Möckernbrücke is a station of the Berlin U-Bahn network in the western Kreuzberg district, named after a nearby bridge crossing the Landwehrkanal. It is on the U 1/U 3 and on U 7 lines, in the vicinity of Potsdamer Platz.
Moritzplatz is a Berlin U-Bahn station located on the U 8 line. Peter Behrens constructed this unusual subway station in Berlin in 1928. It was closed briefly in 1945, and between 1961 and 1990 it was the last station in West Berlin, after which the train passed through communist East Berlin until Gesundbrunnen.
Platz der Luftbrücke is a Berlin U-Bahn station located on the U 6. It is located under Platz der Luftbrücke and the south end of Mehringdamm on the border between Kreuzberg and Tempelhof, near the former Tempelhof International Airport, and is now named for the square there with its memorial to the victims of the Berlin Airlift.
Schönleinstraße is a Berlin U-Bahn station located on the U 8. Opened in 1928 and designed by Grenander it was shortly closed in 1945 and renamed in 1951 to Kottbusser Damm. In 1992 the station was named Schönleinstrasse again.
Gneisenaustraße is a station on the U7 U-Bahn in Berlin, Germany. The station was opened in 1924 and created by Alfred Grenander. 1945 it was closed for a few months, 1967/68 the platform was elongated. Due to this the station has lost its appearance as it was when Grenander has planned it.
Gleisdreieck is a Berlin U-Bahn station located on a viaduct on the U 1/U 3 and the U 2 lines in the Kreuzberg district. The station has platforms elevated above ground level for both lines. The platforms of the U1/U3 are at a higher level than, and at right angles to, those of the U2.
The Fichte-Bunker is a nineteenth-century gasometer in the Kreuzberg district of Berlin, Germany that was made into an air-raid shelter in World War II and subsequently was used as a shelter for the homeless and for refugees, in particular for those fleeing East Berlin for the West. It is the last remaining brick gasometer in Berlin.
The church St. Thomas (German: Thomaskirche) is a Protestant church in the Kreuzberg district of Berlin. Friedrich Adler designed and built the church between 1865 and 1869. Prior to the construction of the Berliner Dom, it was the largest church in Berlin, and the congregation was one of the largest in Western Christendom.
Tabor Church (German: Taborkirche) is the church of the Evangelical Tabor Congregation, a member of the Protestant umbrella organisation Evangelical Church of Berlin-Brandenburg-Silesian Upper Lusatia. The church building is located in Wrangelkiez in the Berlin borough of Friedrichshain-Kreuzberg. The church was named in memory of the Transfiguration of Jesus, which allegedly took place on Mount Tabor הר תבור in today's Israel.
Checkpoint Charlie (or "Checkpoint C") was the name given by the Western Allies to the best-known Berlin Wall crossing point between East Berlin and West Berlin during the Cold War (1947–1991).
The Jewish Museum Berlin (Jüdisches Museum Berlin) was opened in 2001 and is the largest Jewish museum in Europe. It consists of three buildings, two of which are new additions specifically built for the museum by architect Daniel Libeskind. German-Jewish history is documented in the collections, the library and the archive, and is reflected in the museum's program of events. The museum is one of Germany's most frequented museums (more than 10.8 million visitors between 2001 and 2016).
The Amerika-Gedenkbibliothek (AGB; English: America Memorial Library) is one of the largest public libraries in Berlin, Germany. It was co-financed by a donation from the United States. The building was designed by American and German architects, including Fritz Bornemann and Willy Kreuer. It was opened on September 17, 1954, and was originally planned to become the Central Library of Berlin.
Mehringplatz is a round plaza (or circus) at the southern tip of the Friedrichstadt neighbourhood in Kreuzberg, Berlin. It marks the southern end of Friedrichstraße. Until 1970 both Lindenstraße and Wilhelmstrasse led into it. In 1947 it was renamed after the publicist Franz Mehring (1846–1919).
The Kreuzberg (German for Cross Mountain) is a hill in the Kreuzberg locality of Berlin, Germany, in former West Berlin. It rises about 66 m (217 ft) above the sea level. It was named by King Frederick William III of Prussia after the Iron Cross which crowns the top of the Prussian National Monument for the Liberation Wars, designed by Karl Friedrich Schinkel, on its inauguration on 30 March 1821. On 27 September 1921 the borough assembly of the VIth borough of Berlin decided to name the borough after the hill. The borough was subsequently downgraded to a locality in 2001,
The Anhalter Steg is a footbridge over the Landwehr Canal between the Möckern and Schoneberg Bridges, in Kreuzberg, on the southern side of Berlin city centre. Opened in February 2001, it links the German Museum of Technology with the Hallesches Ufer. It rests on the foundations of the railway bridge leading south from the Anhalter Bahnhof, which was destroyed by bombing in World War II.
Martin-Gropius-Bau, originally a museum of applied arts and a listed historical monument since 1966, is a well-known Berlin exhibition hall located at 7 Niederkirchnerstraße in Berlin-Kreuzberg.
The Hansa Tonstudio is a recording studio, since 1974 located in a former builders' guild hall on Köthener Straße No. 38 in the Kreuzberg district of Berlin, Germany. Famous for its Meistersaal recording hall and situated approximately 150 metres from the former Berlin Wall, it used to be known as "Hansa Studio by the Wall", or "Hansa by the Wall".
The Anhalter Bahnhof is a former railway terminus in Berlin, Germany, approximately 600 m (2,000 ft) southeast of Potsdamer Platz. Once one of Berlin's most important railway stations, it was severely damaged in World War II, and finally closed for traffic in 1952, when the GDR-owned Deutsche Reichsbahn rerouted all railway traffic between Berlin and places in the GDR avoiding the West Berlin area. The station's name lives on in the Berlin S-Bahn station of the same name, opened in October 1939 as part of the North-South S-Bahn link.
Deutsches Technikmuseum Berlin (German Museum of Technology) in Berlin, Germany is a museum of science and technology, and exhibits a large collection of historical technical artifacts. The museum's main emphasis originally was on rail transport, but today it also features exhibits of various sorts of industrial technology. In 2003, it opened both maritime and aviation exhibition halls in a newly built extension. The museum also contains a science center called Spectrum.
The Prussian National Monument for the Liberation Wars (German: Preußisches Nationaldenkmal für die Befreiungskriege) is a war memorial in Berlin, Germany, dedicated in 1821. Built by the Prussian king during the sectionalism before the Unification of Germany it is the principal German monument to the Prussian soldiers and other citizens who died in or else dedicated their health and wealth for the Liberation Wars (Befreiungskriege) fought at the end of the Wars of the Sixth and in that of the Seventh Coalition against France in the course of the Napoleonic Wars. Frederick William III of Prussia initiated its construction and commissioned the Prussian Karl Friedrich Schinkel who made it an important piece of art in cast iron, his last piece of Romantic Neo-Gothic architecture and an expression of the post-Napoleonic poverty and material sobriety in the liberated countries.
The Topography of Terror (German: Topographie des Terrors) is an outdoor and indoor history museum in Berlin, Germany. It is located on Niederkirchnerstrasse, formerly Prinz-Albrecht-Strasse, on the site of buildings which during the Nazi regime from 1933 to 1945 was the SS Reich Main Security Office, the headquarters of the Sicherheitspolizei, SD, Einsatzgruppen and Gestapo.
Hard Wax is a record shop located in the Kreuzberg borough of Berlin, Germany. It was founded in December 1989 by Mark Ernestus at the ground floor of a Reichenberger Straße’s building. It is specialized in techno music, reggae, dub and dubstep. Hard Wax also serves as a distributor for several Berlin-based record labels linked to the Basic Channel aesthetic. Some members (or former members) of its staff are prominent DJs like DJ Hell, Gernot Bronsert of Modeselektor, Marcel Dettmann, DJ Rok, Gabriele „Mo“ Loschelder or Electric Indigo (Susanne Kirchmayr) who was in charge of sales from 1993 to 1996. The shop sets place a mail order system through its website (which represented 50% of the sales in 2009).
Bonjour Tristesse (officially referred to as Wohnhaus Schlesisches Tor) is a building in Kreuzberg, a borough of Berlin, designed by architect Álvaro Siza Vieira and completed in 1984. It was the architect's first completed building outside of Portugal. Before the building's construction, the site held several single-story retail stores. The building was constructed as social housing, primarily for Turkish immigrants to Germany. The name of the building translates from French to "Hello Sadness".
The FHXB Friedrichshain-Kreuzberg Museum is a local history museum focusing on the borough of Friedrichshain-Kreuzberg in Berlin, Germany. It contains a historical archive related to both parts of the district, permanent exhibits on urban development and social and immigration history, temporary exhibits on the district's past and present, and a historic printing press. The museum is part of the Culture and History Department within the district administration of Friedrichshain-Kreuzberg, and is located at Adalbertstrasse 95a in Kreuzberg.
Görlitzer Park (nicknamed "Görli") is a major park and recreation area in the Kreuzberg district of Berlin. The 14-hectare park area contains, among other things, a petting zoo, several sports and football fields, and a small lake. At its north-west end is the Görlitzer Bahnhof U-Bahn station.
The Deutsches Institut für Urbanistik (German Institute of Urban Affairs) conducts research on urban development in Germany and in other German-speaking places. The Deutscher Städtetag (German Association of Cities) founded the institute on 15 February 1973, and named it on 1 October 1973. The Verein für Kommunalwissenschaften runs the gGmbH, headquartered on Zimmerstraße in Berlin.
Europahaus (English: House of Europe) is a large high-rise office block in Berlin, Germany, located in the Kreuzberg district on Stresemannstraße, facing the remains of the former Anhalter Bahnhof railway terminus across Askanischer Platz. It was one of the first modern high-rise office buildings to be constructed in the city.
Betahaus is a coworking space in Berlin and was started in January 2009 by the six founders Tonia Welter, Gregor Scheppan, Stephan Bielefeldt, Madeleine von Mohl, Max von der Ahé and Christoph Fahle, the official opening in Berlin took place in April 2009. Thus, the Betahaus was a pioneer and the first under similar facilities in Berlin.