The Avondale Mill was a large gable-front stone structure, three stories in height, and 10 bays long by three wide. It was located on the bank of the Patuxent River in the city of Laurel, Prince George's County, Maryland. It was constructed in 1844-1845 for Captain William Mason & Son of Baltimore. It was complemented by the neighboring Laurel Mill built in 1811 S.D. Heath's machine shop and Richard Israel's flouring mill. At that time it was provided with the machinery for the manufacture of fine cloth, running as many as 1,500 cotton spindles with 150 employees. In 1845, industrialist Peter Gorman was responsible for the first macadamized (paved) road in Laurel, Avondale Street next to the new Mill.
NRHP reference number: 79003267
The Laurel Museum is a museum in Laurel, Maryland, in the United States. It is located in a mill workers' home that was built by Horace Capron between 1836 and 1840. It was restored by the City of Laurel, and opened to the public on May 1, 1996. Located on the northeast corner of 9th and Main Streets, the museum has exhibits that highlight the history of Laurel and its citizens. A gift shop is available and museum admission is free.
Old Laurel High School is a historic former school building on Montgomery Street in Laurel, Maryland. Built in 1899, it was the original home of Laurel High School, and now houses a community center.
Street address: Montgomery Street (from Wikidata)
NRHP reference number: 79003170
The Cave Research Foundation (CRF) is an American private, non-profit group dedicated to the exploration, research, and conservation of caves. The group arose in the early 1950s from the exploration efforts at Floyd Collins Crystal Cave, now within Mammoth Cave National Park. Its stated goals were: to promote exploration and documentation of caves and karst areas, initiate and support cave and karst research, aid in cave conservation and protection, and to assist with the interpretation of caves and karst to the public.
The Eisenhower House, also known as "Mrs. Ray's Boarding House," is a historic house constructed in 1879 located in Laurel, Maryland in Prince George's, Maryland, United States listed in the Maryland Historical Trust.
The Laurel Sanitarium for Nervous and Mental Diseases was a prominent sanitarium, and later a women's nursing home, and landmark building along U.S. Route 1 in Laurel, Maryland. The sanitarium was founded in 1905 by Dr. Jesse C. Coggins and Dr. Cornelius DeWeese to treat patients with mental illness and addiction. It was converted to a women's nursing home in 1950. The facility closed after Coggins' death in 1963, and was demolished by controlled fire in 1964.
Laurel High School is a public high school located in Laurel, Maryland, United States; it is the oldest school in the Prince George's County Public Schools system.
The Laurel Mill was a multi-use mill located along the Patuxent River in Laurel, Maryland. Built by Nicholas Snowden on the site of an earlier grist mill, Laurel Mill operated intermittently between 1811 and 1929, manufacturing flour, cloth, cotton duck and other cotton products, and window shades. Between 1835 and 1851 the mill was operated by Horace Capron, who had married into the Snowden family, and the Patuxent Manufacturing Company, who also established the town of Laurel Factory, which was incorporated as Laurel in 1870.
The Venus Theatre is a major American regional theater in Laurel, Maryland. The theater was founded by Deborah Randall in 2001. The theatrical company is currently the largest production company in Maryland focused primarily on the retelling and adaptation of classics. Past productions have won the Maryland Theatrical Association's Best Drama Prize in 2002 and 2005. The current musical director is Alan Scott.