KPJC (1220 AM, "JC Talk") is a radio station licensed to serve Salem, Oregon, United States. The station is owned by The JC Media Group and the broadcast license is held by KCCS, LLC.
The Oregon School for the Blind (OSB), was a state-run public school in Salem, Oregon, United States, serving blind and vision impaired students of kindergarten through high school grades through residential, day school, and part-time enrollment programs. Opened in 1873, the school was operated by the Oregon Department of Education. The school's closure in 2009 had been the culmination of several years of contentious debate that continued after the closure when lawsuits were filed concerning the sale of the campus.
USGS GNIS ID: 1166794
Oregon Business Development Department is an agency of the government of the U.S. state of Oregon,also known as Business Oregon, providing support of economic and community development and cultural enhancement through administration of a variety of programs of incentives, financial support, and technical assistance to businesses, nonprofit organizations and community groups, industries, and local and regional governments and districts.
Hillcrest Youth Correctional Facility is a state-run juvenile correctional facility located in Salem, Oregon, United States. Hillcrest is run by the Oregon Youth Authority (OYA), Oregon's juvenile corrections agency.
Jason Lee, also known as Reverend Jason Lee, is an outdoor bronze sculpture of Jason Lee, located in Salem, Oregon, United States. It was designed by Alexander Phimister Proctor, who died in 1950 when only the work's model was finished. His son Gifford MacGregor Proctor completed the sculpture between 1950 and 1953. The one installed on the grounds of the Oregon State Capitol is a duplicate of a bronze statue unveiled in the United States Capitol in 1952.
The Capitol Theater was located at 542 State Street in Salem, Oregon, United States. Part of the Bligh Building, it was built in the 1920s for vaudeville. During its heyday, it housed a Wurlitzer pipe organ, which is now in private ownership in Washington. The theater was demolished in 2000, but the retail portion of the building, now known as the Pacific Building, still stands.
Shelton Ditch is an artificial canal in Marion County, Oregon, United States. Built in the mid-19th century, it originates from Mill Creek east of Airport Road in Salem, passes through a corner of the Salem main Post Office property, and along the southern edge of downtown Salem. Shelton Ditch passes by the north side of Pringle Park before emptying into Pringle Creek. After the Mill Race joins Pringle Creek near Salem's city hall, Pringle Creek passes under the Boise Cascade building and empties into the Willamette River next to Riverfront Park across from Minto-Brown Island Park.
Covered Wagon, also known as Oregon Trail Immigrants Memorial and Pioneer Family, is an outdoor 1934 white marble sculpture by Leo Friedlander installed outside the Oregon State Capitol in Salem, Oregon, United States.
The L. B. Day Amphitheatre (formerly the L. B. Day Comcast Amphitheatre) is an outdoor concert venue in Salem, Oregon, United States, within the Oregon State Fairgrounds. It was completed in 1987 with 9,000 seats, and named for L. B. Day, an Oregon State Senator and longtime supporter of the State Fair. In 1991, the venue was expanded to 14,000 seats to make it the largest arena of its type in Oregon at that time. The amphitheatre serves as the main stage when the State Fair is held in late August through Labor Day, and also hosts concerts at other times of the year. Bands and performers that have played at the venue include ZZ Top, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Cinderella, Queensrÿche, Heart, Ted Nugent, Charley Pride, and Ricky Skaggs. In 2005, the Oregon State Fair chose not to book national acts on the amphitheatre stage. Since 2013 major national acts have returned to the L. B. Day Amphitheatre.
Over the Top to Victory, also known as Doughboy Statue and Their Country's Call Answered, is an outdoor bronze sculpture by John Paulding, formerly located at the Marion County Courthouse in Salem, Oregon, United States. The statue was commissioned by the American War Mothers and the Gold Star Mothers Club to commemorate the 87 men and one woman from Marion County who died in World War I.
Jane Goodall Environmental Middle School (JGEMS) is a public charter school serving grades six through eight that focuses on environmental science and community service. It is housed in the same building as the Oregon School for the Deaf in Salem, Oregon, and is named after English primatologist Jane Goodall. It is part of the Salem-Keizer School District.
Faye Wright is a neighborhood in Salem, Oregon, United States, located in the southeast part of the city.The neighborhood is bordered on the east by Commercial Street SE, on the west by Liberty Road S, and on the south by Kuebler Boulevard SE.
Walling Pond is a privately owned pond that is open to the public for fishing. The pond, located in Salem, Oregon, is owned by the Walling family. The pond is located at the original site of their sand and gravel processing plant at the northeast corner of McGilchrist and 16th Streets, S.E. The pond is popular with bait anglers and produces stocked rainbow trout.
Lake Allison was a temporary lake in the Willamette Valley of Oregon, formed periodically by the Missoula Floods from 15,000 to 13,000 BC. The lake is the main cause for the rich and fertile soil that Willamette Valley is now recognized for.
The Jones–Sherman House is a historic Bungalow/Craftsman style house built in 1913 in Salem, Oregon, United States. It was built from a pattern book by Lindstrom & Almars by owner Ralph R. Jones.
NRHP reference number: 81000508
Lansing is a neighborhood in Salem, Oregon, United States, located in the northeast part of the city. The neighborhood is bordered on the north by Silverton Road, on the south by Market Street, on the east by Hawthorne Avenue, and on the west by Evergreen Avenue.
The Oregon State Hospital Historic District is a National Historic District in Salem, Oregon, United States. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places on February 28, 2008, and encompasses many of the buildings of the present-day Oregon State Hospital. The district is roughly bounded by D Street, Park Avenue, 24th Street and Bates Drive and includes the main hospital building as well as the headquarters of the Oregon Department of Corrections, known as the Dome Building, across the street.
NRHP reference number: 08000118
Pringle Creek is a small tributary of the Willamette River that drains a 15-square-mile (39 km2) area of Marion County in the U.S. state of Oregon. The entire watershed lies within the urban growth boundary of the City of Salem. Pringle Creek's tributaries include Clark Creek, West Fork Pringle Creek, West Middle Fork and East Fork.
USGS GNIS ID: 1163213
Northgate is a neighborhood in Salem, Oregon, United States, located in the far north part of the city. It is one of Salem's larger districts and much of it is industrial rather than residential. Northgate has a neighborhood association, one of the nineteen such groups in Salem.
The Union Street Railroad Bridge is a vertical lift, Pratt through truss bridge that spans the Willamette River in Salem, Oregon, United States, built in 1912–13. It was last used by trains in the early 1990s and was sold for one dollar in 2003 to the City of Salem, which converted it to bicycle and pedestrian use in 2008–2009. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2006.
NRHP reference number: 05001520
The Department of Education of the U.S. state of Oregon is responsible for implementing the state's public education policies, including academic standards and testing, credentials, and other matters not reserved to the local districts and boards. The department is overseen by the Governor, acting as State Superintendent of Public Instruction. Agencies of the department include the Chief Education Office (formerly the Oregon Education Investment Board), the Early Learning Division, the Higher Education Coordinating Commission, the State Board of Education, and the Youth Development Division.
The Marion County Housing Committee Demonstration House on Wilson St., S., in Salem, Oregon is a small house from c. 1860 that was renovated extensively in 1934–35. It has also been known as the William Beckett House, named for the person believed to be the original owner in the 1860s. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1988. It is a work of architects Clarence L. Smith and Frank S. Strubble.
NRHP reference number: 88001243
Mill Creek Correctional Facility is a minimum-security prison in the southeast part of Salem, Oregon, United States. It is five miles southeast of downtown Salem near Turner. It is run by the Oregon Department of Corrections (DOC). It is also a working farm.
Oregon State Correctional Institution (OSCI) is a 33-acre (130,000 m2) medium security prison located in Salem, Oregon, United States and is operated by the Oregon Department of Corrections. Established by an act of the Oregon State Legislature in 1955, the prison opened in 1959 and has a capacity of 880 male inmates.
Tom McCall Memorial is an outdoor bronze sculpture of former Oregon Governor Tom McCall by Rip Caswell, located in Salem, Oregon, in the United States. The 20-foot (6.1 m) tall portrait statue, which depicts McCall wading through the Umpqua River with a fly rod and a steelhead fish, was commissioned by the Tom McCall Memorial Committee. It was installed along the Willamette River in Riverfront Park, dedicated on September 26, 2008 at a ceremony attended by Governor Ted Kulongoski.
The Oregon Supreme Court (OSC) is the highest state court in the U.S. state of Oregon. The only court that may reverse or modify a decision of the Oregon Supreme Court is the Supreme Court of the United States. The OSC holds court at the Oregon Supreme Court Building in Salem, Oregon, near the capitol building on State Street. The building was finished in 1914 and also houses the state's law library, while the courtroom is also used by the Oregon Court of Appeals.
The Prewitt-Allen Archeological Museum is a small archaeology museum at Corban University in Salem, Oregon, United States. Founded in the 1950s, the museum is located in the school’s library on the rural campus. Artifacts and replicas come mainly from the Eastern Mediterranean and include replicas of the Rosetta Stone and the Code of Hammurabi, alongside a collection of ancient oil lamps and an internationally known papyrus palimpsest. The free museum has over 900 items in its collections.
Willamette University School of Education was a master's degree-granting program at Willamette University in Salem, Oregon, United States. Established in 1988, the school offered a master of arts in teaching degree and runs the Center for Excellence in Teaching program, or CET. The school closed in May 2014.
The Fairview Training Center was a state-run facility for people with developmental disabilities in Salem, Oregon, United States. Fairview was established in 1907 as the State Institution for the Feeble-Minded. The hospital opened on December 1, 1908 with 39 patients transferred from the Oregon State Hospital for the Insane. Before its closure in 2000, Fairview was administered by the Oregon Department of Human Services (DHS). DHS continued to operate the Eastern Oregon Training Center in Pendleton until October 2009.
Deepwood Museum & Garden, formerly known as Historic Deepwood Estate, or simply Deepwood, is a historic house in Salem, Oregon, United States. The home was built by Dr. Luke A. Port, with construction beginning in 1893, and completed in 1894. The historic house and property have been managed since 1974 by the non-profit Friends of Deepwood, and is owned by the City of Salem.
NRHP reference number: 73001581
KBZY (1490 AM) is a radio station licensed to serve Salem, Oregon, United States. The station, established in 1957, has been owned by Capital Broadcasting, Inc., since 1982.
The Curtis Cross House is a historic residence in Salem, Oregon, United States. It was designed by architect Clarence L. Smith, and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1981.
NRHP reference number: 81000506
Oregon Pioneer, also known as Gold Man, is an eight-and-a-half ton bronze sculpture with gold leaf finish that sits atop the Oregon State Capitol in Salem, Oregon, United States. Created by Ulric Ellerhusen, the statue is a 22 ft (7 m)-tall hollow sculpture. The gilded piece was installed atop the building in 1938 when a new capitol was built.
Lewis and Clark, also known as the Lewis and Clark Expedition of 1804–1806 Memorial, is an outdoor 1934 white marble sculpture by Leo Friedlander installed outside the Oregon State Capitol in Salem, Oregon, United States.
The Archives Division of the Office of the Secretary of State of Oregon, or Oregon State Archives, is an agency of the Office of the Oregon Secretary of State charged with preserving and providing access to government records. It also publishes the Oregon Blue Book and Oregon Administrative Rules. The position of State Archivist was authorized by the state legislature in 1945, though not filled until 1947, and was originally a staff position within the Oregon State Library. The duties and functions of the archivist were placed under the purview of the Secretary of State in 1973, when that office was deemed the chief records officer of the state government by the legislature.
The Grand Theater is part of a complex of historic buildings in Salem, Oregon, United States that was originally owned by the fraternal organization Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and listed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) as the Chemeketa Lodge No. 1, Odd Fellows Buildings. The theater building is also known as the I.O.O.F. Temple.
NRHP reference number: 88000275
The Living Tongues Institute for Endangered Languages (LTIEL) is a nonprofit 501 (c)(3) organization based in Salem, Oregon, United States. The institute's focus is to scientifically document endangered languages, as well as assist communities with maintaining and revitalizing knowledge of their native languages. The institute's founder and director is Dr. Gregory D. S. Anderson. The institute's Director of Research is Dr. K. David Harrison.
South Central is a neighborhood in Salem, Oregon, United States, located just south of downtown. Major neighborhood features include Bush's Pasture Park, the Asahel Bush House and Museum, Deepwood Estate, Gaiety Hill-Bush's Pasture Park Historic District, South Salem High School, and Mahonia Hall, the official residence of the Governor of Oregon.