Trams in Vienna (German: Wiener Straßenbahn, in everyday's speech also Bim or Tramway) are a vital part of the public transport system in Vienna, capital city of Austria. In operation since 1865, the network reached its greatest extent during the interwar period (1918–1939). Today, it is the fifth largest tram network in the world, at about 176.9 kilometres (109.9 mi) in total length and 1,071 stations.
The Habsburg Monarchy (German: Habsburgermonarchie) or Empire is an unofficial appellation among historians for the countries and provinces that were ruled by the junior Austrian branch of the House of Habsburg between 1521 and 1780 and then by the successor branch of Habsburg-Lorraine until 1918. The Monarchy was a composite state composed of territories within and outside the Holy Roman Empire, united only in the person of the monarch. The dynastic capital was Vienna, except from 1583 to 1611, when it was moved to Prague. From 1804 to 1867 the Habsburg Monarchy was formally unified as the Austrian Empire, and from 1867 to 1918 as the Austro-Hungarian Empire.
The Zacherlhaus is a residential and business building designed by Jože Plečnik and built between 1903 and 1905 in the 1st district of Vienna, the Innere Stadt (at Brandstätte 6/Wildpretmarkt 2-4/Bauernmarkt 2).
Theater am Kärntnertor or Kärntnertortheater (English: Carinthian Gate Theatre) was a prestigious theatre in Vienna during the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. Its official title was Kaiserliches und Königliches Hoftheater zu Wien, the "Imperial and Royal Court Theater of Vienna".
The Eurovision Song Contest 1967 was the 12th edition of Eurovision Song Contest. It took place on 8 April 1967 in Vienna, Austria following Udo Jürgens win at the 1966 contest. The presenter was Erica Vaal.
Central Bathhouse Vienna (opened in 1889 as Central-Bad Wien, Zentralbad Wien, and also known as Kaiserbründl) is a bathing establishment in Vienna, Austria.
The Siege of Vienna in 1529 was the first attempt by the Ottoman Empire, led by Suleiman the Magnificent, to capture the city of Vienna, Austria. The siege signalled the pinnacle of the Ottoman Empire's power and the maximum extent of Ottoman expansion in central Europe. Thereafter, 150 years of bitter military tension and reciprocal attacks ensued, culminating in the Battle of Vienna of 1683, which marked the start of the 15-year-long Great Turkish War.
Palais Harrach is a Baroque palace in Vienna, Austria. It was owned by the noble Harrach family. The building was extensively renovated and restored in the late 1990s, and it houses offices and shops today.
The Imperial Sword (German: Reichsschwert) is one of the four most important parts of the Imperial Regalia (Reichskleinodien) of the Holy Roman Empire. During a coronation, it was given to the emperor along with the Imperial Crown (Reichskrone), Imperial Sceptre (Reichszepter), and the Imperial Orb (Reichsapfel). All four parts of the Imperial Regalia are displayed in the Imperial Treasury at the Hofburg Palace in Vienna, Austria.
Palais Kinsky is a Baroque palace in central Vienna, Austria. It was originally built for Count Wirich Philipp von Daun, the garrison commander whose son Leopold became a Field Marshal of Empress Maria Theresa. The palace was later bought by the Kinsky family of Bohemia, and it is sometimes called the Palais Daun-Kinsky.
Palais Todesco is a Ringstraßenpalais in Vienna, Austria, constructed from 1861 to 1864 on plans by architect Theophil Hansen.
Palais Schönborn-Batthyány is a Baroque palace in the Innere Stadt district of Vienna, Austria.
The Old Catholic Church of Austria (German: Altkatholische Kirche Österreichs) is the Austrian member church of the Union of Utrecht of the Old Catholic Churches. It was nationally recognized in 1877, despite objections of the imperial dynasty and the Roman Catholic hierarchy in the formally pro-Vatican I state of Austria-Hungary.
Pi is the name of a multimedia installation in the vicinity of the Viennese Karlsplatz. Pi is located in the Opernpassage between the entrance to the subway and the subway stop in Secession near the Naschmarkt. The individual behind the project was the Canadian artist Ken Lum from Vancouver.
Café Griensteidl was a traditional Viennese café located at Michaelerplatz 2 across from St. Michael's Church and St. Michael's Gate at the Hofburg Palace in the Innere Stadt first district of Vienna, Austria. The cafe was founded in 1847 by former pharmacist Heinrich Griensteidl. In January 1897, the original building was demolished during the course of the renovation of Michaelerplatz. In 1990, the café was reopened and became a popular location among the Viennese coffeehouse culture. During the early twentieth century, the café was frequented by many artists, musicians, and writers, including Hugo von Hofmannsthal, Arthur Schnitzler, Arnold Schoenberg, Alexander Zemlinsky, Hermann Bahr, Friedrich Eckstein, Rudolf Steiner, Hugo Wolf, and Stefan Zweig.
The Neues Wiener Konservatorium (New Vienna Conservatory) was a music school established in Vienna by Theobald Kretschmann in 1909. In 1929 it had the largest number of enrolled students during its lifetime.
The Hofkriegsrat (or Aulic War Council, sometimes Imperial War Council) established in 1556 was the central military administrative authority of the Habsburg Monarchy, the predecessor of the Austro-Hungarian Ministry of War. The agency was directly subordinated to the Habsburg emperors with its seat in Vienna.
The Catholic Church of Austria, also known as the Roman-Catholic Church of Austria, is part of the worldwide Catholic Church in full communion with the Pope in Rome. The Church's governing body in Austria is the Austrian Conference of Catholic Bishops, made up of the hierarchy of the two archbishops (Vienna and Salzburg), the bishops and the abbot of territorial abbey of Wettingen-Mehrerau. Nevertheless, each bishop is independent in his own diocese, answerable only to the Pope. The current president of the Conference of Catholic Bishops is Cardinal Christoph Schönborn. The Austrian church is the largest Christian Confession of Austria, with 5.11 million members (57.9 % of the total Austrian population.).
Pummerin ("Boomer") is the name of the two largest bells in the history of the Stephansdom, St. Stephen's Cathedral, in Vienna.
The Franciscan Church (German: Franziskanerkirche), also known as the Church of St. Jerome, is a Roman Catholic parish church dedicated to Saint Jerome and located in the historic city center of Vienna, Vienna's 1st district (Innere Stadt). It is the church of the Franciscan Order in Vienna.
Stadtpalais Liechtenstein (City Palace), is a residential building at Bankgasse 9, in the first district of Vienna, Innere Stadt, and is one of two palaces in Vienna belonging to the princely family of Liechtenstein. The palace was built during the period of 1692 to 1705 by the Italian architect Domenico Martinelli and the Swiss architect Gabriele Gabrieli.
The Vienna Secession (German: Wiener Secession; also known as the Union of Austrian Artists, or Vereinigung Bildender Künstler Österreichs) was an art movement formed in 1897 by a group of Austrian artists who had resigned from the Association of Austrian Artists, housed in the Vienna Künstlerhaus. This movement included painters, sculptors, and architects. The first president of the Secession was Gustav Klimt, and Rudolf von Alt was made honorary president. Its official magazine was called Ver Sacrum.
The Opernpassage (opera passage) in the Inner City of Vienna is a Grade II listed pedestrian underpass under the ring road (Ringstraße). It was opened in 1955, a day before the re-opening of the nearby Vienna State Opera.
Palais Niederösterreich, historically known as the Niederösterreichisches Landeshaus (Estates House of Lower Austria), is a historical building in Vienna. The building housed the estates general of the state of Lower Austria until 1848. After 1861, the state assembly and some state government ministries occupied it until 1997, when St. Pölten fully took on the role of the new capital of Lower Austria.
The Higher Scientific Institute for Diocesan Priests at St. Augustine's (German: Das höheres Weltpriesterbildungsinstitut zum hl. Augustin) in Vienna, also well known as Augustineum or as Frintaneum, was a school for diocesan priests that existed between 1816 and 1918.
On December 21, 1975, six militants attacked the semi-annual meeting of OPEC leaders in Vienna, Austria; the attackers took more than 60 hostages after killing an Austrian policeman, an Iraqi OPEC security officer, and a Libyan economist. Several other individuals were wounded. The self-named "Arm of the Arab Revolution" group was led by Carlos the Jackal. The siege ended two days later, after flights to Algiers and Tripoli, with all the hostages and terrorists walking away from the situation.
The Donaukanal ("Danube Canal") is a former arm of the river Danube, now regulated as a water channel (since 1598), within the city of Vienna, Austria. It is 17.3 kilometres (10.7 mi) long and, unlike the Danube itself, it borders Vienna's city centre, Innere Stadt, where the Wien River (Wienfluss) flows into it.
The Freyung is a triangular public square in Vienna, located in the Innere Stadt first district of the city.
The Ringtheater was a popular theater in Vienna, Austria. In 1881, it was destroyed in a fire that killed 449 people. The site now houses the federal headquarters of police for Vienna.
Palais Pallavicini is a palace in Vienna, Austria. It is located in the Josefsplatz square at number 5. It has been owned by the noble Pallavicini family. It was previously built and owned by the Fries banking family and is therefore also known as Palais Fries.
Palais Esterházy is a baroque palace in Vienna, Austria, owned by the noble Esterházy family. It houses a famous and popular restaurant in the former wine cellars, called Esterházykeller.
Palais Ephrussi is a former Ringstraßenpalais in Vienna. It was built for the Ephrussi family of financiers by Theophil Freiherr von Hansen, the architect of the Austrian Parliament Building. It is on the Ringstrasse, specifically the Universitätsring (formerly Doctor-Karl-Lueger-Ring), opposite the Votivkirche.
Palais Lobkowitz, or Palais Dietrichstein-Lobkowitz, is a Baroque palace in Vienna, Austria. It was owned by the noble Lobkowitz family.
The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Vienna (Latin: Archidioecesis Viennensis) is an archdiocese of the Catholic Church in Austria. It was erected as the Diocese of Vienna on 18 January 1469 out of the Diocese of Passau, and elevated to an archdiocese on 1 June 1722. The episcopal see resides in the cathedral of Stephansdom in Vienna. The current bishop is Christoph Schoenborn, appointed in 1995 and elevated to cardinal in 1998.
The Konzerthaus is a concert hall located in Vienna, Austria, which opened in 1913. It is situated in the third district just at the edge of the first district in Vienna. Since it was founded it has always tried to emphasise both tradition and innovative musical styles.
The Haas House is a building in Vienna at the Stock-im-Eisen-Platz.
The Vienna Basin (German: Wiener Becken, Czech: Vídeňská pánev, Slovak: Viedenská kotlina) is a sedimentary basin between the Eastern Alps and the Carpathian Mountains.
The Austrian Space Agency, since 2005 officially Aeronautics and Space Agency (German: Agentur für Luft- und Raumfahrt) is an organization whose purpose is to coordinate Austrian space exploration-related activities, both national programs and European Space Agency related programs. It was established in 1972 in Vienna. In 1987, Austria became a member state of the European Space Agency.
St. Anne's Church (German: Annakirche) is located in Vienna, Austria, and has been administered by the Oblates of St. Francis de Sales since 1906. A relic of Saint Anne—her right hand—is kept in a rich Baroque setting and exhibited every year on July 26.
Palais Pálffy (English: Pálffy Palace) is a palace located on Josefsplatz in the Innere Stadt (inner city) district of Vienna, Austria. It was once owned by the noble Pálffy family.
The Cellini Salt Cellar (in Vienna called the Saliera, Italian for salt cellar) is a part-enamelled gold table sculpture by Benvenuto Cellini. It was completed in 1543 for Francis I of France, from models that had been prepared many years earlier for Cardinal Ippolito d'Este. The Cellini Salt Cellar depicts a male figure representing the sea and a female figure that represents the earth. A small vessel meant to hold salt is placed next to the male figure. A temple-shaped box for pepper is placed next to the female figure.
The Herrengasse (meaning in German language: "Street of the Lords" or "Lords Lane") is a street in Vienna, located in the first district Innere Stadt.
Palais Gomperz is a Ringstraßenpalais in Vienna, Austria. It was built for the aristocratic Gomperz family.
Kursalon (Kursalon Hübner) is a music hall in Vienna, designed by Johann Garben in the style of the Italian Renaissance and built between 1865 and 1867.
Palais Gutmann is a Ringstraßenpalais in Vienna, Austria. It was built for the coal trading Gutmann family. It was built in 1869-1871. The architect was Carl Tietz.
Wiener Kammeroper is an opera theatre and opera company founded by conductor Hans Gabor. As early as 1948 he initiated the "Vienna Opera Studio" - a company without a theatre of its own. The new name of the company, "Wiener Kammeroper" (Vienna Chamber Opera), reminiscent of chamber music and society plays in an intimate setting, was first used officially in 1953.
Palais Lieben-Auspitz is a Ringstraßenpalais in Vienna, Vienna, located in the city's Innere Stadt.
Palais Eskeles is a palace in Vienna, Austria.
Palais Obizzi is a small baroque palace in Vienna, Austria.
Judenplatz (English:Jewish Square) is a town square in Vienna's Innere Stadt that was the center of Jewish life and the Viennese Jewish Community in the Middle Ages. It is located in the immediate proximity of Am Hof square, Schulhof, and Wipplingerstraße. It exemplifies the long and eventful history of the city and the Jewish community focused on this place. Archaeological excavations of the medieval synagogue are viewable underground by way of the museum on the square, Misrachi-Haus. Two sculptural works, a carved relief and several inscribed texts are located around the square that all have subject matter relating to Jewish history. One of these sculptures is a statue of Gotthold Ephraim Lessing. The other is a memorial to Austrian Holocaust Victims, a project based on an idea of Simon Wiesenthal and unveiled in 2000. Created by British artist Rachel Whiteread, the memorial is a reinforced concrete cube resembling a library with its volumes turned inside out. The Judenplatz is the location of the Constitutional Court of Austria and the Administrative Court of Austria.
Hotel Metropole was a hotel in Vienna, Austria that was constructed in 1871–73. It was destroyed during World War II after serving as the Vienna headquarters of the Gestapo from 1938. The address was Morzinplatz, in the I. District Innere Stadt.
The Deutschmeister-Palais or Palais Erzherzog Wilhelm is a building in Vienna located at Parkring 8.
Palais Königswarter is a Ringstraßenpalais in Vienna, Austria. It was built for the aristocratic Königswarter family.
Palais Schey von Koromla, also known as Palais Schey (or erroneously Palais Schey-Koromla) is a Ringstraßenpalais building in Vienna, Austria.
Heldenplatz (German: Heroes' Square) is a public space in front of the Hofburg Palace in Vienna, Austria. Located in the Innere Stadt borough, the President of Austria resides in the adjoining Hofburg wing, while the Federal Chancellery is on adjacent Ballhausplatz.
Maria-Theresien-Platz is a large public square in Vienna, Austria, that joins the Ringstraße with the Museumsquartier, a museum of modern arts located in the former Imperial Stables. Facing each other from the sides of the square are two near identical buildings, the Naturhistorisches Museum (Natural History Museum) and the Kunsthistorisches Museum (Art History Museum). The buildings are near identical, except for the statuary on their façades. The Naturhistorisches' façade has statues depicting personifications of Africa, Asia, Europe, and the Americas. The Kunsthistorisches façade features famous European artists, such as the Dutch Bruegel, among others.
The Stephansplatz is a square at the geographical centre of Vienna. It is named after its most prominent building, the Stephansdom, Vienna's cathedral and one of the tallest churches in the world. Before the 20th century, a row of houses separated Stephansplatz from Stock-im-Eisen-Platz, but since their destruction, the name Stephansplatz started to be used for the wider area covering both. To the west and south, respectively, run the exclusive shopping streets Graben (literally "ditch") and Kärntner Straße ("Kärnten" is the German for Carinthia). Opposite the Stephansdom is the Haas-Haus, a piece of striking modern architecture by Hans Hollein. Although public opinion was originally skeptical about the combination of the mediaeval cathedral and the glass and steel building, it is now considered an example of how old and new architecture can mix harmoniously .
The Agate Bowl (German: Achatschale) is a bowl cut out of a single piece of agate in the fourth century at the court of Constantine, and now displayed in the Imperial Treasury at the Hofburg Palace in Vienna, Austria. For centuries it was widely regarded as the "greatest masterpiece" and the "best and most important piece" in the collection. In 1564, Holy Roman Emperor Maximillian II and his brothers declared it by deed to be an "inalienable heirloom of the house of Austria". They valued this ancient precious stone carving, not just for its craftsmanship, but for a "natural miracle" in the stone itself that reveals a mysterious inscription—the name XRISTO (Christ) at the bottom of the bowl within the grain of the stone. It is now generally believed that the inscription inspired the legend that the bowl was the Holy Grail. The Agate Bowl is the largest carved stone bowl in the world.
The Austrian Minister of Defence was head of the Ministerium für Landesverteidigung (Ministry for National Defence) or Landwehrministerium. It was set up in 1868 with responsibility for the armed forces and militia in the Cisleithanian half of the Dual Monarchy of Austria-Hungary, effectively what is now Austria. It was succeeded in 1918 by the Ministry of Defence of the First Austrian Republic.
The Austrian Film Museum (German: Österreichisches Filmmuseum) is a film archive and museum located in Vienna, Austria. It was founded by Peter Konlechner and Peter Kubelka in 1964.
The Imperial Crown of Austria (German: Österreichische Kaiserkrone) was made in 1602 in Prague by Jan Vermeyen as the personal crown of Holy Roman Emperor Rudolf II, and therefore is also known as the Crown of Emperor Rudolf II (German: Rudolfskrone). The crown was used as a private crown of the Holy Roman Emperors and Kings of Hungary and Bohemia from the House of Habsburg. In 1804 it became the official crown of the newly constituted Austrian Empire. After 1867 it remained the imperial crown of the Cisleithanian part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire until 1918.
The Graben (German: Trench) is one of the most famous streets in Vienna's first district, the city centre. It begins at Stock-im-Eisen-Platz next to the Palais Equitable and ends at the junction of Kohlmarkt and Tuchlauben. Another street in the first district is called Tiefer Graben (deep ditch). It is crossed by Wipplinger Straße by means of the Hohe Brücke, a bridge about ten metres above street level.
The Imperial Crown of the Holy Roman Empire (German: Reichskrone) was the hoop crown (German: Bügelkrone) of the Holy Roman Emperor from the 11th century to the dissolution of the Holy Roman Empire in 1806. The crown was used in the coronation of the King of the Romans, the title assumed by the Emperor-elect immediately after his election. It was made in the late 10th or early 11th century. Unlike many other crowns, it has an octagonal rather than a circular shape, and is constructed from eight hinged plates. The plate in the front of the crown is surmounted by a cross, with a single arch linking it to a plate at the rear of the crown. The crown is now exhibited at the Hofburg in Vienna.
Kärntner Straße (English: Carinthian Street) is the most famous shopping street in central Vienna . It runs from the Stephansplatz out to the Wiener Staatsoper at Karlsplatz on the Ringstraße. The first record of Kärntner Straße is from 1257, as Strata Carintianorum, which refers to its importance as a trade route to the southern province of Carinthia .
The Austrian Bishops' Conference (German: Österreichische Bischofskonferenz) is the official assembly of the Roman Catholic bishops of Austria. It is the supreme authority of the Roman Catholic Church in Austria, established as a formal body under public law in 1849. Its members include the archbishops of Vienna and Salzburg, all diocesan and auxiliary bishops, as well as the abbot of immediate Wettingen-Mehrerau Abbey.
Palais Caprara-Geymüller, sometimes known as Palais Caprara, is a Baroque palace in Vienna, Austria.
Flex is a nightclub in Vienna. It is located between underground station Schottenring and Augartenbrücke. Many international and Austrian music acts and DJs, such as Pete Doherty, Juliette and the Licks and Arcade Fire, have performed in Flex. There have been hundreds of visits from drum and bass DJs like: Pendulum, High Contrast, DJ Marky, Aphrodite, Patifee, DJ Hype, Logistics, Leopoi, and others. According to the annual rating of German music magazine Spex Flex has been among the best nightclubs in Europe for years. The soundsystem is also widely considered one of the best.
Palais Epstein is a Ringstraßenpalais in Vienna, Austria. It was built for the industrialist and banker Gustav Ritter von Epstein. The architect was Theophil Freiherr von Hansen, who also designed the adjacent Austrian Parliament Building. Unlike traditional Baroque noble palaces in Vienna, the Palais Epstein was built in the late 19th century and is therefore considered a Ringstraßenpalais. It is up to five storeys high and built in the neo-renaissance style typical of its time.
The Church of the Teutonic Order (German: Deutschordenskirche), also known as the Church of Saint Elisabeth of Hungary (German: Hl. Elisabeth von Ungarn), is the mother church of the Teutonic Order, a German-based Roman Catholic religious order formed at the end of the 12th century. Located in Vienna, Austria, near the Stephansdom, it is the current seat of the Grand Master of the Order.
The Episcopal Palace (German: Erzbischöfliches Palais) in Vienna is the seat of the archbishop of Vienna, Austria. It is located in the centre of the city next to St. Stephen's Cathedral.
The Embassy of Argentina in Vienna (Spanish: Embajada de la República Argentina en Viena) is Argentina's foreign mission in Austria. It is located at Lügeck 1-2, 7th Floor in Vienna, the Austrian capital. Rafael Mariano Grossi serves as Ambassador (as of June 2013).
Dorotheergasse is a narrow lane (German: -gasse), terminating at the Graben to the north and Augustinerstraße to the south, part of the Old Town district of Vienna, Austria. It is named for the monastery of St. Dorothea, Dorotheerkloster.
The Vienna Spring Festival (German: Wiener Frühlingsfestival) is an annual classical music festival in Vienna. Founded in 1992, the festival is held in April and May at the Konzerthaus and other venues in Vienna.
Wing of a European Roller (also known as Wing of a Blue Roller) is a nature study watercolor by Albrecht Dürer. Dürer painted it from a dead specimen in 1500 or 1512.
Male Back With a Flag is a chalk drawing by Michelangelo Buonarroti, from 1504.
Nature Studies is an illustrated manuscript of the 16th century, which represents nature scenes. It was part of the collection of the Holy Roman Emperor Rudolph II.
Umar Defeats a Dragon is a Mughal Illuminated manuscript illustrating an episode from the Hamzanama.
The 1981 Vienna synagogue attack was a terror attack on the Stadttempel of Vienna, Austria carried out by Abu Nidal Organization.
Since November 2000 the European Centre of Tort and Insurance Law (ECTIL), based in Vienna, has been an association whose purpose is
The following is a timeline of the history of the city of Vienna, Austria.
The Embassy of Colombia in Vienna is the diplomatic mission of the Republic of Colombia to the Republic of Austria; it is headed by the Ambassador of Colombia to Austria. It is located in the Innere Stadt district of Vienna, near the Austrian Parliament, the University of Vienna, the Rathaus, and the Burgtheater, precisely at Stadiongasse 6-8 at the intersection of Bartensteingasse, and it is serviced by the Rathaus station.
The Imperial Natural History Museum or Imperial Royal Natural History Court Museum of Austria-Hungary was created by (Kaiser) Emperor Franz Joseph I during an extensive reorganization of the museum collections, from 1851–1876, and opened to the public on August 10, 1889. Located in Vienna, the Museum was named in German as "K.k. Naturhistorisches Hofmuseum" (with "Hofmuseum" translated as "Court Museum").
The Austrian Parliament (German: Österreichisches Parlament) is the bicameral legislature in Austria. It consists of two chambers: the National Council (Nationalrat) and the Federal Council (Bundesrat). In specific cases, both houses convene as the Federal Assembly (Bundesversammlung). The legislature meets in the Austrian Parliament Building in Vienna.
The Minoritenplatz is one of the oldest public squares in Vienna. It is located in the first district Innere Stadt, and is dominated by the Minoritenkirche church, after which the square is named. The church itself was constructed by the Greyfriars (Minoriten), after the Austrian Duke Leopold VI of Austria invited them to Austria in 1224. Since the square is in direct proximity to the Hofburg Imperial Palace, a number of aristocratic families took up residence in the square from the 16th to the 18th century.
The Ring Road (German: Ringstraße) is a circular grand boulevard that serves as a ring road around the historic Innere Stadt (Old Town) district of Vienna, Austria. The road is located where medieval city fortifications once stood, including high walls and the open field (glacis) that lay before them.
The Museum Of Young Art (MOYA) founded 2005 in Vienna, Austria, was the first museum worldwide exclusively devoted to 21st-century young art. The MOYA was privately owned, founded & owned by the Swiss and German art historian and art manager Dr. Kolja Kramer. It presented artworks produced after the year 2000 only and it focussed especially on the early work of artists. Artists also did not necessarily have to be fully established. A risk with regard to long term art historical relevance was taken for the sake of art historical speculation. The MOYA also functioned as a springboard for many young artists. In 2015 the MOYA-Museum of Young Art in Vienna was closed. The transfer of the MOYA-Museum of Young Art outside Austria is planned at present. Further Information: www.moya-museum.org.
Josefsplatz (English: Joseph's Square) is a public square located at the Hofburg Palace in Vienna, Austria. Named after Emperor Joseph II, Josefsplatz is considered one of the finest courtyards in Vienna.
The Herzgruft (English: Hearts Crypt) is a burial chamber that protects 54 urns containing the hearts of members of the House of Habsburg. The crypt is located behind the Loreto Chapel in the Augustinian Church within the Hofburg Palace complex in Vienna, Austria.
The Ducal Crypt (German: Herzogsgruft) is a burial chamber beneath the chancel of Stephansdom in Vienna, Austria. It holds 78 containers with the bodies, hearts, or viscera of 72 members of the House of Habsburg.
Palais Mollard-Clary is a Baroque palace in Vienna, Austria. It is located in the first district Innere Stadt, at Herrengasse 9.
Pradler Ritterspiele is a theatre in Austria.
The Palais Bartolotti-Partenfeld is a city-palace in central Vienna, Austria. It was originally build for the Bartolotti noble family and later bought by the Partenfeld family.
The Winter Palace of Prince Eugene (German: Winterpalais Prinz Eugen), also known as the City Palace (German: Stadtpalais), is a high-Baroque palace in the Innere Stadt district of Vienna, Austria. Located on a narrow street at Himmelpfortgasse 8, the palace was used as the winter residence of Prince Eugene of Savoy, who spent his summers at the Belvedere. The Winter Palace was designed and constructed by Johann Bernhard Fischer von Erlach from 1695 to 1700, and by Johann Lukas von Hildebrandt from 1702 to 1724 following his predecessor's plans.
Rathausplatz is a square in Vienna, Austria.
The Vienna Coronation Gospels, also known simply as the Coronation Gospels, is a late 8th century illuminated Gospel Book produced at the court of Charlemagne in Aachen. It was used by the future emperor at his coronation on Christmas Day 800, when he placed three fingers of his right hand on the first page of the Gospel of Saint John and took his oath. Traditionally, it is considered to be the same manuscript that was found in the tomb of Charlemagne when it was opened in the year 1000 by Emperor Otto III. The Coronation Evangeliar cover was created by Hans von Reutlingen, c. 1500. The Coronation Evangeliar is part of the Imperial Treasury (Schatzkammer) in the Hofburg Palace in Vienna, Austria (Schatzkammer, Inv. XIII 18).
Schwedenplatz (German for Sweden Square) is a square in central Vienna, Austria.
Ballhausplatz is a square in central Vienna containing the building (with the address Ballhausplatz 2) that for over two hundred years has been the official residence of the most senior Austrian Cabinet Minister, the State Chancellor, today the Chancellor of Austria (Prime Minister). As a result, Ballhausplatz is often used as shorthand for the Austrian Federal Chancellery. Until 1918 the Foreign Ministry of Austria-Hungary was also housed here. Similar to Downing Street or the Hotel Matignon, the word Ballhausplatz (or Ballplatz for short) is a synecdoche for the seat of power.
Schillerplatz is a square in Innere Stadt, Vienna, Austria.
Schönlaterngasse ("beautiful lantern alley") is a small winding alleyway in central Vienna. In the Middle Ages it was known as Straße der Herren von Heiligenkreuz ("street of the gentlemen of Heiligenkreuz"), as it passes the Heiligenkreuzer Hof ("Holy Cross courtyard"). Later on, it carried several names that still referred to the Heiligenkreuzer Hof before being named after the "beautiful lantern" in 1780. The buildings along the alley date back to Baroque times.
The Peasant Wedding is a 1567 genre painting by the Flemish Renaissance painter and printmaker Pieter Bruegel the Elder, one of his many depicting peasant life. It is currently housed in the Kunsthistorisches Museum, Vienna. Pieter Bruegel the Elder enjoyed painting peasants and different aspects of their lives in so many of his paintings that he has been called Peasant-Bruegel, but he was in fact a sophisticated intellectual, and many of his paintings have a symbolic meaning and also a moral aspect.
The Palais Equitable is a mansion in Stock-im-Eisen-Platz (now part of Stephansplatz) in the Innere Stadt of Vienna, Austria that was built in the 19th century for The Equitable Life Assurance Society of the United States and that incorporates the Stock im Eisen on one corner.