Landesbank Berlin Holding (formerly Bankgesellschaft Berlin) (FWB: BEB2 is a large commercial bank based in Berlin, Germany. It is the holding company of the Berliner Sparkasse and Landesbank. In 2007, LBB was taken over by the Deutscher Sparkassen- und Giroverband (DSGV). Berlin was forced to sell its stake by the European Commission as a condition of permitting the bailout of the then Bankgesellschaft Berlin, which had gotten into difficulties due to a real-estate scandal. In 2010, a net profit of EUR 317 million was reported.
The Reich Main Security Office (German: Reichssicherheitshauptamt or RSHA) was an organization subordinate to Heinrich Himmler in his dual capacities as Chef der Deutschen Polizei (Chief of German Police) and Reichsführer-SS, the head of the Nazi Party's Schutzstaffel (SS). The organization's stated duty was to fight all "enemies of the Reich" inside and outside the borders of Nazi Germany.
The Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda (German: Reichsministerium für Volksaufklärung und Propaganda, RMVP or Propagandaministerium) was a Nazi government agency to enforce Nazi ideology.
The Ordnungspolizei (German: [ˈʔɔɐ̯dnʊŋspoliˌt͡saɪ], Order Police), abbreviated Orpo, were the uniformed police force in Nazi Germany between 1936 and 1945. The Orpo organisation was absorbed into the Nazi monopoly on power after regional police jurisdiction was removed in favour of the central Nazi government (Verreichlichung of the police). The Orpo was under the administration of the Interior Ministry, but led by members of the Schutzstaffel (SS) until the end of World War II. Owing to their green uniforms, Orpo were also referred to as Grüne Polizei (green police). The force was first established as a centralised organisation uniting the municipal, city, and rural uniformed police that had been organised on a state-by-state basis.
The German Institute for Economic Research (German: Deutsches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung) or more commonly DIW Berlin is one of the leading economic research institutes in Germany. It is an independent, non-profit academic institution which is involved in basic research and policy advice. DIW Berlin was founded in 1925 as the Institute for Business Cycle Research and was later renamed.
The Free State of Prussia (German: Freistaat Preußen) was a state of Germany from 1918 to 1947.
The Berlin-Brandenburg Academy of Sciences and Humanities (German: Berlin-Brandenburgische Akademie der Wissenschaften), abbreviated BBAW, is the official academic society for the natural sciences and humanities for the German states of Berlin and Brandenburg. Housed in three locations in and around Berlin, Germany, the BBAW is the largest non-university humanities research institute in the region.
DAPD News Agency (in German dapd Nachrichtenagentur) was a German news agency.
The International Peace Bureau (IPB) (French: Bureau international de la paix), founded in 1891, is one of the world's oldest international peace federations.
Four Music (FOUR MUSIC Productions GmbH) is a German record label founded by Die Fantastischen Vier in 1996.
The Supreme Court of the German Democratic Republic (German: Oberstes Gericht der DDR) was the highest judicial organ of the GDR. It was set up in 1949 and was housed on Scharnhorststraße 6 in Berlin. The building now houses the district court in Berlin, Germany 2 Instance and the District Court Berlin-Mitte. In the early days, 14 judges made up the court.
The Document Foundation (TDF) is a non-profit organization that promotes open-source document handling software. It was created by members of the OpenOffice.org community to manage and develop LibreOffice, a free and open-source office suite, and is legally registered in Germany as a Stiftung. Its goal is to produce a vendor-independent office suite with ODF support in a development environment free from company control.
Europa-Union Deutschland e.V. (EUD) is the German section of the Union of European Federalists (UEF). It is a non-partisan, interdenominational and independent non-governmental organization advocating federal Europe. EUD's youth organization, Junge Europäische Föderalisten Deutschland is part of the Young European Federalists.
European Movement Germany is a non-partisan network of interest groups in the field of EU politics in Germany. It cooperates closely with all EU stakeholders on a national and European level, most particularly with the German Federal Government and the European Commission. The 247 member organisations represent various social groups including business and professional associations, trade unions, educational and academic institutions, foundations and political parties, amongst others. The aim is to continually improve, in close cooperation with political institutions, communication on European politics, European perspectives and the coordination of European policy. The EM Germany network is a member of European Movement International.
The Reichssicherheitsdienst (RSD, lit. "Reich security service") was an SS security force of Nazi Germany. Originally bodyguards for Adolf Hitler, it later provided men for the protection of other high-ranking leaders of the Nazi regime. The group, although similar in name, was completely separate from the Sicherheitsdienst (SD) which was the formal intelligence service for the SS, the Nazi Party and later Nazi Germany.
The Nathan Israel Department Store (German: Kaufhaus Nathan Israel or Kaufhaus N. Israel) was a department store in Berlin. The business was started in 1815 by Nathan Israel as a small second-hand store in the Molkenmarkt. By 1925, it employed over 2,000 people and was a member of the Berlin Stock Exchange, and in the 1930s was one of the largest retail establishments in Europe. Because it was owned by Jews, the store was boycotted by the German government when the Nazi Party came to power in 1933. It was ransacked during the Kristallnacht in 1938 and then handed over to a non-Jewish family by the Nazis. The descendants of the original owners began to receive compensation for their losses after the fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989.
The Ministry of Aviation (German: Reichsluftfahrtministerium), abbreviated RLM, was a government department during the period of Nazi Germany (1933–45). It is also the original name of the Detlev-Rohwedder-Haus building on the Wilhelmstrasse in central Berlin, Germany, which today houses the German Finance Ministry (Bundesministerium der Finanzen).
The Sicherheitspolizei (English: Security Police), often abbreviated as SiPo, was a term used in Germany for security police. In the Nazi era, it was used to describe the state political and criminal investigation security agencies. It was made up by the combined forces of the Gestapo (secret state police) and the Kriminalpolizei (criminal police; Kripo) between 1936 and 1939. As a formal agency, the SiPo was folded into the RSHA in 1939, but the term continued to be used informally until the end of World War II in Europe.
The Reichspostministerium (RPM) in Berlin was the Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications of the German Weimar Republic from 1919 until 1933 as well as of Nazi Germany from 1933 to 1945. Especially during the Nazi rule, it had authority over research and development departments in the areas of television engineering, high-frequency technology, cable (wide-band) transmission, metrology, and acoustics (microphone technology).
The International Association of Lawyers against Nuclear Arms (IALANA) is an international non-governmental organisation headquartered in Berlin. It was founded in 1988 and seeks "to build and strengthen international legal efforts to ban the use and threat of use of nuclear weapons." Its membership consists of individual lawyers and lawyer's organisations. The current President of the organisation is Christopher Weeramantry, a former Judge of the International Court of Justice. The German section of the organisation was co-founded by former German Minister of Justice Herta Däubler-Gmelin. IALANA had a central role in the process that sought an advisory ruling on the legality of nuclear arms from the International Court of Justice.
The Taipei Representative Office in the Federal Republic of Germany; (Chinese: 駐德國台北代表處; pinyin: Zhù Déguó Táiběi Dàibiǎo Chù) (German: Taipeh Vertretung in der Bundesrepublik Deutschland) represents the interests of Taiwan in Germany in the absence of formal diplomatic relations, functioning as a de facto embassy.
The NSDAP Office of Foreign Affairs (German: Außenpolitisches Amt der NSDAP, A.P.A. or APA) was a Nazi Party organization. It was set up in April 1933 in the Hotel Adlon in Berlin immediately after the Nazis' 'Machtergreifung'. It was led by Alfred Rosenberg. It was one of the central authorities for the foreign policy of Nazi Germany, alongside the Auswärtigen Amt or Foreign Office (AA) under the leadership of Neurath, the Auslandsorganisation (NSDAP/AO) of Ernst Wilhelm Bohle, the Bureau under Joachim von Ribbentrop (Dienststelle Ribbentrop) and part of the Reichsministerium für Volksaufklärung und Propaganda (RMVP) under Joseph Goebbels.
GASAG (Berliner Gaswerke Aktiengesellschaft) is the main natural gas vendor in Berlin.
The Volksdeutsche Mittelstelle or VoMi (Coordination Centre for Ethnic Germans) was an NSDAP agency founded to manage the interests of the ethnic Germans (population of German ethnicity living outside the borders of Nazi Germany).
The Ernst Schering Foundation (usually only "Schering Foundation") is a charitable non-profit foundation with headquarters in Berlin, Germany. It was established by Schering AG (now Bayer HealthCare Pharmaceuticals) in 2002. It is legally and financially independent and supports science and arts.
East Berlin was the de facto capital city of the German Democratic Republic from 1949 to 1990. Formally, it was the Soviet sector of Berlin, established in 1945. The American, British, and French sectors were known as West Berlin. From 13 August 1961 until 9 November 1989, East Berlin was separated from West Berlin by the Berlin Wall. The Western Allied powers did not recognise East Berlin as the GDR's capital, nor the GDR's authority to govern East Berlin.
Museum Island (German: Museumsinsel) is the name of the northern half of an island in the Spree river in the central Mitte district of Berlin, Germany, the site of the old city of Cölln. It is so-called for the complex of internationally significant museums, all part of the Berlin State Museums, that occupy the island's northern part:
Alt-Berlin ("Old Berlin"), also spelled Altberlin, is a neighbourhood (Stadtviertel), situated in the Berliner locality (Ortsteil) of Mitte, part of the homonymous borough. In the 13th century it was the sister town of the old Cölln, located on the northern Spree Island in the Margraviate of Brandenburg. It counts in its territory the zone of Nikolaiviertel.
Dorotheenstadt is a historic zone or neighbourhood (Stadtviertel) of central Berlin, Germany, which forms part of the locality (Ortsteil) of Mitte within the borough (Bezirk) also called Mitte. It contains several famous Berlin landmarks: the Brandenburg Gate, the Pariser Platz, and Unter den Linden.
Founded about 1200, the Nikolaiviertel (Nicholas' Quarter) of Alt-Berlin, together with the neighbouring settlement of Cölln, is the reconstructed historical heart of the German capital Berlin. It is located in Mitte locality (in the homonymous district), five minutes away from Alexanderplatz.
Oranienburger Vorstadt is a historic district of Berlin in what is now the northwestern part of Mitte and the adjacent Gesundbrunnen area, in the modern Mitte borough.
The Prussian Heritage Image Archive (German: Bildarchiv Preußischer Kulturbesitz or 'bpk') is an agency of the Prussian Cultural Heritage Foundation. The archive is housed at the Otto Nagel-Haus in Berlin, Germany and offers photographs, cartoons and drawings in the fields of history, culture and fine arts. The collection also contains the personal estates, archives and portfolios of many famous photographers who documented life in Germany. Organizationally, the archive is a division of the Berlin State Library.
The equestrian statue of Frederick the Great is an outdoor sculpture in cast bronze at the east end of Unter den Linden in Berlin, honouring King Frederick II of Prussia. Designed in 1839 by Christian Daniel Rauch and unveiled in 1851, it influenced other monuments. After having been encased in cement for protection during World War II, the statue and its base were removed by the East Germans in 1950 and re-erected in 1963 at Sanssouci in Potsdam, but returned to Unter den Linden in 1980. After German reunification the monument was moved back to its original location and restored. It is a registered monument of the City of Berlin.
The Standing Figure of Nefertiti is a limestone sculpture of Queen Nefertiti, dating from the year 1350 BC. It is in the Egyptian Museum of Berlin. The queen's depiction is typical of the early Amarna Period. She is wearing sandals and a transparent robe. The figure was found in multiple pieces in 1920 during an excavation by the German Oriental Society in the remains of the studio of Thutmose. As a Great Royal Wife, Nefertiti has a special role in the history of Ancient Egypt. For this reason various representations of her have been preserved, although complete statues are rare.
The statuette of Aphrodite known as Aphrodite Heyl in the Antikensammlung Berlin (inventory number 31272) is an especially finely worked terracotta statue from the second century BC.
The Fragment from the tomb of Nikarete from the third quarter of the fourth century BC, found near Athens is displayed today in the Antikensammlung of the Altes Museum in Berlin.
The equestrian statue of Frederick William IV is an 1875–86 sculpture of Frederick William IV of Prussia by Alexander Calandrelli, installed in front of the Alte Nationalgalerie in Berlin, Germany.
Wilhelmplatz was a square in the Mitte district of Berlin, Germany at the corner of Wilhelmstrasse and Voßstraße. The square also gave its name to a Berlin U-Bahn station which has since been renamed Mohrenstraße. A number of notable buildings were constructed around the square, including the old Reich Chancellery (former Palais Schulenburg), the building of the Ministry of Finance and the Kaiserhof grand hotel built in 1875.
The Rosa-Luxemburg-Platz (English: Rosa Luxemburg Square) is a square in Berlin-Mitte, Germany.
Schloßplatz (German for "Palace Square" or "Castle Square") is a square located on Museum Island (Museumsinsel) in Berlin, Germany. It measures about 225 m by 175 m, with its long side oriented on an axis approximately southwest/northeast. At its west corner is the Schlossbrücke (Palace Bridge), from which Unter den Linden leads west to the Brandenburg Gate. From the same corner Karl-Liebknecht-Straße runs northeast alongside the square and on to Alexanderplatz.
The Kunsthaus Tacheles (Art House Tacheles) was an art center in Berlin, Germany, a large (9,000 m2 (97,000 sq ft)) building and sculpture park on Oranienburger Straße in the district known as Mitte. Huge, colorful graffiti-style murals are painted on the exterior walls, and modern art sculptures are featured inside. The building housed an artists collective from 1990 until 2012.
The Deutsche Guggenheim was an art museum in Berlin, Germany, open from 1997 to 2013. It was located in the ground floor of the Deutsche Bank building on the Unter den Linden boulevard.
The Schiller Monument is located in central Berlin (Berlin-Mitte) on Gendarmenmarkt, in front of the flight of steps leading up to the former royal theater, today a concert hall. It honors the poet, philosopher and historian Friedrich Schiller, who is also regarded as one of the most significant dramatists and lyricists of the German language. The set of statues was executed by Reinhold Begas a prominent 19th-century German sculptor. It is a registered historic monument.
The Potsdam Gate (German: Potsdamer Tor) was one of the western gates of the Berlin Customs Wall, south of the still-standing Brandenburg Gate. It was originally constructed in 1734, and then rebuilt in 1824 as a neoclassic imposing gateway. It was one of the few gates that were left when the Customs Wall was demolished (1867–1870) but it suffered severe damage during the bombing of Berlin in World War II (1943–1945). Its remains were demolished in 1961, when the Berlin Wall was erected.
Brandenburg-Prussia (German: Brandenburg-Preußen, Low German: Brannenborg-Preußen) is the historiographic denomination for the Early Modern realm of the Brandenburgian Hohenzollerns between 1618 and 1701. Based in the Electorate of Brandenburg, the main branch of the Hohenzollern intermarried with the branch ruling the Duchy of Prussia, and secured succession upon the latter's extinction in the male line in 1618. Another consequence of the intermarriage was the incorporation of the lower Rhenish principalities of Cleves, Mark and Ravensberg after the Treaty of Xanten in 1614.
The Brandenburg Gate (German: Brandenburger Tor; [ˈbʁandn̩bʊɐ̯gɐ ˈtoːɐ̯]) is an 18th-century neoclassical monument in Berlin, built on the orders of Prussian king Frederick William II after the (temporarily) successful restoration of order during the early Batavian Revolution. One of the best-known landmarks of Germany, it was built on the site of a former city gate that marked the start of the road from Berlin to the town of Brandenburg an der Havel, which used to be capital of the Margraviate of Brandenburg.
The National Kaiser Wilhelm Monument (Kaiser-Wilhelm-Nationaldenkmal) was a memorial structure in Berlin dedicated to Wilhelm I, first Emperor of a unified Germany. It stood in front of the Stadtschloss from 1897 through 1950, when both structures were demolished by the GDR government.
The Freedom Memorial (German: Freiheitsmahnmal) was a memorial to the victims of the Berlin Wall in the vicinity of the Checkpoint Charlie Museum in Berlin. It opened on October 31, 2004, and was praised by both victims of the GDR communist regime and human rights advocates alike.
The Severan Tondo or Berlin Tondo from circa AD 200, is one of the few preserved examples of panel painting from Classical Antiquity. It depicts the Roman Emperor Septimius Severus with his family: to the left is his wife Julia Domna, and in front of them are their sons Geta (with face erased) and Caracalla. It is now part of the Antikensammlung Berlin (inventory number 31329), currently held in the Altes Museum.
The Berlin glass amphora from Olbia (German: Berliner Glasamphora aus Olbia) is a Hellenistic (= the period between 323 and 31 BC) glass vessel in the shape of an amphora, which is now kept in the Antikensammlung Berlin. Presumably the glass amphora was commissioned by a rich citizen of the city of Olbia, where it was later found, in the second half of the second century. The uniquely shaped vessel was donated to the collection, with some other glass vessels, by Friedrich Ludwig von Gans in 1912 and is now displayed in the Altes Museum with the inventory number 30219, 254. It is, to date, the largest known piece of its kind - and one of the best preserved.
The Oinochoe by the Shuvalov Painter in the Antikensammlung at Berlin (inventory number F 2414) is an erotic depiction from ancient Greek vase painting.
The Double Herm of Socrates and Seneca is an ancient Roman statue from the first half of the third century AD. The herm depicts the Greek philosopher Socrates on one side, and the Roman Stoic Seneca the Younger on the other. It currently belongs to the Antikensammlung Berlin, found in the Altes Museum.
The Grave relief of Publius Aiedius and Aiedia is an ancient Roman grave relief from the first half of the first century, now kept in the Pergamonmuseum / Antikensammlung Berlin, with Inventory number SK 840 (R 7).
The Attic Grave relief of Thraseas and Euandria from the middle of the fourth century BC is kept in the Pergamonmuseum and belongs to the Antikensammlung Berlin.
The Neck Amphora by Exekias ia a neck amphora in the black figure style by the Attic vase painter and potter Exekias. It is found in the possession of the Antikensammlung Berlin under the inventory number F 1720 and is on display in the Altes Museum. It depicts Herakles' battle with the Nemean lion on one side and the sons of Theseus on the other (their earliest appearance in Athenian art). The amphora could only be restored for the first time almost a hundred and fifty years after its original discovery due to negligence and political difficulties.
The Sam'al lions are four lion-shaped statues which are currently located in the Vorderasiatisches Museum Berlin (Pergamon Museum).
Memoria Urbana Berlin (also known as Reconstruction Bohemian Bethlehem Church) is a public sculpture by Spanish artist Juan Garaizabal that stands in the middle of the Bethlehemkirchplatz, Mitte district, Berlin, Germany. It was constructed in June 2012 on the mosaic marking the exact site and size of the original Bohemian or Bethlehem Church (German: Böhmische Kirche, Bethlehemskirche), which was destroyed in the war. The sculpture is made up of 800 meters (2,600 feet) of square section (12x12 cm/4.7 in) steel tube and 300 meters (984 feet) of LED illumination system. Its structure draws in the air the lines of the silhouette of the lost construction, recreating its volume in the form of a sketch. It measures 25 x 15 x 31 metres (82 x 49 x 101 feet) in height and weighs 44 short tons (40 metric tons).
Trains to Life – Trains to Death is an outdoor bronze sculpture by architect and sculptor Frank Meisler, installed outside the Friedrichstraße station at the intersection of Georgenstraße and Friedrichstraße, in Berlin, Germany.
The Dorotheenstadt Cemetery, officially the "Cemetery of the Dorotheenstadt and Friedrichswerder Parishes", is a landmarked Protestant burial ground located in the Berlin district of Mitte which dates to the late 18th century. The entrance to the 1.7-hectare (4.2-acre) plot is at 126 Chaussee Straße (next door to the Brecht House, where Bertolt Brecht and Helene Weigel spent their last years, at 125 Chaussee Straße). It is also directly adjacent to the French cemetery (also known as the cemetery of the Huguenots), established in 1780, and is sometimes confused with it.
The Parliament of Trees (also known as The Parliament of Trees against war and violence) is a memorial for the death victims of the Berlin Wall, which was installed on 9 November 1990 by performance artist Ben Wagin.
Tunnel 57 was a tunnel under the Berlin Wall that on the third and fourth October 1964 was the location of a mass escape by 57 East Berlin citizens. Student and future astronaut Reinhard Furrer was among the West German escape helpers who assisted the East Berliners in escaping. During the escape, East German border guards came upon the scene. A West German escape helper, Christian Zobel, opened fire, the bullet piercing the shoulder of young East German guard Egon Schultz, who was then fatally wounded by friendly fire from another guard. This friendly fire was kept secret by the GDR government. A memorial plaque on the site today commemorates both the successful escape, and Schultz's death as a victim of the Berlin Wall.
The Karl-Liebknecht-Haus or Karl Liebknecht House is the headquarters of the Party The Left in Germany. It is located between the Alexanderplatz and Rosa-Luxemburg-Platz in Berlin-Mitte.
The Embassy of the Netherlands in Berlin (Dutch: Nederlandse ambassade te Berlijn, German: Niederländische Botschaft in Deutschland) is the Netherlands's diplomatic mission in Berlin, Germany. Designed by Rem Koolhaas of OMA, the building was opened in 2004.
The Embassy of the United States of America in Berlin is the diplomatic mission of the United States of America in the Federal Republic of Germany. The U.S. Embassy in Germany has not always been in Berlin, with the current complex opening in July 2008.
The French (Reformed) Church of Friedrichstadt (French: Temple de la Friedrichstadt, German: Französische Friedrichstadtkirche, and commonly known as Französischer Dom, meaning "French Cathedral") is located in Berlin at the Gendarmenmarkt, across the Konzerthaus and the German Cathedral. The earliest parts of the church date back to 1701, although it was subsequently expanded. After being heavily damaged during World War II, the church was rebuilt and continues to offer church services and concerts.
Trinity Church (Dreifaltigkeitskirche) was a Baroque Protestant church in Berlin, eastern Germany, dedicated to the Holy Trinity. It was opened in August 1739 and destroyed in November 1943, with its rubble removed in 1947.
The Franziskaner-Klosterkirche was a church in the Mitte district of Berlin, founded in 1250 and now in ruins.
The Luisenstädtische Kirche was a church building in Berlin, in the former Luisenstadt district (now part of the Berlin-Mitte and Friedrichshain-Kreuzberg districts), on Alte Jacobstraße between Sebastianstraße and Stallschreiberstraße. It was originally known as the Kirche in der Cöpenicker Vorstadt (church in the Köpenick suburb), then from 1785 to 1795 as the Köllnische Vorstadtkirche (Cöllnian suburb church), then from 1795 to 1837 as the Sebastiankirche, after presbyter and city-councillor Sebastian Nethe, taking its final name in 1837.
The House of One is a religious structure being built in Berlin. It will be the world's first house of prayer for three religions, containing a church, a mosque, and a synagogue.
Hochschule für die Wissenschaft des Judentums, or Higher Institute for Jewish Studies, was a rabbinical seminary, established in Berlin in 1872 and closed down by the Nazi government of Germany in 1942. Upon the order of the government, the name was officially changed (1883–1923 and 1933–42) to Lehranstalt für die Wissenschaft des Judentums.
The Hildesheimer Rabbinical Seminary (officially in German: Rabbinerseminar für das orthodoxe Judenthum in Berlin until 1880, thereafter Rabbiner-Seminar zu Berlin; in Hebrew: בית המדרש לרבנים בברלין, Bet ha-midrash le-Rabanim be-Berlin) was founded in Berlin on 22 October 1873 by Rabbi Dr. Israel Hildesheimer for the training of rabbis in the tradition of Orthodox Judaism.
The AquaDom in Berlin, Germany, is a 25 m (82 ft) tall cylindrical acrylic glass aquarium with built-in transparent elevator. It is located inside the Radisson Blu Hotel in the DomAquarée complex at Karl-Liebknecht-Straße in Berlin-Mitte. The DomAquarée complex also contains offices, a museum, a restaurant, and the aquarium Berlin Sea Life Centre.
Luisenstadt is a former quarter (Stadtteil) of central Berlin, now divided between the present localities of Mitte and Kreuzberg. It gave its name to the Luisenstadt Canal and the Luisenstädtische Kirche.
The Checkpoint Charlie Museum (German: Das Mauermuseum – Museum Haus am Checkpoint Charlie) is a private museum in Berlin. It is named after the famous crossing point on the Berlin Wall, and was created to document the so-called "best border security system in the world" (in the words of East German general Heinz Hoffmann). On display are the photos and related documents of successful escape attempts from East Germany, together with the escape apparatus: hot-air balloons, getaway cars, chairlifts, and a mini-U-Boat. The museum researches and maintains a list of deaths at the Berlin Wall. It is operated by the Arbeitsgemeinschaft 13. August (August 13th Working Group), and the director is Alexandra Hildebrandt.
Friedrichstadt (German pronunciation ) was an independent suburb of Berlin, and is now a historical neighbourhood of the city itself. The neighbourhood is named after the Prussian king Frederick I.
The Greater Berlin Act (German: Groß-Berlin-Gesetz), in full the Law Regarding the Creation of the New Municipality of Berlin (German: Gesetz über die Bildung einer neuen Stadtgemeinde Berlin), was a law passed by the Prussian government in 1920 that greatly expanded the size of the German capital of Berlin.
The Egyptian Museum of Berlin (German: Ägyptisches Museum und Papyrussammlung) is home to one of the world's most important collections of Ancient Egyptian artifacts, including the iconic Nefertiti Bust. Since October 2009, the collection is part of the reopened Neues Museum on Berlin's Museum Island.
The Antikensammlung Berlin (Berlin antiquities collection) is one of the most important collections of classical art in the world, now held in the Altes Museum and Pergamon Museum in Berlin, Germany. It contains thousands of ancient archaeological artefacts from the ancient Greek, Roman, Etruscan and Cypriot civilizations. Its main attraction is the Pergamon Altar and Greek and Roman architectural elements from Priene, Magnesia, Baalbek and Falerii. In addition, the collection includes a large number of ancient sculptures, vases, terracottas, bronzes, sarcophagi, engraved gems and metalwork.
The Museum für Vor- und Frühgeschichte ("Museum for prehistory and early history"), part of the Berlin State Museums, is one of major archaeological museums of Germany, and among the largest supra-regional collections of prehistoric finds in Europe. It was previously located in the former theatre building by Carl Ferdinand Langhans, next to Schloss Charlottenburg, and encompasses six exhibition halls on three floors. Since October 2009, the museum's exhibitions are now displayed in the Neues Museum on Museum Island.
The Prussian Staff College, also Prussian War College (German: Preußische Kriegsakademie) was the highest military facility of the Kingdom of Prussia to educate, train, and develop general staff officers.
The Evangelisches Gymnasium zum Grauen Kloster, located in suburban Schmargendorf, Berlin, is an independent school with a humanistic profile, known as one of the most prestigious schools in Germany. Founded by the Evangelical Church in West Berlin in 1949 as the Evangelisches Gymnasium, it continues the traditions of the ancient Berlinisches Gymnasium zum Grauen Kloster, the oldest Gymnasium in Berlin, which for hundreds of years was situated in former monastery buildings in the city's Mitte district, closed by the East Germans in 1958. In 1963 the Evangelisches Gymnasium of West Berlin adopted its traditions and added "zum Grauen Kloster" to its name.
The Humboldt-Viadrina School of Governance was a higher education school in Berlin, Germany from 2003 to 2014, established through a unique partnership between two public universities: Viadrina European University in Frankfurt (Oder) and the Humboldt University of Berlin, one of Berlin's oldest universities. Dr. Gesine Schwan, a two-time presidential nominee of the Social Democratic Party of Germany (SPD) was the founder and president of the school. The School aimed to be a forum that contributes to the development of intelligent solutions for current social problems.
The Pergamon Altar is a monumental construction built during the reign of king Eumenes II in the first half of the 2nd century BC on one of the terraces of the acropolis of the ancient Greek city of Pergamon in Asia Minor.
The Weimar Republic (German: Weimarer Republik [ˈvaɪmaʁɐ ʁepuˈbliːk] (listen)) is an unofficial historical designation for the German state from 1918 to 1933. The name derives from the city of Weimar, where its constitutional assembly first took place. The official name of the republic remained Deutsches Reich unchanged from 1871, because of the German tradition of substates. Although commonly translated as "German Empire", the word Reich here better translates as "realm", in that the term does not have monarchical connotations in itself. The Reich was changed from a constitutional monarchy into a republic. In English, the country was usually known simply as Germany.
The North German Confederation (German: Norddeutscher Bund) was the German federal state which existed from July 1867 to December 1870. It was said to be led by Prussia. Some historians also use the name for the alliance of 22 German states formed on 18 August 1866 (Augustbündnis). In 1870–1871, the south German states of Baden, Hesse-Darmstadt, Württemberg and Bavaria joined the country. On 1 January 1871, the country adopted a new constitution, which was written under the title of a new "German Confederation" but already gave it the name "German Empire" in the preamble and article 11.
The Vorderasiatisches Museum (German: [ˈfɔʁdɐ.ʔaˌzi̯atɪʃəs muˈzeːʊm], Near East Museum) is an archaeological museum in Berlin. It is in the basement of the south wing of the Pergamon Museum and has one of the world's largest collections of Southwest Asian art. 14 halls distributed across 2,000 square meters of exhibition surface display southwest Asian culture spanning six millennia. The exhibits cover a period from the 6th millennium BCE into the time of the Muslim conquests. They originate particularly from today's states of Iraq, Syria and Turkey, with singular finds also from other areas. Starting with the Neolithic finds, the emphasis of the collection is of finds from Sumer, Babylonia and Assyria, as well as northern Syria and eastern Anatolia.
The Ramones Museum is a museum dedicated to the American punk rock band the Ramones, located in the Kreuzberg borough of Berlin, Germany. While the Ramones are most closely associated with their hometown of New York City, bassist Dee Dee Ramone grew up in Berlin, and the city, and Germany as a whole, was mentioned in numerous Ramones songs.
The Kennedys (German: Das Museum The Kennedys) is a private museum in Berlin, Germany. It is located at Auguststraße 11-13 and displays documents from the lives of the Kennedy family.
The Market Gate of Miletus (German: das Markttor von Milet) is a large marble monument in the Pergamon Museum in Berlin, Germany. It was built in Miletus in the 2nd century AD and destroyed in an earthquake in the 10th or 11th century. In the early 1900s, it was excavated by a German archeological team, rebuilt, and placed on display in the museum in Berlin. Only fragments had survived and reconstruction involved significant new material, a practice which generated criticism of the museum. The gate was damaged in World War II and underwent restoration in the 1950s. Further restoration work took place in the first decade of the 21st century.
The Mendelssohn Palace (German: Mendelssohn-Palais) is a Neoclassical-style building in Berlin-Mitte. Designed by the architects Martin Gropius and Heino Schmieden, the palace was completed in 1893. The building functioned as a residence- and bank building for the Mendelssohn family. Partly destroyed in World War II, the undamaged remnant of the palace is currently seat of a business company.
The Jewel Palace (German: Juwel-Palais) is a Neo-Gothic-style building in Berlin-Mitte. Designed by the architects Max Jacob and Georg Roensch, the palace was completed in 1898. The name of the building derives from its former function as a trading house, specialized in gold. Surviving World War II without considerable damages, several offices began to house in the Jewel Palace. After the German reunification the palace was essentially renovated.
The Barenboim–Said Akademie (German: Barenboim-Said Akademie, Arabic: أكاديمية بارنبويم-سعيد, Hebrew: אקדמיה בארנבוים-סעיד) is an academy located in Berlin, Germany, offering Bachelor degrees and Artist Diploma certificates in music; it opened on December 8, 2016. Inspired by its eponymous co-founders, the conductor and pianist Daniel Barenboim and the literary theorist and intellectual Edward Said, the academy was financed to a capacity of 90 young musicians, with an admissions focus on the Middle East and North Africa, in the spirit of the West–Eastern Divan Orchestra. Through their joint education and music-making, students will be given the cognitive competence and critical understanding to become exemplary artists and contribute to the future of civil societies in their countries of origin.
The Academy of Arts (German: Akademie der Künste) is a state arts institution in Berlin, Germany. The task of the Academy is to promote art, as well as to advise and support the states of Germany.
The Union of German Academies of Sciences and Humanities (German: Union der deutschen Akademien der Wissenschaften) is an umbrella organisation for eight German academies of sciences and humanities.
The Lessing Theater was a theatre in the Mitte district of Berlin, Germany. It opened in 1888 and was destroyed in April 1945 in a bombing raid; its ruins were demolished after World War II.
Überbrettl (German pronunciation: [ˈʔyːbɐˌbʁɛtl̩] super-cabaret) was the first venue in Germany for literary cabaret, or Kabarett, founded 1901 in Berlin by Ernst von Wolzogen. The German Kabarett concept was imported from French venues like Le Chat Noir in Paris, from which it kept the characteristic atmosphere of intimacy. But the German type developed its own peculiarities, most prominently its characteristic gallows humour.
The Theater am Schiffbauerdamm (German pronunciation: [teˈaːtɐ am ˈʃɪfbaʊɐˌdam]) is a theatre building at the Schiffbauerdamm riverside in the Mitte district of Berlin, Germany, opened on November 19, 1892. Since 1954 it has been home to the Berliner Ensemble theatre company, founded in 1949 by Helene Weigel and Bertolt Brecht.
The Georgenhospital was a leper hospital established in Berlin in the thirteenth century. It was built outside the city, in Oderberg
The Französisches Komödienhaus or French Comedy House, was a theater in Berlin, active between 1774 to 1801. It was the first permanent
The Reich Ministry of Food and Agriculture (German: Reichsministerium für Ernährung und Landwirtschaft, abbreviated RMEL) was responsible for agricultural policy of Germany during the Weimar Republic from 1919 to 1933 and during the Third Reich from 1933 to 1945. It was under the office of the Secretary of State. On 1 January 1935, the ministry was merged with the Prussian Ministry of Agriculture, Domains and Forestry, founded in 1879. In 1938 it was renamed "Reich and Prussian Ministry of Food and Agriculture". After the end of National Socialism in 1945 and the occupation, the Federal Ministry of Food and Agriculture was established in 1949 as a successor in the western Federal Republic of Germany.
Feuerland was a popular 19th-century designation for the industrial nucleus of Berlin. It was located in the historic Oranienburger Vorstadt section of Berlin in today’s district Berlin-Mitte. The word literally means “land of fire”, but it is also a play on words as "Feuerland" is the German name for another geographical location, namely Tierra del Fuego.
Saint Michael's (German: Sankt-Michael-Kirche) is a former Roman Catholic parish in Berlin, Germany, dedicated to the Archangel Michael. It is noted for its historic church in Mitte (former Luisenstadt), near the border between Berlin-Mitte locality and Kreuzberg. The church was built between 1851 and 1861, and also served as a garrison church for Catholic soldiers. It was heavily damaged by bombing during the Second World War and partially reconstructed in the 1950s. It is protected as a historical monument in Berlin.
Stadion der Weltjugend was a multi-use stadium in the Mitte district of Berlin, Germany. It was opened on May 20, 1950 under the name of Walter-Ulbricht-Stadion for the first Deutschlandtreffen (German Festival) of the Free German Youth.
Techno Viking is an internet phenomenon or meme based on a video from the 2000 Fuckparade in Berlin, Germany.
Tresor (German for safe or vault) is an underground techno nightclub in Berlin and a record label.
The Großgaststätte Ahornblatt (German: [ˈɡʁoːsˌɡastʃtɛtə ˈaːhɔʁnˌblat], Great Maple Leaf Restaurant) was a building located in the Mitte district of Berlin. Built between 1971 and 1973 as part of the new Fischerinsel residential condominium project, it accommodated a self service restaurant with 880 seats and a shopping arcade for the employees of the East German Ministry of Construction and for the workers of other nearby offices. Despite protests, the building was demolished in 2000.
Stadtmitte (City Centre) is a Berlin U-Bahn station located on the U 2 and the U 6 in the Mitte district.
Museumsinsel is a subway station under construction in Berlin's Mitte district. It is part of the extension of the subway line from Alexanderplatz to Brandenburger Tor, with ground broken in 2010. Both should be opened simultaneously in 2020.
Unter den Linden is a U-Bahn station under construction in the central Mitte district of Berlin, at the intersection of the Unter den Linden boulevard and Friedrichstraße. It will be an interchange station between the extended U5 and U6 U-Bahn lines.
Rotes Rathaus is a subway station under construction in Berlin's Mitte district. It is part of the extension of the from Alexanderplatz to Brandenburger Tor, with their construction in 2010 (the first cut of the spade) was started. Both should be opened simultaneously in 2020.
The Berlin Palace (German: Berliner Schloss or Stadtschloss), also known as the Berlin City Palace, is a building in the centre of Berlin, located on the Museum Island at Schlossplatz, opposite the Lustgarten park. It was a royal and imperial palace and served mostly as the main residence of the Electors of Brandenburg, the Kings of Prussia and the German Emperors. Demolished by the government of East Germany during the 1950s, the palace is currently being rebuilt, with completion expected in 2019. The reconstructed palace will be the seat of the Humboldt Forum, a museum for world culture which is a successor museum of the Ancient Prussian Art Chamber, which was also located in the Berlin Palace. The Humboldt Forum has been described as the German equivalent of the British Museum.
Hotel Kaiserhof was a luxury hotel in Wilhelmplatz, Berlin, Germany. It opened in October 1875. It was located next to the Reich Chancellery in what was at the time the city's "government quarter".
Palasthotel is a hotel that belonged to the Interhotel-chain and situated in the Mitte-district of Berlin, at Karl-Liebknecht-Straße 5, right behind the Berliner Dom and close to the river Spree. It was built on a design by Ferenc Kiss between 1976 and 1979. The hotel had 600 rooms with 1,000 beds and a conference hall with about 2,000 seats. It was closed for all East German guests, as one had to pay in a hard currency instead of the local East German mark. Between 1990 and 1992 the hotel was owned by Interhotel AG. In 1992, the hotel was renamed the Radisson SAS Berlin. It closed on December 1, 2000 due to the Asbestos that was used in the construction. It was demolished to make room for the new DomAquarée, which houses a hotel of the Radisson Blu group and was opened in 2003.
Hotel Bristol was a hotel on Unter den Linden in Berlin, Germany. It was designed by architect Gustav Georg Carl Gause and opened in 1891.
Monbijou Palace was a Rococo palace in central Berlin located in the present-day Monbijou Park on the north bank of the Spree river across from today's Bode Museum and within sight of the Hohenzollern city palace. Heavily damaged in World War II, the ruins were finally razed by the communist authorities of East Berlin in 1959. The palace has not been rebuilt.
The DZ Bank building (formerly DG Bank building) is an office, conference, and residential building located at Pariser Platz 3 in Berlin. It was designed by architect Frank Gehry and engineered by Hans Schober of Schlaich Bergermann & Partner. Construction began in 1998 and was completed in 2000.
The Palais Strousberg was a large city mansion built in Berlin, Germany for the railway magnate Bethel Henry Strousberg. It was designed by the architect August Orth and built between 1867–68 at No.70 Wilhelmstraße. The grandiose splendour of its accommodation and novel integration of the latest building technologies into the fabric of the building, ensured that Berliners would still find the Palais impressive decades after its construction, becoming the model of refined luxury in Berlin architecture.
The Prinz-Albrecht-Palais was a Rococo city palace in the historic Friedrichstadt suburb of Berlin, Germany. It was located on Wilhelmstrasse 102 in the present-day Kreuzberg district, in the vicinity of Potsdamer Platz.