Robin Hood Gardens is a residential estate in Poplar, London, designed in the late 1960s by architects Alison and Peter Smithson and completed in 1972. It was built as a council housing estate with homes spread across 'streets in the sky': social housing characterised by broad aerial walkways in long concrete blocks, much like the Park Hill estate in Sheffield; it was informed by, and a reaction against, Le Corbusier's Unité d'Habitation. The estate was built by the Greater London Council, but subsequently the London Borough of Tower Hamlets became the landlord.
St Matthias Old Church is the modern name given to the Poplar Chapel built by the East India Company in 1654, in Poplar in the East End of London. The church is designated a Grade II* listed building.
The National Lottery Heritage Fund, formerly the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF), distributes a share of National Lottery funding, supporting a wide range of heritage projects across the United Kingdom.
The Novo Cemetery is a Grade II listed Sephardic Jewish cemetery located within the grounds of Queen Mary University of London in Mile End in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. Opened in 1733, it is one of only two exclusively Sephardic cemeteries left in England.
The Limehouse Basin in Limehouse, in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets provides a navigable link between the Regent's Canal and the River Thames, through the Limehouse Basin Lock. A basin in the north of Mile End, near Victoria Park connects with the Hertford Union Canal leading to the River Lee Navigation. The dock originally covered an area of about 15 acres (60,703 m2). The Basin lies between the Docklands Light Railway (DLR) line and historic Narrow Street. Directly to the east is a small park, Ropemaker's Fields.
Der Beauchamp Tower ist ein Turm in der inneren Festungsmauer des Tower of London. Der Turm nimmt eine prominente Stelle in der westlichen Mauer ein. Der aus dem 13. Jahrhundert stammende Beauchamp Tower steht an der Stelle, an der Heinrich III. ein prachtvolles Tor zur Londoner Innenstadt errichten ließ. Nach den Umbauplänen von Edward I. war dieses Tor obsolet, und Edward ließ an seiner Stelle einen Turm errichten.
South Quay is a Docklands Light Railway (DLR) station on the Isle of Dogs, East London, England. The station is between Crossharbour and Heron Quays stations and is in Travelcard Zone 2. South Quay is in Millwall and is located on the southern shore of the South Dock of the West India Docks; the current station platforms sit astride the channel connecting Millwall Dock to the West India Docks.
Heron Quays is a light metro station on the Docklands Light Railway (DLR) Bank to Lewisham Line in the Heron Quays area of Canary Wharf in East London. The station is situated on the Isle of Dogs and serves the southern part of the Canary Wharf office complex and is directly connected to the Jubilee Place underground shopping centre. The station is elevated and contained within one of the complex's office towers. It has an out of station interchange (OSI) for Canary Wharf Underground station on London Underground's Jubilee line. Through ticketing is allowed between both stations.
Tower Hill is a London Underground station in Tower Hill in the East End of London. It is on the Circle line between Monument and Aldgate stations, and the District line between Monument and Aldgate East. Tower Hill is within Travelcard zone 1 and is a short distance from Tower Gateway station for the Docklands Light Railway, Fenchurch Street station for National Rail mainline services, and Tower Millennium Pier for River Services.
Poplar is a Docklands Light Railway (DLR) station in Poplar, close to Canary Wharf in London, England. The station is an interchange station for three of the six lines on the DLR (Stratford-Canary Wharf, Bank-Woolwich Arsenal and Tower Gateway-Beckton) making it one of the busiest stations on the network in terms of services.
The Old River Lea is the former natural channel of the River Lea below Lea Bridge, in the London Borough of Hackney. The Old River forms a large meander from the Middlesex Filter Beds Weir to rejoin the main channel of the River Lee Navigation below Old Ford Lock, just west of the 2012 Olympic stadium.
The Communist Party of Britain (CPB) is a communist political party in Great Britain committed to Marxist–Leninist theory. The party emerged from a dispute between Eurocommunists and Marxist-Leninists in the Communist Party of Great Britain in 1988.
The River Lea is in South East England. It originates in Bedfordshire, in the Chiltern Hills, and flows southeast through Hertfordshire, along the Essex border and into Greater London, to meet the River Thames at Bow Creek. It is one of the largest rivers in London and the easternmost major tributary of the Thames.
The Davenant Centre, situated in Whitechapel in the East End of London, England, is known as a 'centre of excellence' for youth services in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. The Davenant Centre was built to remember the community work of the Reverend Ralph Davenant, Rector of Whitechapel, who left a legacy to educate forty boys and thirty girls. A building was first erected on the Whitechapel site of the present Davenant Centre in 1660. A school was built following the death of Reverend Ralph Davenant in 1680 and re-built and expanded in 1818 and 1896. The rear building of the present Davenant Centre has a Grade II Renaissance Style Listing.
Blind Beggar and his Dog is a bronze statue of 1958 by the sculptor Elisabeth Frink. It stands in the enclosed garden of Tate House, a residential development for the elderly on the Cranbrook Estate in the London district of Bethnal Green. It is a Grade II* listed structure.
West India Quay is an area in the London Docklands, London, England. It is immediately to the north of the West India Docks and Canary Wharf. The warehouse at West India Quay was used to store imported goods from the West Indies, such as tea, sugar and rum, and is now a Grade I listed building.
The Tower of London, officially Her Majesty's Royal Palace and Fortress of the Tower of London, is a historic castle on the north bank of the River Thames in central London. It lies within the London Borough of Tower Hamlets, which is separated from the eastern edge of the square mile of the City of London by the open space known as Tower Hill. It was founded towards the end of 1066 as part of the Norman Conquest. The White Tower, which gives the entire castle its name, was built by William the Conqueror in 1078 and was a resented symbol of oppression, inflicted upon London by the new ruling elite. The castle was also used as a prison from 1100 (Ranulf Flambard) until 1952 (Kray twins), although that was not its primary purpose. A grand palace early in its history, it served as a royal residence. As a whole, the Tower is a complex of several buildings set within two concentric rings of defensive walls and a moat. There were several phases of expansion, mainly under kings Richard I, Henry III, and Edward I in the 12th and 13th centuries. The general layout established by the late 13th century remains despite later activity on the site.
Bow () is an area of East London within the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. It is primarily a built-up and mostly residential area and is 4.6 miles (7.4 km) east of Charing Cross.
Blackwall is a locale in East London, located in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets, it includes Leamouth and the conservation area of Coldharbour.
Spitalfields is a district in the East End of London and within the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. The area is formed around Commercial Street (on the A1202 London Inner Ring Road) and includes the locale around Brick Lane, Christ Church, Toynbee Hall and Commercial Tavern. It has several markets, including Spitalfields Market, the historic Old Spitalfields Market, Brick Lane Market and Petticoat Lane Market. It was part of the ancient parish of Stepney in the county of Middlesex and was split off as a separate parish in 1729. Just outside the City of London, the parish became part of the Metropolitan Board of Works area in 1855 as part of the Whitechapel District. It formed part of the County of London from 1889 and was part of the Metropolitan Borough of Stepney from 1900. It was abolished as a civil parish in 1921.
Poplar is a district in East London, England, the administrative centre of the borough of Tower Hamlets. Five miles (8 km) east of Charing Cross, it is part of the East End.
Millwall is a district on the western and southern side of the Isle of Dogs, in east London, England, in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. It lies to the immediate south of Canary Wharf and Limehouse, north of Greenwich and Deptford, east of Rotherhithe, west of Cubitt Town, and has a long shoreline along London's Tideway, part of the River Thames. It was part of the County of Middlesex and from 1889 the County of London following the passing of the Local Government Act 1888, it later became part of Greater London in 1965.
Limehouse is a district in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets in East London. It is 3.9 miles (6.3 km) east of Charing Cross, on the northern bank of the River Thames. Its proximity to the river has given it a strong maritime character, which it retains through its riverside public houses and steps, such as The Grapes and Limehouse Stairs. It is part of the traditional county of Middlesex. It became part of the ceremonial County of London following the passing of the Local Government Act 1888, and then part of Greater London in 1965. It is located between Stepney to the west and north, Mile End and Bow to the northwest, Poplar to the east, and Canary Wharf and Millwall to the south, and stretches from the end of Cable Street and Butcher Row in the west to Stainsby Road near Bartlett Park in the east, and from West India Dock (South Dock) and the River Thames in the south to Salmon Lane and Rhodeswell Road in the north.
Mile End is a district in the East End of London, England, 3.6 miles (5.8 km) east-northeast of Charing Cross. Situated on the London-to-Colchester road, it was one of the earliest suburbs of the City of London. It became part of the metropolitan area in 1855, and is connected to the London Underground.
Wapping () is a district in East London in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets and uniquely has it own postcode area E1W, which covers the entire area.
Canary Wharf is the secondary central business district of London (after the City of London) on the Isle of Dogs in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. After the City of London, it is one of the main financial centres in the United Kingdom and the world, containing many high-rise buildings including the third-tallest in the UK, One Canada Square.
Old Spitalfields Market is a covered market in Spitalfields, London. There has been a market on the site for over 350 years. In 1991 it gave its name to New Spitalfields Market in Leyton, where fruit and vegetables are now traded. In 2005, a regeneration programme resulted in the new public spaces: Bishops Square and Crispin Place, which are now part of the modern Spitalfields Market. A range of public markets runs daily, with independent local stores and restaurants - as well as new office developments.
Mile End is a London Underground station in Mile End, London. It is served by the Hammersmith & City, District and Central lines. This station features a cross-platform interchange in both directions, District and Hammersmith & City lines stopping on the inside tracks and the Central line stopping on the outside tracks. It is in Travelcard Zone 2.
The White Tower is a central tower, the old keep, at the Tower of London. It was built by William the Conqueror during the early 1080s, and subsequently extended. The White Tower was the castle's strongest point militarily, and provided accommodation for the king and his representatives, as well as a chapel. Henry III ordered the tower whitewashed in 1240.
Tobacco Dock is a Grade I listed warehouse located in the East London district of Wapping, and thereby the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. Part of the London Docks designed by Scottish civil engineer and architect John Rennie, the warehouse was completed in 1812 and primarily served as a store for imported tobacco, hence the name. During the early 20th century, economic activity in the area fluctuated due to World War I and World War II, and both London Docks and nearby St Katharine Docks had closed by 1969.
The Jewel House is a vault housing the British Crown Jewels in the Waterloo Block (formerly a barracks) at the Tower of London. It was opened by Queen Elizabeth II in 1994 and refurbished in 2012. Regalia have been kept in various parts of the Tower since the 14th century after a series of successful and attempted thefts at Westminster Abbey.
The Tower Subway is a tunnel beneath the River Thames in central London, between Tower Hill on the north bank of the river and Vine Lane (off Tooley Street) on the south. In 1869 a 1,340-foot-long (410 m) circular tunnel was dug through the London clay using a cast iron shield, an idea that had been patented in 1864 by Peter W. Barlow but never built.
Der Middle Tower ist ein von Türmen gesäumtes Tor in der Festungsanlage des Tower of London. Das Tor steht am südwestlichen Ende des Towers auf der Stadtseite des Grabens. Es ist das erste Tor, das Besucher des Towers heute durchqueren müssen. Ein Damm verbindet den Middle Tower mit dem Byward Tower, der sich in der Festungsmauer befand.
The London Buddhist Centre (LBC) is a temple in Bethnal Green in East London, is the main base for the London Triratna Buddhist Community, formerly known as the Friends of the Western Buddhist Order. It opened in 1978, and is located in an ornate, vernacular redbrick Victorian fire station, completed in 1888, and in use by the London fire service until 1969. The building was fire-damaged in the 1970s, before being renovated by volunteers for its current use. Further major improvements were completed in 2009.
Regent's Canal is a canal across an area just north of central London, England. It provides a link from the Paddington Arm of the Grand Union Canal, 550 yards (500 m) north-west of Paddington Basin in the west, to the Limehouse Basin and the River Thames in east London. The canal is 8.6 miles (13.8 km) long.
The Whitechapel Gallery is a public art gallery in Whitechapel on the north side of Whitechapel High Street, in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. The original building, designed by Charles Harrison Townsend, opened in 1901 as one of the first publicly funded galleries for temporary exhibitions in London. The building is a notable example of the British Modern Style. In 2009 the gallery approximately doubled in size by incorporating the adjacent former Passmore Edwards library building. It exhibits the work of contemporary artists and organizes retrospective exhibitions and other art shows.
Stepney Green is a London Underground station located on Mile End Road in Stepney, London, United Kingdom. It is between Whitechapel and Mile End on the District line and the Hammersmith & City line, and is in Travelcard Zone 2.
Der Martin Tower (ehemals Irish Tower) ist ein Turm im inneren Festungswall des Tower of London. Der Turm gehört zu den wenigen in der Nordmauer, die beim großen Towerfeuer von 1841 nicht beschädigt wurden. Zeitweise beherbergte er das Jewel House. Der Turm unterlag seit seiner Entstehungszeit zahlreichen Um- und Anbauten.
The Chapel Royal of St Peter ad Vincula ("St Peter in chains") is the parish church of the Tower of London. It is situated within the Tower's Inner Ward, and the current building dates from 1520, although the church was established several centuries earlier. It is a Royal Peculiar. The name refers to Saint Peter's imprisonment under Herod Agrippa in Jerusalem. The Chapel is probably best known as the burial place of some of the most famous prisoners executed at the Tower, including Queen Anne Boleyn, Queen Catherine Howard and the nine-day Queen, Lady Jane Grey and her husband Lord Guilford Dudley, and Sir Thomas More.
West India Quay is a Docklands Light Railway (DLR) station in Canary Wharf’s West India Quay. It is located at the point where the line from Lewisham splits into branches to Tower Gateway/Bank and Stratford. The next stations on each line are Canary Wharf DLR station (to Lewisham), Westferry (to Tower Gateway/Bank) and Poplar DLR station (to Stratford). The station is in Travelcard Zone 2.
Das Queen’s House ist ein Wohngebäude im Inneren der Festung des Tower of London. Das Haus befindet sich im Südwesten der inneren Mauer. Das Gebäude, mit dessen Errichtung um 1540 begonnen wurde, diente ursprünglich dem Konstabler des Towers als Wohnraum. Im Laufe der Nutzung über viele hundert Jahre änderte sich der Zweck des Hauses mehrmals. Unter anderem diente es zeitweise als Gefängnis.
St Anne's Limehouse is a Hawksmoor Anglican Church in Limehouse, in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. It was consecrated in 1730, one of the twelve churches built through the 1711 Act of Parliament.
Der Salt Tower ist ein Turm in der Festungsanlage des Tower of London. Der vermutlich 1238 gebaute Turm steht an der südöstlichen Kante der Festung im inneren Festungsring. Er ist der einzige erhaltene Turm des Tower aus dieser Bauphase, der drei anstelle der üblichen zwei Stockwerke enthält. Er ist aus einem harten Kalkstein aus Kent (sogenanntem Kentish Ragstone) gebaut. Die oberen Bereiche wurden im 19. Jahrhundert umgebaut.
The Ten Bells is a public house at the corner of Commercial Street and Fournier Street in Spitalfields in the East End of London. It is sometimes noted for its supposed association with two victims of Jack the Ripper, Annie Chapman and Mary Kelly.
Cambridge Heath is a railway station operated by London Overground in Bethnal Green, East London. The station is 1 mile 61 chains (2.8 km) down the line from London Liverpool Street and is situated between Bethnal Green and London Fields on the Lea Valley lines to Cheshunt and Enfield Town. Its three-letter station code is CBH and it is in Travelcard zone 2.
Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park is a local nature reserve and historic cemetery in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets within the East End of London. It is regarded as one of the seven great cemeteries of the time (now known as the "Magnificent Seven").
Petticoat Lane Market is a fashion and clothing market in Spitalfields, London. It consists of two adjacent street markets. Wentworth Street Market is open six days a week and Middlesex Street Market is open on Sunday only.
Der Wakefield Tower auch Blundeville Tower oder Hall Tower ist ein runder Turm auf dem Festungsgelände des Tower of London. Der im 13. Jahrhundert unter Heinrich III. gebaute Turm ist nach dem White Tower der größte Turm der Festung. Sein unterer Teil besteht aus Werkstein, der obere aus Schichtenmauerwerk. Seit dem Ausbau der Festung im späten 13. Jahrhundert liegt der Turm im mittleren Festungsring.
Der Wardrobe Tower war ein Turm in der Festungsanlage des Tower of London. Der vermutlich in den 1190er Jahren gebaute Turm gehörte zu den Anlagen, die den innersten Festungsring abgrenzten. Er markiert dessen nordöstliche Ecke und ist heute nur noch als Ruine erhalten. Benannt ist er nach dem Wardrobe, dem persönlichen Haushalt eines englischen Königs, dessen Gegenstände und Utensilien, darunter auch die Kronjuwelen, zeitweise im Tower gelagert wurden. Die heute noch vorhandenen Reste sind etwas über 2 Meter hoch und bestehen aus Naturstein und Backstein.
The Poplar Traincare Depot, also known as the Operations and Maintenance Centre (OMC), is the secondary depot and headquarters (HQ) for the Docklands Light Railway in Poplar. It was the primary depot until Beckton DLR depot was built.
Raven Row is a free art exhibition centre in Spitalfields. It was constructed from numbers 56 and 58, Artillery Lane. These properties were built about 1690. The area was formerly used for testing artillery and this portion of the lane was known as Raven Row until 1895. The buildings have previously been used as shops of Huguenot silk weavers and traders. They were converted into a gallery in 2009 by Alex Sainsbury who established a charity to run it. The inaugural exhibition was of work by New York artist Ray Johnson. Raven Row has held exhibitions by K.P. Brehmer, Iain Baxter, Adam Chodzko, Suzanne Treister, Peter Kennard, Hilary Lloyd, Harun Farocki, Eduardo Paolozzi, Stephen Willats and Yvonne Rainer. Other exhibitions have been curated by Richard Grayson, Lars Bang Larsen and Alice Motard.
Trinity Green Almshouses (formerly Trinity Hospital) are a series of Grade I listed almshouses on Mile End Road in Whitechapel in London. They were originally built in 1695 to provide housing for retired sailors, and are the oldest almshouses in Central London. The buildings were damaged during the Second World War, and were restored in the 1950s by London County Council.
Mile End Lock is a lock on the Regent's Canal, in Mile End, in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. The lock spans the Regent's Canal between Queen Mary University of London and Mile End Park
The Pride of Spitalfields (formerly The Romford Arms) is a public house at 3 Heneage Street in Spitalfields in the East End of London, just off Brick Lane. It was associated with a Jack the Ripper suspect.
All Hallows, Bow (also known as All Hallows, Devons Road), is an Anglican church in Bow, London, England. It is within the Diocese of London.
St George's German Lutheran Church is a church in Alie Street, Whitechapel just to the east of the City of London. From its foundation in 1762 until 1995 it was used by German Lutherans. Today the small vestry serves as an office for the Historic Chapels Trust and the church is available for hire for secular events.
St John on Bethnal Green is an early 19th-century church near Bethnal Green, London, England, and is located on the Green itself. It was constructed 1826–28 to the design of the architect Sir John Soane (1753–1837). It is an Anglican church in the Diocese of London. The church is located near the Bethnal Green tube station, on Bethnal Green Road and Roman Road.
Madani Girls School is an Islamic independent secondary school in Whitechapel, London Borough of Tower Hamlets, East London.
George Green's School is a coeducational secondary school and sixth form, located in Cubitt Town on the Isle of Dogs in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets, England.
Ackroyd Drive Greenlink is a 0.87 hectare Local Nature Reserve in Mile End in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. It forms a green corridor between Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park and Mile End Park.
Raine's House, sometimes called Raine House, is a Grade II* listed house in Raine Street, Wapping, London E1. This listing recognises the building's special architectural or historic interest.
The Town of Ramsgate public house is located at the centre of the ancient hamlet of Wapping in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. It features in several books about London inns where it is rated as "a notable specimen of a waterman's tavern."
Baltimore Tower also known as Arena Tower and nicknamed The Slinky, is a high-rise residential skyscraper in Millwall on the Isle of Dogs, London, England. The building is located on a site that was previously the location of the London Arena. The 45-storey building comprises 366 residential apartments and is 149 meters in height. It was designed by American architecture firm Skidmore, Owings & Merrill.
Grove Hall Park is a 1.19 ha public park in Bow in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets, East London. It includes play areas, a ball games area, and a small walled memorial garden.
56 Artillery Lane is an 18th-century Grade I listed building in Spitalfields, London. The building is situated in the Artillery Passage, and was merged with the now Grade II listed building 58 Artillery Lane after the Second World War; their combined shop front is one of the oldest in London, and the combined building is used by Raven Row as a free art exhibition centre.
The statue of Trajan is an outdoor twentieth-century bronze sculpture depicting the Roman Emperor Trajan, located in front of a section of the London Wall built by Romans, at Tower Hill in London, United Kingdom.
The Relay Building, originally known as One Commercial Street, is a 21-storey residential block in Whitechapel at the junction of Whitechapel High Street and Commercial Street, London E1. Despite the building's former name, the main entrance is in Whitechapel High Street, and the postal address is 114 Whitechapel High Street.
The Cable Street Mural is a large mural painting in Shadwell in East London. It was painted on the side of Stepney Town Hall by Dave Binnington, Paul Butler, Ray Walker and Desmond Rochfort between 1979 and 1983 to commemorate the Battle of Cable Street in 1936. The original design was by Dave Binnington.
Charrington Tower, originally called Providence Tower, is a 44-storey 136 m (446 ft) residential tower located in the New Providence Wharf development on the north side of the River Thames in the Blackwall area of east London, completed in 2016.
Crossrail Place is a complex built in the North Dock of the West India Docks in London's Canary Wharf. It contains Canary Wharf railway station and was partly opened on 1 May 2015. Architect Magazine described Crossrail Place as an "enormous, ship-like building", and its roof is the largest timber project in the United Kingdom. It was designed by Foster + Partners and Arup. It rises from the Import Dock (North Dock) of West India Docks.
30 South Colonnade is a commercial building in Canary Wharf, London. It occupies the FC-6 plot from the original Canary Wharf plans. Kohn Pedersen Fox were appointed as architect and the building was completed in 1991. It is 62 metres (203 ft) tall, with a total of 13 floors - a lower ground floor, ground floor, mezzanine level and 10 upper floors.
Roman Road, (its western section is still locally known as Green Street) is a road in East London, England, in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets entirely on the B119 on the B roads network, and lies on the old Roman road in the Roman Empire called the Pye Road running from the capital of the Iceni at Venta Icenorum (near modern Norwich) to Londinium (modern City of London) and today hosts a street market. Beginning in Old Ford at its eastern end, it passes into Globe Town and then enters into Bethnal Green to its western end.
Maine Tower is a 41-storey residential building located between Lighterman's Road and Dockyard Lane on the Isle of Dogs forming part of the Harbour Central development at Canary Wharf, London.
The Jack the Ripper Museum is a museum and tourist attraction that opened in August 2015 in Cable Street, London. It recreates the East end of London setting in which the unsolved Jack the Ripper murders took place in 1888, and exhibits some original artefacts from the period as well as waxwork recreations of crime scenes and sets. The museum was founded by Mark Palmer-Edgecumbe, a former head of diversity for Google.
Lansbury Lawrence School (formally Susan Lawrence School) is a primary school in the Lansbury Estate in the Poplar area of the London Borough of Tower Hamlets.
South Quay Plaza is a residential-led development under construction in Canary Wharf on the Isle of Dogs, London, within the borough of Tower Hamlets developed by Berkeley Group Holdings and designed by architect Foster + Partners. The site of the development lies to the immediate north of Marsh Wall and to the immediate south of the financial district Canary Wharf. It is scheduled for completion in 2022.
Westferry Circus is a road interchange and public space within the Westferry Complex and is part of the Canary Wharf commercial estate positioned between Limehouse and Millwall in London, and contains a two-level road interchange. There are two roundabouts, one above the other. It was designed by Laurie Olin. In this context, a circus, from the Latin word meaning "circle", is a round open space at a street junction.
East London Arts & Music (also known as ELAM) is a free school sixth form located in Bromley-by-Bow in East London, England.
Glengall Bridge is a bridge in the Millwall Inner Dock, Isle of Dogs, London, England, near the Crossharbour DLR station. It is located in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. The present Dutch-style double-leaf bascule bridge opened in 1990, resembling Langlois Bridge at Arles.The contract to manufacture the bridge across Millwall Dock was awarded to Butterley Engineering Company Ltd; of Ripley, Derbyshire.
East India Dock House is a Grade II* listed building in Poplar and is in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. It was originally built in 1988 as a printworks for the Financial Times.
The Owl and Pussycat is a pub at 34 Redchurch Street, Shoreditch, London E2.
Die Tower-Menagerie war eine Menagerie im Tower of London. Von 1235 bis zum Oktober 1835 beherbergte der Tower of London eine Menagerie von Wildtieren. Dabei handelte es sich überwiegend um Großkatzen und Bären, die gewöhnlich dem jeweiligen Monarchen zum Geschenk gemacht worden waren. Zu den Geschenken gehörten mitunter jedoch auch ungewöhnlichere Tiere, sofern sie hinreichend exotisch waren: die englische Königin Isabella von Frankreich bekam 1313 bei ihrer Rückkehr nach England zur Begrüßung ein Stachelschwein überreicht. Zu den dort gehaltenen Tieren zählten dementsprechend auch Kamele, Strauße, Elefanten, Hyänen, Eulen, Geier, Affen, Nashörner und Adler. Vergleichbare Tierhaltungen gab es zwar gelegentlich auch auf anderen königlichen Residenzen oder adligen Landsitzen. Anders als diese konnten die im Tower gehaltenen Tiere jedoch besichtigt werden. Anfangs erhielten nur solche Personen Zutritt, die über entsprechende Verbindungen verfügten. Im Laufe der Jahrhunderte wurde der Kreis der Personen, die Zutritt erhielten, jedoch immer größer. Während der letzten Jahrzehnte, in denen im Tower noch Wildtiere gehalten wurden, war allein die Zahlung eines Eintrittsgeldes Voraussetzung, um die Tiere sehen zu können. Die Möglichkeit, solch fremdartige Tiere sehen zu können, hatte wesentlichen Einfluss auf die Darstellung der Tiere in Kunst und Literatur. Die Maler George Stubbs und Edwin Landseer fanden beispielsweise hier die Modelle für exotische Tiere.
25 North Colonnade is a commercial building in Canary Wharf, London formerly occupied by the Financial Conduct Authority, after having been solely occupied by its predecessor, the Financial Services Authority (FSA) until early 2013. It is 80 metres (262 ft) tall, with 15 floors. Built in 1991, its developer was the Canary Wharf Group, and its architect was Troughton McAslan.
The Museum of London Docklands (formerly known as Museum in Docklands), based in West India Quay, explains the history of the River Thames, the growth of Port of London and the docks historical link to the Atlantic slave trade. The museum is part of the Museum of London and is jointly funded by the City of London Corporation and the Greater London Authority.
The Tower Hill Memorial is a pair of Commonwealth War Graves Commission memorials in Trinity Square, on Tower Hill in London, England. The memorials, one for the First World War and one for the Second, commemorate civilian merchant sailors and fishermen who were killed as a result of enemy action and have no known grave. The first, the Mercantile Marine War Memorial, was designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens and unveiled in 1928; the second, the Merchant Seamen's Memorial, was designed by Sir Edward Maufe and unveiled in 1955. A third memorial, commemorating merchant sailors who were killed in the 1982 Falklands War, was added to the site in 2005.
The Ontario Tower, located in Blackwall in the former docklands area of east London, is a residential housing block in the New Providence Wharf development on the north side of the River Thames.
Pan Peninsula, also known as 1 Millharbour, is a residential development on the Isle of Dogs, London located near South Quay DLR station. Pan Peninsula is one of several new high-rise residential developments that have been constructed on the Isle of Dogs.
Dennis Severs' House in Folgate Street, London is a "still-life drama" created by Dennis Severs, who owned and lived in it until his death, as a "historical imagination" of what life would have been like inside for a family of Huguenot silk weavers. It is a Grade II listed Georgian terraced house in Spitalfields in the East End, Central London, England. From 1979 to 1999 it was lived in by Dennis Severs, who gradually recreated the rooms as a time capsule in the style of former centuries. Severs' friend Dan Cruickshank said: "It was never meant to be an accurate historical creation of a specific moment – it was an evocation of a world. It was essentially a theatre set."
The East London Mosque (ELM) is situated in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets between Whitechapel and Aldgate East. Combined with the adjoining London Muslim Centre and Maryam Centre, it is one of the largest mosques in Europe, and the biggest in the UK, accommodating more than 7,000 worshippers for congregational prayers. The mosque was one of the first in the UK to be allowed to use loudspeakers to broadcast the adhan.
Columbia Road Flower Market is a street market in Bethnal Green in London, England. Columbia Road is a road of Victorian shops situated off Hackney Road in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. The market is open on Sundays only.
The Prospect of Whitby is a historic public house on the banks of the Thames at Wapping in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. It lays claim to being the site of the oldest riverside tavern, dating from around 1520.
Trinity Buoy Wharf is the site of a lighthouse, by the confluence of the River Thames and Bow Creek on the Leamouth Peninsula, Poplar. It lies within the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. The lighthouse no longer functions, but is the home of various art projects such as Longplayer. It is sometimes known as Bow Creek Lighthouse.
Shadwell is a London Overground station in Shadwell in East London. It was formerly a London Underground station on the East London line until 2007. The station is between Whitechapel to the north and Wapping to the south. It is located near to Shadwell DLR station. The station is in Travelcard Zone 2.
The York Hall, officially known as York Hall Leisure Centre is a multi-purpose indoor arena and leisure complex in Bethnal Green, London and is situated on Old Ford Road. The building opened in 1929 with a capacity of 1,200, and is now an international boxing venue. The main hall also hosts concerts and other live events and other facilities also include a local gymnasium and a swimming pool.
11 Westferry Circus is an office building located on the upper level of Westferry Circus, Canary Wharf development in London, United Kingdom. Reader's Digest owned and occupied the building until 1999, when the company sold the building and leased space in it from the new owner. The building was designed by a consortium of architectural firms.
20 Bank Street (Heron Quays 1 (HQ1) or the Morgan Stanley Building) is a 14-storey office building in the Canary Wharf development in London, United Kingdom.
24 Marsh Wall, also known as Landmark East, is a 44-storey residential skyscraper in Docklands, London, which is among the tallest structures in the city. Landmark East is part of a broader residential neighbourhood, The Landmark, also comprising the 30 story Landmark West at 22 Marsh Wall, two adjacent mid-rise apartment buildings, and the Landmark Pinnacle.
All Saints' Church, Poplar, is a church in Newby Place, Poplar, London Borough of Tower Hamlets, and is the Church of England parish church of Poplar. It was built in 1821-3 to serve the newly created parish.
Bartlett Park is a public open space in Poplar in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets in London on Upper North Street. It is located to the south of the Limehouse Cut waterway and the Lansbury Estate to the south and east of the park. The whole landscape is 4.95 hectares (12.2 acres).
Mulberry Academy Shoreditch is a co-educational academy for students aged between 11–19 in Bethnal Green, London Borough of Tower Hamlets, East London.
The Blizard Building is a building in Whitechapel in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. It houses the Blizard Institute, formerly known as the Blizard Institute of Cell and Molecular Science, part of Barts and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry.
The Boundary Estate is a housing development in Shoreditch, formally opened in 1900, in the far west of the East End so in East London, England. It is in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets and its western limit, Boundary Street, is within the London Borough of Hackney.
Bow Church is the parish church of St Mary and Holy Trinity, Stratford, Bow. It is located on a central reservation site in Bow Road (part of the A11), in Bow, in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. There has been a church on the same site for approximately 700 years. The church was bombed in the Second World War, and the bell tower was reconstructed just after the war.
Bow Locks (grid reference TQ383824) (No20) is a set of bi-directional locks in Bromley-by-Bow in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets and Newham. The locks link the tidal Bow Creek to the River Lee Navigation, which is a canalised river. These locks were first built in 1850 and then rebuilt in 1930, at the same time as the Prescott Channel was cut nearby. At high tide, the tide from Bow Creek formerly flowed through Bow Locks, to raise the level of the canals, such as the Limehouse Cut. In 2000, these locks were modified to keep the tide out, to reduce silting in the canal system.
25 Bank Street is an office tower in Canary Wharf, in the Docklands area of London. It is currently home to the European headquarters of the investment bank JPMorgan Chase.
40 Bank Street is a skyscraper in Heron Quays, Docklands, London. It is 153 metres (502 ft) tall and has 32 floors. The building was designed by Cesar Pelli & Associates and it was built by Canary Wharf Contractors.
10 Upper Bank Street is a 32-story commercial skyscraper located in Canary Wharf, in the Docklands area of London. It was completed in 2003 and is 151 m (495 ft) tall.
One Churchill Place is a 156 m tall skyscraper with 32 floors, serving as the headquarters of Barclays Bank. It is in the Docklands area of London Borough of Tower Hamlets in Canary Wharf. The building is the 13th-tallest office block in the United Kingdom and the sixth tallest building in the Docklands.
East India is a station on Docklands Light Railway (DLR) in Leamouth, east London. It takes its name from the nearby former East India Docks of the Port of London, where ships trading with the Indian subcontinent used to dock.
The Whitechapel Bell Foundry was a business in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. At the time of the closure of its Whitechapel premises, it was the oldest manufacturing company in Great Britain. The bell foundry primarily made church bells and their fittings and accessories, although it also provided single tolling bells, carillon bells and handbells. The foundry was notable for being the original manufacturer of the Liberty Bell, a famous symbol of American independence, and for re-casting Big Ben, which rings from the north clock tower (the Elizabeth Tower) at the Houses of Parliament in London.
Queen Mary University of London (QMUL, or informally QM) is a public research university in London, England, and a constituent college of the federal University of London. It dates back to the foundation of London Hospital Medical College in 1785. Queen Mary College, named after Mary of Teck, was admitted to the University of London in 1915 and in 1989 merged with Westfield College to form Queen Mary and Westfield College. In 1995 Queen Mary and Westfield College merged with St Bartholomew's Hospital Medical College and the London Hospital Medical College to form the School of Medicine and Dentistry.
The London Borough of Tower Hamlets is a London borough covering much of the traditional East End. It was formed in 1965 from the merger of the former metropolitan boroughs of Stepney, Poplar and Bethnal Green. The new authority's historical name refers to an alternative title for the Tower Division; the area of south-east Middlesex, focused on (but not limited to) the area of the modern borough, which owed military service to the Tower of London.
Tower Millennium Pier is a pier on the River Thames, in Tower Hill, London, UK. It is operated by London River Services and served by various river transport and cruise operators. The pier is close to Tower Bridge and is situated immediately adjacent to the southwest corner of the Tower of London.
Victoria Park (known colloquially as Vicky Park or the People's Park) is a park in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets in East London, England. It is the largest park in Tower Hamlets and one of London's most visited green spaces with approximately 9 million visitors every year. The park spans 86.18 hectares (213.0 acres) of open space and opened to the public in 1845.
One Canada Square is a skyscraper in Canary Wharf, London. It was completed in 1991 and is the third tallest building in the United Kingdom at 770 feet (235 m) above ground level containing 50 storeys.
Westferry is a station on the Docklands Light Railway (DLR), at the junction of Limehouse Causeway and Westferry Road in Limehouse in London Docklands, England. The station is located in Travelcard Zone 2. To the west is Limehouse station, whilst to the east the DLR splits, with one branch going to Poplar station and the other to West India Quay station.
Mudchute is a Docklands Light Railway (DLR) station on the Isle of Dogs, next to Mudchute in London, England. The station is situated in the Millwall area and is in Travelcard Zone 2. The name of the area refers to the engineering overspill when Millwall Dock was being created in the 1840s. Spoil from the excavation of the Dock and silt from its channels and waterways were dumped on nearby land, creating "The Mudchute", which quickly established itself as a wildlife habitat and adventuring location for local children.
8 Canada Square (also known as the HSBC Tower) is a skyscraper in Canary Wharf, London. The building serves as the global headquarters of the HSBC Group.
Whitechapel is a London Underground and London Overground station located on Whitechapel Road and Durward Street in the Whitechapel area of London, United Kingdom. The station is located behind a street market of the same name and opposite the Royal London Hospital. It lies between Aldgate East and Stepney Green stations on the District and Hammersmith & City lines, and between Shoreditch High Street and Shadwell stations on the East London Line. It is in Travelcard Zone 2.
Freedom Press is an anarchist publishing house in Whitechapel, London, United Kingdom. Founded in 1886, it is the largest anarchist publishing house in the country and the oldest of its kind in the English speaking world. It is based at 84b Whitechapel High Street in the East End of London.
The V&A Museum of Childhood is a branch of the Victoria and Albert Museum (the "V&A"), which is the United Kingdom's national museum of applied arts. It is in Bethnal Green and is located on the Green itself in the East End of London and specialises in objects by and for children.
Langdon Park is a Docklands Light Railway (DLR) station in Poplar in Greater London, England. The station is between All Saints and Devons Road stations on the Stratford-Lewisham Line. Construction of the station began on 17 November 2006, and the first day of operation was 9 December 2007.
15 Westferry Circus is a 16,250 m2 (174,900 sq ft) building located on the upper level of Westferry Circus, Canary Wharf. Construction began in November 1998. Its finish marked the completion of the Westferry Complex, the westernmost point of Canary Wharf.
Limehouse is a National Rail and connected Docklands Light Railway (DLR) station in Limehouse, London, England. It is served by regional services operated by c2c to and from Fenchurch Street, and by light metro services provided by the DLR to and from Tower Gateway or Bank. On the main line, Limehouse is located 1 mile 58 chains (2.8 km) from Fenchurch Street and the following station is West Ham; on the DLR it is between Shadwell and Westferry in Travelcard Zone 2.
Shadwell is a Docklands Light Railway (DLR) station in Shadwell in east London, England and is between the terminals of Bank and Tower Gateway to the west and Limehouse to the east. The 1991 Bank extension joins the main DLR line just to the west of Shadwell. It is located near Shadwell railway station for London Overground services, in Travelcard Zone 2.
Wapping is a station on the East London line located on the northern bank of the River Thames in Wapping within the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. The station is served by National Rail London Overground services under the control of the London Rail division of Transport for London, however there is no standard red National Rail "double arrow" logo signage located at the station, instead only the Overground roundel. The station is between Shadwell and Rotherhithe, and is in Travelcard Zone 2.
Balfron Tower is a 26-storey residential building in Poplar, Tower Hamlets, East London. Built in a Brutalist style, it forms part of the Brownfield Estate, an area of social housing between Chrisp Street Market and the A12 northern approach to the Blackwall Tunnel. It was designed by Ernő Goldfinger in 1963 for the London County Council, built 1965–67 by the GLC, and has been a Grade II* listed building since 1996. Balfron Tower is stylistically similar to Goldfinger's later Trellick Tower in London.
Bethnal Green is a London Underground station in Bethnal Green, London, served by the Central line. It lies between Liverpool Street and Mile End stations, is in Travelcard Zone 2, and is open 24 hours on a Friday and Saturday as part of the Night Tube service. The station was opened as part of the long planned Central line eastern extension on 4 December 1946, having previously been used as an air-raid shelter. On 3 March 1943, 173 people, including 62 children, were killed in a crush while attempting to enter the shelter, in what is believed to be the largest loss of civilian life in the UK during the Second World War.
The Citigroup Centre is a building complex in London. It houses Citigroup's EMEA headquarters and is located in Canary Wharf in the city's Docklands. The centre provides 170,000 square metres (1,800,000 sq ft) of floor space across two merged buildings - 33 Canada Square (known as "CGC1") and 25 Canada Square (known as "CGC2"), and houses the bulk of Citi's UK employee base. Together, both buildings form the Citigroup Centre complex.
Blackwall is a Docklands Light Railway (DLR) station in Blackwall area of Poplar in London, England. It is located very close to the northern entrance to the Blackwall road tunnel under the River Thames. The station is on the Beckton branch of the DLR between Poplar and East India stations.
Der Bloody Tower ist ein rechteckiger Turm in der Festungsanlage des Tower of London. Durch den im 13. Jahrhundert als Garden Tower gebauten Turm führt das Tor vom äußeren in den inneren Festungsring im Tower.
Bow Church is a Docklands Light Railway (DLR) station in Bow, London, England. It is between Devons Road and Pudding Mill Lane stations. It is interlinked by an out of station interchange (OSI) within 300 m (980 ft) walking distance via Bow Road with Bow Road station on London Underground's District and Hammersmith and City lines. The two Bow stations are classed as a single station for ticketing purposes as well as on tube maps but both managed separately. Opened with the original system on 31 August 1987, the station takes its name from the nearby 14th century Bow Church, which is a Church of England church.
Bow Road is a London Underground station located on Bow Road in Bow, London, England. It is on the District and Hammersmith & City lines. The station is interlinked as an out of station interchange (OSI) with Bow Church station on the Docklands Light Railway which is about 300 m (980 ft) away via Bow Road. The two stations are classed as a single station for ticketing purposes as well as on tube maps but both managed separately.
Poplar Dock is a small dock in east London. It connects to the Blackwall Basin of the West India Docks and, although independent of this system, has never had a direct connection to the Thames.
Bromley-by-Bow is a London Underground station located on the
St Katharine Docks is a former dock and now a mixed-used district in Central London, in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets and within the East End. It lies on the north bank of the River Thames, immediately downstream of the Tower of London and Tower Bridge. From 1828 to 1968, it was one of the commercial docks that made up the Port of London. It is in the redevelopment zone known as Docklands and is now a popular housing and leisure complex.
Der Byward Tower ist ein Turm und Tor im Tower of London. Er liegt im Südwesten der Festung und schützt den landseitigen Zugang über den Festungsgraben. Über eine Brücke ist er auf der Stadtseite mit dem Tor des Middle Towers verbunden.
Canary Wharf is a Docklands Light Railway (DLR) station in the Canary Wharf in East London. The station was built into the base of One Canada Square itself, between two parts of a shopping centre, it serves the Canary Wharf office complex. The station itself has six platforms serving three rail tracks and is sheltered by a distinctive elliptical glass roof.
Canary Wharf is a London Underground station at Canary Wharf and is on the Jubilee line, between Canada Water and North Greenwich. The station is located in Travelcard Zone 2 and was opened on 17 September 1999 as part of the Jubilee Line Extension. Over 40 million people pass through the station each year, making it second busiest on the London Underground outside Central London after Stratford, and also the busiest that serves only a single line.
Der Cradle Tower ist ein Tor in der Festung des Tower of London. Das Tor befindet sich an der Südseite des Towers und verbindet den äußeren Festungsring mit der Tower Wharf. Ursprünglich im 14. Jahrhundert errichtet, war der Tower mehrfach Umbauten unterworfen. Die letzte größere Baumaßnahme versah ihn 1870 mit einem neogotischen obersten Stockwerk.
Crossharbour is a light metro station on the Docklands Light Railway (DLR) Bank-Lewisham Line in Cubitt Town, East London. The station is situated on the Isle of Dogs and is between Mudchute and South Quay stations and is in Travelcard Zone 2.
Toynbee Hall is a charitable institution that works to address the causes and impacts of poverty in the East End of London and elsewhere. Established in 1884, it is based in Commercial Street, Spitalfields, and was the first university-affiliated institution of the worldwide settlement movement—a reformist social agenda that strove to get the rich and poor to live more closely together in an interdependent community. It was founded by Henrietta and Samuel Barnett in the economically depressed East End, and was named in memory of their friend and fellow reformer, Oxford historian Arnold Toynbee, who had died the previous year.
Devons Road is a Docklands Light Railway (DLR) station located in between Bromley-by-Bow and Bow Common. The station takes its name from the B140 Devons Road and is between Langdon Park and Bow Church stations and is in Travelcard Zone 2. It is on the Stratford to Poplar branch of the DLR with services continuing on to Canary Wharf and Lewisham.
Mile End Park is a park located in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. It is a linear park of some 32 hectares (79 acres), and was created on industrial land devastated by World War II bombing. Some of the park is within Limehouse and Globe Town, with the park lying on land to the east of the Regent's Canal. In the north, it is separated from the southern edge of Victoria Park by the Hertford Union Canal. It is open 24 hours a day.
Die Waterloo Barracks, auch Waterloo Block sind ein Gebäude im inneren Festungsring des Towers of London. Das Gebäude wurde ursprünglich 1845 als Kasernenanlage für 826 Soldaten gebaut. Es ist das größte einzelne Gebäude der Festung. Mittlerweile dient es vor allem als Büro- und Verwaltungsgebäude. International bekannt ist es jedoch, da seit 1967 in seinem Inneren das Jewel House, der Aufbewahrungsort der Britischen Kronjuwelen, untergebracht ist.
Bethnal Green is a railway station on the Lea Valley lines in the southern part of Bethnal Green, in East London. The station is 1 mile 10 chains (1.8 km) down the line from London Liverpool Street; the next station is either Hackney Downs (on the Chingford branch) or Cambridge Heath (on the route to Cheshunt and Enfield Town). It is an interchange station between three services operated by London Overground. Its three-letter station code is BET and it is in Travelcard zone 2.
1 Cabot Square (also known as the Credit Suisse building) is a 21-floor office building occupied by Credit Suisse in Cabot Square, Canary Wharf, London, England.
1 West India Quay is a landmark 33-storey mixed use skyscraper situated just north of Canary Wharf business district in east London. Completed in 2004, the development was built by Manhattan Loft Corporation and the now-defunct MWB Group Holdings. The distinctive glass- and aluminium-clad tower was designed by HOK.
20 Canada Square is an office building located in the Canary Wharf section of London. Currently, 20 Canada Square is home to the London Trading offices (IST) of BP and the UK headquarters of American company S&P Global.
Bow School is a comprehensive secondary school and sixth form for boys and girls, located in Bromley-by-Bow in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets, England. It has a roll of about 600 students and increasing. In September 2014 the school moved from the old site off Fairfield Road, Bow to a new site in Bromley-by-Bow 1 mile to the south-east by Bow Locks, in a brand new building designed by van Heyningen and Haward Architects. The school started accepting girls in the new school building, along with the move, into Year 7 and the numbers will grow so that in 5 years time, the school will have all its year groups mixed sex.
Bow was a railway station in Bow, east London, that was opened in 1850 by the East & West India Docks and Birmingham Junction Railway, which was later renamed the North London Railway (NLR). The station was situated between Old Ford and South Bromley, and was located on the north side of Bow Road, close to the second Bow Road station which was open from 1892 to 1949. A covered footway connected the two stations between 1892 and 1917.
Brick Lane Market is a London market centred on Brick Lane, in Tower Hamlets in east London. It is located at the northern end of Brick Lane and in the heart of east London's Bangladeshi community. It operates every Sunday from around 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Brick Lane Jamme Masjid (Bengali: ব্রিক লেন জামে মসজিদ, Arabic: جامع مسجد بريك لين "Brick Lane Congregational Mosque"), formerly known as the London Jamme Masjid (লন্ডন জামে মসজিদ, جامع مسجد لندن "London Congregational Mosque"), is a Muslim place of worship in Central London and is in the East End of London. The building at 59 Brick Lane, on the corner of Fournier Street, has been home to a succession of Christian, Jewish, and Muslim communities since its construction in the mid-eighteenth century, reflecting the waves of immigration in the neighbourhood of Spitalfields. The former Great Synagogue is a Grade II* listed building; the adjacent former school buildings (now used as an ancillary building to the mosque) is listed Grade II.
Bromley Hall is an early Tudor period manor house in Bromley-by-Bow, Tower Hamlets, London. Located on the Blackwall Tunnel northern approach road, it is now owned and restored by Leaside Regeneration. Built around 1485, it is thought to be the oldest brick house in London.
The Bromley by Bow Centre is a community centre in Bromley-by-Bow, in the East End of London. It was founded by Andrew Mawson in 1984 alongside community members such as Chilean artist Santiago Bell, with the aim of transforming the local community. Over the years, the Centre has grown to encompass a GP surgery where Sam Everington is an enthusiastic advocate of the Centre, church, nursery, children's centre, community facilities and a cafe. It is the site of the UK's first Healthy Living Centre, and around 2,000 people use the Centre each week. In addition to team members such as psychologists, nurses, counsellors, and phlebotomists, the centre also houses artists, stonemasons, gardeners, and stained-glass makers.
Canary Wharf is a London River Services pier on the River Thames in Canary Wharf, London. It is located next to Westferry Circus.
Carpenter's Road Lock is a rising radial lock in the London Borough of Newham, near Marshgate Lane in Stratford, England. It is located on the Bow Back Rivers and was constructed in 1933/34. It is the only lock in Britain with rising radial gates at both ends. British Waterways were hoping to restore it as part of the upgrade to Bow Back Rivers which took place for the 2012 Summer Olympics, but the gantries which enabled the gates to be raised were demolished to accommodate a wide bridge giving access to the main stadium. After the Games, most of the overbridge was removed. Funding for the restoration of the lock was in place by early 2016, and it is expected to be brought back into use in 2017.
Central Foundation Girls’ School is an inner-city girls’ school in Bow, London, England, for 11- to 18-year-olds.
Chrisp Street Market is the central marketplace and town centre of Poplar and is located in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. It was the first purpose-built pedestrian shopping area in the United Kingdom, rebuilt as part of the 1951 Festival of Britain and is directly connected onto the high street, East India Dock Road.
Christ Church Spitalfields is an Anglican church built between 1714 and 1729 to a design by Nicholas Hawksmoor. On Commercial Street in the East End and in today's Central London it is in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets, on its western border facing the City of London, it was one of the first (and arguably one of the finest) of the so-called "Commissioners' Churches" built for the Commission for Building Fifty New Churches, which had been established by an Act of Parliament in 1711.
Commercial Road Lock is a lock on the Regent's Canal in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. It marks the point at which the canal enters Limehouse Basin, and is the penultimate lock before the canal reaches the Thames.
The Cranbrook Estate is a housing estate in Bethnal Green, London, England. It is located next to Roman Road and is based around a figure of eight street called Mace Street. The estate was designed by Francis Skinner, Douglas Bailey and an elder mentor, the Soviet émigré Berthold Lubetkin.
Darul Hadis Latifiah (formerly Madrasah-e-Darul Qirat Majidiah) is an 11–20 boys, Islamic, independent school and sixth form in Bethnal Green, Greater London, England. It was established in 1978 by parents and community leaders under the guidance of Abdul Latif Chowdhury (Fultali Saheb).
Donnybrook Quarter is a residential district of the Old Ford area of east London. Constructed in 2006, it is a development by Peter Barber Architects. Barber cites Le Corbusier, Adolf Loos and JJP Oud as influences on the project, and said that in consultancy meetings with locals "the residents were thinking, 'Spain! Holidays! Marbella!' I'm completely happy with that."
Fieldgate Street Great Synagogue, established in 1899, was located at 41 Fieldgate Street in the East End of London. This synagogue's official Hebrew name was Sha’ar Ya’akov (Gate of Jacob, שער יעקב), but it became known as the Fieldgate Street Great Synagogue, as there were several smaller synagogues along the street.
Canary Riverside Plaza Hotel is a luxury 5-star hotel in London, England. It is located at 46 Westferry Circus in Canary Wharf. The hotel has 142 rooms and suites containing large bay windows overlooking the River Thames. Its Ancient Egyptian inspired design by Renton, Howard, Wood & Levin, based on earlier work by Philippe Starck, features a curved patinated copper roof. This bold architecture was seen as a departure from the previous conservatism of the Four Seasons group, who built it as Four Seasons Hotel London at Canary Wharf.
Gatehouse School is a co-educational independent school based in Sewardstone Road in Bethnal Green in East London, educating pupils from the ages of three to eleven years. The youngest classes follow a Montessori-style education, but the influence of the national curriculum has brought the older classes more into line with mainstream schools. The school admits children from the full ability range, with an emphasis on the Arts, including visits to museums and theatres, as well as sports and outward bound activities.
The George Tavern is a Grade II listed public house and music venue located on Commercial Road in Stepney, London. It is owned and operated by artist Pauline Forster.
Glenkerry House is a housing block on the Brownfield Estate in Poplar, London, designed by the studio of the controversial Brutalist architect Ernő Goldfinger. 14 storeys high, it stands in proximity to and complements the appearance of Balfron Tower and Carradale House, which were designed by Goldfinger himself and are now Grade II listed. There are four four-bedroom maisonettes on the ground floor, 18 one-bedroom, 45 two-bedroom and 12 three-bedroom flats; 79 flats in all.
Keeling House is a 16-storey block of flats located on Claredale Street in Bethnal Green, London, England. It was designed by Denys Lasdun and completed in 1957 as a cluster of four blocks of maisonettes arranged around a central service tower. A radical renovation in 2001 added a penthouse storey and concierge service.
King Edward Memorial Park is a public open space in Wapping, within the London Borough of Tower Hamlets, on the northern bank of the River Thames.
Kingsley Hall is a community centre, in Powis Road, Bromley-by-Bow in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets, East End of London. It dates back to the work of Doris and Muriel Lester, who had a nursery school in nearby Bruce Road. Their brother, Kingsley Lester, died aged 26 in 1914, leaving money for work in the local area for "educational, social and recreational" purposes, with which the Lesters bought and converted a disused chapel. The current Hall was built with a stone-laying ceremony taking place on 14 July 1927. A second community centre, also known as Kingsley Hall with a church, was later built by the sisters in the neighbouring London Borough of Barking and Dagenham on Parsloes Avenue in Dagenham. The second Kingsley Hall underwent redevelopment in 2018.
Lakeview Estate is a housing estate in Old Ford, east London designed by Berthold Lubetkin. It was built on a site damaged by bombing in World War II, on Grove Road between Old Ford Road and the Hertford Union Canal. The estate opened in 1958. It overlooks the lake in Victoria Park.
Langdon Park School is a mixed secondary school and sixth form, located in the Poplar area of the London Borough of Tower Hamlets, England.
Leopold Buildings is a historic tenement block of flats in Bethnal Green, in the East End of London, England, in what is now the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. It is located on Columbia Road, not far from Columbia Road Market.
The Limehouse Cut is a largely straight, broad canal in the East End of London which links the lower reaches of the Lee Navigation to the River Thames. Opening on 17 September 1770, and widened for two-way traffic by 1777, it is the oldest canal in the London area. Although short, it has a diverse social and industrial history. Formerly discharging directly into the Thames, since 1968 it has done so indirectly by a connection through Limehouse Basin.
The London Chest Hospital, located in Bethnal Green in London, adjacent to Victoria Park, was a hospital with a national reputation for treatment of cardiac and pulmonary disease. Since 1999 it had been run by the Barts Health NHS Trust. It closed on 17 April 2015 as part of the creation of the Barts Heart Centre at St Bartholomew's Hospital, by consolidation of services from the London Chest Hospital and The Heart Hospital, part of University College London Hospital.
The London Marriott Hotel Canary Wharf (previously Marriott Hotel West India Quay) is a hotel in Canary Wharf in London, England, that opened in 2004. It is located at 1 West India Quay, 22 Hertsmere Road, and is named after Canary Wharf where it overlooks the West India Quay Marina. It is operated by Marriott Hotels, and has 301 rooms and 47 apartments.
Masthouse Terrace Pier is a pier on the River Thames on the Isle of Dogs in London, England. It is located at the end of Napier Avenue, off Westferry Road, at the southern end of the Isle of Dogs, and provides river bus services managed by London River Services.
Mile End Hospital is a community hospital in the Mile End area of the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. It is managed by Barts Health NHS Trust.
Mile End New Town is a former hamlet and then civil parish in the East End of London. Its former area is now part of the London Borough of Tower Hamlets.
Mudchute Park and Farm is a large urban park and farm in Cubitt Town on the Isle of Dogs in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets, just south of Canary Wharf. It is a Local Nature Reserve and a Site of Metropolitan Importance for Nature Conservation.
Mulberry School for Girls (formerly known as Tower Hamlets School for Girls) is a secondary school and sixth form for girls located in the Shadwell area of the East End of London, England. Approximately 1400 students aged between 11 and 19 years attend Mulberry school. The current headteacher is Dr Vanessa J Ogden who joined Mulberry in 2006. Mulberry School for Girls is the lead school in the Mulberry Schools Trust.
The New Providence Wharf is a residential development in the Blackwall district of the London Borough of Tower Hamlets, at the north end of the Blackwall Tunnel. It was designed by Skidmore, Owings and Merrill and is managed by Ballymore, a property development company.
Chapter Spitalfields, originally known as Nido Spitalfields, is a student accommodation building located at 100 Middlesex Street in Spitalfields, Central London. It is the third tallest student dormitory in the world, behind the Sky Plaza in Leeds, and 17 New Wakefield Street in Manchester. The 34-storey tower falls within the London Borough of Tower Hamlets, though Middlesex Street forms the boundary with the City of London, the principal financial district of the world. Middlesex Street forms part of the Petticoat Lane Market area.
Old Ford Lock is a paired lock and weir on the River Lee Navigation, in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets, England. It is at Fish Island in Old Ford and takes it namesake from after the natural ford which used to exist in the area crossing the uncanalised River Lea.
Oxford House in Bethnal Green, East London, was established in September 1884 as one of the first "settlements" by Oxford University as a High-Anglican Church of England counterpart to Toynbee Hall, established around the same time at Whitechapel.
Phoenix Heights, also known as 4 Mastmaker Road, is a mixed tenure residential development in the Millwall area of London, near to South Quay DLR station and Canary Wharf. It forms a social housing commitment developed as part of the nearby Pan Peninsula project.
The Ragged School Museum is a museum in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. The museum was opened in 1990 in the premises of the former Dr Barnardo's Copperfield Road Ragged School. The school opened in 1877 to serve the children of Mile End with a basic education. It was the largest of its kind at the time. It closed in 1908 when sufficient government/London County Council schools had been established to take over the work. At its height the school had more than 1,000 pupils on weekdays, and 2,400 Sunday school attendees. The team continued to organise events for the local community even after the school closed. The building saw later use as a factory.
Raine's Foundation School was a Church of England voluntary aided school based on two sites in Bethnal Green in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets, England.
Rich Mix is a charity that offers cinema and cross-arts centre that is located in the East End of London, located in Shoreditch in the Borough of Tower Hamlets, East London, England. Once a vast leather factory, 62,000-square-foot building was transformed into a multi-arts venue, which has offered free arts and culture events to over 35,000 people in 2014–2015. Stretched over five floors, the building contains a three-screen cinema showing the latest mainstream and independent films, and a multitude of flexible performance spaces, where both emerging and established artists are welcome to rehearse and perform. Rich Mix also house 20 creative organisations with a combined turnover of over £23,000,000 per year, employing more than 320 people across a wide range of businesses.
The Royal London Hospital is a large teaching hospital in Whitechapel in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. It is part of Barts Health NHS Trust. The Royal London provides district general hospital services for the City and Tower Hamlets and specialist tertiary care services for patients from across London and elsewhere. There are 845 beds, 110 wards and 26 operating theatres at the Royal London Hospital. The new building opened in February 2012.
Salmon Lane Lock is a lock on the Regent's Canal, in Limehouse in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. A new footbridge at the lock was completed in February 2005 connecting Parnham Street to Salmon Lane.
The Samuda Estate is on the east side of Manchester Road, in Cubitt Town on the Isle of Dogs. With 505 dwellings it is home to about 1,500 people and covers 11.4 acres (4.6 ha).
Sandy's Row Synagogue is a historic Grade II listed synagogue and former Christian church in the East End of London. Built by refugee French Huguenots in 1766, it was later converted into a Baptist chapel and in 1867 was acquired by a Jewish congregation. It is the oldest surviving Ashkenazi synagogue in London.
Stepney All Saints Church of England Secondary School (formerly known as Sir John Cass's Foundation and Redcoat School) is a Church of England voluntary aided school and sixth form located in Stepney, London, England. The last Ofsted report in October 2015 rated SJCR School as "Outstanding."
Sivill House is a Grade II listed 76-flat council housing block on Columbia Road in Shoreditch, in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. The building has 19-storeys, at a total height of 59 m (194 ft).
Tower Bridge Quay previously St. Katharine's Pier, is a river transport pier on the River Thames, in London, UK. It is owned & operated by Woods River Cruises trading as Woods’ Silver Fleet and served by various river transport and cruise operators.
St Barnabas Bethnal Green is a late 19th-century church in Bow in London, England. It is an Anglican church in the Diocese of London. The church is at the junction of Roman Road and Grove Road in the Bow West ward of London Borough of Tower Hamlets.
St Dunstan's, Stepney, is an Anglican Church which stands on a site that has been used for Christian worship for over a thousand years. It is located in Stepney High Street, in Stepney, London Borough of Tower Hamlets.
St George-in-the-East is an Anglican Church dedicated to Saint George and one of six Hawksmoor churches in London, England. It was built from 1714 to 1729, with funding from the 1711 Act of Parliament. Its name has been used for two forms of parish (areas of land) surrounding, one ecclesiastical which remains and one a Civil counterpart, a third tier of local government. The latter assisted public facilities in the late 19th century but ceded its dwindling purposes to the Metropolitan Borough of Stepney so was abolished in 1927. The church was designated a Grade I listed building in 1950.
St Matthew's, Bethnal Green, is an 18th-century church in Bethnal Green, London, England. It is an Anglican church in the Diocese of London.
The Church of St Michael and All Angels was a church in Poplar, London. The Grade II listed 19th-century brick-built church was converted into flats in the 1970s, and is now known as St Michael's Court.
St Paul's Bow Common is a 20th-century church in Bow Common, London, England. It is an Anglican church in the Diocese of London. The church is at the junction of Burdett Road and St Paul's Way in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. It replaced an earlier church that was designed by Rohde Hawkins in 1858 and financed by William Cotton of Leytonstone. Consecrated by Bishop Charles James Blomfield, this church was largely destroyed in the Second World War, and demolished in the 1950s.
St Paul's Church, Shadwell, is a Grade II* listed Church of England church, located between The Highway and Shadwell Basin, on the edge of Wapping, in the East End of London, England. The church has had varying fortunes over many centuries, and is now very active, having been supported recently by Holy Trinity Brompton Church.
St Paul's Way Trust School is a coeducational all-through school and sixth form located in the Bow Common area of the London Borough of Tower Hamlets, England.
Stepney Green Maths, Computing and Science College is a coeducational secondary school and sixth form. It is situated in Stepney, in the heart of the historic East End of London and adjacent to the developments in Docklands, it serves the local community, which is mainly Bangladeshi in origin. It has a well-equipped library, including 300 computers and a good range of fiction and reference books/material.
Swanlea School is a coeducational secondary school in Whitechapel with approximately 1000 students on roll and a further 210 at Key Stage 5. It is situated in the heart of the historic east end of London and less than a mile away from the City of London; it serves the local community.
The Blind Beggar is a pub on Whitechapel Road in Whitechapel in the East End of London, England. It is where Ronnie Kray murdered George Cornell in front of witnesses, and is the location of William Booth's first sermon, which led to the creation of the Salvation Army. It was the nearest outlet (or brewery tap) for the Manns Albion brewery, where the first modern Brown Ale was brewed. The pub was built in 1894 on the site of an inn which had been established before 1654, and takes its name from the legend of Henry de Montfort.
The Space is an arts space in Millwall on the Isle of Dogs, London. Its principal patron is Sir Ian McKellen, and it is a registered non-profit making charity.
The Spitz was a music venue in the East End of London, at 109 Commercial Street on the edge of the Old Spitalfields Market. The venue was forced to close in 2007 in a dispute about rent.
The Traitors' Gate is an entrance through which many prisoners of the Tudors arrived at the Tower of London. The gate was built by Edward I, to provide a water gate entrance to the Tower, part of St. Thomas's Tower, which was designed to provide additional accommodation for the royal family.
Tredegar Square pronounced is a well-preserved Georgian square in Mile End, and is in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. The square has gardens in the centre with lawns and large trees.
Troxy is a Grade II-listed Art Deco music venue on Commercial Road in Stepney, London. Built as a cinema in 1933, it closed in 1960 and became a training school for the London Opera Centre. In the 1980s the building was used as a bingo hall, and the Troxy was converted to a live events space in 2006. The building is considered a vital part of East London's history and was Grade II listed in 1990. It has a capacity of 3,100.
The Wapping Hydraulic Power Station (built 1890) was originally run by the London Hydraulic Power Company in Wapping, London, England. Originally, it operated using steam, and was later converted to use electricity. It was used to power machinery, including lifts, across London. The Tower Subway was used to transfer the power, and steam, to districts south of the river.
Wilton's Music Hall is a Grade II* listed building in Shadwell, built as a music hall and now run as a multi-arts performance space in Graces Alley, off Cable Street in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. It is one of very few surviving music halls and retains many original features.
Wool House is a grade II listed Victorian wool warehouse at 74 Backchurch Lane, in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. It was originally five storeys tall, and spanned a total of 137,455 square feet (12,770.0 m2). An additional floor was constructed on the roof in the early 2000s, creating an additional 12,000 square feet (1,100 m2) of floorspace. The warehouse is one of two that were constructed on Backchurch lane in the late 1880s for Browne & Eagle, a wool storage firm.
Island Gardens is a public park located at the southern end of the Isle of Dogs in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets on the north bank of the River Thames. The park was formally opened on 3 August 1895 by local politician Will Crooks.
The Tower Hotel is a large hotel situated on the north bank of the River Thames, on the east side of Tower Bridge, in London.
The Grapes is a Grade II listed public house situated directly on the north bank of the Thames in London's Limehouse area, with a veranda overlooking the water. To its landward side, the pub is found at number 76 in Narrow Street, flanked by former warehouses now converted to residential and other uses.
Limehouse Basin Lock is a lock forming the exit from Limehouse Basin to the Thames, in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets, England. It is the final lock on the Regent's Canal. The Narrow Street swing bridge sits between the lock and the river.
Limehouse Town Hall is a former town hall building on Commercial Road, in Limehouse, in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. It is a Grade II listed building.
Oaklands School is a community secondary school located in Bethnal Green, London Borough of Tower Hamlets, England. The school serves about 905 students aged 11–18.
Arbour Square is a late Georgian square in Stepney, in the borough of Tower Hamlets, east London, England.
Island Gardens is a Docklands Light Railway (DLR) station next to Island Gardens on the Isle of Dogs, East London. It is just north of the River Thames and is close to the southern tip of the Isle of Dogs and the River Thames.
Shoreditch was a London Underground station located in Shoreditch in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets in east London. Originally opened by the East London Railway in 1876, the station was permanently closed in 2006 being replaced directly to the west of the site by Shoreditch High Street station in 2010.
Aldgate East is a London Underground station on Whitechapel High Street in Whitechapel, in London, England. It takes its name from the City of London ward of Aldgate, the station lying to the east of the ward (and the City). It is on the Hammersmith & City line between Liverpool Street and Whitechapel, and on the District line between Tower Hill and Whitechapel, in Travelcard Zone 1.
The Rotherhithe Tunnel is a road tunnel under the River Thames in East London, connecting Limehouse in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets north of the river to Rotherhithe in the London Borough of Southwark south of the river, designated the A101. It was formally opened in 1908 by George, Prince of Wales (later King George V), and Richard Robinson, Chairman of the London County Council. It is an extremely rare example of a road tunnel where road traffic, pedestrians and cyclists all share the same tunnel bore. Transport for London took over ownership and maintenance of the tunnel in 2001.
Stepney Town Hall, formerly St George's Vestry Hall, is a municipal building on Cable Street, Stepney, London. It is a Grade II listed building.
Beatrice Tate School is a coeducational special educational needs (SEN) school for 11-19 year olds.
40 Marsh Wall also known as Novotel Canary Wharf is a 127 m (419 ft), 39-storey hotel in the Isle of Dogs, London, just south of the financial district of Canary Wharf. It has been designed by BUJ Architects for AccorHotels as one of the company's Novotel hotels and has 313 rooms. It is the tallest all-hotel building in the United Kingdom and the tallest Novotel in the world.
The Captain Kidd is a pub in Wapping, East London that is named after the seventeenth century pirate William Kidd, who was executed at the nearby Execution Dock. The pub is a Grade II listed building, and was historically used as a coffee warehouse.
The White Building was an arts centre in London, England.It was designed by David Kohn Architects, in collaboration with Exploration Architects. It was developed in partnership with the London Legacy Development Corporation, as a key part of the arts led strategy for the legacy of the Olympic Park and surrounding area and it was occupied by SPACE Studios from 2012 until its closure in 2017.
The Church of Our Lady and St Catherine of Siena is a Roman Catholic church dedicated to the Virgin Mary and Catherine of Siena at 179 Bow Road, E3 in Bow, east London. Designed by Gilbert Blount, it opened in 1870. Formerly the parish was run by a community of Dominican nuns, but it is now run by the Archdiocese of Westminster.
The Church of the Holy Name and Our Lady of the Sacred Heart is a Roman Catholic church at 117 Bow Common Lane, E3 in Bow Common, east London. It is dedicated to the Holy Name of Jesus and Our Lady of the Sacred Heart and designed by Frederick Arthur Walters. It opened in 1894 and is now home to the Vietnamese chaplaincy in the Archdiocese of Westminster.
St Mary's Church, Bow was a Church of England parish church in Bromley St Leonard's in east London. 'Bromley St Leonard's' was split from the parish of Stepney in 1536, reusing the priory church from the recently-dissolved St Leonard's Priory, a Benedictine nunnery. It was destroyed by bombing in World War II and obliterated by the building of the Blackwall Tunnel approach road, dividing the main residential body of the parish from the river front, though its churchyard survives.
Royal Mint Court is a property on Little Tower Hill in Tower Hill and is in London's East End, close to the City of London financial district.
Mulberry UTC is a university technical college in Old Ford, London, which opened in September 2017. The school is associated with Mulberry School for Girls.
Republic is an office campus in London, England, situated in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets, near Canary Wharf and Canning Town. It sits on the historic site of the East India Docks and is currently occupied as a multi-use office campus as well as being the location of the Tower Hamlets London Borough Council.