Lecale Lower (named after the former barony of Lecale) is a barony in County Down, Northern Ireland. It lies to the east of the county with Strangford Lough to its north and the Irish Sea to its right. It is bordered by five other baronies: Lecale Upper to the south; Ards Upper to the north-east just across the mouth of Strangford Lough; Dufferin to the north; Castlereagh Upper to the north-west; and Kinelarty to the west.
Downpatrick (from Irish: Dún Pádraig, meaning 'Patrick's fort') is a town in County Down, Northern Ireland. It is on the Lecale peninsula, about 21 mi (34 km) south of Belfast. In the Middle Ages, it was the capital of the Dál Fiatach, the main ruling dynasty of Ulaid. Its cathedral is said to be the burial place of Saint Patrick. Today, it is the county town of Down and the joint headquarters of Newry, Mourne and Down District Council. Downpatrick had a population of 10,822 according to the 2011 Census.
Down District Council was a Local Council in County Down in Northern Ireland. It merged with Newry and Mourne District Council in April 2015 under local government reorganisation in Northern Ireland to become Newry, Mourne and Down District Council.
FIPS 10-4 (countries and regions): UKR9; website: http://www.downdc.gov.uk/; ISO 3166-2 code: GB-DOW
Strangford Lough (from Old Norse Strangr Fjörðr, meaning "strong sea-inlet") is a large sea loch or inlet in County Down, in the east of Northern Ireland. It is the largest inlet in Ireland and the British Isles, covering 150 km2 (58 sq mi). The lough is almost fully enclosed by the Ards Peninsula and is linked to the Irish Sea by a long narrow channel at its southeastern edge. The main body of the lough has at least seventy islands along with many islets (pladdies), bays, coves, headlands and mudflats. Historically it was called 'Lough Coan' (Irish Loch Cuan, "sea-inlet of bays/havens"), while 'Strangford' referred to the narrow sea channel. It is part of the 'Strangford and Lecale' Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Strangford Lough was designated as Northern Ireland's first Marine Conservation Zone in 2013, and has been designated a Special Area of Conservation for its important wildlife.
Killough railway station was on the Downpatrick, Killough and Ardglass Railway, which ran from Downpatrick to Ardglass in Northern Ireland.
Ards and North Down is a local government district in Northern Ireland. It was created on 1 April 2015 by merging the Borough of Ards and the Borough of North Down. The local authority is Ards and North Down Borough Council.
ISO 3166-2 code: GB-AND; website: http://www.ardsandnorthdown.gov.uk/; UK Government Statistical Service code: N09000011
Sketrick Castle is a castle situated on Sketrick Island near Whiterock, County Down, Northern Ireland. The castle is estimated to date back to the 12th century. Sketrick Castle tower-house and the passage to spring are State Care Historic Monuments in the townland of Sketrick Island, in the Ards and North Down Borough, at grid ref: J5245 6252.
Tullynakill (from Irish: Tulaigh na Cille, meaning 'knoll of the church') is a civil parish and townland (of 317 acres) in County Down, Northern Ireland. It is situated in the historic barony of Castlereagh Lower.
Margaret's Castle is a castle in Ardglass, County Down, Northern Ireland. It is a small Tower house probably built in the 15th century. Only two storeys still exist but there is evidence that it was at least three storeys high. It is vaulted above the ground floor with a rectangular tower with projecting turrets in the north west wall. The doorway between the turrets was protected by a murder-hole. A spiral stairway rises within the west turret.
The White House is a ruined 17th century dwelling house at Ballyspurge, near Cloghy, County Down, Northern Ireland on the Ards Peninsula. It is situated about one mile (1.2 km) south-east of Cloghy, overlooking Slanes Bay. It is a State Care Historic Monument at grid ref: J6248 5506.
Evopod is a unique tidal energy device being developed by a UK-based company Oceanflow Energy Ltd for generating electricity from tidal streams and ocean currents. It can operate in exposed deep water sites where severe wind and waves also make up the environment.
Coney Island railway station was on the Downpatrick, Killough and Ardglass Railway, which ran from Downpatrick to Ardglass in Northern Ireland.
Downpatrick Racecourse Platform railway station was on the Downpatrick, Killough and Ardglass Railway, which ran from Downpatrick to Ardglass in Northern Ireland.
Downpatrick Courthouse is a judicial facility on English Street, Downpatrick, County Down, Northern Ireland. The courthouse, which served as the headquarters of Down County Council from 1878 to 1973, is a Grade B+ listed building.
On 9 April 1990, the South Down Brigade of the Provisional Irish Republican Army (IRA) detonated a massive improvised land mine under a British Army convoy outside Downpatrick, County Down, Northern Ireland. Four soldiers of the Ulster Defence Regiment (UDR) were killed, the regiment's greatest loss of life since 1983.
Die Ruine der vorromanischen Kirche am St. John’s Point (irisch Rinn Eoin) liegt im Süden des County Down auf der Lecale Lower genannten Ostseite Lecale-Halbinsel in Nordirland; etwa 2,5 km vom Ort Killough und 8,4 km von Ardglass entfernt. Die Halbinsel ist zum Teil Landschaftsschutzgebiet (englisch Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty – AONB).
Cowd Castle is a castle situated in Ardglass, County Down, Northern Ireland. It is on the other side of the road from Margaret's Castle, at the entrance to Ardglass Golf Club. It is a small two-storey tower which may date from the late 15th century or early 16th century. The doorway is in the west wall. A straight mural stairway (now blocked) led to the upper level.
Comber (from Irish: An Comar, meaning 'the confluence' , CUM-ber, locally cummer) is a town in County Down, Northern Ireland. It lies 5 miles (8 km) south of Newtownards, at the northern end of Strangford Lough. It is situated in the townland of Town Parks, the civil parish of Comber and the historic barony of Castlereagh Lower. Comber is part of the Ards and North Down Borough. It is also known for Comber Whiskey which was last distilled in 1953. A notable native was Thomas Andrews, the designer of the RMS Titanic and was among the many who went down with her. Comber had a population of 9,071 people in the 2011 Census.
Cloghy ( KLAWKH-ee; from Irish: Clochaigh, meaning 'stony place'), also spelt Cloughey or Cloughy, is a small village and townland in County Down, Northern Ireland. It lies on the east (Irish Sea) coast of the Ards Peninsula, in the Ards and North Down Borough. It had a population of 1,075 people in the 2011 Census.
Ballyalton Court Cairn is a single court grave situated on a rock outcrop by the roadside 0.5 miles from Ballyalton village, which is 2.25 miles east of Downpatrick, County Down, Northern Ireland, at grid ref 531 448. The tomb contained human bones, flint implements and pottery now known as Ballyalton bowls.
The A22 is a road in County Down, in Northern Ireland. Its route starts in Dundonald and runs to Comber, forming the main transport corridor connecting Belfast and Comber, a commuter town situated 8 miles outside of the city. After bypassing Comber town itself, the route continues along the eastern shores of, though not directly adjacent to, Strangford Lough. The route passes through Lisbane, Balloo (near Killinchy), and Killyleagh, terminating in Downpatrick.
Bright Castle is a castle near Downpatrick, County Down, Northern Ireland. The tower house is a Scheduled Historic Monument sited in the townland of Bright, in Down District Council area, at grid ref: J5066 3822.
Ards Upper (named after the former barony of Ards) is a barony in County Down, Northern Ireland. It lies on the southern half of the Ards Peninsula in the east of the county, with the Irish Sea to its east and Strangford Lough to its west. It is bordered by two other baronies: Ards Lower to the north; and Lecale Lower just across the mouth of Strangford Lough to the south.
Bright Halt railway station was on the Downpatrick, Killough and Ardglass Railway, which ran from Downpatrick to Ardglass in Northern Ireland.
Saint John's Point or St. John's Point (Irish: Rinn Eoin) is a cape at the southern tip of the Lecale peninsula of County Down Northern Ireland, separating Dundrum Bay from Killough Harbour, which forms its northern extremity. The cape is mostly surrounded by the Irish Sea and derives its name from a now ruined church dedicated to Saint John, being recorded here since at least 1170. A well known beacon in the north-eastern Irish Sea, St. John's Point Lighthouse, built in 1844, sits near its southern tip and, at 40 m (130 ft), is the tallest lighthouse in Ireland (the Fastnet Lighthouse, though taller, is offshore).
The Down Arts Centre, formerly Downpatrick Town Hall and also Downpatrick Assembly Rooms, is a municipal structure in Irish Street in Downpatrick, County Down, Northern Ireland. The structure, which was the meeting place of Down Urban District Council, is a Grade B1 listed building.
Audleystown Court Tomb is a Neolithic dual court tomb located in Ballyculter parish, near the southern shore of Strangford Lough in County Down, Northern Ireland. The tomb was built during the period 3900–3500 BCE. It was first excavated by archaeologist, A.E. Collins in 1952. The Audleystown court tomb has a double courtyard-double burial chamber layout, which is unique to Ireland.
Saul Monastery is a former Christian monastery located in County Down, Northern Ireland. It is traditionally associated with the 5th-century Saint Patrick, who is said to have founded it shortly after arriving in Ireland, and having died there at the end of his missionary work.
The Downshire Hospital (Irish: Ospidéal Downshire) is a 16-bed psychiatric hospital at Downpatrick, County Down, Northern Ireland, for both psychiatric intensive-care patients and low secure rehabilitation.
Die Megalithanlage bei Millin Bay (irisch Bá an Mhillín) im County Down in Nordirland liegt bei Portaferry auf der Ards-Halbinsel und wurde 1955 von A. E. P. Collins und D. M. Waterman ausgegraben. Ihr Aufbau passt in keine der gängigen Klassifikationen irischer Megalithanlagen. Die spärlichen Funde weisen sie als spätjungsteinzeitlich aus. Sie besteht aus einer zentralen überlangen Steinkiste und einem eng gestellten Halboval aufgestellter Steinplatten, das durch ein Gegenstück aus weit gestellten und größeren Steinen ergänzt wird. Eine nord-süd verlaufende gerade Steinreihe teilt das Oval parallel zur Steinkiste und weitere sieben Steinkisten ergänzen das Ganze. Viele Steine sind mit Motiven in der Tradition der irischen Passage tombs dekoriert.
Slievenagriddle (irisch Sliabh na Gridille, „Berg des Backblechs“, auch The Giant’s Griddle genannt) ist eine Megalithanlage beim Weiler Saul, östlich von Downpatrick im County Down in Nordirland.
Das Portal Tomb von Ballygraffan liegt im gleichnamigen Townland (irisch Baile Mhic Creamhthainn) direkt neben einer Straße, östlich der Ballygraffan Road, südöstlich von Comber im County Down in Nordirland. Als Portal Tombs werden auf den Britischen Inseln Megalithanlagen bezeichnet, bei denen zwei gleich hohe, aufrecht stehende Steine mit einem Türstein dazwischen, die Vorderseite einer Kammer bilden, die mit einem zum Teil gewaltigen Deckstein bedeckt ist.
Rough Island (deutsch „die raue Insel“) liegt zwischen Newtownards und Comber, etwa 300 m vom Nordwestufer des Strangford Lough im County Down in Nordirland. Die kleine tropfenförmige Gezeiteninsel wurde von einem Drumlin gebildet und ist bei Ebbe durch einen schmalen Damm mit dem Festland verbunden.
Audleystown Court Cairn is a dual court grave situated near the south shore of Strangford Lough, north-west of Castle Ward, 1.75 miles from Strangford village in County Down, Northern Ireland, at grid ref: 562 504). It contained human and animal remains, as well as pottery and flint implements.
Strangford Castle is a castle on a height overlooking the harbour in Strangford, County Down, Northern Ireland, across Strangford Lough from Portaferry Castle. It was probably originally built in the 15th century but most of the present building dates from the late 16th century. Strangford Castle tower house is a State Care Historic Monument in the townland of Strangford Lower, in Down District Council area, at grid ref: J5887 4983.
Struell Wells (Irish: Toibreacha an tSruthail; Ulster-Scots: Struell Waals) are a set of four holy wells in the townland of Struell, 1.5 miles (2.4 km) east of Downpatrick, County Down, Northern Ireland (grid ref: J513442). The wells date from before the time of Saint Patrick, and even today are used for people seeking cures. On Mid-Summer Eve (Saint John's Eve) and the Friday before Lammas, hundreds of pilgrims used to visit Struell. The earliest written reference to the wells is in 1306, but none of the surviving buildings is earlier than about 1600. Pilgrimages to the site are well documented from the 16th century to the 19th century. The site is managed by the Northern Ireland Environment Agency.