in the world by cubic feet and the 94th largest in the United States by square footage.
Pierson College is a residential college at Yale University in New Haven, Connecticut. Opened in 1933, it is named for Abraham Pierson, a founder and the first rector of the Collegiate School, the college later known as Yale. With just under 500 undergraduate members, Pierson is the largest of Yale's residential colleges by number of students.
Plymouth Congregational Church, also known as Plymouth Church or Temple Keser Israel, is a former late-nineteenth-century Congregational Church at 1469 Chapel Street in New Haven, Connecticut. The church, a fine example of Romanesque Revival architecture, was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983. The church is a notable example of an adaptive reuse, having been converted into a synagogue and medical office building.
Prospect Hill is a neighborhood of the city of New Haven, Connecticut located in the north central portion of the city, directly north of Downtown New Haven. The neighborhood contains residences, institutional buildings of Albertus Magnus University and a portion of the main campus of Yale University, including the Science Hill area, the Hillhouse Avenue area and the Yale Peabody Museum. The City of New Haven defines the neighborhood to be the region bounded by the town of Hamden in the north, Winchester Avenue in the west, Munson Street/Hillside Place/Prospect Street in the southwest, Trumbull Street in the south, and Whitney Avenue in the east. Prospect Street is the main thoroughfare through the neighborhood.
The Prospect Hill Historic District is an irregularly-shaped 185-acre (75 ha) historic district in New Haven, Connecticut. The district encompasses most of the residential portion of the Prospect Hill neighborhood.
Quinnipiac Meadows, also known as Bishop Woods, is a neighborhood in the northeast corner of the city of New Haven, Connecticut located east of the Quinnipiac River and north of Fair Haven and Fair Haven Heights. It contains a considerable wetlands area which is a nature preserve. The area is bordered on the north by the town of North Haven, on the east by the town of East Haven, on the south by Route 80, on the southwest by Interstate 91 (between Exits 7 and 8), and on the west by the Amtrak railroad tracks (along the banks of the Quinnipiac River). The portion of the area west of I-91 is also part of the community known as Cedar Hill.
Reese Stadium is a multi-purpose stadium located on the campus of Yale University in New Haven, Connecticut. It is home to the Yale Bulldogs soccer and lacrosse teams. Reese Stadium is also the home of the Elm City Express professional soccer team.
Saint Bernadette School is a private, catholic elementary school in New Haven, Connecticut founded in 1956 and is merged with Saint Bernadette Catholic Church. It provides education for ages 3–14 and usually stays within 150-200 kids in the school. The current principal is Edward Goad.
The Shubert Theatre is a 1,600-seat theatre located at 247 College Street in New Haven, Connecticut. Originally opened in 1914 by The Shubert Organization, it was designed by Albert Swazey, a New York architect and built by the H.E. Murdock Construction Company. It is currently operated as a non-profit organization by CAPA (The Connecticut Association for the Performing Arts) under the aegis of the Columbus Association for the Performing Arts.
Silliman College is a residential college at Yale University in New Haven, Connecticut, named for scientist and Yale professor Benjamin Silliman. It opened in September 1940 as the last of the original ten residential colleges, and contains buildings constructed as early as 1901.
The Ninth Square Historic District encompasses a historically diverse and well-preserved part of the commercial area of Downtown New Haven, Connecticut. The district is bounded by Church, Court, State, and Crown Streets, and is centered on the intersection of Chapel and Orange Streets. The buildings in the district are mostly late-19th and early 20th commercial buildings, and includes a number of commercial buildings from the first half of the 19th century, a rarity in most of Connecticut's urban downtown areas. The district was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.
The Cullman-Heyman Tennis Center is an 8-court indoor intercollegiate tennis facility located on the campus of Yale University in New Haven, Connecticut. The Cullman-Heyman Tennis Center is part of the Yale University tennis complex which consists of 17 outdoor and 8 indoor DecoTurf hardcourts. Across Yale Avenue from the Yale Tennis Complex is the Connecticut Tennis Center Stadium, which hosted men's and women's professional tennis tournaments now sits empty and unused. In 2019 approval was given to convert the stadium into a concert venue. The Stadium was built in 1991, and by 2009 it had seats for 15,000 spectators. The current capacity of the Connecticut Tennis Center Stadium is around 15,000, making it the third largest tennis venue in the United States and one of the largest in the world by capacity. The Cullman-Heyman Tennis Center is located at 279 Derby Avenue, West Haven, CT 06516. It is one of the nicest indoor collegiate tennis facilities in the country. The facility has a master scoreboard and there are HD video cameras on every court that support streaming. All eight courts also have individual scoreboards. The facility has hosted major intercollegiate national championships like the ITA Indoor Collegiate Individual Championships in 2009 and the ITA Women's Team Championships in February 2017. CHTC also hosts the ECAC Championships and the ITA Regional Individual Championships every year.
Yale College is the undergraduate college of Yale University. Founded in 1701, it is the original school of the university. Although other Yale schools were founded as early as 1810, all of Yale was officially known as Yale College until 1887, when its schools were confederated and the institution was renamed Yale University. It is one of the most prestigious colleges in the United States.
The Russell Henry Chittenden House is a historic house at 83 Trumbull Street in New Haven, Connecticut. Built in the 1880s, it was the longtime home of Russell Henry Chittenden, who lived there from 1887 to his death in 1943. Chittenden, known as the "father of American biochemistry", was a professor at Yale University, and the house was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1975 in recognition of his importance.
The Connecticut Financial Center is the tallest building in New Haven, Connecticut, and the sixth tallest building in the state. The 383 foot postmodern skyscraper was designed by the Toronto architectural firm Crang and Boake and completed in 1990. It is adjacent to New Haven City Hall facing the New Haven Green in Downtown New Haven. Among the current tenants of the building are United Illuminating, Bank of America, Merrill Lynch, the U.S. Attorney’s Office, U.S. Bankruptcy Court, and the Social Security Administration’s Office of Hearings and Appeals. The CFC stands on the former site of the Powell Building, which was New Haven's first skyscraper.
St. Luke's Episcopal Church is a historic church at 111-113 Whalley Avenue in New Haven, Connecticut. Built in 1905 for a congregation founded in 1844, it is a good example of late Gothic Revival architecture, and is further notable as the second church in the city established as an African-American congregation. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2003.
The Annex is a residential neighborhood in the city of New Haven, Connecticut. Originally part of East Haven, the neighborhood was voluntarily ceded by East Haven and annexed by the city of New Haven in the 1880s. It is located on the eastern side of New Haven Harbor across from Long Wharf. The City of New Haven defines the neighborhood to be the region bounded by Upson Terrace and East Shore Park on the south (border with Morris Cove), the city of East Haven on the east, Warwick Street and East Ferry Street on the northeast (border with Fair Haven Heights), the Quinnipiac River on the northwest, and New Haven Harbor on the west.
The Hill is the southwestern-most neighborhood of New Haven, Connecticut. As early as 1800, this area was known as "Sodom Hill". Located directly south of Downtown New Haven, the neighborhood is now home to New Haven Union Station as well as Yale-New Haven Hospital and the Yale School of Medicine.
Timothy Dwight College, commonly abbreviated and referred to as "TD", is a residential college at Yale University named after two presidents of Yale, Timothy Dwight IV and his grandson, Timothy Dwight V. The college was designed in 1935 by James Gamble Rogers in the Federal-style architecture popular during the elder Timothy Dwight's presidency and was most recently renovated in 2002. In 2015, TD won its Yale-leading 13th Tyng Cup, the championship prize for Yale's year-long intramural athletic competition among the fourteen residential colleges.
Trumbull College is one of fourteen undergraduate residential colleges of Yale University in New Haven, Connecticut. The college is named for Jonathan Trumbull, governor of Connecticut from 1769 to 1784 and advisor and friend to General George Washington. A Harvard College graduate, Trumbull was the only colonial governor to support the American Revolution.
Harmanus Welch Hall is a freshman dormitory at Yale University in New Haven, Connecticut, United States. The building is located on Yale University's Old Campus. Pierce N. Welch, an 1862 graduate of Yale College, Mrs. Cora Van Milligan, and Mrs. Grace M. Davies, heirs of Harmanus M. Welch, mayor of New Haven from 1860 to 1863, donated the building to Yale in 1891 in accordance with their father's wishes. The architect Bruce Price designed the building.
The Welch Training School, also known as the Welch School, is a historic school building at 495 Congress Street in New Haven, Connecticut. Built in 1883, it is a good example of Queen Anne architecture as applied to school buildings, and was the city's first teacher training school. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983. The building now houses a substance abuse clinic.
West River is an official neighborhood of the city of New Haven, Connecticut. The neighborhood covers the part of the city east of the West River (boundary with the city of West Haven) and south of Chapel Street. Official planning maps run the eastern and southern boundaries run along Day Street, Legion Avenue, Winthrop Avenue, and Davenport Avenue. The neighborhood includes West River Memorial Park and Evergreen Cemetery. The Hospital of St. Raphael is also included within the official neighborhood planning area.
Westville is a neighborhood of the city of New Haven, Connecticut. It is consistently ranked as one of the best neighborhoods to live in New Haven due to its high home values, low crime rates, walkable streets, proximity to downtown, and local amenities.
Wilbur Cross High School is a four-year public high school in the East Rock neighborhood of New Haven, Connecticut, United States, serving ninth through twelfth grades. The school is named after Connecticut Governor Wilbur Lucius Cross and is the largest school in the New Haven Public Schools in the number of students as well as teachers. The school operates with two semesters and four marking periods.
Yale Repertory Theatre at Yale University in New Haven, Connecticut was founded by Robert Brustein, dean of Yale School of Drama, in 1966, with the goal of facilitating a meaningful collaboration between theatre professionals and talented students. In the process it has become one of the first distinguished regional theatres. Located at the edge of Yale's main downtown campus, it occupies the former Calvary Baptist Church.
The Yale Collection of Musical Instruments, a division of the Yale School of Music, is a museum in New Haven, Connecticut. It was established in 1900 by a gift of historic keyboard instruments from Morris Steinert, and later enriched in 1960 and 1962 by the acquisition of the Belle Skinner and Emil Herrmann collections. Initially housed under the dome of Woolsey Hall, it was moved in 1961 to a historic Romanesque structure on Hillhouse Avenue, constructed in 1895 for the Alpha Delta Phi fraternity.
The Yale University Observatory, also known as the Leitner Family Observatory and Planetarium, is an astronomical observatory owned and operated by Yale University, and maintained for student use. It is located in Farnham Memorial Gardens near the corner of Edwards and Prospect Streets, New Haven, Connecticut.
The Yale Golf Course, or Yale University Golf Course, located on a property called the Ray Tompkins Memorial, is a golf course in New Haven, Connecticut owned and operated by Yale University. It is a superb example of Golden Age American golf course design, with large undulating greens, uncommonly deep bunkers and wide rolling fairways that frequently present blind drive and approach shots. A late-career Charles Blair Macdonald and Seth Raynor collaboration, it followed their penchant for template holes, inspired by the most famous examples from Scotland and England, especially St. Andrews Old Course, North Berwick and Prestwick. Yale is notable among architecture enthusiasts for its enormous scale. The size of some of the greens and the depth of some bunkers is rarely equaled. In 2019, Golf Magazine ranked Yale as the 83rd best course in the world. The 2017 Golfweek's Best Classic Courses list ranked Yale at #49 on the list. In 2011, Golf Magazine name Yale Golf Course #71 on its Top 100 Courses in the United States. In particular, the 440-yard (400 m) par-4 fourth hole and the 238-yard (218 m) par-3 ninth hole have been ranked among the 100 most difficult holes. In 2010, Golfweek named it the best campus course in the United States.
Yale New Haven Hospital (YNHH) is a 1,541-bed hospital located in New Haven, Connecticut. It is owned and operated by the Yale New Haven Health System. YNHH includes the 168-bed Smilow Cancer Hospital at Yale New Haven, the 201-bed Yale New Haven Children's Hospital, and the 76-bed Yale New Haven Psychiatric Hospital, making it one of the largest hospitals in the world and the largest in Connecticut. It is the primary teaching hospital for Yale School of Medicine and Yale School of Nursing.
The New Haven City Hall and County Courthouse is located at 161 Church Street in the Downtown section of New Haven, Connecticut. The city hall building, designed by Henry Austin, was built in 1861; the old courthouse building, now an annex, designed by David R. Brown, was built in 1871–1873. They stand on the east side of the New Haven Green.
The Lincoln Theatre, also known as Little Theatre on Lincoln Street, is a historic performance space at 1 Lincoln Street in New Haven, Connecticut. Built in 1924, it is the only known survivor in the state of the Little Theatre Movement of 1911-1933. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984. After a major rehabilitation in the 2010s, the theater was reopened, and is now known as the ACES Little Theatre.
New Haven Academy is a four-year, ninth through twelfth grade high school in New Haven, CT. New Haven Academy was founded by Gregory Baldwin and Meredith Gavrin in 2003 as an interdistrict magnet school and part of the New Haven Public School district. The school provides a college preparatory education modeled for Collaborative Education (ICE), a New York City school.
Woolsey Hall is the primary auditorium at Yale University, located on the campus' Hewitt Quadrangle in New Haven, Connecticut. It was built as part of the Bicentennial Buildings complex that includes the Memorial Rotunda and the University Commons, designed by the firm Carrère and Hastings for the Yale bicentennial celebration in 1901. With approximately 2,650 seats, it is the university's largest auditorium and hosts concerts, performances, and university ceremonies including the annual freshman convocation, senior baccalaureate, and presidential inaugurations. The building is named for Theodore Dwight Woolsey, President of Yale from 1846 through 1871.
Wooster Square is a neighborhood in the city of New Haven, Connecticut to the east of downtown. The name refers to a park square (named for the American Revolutionary War hero, David Wooster) located between Greene Street, Wooster Place, Chapel Street and Academy Street in the center of the neighborhood. Wooster Square is also known as Little Italy: a bastion of Italian American culture and cuisine, and is home to some of New Haven's (and the country's), best-known pizza (specifically, apizza) eateries, including Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana and Sally's Apizza. The square and much of the neighborhood are included in the Wooster Square Historic District, which was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.
Betts House, also known as the John M. Davies House or Davies Mansion, is a mansion owned by Yale University in the Prospect Hill Historic District of New Haven, Connecticut. Completed in 1868 and designed by Henry Austin, it was sold to Yale in 1972 and is now home to the Yale Center for the Study of Globalization.
Evergreen Cemetery is located in the West River neighborhood of New Haven, Connecticut. It was founded by some of New Haven's most prominent citizens in 1848. Evergreen Cemetery is a non-sectarian, non-profit organization that is managed by the Association's board of trustees.
The Amistad Memorial in New Haven, Connecticut is a bronze sculpture created by Ed Hamilton to recognize the events of the 1839 Amistad Affair. The affair was a kidnapping of 53 Africans and their subsequent mutiny aboard La Amistad. It led to a historically significant United States Supreme Court case, in which the Amistad captives were ruled to be acting in self-defense, thereby granting them the right to mutiny.