The Boston Store is a former department store located on State Street in downtown Erie in the U.S. state of Pennsylvania. The store itself was founded in 1885, with the building being constructed in 1929. At its peak, two other Boston Stores were opened, in addition to the downtown store. The Boston Store was closed in 1979. The building remained abandoned until 1988, when it was renovated into a combination apartment and commercial building, and was renamed Boston Store Place. The Boston Store was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1996.
NRHP reference number: 96001194
The Erie City School District is the school district that serves Erie, Pennsylvania in the United States. It is a member of the Northwest Tri-County IU 5.
Erie Playhouse is a historic theatre located in Erie, Pennsylvania.
Street address: 13 W. 10th Street, Erie, PA 16501 (from Wikidata)
Mercyhurst University, formerly Mercyhurst College, is an American Catholic liberal arts college in Erie, Pennsylvania.
Street address: 501 E 38th St, Erie, PA, 16546 (from Wikidata)
John Hill House is a historic home located in Erie, Erie County, Pennsylvania. The original section was built about 1836, with the south and east wings added during the 1850s. A two-story brick coach house and servants quarters was added to the property after 1891, and the original house connected to the main dwelling with the expansion of the rear ell. The main dwelling is in a transitional Greek Revival / Italian Villa "picturesque" style. It features round-headed and hooded windows, prominent brackets, balconies, porches, and window bays. It is faced with scored poured concrete and clapboard and topped with a gable roof.
NRHP reference number: 79002224
The Pennsylvania Governor's School for the Arts (PGSA) was one of the Pennsylvania Governor's Schools of Excellence, a group of five-week summer academies for gifted high school students in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. The school was hosted each summer first by Bucknell University, then by Mercyhurst College. PGSA was defunded by Pennsylvania's 2009–2010 state budget.
Northwestern Pennsylvania is a region in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, containing 10 counties. The city of Erie is the business center and cultural hub of the region. The compiled population of the region was estimated to be 938,516 in 2015. Although the only county with population growth was Butler, the deficit for all other counties was within 3%. The region also includes the Erie-Meadville, PA Combined Statistical Area.
Villa Maria Academy are two connected historic school buildings located at Erie, Erie County, Pennsylvania. It was built in 1892, with additions and alterations in 1904 and 1927. The original building, known as the motherhouse, is a 2 1/2-story, red brick building with terra cotta trim in the High Victorian Gothic style. It features a cross gable roof with dormers and two conical roof turrets. The 3 1/2-story addition was completed in 1904. It is in the Gothic style and features parapet walls, a second story projecting bay, terra cotta decoration, and a hipped roof with dormers. Gannon Hall was built in 1927 and is connected to the original academy building by a two-story bridge. It is a 3 1/2-story, gable roofed building in the Late Gothic Revival style. The brick building features stepped gable dormers and the College Chapel section with stained glass windows, conical roof tower, and pointed buttresses. The College Chapel, also known as Villa Chapel, was added to Preservation Pennsylvania At Risk List in 2011.
NRHP reference number: 96001193
WICU-FM (92.7 FM) is a contemporary hit radio-formatted radio station in Erie, Pennsylvania, licensed to Erie, Pennsylvania, under the ownership of SJL Broadcasting (a sister company to Lilly Broadcasting). It uses the moniker "Happi 927". WICU-FM is simulcast in Warren on Lilly-owned WICU (1310 AM and 96.7 FM).
The Hammermill Center, formerly Gannon Auditorium, is a 2,800 seat basketball arena home to the Gannon Golden Knights located on the campus of Gannon University in Erie, Pennsylvania. The Hammermill center is also home to Gannon's wrestling team.
Old Customshouse is a historic custom house located at Erie, Erie County, Pennsylvania. It was built in 1838–1839, and is a two-story, brick and Vermont marble rectangular building. The front facade features a pedimented portico with six two-story, Doric order columns in the Greek Revival style. The building housed the post office until 1867, served as the Customs House for the port of Erie from 1849 to 1888, and later housed a Grand Army of the Republic post and the Erie County Historical Society. It is now part of a five building complex of the Erie Art Museum.
NRHP reference number: 72001122
The Cashier's House is a three-story stuccoed-brick, Greek Revival building located on State Street in Erie, Pennsylvania. It was documented by the Historic American Buildings Survey in 1934. The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on January 13, 1972, and its boundary was increased on March 9, 1983.
NRHP reference number: 72001121
Jackson Koehler Eagle Brewery was a historic brewery complex located at Erie, Erie County, Pennsylvania. The original section constructed in 1891 consisted of the brewhouse with grain tower, racking room, filter room, and keg wash room. Later additions include the storage cellar, keg receiving and storage rooms (1933, later demolished), and rathskeller (1936). The complex was constructed of brick, with Germanesque-Teutonic-style influences. A brewery was sited here as early as 1855. It was originally begun by Joseph Kalvelage SR.The Eagle Brewery merged into the Erie Brewing Company in 1899. The Erie Brewing Company closed in 1978. It was demolished in 2006.
NRHP reference number: 82003785
Lovell Manufacturing Company, also known as Lovell Place, is a historic factory complex and national historic district located at Erie, Erie County, Pennsylvania. It includes 9 contributing buildings. The buildings and their additions were built between 1883 and 1946. They are characterized as simple brick industrial buildings with shallow gable and parapet roofs. They housed a manufacturer of bed springs, mouse and rat traps, wringers, and dryers, and include a foundry and machine shop.
NRHP reference number: 96001551
WJET (1400 AM) branded as Jet Radio 1400 is a commercial radio station in Erie, Pennsylvania. It broadcasts a talk radio format and is owned by iHeartMedia. WJET's studios are located in the Boston Store building in downtown Erie while its transmitter is located at the intersection of E 18th St and Ash Street in the city of Erie. Programming is also heard on 250 watt FM translator W244DX at 96.7 MHz.
West Sixth Street Historic District is a national historic district located at Erie, Erie County, Pennsylvania. It includes 100 contributing buildings built between 1821 and 1930, with most built after 1883. They are primarily high-style residences along the "Millionaires Row" and in a variety of popular architectural styles including Eclectic Victorian, Second Empire, and Tudor Revival. Notable non-residential buildings include the Erie County Courthouse. Located in the district and separately listed are the Charles Manning Reed Mansion, John Hill House, and Watson-Curtze Mansion.
NRHP reference number: 84000353
The Erie–Meadville, PA Combined Statistical Area (CSA) is made up of two counties in northwestern Pennsylvania. The United States Office of Management and Budget has recognized the Erie and Meadville areas along with the counties of Erie and Crawford to make a Combined Statistical Area, located in northwestern Pennsylvania. Though these county line boundaries are rather arbitrary since Erie serves as the regional hub for the bordering areas of southwestern New York and northeastern Ohio (including the cities of Jamestown and Conneaut). As of the 2010 United States Census the CSA had a population total of 369,331. The Combined Statistical Area ranked 7th in the state of Pennsylvania and 102nd in the United States.
The Presque Isle Water Taxi, sometimes referred to as the Aquabus, is a water taxi service operated by the Erie–Western Pennsylvania Port Authority (EWPPA) on Presque Isle Bay in Erie, Pennsylvania. The water taxi departs from Dobbins Landing in downtown Erie and travels to the Waterworks in Presque Isle State Park, with a stopover at Liberty Park.
Fort Presque Isle (also Fort de la Presqu'île) was a fort built by French soldiers in summer 1753 along Presque Isle Bay at present-day Erie, Pennsylvania, to protect the northern terminus of the Venango Path. It was the first of the French posts built in the Ohio Country, and was part of a line that included Fort Le Boeuf, Fort Machault, and Fort Duquesne.
Thayer-Thompson House is a historic home located in Erie, Erie County, Pennsylvania. It was completed in 1861, and is a two-story five-bay brick irregularly-shaped dwelling. It is a combined Tuscan Villa / Italianate style building. It features round-headed windows, prominent brackets, hipped roof with overhanging eaves, and square roof belvedere. It has an enclosed porch with Corinthian order pilasters.
NRHP reference number: 85003443
Charles Manning Reed Mansion, also known as the Erie Club, is a historic home / clubhouse located at Erie, Erie County, Pennsylvania. The original section of the 2 1/2-story, brick mansion was built between 1846 and 1849. It was expanded with a one-story bay about 1855, a two-story bay about 1865, and a two-story extension in 1970. The front facade features a pedimented portico with four two-story, fluted Ionic order columns in the Greek Revival style. Connected to the house is a one-story, recreation hall measuring 20 feet wide and 120 feet long, with an addition built about 1920. Its builder was a descendant of the first permanent settler of Erie, Colonel Set Reed. The Erie Club purchased the property in 1904.
NRHP reference number: 82003786
The Ridge College of Intelligence Studies and Applied Sciences at Mercyhurst University (RIAP), located on the campus of Mercyhurst University in Erie, Pennsylvania, offers undergraduate and graduate studies programs in intelligence analysis. The program also offers graduate certificates in Applied Intelligence, Counterintelligence, and Law Enforcement Intelligence. The Intelligence Studies program "promotes the study of Intelligence in higher academic settings, while seeking to identify, promote, and employ best practices in the study and application of intelligence studies throughout its various disciplines (national security, law enforcement, business intelligence and academia)."
Dobbins Landing is a popular tourist area located at the edge of Presque Isle Bay at the terminus of State Street in Erie, Pennsylvania. Consisting of a wharf and adjoining facilities, the landing includes the Bicentennial Tower, the Sheraton Erie Hotel, and the Bayfront Convention Center.
Lake Erie Arboretum is a young arboretum located within Frontier Park, at the intersection of West 8th Street and Bayfront Parkway, Erie, Pennsylvania, United States. It is open to the public daily free of charge.
Modern Tool Company, also known as the People's Market House, is a historic building located at Erie, Erie County, Pennsylvania. It is a large eclectic "U"-shaped, brick building built in stages between 1895 and 1928. The building measures 218 feet by 330 feet. The earliest section was built in 1895, as the People's Market House. It is 3 1/2-stories and has a large central pavilion with flanking two-story wings and a gable roof. The State Street side was built in five sections between 1916 and 1924. The northern block was added about 1928. It features Palladian windows and a corner turret. The original building housed a public market until 1902, after which it was leased to the Modern Tool Company, a machine tool manufacturer.
NRHP reference number: 87000382
West 21st Street Historic District is a national historic district located at Erie, Erie County, Pennsylvania. It includes 35 contributing middle and upper class residential buildings built between 1857 and 1939. They are in a variety of popular architectural styles including Queen Anne, Italianate, and Colonial Revival. Many of the buildings have been converted to multi-family use.
NRHP reference number: 90000418
Erie Armory is a historic National Guard armory located at Erie, Erie County, Pennsylvania. The original section was built in 1920, and the size doubled with an expansion in 1929. The rectangular building consists of an administration building with attached drill hall in the Colonial Revival style. The building is constructed of brick and features a crenelated parapet. The administration building has a flat roof and drill hall a gable roof. It was designed by noted armory architect Joseph F. Kuntz.
NRHP reference number: 89002073
The Diocese of Erie (Latin: Dioecesis Eriensis) is a Latin Church ecclesiastical territory or diocese of the Catholic Church in western Pennsylvania. It was founded on July 29, 1853. It is one of seven suffragan dioceses in Pennsylvania that make up the Ecclesiastical Province of Philadelphia, which is headed by the Archdiocese of Philadelphia.
The Mary D'Angelo Performing Arts Center is part of Mercyhurst University.
Street address: 501 East 38th Street, Erie, PA 16504 (from Wikidata)
Renaissance Centre, formerly known as the Erie Trust Company Building and the G. Daniel Baldwin Building, is a 198-foot (60 m) skyscraper located in Erie, Pennsylvania in the United States. Intended to be the headquarters for the largest bank in Erie, the Erie Trust Company Building was designed by the firm Dennison and Hiron in 1925. Completed in 1928 at the climax of the Roaring Twenties, the building's namesake bank failed in 1933 after the start of the Great Depression. It was renamed the G. Daniel Baldwin Building in 1943. In 1996, it became Renaissance Centre and was listed on National Register of Historic Places in 2000.
Street address: 1001-1007 State Street (from Wikidata)
NRHP reference number: 00000967; website: https://www.renaissanceerie.com/
Downtown Erie, is the central business, cultural and government center for the city of Erie, Pennsylvania, United States. Erie’s Central Business District includes Gannon University, UPMC Hamot hospital, Erie Insurance, and city and county government offices, as well as other non-government related commercial retail and office development. Nearly 20,000 people work in downtown Erie. As of 2000, 2,690 people lived downtown.
Gannon University is a private Catholic university in Erie, Pennsylvania. Gannon University has approximately 4,500 students and 46,000 alumni. Its intercollegiate athletics include 18 athletic programs for men and women competing at the NCAA Division II level.
Street address: 109 W Sixth St, Erie, PA, 16541-0001 (from Wikidata)
Chandlery Corner consists of three historic buildings located at Erie, Erie County, Pennsylvania. They are the Peter Rockwell House, Frederick Schneider House, and Schneider/Kessler Chandlery.
NRHP reference number: 87000030
Pierre S. V. Hamot House is a historic home located in Erie, Erie County, Pennsylvania. The original section was built between 1827 and 1831, with the rear ell built during the 1870s. It is a two-story brick dwelling in a vernacular Federal style.
NRHP reference number: 91001707
Federal Row consists of five historic residential buildings located at Erie, Erie County, Pennsylvania. They are the Charles M. Tibbals House (1842), the Alexander Brewster House (1823), the Kennedy Row House (1836), the David Kennedy House (1832), and the Kennedy Double House (1840). They are characterized as rectangular brick dwellings, 2 to 2+1⁄2 stories tall, with gently sloping roofs. They have design elements characteristic of the Federal and Greek Revival styles.
NRHP reference number: 84003355