Dahlgren Chapel of the Sacred Heart, often shortened to Dahlgren Chapel, is a Roman Catholic chapel located in Dahlgren Quadrangle on the main campus of Georgetown University in Washington, D.C. Built in 1893, it is located in the historic center of the campus.
Healy Hall is a National Historic Landmark and the flagship building of the main campus of Georgetown University in Washington, D.C. Constructed between 1877–1879, the hall was designed by Paul J. Pelz and John L. Smithmeyer, prominent architects who also built the Library of Congress. The structure was named after Patrick Francis Healy, who was the President of Georgetown University at the time.
The Ukrainian Embassy in Washington, D.C. is the diplomatic mission of Ukraine to the United States. The embassy is located at 3350 M Street NW, in the heart of Georgetown's commercial district.
The Joseph Mark Lauinger Library is the main library of Georgetown University and the center of the seven-library Georgetown library system that includes 3.5 million volumes. It holds 1.7 million volumes on six floors and has accommodations for individual and group study on all levels. It is generally referred to colloquially as "Lau" by Georgetown students.
The Chesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historical Park is located in the District of Columbia and the states of Maryland and West Virginia. The park was established in 1961 as a National Monument by President Dwight D. Eisenhower to preserve the neglected remains of the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal and many of its original structures. The canal and towpath trail extends along the Potomac River from Georgetown, Washington, D.C., to Cumberland, Maryland, a distance of 184.5 miles (296.9 km). In 2013, the path was designated as the first section of U.S. Bicycle Route 50.
The Customhouse and Post Office in Georgetown, Washington, D.C., was completed in 1858 in a Renaissance Revival–Italian Palace style. Construction cost was $55,468. The first floor was occupied by a branch post office and the second floor by the Customs Service. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1971. It was already included as a contributing building within the Georgetown Historic District.
The Danish Embassy in Washington, D.C. is the Kingdom of Denmark's diplomatic mission to the United States. It is located at 3200 Whitehaven St., NW in Washington, D.C. The embassy also operates Consulate-General in New York City.
The Embassy of Venezuela in Washington, D.C. is the diplomatic mission of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela to the United States. The embassy is located at 1099 30th Street, Northwest, Washington, D.C. in the Georgetown neighborhood.
Filomena Ristorante is an Italian restaurant located in the historic neighborhood of Georgetown in Washington, D.C. It opened along Washington’s C&O Canal in 1983. The establishment is set in a garden atmosphere and serves old-world regional Italian specialties and European desserts made by an in-house bakery. Filomena’s ‘Pasta Mamas’ prepare fresh pasta in a quaint storefront kitchen, greeting patrons as they enter the restaurant.
Georgetown Cupcake is a cupcakery based in the Georgetown neighborhood of Washington, D.C. that has now expanded to 6 other locations nationwide. Sisters Katherine Berman (née Kallinis) and Sophie LaMontagne (née Kallinis) opened the shop in February 2008.
MedStar Georgetown University Hospital is one of the national capital area's oldest academic teaching hospitals. It is a not-for-profit, acute care teaching and research facility located in the Georgetown neighborhood of the Northwest Quadrant of Washington, D.C. MedStar Georgetown is co-located with the Georgetown University Medical Center and is affiliated with the Georgetown University School of Medicine. MedStar Georgetown is home to the Georgetown Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center, as well as centers of excellence in the neurology, neurosurgery, psychiatry, gastroenterology, transplant and vascular surgery. Originally named Georgetown University Hospital, it became part of the MedStar Health network in 2000.
The Georgetown Waterfront Park is a national park completed in Washington, DC in the fall of 2011. Part of the Georgetown Historic District, the park stretches along the banks of the Potomac River from 31st Street, NW to the Key Bridge. The result of many years of advocacy and fundraising, the site features several notable design elements. Now complete, the park links 225 miles (362 km) of parkland along the Potomac River stretching from Cumberland, Maryland to Mount Vernon, Virginia. The park was designed to passively complement the natural curve of the river.
Grace Episcopal Church, built in 1867, is an historic Episcopal church located at 1041 Wisconsin Avenue, NW, in the Georgetown neighborhood of Washington, D.C.. Historically known as Grace Protestant Episcopal Church, it was added under that name to the National Register of Historic Places on May 6, 1971. It is also known as Mission Church for Canal Boatmen.
Halcyon House is a Federal-style home in Washington, D.C. Located in the heart of Georgetown, the house was built beginning in 1787 by the first Secretary of the Navy, Benjamin Stoddert. Its gardens were designed by Pierre L'Enfant, and for several decades in the early 19th century Halcyon House was the center of much of Washington's social life.
Holy Trinity Catholic Church is a Catholic church located in the Georgetown neighborhood of Washington, D.C., in the United States. Holy Trinity Parish was founded in 1787 and is the oldest Roman Catholic community and house of worship in continuous operation in both Georgetown and the larger city of Washington, D.C. The original church building was completed in 1794. It is now called the Chapel of St. Ignatius, and is used for smaller ecclesiastical celebrations and as an auxiliary space for parish activities. A larger church building, necessitated by the growing community, was dedicated in 1851, and still serves as the parish church today.
McDonough Gymnasium, sometimes referred to as McDonough Arena when hosting a sports or entertainment event and officially known as McDonough Memorial Gymnasium, is a multi-purpose arena on the campus of Georgetown University in Washington, D.C. It opened in 1951 and can hold 2,500 people.
The Montrose Park is a public park, owned by the federal government, located in the 3000 block of R Street, Northwest, Washington, D.C., in the Georgetown neighborhood. It is located between Dumbarton Oaks Park, and Oak Hill Cemetery. Both Montrose Park and Dumbarton Oaks Park were jointly listed on the National Register of Historic Places on May 28, 1967. Montrose Park obtained an individual listing on 2007. In addition to a large children's play area in the back of the park, there are two sets of tennis courts, as well as open space with footwalks and trails which lead into Rock Creek Park.
Mount Zion Cemetery/Female Union Band Society Cemetery is a historic cemetery located at 26th Street NW and Mill Road NW in the Georgetown neighborhood of Washington, D.C., in the United States. Founded in 1808 as The Old Methodist Burial Ground, it was leased and then sold to Mount Zion United Methodist Church. Although the cemetery buried both white and black people since its inception, it served an almost exclusively African American population after 1849. In 1842, the Female Union Band Society purchased the western half of the lot to establish a secular burying ground for African Americans. Both cemeteries were abandoned by 1950..
Mount Zion United Methodist Church is a historic black church located at 1334 29th Street NW in the Georgetown neighborhood of Washington, D.C., United States.
Newton D. Baker House, also known as Jacqueline Kennedy House, is a historic house at 3017 N Street NW in Washington, D.C.. Built in 1794, it was home of Newton D. Baker, who was Secretary of War, during 1916-1920, while "he presided over America's mass mobilization of men and material in World War I. After the assassination of president John F. Kennedy in 1963, Jacqueline Kennedy purchased the house and lived here for about a year.
The Old Stone House is the oldest unchanged building in Washington, D.C., United States. The house is also Washington's last Pre-Revolutionary colonial building on its original foundation. Built in 1765, Old Stone House is located at 3051 M Street, Northwest in the Georgetown neighborhood. Sentimental local folklore preserved the Old Stone House from being demolished, unlike many colonial homes in the area that were replaced by redevelopment.
The Potomac Boat Club is a rowing club on the Potomac River in Washington, DC. It was established in 1859, originally as the Potomac Barge Club. The club provides a rowing hub for around 300 senior members, ranging in ability from recreational rowers to professional athletes.
Quality Hill, also known as the John Thomson Mason House, is a historic building, located at 3425 Prospect Street, Northwest, Washington, D.C., in the Georgetown neighborhood.
The Ritz-Carlton, Georgetown is a luxury hotel located in the Georgetown neighborhood of Washington, D.C., in the United States. It is near The Kennedy Center and the Georgetown waterfront. It is an AAA 5-star luxury hotel, and has 86 rooms, 27 premier suites, and five luxury suites. All rooms and suites have a view of the Potomac River and historic Georgetown. It contains a 140 feet (43 m) smokestack coming from the lobby fireplace. It is a small hotel and is known to be good for privacy. The hotel contains a restaurant, bar, and a fitness center with a newly refreshed spa after a $1.5 million dollar renovation in 2016. The rooms are on average 450 square feet (42 m2) in size and is located in a historic industrial building.
The Tidewater Lock is a dam in Washington, D.C. to the west of the mouth of Rock Creek at the Potomac River, on the east side of Georgetown. Built to connect the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal, opened in 1831, with the Potomac, it was a busy maritime intersection during several decades of the canal's heyday. C&O documents refer to it variously as Lock 0 and Tide Lock A.
Tudor Place is a Federal-style mansion in Washington, D.C. that was originally the home of Thomas Peter and his wife, Martha Parke Custis Peter, a granddaughter of Martha Washington. Step-grandfather George Washington left her the $8,000 in his will that was used to purchase the property in 1805. The property, comprising one city block on the crest of Georgetown Heights, had an excellent view of the Potomac River.
The Vigilant Firehouse is a historic building in the Georgetown section of Washington, D.C. located at 1066 Wisconsin Ave., NW, just north of the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal and the Canal Monument. The Vigilant Fire Company was organized in 1817 and this firehouse was built in 1844, making it the oldest extant firehouse in the District of Columbia. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.
Kesher Israel (Hebrew: קשר ישראל, "Kinship of Israel," also known as the Georgetown Synagogue) is a Modern Orthodox synagogue located in the Georgetown neighborhood of Washington, D.C.. The congregation is over 100 years old and its worshipers have included prominent politicians, diplomats, jurists, journalists, and authors. One of them, novelist Herman Wouk, called it "the best little shul in America" and "a haven of true Yiddishkeit at the center of the finest neighborhood in Washington."
Riggs Library was the main library of Georgetown University from 1891-1970, until being replaced by Lauinger Library. It is housed in the south tower of Healy Hall, on the third floor. Riggs Library is one of the few extant cast-iron libraries in the nation. The library still serves its original function of storing books despite its primary use as a formal event space. The library's construction was funded by E. Francis Riggs as a memorial to his father and brother, and was supervised by architect Paul Pelz, who designed Healy Hall and the Library of Congress, although Riggs did not open until a full decade after Healy Hall opened for use.
The Mongolian Embassy in Washington, D.C. is the diplomatic mission of Mongolia to the United States. It is located at 2833 M Street Northwest, Washington, D.C. in the Georgetown neighborhood.
Christ Church, founded in 1817, is a historic Episcopal church located at 3115 O Street, Northwest, Washington, D.C., in the Georgetown neighborhood. Its first rector was Reuel Keith (1792-1842), who with William Holland Wilmer rector of St. Paul's Church in 1818 founded an Education Society to train Episcopal priests. Rev. Keith left this parish in 1820 to accept a position at Bruton Parish Church and teach at the College of William and Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia, although he later returned to the new national capital and taught at the Virginia Theological Seminary when it was founded in 1823.
The Lyon's Mill Footbridge, also called the Devil's Chair Footbridge, is a concrete footbridge across Rock Creek in Washington, DC. It was completed in 1934. The eastern abutment is a remnant of the original Lyon's Mill on the site.
Georgetown is a historic neighborhood and a commercial and entertainment district located in northwest Washington, D.C., situated along the Potomac River. Founded in 1751 in the Province of Maryland, the port of Georgetown predated the establishment of the federal district and the City of Washington by 40 years. Georgetown remained a separate municipality until 1871 when the United States Congress created a new consolidated government for the whole District of Columbia. A separate act passed in 1895 specifically repealed Georgetown's remaining local ordinances and renamed Georgetown's streets to conform with those in the City of Washington.
The Oak Hill Cemetery Chapel, also known as the Renwick Chapel or James Renwick Chapel, is a historic building in the Georgetown neighborhood of Washington, D.C., United States. Designed by James Renwick, Jr. in 1850, Oak Hill Cemetery Chapel is the architect's only known example of Gothic Revival church architecture in Washington, D.C. It is located on the highest ridge in Oak Hill Cemetery, near the intersection of 29th and R Streets NW. The chapel is one of two structures in Oak Hill Cemetery listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the other being the Van Ness Mausoleum. The chapel, mausoleum, and cemetery are contributing properties to the Georgetown Historic District, a National Historic Landmark.
Oak Hill Cemetery is a historic 22-acre (8.9 ha) cemetery located in the Georgetown neighborhood of Washington, D.C., in the United States. It was founded in 1848 and completed in 1853, and is a prime example of a garden cemetery. A large number of famous politicians, business people, military people, diplomats, and philanthropists are buried at Oak Hill, and the cemetery has a number of Victorian-style memorials and monuments. Oak Hill has two structures which are listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the Oak Hill Cemetery Chapel and the Van Ness Mausoleum.
The Francis Scott Key Bridge, more commonly known as the Key Bridge, is a six-lane reinforced concrete arch bridge conveying U.S. Route 29 (US 29) traffic across the Potomac River between the Rosslyn neighborhood of Arlington County, Virginia, and the Georgetown neighborhood of Washington, D.C. Completed in 1923, it is Washington's oldest surviving road bridge across the Potomac River.
Isaac Owens House, also known as the Gannt-Williams House or John Walker House, is a historic building, located at 2806 N Street, Northwest, Washington, D.C., in the Georgetown neighborhood.
Martin's Tavern is the oldest family-owned restaurant in Washington, D.C., founded in 1933 in Georgetown. Martin's Tavern was founded by former Major League Baseball player William Gloyd "Billy" Martin. The tavern has hosted each U.S. President from Harry S. Truman to George W. Bush. Martin's is located at 1264 Wisconsin Avenue, NW in the Georgetown neighborhood of Washington D.C. It was at Martin's Tavern on June 24, 1953 that Senator John F. Kennedy proposed marriage to Jacqueline Lee Bouvier.
Rosewood Washington, D.C. is a luxury boutique hotel located at 1050 31st Street NW in the Georgetown neighborhood of Washington, D.C., in the United States. Originally an office building known as the Canal Building, it was constructed in 1963, and was the first major new building constructed in Georgetown in 50 years. The structure was purchased by two local real estate development companies in 2008 and converted to a hotel. The renovation won multiple awards. The hotel, branded as and managed by Capella Hotels and Resorts, opened in 2013 as the Cappella Hotel. The developers sold the property to Rosewood Hotels & Resorts, which rebranded the hotel as the Rosewood Washington, D.C.
The Old North Building, or simply Old North, is the oldest extant academic building on the campus of Georgetown University in Washington, D.C. and was the second major building built on the campus. To the east, the building is joined to Healy Hall and to the west, it is joined to New North, while the southern façade of the building encloses Dahlgren Quadrangle. Built in the Georgian style, Old North was one of the grandest buildings in Washington at the time of its completion in 1795. It served as the flagship of the university until the construction of Healy Hall. Old North currently houses the McCourt School of Public Policy.