The Palais Ludwig Ferdinand (also called the Alfons Palais and the Siemens Palais) is an early 19th-century palace in Munich, Germany, designed by Leo von Klenze. It is located on the Wittelsbacherplatz (at number 4) but forms part of an ensemble with the buildings on the west side of the Odeonsplatz. It was Klenze's own residence, then belonged to Princes Alfons and Ludwig Ferdinand of Bavaria. It is now the headquarters of Siemens.
The Alte Pinakothek (German: [ˈʔaltə pinakoˈteːk], Old Pinakothek) is an art museum located in the Kunstareal area in Munich, Germany. It is one of the oldest galleries in the world and houses a significant collection of Old Master paintings. The name Alte (Old) Pinakothek refers to the time period covered by the collection—from the fourteenth to the eighteenth century. The Neue Pinakothek, re-built in 1981, covers nineteenth-century art, and Pinakothek der Moderne, opened in 2002, exhibits modern art. All three galleries are part of the Bavarian State Painting Collections, an organization of the Free state of Bavaria.
Technical University of Munich (TUM) (German: Technische Universität München) is a research university with campuses in Munich, Garching and Freising-Weihenstephan. It is a member of TU9, an incorporated society of the largest and most notable German institutes of technology. TUM is ranked 4th overall in Reuters 2017 European Most Innovative University ranking.
The Glyptothek (German: [ɡlʏptoˈteːk] (listen)) is a museum in Munich, Germany, which was commissioned by the Bavarian King Ludwig I to house his collection of Greek and Roman sculptures (hence γλυπτο- glypto- "sculpture", from the Greek verb γλύφειν glyphein "to carve"). It was designed by Leo von Klenze in the neoclassical style, and built from 1816 to 1830. Today the museum is a part of the Kunstareal.
The Neue Pinakothek (German: [ˈnɔʏ.ə pinakoˈteːk], New Pinakothek) is an art museum in Munich, Germany. Its focus is European Art of the 18th and 19th century and is one of the most important museums of art of the nineteenth century in the world. Together with the Alte Pinakothek and the Pinakothek der Moderne it is part of Munich's "Kunstareal" (the "art area").
The Pinakothek der Moderne (German: [pinakoˈteːk deːɐ̯ moˈdɛʁnə], Pinakothek of the Modern) is a modern art museum, situated in central Munich's Kunstareal. Locals sometimes refer to it as the Dritte ("third") Pinakothek after the Old and New. It is one of the world's largest museums for modern and contemporary art.
The Catholic Parish and University Church St. Louis, called Ludwigskirche, in Munich is a monumental church in neo-romanesque style with the second-largest altar fresco of the world. The building, with its round arches called the Rundbogenstil, strongly influenced other church architecture, train stations and synagogues in both Germany and the United States.
Löwenbräu (German: [ˈløːvn̩bʁɔʏ]) is a brewery in Munich owned by Anheuser-Busch InBev. Its name means "lion's brew" in German. Most Löwenbräu beers are marketed as being brewed according to the Reinheitsgebot, the Bavarian beer purity regulation of 1516.
The Bavarian State Library (German: Bayerische Staatsbibliothek, abbreviated BSB, called Bibliotheca Regia Monacensis before 1919) in Munich is the central "Landesbibliothek", i. e. the state library of the Free State of Bavaria and one of Europe's most important universal libraries. With its collections currently comprising around 10.36 million books (as of 2016), it ranks among the best research libraries worldwide. Moreover, its historical stock encompasses one of the most important manuscript collections of the world, the largest collection of incunabula worldwide, as well as numerous further important special collections.
The Brandhorst Museum was opened in Munich on 21 May 2009. It displays about 200 exhibits from collection of modern art of the heirs of the Henkel trust Udo Fritz-Hermann and Anette Brandhorst. In 2009 the Brandhorst Collection comprises more than 700 works.
8. November 1939 is the name of the Johann Georg Elser Memorial in Munich to commemorate the resistance fighters fighting against the Nazis. The monument is located in the Maxvorstadt district.
The Munich University of Applied Sciences, (in German: Hochschule für angewandte Wissenschaften München (HM)) was founded in 1971 and is the largest University of Applied Sciences in Bavaria with about 17,800 students.
The Museum für Abgüsse Klassischer Bildwerke ("Museum of Casts of Classical Statues") is located in the central Maxvorstadt district in Munich, Bavaria, Germany. It is situated, with a number of other cultural institutions, within the Münchner Haus der Kulturinstitute in Katharina-von-Bora-Straße, near the Königsplatz.
Universität is an Munich U-Bahn station located in the Munich borough of Maxvorstadt. The lines U3 and U6 both call at the station. It is located directly underneath the north-south-running Ludwigstraße, one of central Munich's main traffic arteries and one of the city's Prachtstraßen. The station's location on the western edge of the Englischer Garten also makes it one of the prime access routes to the city's largest park.
The Academy of Fine Arts, Munich (German: Akademie der Bildenden Künste München, also known as Munich Academy) is one of the oldest and most significant art academies in Germany. It is located in the Maxvorstadt district of Munich, in Bavaria, Germany.
The Alter Nordfriedhof ("Old North Cemetery") is a former cemetery located in the Arcisstrasse in Maxvorstadt, Munich, Bavaria, Germany. It is not to be confused with the Nordfriedhof in Munich, which was set up only a short time later in Schwabing. Construction began in 1866 to designs by the city architect Arnold Zenetti.
The Staatliche Graphische Sammlung in Munich (München), Germany, is a large collection of drawings, prints and engravings. It contains 400,000 sheets starting from the 15th century from various artists around the world. Along with Kupferstichkabinett Berlin and Kupferstichkabinett Dresden, it is the most important collection of its kind in Germany. It is owned by the government of Bavaria and located within the Kunstareal, a museum quarter in the city centre of Munich.
The Staatliches Museum Ägyptischer Kunst (German: [ˈʃtaːtlɪçəs muˈzeːʊm ʔɛˈɡʏptɪʃɐ ˈkʊnst], State Museum of Egyptian Art) is an archaeological museum in Munich. It contains the Bavarian state collection of Ancient Egypt art, and displays exhibits from both the predynastic and dynastic periods. The associated small Middle East section displays objects from the areas of Assyrian and Babylonian culture. For decades, the Egyptian museum was located in the Munich Residenz, but it was moved to the Kunstareal in June 2013.
The Palaeontological Museum in Germany (Paläontologische Museum München), is a German national natural history museum located in the city of Munich, Bavaria. It is associated with the Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität. It has a large collection of fossils of animals and plants such as Mesozoic reptiles, early elephants and saber-toothed cats.
The Ducal Georgianum (German: Herzogliches Georgianum) is a theological seminary of the Ludwig Maximilians University in Munich. It was founded in 1494. Pope Benedict XVI studied at the Seminary until 1951.
Königsplatz (German: [ˈkøːnɪçsˌplats], King's Square) is a square in Munich, Germany. Built in the style of European Neoclassicism in the 19th century, it is a center of cultural life. The area around Königsplatz is today the home to the Kunstareal, Munich's gallery and museum quarter.
The Führerbau - translated as "the Führer's building" - was built from 1933 to 1937 after the plans of architect Paul Ludwig Troost, at Arcisstrasse 12 in Maxvorstadt, Munich. The first plans were made in 1931. The building was completed three years after Troost's death by Leonhard Gall.
The Odeon is a former concert hall in the Odeonsplatz in Munich, Bavaria, Germany, which is named after it. Built in the early 19th century to a design by Leo von Klenze and forming a counterpoint to the externally identical Palais Leuchtenberg, it was rebuilt after being almost totally destroyed in World War II and now houses the Bavarian Ministry of the Interior.
The University of Music and Performing Arts Munich (German: Hochschule für Musik und Theater München), also sometimes called the Academy of Music and Performing Arts, is one of the most respected traditional vocational universities in Germany, specialising in music and the performing arts. The main building it currently occupies is the former Führerbau of the NSDAP, located at Arcisstraße 12, on the eastern side of the Königsplatz, Munich. Teaching and other events also take place at Luisenstraße 37a, Gasteig, the Prinzregententheater (theatre studies), and in Wilhelmstraße (ballet). Since 2008, the Richard Strauss Conservatory (de), until then independent, has formed part of the University.
The Staatliche Antikensammlungen (German: [ˈʃtaːtlɪçə anˈtiːkənˌzamlʊŋən], State Collections of Antiquities) is a museum in Munich's Kunstareal holding Bavaria's collections of antiquities from Greece, Etruria and Rome, though the sculpture collection is located in the opposite Glyptothek and works created in Bavaria are on display in a separate museum. Ancient Egypt also has its own museum.
The Nornenbrunnen (Norn fountain) is a fountain in the center of Munich, Germany. It was built in 1907 based on a design by Hubert Netzer in Art Nouveau style. The fountain is constructed of Kirchheim limestone and depicts the Norns, the three Germanic goddesses of destiny: Urd, Verdandi, and Skuld, who lean against a large water bowl. Between the figures are three mouths from which the water pours into three shallow basins on the ground.
The Türkentor (Turks' Gate) is a gatehouse in Munich. It is the only surviving part of the Türkenkaserne barracks, built in 1826 for the Royal Bavarian Infantry Lifeguards Regiment. The gatehouse was named after the Türkenstraße on which it was located, which was in turn named after the Türkengraben channel dug along the Kurfürstenstraße by Turkish prisoners of war during the German states' 18th century wars with the Ottoman Empire to provide a waterway as part of the North Munich Canal System (Nordmünchner Kanalsystem) linking the Munich Residenz with the Schleissheim Palace.
Neptunbrunnen is a fountain located in the Alter Botanischer Garten of Munich, Germany. It was sculpted in 1937 at the behest of the National Socialist government by Josef Wackerle. A muscular statue of neptune stands in the middle of the fountain, holding a trident on his shoulder, above a fish-tailed horse rising from the water.
The Prinz Carl Palais in Munich is a mansion built in the style of early Neoclassicism in 1804-1806. It was also known as the Palais Salabert and the Palais Royal, after its former owners.
Munich School of Philosophy (German: Hochschule für Philosophie München) is a small Jesuit higher education college in Munich, Germany founded in 1925. In the German-speaking countries it is the only institution of higher education exclusively specialized in the study of philosophy.
The Circus Krone Building is the headquarters and main winter venue for Circus Krone in Munich, Germany. It also serves as a major venue for other forms of live entertainment, such as rock concerts. It was originally constructed in 1919 and was the first such permanent building for circus performances in Germany. It was particularly known as the first building specifically for clown shows, although even in its early days it was also used for a range of other events.
The Museum Reich der Kristalle is the publicly accessible part of the Mineralogischen Staatssammlung (State Mineralogical Collection) of Munich, Germany. Part of the Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns, the Museum is part of the arts-complex on the former site of the Türkenkaserne barracks.
The Landeskirchenamt München (i.e. Church Office) is the administrative headquarters of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Bavaria. The building is located in the Maxvorstadt, Munich, Bavaria, Germany.
Münchner Volkstheater, or Munich People’s Theater, is a company based in the Bavarian capital and operated by the cultural office of the city government. Its original performing home opened in 1903. This was rebuilt in 1955 and again in 1983. It now can hold over 700 spectators. Since 2002, Christian Stückl has served as the company’s Intendant. A new larger building has started being constructed in Zenetti platz in the former Viehhof on the corner of Tumblinger and Zenettistraße and it is scheduled to open in 2021.
The NS-Dokumentationszentrum is a museum in the Maxvorstadt area of Munich, Germany, which focuses on the history and consequences of the Nazi regime and the role of Munich as Hauptstadt der Bewegung (′capital of the movement′).
The Charles Hotel is a grand hotel located at Sophienstrasse 28 in Maxvorstadt, Munich, Bavaria, Germany. It was built in 2007 at the old botanical garden near the main train station.
MMA Club (Mixed Munich Arts) is a nightclub in Munich, Germany. The techno club, which has been described by The Guardian as "towering techno temple that rivals any in Berlin", is one of the most renowned and best ranked nightclubs in Germany.