The Mrs. William B. Astor House was a mansion on Fifth Avenue in the Upper East Side neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City. It was located at 840 and 841 Fifth Avenue, on the northeast corner of 65th Street, completed in 1896 and demolished around 1926.
960 Fifth Avenue, also known as 3 East 77th Street, is a luxury apartment building on Fifth Avenue on the northeast corner of East 77th Street in Manhattan, New York.
NYC Building Identification Number: 1041816
The Robert Goldwater Library in the department of the Arts of Africa, Oceania, and the Americas, of The Metropolitan Museum of Art is a noncirculating research library dedicated to the documentation of visual arts of sub-Saharan Africa, the Pacific Islands, and Native and Precolumbian America. The library is open to adult researchers, including college and graduate students.
80th Street was a local station on the demolished IRT Second Avenue Line in Manhattan, New York City. It had three tracks and two side platforms. The next stop to the north was 86th Street. The next stop to the south was 72nd Street. The station closed on June 11, 1940.
The East 80th Street Houses are a group of four attached rowhouses on that street in the New York City borough of Manhattan. They are built of brick with various stone trims in different versions of the Colonial Revival architectural style.
NRHP reference number: 80002686
The Stable Gallery, originally located on West 58th Street in New York City, was founded in 1953 by Eleanor Ward. The Stable Gallery hosted early solo New York exhibitions for artists including Robert Indiana and Andy Warhol.
76th Street was a local station on the demolished IRT Third Avenue Line in Manhattan, New York City. It was originally built on December 9, 1878. The outer tracks served local trains and it had two side platforms. The center track was built as part of the Dual Contracts and was served by express trains. This station closed on May 12, 1955, with the ending of all service on the Third Avenue El south of 149th Street.
Coler Specialty Hospital is a chronic care facility on New York City's Roosevelt Island that provides services such as rehabilitation and specialty nursing. The hospital was formed in 1996 by the merger of two separate chronic care hospitals on Roosevelt Island. Goldwater Memorial Hospital, on the south end of the island, closed in 2013, while Bird S. Coler Hospital is still located on the north end of the island.
625 Park Avenue is a co-op residential building in the Lenox Hill neighborhood of Manhattan's Upper East Side at the intersection of East 65th Street and Park Avenue. It is noted for its spacious residences, well-known residents, and having the only triplex apartment in the classic pre-War Buildings of the Upper East Side.
NYC Building Identification Number: 1042414
730 Park Avenue is a historic residential building in Lenox Hill on the Upper East Side of Manhattan in New York City, USA. A cooperative, the building has 38 apartments.
NYC Building Identification Number: 1041333
The DNA Learning Center (DNALC) is a genetics learning center affiliated with the Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, in Cold Spring Harbor, New York. It is the world's first science center devoted entirely to genetics education and offers online education, class field trips, student summer day camps, and teacher training. The DNALC's family of internet sites cover broad topics including basic heredity, genetic disorders, eugenics, the discovery of the structure of DNA, DNA sequencing, cancer, neuroscience, and plant genetics.
The Americas Society is an organization dedicated to education, debate, and dialogue on the Americas. It is located at 680 Park Avenue on the Upper East Side of Manhattan, and was established by David Rockefeller in 1965. The Americas Society promotes the understanding of the economic, political, and social issues confronting Latin America, the Caribbean, and Canada; its mission is "to increase public awareness and appreciation of the diverse cultural heritage of the Americas and the importance of the inter-American relationship."
The Urban Academy Laboratory High School (also known as the Urban Academy) is a small, progressive, transfer public high school located on the Upper East Side of New York City. Founded in 1986, its goal was to create a place where students could learn in a nontraditional sense. In 1995, it became one of six small schools located in the Julia Richman Education Complex.
Park East Day School (officially called Rabbi Arthur Schneier Park East Day School) is a Jewish day school located on the Upper East Side of the Borough of Manhattan in New York City. It includes an early childhood program, an elementary school, and a middle school that graduates students after eighth grade.
Loyola School is a Jesuit high school on the Upper East Side of New York City, founded in 1900 by the Society of Jesus. Originally a Catholic boys school, Loyola became coeducational in 1973, becoming the only Jesuit co-ed college preparatory high school in the Tri-State Region. It has a student enrollment of two hundred, with an average class size of fifteen students. The school is located two city blocks east of Central Park and Museum Mile on 83rd Street and Park Avenue in Manhattan. St. Ignatius Church is in the same complex and is used for various school functions. The church is listed as a NYC landmark and the complex is listed as a National Historic Place. St. Ignatius Loyola School is an elementary school that also shares the complex but there is no official link between the schools.
930 Fifth Avenue is a luxury apartment building on Fifth Avenue on the northeast corner of East 74th Street in the Upper East Side of Manhattan, New York City. The eighteen-story structure and penthouse was designed by noted architect Emery Roth and built in 1940. According to architecture critic Paul Goldberger, 930 and 875 Fifth Avenue show Roth in transition from historicist to modern Art Deco style.
NYC Building Identification Number: 1041637
The ImaginAsian was a movie theater in midtown Manhattan, New York City, dedicated to exclusively showcasing Asian and Asian American films. Located on 59th Street between 2nd and 3rd Avenues, The ImaginAsian was owned by ImaginAsian Entertainment, which also operates ImaginAsian TV (a 24/7 cable network), ImaginAsian Radio, and iaLink, an online e-zine. All films shown at The ImaginAsian are in their original language and subtitled for English-speaking audiences.
67th Street was a local station on the demolished IRT Third Avenue Line in Manhattan, New York City. It had two tracks and two side platforms. 67th Street station opened on September 16, 1878 by the New York Elevated Railway Company, and was the terminus of the IRT Third Avenue Line until it was expanded to 89th Street on December 9, 1878. This station closed on May 12, 1955, with the ending of all service on the Third Avenue El south of 149th Street.
834 Fifth Avenue is a luxury residential housing cooperative in the Upper East Side of Manhattan, New York City. It is located on Fifth Avenue at the corner of East 64th Street opposite the Central Park Zoo. The limestone-clad building was designed by Rosario Candela, a prolific designer of luxury apartment buildings in Manhattan during the period between World War I and World War II. 834 Fifth Avenue is widely regarded as one of the most prestigious apartment houses in New York City. It has been called "the most pedigreed building on the snobbiest street in the country’s most real estate-obsessed city" in an article in the New York Observer newspaper. This status is due to the building's overall architecture, the scale and layout of the apartments, and the notoriety of its current and past residents. It is one of the finest buildings designed by Rosario Candela, according to The New York Times.
NYC Building Identification Number: 1041068
The Former Church of St. Mary is a former Roman Catholic parish church. Located at 202 East 69th Street in Manhattan, New York City, the parish was established in 1895; the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York closed it in 1999.
The Squadron A Armory is a former United States Army armory and was the home base of Squadron A. It took up the whole block between Madison Avenue and Park Avenue, between 94th and 95th Street. It was therefore also known as the Madison Avenue Armory. A surviving part of the building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as Madison Avenue Facade of the Squadron A Armory and is a New York City landmark.
NRHP reference number: 72000877
Sara Delano Roosevelt Memorial House is a building that was built in 1908 and listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. The Neo-Georgian townhouse was designed by Charles A. Platt for Sara Ann Delano Roosevelt in 1907. It originally held "two mirror-image residences with a single facade and entrance. Each first floor had its own front reception room with a welcoming fireplace. Rear parlors could be combined through sliding doors." The house was given to the Roosevelts by Franklin's mother as a wedding gift for them. The house was originally two homes and Franklin's mother had doors put in place so she could enter their part of the home whenever she wanted. The house was used by Sara Ann Delano Roosevelt from its completion in 1908 to her death in 1941, and intermittently by Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt from construction to their sale of the house to Hunter College in 1943. After his mother's death in 1941, President Roosevelt and his wife placed the house up for sale and a non-profit consortium was organized to purchase the house on behalf of Hunter College.
NRHP reference number: 80002713
The Browning School is an independent school for boys in New York City. It was founded in 1888 by John A. Browning. It offers instruction in grades kindergarten through 12th grade. The school is a member of the New York Interschool consortium.
84th Street was a local station on the demolished IRT Third Avenue Line in Manhattan, New York City. It was originally built on December 9, 1878. The station had two side platforms and was served by local trains only. This station closed on May 12, 1955, with the ending of all service on the Third Avenue El south of 149th Street.
MacDougall Hospital was a U.S. Army military hospital located at Fort Schuyler in New York City before and during the American Civil War.
92nd Street was a local station on the demolished IRT Second Avenue Line in Manhattan, New York City. It had three tracks and two side platforms. The next stop to the north was 99th Street. The next stop to the south was 86th Street. The station closed on June 11, 1940. Four blocks to the north mass transit service was replaced by the 96th Street station of the Second Avenue Subway.
Buck House was a gallery on Madison Avenue in the Carnegie Hill neighborhood of Manhattan’s Upper East Side. The gallery opened in November 2001 and was owned and operated by artist Deborah Buck.
Hunter College High School is a secondary school located in the Carnegie Hill neighborhood on the Upper East Side of Manhattan. It is administered by Hunter College of the City University of New York (CUNY). Hunter is publicly funded, and there is no tuition fee. Enrollment is approximately 1200 students. According to the school, "students accepted to Hunter represent the top one-quarter of 1% of students in New York City, based on test scores."
The Museum of Motherhood, also known as M.O.M, was conceived in 2003 and first opened to the public on Main St. in Dobbs Ferry, NY with a small exhibition gallery. The focus of the museum is to explore and understand American mothers, fathers, and families. M.O.M. was founded under the non-profit Motherhood Foundation Inc. 501c3, and has participated in events throughout New York state, including a village-wide display called "The Moms of Rock" in Seneca Falls, home of the Suffragette Movement (2010), as well as family activities each year at the Museum Mile Festival in New York City.
The Otto H. Kahn House is a mansion at 1 East 91st Street, in the Carnegie Hill section of the Upper East Side neighborhood in Manhattan, New York City. The structure was built between 1914 and 1918 as the New York City residence of Otto H. Kahn, a German-born financier and philanthropist.
The William Salomon House was a mansion located on 1020 Fifth Avenue in Manhattan, New York City.
The Lenox Library was a library incorporated and endowed in 1870. It was both an architectural and intellectual landmark in Gilded Age–era New York City. It was founded by bibliophile and philanthropist James Lenox, and located on Fifth Avenue between 70th and 71st Streets on the Upper East Side of Manhattan. Renowned architect Richard Morris Hunt designed the building, which was considered one of the city's most notable buildings, until its destruction in 1912.
Street address: 111 East 59th Street, New York, NY 10022 (from Wikidata)
785 Fifth Avenue, usually called the Park Cinq, (Park-V), is a luxury, cooperative apartment building on Fifth Avenue at the corner of 60th Street in Manhattan.
NYC Building Identification Number: 1040765
The Weill Cornell Graduate School of Medical Sciences (WCGS) (formerly known as the Cornell University Graduate School of Medical Sciences) is a graduate college of Cornell University that was founded in 1952 as an academic partnership between two major medical institutions in New York City: the Weill Cornell Medical College and the Sloan Kettering Institute. Cornell is involved in the Tri-Institutional MD-PhD Program with Rockefeller University and the Sloan Kettering Institute; each of these three institutions is part of a large biomedical center extending along York Avenue between 65th and 72nd Streets on the Upper East Side of Manhattan.
89th Street was a local station on the demolished IRT Third Avenue Line in Manhattan, New York City. It was originally built on December 9, 1878. The outer tracks were served by local trains and two side platforms. The center track was built as part of the Dual Contracts, it bypassed the station and served express trains. 89th Street station was the terminus of the IRT Third Avenue Line until it was expanded to 129th Street on December 30, 1878. This station closed on May 12, 1955, with the ending of all service on the Third Avenue El south of 149th Street. North of the station were connecting tracks to the 98th Street Yard.
St. Jean Baptiste High School is an all-female, private, Roman Catholic high school located on the Upper East Side of Manhattan in New York City. It is administered by the Congregation of Notre Dame of Montreal and located within the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York.
The John A. Hartford Foundation (JAHF or the Hartford Foundation) is a private United States-based philanthropy whose current mission is to improve the health of older Americans. For many years it made grants for research and education in geriatric medicine and other areas of health care, but has recently moved into aging-focused care delivery projects of a more applied nature.
The Russell Sage Foundation is an American non-profit organisation established by Margaret Olivia Sage in 1907 for “the improvement of social and living conditions in the United States.” It was named after her recently deceased husband, railroad executive Russell Sage. The foundation dedicates itself to strengthening the methods, data, and theoretical core of the social sciences in order to better understand societal problems and develop informed responses. It supports visiting scholars in residence and publishes books and a journal under its own imprint. It also funds researchers at other institutions and supports programs intended to develop new generations of social scientists. The foundation focuses on labor markets, immigration and ethnicity, and social inequality in the United States, as well as behavioral economics.
The Goethe-Institut New York is an organization that is located at 30 Irving Place in Manhattan, New York City. The organization is part of the worldwide Goethe-Institut non-profit association. It fosters cultural cooperation and promotes German language learning by offering the public opportunities to interact with themes and questions relevant to German culture and society. The institute provides grants for translation in subject areas like democracy, current regional and global issues, the cultural dimension of European integration, recent German history or outstanding works of contemporary German literature.
The Central Park Conservancy is a private, nonprofit park conservancy that manages Central Park under a contract with the City of New York and NYC Parks. The conservancy employs most maintenance and operations staff in the park. It effectively oversees the work of both the private and public employees under the authority of the publicly appointed Central Park administrator, who reports to the parks commissioner and the conservancy's president.
The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) is a non-profit organization dedicated to preventing cruelty to animals. Based in New York City since its inception in 1866, the organization's mission is "to provide effective means for the prevention of cruelty to animals throughout the United States."
The China Institute in America (Chinese: 華美協進社; pinyin: Huáměi Xiéjìnshè; lit. 'Sino-American Cooperation Advancement Society') is a nonprofit educational and cultural institution in New York City that was founded in 1926.
Doyle New York is an American auction house and appraiser of fine art, jewelry, furniture, decorations and other items. It offers approximately forty auctions each year at its premises on the Upper East Side of Manhattan.
Elaine's was a bar and restaurant in New York City that existed from 1963 to 2011. It was frequented by many celebrities, especially actors and authors. It was established and owned by, and named after, Elaine Kaufman, who was indelibly associated with the restaurant; Elaine's shut down several months after Kaufman died.
The American Academy of the Fine Arts was an art institution founded in 1802 in New York City, to encourage appreciation and teaching of the classical style. It exhibited copies of classical works and encouraged artists to emulate the classical in their work. The mayor of New York city at the time, Richard Varick, and Gulian Verplanck, a New York politician, were some of the Academy's original organizers. Younger artists grew increasingly restive under its constraint, and in 1825 left to found the National Academy of Design.
65th Street was a local station on the demolished IRT Second Avenue Line in Manhattan, New York City. It had three tracks and two side platforms. The next stop to the north was 72nd Street. The next stop to the south was 57th Street. The station closed on June 11, 1940.
A La Vieille Russie is a New York City-based antique store specializing in European and American antique jewelry, Imperial Russian works of art, 18th-century European gold snuff boxes, and objets d’art. Founded in Kiev in 1851, A La Vieille Russie later relocated to Paris around 1920 and to New York thereafter. From 1961 to 2017, the store was located at 781 Fifth Avenue, near the southeast entrance of Central Park.
Finch College was a baccalaureate women's college located in Manhattan, New York City, in the U.S. state of New York. It began as a private secondary school for girls and later developed as a liberal arts college. Finch closed in 1976.
Jane Kahan Gallery is an art gallery located in New York City that specializes in modern art. The gallery collection is founded on prints, monotypes, and multiples, including ceramics and works on paper by Pablo Picasso, and tapestries by artists such as Romare Bearden, Alexander Calder, Marc Chagall, Sonia Delaunay, Roberto Sebastián Matta, and Fernand Léger. Established by art dealer and collector Jane Kahan in 1973 following graduation from Mount Holyoke College, the gallery initially operated as Kahan Esikoff Fine Arts prior to changing the name to Jane Kahan Gallery. The gallery maintains its original space on the Upper East Side and an exhibition space in Lower Manhattan.
Congregation Beit Edmond (formerly named The Edmond J. Safra Synagogue; that is the name used to build a synagogue in Brooklyn) is an Orthodox Sephardic synagogue located on East 63rd Street off of Fifth Avenue in Manhattan, New York.
Congregation Kehilath Jeshurun (KJ or CKJ) is a Modern Orthodox synagogue, located on East 85th Street on the Upper East Side of the New York City borough of Manhattan. The synagogue was founded in 1872. The synagogue is closely affiliated with the Ramaz School. It shares a building with the lower school, and is across the street from the middle school.
The Jacob Ruppert Sr. House was a large mansion located on 1115 Fifth Avenue (now 1119 Fifth Avenue) on the southeast corner of East 93rd Street and Fifth Avenue, in the Upper East Side of Manhattan, New York City.
The Holy Trinity Church, St. Christopher House and Parsonage is a historic Episcopal church located at East 88th Street on the Upper East Side of Manhattan in New York, New York. The building was built in 1897.
NRHP reference number: 80002694
998 Fifth Avenue is a luxury cooperative on the Upper East Side of Manhattan, New York City located on Fifth Avenue at the northeast corner of East 81st Street.
NYC Building Identification Number: 1046660
995 Fifth Avenue is a 16-story co-op apartment building at 995 Fifth Avenue and East 81st Street on the Upper East Side of Manhattan, New York City, across Fifth Avenue from Central Park and the Metropolitan Museum of Art. It was constructed in 1926 as The Stanhope Apartment Hotel and designed by Rosario Candela. The building was converted to a residential co-op with 26 units in 2005 and renamed The Stanhope. It has since been renamed simply 995 Fifth Avenue.
NYC Building Identification Number: 1046650; website: https://extell.com/portfolio/995-fifth-avenue
Tau is a public artwork by American artist Tony Smith, located on the urban campus of Hunter College, in New York City, New York, United States. Fascinated by mathematics, biology and crystals, Smith designed Tau with geometry at its root.
The East 78th Street Houses are a row of five attached brick houses on that street in Manhattan, New York, United States. They are the remainder of an original group of 11 built in 1861, when the area was originally being developed due to the extension of rail transit into it.
NRHP reference number: 80002685
The Byron Gallery was an art gallery founded in 1961 by Charles Byron and was located on Madison Avenue, New York, New York in the United States. Byron Gallery exhibited primarily Surrealist masters, emerging contemporary painters and sculptors, and the occasional Old Masters and ancient art exhibit. The gallery closed in 1971.
The Yorkville Bank Building at 201–203 East 85th Street, 1511–1515 Third Avenue, Manhattan, New York City, was designed by Robert Maynicke. An example of Renaissance Revival architecture, it was built for the Yorkville Bank in 1905 and was designated a landmark by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission in 2012.
The Clarence Whitman Mansion is a historic townhouse on the Upper East Side of Manhattan in New York City, U.S. It was designed in the Renaissance Revival architectural style by Parish & Schroeder, and its construction was completed in 1898. It belonged to Sam Salz, an art dealer, from the 1940s to the 1970s. It was purchased by Bungo Shimada, a Japanese philanthropist, in 1990.
The New York Blood Center (NYBC) is a community, nonprofit blood bank based in New York City. Established in 1964 by Dr. Aaron Kellner, NYBC supplies blood to approximately 200 hospitals in the Northeast United States. NYBC and its operating divisions also provide transfusion-related medical services to over 500 hospitals nationally.
Congregation Or Zarua is a Conservative synagogue on the Upper East Side of Manhattan, New York City. Founded in 1989 by under two dozen congregants and Rabbi Harlan J. Wechsler, it completed construction of its current building in 2002. Led by rabbi Scott N. Bolton, its membership is approximately 325 families.
655 Park Avenue is a Georgian-style co-op residential building on Manhattan's Upper East Side, located on Park Avenue between 67th Street and 68th Street, adjacent to the Park Avenue Armory. It was developed in 1924 by Dwight P. Robinson & Company. The building at 655 Park Avenue was designed by architects James Edwin Ruthven Carpenter, Jr., often referred to by the initials "J.E.R. Carpenter", and Mott B. Schmidt. Carpenter is considered the leading architect for luxury residential high-rise buildings in New York City in the early 1900s, while Schmidt is known for his buildings in the American Georgian Classical style, including Sutton Place and houses for New York City's society figures and business elite.
NYC Building Identification Number: 1042467
The John Haynes Holmes Towers is a public housing project for low income residents of the Yorkville section of the Upper East Side located just south of the neighborhood's northern limit at 96th Street, in New York City, New York, United States. The neighboring Isaacs Houses and the Holmes Towers border East Harlem, which has the second highest concentration of public housing in the United States. The two public housing buildings, designed by Architects Eggers and Higgins, were completed in 1969, are 25 stories tall and contain 537 apartments. The project is located between 92nd and 93rd Streets from 1st Avenue to York Avenue and the FDR Drive.
The Child School / Legacy High School (TCS) is a state approved, private special education school in Manhattan, New York, United States that instructs students in grades K-12 with learning disabilities. Students are given appropriate accommodations so that they receive full access to a general education curriculum.
Hotel New Netherland (later Hotel Netherland) was located at the northeast corner of Fifth Avenue and 59th Street, in Manhattan, New York City, New York, in what is now the Upper East Side Historic District. It contained the Sherry's restaurant from 1919 until its demolition in 1927.
Casa 74, also known as 255 East 74th Street, is a 30-story, 87-apartment condominium building. It is situated at the corner of Second Avenue and East 74th Street on the Upper East Side of Manhattan, New York City.
NYC Building Identification Number: 1087912; website: http://www.255east74.com/
The Center for the History of Collecting is a research institute of the Frick Art Reference Library, which is attached to The Frick Collection. It promotes and sponsors the study of the history of collecting.
The Galerie Michael Werner is a German art gallery. It was started in Cologne, in Nordrhein-Westfalen in western Germany, in 1969 by Michael Werner, who had taken over the Galerie Hake there.: 505 Werner showed work by post-War German artists such as Georg Baselitz, Jörg Immendorff, A.R. Penck and Sigmar Polke.
The William A. Clark House, nicknamed "Clark's Folly", was a mansion located at 962 Fifth Avenue on the northeast corner of its intersection with East 77th Street on the Upper East Side of Manhattan, New York City. It was demolished in 1927 and replaced with a luxury apartment building (960 Fifth Avenue).
The Percy R. Pyne House (also known as the Percy Rivington Pyne House and Percy & Maud H. Pyne House) is a neo-Federal townhouse at 680 Park Avenue, located at the corner of Park Avenue and 68th Street in Manhattan.
Brasserie Julien was a brasserie-style French cuisine restaurant located at 1422 Third Avenue (between East 80th Street and East 81st Street) on the Upper East Side of Manhattan in New York City, as well as a jazz club. The establishment closed at the end of 2012.
550 Park Avenue is a luxury apartment building on Park Avenue on the Upper East Side of Manhattan, New York City, United States.
NYC Building Identification Number: 1040856
820 Fifth Avenue is a luxury cooperative located at the northeast corner of Fifth Avenue and East 63rd Street on the Upper East Side of Manhattan, New York City, United States.
NYC Building Identification Number: 1041015
The Lewis Gouverneur and Nathalie Bailey Morris House is a historic building on the Upper East Side of Manhattan in New York City. The five-story dark red brick house was built in 1913-14 as a private residence for Lewis Gouverneur Morris, a financier and descendant of Gouverneur Morris, a signer of the Articles of Confederation and United States Constitution, and Alletta Nathalie Lorillard Bailey. In 1917, Morris & Pope (Lewis Governeur Morris’ stock brokerage firm) is bankrupt but the family retains ownership of this house as well as their house in Newport, RI because his wife owned the property as collateral for a loan to him for his brokerage business. Alletta Nathalie Bailey Morris was a leading women's tennis player in the 1910s, winning the national indoor tennis championship in 1920.
NRHP reference number: 77000960
880 Fifth Avenue is a luxury apartment building on Fifth Avenue at the northeast corner of 69th Street in New York City. The Art-Deco-styled building has 21 floors and features 162 residential units. 880 Fifth Avenue is also one of the few Fifth Avenue buildings to have a garage.
NYC Building Identification Number: 1041291
The Payne Whitney Psychiatric Clinic (PWC) was a hospital in the Upper East Side of Manhattan, New York City, which was founded by an endowment bestowed by Payne Whitney (March 20, 1876 – May 25, 1927) upon his death. Whitney was an American businessman and member of the influential Whitney family. An eight-story free-standing hospital was constructed, and was affiliated with Cornell University's medical school, now called Weill Cornell Medicine, and with New York Hospital, now New York–Presbyterian Hospital (NYP), before its opening.
The Magic Towne House was a well-known magic show spot on three floors at 1026 Third Avenue, north of 60th Street, New York City, in the 1970s and 1980s. It was a venue for adults in the cabaret as well as having a children's theater for patrons of all ages to see and enjoy magic.
The East Side Hebrew Institute was a traditional Jewish day school, in the East Village/Alphabet City area of Manhattan, New York City. It was "once one of the major institutions of the Jewish East Side".
Street address: 295 East 8th Street, NYC, USA; 61 Irving Pl., NYC, USA; 337 East 4th Street, NYC, USA (from Wikidata)
The Bernard Museum of Judaica, formally the Herbert & Eileen Bernard Museum of Judaica is part of Temple Emanu-El on Manhattan's Upper East Side. Their museum hosts temporary exhibits on various aspects of Jewish life, faith, and culture.
The James B. Duke House is a mansion at 1 East 78th Street, on the northeast corner of Fifth Avenue, on the Upper East Side of Manhattan in New York City. The building was designed by Horace Trumbauer, who drew heavily upon the design of Château Labottière in Bordeaux. Constructed between 1909 and 1912 as a private residence for businessman James Buchanan Duke and his family, the building has housed the New York University (NYU)'s Institute of Fine Arts since 1959.
NRHP reference number: 77000956
1000 Park Avenue is an apartment building on the Upper East Side of the New York City borough of Manhattan. It is located at the northwest corner of the intersection of Park Avenue and East 84th Street. It was built in 1915–16 by the developers Bing & Bing from a design by Emery Roth. The brown brick structure is 13 stories tall with some Gothic-inspired stone and terra cotta decoration. Two carved figures in medieval dress near the main entrance are said to represent the Bing brothers. Across 84th Street is the Church of St. Ignatius Loyola.
NYC Building Identification Number: 1046822
The John Henry Hammond House is a mansion at 9 East 91st Street on the Upper East Side in New York City. Since 1994, the Consulate-General of Russia in New York City has been located there.
The Harold Pratt House is a mansion located on 58 East 68th Street and Park Avenue in the Upper East Side of New York City. It serves as headquarters for the Council on Foreign Relations. The house was constructed for Harold I. Pratt in the years 1919–1920. The Council on Foreign Relations moved to Pratt House in April 1945 after it was donated to the CFR by his widow Harriet Barnes Pratt the previous year. The house is available for receptions and other functions.
Street address: 58 East 68th Street (from Wikidata)
The Society of Illustrators is a professional society based in New York City. It was founded in 1901 to promote the art of illustration and, since 1959, has held an annual exhibition.
The William C. Whitney House was a mansion located on 871 Fifth Avenue and 68th Street in the Upper East Side of Manhattan, New York City.
1040 Fifth Avenue (informally known as the 10 40) is a luxury residential housing cooperative in the Upper East Side of Manhattan, New York City.
NYC Building Identification Number: 1046827
Sasabune is a Japanese sushi restaurant located at 401 East 73rd Street (between First Avenue and York Avenue) on the Upper East Side of Manhattan, in New York City.
City Hospital (also known as Island Hospital or Charity Hospital) was an historic hospital on Roosevelt Island, Manhattan in New York City.
NRHP reference number: 72000868
720 Park Avenue is a historic residential building in Lenox Hill on the Upper East Side of Manhattan in New York City, USA. A cooperative, the building has 34 apartments, a gymnasium and storage spaces. It is secured by a full-time doorman.
NYC Building Identification Number: 1041332
Convent of the Sacred Heart is an independent Roman Catholic all-girls school in the Manhattan borough of New York City. Teaching from pre-kindergarten through twelfth grade, it is located on Manhattan's Upper East Side at East 91st Street and Fifth Avenue.
The Hewitt School is an all girls independent K-12 school in New York City, New York. The school serves girls in three divisions: Lower School (K-4), Middle School (5-8), and Upper School (9-12).
825 Fifth Avenue is a luxury apartment building located on Fifth Avenue between East 63rd and East 64th Streets in the Lenox Hill neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City. It was built by the Paterno Brothers.
NYC Building Identification Number: 1041056
The Bodley Gallery was an art gallery in New York City, from the late 1940s through the early 1980s. The Bodley specialized in contemporary and modern art. David Mann was director of the gallery during its heyday and Mr. and Mrs. Raymond Braun (a.k.a. Georgie Duffee), were the owners.
The Church of St. John the Martyr was a Roman Catholic parish church in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at 250 East 72nd Street, Upper East Side, Manhattan, New York City, New York.
Albertine Books is a bookstore in Manhattan, New York. Opened in 2014, it offers the largest collection in the United States of French-language books and translations from French into English. It is located in the Payne Whitney House at 972 Fifth Avenue, between 78th and 79th Streets.
On March 11, 2018, a sightseeing helicopter crashed into the East River off the Upper East Side of Manhattan, New York City, killing 5 people. Two passengers died at the scene, and three others were pronounced dead at the hospital. The pilot escaped the helicopter following the crash. The aircraft was operated by Liberty Helicopters for FlyNyon. Two people were from New York state; another two were from Dallas, Texas; and the fifth was from Argentina. The pilot is from Connecticut.
The Assembly Hall is a 2,079-capacity performance venue located on the campus of Hunter College in Manhattan, New York City. The theater is mostly used for graduation ceremonies, large symposiums, or performances by the college's orchestra. The New York Philharmonic played at the hall while David Geffen Hall was considering undergoing renovations. The venue has hosted many notable music acts such as Pink Floyd, The Doors and Frank Sinatra.
The New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC), formed in 1965, is the New York City governmental commission that administers the city's Landmarks Preservation Law. Since its founding, it has designated over a thousand landmarks, classified into four categories: individual landmarks, interior landmarks, scenic landmarks, and historic districts.
The 12 rowhouses at 322–344 East 69th Street are located on the south side of that street between First and Second avenues on the Upper East Side of the New York City borough of Manhattan. They are Neo-Grec brownstone structures built around 1879, in two sets designed by different architects.
NRHP reference number: 84002793
The Pace Gallery is an American contemporary and modern art gallery with 9 locations worldwide. It was founded in Boston by Arne Glimcher in 1960. His son, Marc Glimcher, is now president and CEO. Pace Gallery operates in New York, London, Hong Kong, Palo Alto, Geneva, Seoul, East Hampton, and Palm Beach.
Congregation Shaare Zedek Cemetery was a small Jewish cemetery located on the south side of East 88th Street between Fourth (now Park) and Madison Avenues on the Upper East Side in Manhattan, and owned by Congregation Shaare Zedek on the Lower East Side. It opened in about 1847 on a lot that was just over 50 feet wide by 100 feet deep, and was filled to capacity by 1859.
The Permanent Mission of the Russian Federation to the United Nations in New York (Постоянное представительство Российской Федерации при ООН в г. Нью-Йорк) is a diplomatic mission of the Russian Federation to the United Nations with headquarters in New York.
59th Street station is a unused station located in the Park Avenue Tunnel used by the Metro-North Railroad for all of its trains. The station was built by the New York Central & Hudson River Railroad as part of an agreement with New York City. The station was built during the late 1870s, although trains never stopped here. Currently, the station is used as an emergency exit for Metro-North Railroad in the Park Avenue Tunnel.
The 72nd Street station is an abandoned station located in the Park Avenue Tunnel used by Metro-North Railroad for all of its trains. The station has two side platforms and is located in between 72nd Street and 73rd Street underneath Park Avenue on the Upper East Side of Manhattan. The station was built by the New York Central & Hudson River Railroad as part of an agreement with New York City.
La línea de la Calle 63 BMT (inglés:BMT 63rd Street Line) es una línea de metro de la división BMT del sistema metro de la ciudad de Nueva York. Opera desde una conexión con la línea Broadway en la Calle 57 y la Séptima Avenida norte y este hacia donde termina la Avenida Lexington–Calle 63, una cruce de aguja justo al oeste de la Avenida Lexington provee una conexión hacia la línea de la Calle 63 IND. Hay planes de expandirla al este y norte para unirla con la planeada línea T; juntas, estos servicios comprenderán la línea de la Segunda Avenida.
The Pierre hotel robbery was a January 2, 1972 robbery at The Pierre in New York City. The robbery netted $3 million (worth $27 million today), and was organized by Samuel Nalo, Robert "Bobby" Comfort, an associate of the Rochester Crime Family and Christie "the Tic" Furnari, an associate of the Lucchese Crime Family. The heist was carried out by several of Furnari's gang burglars. This robbery would later be listed in the Guinness Book of World Records as the largest, most successful hotel robbery in history.
Park Avenue is a wide New York City boulevard which carries north and southbound traffic in the borough of Manhattan. For most of the road's length in Manhattan, it runs parallel to Madison Avenue to the west and Lexington Avenue to the east. Park Avenue's entire length was formerly called Fourth Avenue; the title still applies to the section between Cooper Square and 14th Street. The avenue is called Union Square East between 14th and 17th Streets, and Park Avenue South between 17th and 32nd Streets.
Lexington Avenue, often colloquially abbreviated as "Lex", is an avenue on the East Side of the borough of Manhattan in New York City that carries southbound one-way traffic from East 131st Street to Gramercy Park at East 21st Street. Along its 5.5-mile (8.9-kilometer), 110-block route, Lexington Avenue runs through Harlem, Carnegie Hill, the Upper East Side, Midtown, and Murray Hill to a point of origin that is centered on Gramercy Park. South of Gramercy Park, the axis continues as Irving Place from 20th Street to East 14th Street.
First Avenue is a north-south thoroughfare on the East Side of the New York City borough of Manhattan, running from Houston Street northbound to 127th Street. At 125th Street, most traffic continues onto the Willis Avenue Bridge over the Harlem River, which continues into the Bronx. South of Houston Street, the roadway continues as Allen Street south to Division Street. Traffic on First Avenue runs northbound (uptown) only.
79th Street is a major two-way street on the Upper East Side and Upper West Side of the New York City borough of Manhattan. It runs in two major sections: between East End and Fifth Avenues on the Upper East Side, and between Columbus Avenue and Henry Hudson Parkway on the Upper West Side. The two segments are connected by the 79th Street transverse across Central Park, as well as one block of 81st Street.
72nd Street is one of the major bi-directional crosstown streets in New York City's borough of Manhattan. The street primarily runs through the Upper West Side and Upper East Side neighborhoods. It is one of the few streets to go through Central Park via Women's Gate, Terrace Drive, and Inventors Gate, though Terrace Drive is often closed to vehicular traffic.
Carnegie Hill Tower is a 32-story condominium building at 40 East 94th Street in the Upper East Side neighborhood of Manhattan in New York City.
NYC Building Identification Number: 1047171
The C. Ledyard Blair House was a mansion on 2 East 70th Street, at the corner with Fifth Avenue, on the Upper East Side of Manhattan in New York City. It was constructed for banker C. Ledyard Blair and designed by Carrère & Hastings. The house was constructed from 1914 to 1917 and occupied almost 7,300 square feet (680 m2). It was sold and demolished in 1927 to make way for an apartment house.
Orwasher's Bakery is a famous breadmaking business in New York City that has been listed among the top ten bakeries in America. Also known as A. Orwasher Handmade Bread Inc. it was established in 1916 on 78th Street in the Yorkville area of the New York City borough of Manhattan and it is now one of the last vestiges of the thriving immigrant population that lived in that area around the start of the 20th century.
The Ogden Mills House was a former mansion located on 2 East 69th Street in the Upper East Side of Manhattan in New York City.
The Laboratory for Bioregenerative Medicine and Surgery (LBMS) is a leading regenerative medicine research laboratory within the Department of Surgery at Weill Cornell Medical College in New York City. Under the leadership of its founder and director, Jason Spector, MD FACS, the LBMS has since its inception in 2006 focused its time and resources on the study of issues most directly relevant to reconstructive surgery. These involve pharmacologic means to reduce reperfusion injury, the use of therapeutic ultrasound for noninvasive venous ablation, and most notably, a novel approach for the creation of artificial tissues.
Lenox Hill Neighborhood House (the “Neighborhood House”) is a multi-service community-based organization that serves people in need on the East Side of Manhattan and on Roosevelt Island. Founded in 1894 as a free kindergarten for the children of indigent immigrants and as one of the first settlement houses in the nation, Lenox Hill Neighborhood House is the oldest and largest provider of social, legal and educational services on Manhattan's Upper East Side. Each year, they assist thousands of individuals and families who range in age from 3 to 103, represent dozens of races, ethnicities and countries of origin and "live, work, go to school or access services" on the East Side from 14th Street to 143rd Street and on Roosevelt Island. Their clients include indigent families and the working poor who live in the East Side's housing projects and tenements or who travel to the Upper East Side to work in low-wage jobs such as cashiers, housekeepers, nannies and laborers; 10,000 seniors; and hundreds of mentally ill homeless and formerly homeless adults. They have five locations between 54th and 102nd Streets, offer programs at dozens of East Side locations; their headquarters is located on East 70th Street.
The Julia Richman Education Complex (JREC) is an educational multiplex located in the Upper East Side neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City. Named after the district superintendent of schools, Julia Richman, it houses six autonomous small schools for approximately 1,800 Pre-K through 12th grade students in the former building of Julia Richman High School, a comprehensive high school that operated until 1995. The schools are operated by the New York City Department of Education.
Ithaka Harbors, Inc. is a US not-for-profit organization whose stated mission is to "help the academic community use digital technologies to preserve the scholarly record and to advance research and teaching in sustainable ways". It is the parent company of digital library website JSTOR, the digital preservation service Portico, and the research and consulting group Ithaka S+R. Ithaka was founded in 2003 by Kevin M. Guthrie. Ithaka's revenue was $86 million in 2014, most of it ($69 million) from JSTOR service fees.
The Jay Gould House was a mansion located at 857 Fifth Avenue at East 67th Street, on the Upper East Side of Manhattan, New York City.
92nd Street Y (92Y) is a cultural and community center located on the Upper East Side of Manhattan in New York City, at the corner of East 92nd Street and Lexington Avenue. Its full name is 92nd Street Young Men's and Young Women's Hebrew Association (YM-YWHA). It is not part of the YMCA.
95th Street runs from Riverside Drive, overlooking the Hudson River, to the East River, through the New York City borough of Manhattan. It traverses the neighborhoods of Upper West Side, Upper East Side, Carnegie Hill, and Yorkville; the street is interrupted by Central Park.
89th Street is a one-way street running westbound from the East River to Riverside Drive, overlooking the Hudson River, in the New York City borough of Manhattan. The street is interrupted by Central Park. It runs through the Upper West Side, Carnegie Hill and Yorkville neighborhoods.
927 Fifth Avenue is an upscale residential apartment building in Manhattan, New York City, United States. It is located on Fifth Avenue at the corner of East 74th Street opposite the Conservatory Water in Central Park. The limestone-clad building was designed by Warren & Wetmore, also known for the Grand Central Terminal, and completed in 1917 in the Renaissance Revival style.
NYC Building Identification Number: 1041523
66th Street is a crosstown street in the New York City borough of Manhattan with portions on the Upper East Side and Upper West Side connected across Central Park via the 66th Street transverse. West 66th Street is notable for hosting the Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts between Broadway and Columbus Avenue.
59E59 Theaters is a curated rental venue located in New York City that consists of three theater spaces or stages. It shows both Off-Broadway (in Theater A) and Off-Off-Broadway plays (in Theaters B and C). The complex is owned and operated by the Elysabeth Kleinhans Theatrical Foundation, a not-for-profit foundation that is dedicated to hosting live stage performances from across the country and around the world.
93rd Street runs from Riverside Drive, overlooking the Hudson River, to the East River, through the New York City borough of Manhattan. It traverses the neighborhoods of the Upper West Side, Upper East Side, Carnegie Hill, and Yorkville; the street is interrupted by Central Park.
The Rogosin Institute is an independent, not-for-profit treatment and research center with facilities throughout New York City that treat patients with kidney disease, including dialysis and kidney transplantation; lipid disorders; and hypertension. It is affiliated with NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, Weill Cornell Medical College and is a leader in research programs for cancer and diabetes.
The Stuyvesant Fish House is a brick and limestone Italianate mansion located at 25 East 78th Street, at the corner of Madison Avenue in New York City. It was constructed for railroad executive Stuyvesant Fish and designed by Stanford White of McKim, Mead and White in 1898.
74th Street is an east–west street carrying pedestrian traffic and eastbound automotive/bicycle traffic in the New York City borough of Manhattan. It runs through the Upper East Side neighborhood (in ZIP code 10021, where it is known as East 74th Street) and the Upper West Side neighborhood (in ZIP code 10023, where it is known as West 74th Street), on both sides of Central Park.
French Institute Alliance Française (FIAF) is a 501(c)(3) not–for–profit organization incorporated in the State of New York. Its mission is to enhance the knowledge and appreciation of French and Francophone culture, to increase the knowledge of the French language, and to encourage interaction among French, Francophone, and American people through programs in education and the arts.
The Hardenberg/Rhinelander Historic District is a small historic district in the Carnegie Hill neighborhood of the Upper East Side of Manhattan, New York City. It was created by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission on May 5, 1998, and consists of six brick, brownstone and terra cotta Northern Renaissance Revival rowhouses along Lexington Avenue between East 89th and 90th Streets, and one apartment building, referred to as "French Flats" at the time, on East 89th Street. All the buildings were constructed in 1888–1889.
The Cutler School of New York was a primary through college preparatory boys' school initially located at 713 6th Ave., between 23rd and 24th Street, only a few blocks from the Roosevelt home in Manhattan, New York City, New York. Classes were originally held on the second floor above Burns Oyster and Chop House.
The George Blumenthal House was a mansion located on 50 East 70th Street in New York City. It was constructed for George Blumenthal.
Von Steuben Day is a holiday traditionally held on a weekend in mid-September (von Steuben was born September 17), celebrating the Prussian-born Baron Friedrich von Steuben, who arrived in the United States as a volunteer offering his services to General George Washington in the American Revolutionary War. Von Steuben is still regarded as one of the most important German Americans, as his training of the young American troops made victory against the British possible and thus his work helped in gaining independence for the United States of America. The day is generally considered the German-American event of the year; celebrations focus on parades in which participants march, dance, and play music.
Hunter College Elementary School is a New York City elementary school for select students who reside in New York City, located on Manhattan's Upper East Side. Administered by Hunter College, a senior college of the City University of New York or CUNY, it is claimed that admission standards are higher than Ivy League colleges.
The George J. Gould House was a mansion at 857 Fifth Avenue on the northeast corner of 67th Street in the Upper East Side neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City.
The Henry Phipps House was a mansion located on 1063 Fifth Avenue in the Upper East Side in Manhattan, New York City.
The William Ziegler House was a mansion at 2 East 63rd Street in New York City. It was designed by Frederick Sterner in 1919 for William Ziegler Jr. and constructed by 1921.
The East 73rd Street Historic District is a block of that street on the Upper East Side of the New York City borough of Manhattan, on the south side of the street between Lexington and Third Avenues. It is a neighborhood of small rowhouses built from the mid-19th to early 20th centuries.
NRHP reference number: 82003374
The houses at 208–218 East 78th Street in Manhattan, New York, United States, are a group of six attached brick rowhouses built during the early 1860s, on the south side of the street between Second and Third Avenues. They are the remnant of 15 built along that street as affordable housing when the Upper East Side was just beginning to be developed.
Street address: 208-218 East 78th Street (from Wikidata)
NRHP reference number: 83001732
The Treadwell Farm Historic District is a small historic district located on parts of East 61st and East 62nd Street between Second and Third Avenues, in the Upper East Side neighborhood of the borough of Manhattan in New York City.
USGS GNIS ID: 2418031
The Colony was a restaurant in New York City known as a meeting place of café society. It was founded in 1919 by Joseph L. Pani, who later sold it to a group of employees. It closed in 1971.
On October 11, 2006, a Cirrus SR20 aircraft crashed into the Belaire Apartments in the Upper East Side of Manhattan, New York City, at about 2:42 p.m. EDT (18:42 UTC). The aircraft struck the north side of the building causing a fire in several apartments, which was extinguished within two hours.
Manhattan Vocational and Technical High School is a former high school located in New York City. It closed in the year 1984. It was located on east 96th street. In 1968 it was pad locked as a result of a teachers strike.
WNYW, virtual channel 5 (UHF digital channel 27), is the flagship station of the Fox television network, licensed to New York, New York, United States. Owned by the Fox Television Stations subsidiary of Fox Corporation, it is part of a duopoly with Secaucus, New Jersey-licensed MyNetworkTV flagship WWOR-TV (channel 9). Both stations share studios at the Fox Television Center on East 67th Street in Manhattan's Lenox Hill neighborhood, while WNYW's transmitter is located at One World Trade Center.
NRHP reference number: 85001522
Las Viviendas del 146-156 de East 89th Street es un edificio histórico ubicado en Nueva York, Nueva York. El Viviendas del 146-156 de East 89th Street se encuentra inscrito en el Registro Nacional de Lugares Históricos desde el 01982-06-03 3 de junio de 1982.
Street address: 146-156 East 89th Street (from Wikidata)
NRHP reference number: 82003378