St Aldhelm's Church is a Grade II* listed Anglican church in the village of Belchalwell, Dorset. It is in the ecclesiastical parish of Belchalwell, which is part of the Benefice of Hazelbury Bryan and the Hillside Parishes.
Bokerley Dyke (or Bokerley Ditch) is a linear earthwork 5.75 kilometres (3.6 mi) long in Hampshire, between Woodyates and Martin. It is a Scheduled Monument. It is also spelt Bokerly Dyke.
Pentridge is a village and former civil parish, now in the parish of Sixpenny Handley and Pentridge, in the English county of Dorset, lying in the north-east of the county within the East Dorset administrative district. It is situated on the edge of Cranborne Chase down a dead-end minor lane just south of the A354 road between the towns of Blandford Forum (ten miles to the south-west) and Salisbury (twelve miles to the northeast). In 2001 it had a population of 215. The civil parish was abolished on 1 April 2015 and merged with Sixpenny Handley to form Sixpenny Handley and Pentridge.
Knowlton is a hamlet in the civil parish of Woodlands, Dorset, England. It is about 6 miles north of town Wimborne Minster, and about 1 mile south of the village of Wimborne St Giles. Its most recognizable features are a ruined Norman church built within a neolithic henge monument.
Child Okeford (sometimes written Childe Okeford) is a village and civil parish in the county of Dorset in southern England, situated 3 miles (4.8 km) east of the small town of Sturminster Newton in the North Dorset administrative district. Child Okeford lies downstream from Sturminster, along the River Stour, which passes half a mile west of the village. In the 2011 census the civil parish had a population of 1,114.
Tarrant Rushton is a village and civil parish in north Dorset, England. The village is situated in the Tarrant Valley about 3 miles (4.8 km) east of Blandford Forum. In 2013 the civil parish had an estimated population of 80. Starting in the north east the parish adjoins Moor Crichel, Witchampton, just touches Wimborne Minster to the east, then Shapwick, Tarrant Crawford,Tarrant Keynston and Tarrant Rawston. The ancient church of St Mary is built of flint and stone and parts of it date from Norman times. The church accommodates 120 persons and the registers date from 1700.
Belchalwell is a small village in the civil parish of Okeford Fitzpaine in the Blackmore Vale, North Dorset, England. It lies 2.5 miles (4.0 km) south of Sturminster Newton and 6 miles (9.7 km) northwest of Blandford Forum. It is sited on greensand beneath the north slopes of Bell Hill, part of the Dorset Downs.
St Giles House is located at Wimborne St Giles in East Dorset in England, just south of Cranborne Chase. It is the ancestral seat of the Ashley-Cooper family, which is headed by the Earl of Shaftesbury. The estate covers over 5,500 acres (22 km2).
St Mary's Church is the parish church for the town of Gillingham in the Blackmore Vale in the north of Dorset. The church is in the Diocese of Salisbury in the Church of England, and part of the Anglican Communion.
The Coade Hall is a brick-built theatre and concert hall at Bryanston School, near Blandford Forum in Dorset, England. It was opened on 27 May 1966 by the Duke of Edinburgh On the opening night, there was a concert with music by Brahms, Britten, and Mozart.
Trickett's Cross is an estate situated on the outskirts of Ferndown, Dorset, England. It lies at the junction of two primary routes, the A31 road and A348 road. It has a church and a youth centre which runs clubs, such as scouts and a Jitsu club.
Stepleton House is a 17th-century country house in the parish of Iwerne Stepleton in Dorset, situated about 5 kilometres (3 mi) north of Blandford Forum, Dorset, England. It is a Grade I listed building.
The Parish Church of St Eustace is a Grade II* listed Anglican church in the village of Ibberton, Dorset. It stands to the south of the village, on a steep hillside.
St George's Church is an active Church of England church in Langham, Dorset, England. It was designed by Charles Ponting and built in 1921. It has been a Grade II listed building since 1985. Today the church is used for occasional services, and is maintained by the Manger family trust.
Sherborne Abbey, otherwise the Abbey Church of St Mary the Virgin, is a Church of England church in Sherborne in the English county of Dorset. It has been a Saxon cathedral (705–1075), a Benedictine abbey church (998–1539), and since 1539, a parish church.
Bourton is a village and civil parish in north Dorset, England, situated north of the A303 road on the border with Somerset and Wiltshire between Mere and Wincanton. The parish is the most northerly in Dorset and in the 2011 census had a population of 822. Bourton is the most populous village in the electoral ward called Bourton and District. The District extends to Silton then south to Buckhorn Weston and Kington Magna. The total ward population at the abovementioned census was 1,905. The village lies on the River Stour which passes through the historic Bourton Mill, once home to the second largest water wheel in Britain (60 feet (18 m) in diameter) .
Poyntington is a village and civil parish in the county of Dorset in South West England. It lies on the edge of the Blackmore Vale about 2 miles (3.2 km) north of Sherborne. In the 2011 census the parish had a population of 128.
Bagber is a hamlet in the county of Dorset in southern England, situated about 2 miles (3.2 km) west and northwest of Sturminster Newton in the North Dorset administrative district. It consists of Bagber, Lower Bagber and Bagber Common, which all lie within Sturminster Newton civil parish. Chapel Row consists of around 10 houses in total, 6 of them being within 300 metres of the main A357. These six date back to the 19th century with the chapel now being now no. 6.
Up Sydling is a hamlet in west Dorset, England. It is situated at the head of Sydling Water, a tributary of the River Frome, ten miles north of Dorchester. The hamlet is in the parish of Sydling St Nicholas, about a mile north of the village.
RAF Hurn is a former World War II airfield in Dorset, England. The airfield is located approximately 4 miles (6.4 km) north west of Christchurch; about 90 miles (140 km) southwest of London
St Martin's Church, Wareham, sometimes St Martin's-on-the-walls, is an Anglo-Saxon church in the town of Wareham, Dorset in England. It is the most complete example of an Anglo-Saxon church in Dorset.
Acton is a hamlet in the parish of Langton Matravers, on the Isle of Purbeck, in the county of Dorset in the south of England. The hamlet of Acton was built as living quarters for the quarrymen working at the local quarries.
Turners Puddle is a hamlet in Dorset, England, situated on the River Piddle in the Purbeck district, 7 miles (11 km) north west of Wareham. It used to be a civil parish in its own right, but now forms part of the civil parish of Affpuddle and Turnerspuddle, which also includes the settlement of Briantspuddle. In the 2011 census this joint parish had 200 households and a population of 436.
The Great Globe at Swanage is one of the largest stone spheres in the world and stands at Durlston Castle within Durlston Country Park, a 113-hectare (280-acre) country park and nature reserve,. It is constructed of Portland stone, weighs about 40 tonnes and is 3 metres (10 ft) in diameter.
Durlston Country Park is a 320-acre country park and nature reserve stretching along the coast of the Isle of Purbeck at Durlston near Swanage in Dorset, England. The Park, which is part of the Jurassic Coast World Heritage Site, has been owned by Dorset County Council since the early 1970s and is mostly open access (the Anvil Point Lighthouse and Tilly Whim Caves are not accessible to the public.)
Furzebrook is a small village on the Isle of Purbeck, in the county of Dorset in the south of England. It is about 2 miles (3.2 km) south of Wareham and 2 miles (3.2 km) northwest of Corfe Castle, and is in the civil parish of Church Knowle.
St Aldhelm's Chapel is a Norman chapel on St Aldhelm's Head in the parish of Worth Matravers, Swanage, Dorset. It stands close to the cliffs, 108 metres (354 ft) above sea level. It is a Grade I listed building.
Affpuddle is a small village in the Purbeck district of Dorset in South West England, 9 miles (14 km) east of Dorchester. The local travel links are 3 miles (4.8 km) from the village to Moreton railway station and 20 miles (32 km) to Bournemouth International Airport. Part of the village street is the B3390, which divides the village into two. Affpuddle used to have its own civil parish, which included the settlements of Briantspuddle to the east and Pallington to the south. In the 2001 census this parish had a population of 402. Affpuddle civil parish has since joined with neighbouring Turners Puddle to form the new parish of Affpuddle and Turnerspuddle. In the 2011 census this joint parish had 200 households and a population of 436.
Lytchett Minster is a village in Dorset, England. It lies around 4 miles (6.4 km) north-west of Poole town centre. The village forms part of the civil parish of Lytchett Minster and Upton, Upton now being a suburb of Poole.
Moreton railway station serves the villages of Moreton and Crossways in Dorset, England. It is operated by South Western Railway and is served by their trains between London Waterloo and Weymouth. The station is 130 miles 24 chains (209.7 km) down the line from Waterloo.
Steeple is a hamlet and former civil parish, now in the civil parish of Steeple with Tyneham, in the Purbeck district of the English county of Dorset. It is situated 8 miles (13 km) west of the coastal resort town of Swanage at the foot of Ridgeway Hill. In 2013 the estimated population of the civil parish was 60. The civil parish was abolished on 1 April 2014 and merged with Tyneham to form Steeple with Tyneham.
Holton Heath railway station serves the area of Holton Heath in Wareham St Martin, Dorset, England. It is 118 miles 61 chains (191.1 km) down the line from London Waterloo.
East Stoke is a village in the English county of Dorset. It lies three miles west of the small town of Wareham and two miles east of Wool. In 2013 the estimated population of the civil parish was 410.
Stoborough () is a village in the English county of Dorset. It is situated one mile to the south of the town of Wareham, and separated from it by the River Frome.
Swyre Head is the highest point of the Purbeck Hills and the Isle of Purbeck in Dorset, on the south coast of England. The hill Swyre Head lies about 2 kilometres (1 mi) southwest of the village Kingston, about 5 kilometres (3 mi) south of Corfe Castle and 8 kilometres (5 mi) west of Swanage.
West Parley is a village and civil parish in south-east Dorset, England, situated on the River Stour between Bournemouth and Ferndown and off of the B3073 road. The parish of West Parley covers an area of 4.52 square kilometres (1,120 acres). It is also about 4 miles (6.4 km) to the closest major town of Bournemouth. West Parley has a primary school, a post office, a garden centre and a church. In the 2011 census the parish had a population of 3,585.
Hurn is a village and civil parish in southeast Dorset, England, between the River Stour and River Avon in the borough of Christchurch, 5 miles (8 km) north-east of the Bournemouth town centre. In 2001, the village had a population of 468.
Wool railway station serves the village of Wool in Dorset, England. It is on the South Western Main Line, 125 miles 69 chains (202.6 km) down the line from London Waterloo.
Wareham St Martin is a civil parish in the English county of Dorset. The parish spreads across a large, and mostly rural area to the north of the town of Wareham including much of Wareham Forest. However the town of Wareham lies within its own civil parish, and the only significant settlement within Wareham St. Martin parish is the village of Sandford on the A351 road between Wareham and Poole. The parish also includes the Holton Heath trading estate.
Wareham railway station serves the town of Wareham in Dorset, England. It is situated about 0.6 miles (1 km) north of the town centre. It is 120 miles 70 chains (194.5 km) down the line from London Waterloo. On tickets it is printed "Wareham Dorset" to avoid confusion with Ware railway station.
Mudeford ( MUD-i-fərd) is a harbourside and beach-side parish based on an ex-fishing village in the east of Christchurch, Dorset, England, fronting water on two sides: Christchurch Harbour and the sands of Avon Beach.
Agglestone Rock, also known as the Devil's Anvil, is a sandstone block of about 400 tonnes weight, perched on a conical hill, approximately 1 mile from the village of Studland, south Dorset. Legend has it that the devil threw the rock from The Needles on the Isle of Wight with the intention of hitting either Corfe Castle, Bindon Abbey or Salisbury Cathedral. "Aggle" was taken into the old Dorset dialect as meaning "to wobble".
Almer is a village in Dorset, England. Almer is located on the A31 road near Winterborne Zelston, Huish Manor, Sturminster Marshall and opposite the Drax estate. The main features of the village are Almer Manor, Almer Parish church and the old school house. The school was co-educational; it opened in 1925 and closed in 1964. The Almer School Honours tablet is now kept in Winterborne Zelston village hall. The seven residential properties in Almer are owned and let by the Charborough (Drax) Estate.
Briantspuddle is a small village in the Piddle Valley in Dorset, England, near the villages of Affpuddle and Tolpuddle and about 8 miles (13 km) east of the county town of Dorchester. It forms part of the civil parish of Affpuddle and Turnerspuddle in the non-metropolitan district of Purbeck.
Swanage Grammar School was established in 1929 in Swanage, Dorset, England. It closed in 1974. The building is now defunct (from 2002) having been used as a centre for outdoor pursuits and geography-based learning. Robert Rochelle managed the centre for the final 16 years. The building is at the northern end of Swanage, at the top of Northbrook Road, 15 minutes walk from the sea.
Swanage Town & Herston Football Club is a football club based in Swanage, Dorset, England. The club is affiliated to the Dorset County Football Association. They are currently members of the Dorset Premier League.
Poole Harbour is a large natural harbour in Dorset, southern England, with the town of Poole on its shores. The harbour is a drowned valley (ria) formed at the end of the last ice age and is the estuary of several rivers, the largest being the Frome. The harbour has a long history of human settlement stretching to pre-Roman times. The harbour is extremely shallow (average depth 48 cm [19 in]), with one main dredged channel through the harbour, from the mouth to Holes Bay.
Thomas Hardy's Cottage, in Higher Bockhampton, Dorset, is a small cob and thatch building that is the birthplace of the English author Thomas Hardy. He was born there in 1840 and lived in the cottage until he was aged 34—during which time he wrote the novels Under the Greenwood Tree (1872) and Far from the Madding Crowd (1874)—when he left home to be married to Emma Gifford.
Eggardon Hill is located on chalk uplands approximately four miles to the east of Bridport, in the English county of Dorset. It stands 252 metres (827 ft) above sea level, (some sources 254 m) and provides panoramic views to the south, north and west. The southern half of the hill is owned and maintained by The National Trust (which permits free public access throughout the year) with the northern part in private ownership.
HM Prison The Verne is a Category C men's prison, located within the historic Verne Citadel, on the Isle of Portland in Dorset, England. Operated by Her Majesty's Prison Service, HMP The Verne was established in 1949 and occupies the southern part of the citadel. After a brief spell as an Immigration Removal Centre between 2014-17, HMP The Verne re-opened in 2018.
Hallelujah Bay is a bay located on the west side of the Isle of Portland, Dorset, England. The bay is situated below West Weares, with Clay Ope, Blacknor Point and Mutton Cove further south. Near the cove is a large mound of rock and earth beneath the clifftops known locally as the Green Hump.
Chesil Cove is a curved steep bank forming the south-east end of 29-kilometre (18 mi) Chesil Beach in Dorset, England. It is thus part of one of three large shingle structures in Britain, extending from West Bay to the Isle of Portland (Portland Bill), the latter acting more firmly as a great barrier (groyne) which stops tidal action from washing the beach away and leads to the high depositions by wind and tide action forming the grand curved bank of this "cove". The "cove", bill and much of Chesil Beach give shelter from the prevailing winds and waves for much of Weymouth Bay, the town of Weymouth and the village of Chiswell. It forms part of the Jurassic Coast.
Sandsfoot Castle, also known historically as Weymouth Castle, is an artillery fort constructed by Henry VIII near Weymouth, Dorset. It formed part of the King's Device programme to protect against invasion from France and the Holy Roman Empire, and defended the Weymouth Bay anchorage. The stone castle had an octagonal gun platform, linked to a residential blockhouse, and was completed by 1542 at a cost of £3,887. Earthwork defences were built around the landward side of the castle, probably in 1623. Sandsfoot saw service during the English Civil War, when it was held by Parliament and Royalists in turn during the conflict. It survived the interregnum but, following Charles II's restoration to the throne, the fortress was withdrawn from military use in 1665.
Charminster is a village and civil parish in west Dorset, England, situated on the River Cerne and A352 road 1 mile (1.6 km) north of the county town Dorchester. In the 2011 census the parish had a population of 2,940 and also contains the hamlet of Charlton Down.
Maiden Castle is an Iron Age hill fort 1.6 miles (2.6 km) south west of Dorchester, in the English county of Dorset. Hill forts were fortified hill-top settlements constructed across Britain during the Iron Age.
West Bay, also known as Bridport Harbour, is a small harbour settlement and resort on the English Channel coast in Dorset, England, sited at the mouth of the River Brit approximately 1.5 miles (2.4 km) south of Bridport. The area is part of the Jurassic Coast, a World Heritage Site.
Portland Castle is an artillery fort constructed by Henry VIII on the Isle of Portland, Dorset, between 1539 and 1541. It formed part of the King's Device programme to protect against invasion from France and the Holy Roman Empire, and defended the Portland Roads anchorage. The fan-shaped castle was built from Portland stone, with a curved central tower and a gun battery, flanked by two angular wings. Shortly after its construction it was armed with eleven artillery pieces, intended for use against enemy shipping, operating in partnership with its sister castle of Sandsfoot on the other side of the anchorage. During the English Civil War, Portland was taken by the Royalist supporters of King Charles I, and then survived two sieges before finally surrendering to Parliament in 1646.
Maumbury Rings is a Neolithic henge in the south of Dorchester town in Dorset, England (grid reference SY690899). It is a large circular earthwork, 85 metres in diameter, with a single bank and an entrance to the north east. It was modified during the Roman period when it was adapted for use as an amphitheatre, and the site was remodelled again during the English Civil War when it was used as an artillery fort guarding the southern approach to Dorchester. The monument is now a public open space, and used for open-air concerts, festivals and re-enactments.
Poundbury is an experimental new town or urban extension on the outskirts of Dorchester in the county of Dorset, England. Initiated by prize-winning architect Léon Krier in the spirit of the urban village, it enjoys the keen endorsement of Charles, Prince of Wales, on whose land it is built (Duchy of Cornwall). Due for completion in 2025, it is expected to house a population of 6,000. Poundbury currently provides employment for over 2,000 people in over 180 businesses.
Mount Pleasant henge is a Neolithic henge enclosure in the English county of Dorset. It lies southeast of Dorchester in the civil parish of West Stafford. It still partially survives as an earthwork.
Maiden Newton railway station is a railway station serving the village of Maiden Newton in Dorset, England. The station is located on the Heart of Wessex line between Castle Cary and Weymouth.
Upwey railway station serves the urban areas of Broadwey, Upwey and Littlemoor which are northern suburbs of Weymouth, Dorset, England. The station is situated on the South Western Main Line, 140 miles 31 chains (225.9 km) from London Waterloo, and on the Heart of Wessex Line.
The Old Higher Lighthouse is a disused 19th-century lighthouse on the Isle of Portland, Dorset, southern England. It is located at Branscombe Hill on the west side of Portland, overlooking Portland Bill. The lighthouse is Grade II Listed.
Osmington Mills is a coastal hamlet in the English county of Dorset. It lies within the civil parish of Osmington 5 miles (8.0 km) northeast of Weymouth.
Overcombe is an area in Preston in south Dorset, England, situated on top of cliffs 2 miles (3.2 km) northeast of Weymouth. The River Jordan flows in the vicinity.
Weymouth Pier is a peninsula between Weymouth Harbour and Weymouth Beach, in Dorset, England. It was intended to extend Weymouth's esplanade, and consists of a theatre, Weymouth Pavilion; pleasure pier; car parking and a cross-channel ferry terminal. The entire site underwent redevelopment to include new facilities for the 2012 Olympic Games, including the Weymouth Sea Life Tower.
West Bay railway station was the terminus of the Bridport Railway in western Dorset, England. In 1879, the Great Western Railway, who held the operating licence for the original Bridport Railway (which ran as far as Bridport town), decided to extend the railway to Bridport Harbour. Construction started in 1883, and the line opened on 31 March 1884. The station was called West Bay by the GWR in order to encourage holiday traffic. The line between West Bay and Bridport closed to passengers in 1930, and operated for goods services only until its final closure in 1962.
The Royal Lion Hotel is a hotel in Lyme Regis, Dorset, England. It lies to the northwest of the Lyme Regis Museum, about 100 metres from the sea. It is a former coaching inn, dated to 1610 (although the official site claims 1601).
The Old Engine Shed is a disused 19th-century shed, once used to house locomotives serving the Admiralty Quarries. The shed overlooks East Weares and is located near The Grove village area, on the Isle of Portland, Dorset. It has been a Listed Grade II building since 2001, with English Heritage recording that it is unusual for locomotive sheds from this period to survive in so unaltered a state.
The Avalanche Memorial Church, also known as the Church of St Andrew, is a 19th-century Anglican parish church, located in Southwell village, on the Isle of Portland, Dorset, England. It was built in 1879 and remains active as part of the Portland Parish. The church, along with its boundary wall, has been a Grade II Listed building since September 1978.
Wolfeton House (sometimes Wolveton House) is an early Tudor and Elizabethan manor house in Dorset, England. It is situated amongst water-meadows north-west of Dorchester not far from the confluence of the rivers Frome and Cerne. It is near to the village of Charminster.
The Weymouth Pavilion, formerly the Ritz, is a theatre in Weymouth, Dorset. The complex contains a 988-seat theatre, 600 (maximum) capacity ballroom known as the Ocean Room, the Piano Bar restaurant, Ritz Cafe and other function and meeting rooms.
The Portland Breakwater Lighthouse is a functioning lighthouse located at Portland Harbour, Isle of Portland, Dorset, England. It is situated on the southern end of the north-east breakwater.
Abbotsbury Abbey, dedicated to Saint Peter, was a Benedictine monastery in the village of Abbotsbury in Dorset, England. The abbey was founded in the 11th century by King Cnut's thegn Orc and his wife Tola, who handsomely endowed the monastery with lands in the area. The abbey prospered and became a local centre of power, controlling eight manor houses and villages. During the later Middle Ages, the abbey suffered much misfortune. In the time of the dissolution of the monasteries, the last abbot surrendered the abbey and the site was given to Sir Giles Strangways.
Atrim is a small village in Dorset, England, just north of the large town, Bridport. It is situated on the River Simene. The nearest village is Dottery, closely followed by the larger village of Salway Ash. Atrim is made up of a few houses, and is very near the famous Monarch's Way.
Broadwey is a former village in the northern suburbs of Weymouth, Dorset, England. It lies on the B3159 road. In 2001 Broadwey and Upwey ward had a population of 4,349. St Nicholas' Church serves the suburb.
The Trinity House Obelisk, also known as the Trinity House Landmark, is a 19th-century obelisk located at Portland Bill, on the Isle of Portland, Dorset, England. Built as a daymark, it has been Grade II Listed since 1978.
Uploders is a small village in Dorset, England. It consists mainly of houses, and has a pub (The Crown), and a playing field. The River Asker also runs through the village. It is a linear village, surrounding the minor road between Bridport and Askerswell. It is around half a mile from Loders, and around 3 miles from Bridport, the nearest town. The A35 trunk road also passes by around half a mile from the village.
Upwey was a railway station on the Abbotsbury branch railway in the county of Dorset in England. It was opened with the branch line in 1885 as Broadway, renamed Broadwey in 1896 then the name was changed to Upwey in 1913, to avoid confusion with Broadway in Worcestershire. Although it had a passenger platform it mainly functioned as a goods depot as the location of Upwey Junction on an embankment made access difficult. When the branch closed to passengers in 1952 the station continued on as a goods depot until 1962, served by a stub from what is now the South Western Main Line.
Verne Citadel is a 19th-century citadel on the Isle of Portland, Dorset, England. Located on the highest point of Portland, Verne Hill, it sits in a commanding position overlooking Portland Harbour, which it was built to defend. It later became HM Prison The Verne in 1949.
Wakeham is a hamlet near the village of Easton, in Tophill on the Isle of Portland in Dorset, England. It is situated between the Straits part of Easton, and Pennsylvania Castle. As with the rest of Portland's villages and settlements, Wakeham has been designated as a conservation area, as it is a place of special architectural and historic interest. Easton, Wakeham and Reforne were designated pre-1974. The hamlet features a distinctively wide road running through it, once built to allow space for horse-drawn carts transporting stone by road. Many of Wakeham's older buildings of the 17th and 18th century survive.
Walditch is a small village in the English county of Dorset, situated in the civil parish of Bothenhampton, about 1 kilometre (0.62 mi) to the east of the town of Bridport. The name Walditch is derived from an older term Waldyke, which alludes to the village's location: Walditch is located in the valley of a curved hill that encompasses the village; the hill has a dry stone wall still partially in place, which continues over towards Bothenhampton.
The Portland Cenotaph is a war memorial located on the Isle of Portland, Dorset, England. It is situated at New Ground, looking down to Underhill of the island and overlooking Chesil Beach, as it sits in front of Portland Heights Hotel. The monument is dedicated to the local soldiers who died during both the First and Second World Wars. It has been a Grade II Listed Monument since May 1993.
West Bexington is a village in south-west Dorset, England, sited just behind the Chesil Beach about 6 miles (10 km) southeast of Bridport. It forms part of the civil parish of Puncknowle. The coast here is part of the Jurassic Coast, a World Heritage Site.
West Milton is a village in western Dorset, in South West England, about 3 miles (5 km) northeast of Bridport and 1 mile (1.6 km) west of Powerstock. The village is on the Mangerton River, a tributary of the River Asker. West Milton is part of Powerstock civil parish.
Weston is a village in Tophill on the Isle of Portland, Dorset, England. It abuts the main village Easton. As with the rest of Portland's villages and settlements, Weston has been designated as a conservation area, as it is a place of special architectural and historic interest. The village was designated in 1994.
The Wey Valley Academy is a secondary school with academy status in Broadwey, Weymouth, in the county of Dorset, in southern England.
Weymouth College is a further education college located in Weymouth, England. The college has over 4,000 students, studying on a wide range of practical and academic courses in many subjects. The college is part of The University of Plymouth Colleges network.
The Jurassic Skyline tower (known until mid-2015 as the Weymouth Sea Life Tower) was an observation tower on Weymouth Pier in Weymouth, Dorset, England. It was situated next to Weymouth Beach and the Weymouth Pavilion, where it overlooked Weymouth town, the beach, the Pavilion, the Old Harbour, Nothe Gardens, the Nothe Fort, and Portland Harbour. It opened on 22 June 2012.
Whitcombe Church in Whitcombe, Dorset, England was built in the 12th century. It is recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade I listed building, and is now a redundant church in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust. It was declared redundant on 29 October 1971, and was vested in the Trust on 12 February 1973.
The Woodroffe School is a comprehensive school in Lyme Regis, Dorset, England. It was founded in 1932 by Alban Woodroffe, MBE, JP.
St George's Centre is a former school, built in the 19th century, and now a community information and activity centre on the Isle of Portland, Dorset, England. It is located in the area of Reforne, near the village of Easton. Both the centre and its community hall, which was formerly the school assembly hall, have been a Grade II listed since 1978.
St Bartholomew's Chapel is a Church of England chapel in Corton, near Weymouth, Dorset, England. The chapel has early 13th century origins, with later rebuilds and a restoration of 1897. It is a Grade II* listed building.
Bridport Arts Centre is an arts centre in Bridport, Dorset, England. Founded in 1973, it is housed in and around a 19th-century, Grade II listed building, formerly known as the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel. The complex includes the Marlow Theatre, the Allsop Gallery and a cinema.
Weymouth Old Town Hall is a former town hall at Weymouth, Dorset, England. The building, which was built with Portland stone in the 1770s, has been Grade II listed since 1953. The bell turret is believed to date from the 17th century. Since 2009, the hall has been operated for community use by the Guardians of the Old Town Hall.
Royal Hotel is a 19th-century hotel at Weymouth, Dorset, England. It is located on the town's seafront, overlooking Weymouth Beach and Weymouth Bay. The building has been a Grade II listed building since 1974.
Holy Trinity Church is a Church of England parish church in Bincombe, Dorset, England. The church has late 12th-century origins, with later additions and a restoration of 1865. It is a Grade I listed building.
Holy Trinity Church is an active Church of England church in Fleet, Dorset, England. It was built in 1827-29, replacing an earlier parish church which was partially destroyed during the Great Storm of 1824. Holy Trinity remains in religious use and has been Grade I Listed since 1956.
All Saints' Church is a private church, formerly belonging to the Church of England, in Mapperton, Dorset, England. The church is believed to have 12th century origins, with later additions and rebuilds. It became part of the estate of Mapperton House in 1977 and is a Grade I listed building.
St Mary's Church is an Anglican parish church in Bridport, Dorset, England. It is a Grade I listed building. Part of the Bridport Team Ministry, it is the civic church of the town and principal church of the Parish of Bridport.
Holy Trinity Church is an active Church of England church in Swyre, Dorset, England. The oldest part of the church has been dated to the early 15th century, with a partial rebuild and additions later made in the 19th century. The church is a Grade I listed building.
St Nicholas' Church is an active Church of England church in Abbotsbury, Dorset, England. The earliest parts of the church date to the 14th century origin, with later alterations and extensions over the following centuries, including the construction of the west tower and north chapel in the 15th century. The church underwent restoration in 1807–08, 1885 and 1930.
St Mary's Church, also known as St Mary the Virgin, is an active Church of England church in Fordington, Dorchester, Dorset, England. It was built in 1910–12 for a cost of £11,500. The church became Grade II* listed in 1975, while its gate piers have also been Grade II listed from that time. Historic England describe St Mary's as "large and lavish" with a "high quality finish". Newman and Pevsner described it as architect Charles Ponting's "magnum opus".
Fleet Old Church is a Church of England mortuary chapel in Fleet, Dorset, England. It was formerly the village's parish church until its partial destruction in the Great Storm of 1824. The surviving chancel is now a Grade II* listed building.
St John's Church is a prominent Church of England church on the seafront of Weymouth, Dorset, England. It was built in 1850-54 by Philip Dodson to the designs of Talbot Bury. The chosen site, at the northern end of Weymouth Esplanade, had to be purchased from the Johnstone estate. It was consecrated on 19 October 1854. The transepts were added around 1868, while the entire church was restored in 1883.
St Paul's Church is an active Church of England church in Broadoak, Dorset, England. It was designed by Thomas Talbot Bury and built in 1865–66. The church has been a Grade II listed building since 1984.
St Joseph's Church is an active Roman Catholic church in Weymouth, Dorset, England. It was designed by George Drysdale and built in 1933–34.
Winterborne Herringston, also Winterbourne Herringston, is a small civil parish and hamlet containing about 600 acres in Dorset, England, 1.4 miles south of Dorchester. The only significant structure is Herringston House, a Grade II* listed 14th-century manor house which has been the home of the Williams family since 1513.
Toller Whelme is a small village in Dorset, England, situated in the civil parish of Corscombe approximately 2.3 miles (3.7 km) east of Beaminster, 6 miles (9.7 km) north of Bridport and 13 miles (21 km) north-west of Dorchester. There are seven homes including: West Farm, Norcombe Hayes, Manor House, West Farm Cottage, East Farm Cottage, East Farm and Lake Farm.
Melbury House is a Grade I listed stately home, located in the parish of Melbury Sampford near Evershot, Dorset, It is currently the home of the Honorable Mrs Charlotte Townshend, a major landowner in east Dorset, through her mother, Theresa Fox-Strangways (Viscountess Galway).
Parnham House is a sixteenth-century Grade I listed house located about 1 mile (1.6 km) from Beaminster in Dorset, England. Historic England describes the house as "exceptionally important". In April 2017 the house was badly damaged by fire.
Cosmore is a small village in Dorset, situated just off the main A352 Sherborne-Dorchester road. It sits at the foot of Dogbury Hill, one of Dorset's highest points. It is bounded by two minor rivers, to the East by the Caundle Brook, and to the west, the River Lydden.
Swyre Head, Lulworth is a hill and sea cliff which lies on the Jurassic Coast between Bat's Head to the west and Durdle Door to the east, close to Lulworth (further to the east) in Dorset, England. It is located approximately 8 miles (12.9 km) east of Weymouth and 14 miles (22.5 km) west of Swanage.
Clavell Tower, also known as Clavell Folly or the Kimmeridge Tower, is a Grade II listed Tuscan style tower built in 1830. It lies on the Jurassic Coast, on the top of Hen Cliff just east of Kimmeridge Bay in the Isle of Purbeck in Dorset, England. It is now a Landmark Trust property and in August 2006 was moved 25 metres (82 ft) back from the crumbling cliff edge.
Durlston Castle stands within Durlston Country Park, a 1.13 square-kilometre (280-acre) country park and nature reserve stretching along the coastline south of Swanage, on the Isle of Purbeck in Dorset.
Christchurch Hospital is part of the Royal Bournemouth & Christchurch Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust. It is located in Fairmile in Christchurch, Dorset, England.
Christchurch Priory is an ecclesiastical parish and former priory church in Christchurch in the English county of Dorset (formerly in Hampshire). It is one of the longest parish churches in the country and is larger than 21 English Anglican Cathedrals.
Christchurch was a railway station in Christchurch in the county of Hampshire (now Dorset). It was opened on 13 November 1862 by the Ringwood, Christchurch and Bournemouth Railway. Becoming part of the London and South Western Railway, it was closed on 30 May 1886, and replaced by the current Christchurch railway station located to the west of the newly created junction with the rail route to Hinton Admiral, New Milton, Sway and Brockenhurst. In 1935 the line from Christchurch to Ringwood was closed.
Christchurch railway station serves the town of Christchurch in Dorset (formerly in Hampshire), England. The station is on the London Waterloo to Weymouth line operated by South Western Railway. It is 104 miles 28 chains (167.9 km) down the line from Waterloo.
The Grange School is a school for 11- to 18-year-olds in Christchurch, Dorset. The school is sited in Somerford & takes pupils from the Somerford, Mudeford & Burton areas.
Twynham School (formerly Twynham Comprehensive School) is a secondary school in Christchurch, Dorset, England and has a school roll of approximately 1,700 students in years 7 to 13 (ages 11 to 18). It has Leading Edge, Training School and Academy Statuses. Twynham is part of the Twynham Learning Multi-Academy Trust, comprising six primary and secondary schools local to Christchurch.
St Nicholas is a Church of England parish church at Moreton, Dorset, England. It is known for its thirteen windows, engraved by the poet and artist Sir Laurence Whistler. T. E. Lawrence was buried in the separate churchyard.
St. Luke's Church is an active Church of England parish church in Burton, Dorset, England. It was designed by Benjamin Ferrey & Son and opened in 1875. The church has been a Grade II listed building since 1976. Historic England describe St Luke's as a "pleasing Victorian Gothic village church", with "a careful use of materials", "good Victorian fittings" and "a sense of honest simplicity".
St Aldhelm's Church is a private church in Lytchett Heath, Dorset, England. It was designed by George Crickmay for Lord Eustace Cecil and built in 1898. It has been a Grade II* listed building since 1984. The lychgate of the churchyard is also Grade II listed.
St Nicholas's is a Church of England parish church at Moreton, Dorset, England. It is known for its thirteen windows, engraved by the poet and artist Sir Laurence Whistler. Colonel T.E. Lawrence was buried in the separate churchyard.
St Mary's Church is a Church of England parish church in Mosterton, Dorset, England. The church was designed by Edmund Pearce and built in 1832–33 to replace an earlier building. The church is now part of the Beaminster Area Team Ministry and is a Grade II listed building.
Shaftesbury Abbey was an abbey that housed nuns in Shaftesbury, Dorset. It was founded in about 888, and dissolved in 1539 during the English Reformation by the order of Thomas Cromwell, minister to King Henry VIII. At the time it was the second-wealthiest nunnery in England, behind only Syon Abbey.
Kingston Lacy is a country house and estate near Wimborne Minster, Dorset, England. It was for many years the family seat of the Bankes family who lived nearby at Corfe Castle until its destruction in the English Civil War after its incumbent owners, Sir John Bankes and Dame Mary, had remained loyal to Charles I.
Blandford St Mary is a village and civil parish in the North Dorset district of Dorset, England. The village is on the south bank of the River Stour, immediately opposite the larger town of Blandford Forum. The village grew up around the Badger Brewery, owned by Hall and Woodhouse, which is based there. At the 2001 census it had a population of 1,233. The appropriate electoral ward is called 'Portman' with naturally the most populous area being south of the river. The ward includes Bryanston School and also runs south west almost to Thornicombe. The total ward population at the abovementioned census was 2,436.
Langton Long Blandford is a small village and civil parish in the county of Dorset in southern England. It is sited by the River Stour, approximately 0.75 miles (1.21 km) southeast of Blandford Forum. In 2013 the estimated population of the parish was 120.
Hinton Parva is a hamlet former civil parish, now in the civil parish of Hinton, in east Dorset, England, three miles north of Wimborne Minster. The parish had a population of 56 in 2001. The settlement includes the nearby village of Stanbridge. The civil parish was abolished on 1 April 2015 and merged with Hinton Martell to form Hinton.
Winterborne Stickland is a village and civil parish in the county of Dorset in southern England. It lies about 4 miles (6.4 km) west of the town of Blandford Forum. In 2013 the civil parish had an estimated population of 520. In the 2011 census the parish, combined with the smaller neighbouring parishes of Winterborne Clenston to the south and Turnworth to the north, recorded a population of 653.
Tarrant Hinton is a village and civil parish in the county of Dorset in southern England. It is situated in the Tarrant Valley, approximately 5 miles (8.0 km) north-east of Blandford Forum. In 2013 the estimated population of the civil parish was 160.
West Orchard is a small village and civil parish in the county of Dorset in southern England. It is situated in the Blackmore Vale in the North Dorset administrative district, approximately halfway between the towns of Shaftesbury and Sturminster Newton. It is separated from the adjacent settlement of East Orchard by a stream. In 2013 the civil parish had an estimated population of 50. For local government purposes the parish is grouped with the parishes of East Orchard and Margaret Marsh, to form a Group Parish Council.
Turnworth is a small village and civil parish in north Dorset, England, situated on the Dorset Downs 5 miles (8.0 km) west of Blandford Forum. It consists of a few cottages and farmhouses scattered around a church and manor house. In 2013 the civil parish had an estimated population of 30.
Winterborne Clenston is a small village and civil parish in Dorset, England. In 2013 the civil parish had an estimated population of 40.
Fontmell Magna is a village and civil parish in north Dorset, England. It is situated in the Blackmore Vale, close to the chalk hills of Cranborne Chase, on the A350 road 5 miles (8 km) south of Shaftesbury and 8 miles (13 km) north of Blandford Forum. In the 2011 census the parish had a population of 734.
Hinton Martell (also known as Hinton Martel) is a village and former civil parish, now in the civil parish of Hinton, in the county of Dorset in southern England. It lies within the East Dorset administrative district of the county, three miles north of the town of Wimborne Minster. In the 2001 Census the parish had a population of 368. The civil parish was abolished on 1 April 2015 and merged with Hinton Parva to form Hinton.
Fiddleford is a hamlet in the county of Dorset in southern England. Fiddleford is situated between Sturminster Newton and Okeford Fitzpaine in the North Dorset administrative district. It was founded by an English nobleman named Fitela (Fitela's Ford), and the aforementioned ford is over the River Stour.
HM Prison Guys Marsh is a Category C men's prison, located near Shaftesbury, Dorset, England. Guys Marsh is operated by Her Majesty's Prison Service.
Mannington and its southerly neighbour Lower Mannington are hamlets in the English county of Dorset. They are located within Holt parish 2.5 miles (4 km) north of Ferndown and 2.5 miles (4 km) south-east of Verwood in the East Dorset district. The village is home to a large electricity substation on the National Grid 400kV transmission network.
St Stephen's is the parish church of Pamphill in Dorset, England. The current church lies on the site of a former church dating from 1229. The current church was laid out for construction in 1846 at the end of an avenue of trees. However the actual church was not finished until 1907, under the designs of builder C. E. Ponting. It is the family church of the Bankes family of Dorset.
The Church of St Mary the Virgin in Tarrant Crawford, Dorset, England, was built in the 12th century. It is recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade I listed building, and is now a redundant church in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust. It was vested in the Trust on 1 July 1988.
Ballard Down is an area of chalk downland on the Purbeck Hills in the English county of Dorset. The hills meet the English Channel here, and Ballard Down forms a headland, Ballard Point, between Studland Bay to the north and Swanage Bay to the south. The chalk here forms part of a system of chalk downlands in southern England, and once formed a continuous ridge between what is now west Dorset and the present day Isle of Wight. Old Harry Rocks, just offshore from the dip slope of the down, and The Needles on the westernmost tip of the Isle of Wight, are remnants of this ridge. The scarp slope of the down faces south, over Swanage, meeting the sea as Ballard Cliff.
St Mary's Church is an active Church of England church in Marshwood, Dorset, England. The earliest part of the church is the tower, which dates to 1840, while the rest of the building dates to a rebuild of 1883–84. St Mary's has been a Grade II listed building since 1983.
Weymouth Town Bridge is a lifting bascule bridge in Weymouth, Dorset, England, connecting the formerly separate boroughs of Weymouth and Melcombe Regis. The bridge can be lifted to allow boats access to the inner backwater of Weymouth Harbour, known as Weymouth Marina. The bridge, opened in 1930, is the sixth to have been built across the harbour since 1597 and has been Grade II Listed since 1997. Today, the hydraulically-operated bridge is raised every two hours, 363 days of the year. It remains one of Weymouth's most iconic features.
St Paul's Church is an active Church of England parish church in Westham, Weymouth, Dorset, England. Designed by George Fellowes Prynne, the bulk of the church was built in 1894-96. It has been a Grade II listed building since 1974, with the World War I memorial outside also designated Grade II in 2016. In their book The Buildings of England: Dorset, John Newman and Nikolaus Pevsner noted the church's "idiosyncratic but convincing design".
The Hampton Down Stone Circle is a stone circle located near to the village of Portesham in the south-western English county of Dorset. Archaeologists believe that it was likely erected during the Bronze Age. The Hampton Down ring is part of a tradition of stone circle construction that spread throughout much of Britain, Ireland, and Brittany during the Late Neolithic and Early Bronze Age, over a period between 3,300 and 900 BCE. The purpose of such monuments is unknown, although archaeologists speculate that they were likely religious sites, with the stones perhaps having supernatural associations for those who built the circles. However, it has been suggested that the site is not a stone circle at all, but is instead made up of kerbstones from a Bronze Age round barrow.
St Mary's Church is an Anglican parish church in Bridport, Dorset, England. It is a Grade I listed building. Part of the Bridport Team Ministry, it is the civic church of the town and principal church of the Parish of Bridport.
The Church of Saint John the Evangelist is a Church of England parish church in Tolpuddle, Dorset. The church is a Grade I listed building.
St Mary's Church is a Church of England Parish Church in Sturminster Newton, Dorset. The present church dates from a rebuild in 1486 by the abbots of Glastonbury. The church was heavily modified in the 19th century, but the carved wagon roof remains.
Weymouth Museum is a museum in Weymouth, Dorset, England. It is located within Brewers Quay on the south side of Hope Square near Weymouth Harbour. The museum currently uses temporary space to display a small part of its collection prior to carrying out planned expansion and redevelopment plans.
Swanage Town Hall is a municipal building on Swanage High Street in Dorset. Constructed by the local building contractor George Burt in 1882–83, it reused materials salvaged from demolition works in London. The façade was rescued from London's 17th-century Mercers' Hall and the external clock is dated to 1826. It was not universally welcomed and one critic in the 1930s described it as "positively dreadful". The hall serves as the chamber for the current town council and has previously hosted the magistrates' court, fire brigade and citizens' advice service.
Dorset (; archaically: Dorsetshire) is a county in South West England on the English Channel coast. The ceremonial county comprises the unitary authority areas of Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole and Dorset. Covering an area of 2,653 square kilometres (1,024 sq mi), Dorset borders Devon to the west, Somerset to the north-west, Wiltshire to the north-east, and Hampshire to the east. The county town is Dorchester which is in the south. After the reorganisation of local government in 1974 the county's border was extended eastward to incorporate the Hampshire towns of Bournemouth and Christchurch. Around half of the population lives in the South East Dorset conurbation, while the rest of the county is largely rural with a low population density.
Woodsford is a village and civil parish beside the River Frome, Dorset, England, about 4 miles (6.4 km) east of the county town Dorchester. Dorset County Council's 2013 mid-year estimate of the parish population is 80.
Lyme Regis is a town in West Dorset, England, 25 miles (40 km) west of Dorchester and 25 miles (40 km) east of Exeter. Styled "The Pearl of Dorset", it lies at Lyme Bay on the English Channel coast at the Dorset–Devon border. It is noted for fossils found in cliffs and beaches on the Heritage or Jurassic Coast, a World Heritage Site. The harbour wall – known as "The Cobb" – appears in Jane Austen's novel Persuasion, the John Fowles novel The French Lieutenant's Woman, and the 1981 film of that name, which was partly shot in the town. A former mayor and MP was Admiral Sir George Somers, who founded the English colonial settlement of Somers Isles, now Bermuda, where Lyme Regis is twinned with St George's. In July 2015, Lyme Regis joined Jamestown, Virginia, in a Historic Atlantic Triangle with St George's. The 2011 Census gave the parish and electoral ward a population of 3,671.
Wareham ( WAIR-əm) is a historic market town and, under the name Wareham Town, a civil parish, in the English county of Dorset. The town is situated on the River Frome eight miles (13 km) southwest of Poole.
Ashley Heath is a village in Dorset, England adjacent to the villages of St Leonards and St Ives. Together these make up the majority of the St Leonards and St Ives civil parish.
Dorchester ( DOR-ches-tər) is the county town of Dorset, England. It is situated between Poole and Bridport on the A35 trunk route. A historic market town, Dorchester is on the banks of the River Frome to the south of the Dorset Downs and north of the South Dorset Ridgeway that separates the area from Weymouth, 7 miles (11 km) to the south. The civil parish includes the small town of Poundbury and the suburb of Fordington.
Preston is a coastal village and suburb of Weymouth in south Dorset, England. It is approximately 3 kilometres (2 mi) north-east of Weymouth town centre and 2 kilometres (1 mi) west of the village of Osmington.
Wyke Regis is a village in south Dorset, England. The village is part of the south western suburbs of Weymouth, on the northern shore of Portland Harbour and the south-eastern end of Chesil Beach. Wyke is 15 kilometres (9 mi) south of the county town, Dorchester. The village has a population of around 5,500.
Old Harry Rocks are three chalk formations, including a stack and a stump, located at Handfast Point, on the Isle of Purbeck in Dorset, southern England. They mark the most eastern point of the Jurassic Coast, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Bournemouth Airport (IATA: BOH, ICAO: EGHH) (previously known as Hurn Airport and Bournemouth International Airport) is an airport located 3.5 NM (6.5 km; 4.0 mi) north-northeast of Bournemouth, in southern England. The site opened as RAF Hurn in 1941, but was transferred to civil control in 1944. For a short period Hurn served as London's international airport, until the opening of facilities at Heathrow. Commercial services resumed in the late 1950s, with Palmair commencing flights to Palma, Majorca in October 1958.
Sherborne is a market town and civil parish in north west Dorset, in South West England. It is sited on the River Yeo, on the edge of the Blackmore Vale, 6 miles (10 kilometres) east of Yeovil. The A30 road, which connects London to Penzance, runs through the town. In the 2011 census the population of Sherborne parish and the two electoral wards was 9,523. 28.7% of the population is aged 65 or older.
Melplash is a village in western Dorset, England. It is situated on the A3066 road 3 miles (4.8 km) north of Bridport and 2 miles (3.2 km) south of Beaminster.
The Bob Lucas Stadium (formerly named the Wessex Stadium) is a football stadium in Weymouth, England. It has been the home ground of Weymouth F.C. since 1987. It was formerly a greyhound racing and speedway stadium.
Radipole is a part of the district of Weymouth and Portland in the county of Dorset, England.
Fortuneswell is a village in Underhill on the Isle of Portland, in Dorset, England. It lies on steeply sloping land on the northern edge of the island, known as Underhill, where Chesil Beach, the tombolo which connects the island to the mainland, joins the island. Adjoining Fortuneswell and sharing the limited space on the northern slopes of the island are Chiswell to the west and Castletown to the north. Fortuneswell occupies the steepest land far above sea level, whereas Chiswell and Castletown occupy flat land close to sea level, next to Chesil Beach and Portland Harbour respectively. Fortuneswell has a main shopping street, and along with Easton, is the main hub of the Isle of Portland's activities.
Blandford Forum ( BLAN-fərd), commonly Blandford, is a market town in Dorset, England, sited by the River Stour about 13 mi (21 km) northwest of Poole. It was the administrative headquarters of North Dorset District until April 2019, when this was abolished and its area incorporated into the new Dorset unitary authority.
Weymouth is a seaside town in Dorset, England, situated on a sheltered bay at the mouth of the River Wey on the English Channel coast. The town is 11 kilometres (7 mi) south of Dorchester and 8 kilometres (5 mi) north of the Isle of Portland. Weymouth has a metropolitan population of 71,611 (2018). The town is the third largest settlement in Dorset after Bournemouth and Poole.
Weymouth and Portland was a local government district and borough in Dorset, England. It consisted of the resort of Weymouth and the Isle of Portland, and includes the areas of Wyke Regis, Preston, Melcombe Regis, Upwey, Broadwey, Southill, Nottington, Westham, Radipole, Chiswell, Castletown, Fortuneswell, Weston, Southwell and Easton; the latter six being on the Isle of Portland.
Forde Abbey is a privately owned former Cistercian monastery in Dorset, England, with a postal address in Chard, Somerset. The house and gardens are run as a tourist attraction while the 1,600-acre (650 ha) estate is farmed to provide additional revenue. Forde Abbey is a Grade I listed building.
Cranborne is a village in East Dorset, England. In 2001 the village had a population of 779 people, unaltered at the 2011 Census. The appropriate electoral ward is called 'Crane'. This ward includes Wimborne St. Giles in the west and south to Woodlands. The total population of this ward at the 2011 census was 2,189. The town is situated on chalk downland called Cranborne Chase, part of a large expanse of chalk in southern England which includes the nearby Salisbury Plain and Dorset Downs.
Brownsea Island (also archaically known as Branksea) is the largest of the islands in Poole Harbour in the county of Dorset, England. The island is owned by the National Trust with the northern half managed by the Dorset Wildlife Trust. Much of the island is open to the public and includes areas of woodland and heath with a wide variety of wildlife, together with cliff top views across Poole Harbour and the Isle of Purbeck.
The Isle of Portland is a tied island, 4 miles (6 km) long by 1.7 miles (2.7 km) wide, in the English Channel. Portland is 5 miles (8 km) south of the resort of Weymouth, forming the southernmost point of the county of Dorset, England. A barrier beach called Chesil Beach joins it to the mainland. The A354 road passes down the Portland end of the beach and then over the Fleet Lagoon by bridge to the mainland. Portland and Weymouth together form the borough of Weymouth and Portland. The population of Portland is 12,400.
Badbury Rings is an Iron Age hill fort in east Dorset, England. It was in the territory of the Durotriges. In the Roman era a temple was located immediately west of the fort, and there was a Romano-British town known as Vindocladia a short distance to the south-west.
Beaminster ( BEM-in-stər) is a town and civil parish in Dorset, England, situated in the Dorset Council administrative area approximately 15 miles (24 km) northwest of the county town Dorchester. It is sited in a bowl-shaped valley near the source of the small River Brit. The 2013 mid-year estimate of the population of Beaminster parish is 3,100.
Blue Pool is a flooded, disused clay pit where Purbeck ball clay was once extracted. It is now a lake within the Furzebrook Estate, a 25-acre (10 ha) park of heath woodland and gorse near Furzebrook on the Isle of Purbeck, in the county of Dorset, southern England.
The Bournemouth Aviation Museum is an aviation museum located next to Bournemouth International Airport, near the village of Hurn in Christchurch. It houses a number of aircraft, aero engines, cockpits and a double-decker bus. Unusually for such a museum, its policy is to have open cockpits and visitors are encouraged to climb into the cockpits and press knobs, turn dials, pull levers, flick switches, etc. Cockpits open in this manner include the Vulcan, Lightning and Canberra. It has a flight simulator which is free to use, operated from a mock up cockpit. The museum has recently restored a Boeing 737-200 named 'The Spirit of Peter Bath' and has created an exhibition about Sir Peter Bath and his company 'Bath Travel' inside the fuselage. It is believed that Bournemouth Aviation Museum is the only museum in Europe to include a 737-200 in its collection. Even more recently the museum has taken ownership of the forward fuselage of an ex Empire Test Pilots School BAC 1-11, quite apt considering the aircraft was built only a few hundred metres from where it rests now.
Bridport is a market town in Dorset, England, 1.5 miles (2.4 km) inland from the English Channel near the confluence of the River Brit and its tributary the Asker. Its origins are Saxon and it has a long history as a rope-making centre. On the coast and within the town's boundary is West Bay, a small fishing harbour also known as Bridport Harbour.
Christchurch () is a town and civil parish in Dorset on the south coast of England. The town covers an area of 19.5 square miles (51 km2) and had a population of 48,368 in 2013. It adjoins Bournemouth to the west, with the New Forest to the east. Part of the historic county of Hampshire, Christchurch was a borough within the administrative county of Dorset from 1974 until 2019, when it became part of the new Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole unitary authority.
The Weymouth and Portland National Sailing Academy is a centre for the sport of sailing on the Isle of Portland, Dorset, on the south coast of England. The academy building is located in Osprey Quay on the northern tip of the island, and the waters of Portland Harbour and Weymouth Bay, adjacent to the site, are the main areas used for sailing. Local, national and international sailing events have been held at the site since it was opened in 2000, and in 2005 WPNSA was selected to host the sailing events at the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
Purbeck was a local government district in Dorset, England. The district was named after the Isle of Purbeck, a peninsula that forms a large proportion of the district's area. However it extended significantly further north and west than the traditional boundary of the Isle of Purbeck along the River Frome. The district council was based in the town of Wareham, which is itself north of the River Frome.
Godmanstone (or Godmanston) is a village and civil parish in the county of Dorset in southern England, situated approximately 4 miles (6.4 km) north of the county town Dorchester. Its name means Godman's Farm and it is sited by the River Cerne amongst chalk hills of the Dorset Downs. Dorset County Council's latest (2013) estimate of the parish population is 130. In the 2011 census the population of Godmanstone parish combined with the small adjoining parish of Nether Cerne was 156.
Bryanston School is a co-educational independent school for day and boarding pupils, located next to the village of Bryanston, and near the town of Blandford Forum, in Dorset in South West England. It was founded in 1928. It occupies a palatial country house designed and built in 1889–94 by Richard Norman Shaw, the champion of a renewed academic tradition, for Viscount Portman, the owner of large tracts in the West End of London, in the early version of neo-Georgian style that Sir Edwin Lutyens called "Wrenaissance", to replace an earlier house, and is set in 400 acres (1.6 km2).
Bucknowle Farm is the site of a Romano-British settlement and a Roman villa, located one kilometre southeast of Church Knowle and one kilometre southwest of Corfe Castle village in Dorset, England (grid reference SY95368146). It is about seven kilometres south of Wareham and approximately nine kilometres west of Swanage in the heart of the Isle of Purbeck.
The Cerne Abbas Giant is a hill figure near the village of Cerne Abbas in Dorset, England. 55 metres (180 ft) high, it depicts a standing nude male figure with a prominent erection and wielding a large club in its right hand. Like many other hill figures it is outlined by shallow trenches cut in the turf and backfilled with chalk rubble. The figure is listed as a scheduled monument of England and the site is owned by the National Trust.
Chesil Beach , sometimes called Chesil Bank, in Dorset, southern England is one of three major shingle structures in Britain. Its name is derived from the Old English ceosel or cisel, meaning "gravel" or "shingle". It runs for a length of 29 kilometres (18 mi) from West Bay to the Isle of Portland and in places is up to 15 metres (50 ft) high 200 metres (660 ft) wide. Behind the beach is the Fleet, a shallow tidal lagoon. Both are part of the Jurassic Coast and a UNESCO World Heritage Site.