The George Stanford Farm is a historic farm at 6093 Stanford Road in Boston Township, Ohio, within the boundaries of Cuyahoga Valley National Park. The farm, which overlooks the Cuyahoga River and Ohio and Erie Canal, was settled in 1806 by James and Polly Stanford and their children. Their son George built the main farmhouse circa 1830. The Stanford family played an important role in the history of Boston Township; James reportedly suggested its name, and both George and his son George C. held government offices in the township. The farmhouse has a Greek Revival design with a pedimented front porch supported by Greek columns, pilasters flanking the entrance, six-over-six windows, and a gable roof with a box cornice. The property also includes a barn, a springhouse, a garage, a smoke house, a chicken coop, and a corn crib.
NRHP reference number: 82001874
The Wallace Farm is a historic farm within Cuyahoga Valley National Park in Summit County, Ohio. The property overlooks Brandywine Falls, a 63 feet (19 m) waterfall on Brandywine Creek. Land speculator and sawyer George Wallace settled on the land with his family in the 1810s; Wallace helped found the nearby village of Brandywine and became its first postmaster in 1825. His sons James and George Y. Wallace began farming on the land in the 1830s, though George Y. died in the 1840s. James built a farmhouse and barn on the farm circa 1850, both of which are still standing. The farmhouse has a Greek Revival design with a gable roof and six-over-six double-hung sash windows. The farm also includes a twentieth-century concrete workshop, the ruins of the sawmill, and several building foundations.
NRHP reference number: 85001387
The Valley Railway Historic District is a historic district partially located in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park, extending from Independence to Akron, Ohio. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1985.
NRHP reference number: 85001123
The Virginia Kendall State Park Historic District is a historic district located near Peninsula, Ohio. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1997.
NRHP reference number: 96001515
The Blossom Festival is a summer music festival of orchestral music located at the Blossom Music Center in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio. The festival was originally created to provide a summer concert vehicle for the Cleveland Orchestra and the Blossom Music Center was specifically built to host the festival. The festival's first season was in 1968 and it consisted of six weeks of concerts given by the Cleveland Orchestra intermingled with eight individual jazz/folk music concerts. George Szell conducted the first concert on July 19, 1968. Since then the festival has been expanded to include ten weeks of orchestral music, most of which is still performed by the Cleveland Orchestra but also includes concerts by the festival's own Blossom Festival Orchestra. The Blossom Festival Orchestra is made up of free-lance musicians from the Cleveland area, mostly pulling from musicians of the Cleveland Pops Orchestra, Opera Cleveland Orchestra, or Apollo's Fire. The orchestra performs annually for the Blossom Festival, often appearing when the Cleveland Orchestra has other summer performance engagements outside of the Cleveland area.
The Krejci Dump was a privately owned dump occupying 47 acres (19 ha) on several sites along Hines Hill Road near Boston Heights, Summit County, Ohio. After the area was converted into part of the then-Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area (now the Cuyahoga Valley National Park), the National Park Service discovered that the property, part of one of the most-heavily used parks in the country, was also one of the most contaminated sites in the United States Environmental Protection Agency's Region V. The dump subsequently became a Superfund cleanup site.
Old Trail School is an independent coeducational day school, serving toddler though grade 8, founded in 1920. It is located in Bath, Ohio, in Cuyahoga Valley National Park. It is the only independent school in the United States that is located in a national park.
The Northeast blackout of 2003 was a widespread power outage throughout parts of the Northeastern and Midwestern United States, and most parts of the Canadian province of Ontario on Thursday, August 14, 2003, beginning just after 4:10 p.m. EDT.
The Jim Brown House, also known as the Brown-Bender House, sits east of Ira and Akron-Peninsula Roads in Peninsula, Ohio, United States. Constructed in 1840, it sits back off the road, up a hidden, winding and steep driveway.
Street address: 3491 Akron Peninsula Road (from Wikidata)
NRHP reference number: 79000299
Brandywine Village, Ohio is a former settlement located near Brandywine Falls in Summit County, Ohio, USA. It is within the boundaries of the Cuyahoga Valley National Park. The site lies on the border between Northfield Center Township and Sagamore Hills Township.
USGS GNIS ID: 1071111
The Edmund Gleason Farm is a historic district in Valley View, Ohio, United States. The core house was built in 1851 and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978 along with another building, on a 2-acre (0.81 ha) property. The historic designation was expanded in 1993 to add 13 acres (5.3 ha) including a dairy barn. In the twentieth century, the property became part of the Cuyahoga Valley National Park.
NRHP reference number: 78000377
The Boston Mills Historic District is a historic district in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park in Northeast Ohio in the United States. With the opening of the Ohio and Erie Canal in 1827, people began to settle in this vicinity. By 1842, there was a water-powered mill, a large warehouse, a boat-yard, two stores and a hotel, and the population was around 300. A number of houses and other buildings dating back to that period remain.
NRHP reference number: 92001490
The Botzum Farm is a historic farm at 3486 Riverview Road in Cuyahoga Valley National Park in the U.S. state of Ohio. The farm was founded by the Botzum family, who immigrated to the United States from Germany in the 1830s. According to family history, the family lost their possessions to a pirate attack during their voyage to the U.S., and they were nearly abducted by South American slavers in New York City before traveling to Ohio. While the family purchased the land from the Connecticut Land Company in the 1840s, the current buildings on the farm were not built until after Conrad Botzum settled there in 1883. The farm raised livestock and grew crops, and particularly outpaced its neighbors in the former; at one point it had 65 sheep and 31 hogs, both several times higher than the local average. The farmstead's main buildings are the 1906 concrete block farmhouse, the 1884 Pomeranian barn, and the 1898 bank barn; it also includes two summer kitchens, a privy, a shed, and a well.
NRHP reference number: 99001271