The Urban Land Institute, or ULI, is a nonprofit research and education organization with offices in Washington, D.C., Hong Kong, London, and Frankfurt. Its stated mission is "to provide leadership in the responsible use of land and in creating and sustaining thriving communities worldwide". ULI advocates progressive development, conducting research, and education in topics such as sustainability, smart growth, compact development, place making, and workforce housing.
Cogent Communications is a multinational internet service provider based in the United States. Cogent's primary services consist of Internet access and data transport, offered on a fiber optic, IP data-only network, along with colocation in data centers.
Michel Richard Citronelle was an American restaurant located in Georgetown, Washington, D.C. The chef and owner of Citronelle was James Beard Award-winning chef Michel Richard.
The Pennsylvania Avenue Bridge conveys Pennsylvania Avenue across Rock Creek and the adjoining Rock Creek and Potomac Parkway, between the neighborhoods of Georgetown and Foggy Bottom in Northwest Washington, D.C. Pennsylvania Avenue terminates at M Street immediately west of the bridge.
Georgetown College, infrequently Georgetown College of Arts and Sciences, is the oldest school within Georgetown University in Washington, D.C. The College is the largest undergraduate school at Georgetown, and until the founding of the School of Medicine in 1850, was the only higher education division of the university. In 1821, the school granted its first graduate degrees, though the graduate portion has since been separated as the Georgetown University Graduate School of Arts and Sciences.
The McCourt School of Public Policy (MSPP) is one of nine schools of Georgetown University in Washington, D.C. The McCourt School offers master's degrees in public policy, international development policy, policy management, data science for public policy, and policy leadership as well as administers several professional certificate programs and houses fifteen affiliated research centers. The McCourt School has twenty-one full-time faculty members, ten visiting faculty members, more than one-hundred adjunct faculty members and approximately 450 enrolled students across the various degree and executive education programs.
The Graduate School of Arts and Sciences is the oldest graduate school in the United States, and is one of four graduate schools at Georgetown University in Washington, D.C., United States.
Georgetown University Medical Center (GUMC) is the medical campus at Georgetown University. It is also a $225 million biomedical research and educational organization. The Medical Center contains over 80% of Georgetown University's sponsored research funding and is led by Edward B. Healton, MD, the Executive Vice President for Health Sciences and Executive Dean of the School of Medicine
The Embassy of the United Arab Emirates in Washington, D.C. is the diplomatic mission of the United Arab Emirates to the United States. It is located at 3522 International Court, Northwest, Washington, D.C., in the North Cleveland Park neighborhood.
The Thai Embassy in Washington, D.C. (Thai: สถานเอกอัครราชทูตไทย ณ กรุงวอชิงตัน ดีซี) is the diplomatic mission of the Kingdom of Thailand to the United States. The embassy is located at 1024 Wisconsin Avenue, Northwest, Washington, D.C. in the Georgetown neighborhood.
Cooper Field, formerly known as Harbin Field and Multi-Sport Field, is a 2,500-seat multi-purpose stadium in Washington, D.C. on the campus of Georgetown University. The field was originally used for intramurals and was adopted for soccer in 1994 as Harbin Field. The name was changed to "Multi-Sport Field", a placeholder pending final construction, to reflect the football team's use of the field starting in 2003. In 2015, Georgetown changed the name to Cooper Field in honor of a $50 million gift from Peter and Susan Cooper which funded athletic leadership programs at Georgetown and construction upgrades to the field.
The Cellar Door was a 163-seat music club at 34th and M Street NW in Washington, D.C. from 1964 through 1981. It occupied the location of a former music club called The Shadows. It was one of the premier music spots in Washington and was the genesis as well as a tryout for larger markets. Many artists cut their professional teeth performing at the Cellar Door, while audiences delighted in being within a few feet of the stage at the tiny venue. Many notables in 1960s and 1970s music played there. Some of the performances at The Cellar Door were recorded and released. The club was the venue for the renowned Live-Evil (later expanded into The Cellar Door Sessions), a live album with Miles Davis. The Bud & Travis In Person album was recorded there in 1964. Richie Havens recorded most of the tracks on Richie Havens Live at the Cellar Door there in 1970 and The Seldom Scene, a Bethesda, MD based bluegrass band, recorded their signature live album Seldom Scene Recorded Live At the Cellar Door in December 1974. Danny Gatton's The Redneck Jazz Explosion album was also recorded at The Cellar Door in 1978.
The Farmers and Mechanics Bank is a historic building in the Georgetown neighborhood of Washington, D.C. Constructed between 1921 and 1922, the bank was first the headquarters of the Farmers and Mechanics National Bank. Soon thereafter, it became known as the Farmers and Mechanics Branch of Riggs National Bank. In 2005, the building became a branch of PNC bank.
The Presbyterian Burying Ground, also known as the Old Presbyterian Burying Ground, was a historic cemetery which existed between 1802 and 1909 in the Georgetown neighborhood of Washington, D.C., in the United States. It was one of the most prominent cemeteries in the city until the 1860s. Burials there tapered significantly after Oak Hill Cemetery was founded nearby in 1848. The Presbyterian Burying Ground closed to new burials in 1887, and about 500 to 700 bodies were disinterred after 1891 when an attempt was made to demolish the cemetery and use the land for housing. The remaining graves fell into extensive disrepair. After a decade of effort, the District of Columbia purchased the cemetery in 1909 and built Volta Park there, leaving nearly 2,000 bodies buried at the site. Occasional human remains and tombstones have been discovered at the park since its construction. A number of figures important in the early history of Georgetown and Washington, D.C., military figures, politicians, merchants, and others were buried at Presbyterian Burying Ground.
The Robert Emmett McDonough School of Business, commonly shorted to the McDonough School of Business and abbreviated as the MSB, is the business school of Georgetown University in Washington, D.C. Founded in 1957, it grants both undergraduate and graduate degrees, and is one of the university's nine constituent schools. Since 1998, the school has been named in honor of Georgetown alumnus Robert Emmett McDonough.
Georgetown University School of Medicine, a medical school opened in 1851, is one of Georgetown University's five graduate schools. It is located on Reservoir Road in the Georgetown neighborhood of Washington, DC, adjacent to the University's main campus. The School of Medicine works in association with the 609-bed Georgetown University Hospital, Washington Hospital Center, and nine other affiliated federal and community hospitals in the Washington metropolitan area. Georgetown is the oldest Catholic medical school in the United States.
Francis Scott Key Memorial is a park and memorial located in the District of Columbia neighborhood of Georgetown; at the intersection of 34th and M Streets, NW. This 0.77 acre (3,104 m²) site is administered by the National Park Service as a part of Rock Creek Park, but is not contiguous with that park. Situated adjacent to the northeast corner of the Francis Scott Key Bridge, the park abuts to Chesapeake and Ohio Canal Towpath.
The Aqueduct Bridge (also called the Alexandria Aqueduct) was a bridge between Georgetown, Washington, D.C., and Rosslyn, Virginia. It was built to transport cargo-carrying boats on the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal in Georgetown across the Potomac River to the Alexandria Canal. The same eight piers supported two different bridges: a wooden canal bridge (a wooden roadway bridge was added on top of the canal later) and an iron truss bridge carrying a roadway and an electric trolley line. The bridge was closed in 1923 after the construction of the nearby Key Bridge. The shuttered Aqueduct Bridge was demolished in 1933.
Foundry Branch is a tributary stream of the Potomac River in Washington, DC. The historic headwaters of the stream originate in the Tenleytown area in Northwest Washington, however at present the section of the stream north of Massachusetts Avenue is hydrologically separated from the lower section and runs through a large stormwater pipe under the daylighted portion. The daylight portion of the stream can be seen south of Massachusetts Avenue, in Glover-Archbold Park, and the stream continues to the Potomac, which drains to the Chesapeake Bay.
The M Street Bridge, also known as the M Street Overpass, carries M Street across Rock Creek and the Rock Creek and Potomac Parkway. It lies between the neighborhoods of Georgetown and Foggy Bottom in Northwest Washington, D.C. The non-arched design of the bridge contrasts with that of all the other bridges rising over the parkway.
The L Street Bridge is a bridge carrying the Rock Creek and Potomac Parkway over Rock Creek in Washington, D.C. It is the most downstream of three bridges where the Parkway switches from one side of the river to the other, the others being the bridge near P Street and the Shoreham Hill Bridge. Despite its name, the bridge does not carry or cross L Street, but it is adjacent to L Street's western terminus.
The Rock Creek and Potomac Parkway Bridge near P Street is a bridge carrying the Rock Creek and Potomac Parkway across Rock Creek in Washington, DC. It is the middle of three bridges where the Rock Creek and Potomac Parkway switches from one side of the river to the other, the others being the L Street Bridge and the Shoreham Hill Bridge. The bridge is near the site of a historical river ford used by French soldiers traveling to Yorktown in 1781. The bridge is reinforced concrete faced in mica schist.
The Edward B. Bunn S.J. Intercultural Center commonly known as the Intercultural Center or ICC is a seven-story mixed use building on the main campus of Georgetown University named for Edward B. Bunn. The center was built in 1982 as the Photovoltaic Higher Education National Exemplar Facility in conjunction with a grant from the U.S. Department of Energy. The facility hosts numerous administrative offices, student facilities, and conference spaces, but is best known for its contribution to solar power development. Among the occupants of the building are the Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service, the Center for Contemporary Arab Studies, the Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Center for Muslim-Christian Understanding, and several departments of Georgetown College.
Georgetown Park is a mixed use shopping mall and condominium complex in the Georgetown historic district of Washington, D.C. The Shops at Georgetown Park are located at 3222 M Street, NW. In 2014, the complex received an $80 million renovation and is an important tourist attraction.