Carpenter Park is a 322-acre (1.3 km2) park on the north bank of the Sangamon River on the far north side of the city of Springfield, Illinois. Part of the park is a dedicated Illinois Nature Preserve and has been designated as an Important Bird Area of Illinois. The park, which is operated by the Springfield Park District, is one of the roadside attractions of old Route 66.
The Thomas Rees Memorial Carillon is a carillon located in Washington Park in Springfield, Illinois. The brutalist tower stands 132 feet and is constructed from concrete, brick and steel. It was dedicated in 1962 and designed by Bill Turley. Each year the carillon hosts the International Carillon Festival which features world-renowned carillonneurs.
El municipio de Capital (en inglés: Capital Township) es un municipio ubicado en el condado de Sangamon en el estado estadounidense de Illinois. En el año 2010 tenía una población de 115756 habitantes y una densidad poblacional de 692,96 personas por km².
USGS GNIS ID: 428759
The Fisher Building-Latham Block is a historic commercial structure located at 111, 113, and 115 North Sixth Street in Springfield, Illinois. While built as two separate buildings, the Fisher Building and Latham Block are connected by internal entrances and are now considered components of a single building. Construction on both buildings began in 1856. The larger Latham Block has a typical mid-19th Century commercial design with classical influences, which can be seen in its symmetrical windows with cast iron hoods. While the Fisher Building originally had a similar design, it was renovated in the Classical Revival style in 1900. Its design includes a two-story bay window, a decorative cornice, and limestone trim.
NRHP reference number: 00000411
The Gov. Richard Yates House is a historic house located at 1190 Williams Boulevard in Springfield, Illinois. The house was built in 1904-05 for Illinois governor Richard Yates, Jr. Architects Helmle and Helmle designed the house, which has Romanesque Revival and Queen Anne influences. The house's first floor has rusticated stone walls, as do both stories of the turret on the west side; it is a rare example of rusticated stone in a residential Helmle & Helmle design. The front entrance opens to a great hall, which connects the interior rooms; this arrangement allowed Yates to host political gatherings in his home. A landing in front of the fireplace provided a raised space for Yates or his guests to give speeches. Yates left the governor's office the same year his house was completed; he later served in the U.S. House of Representatives from 1919 to 1933.
NRHP reference number: 84001148
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Springfield in Illinois (Latin: Diœcesis Campifontis in Illinois) is an ecclesiastical territory or diocese of the Roman Catholic Church in the south central Illinois region of the United States. The prelate is a bishop serving as pastor of the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception.
The Clarkson W. Freeman House is a historic house located at 704 West Monroe Street in Springfield, Illinois. The house was built in 1878 for farmer and businessman Clarkson W. Freeman. The two-story house has an Italianate design with an "L"-shaped plan, an asymmetrical front porch, a bay window and bracketed cornice on the east side, and long, narrow windows with decorative heads. Ornate Carpenter Gothic trim decorates the top of the porch and gables, including the false gable above the porch; no other house in Springfield has trim with the same level of detail.
NRHP reference number: 80001411
The Howard K. Weber House is a historic house located at 925 South 7th Street in Springfield, Illinois. While the house was built in the 1840s, its current design comes from a series of additions and renovations which began in 1878. However artifacts discovered in the basement date around the 1820s. Howard K. Weber, a prominent local banker, started this renovation process shortly after buying the house. The house's new design was primarily Italianate, as the style was then nationally popular; its influence can be seen in the asymmetrical plan, the low hip roof with a bracketed cornice, and the arched windows. The house also exhibits a late Victorian influence in its more detailed elements, particularly the first-floor bay windows and the Gothic moldings on the second floor.
NRHP reference number: 79000868
The LPGA State Farm Classic was a women's professional golf tournament on the LPGA Tour. It was played annually from 1976 to 2011 in the Springfield, Illinois metropolitan area. From 1976 through 2006, the tournament was held at The Rail Golf Course. In 2007 it moved to Panther Creek Country Club.
St. John's Hospital, founded in 1875 by the Hospital Sisters of St. Francis, has 457 licensed beds and is a primary teaching hospital for the Southern Illinois University School of Medicine (SIU).
Sangamon Auditorium is a 2,000-seat concert hall and performing arts center located in Springfield, Illinois, on the campus of the University of Illinois at Springfield. It was built in 1981. It is the home of the Illinois Symphony Orchestra. Hal Holbrook opened the auditorium on February 21, 1981 with his one-man show, Mark Twain Tonight!, which he has reprised at the auditorium many times since. Over 2,000 events have been presented at the Auditorium since its opening (Sangamon Auditorium averages 100 events a year). These have included concerts, Broadway and stage shows, graduation ceremonies and various other events.
The John F. Bretz House and Warehouse are a pair of historic buildings located at 1113 North Fifth Street in Springfield, Illinois. The house was built circa 1886 for contractor John F. Bretz. Bretz was Springfield's supervisor of city streets for several periods in the 1870s and 1880s, and he also completed several city projects as a private contractor. He played an important role in the construction of Springfield's sewer system, and he began paving the city's streets in brick rather than wood. His house has a Queen Anne design featuring a wraparound front porch with a balustrade, decorative shingle siding, and metal crests along the roof. The two-story brick warehouse, located behind the house, was used by Bretz for his contracting work.
NRHP reference number: 00000945
The Museum of Funeral Customs was located at 1440 Monument Ave. in Springfield, Illinois, USA. It featured exhibits dealing with American funerary and mourning customs. The museum was near Oak Ridge Cemetery, the site of Abraham Lincoln's tomb. Collections at the museum included a re-created 1920s embalming room, coffins and funeral paraphernalia from various cultures and times, examples of post-mortem photography, and a scale model of Lincoln's funeral train. The museum hosted tours and special events and provided resources to scholars who are researching funeral customs. A gift shop provided books and funeral-related gifts, including coffin-shaped keychains and chocolates. The museum was closed in March 2009 due to poor attendance and handling of the museum's trust fund. The contents of the collection were transferred to the Kibbe Hancock Heritage Museum in Carthage, Illinois in February 2011.
The Bell Miller Apartments are a historic apartment building located at 835 South Second Street in Springfield, Illinois. The six-flat apartments were built in 1909 by Bell Miller, a local florist branching out into real estate. Architect George H. Helmle designed the three-story Classical Revival building. The building's design features an entrance pavilion supported by Doric columns, verandahs on both sides, and an egg-and-dart frieze and dentillated cornice along the roof line. The interior also featured the style, as stairways with Classical balustrades led to each apartment. The apartments were part of a wave of new apartment buildings constructed in Springfield's Aristocracy Hill neighborhood in the 1910s and 1920s. The new apartments were advertised as "luxury apartments" and featured privacy and amenities designed to attract middle-class professionals, successfully countering the stigma that apartments were low-class housing. The Bell Miller Apartments stood apart even from these other buildings due to its commitment to Classical decoration both inside and out; while other buildings had formally styled exteriors, few featured as lavish of interiors. The building is currently owned by the Conn Hospitality Group, and operates as a bed and breakfast under the name of The Inn at 835.
Street address: 835 South Second Street (from Wikidata)
NRHP reference number: 95001242
The Taylor Apartments is a historic apartment building located at 117 South Grand Avenue West in Springfield, Illinois. The six-flat building was built by Dr. Percy L. Taylor in 1916. Taylor, the former City Physician of Springfield, rented the apartments as a source of retirement income. Springfield experienced a population boom in the 1900s and 1910s, and most of its new residents were young professionals who only lived there for a short time. As a result, many new apartments were built during this period, particularly in Springfield's Aristocracy Hill neighborhood where the Taylor Apartments were located. The rise in apartments for professionals led to the increased social acceptability of Springfield's apartments, which had previously been seen as lower-status housing. The six-flat apartment was one of the more common building types during the boom, and the Taylor Apartments are a representative example of the style.
NRHP reference number: 04000976
The John L. Lewis House is a historic house located at 1132 West Lawrence Avenue in Springfield, Illinois. The house was the home of American labor leader John L. Lewis from 1917 to 1965, encompassing the most productive and influential of his adult life. Born in 1880, Lewis became a coal miner at the age of 15 and quickly became active in union activities. Three years after he moved to his house in Springfield, Lewis became president of the United Mine Workers of America. Lewis became a prominent national labor leader in his new role, and he used his position to support union efforts in other industries as well. He founded the Congress of Industrial Organizations in 1935, becoming its first president, and helped lead strikes in the steel and automotive industries. Lewis retired from his presidency of the United Mine Workers in 1960 and died nine years later.
NRHP reference number: 79000867
The Sangamon Mass Transit District (SMTD) is a regional mass transit district that mostly serves Springfield, Illinois along with a few neighboring communities. It is governed by a seven-member board of trustees, who are all appointed by the Sangamon County Board of Supervisors.
Street address: 928 South Ninth Street (from Wikidata)
The Cong. James M. Graham House is a historic house located at 413 South 7th Street in Springfield, Illinois. The two-story Italianate house was the home of U.S. Representative James M. Graham from 1896 until his death in 1945. Graham, who served in the House from 1909 to 1915, played a part in several important Congressional investigations. He wrote the minority opinion in Congress's investigation of the Pinchot–Ballinger controversy, in which he condemned Secretary of the Interior Richard Ballinger for appropriating public lands for private use. Graham also participated in fraud investigations into the Bureau of Indian Affairs, one of which led to the resignation of then-Commissioner of Indian Affairs Robert G. Valentine.
NRHP reference number: 89000342
The Illinois Department of Mines and Minerals' Springfield Mine Rescue Station is a historic mine rescue station located at 609 Princeton Avenue in Springfield, Illinois. Built in 1910-11, the station was the first dedicated institution established by any state to help prevent and recover from mining disasters. It trained both miners and dedicated rescue workers in proper safety procedures and emergency preparedness. The station was added to the National Register of Historic Places on July 5, 1985.
NRHP reference number: 85001481
The Jennings Ford Automobile Dealership is a historic automobile dealership located at 431 South 4th Street in Springfield, Illinois. Ford dealer Frank Jennings built the dealership in 1919. The automobile became widespread in Springfield in the 1910s; Jennings Ford was one of several dealerships to open on South 4th Street, which was then the city's automobile row. The three-story building integrated every major function of an auto dealership at the time; it included a sales floor, a service center, a car wash, a storage garage, and a repainting facility. While Jennings Ford closed between 1927 and 1933, the building remained a car dealership through the 1950s. It is one of the few remaining dealership buildings in downtown Springfield and is the best-preserved of the survivors. Today, the building houses an operations center for Illinois National Bank.
NRHP reference number: 06000450
The Hickox Apartments is an historic apartment complex located at the corner of 4th and Cook Streets in Springfield, Illinois. The complex consists of five building units built from 1920 to 1929. The buildings represent three of the five major types of Springfield apartments: two- and three-flat row apartments, detached low-rise apartments with a courtyard, and larger suburban-style apartments with a courtyard. The complex, located near the Illinois Executive Mansion in the Aristocracy Hill neighborhood, was the first apartment complex targeted at upper-middle-class families. While Springfield's apartments had typically been seen as lower-class residences, developer Harris Hickox used lavish amenities, a desirable location, and his own social status to draw wealthier residents to his new complex. Hickox also created an air of exclusivity for his apartments by employing domestic staff and lobby guards and defying the local convention of advertising new apartments. The apartments remained a respected and desirable complex through the 1960s, outlasting most of the other luxury apartments which followed its lead.
NRHP reference number: 84000337
The Abraham Lincoln Memorial Garden, commonly known and referred to as the Lincoln Memorial Garden, is a self-governing 100-acre (0.4 km2) woodland and prairie garden owned by the city of Springfield, Illinois and managed by the Abraham Lincoln Memorial Garden Foundation. The gardens are made up of two major units, the 63-acre (25 ha) Jensen section bordering Lake Springfield, and the newer 29-acre (12 ha) Ostermeier Prairie Center section. There are also 19 acres (7.7 ha) of additional buffer properties. As of April 2006, the Garden is maintained by a full-time staff of 4 men and women, supplemented by more than 150 volunteers and docents.
NRHP reference number: 92001016
Toronto was an unincorporated rural community located in Woodside Township, Sangamon County, Illinois. It was located adjacent to what is now the Toronto Road exit at Mile 90 of the Illinois section of Interstate 55. Today, the Toronto neighborhood of Springfield is roughly defined as the region bordering Lake Springfield south of Interstate 72 and east of Interstate 55.
Midwest Technical Institute (MTI) is a private for-profit trade school in Springfield, Illinois. The college focuses on the mechanical trades, allied health, cosmetology, and commercial driving fields.
Street address: 2731 Farmers Market Road, Springfield, IL, 62707 (from Wikidata)
website: http://www.midwesttech.edu/, http://midwesttech.edu
The Abraham Lincoln National Heritage Area is a National Heritage Area in central Illinois telling the story of Abraham Lincoln. A National Heritage Area is a federal-designated area intended to encourage historic preservation and an appreciation of the history and heritage of the site. While National Heritage Areas are not federally owned or managed, the National Park Service provides an advisory role and some technical, planning and financial assistance.
The Bressmer-Baker House is a historic house located at 913 6th Street in Springfield, Illinois. Hiram Walker built the original house in 1853. Two years later, Walker sold the house to merchant John Bressmer, who commissioned architect Thomas Dennis to redesign it. After several changes in ownership, businessman William B. Baker purchased the house in 1889. Baker hired Charles Wesley Shinn to once again redesign the house; Shinn's Queen Anne design has survived through the present day. Shinn added the copper-domed turret which projects from the southeast corner of the house; the turret is the only one of its kind in Springfield. Other significant features of Shinn's design include the irregular plan, the assortment of exterior materials, the varied gables, and the tall chimneys.
NRHP reference number: 82002599
The Rippon-Kinsella House is a historic house located at 1317 North Third Street in Springfield, Illinois. The house was most likely built in 1871 for businessman John Rippon, Jr. Its original design was a simple Italianate plan; the style can still be seen in its bracketed eaves and its long arched windows with round hoods. Rippon sold the house in 1891, and after passing through several other owners it was bought by Richard "Dick" Kinsella in 1899. Kinsella ran a local wallpaper and paint business, worked as a scout for the New York Giants baseball team, and was a prominent Sangamon County Democrat. In 1905, Kinsella remodeled his house to incorporate Classical elements; the house's porch with Doric columns and its high-pitched roof were added at this time. Classical Revival architecture was popular in both new and remodeled houses in Springfield at the time, and the more traditional Italianate houses were well-suited to renovations; the house is one of the best-preserved examples of these hybrid designs.
NRHP reference number: 92000073
The Cathedral Church of Saint Paul the Apostle is an Episcopal cathedral in Springfield, Illinois, United States. It is the seat of the Diocese of Springfield. The present church building, the third for the parish, was completed in 1913.
Capital Airport Air National Guard Station is a 91-acre (370,000 m2) facility on land leased from the Springfield Airport Authority (SAA), located on the grounds of Abraham Lincoln Capital Airport. It is home to the 183d Fighter Wing (183 FW), an Illinois Air National Guard unit operationally gained by the Air Combat Command (ACC) and State Headquarters, Illinois Air National Guard. Historically a fighter unit, the 183 FW consists of 321 full-time and 800 part-time military personnel (total strength 1,321).
The St. Nicholas Hotel is a historic hotel building located at 400 E. Jefferson St. in Springfield, Illinois, US.
NRHP reference number: 83000336
WTAX is an AM news/talk radio station licensed to and serving the Springfield, Illinois, United States, area. It broadcasts at 1240 AM, and its programming is also carried on 93.5 FM by translator station W228DL. WTAX carries The Rush Limbaugh Show, Wall Street Journal This Morning, Coast to Coast AM, Clark Howard, and The Laura Ingraham Show.
The Heimberger House is a historic house located at 653-655 West Vine Street in Springfield, Illinois. The two-family house was built in 1915; it was designed to resemble a single-family house to blend in with the surrounding neighborhood. Harry Jasper Reiger designed the Arts and Crafts style bungalow. The house has a characteristic low-pitched Craftsman roof with exposed rafters, wide eaves, and clipped gables. Skylights in the roof let natural light into the interior rooms, an uncommon feature for a Craftsman bungalow. The front porch is covered by a large half-timbered gable and features ornamental tiling.
NRHP reference number: 14000154
The Maid-Rite Sandwich Shop in Springfield, Illinois is one of the few remaining early Maid-Rite franchises in the United States. This specific shop, built in 1921, claims to have the first drive-thru window in the U.S. The building, along historic U.S. Route 66, was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.
NRHP reference number: 84001146
Lick Creek is a 30.6-mile-long (49.2 km) tributary of Lake Springfield and thus a tributary of the Sangamon River in central Illinois. It drains a large portion of southwestern Sangamon County and a marginal adjacent fragment of southeastern Morgan County. The drainage of Lick Creek includes all of Loami, Illinois and part of Chatham, Illinois.
USGS GNIS ID: 412056
Washington Park is a park in Springfield, Illinois, listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Located at 1400 Williams Boulevard, the park features walking trails, a botanical garden, large duck pond, rose garden, carillon, and carillon concerts. The park was purchased for city use in 1900, and construction began in 1901. Substantial drainage and dredging were required to turn the wetland portions of the future park into ponds and grassy space. Washington Park is operated by the Springfield Park District.
NRHP reference number: 92000483
The Illinois State Capitol, located in Springfield, Illinois, houses the legislative and executive branches of the government of the U.S. state of Illinois. The current building is the sixth to serve as the capitol building since Illinois was admitted to the United States in 1818. Built in the architectural styles of the French Renaissance and Italianate, it was designed by Cochrane and Garnsey, an architecture and design firm based in Chicago. Ground was broken for the new capitol on March 11, 1868, and the building was completed twenty years later for a total cost of $4.5 million.
NRHP reference number: 85003178
Worry Bird is a North American P-51D-25-NA Mustang (ser. no. 44-73287) currently based at the Air Combat Museum at Abraham Lincoln Capital Airport in Springfield, Illinois. The aircraft was built in 1944 and delivered to the United States Army Air Force (USAAF) in the following year to serve in World War II. At the time, the P-51D was a major component of the USAAF fleet and Worry Bird escorted Allied bombers on long-range air raids in Germany.
NRHP reference number: 99000254
The Lincoln-Herndon Law Offices State Historic Site is a historic brick building built in 1841 in the U.S. state of Illinois. It is located at 6th and Adams Streets in Springfield, Illinois. The law office has been restored and is operated by the Illinois Historic Preservation Agency as a state historic site.
Benedictine University at Springfield in Springfield, Illinois was a branch campus of Benedictine University, whose main campus is in Lisle, Illinois. It offered accelerated associate, bachelor's and graduate programs through the University's School of Graduate, Adult and Professional Education.
The United States District Court for the Central District of Illinois (in case citations, C.D. Ill.) serves the residents of forty-six counties, which are divided into four divisions. The counties are: Adams, Brown, Bureau, Cass, Champaign, Christian, Coles, DeWitt, Douglas, Edgar, Ford, Fulton, Greene, Hancock, Henderson, Henry, Iroquois, Kankakee, Knox, Livingston, Logan, McDonough, McLean, Macoupin, Macon, Marshall, Mason, Menard, Mercer, Montgomery, Morgan, Moultrie, Peoria, Piatt, Pike, Putnam, Rock Island, Sangamon, Schuyler, Scott, Shelby, Stark, Tazewell, Vermilion, Warren, and Woodford counties.
The Dr. Charles Compton House is a historic house located at 1303 South Wiggins Avenue in the Oak Knolls neighborhood of Springfield, Illinois. The house was built in 1926 for Dr. Charles Wentworth Compton, a local surgeon and the founder of local political group the Wentworth Republicans. Springfield architects Helmle and Helmle designed the Tudor Revival house, which was one of their many works in Oak Knolls. The house's front facade features a variety of materials and textures. The main entrance has its own roof and neighbors a stone tower with a parapet. The front of the house has a projecting gable on either side of the door; one gable is stucco with brick-edged windows, while the other matches the rest of the front facade, with brick on the first floor and stucco half-timbering on the second. The original slate roof of the house is broken by two brick chimneys.
NRHP reference number: 100000964
The Lincoln Land Championship is a golf tournament on the Korn Ferry Tour. It was first played in July 2016 at Panther Creek Country Club in Springfield, Illinois.
The Springfield and Central Illinois African-American History Museum is a museum of African-American history and culture located in Springfield in the U.S. state of Illinois. The museum was founded in 2012 by historical educator Douglas King, and moved to a permanent location adjacent to Springfield's Oak Ridge Cemetery in March 2016. The history museum is located in the former home of the Museum of Funeral Customs, which closed permanently in 2009.
The Illinois Historic Preservation Division, formerly Illinois Historic Preservation Agency, is a governmental agency of the U.S. state of Illinois, and is a division of the Illinois Department of Natural Resources. It is tasked with the duty of maintaining State-owned historic sites, and maximizing their educational and recreational value to visitors or on-line users. In addition, it manages the process for applications within the state for additions to the National Register of Historic Places.
The Illinois State Police (ISP) is the state police force of Illinois. Officially established in 1922, the Illinois State Police have over 3,000 personnel and 21 districts. The main facilities of the Illinois State Police Academy, which were constructed in 1968, are located in Springfield. Prior to 1968, training was conducted at the Illinois State Fairgrounds. ISP also maintains the Illinois sex offender registry, administers the state's AMBER Alert program, and issues Illinois Firearm Owner Identification Cards (FOID) and Concealed Carry Licenses. The Illinois State Police is also responsible for driving and physically protecting the Governor of Illinois. In 2005, officers and duties of the Illinois Department of Central Management Services Police were merged into the Illinois State Police.