Richmont Graduate University is a private Christian university with campuses in Chattanooga, Tennessee and Atlanta, Georgia. It only offers Master's degrees and it does so through its School of Counseling and School of Ministry. Richmont's most popular programs include its Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP accredited) and its Master of Arts in Ministry.
Street address: 1815 McCallie Ave, Chattanooga, TN, 37404 (from Wikidata)
The Chattanooga Campaign was a series of maneuvers and battles in October and November 1863, during the American Civil War. Following the defeat of Maj. Gen. William S. Rosecrans' Union Army of the Cumberland at the Battle of Chickamauga in September, the Confederate Army of Tennessee under Gen. Braxton Bragg besieged Rosecrans and his men by occupying key high terrain around Chattanooga, Tennessee. Maj. Gen. Ulysses S. Grant was given command of Union forces in the West, now consolidated under the Division of the Mississippi. Significant reinforcements also began to arrive with him in Chattanooga from Mississippi and the Eastern Theater. On October 19, Grant removed Rosecrans from command of the Army of the Cumberland and replaced him with Major General George Henry Thomas.
The Southeastern United States (Spanish: Sureste de Estados Unidos, French: Sud-Est des États-Unis) is the eastern portion of the Southern United States, and the southern portion of the Eastern United States. It comprises 18 states in the southern United States.
WJTT (94.3 FM) is a radio station serving the Chattanooga area. The station operates an Urban Contemporary format and is branded as Power 94. They are owned by Brewer Broadcasting and is licensed to Red Bank, Tennessee.
The Read House Hotel is a historic hotel in Chattanooga, Tennessee. The current building dates from 1926, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places for Hamilton County.
First Baptist Church East 8th Street, historically named Shiloh Baptist Church, is a historic church at 506 E. 8th Street in Chattanooga, Tennessee.
NRHP reference number: 79002442; website: http://www.fbce8.com
Underground Chattanooga is a below-ground area of Chattanooga, Tennessee that resulted from citizen efforts to prevent floods in the aftermath of the flood of 1867. It was rediscovered by Jeff Brown in the 1970s.
The Battle of Missionary Ridge was fought on November 25, 1863, as part of the Chattanooga Campaign of the American Civil War. Following the Union victory in the Battle of Lookout Mountain on November 24, Union forces in the Military Division of the Mississippi under Maj. Gen. Ulysses S. Grant assaulted Missionary Ridge and defeated the Confederate Army of Tennessee, commanded by Gen. Braxton Bragg, forcing it to retreat to Georgia.
Southern Railway 4501 is a 2-8-2 "Mikado" type steam locomotive built in October 1911 by Baldwin Locomotive Works in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania as the first of its wheel arrangement type to be built for the Southern Railway. In 1948, the locomotive was retired from the Southern in favor of dieselization and was sold to the shortline Kentucky and Tennessee Railway (K&T) in Stearns, Kentucky to haul coal trains.
NRHP reference number: 79002440
Fort Wood Historic District is a historic neighborhood in Chattanooga, Tennessee. It is bounded roughly by Palmetto Street, McCallie Avenue, East 4th Street, and O'Neal Street, just east of the campus of the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga.
NRHP reference number: 79002437
First Baptist Church Education Building is a historic building at 317 Oak Street in Chattanooga, Tennessee.
NRHP reference number: 80003811
The Chattanooga Market is the region's largest producer-only arts and crafts and farmers' market. It is held every Sunday from April to December at the open-air First Tennessee Pavilion in Chattanooga, Tennessee, typically from 11am until 4pm (hours can vary for special events). The market has over 300 vendors, and attracts an audience of 6,000 visitors each weekend; admission is free.
The Battle of Wauhatchie was fought October 28–29, 1863, in Hamilton and Marion Counties, Tennessee, and Dade County, Georgia, in the American Civil War. A Union force had seized Brown's Ferry on the Tennessee River, opening a supply line to the Union army in Chattanooga. Confederate forces attempted to dislodge the Union force defending the ferry and again close this supply line but were defeated. Wauhatchie was one of the few night battles of the Civil War.
Wiley Memorial United Methodist Church, now known as Bethlehem Wiley United Methodist Church, is a historic church at 504 Lookout Street in Chattanooga, Tennessee, affiliated with the Holston Conference of the United Methodist Church.
NRHP reference number: 79002443
Miller's Department Store was a chain of department stores based in East Tennessee.
NRHP reference number: 87001115
The Second Battle of Chattanooga was a battle in the American Civil War, beginning on August 21, 1863, as the opening battle in the Chickamauga Campaign. The larger and more famous battles were the Battles for Chattanooga (generally referred to as the Battle of Chattanooga) in November 1863.
Brown's Ferry, Tennessee is an historical crossing point over the Tennessee River between Lookout Valley and Moccasin Bend in the city of Chattanooga, Tennessee. It was the site of the Battle of Brown's Ferry during the American Civil War. The ferry crossing was a key to the Cracker Line which became a reliable supply route for the Union Army in Chattanooga.
Saints Peter and Paul Basilica is a historic Roman Catholic church at 214 E. 8th Street in Chattanooga, Tennessee. It is one of the oldest continuing parishes in the Diocese of Knoxville.
NRHP reference number: 79002441
The International Towing & Recovery Hall Of Fame and Museum features restored antique wreckers and equipment from the tow truck industry. The museum also displays related toys, tools, equipment, and pictorial histories.
The Delta Queen is an American sternwheel steamboat. Historically, she has been used for cruising the major rivers that constitute the tributaries of the Mississippi River, particularly in the American South. She was docked in Chattanooga, Tennessee and served as a floating hotel until she was bought by the newly formed Delta Queen Steamboat Company. She was towed to Houma, Louisiana, in March 2015 to be refurbished to her original condition.
NRHP reference number: 70000495
The Chattanooga Zoo at Warner Park (formerly the Warner Park Zoo) is a 13-acre (5.3 ha) zoological park located in Warner Park in Chattanooga, Tennessee. The zoo was established in 1937 by the City of Chattanooga with the construction of two 4 by 6 feet (1.2 by 1.8 m) cages for rhesus monkeys. (An earlier zoo was established in 1900, Oxley Zoo, by Colonel F. G. Oxley of Bridgeport, Alabama when he donated $500 to open the first public zoo in Chattanooga. Oxley Zoo closed due to financial constraints in 1911.) The zoo has been accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA) since 1998.
Children's Hospital at Erlanger is a 118-bed, tertiary care children's hospital located in Chattanooga, Tennessee. The hospital serves as the pediatric center of excellence for Erlanger Health System, the tenth largest public health system in the United States. It is located adjacent to Erlanger Baroness Hospital, just east of downtown Chattanooga.
WMPZ (93.5 FM) is a commercial radio station located in Harrison, Tennessee, broadcasting to the Chattanooga, Tennessee area. WMPZ airs an urban adult contemporary music format branded as "Groove". It is home to the syndicated Tom Joyner Morning Show. WMPZ's previous formats included Urban Oldies, Gospel, & Smooth Jazz.
Missionary Ridge is a geographic feature in Chattanooga, Tennessee, site of the Battle of Missionary Ridge, a battle in the American Civil War, fought on November 25, 1863. Union forces under Maj. Gens. Ulysses S. Grant, William T. Sherman, and George H. Thomas routed Confederate forces under General Braxton Bragg and lifted the siege of the city.
Silverdale Detention Center is a private prison for male and female prisoners, located in Chattanooga, Hamilton County, Tennessee, operated by Corrections Corporation of America (one of its first contracts) and owned by Hamilton County. The maximum capacity as of 2016 is 1046.
David Brainerd Christian School (DBCS) was a Christian school located in Chattanooga, Tennessee. The school was named for the missionary named David Brainerd. DBCS was established in 2002 to meet the needs of students of Brainerd Baptist School, a Chattanooga elementary school. The campus consisted of one middle and a high school building, gymnasium, football field and baseball and softball fields.
The Wauhatchie Pike is a historic path in Lookout Mountain, Tennessee, U.S.. It was named after Wauhatchie, a Cherokee Nation chieftain. The path was an important location during the American Civil War of 1861-1865. It has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since July 11, 2001.
Second Presbyterian Church is a historic church at 700 Pine Street in Chattanooga, Tennessee, affiliated with Presbyterian Church USA.
website: http://www.secondpreschattanooga.org/; NRHP reference number: 80003822
Clarence T. Jones Observatory is an astronomical observatory in Chattanooga, Tennessee (US), owned and operated by University of Tennessee at Chattanooga.
website: http://www.utc.edu/physics-geology-astronomy/observatory/index.php; NRHP reference number: 09000949
Asbury United Methodist Church, originally Highland Park Methodist Episcopal Church, is a historic church on Bailey Avenue in Chattanooga, Tennessee.
NRHP reference number: 80003813
AT&T Field is a baseball field located in Chattanooga, Tennessee. It is the home of the minor league Chattanooga Lookouts of the double-A Southern League. Capacity of the stadium is 6,362 people, with the vast majority of seating located on the first base side. Construction of the stadium began in March 1999, and was completed for the 2000 season. The stadium's first game was on April 10, 2000, a 5–4 Chattanooga win.
Maclellan Gymnasium is a 4,177-seat multi-purpose arena in Chattanooga, Tennessee. It is home to the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga Mocs women's volleyball and wrestling teams. It used to host the Mocs basketball teams until McKenzie Arena opened in 1982.
Ferger Place Historic District in Chattanooga, Tennessee was so named and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. "Ferger Place" was founded in 1910 as the first exclusively White gated community ("restricted private park") south of the Mason–Dixon line. Founded by two wealthy investors, the Ferger Brothers, J. Fred Ferger and J. Herman Ferger, on the outskirts of town, and surrounded by a fence to keep grazing cattle out, Ferger Place attracted higher class families including wealthy businessmen and Government officials. Off of main street in east downtown Chattanooga, this 240-acre neighborhood includes a wide spectrum of architectural styles of homes and welcomes newcomers to its safety oriented community. Making up both Morningside and Eveningside Drives, the homes reflect an array of styles ranging from 1910 through the 1930s. The Historic Neighborhood is also known for its distinct 'U' shape of 69 beautiful homes. This neighborhood was especially attractive because of the industrial revolution that spread throughout the nation at the beginning of the 20th century.
NRHP reference number: 80003810
WLMR (1450 AM) is a radio station broadcasting a religious format. Licensed to Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States, the station serves the Chattanooga area. The station is currently owned by Wilkins Communications Network, Inc. and features programming from USA Radio Network. In the early 1980s, the station was automated and played country music from studios in a strip mall on Brainerd Rd. It was also Chattanooga's first talk radio station when it held the WZRA call letters. WZRA was the first home of Jeff Styles, and also featured well known personalities such as Kelly McCoy and Robert T. Nash.
Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church (also known as Tucker Baptist Church) was a historic church on McCallie Avenue in Chattanooga, Tennessee.
NRHP reference number: 80003826
The Veterans Memorial Bridge is a steel girder bridge in Chattanooga, Tennessee. It was built in 1984 and has a main span of 420 feet (130 m). It carries Georgia Avenue across the Tennessee River, and McLellan Sanctuary at Audubon Island, which is an animal sanctuary on an island on the river. It is one of 4 bridges that cross the Tennessee River at downtown Chattanooga. There are at least 13 other bridges by the name Veterans Memorial Bridge in the United States of America.
The Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Auditorium is a historic performance hall in Chattanooga, Tennessee. Built between 1922 and 1924 by John Parks (John Parks Company, General Contractors) at a cost of $700,000 and designed by noted architect R. H. Hunt, who also designed Chattanooga's lavish Tivoli Theatre, the theater honors area veterans of World War I.
NRHP reference number: 80003823
Reflection Riding Arboretum and Nature Center (317 acres) is a nonprofit arboretum, botanical garden, nature center and historical site located at 400 Garden Road, Chattanooga, Tennessee.
St. Paul's Episcopal Church in Chattanooga, Tennessee, is a downtown congregation of the Episcopal Church. It is one of the largest congregations in the Episcopal Diocese of East Tennessee.
website: http://stpaulschatt.org; NRHP reference number: 78002599
The Volkswagen Chattanooga Assembly Plant (or Chattanooga Operations LLC) is an automobile assembly plant in Chattanooga, Tennessee, that began production in April 2011, was formally inaugurated in May 2011, and employs approximately 2,000. The plant has a projected annual production of 150,000 cars beginning with a version of the 2012 Volkswagen Passat NMS, tailored to the US market. Production of the Volkswagen Atlas will commence in 2017.
The Joel W. Solomon Federal Building and United States Courthouse, commonly referred to as the Solomon Building is a historic post office and courthouse located at Chattanooga, Tennessee in Hamilton County, Tennessee. The courthouse serves the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Tennessee. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as U.S. Post Office. It was designed by Shreve, Lamb and Harmon and Reuben Harrison Hunt with watercolor murals by Hilton Leech.
NRHP reference number: 80003827
USGS GNIS ID: 1269455
WJOC "The TALK of Chattanooga (1490 AM, "AM 1490") is a radio station broadcasting a News Talk format. Licensed to Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States, the station serves the Chattanooga area. The station is currently owned by Sarah Margarett Fryar. The station was WDXB from 1948-1989. In the 1960s through the early 1980s it was one of Chattanooga's most popular Top-40 stations and featured popular personalities Chickamauga Charlie or "Chicky Poo", who later went to WGOW and Johnny Walker who later went to WKGN in Knoxville. In the 80's it aired multiple formats to try to stay relevant in the market which was already dominated by FM, everything from Country to Punk Rock, even Blues was heard on the station during this time. In 1989 the owners finally gave up and they sold to the station to Chattanooga Lookouts play by play announcer Larry Ward. Under Larry's direction the station became WJOC, Chattanooga's first all sports station. However the station was short lived and in 1993 WJOC was sold to its current owner and adopted its current Talk Radio/ Religious format. The studios are now located on Rossville Blvd, in Rossville, GA.
The P. R. Olgiati Bridge, often incorrectly called the "Ol' Johnny" or "Ol' Jolly", is a steel girder bridge across the Tennessee River in Chattanooga, Tennessee completed in 1959. It is named for former mayor and long time political boss of Chattanooga, P.R. Olgiati. Chattanooga was a growing city during the 1950s. To expand the city and to allow more ways to cross the Tennessee River, the P. R. Olgiati Bridge was one of multiple bridges built. The route carries US 27 across the Tennessee river.
Red Bank is a city in Hamilton County, Tennessee, United States. The population was 11,651 at the 2010 census and an estimated 11,765 in 2018. Red Bank is an enclave, being entirely surrounded by the city limits of Chattanooga. Red Bank is part of the Chattanooga, TN-GA, Metropolitan Statistical Area.
USGS GNIS ID: 1299035; website: http://www.redbanktn.gov/
WKXJ (103.7 FM, "103.7 KISS FM") is a radio station licensed to Walden, Tennessee, United States, and serving the Chattanooga, Tennessee, area. The station operates a Top 40 (CHR) music format and is branded as "103.7 KISS FM."
WXCT (1370 AM, "Alt 98-7") is a radio station serving the Chattanooga, Tennessee area. The station is currently owned by Bahakel Communications along with WDEF-FM, WDOD-FM, and WUUQ.
WOGT (107.9 MHz) is a commercial FM radio station licensed to East Ridge, Tennessee. It is owned by Cumulus Media and serves the Chattanooga metropolitan area. WOGT airs a country music radio format known as "107.9 Nash Icon," part of Cumulus Media's Nash FM country music formats.
McKenzie Arena (also called "The Roundhouse") is the primary basketball arena for the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga (UTC) in Chattanooga in the U.S. state of Tennessee. It replaced Maclellan Gymnasium, a 4,177-seat gymnasium now used for women's volleyball and wrestling. Originally called UTC Arena, it was renamed McKenzie Arena on February 21, 2000 in honor of athletic supporters Toby and Brenda McKenzie of Cleveland, Tennessee. The arena opened on October 8, 1982. It was designed by Campbell & Associates Architects with David J. Moore as the on-site architect/construction administrator.
Ross's Landing in Chattanooga, Tennessee, is the last site of the Cherokee's 61-year occupation of Chattanooga and is considered to be the embarkation point of the Cherokee removal on the Trail of Tears. Ross's Landing Riverfront Park memorializes the location, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Lookout Mountain Incline Railway is a 4 ft 8 1⁄2 in (1,435 mm) standard gauge inclined plane funicular railway leading to the top of Lookout Mountain from the historic St. Elmo neighborhood of Chattanooga, Tennessee. Passengers are transported from St. Elmo's Station at the base, to Point Park at the mountain summit, which overlooks the city and the Tennessee River. It is just a short drive to three of Chattanooga's main tourist attractions, Ruby Falls, Cavern Castle, and Rock City. The railway is approximately one mile (1.6 km) in length (single-track except for a short two-track passing loop at the midway point, allowing operation of two cars at one time). It has a maximum grade of 72.7%, making it one of the world's steepest passenger railways. It obtained Historic Mechanical Engineering Landmark status in 1991. The cable system for the cars was made by the Otis Elevator Company.
NRHP reference number: 73001774
The Chickamauga Dam is a hydroelectric dam on the Tennessee River in Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States. The dam is owned and operated by the Tennessee Valley Authority, which built the dam in the late 1930s as part of a New Deal era initiative to improve navigation and bring flood control and economic development to the Tennessee Valley. The dam impounds the 36,240-acre (14,670 ha) Chickamauga Lake and feeds into Nickajack Lake. The dam and associated infrastructure were listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2017.
USGS GNIS ID: 1280433
Hixson is a former unincorporated community and now part of the city of Chattanooga in Hamilton County, Tennessee, United States. It is in the northeastern part of Chattanooga and is part of the Chattanooga, TN-GA Metropolitan Statistical Area.
USGS GNIS ID: 1306579
The Seamour and Gerte Shavin House is a Frank Lloyd Wright designed Usonian home in Chattanooga, Tennessee. The house was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1993.
NRHP reference number: 93000149
WGOW-FM (102.3 FM) is a radio station known as "Talk Radio 102.3" in Chattanooga, Tennessee. The station's talk radio format features a mix of local and syndicated hosts. This station is currently under ownership of Cumulus Media.
Ruby Falls is a 145 foot (44 m) high underground waterfall located within Lookout Mountain, near Chattanooga, Tennessee in the United States.
NRHP reference number: 85002969
The St. Elmo Historic District, or St. Elmo for short, is a neighborhood in the city of Chattanooga, Tennessee. It is situated in the southernmost part of Hamilton County within the valley of Lookout Mountain below the part of the Tennessee River known as Moccasin Bend. St Elmo is at the crossroads of two ancient Indian trails, and was first occupied by Native American hunters and gatherers in the Woodland period, then agricultural Mississippians, including Euchee and Muscogee, and for a brief period between 1776 and 1786, the Cherokees in a community called Lookout Town. St. Elmo became part of the city of Chattanooga when it was annexed in September 1929.
NRHP reference number: 82003976
The Tennessee College of Applied Technology at Chattanooga is one of 47 institutions in the Tennessee Board of Regents System, the seventh largest system of higher education in the nation. This system comprises six universities, thirteen community colleges, and 28 Colleges of Applied Technology. More than 80 percent of all Tennessee students attending public institutions are enrolled in a Tennessee Board of Regents institution.