The Schirn Kunsthalle is an exhibition hall in Frankfurt, Germany, located in the old city between the Römer and the Frankfurt Cathedral. The Schirn exhibits both modern and contemporary art. It is the main venue for temporary art exhibitions in Frankfurt. Exhibitions in recent years included retrospectives of Wassily Kandinsky, Marc Chagall, Frida Kahlo, Alberto Giacometti, Bill Viola, and Yves Klein. The Kunsthalle opened in 1986 and is financially supported by the city and the state. Historically, the German term "Schirn" denotes an open-air stall for the sale of goods, and such stalls were located here until the 19th century. The area was destroyed in 1944 during the Second World War and was not redeveloped until the building of the Kunsthalle. As an exhibition venue, the Schirn enjoys national and international renown, which it has attained through independent productions, publications, and exhibition collaborations with museums such as the Centre Pompidou, the Tate Gallery, the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, the Hermitage Museum, or the Museum of Modern Art.
The Römer (German surname, "Roman") is a medieval building in the Altstadt of Frankfurt am Main, Germany, and one of the city's most important landmarks. The Römer is located opposite the Old St. Nicholas church and has been the city hall (Rathaus) of Frankfurt for over 600 years. The Römer merchant family sold it together with a second building, the Goldener Schwan (Golden Swan), to the city council on March 11, 1405 and it was converted for use as the city hall. The Haus Römer is actually the middle building of a set of three located in the Römerberg (a plaza).
The Historical Museum (German: Historisches Museum) in Frankfurt am Main, Germany, was founded in 1878, and includes cultural and historical objects relating to the history of Frankfurt and Germany. It moved into the Saalhof in 1955, and a new extension was opened in 1972.
Frankfurt am Main Konstablerwache station (German: Bahnhof Frankfurt am Main Konstablerwache) is a major train station and metro station at the Konstablerwache square in the city centre of Frankfurt am Main, Germany.
For almost five centuries, the German city of Frankfurt was a city-state within two major Germanic entities:
St. Leonhard is a Catholic church and parish in Frankfurt, Hesse, Germany. The building dates to 1219, when it was erected in the centre of the town close to the river Main, as a Romanesque-style basilica. From 1425, it was remodeled to a hall church in late Gothic style. St. Leonhard was the only one of nine churches in the Old Town that survived World War II almost undamaged. Today, the parish is part of the Domgemeinde (Cathedral parish) and serves as the parish church of English-speaking Catholics. It is a monument of Frankfurt's history as well as church history and medieval crafts.
The Dominican Monastery (German: Dominikanerkloster) is a former Christian monastery in Frankfurt am Main. It is the seat of Protestant Regional Association, a group of Protestant congregations and deaneries in the city, and serves as the convention site for the Synod of the Protestant Church in Hesse and Nassau, held usually twice a year. The former monastery compound includes a Lutheran church building, called the Church of the Holy Spirit (German: Heiliggeistkirche).