Mill Cove is a small sea inlet in County Cork, Ireland. It lies approximately three kilometers to the east of the village of Glandore and 45 kilometers WSW of Cork. A kilometer North up the Ballyvireen, which flows into the cove, stands the ruined four storey fortified house, Coppingers Court. The inlet has, on its eastern side, a small wharf.
Ballineen and Enniskean railway station was on the West Cork Railway in County Cork, Ireland.
Bantry Town railway station was on the Cork and Bandon Railway in County Cork, Ireland.
Dunasead Castle (Dún na Séad in Irish, meaning Fort of the Jewels), sometimes known as Baltimore Castle, is a 17th-century fortified house situated in the town of Baltimore in western County Cork, Ireland. The tower house is built on the site of an earlier Norman-era structure, which itself replaced an earlier Bronze Age ringfort. Traditionally associated with the O'Driscoll family, it was purchased and restored by members of the McCarthy family in the late 1990s, and partially opened to the public from 2005.
Aughaville railway station, also called Aghaville, served the townland of Aghaville in County Cork, Ireland.
Bantry Pier railway station was on the Cork and Bandon Railway in County Cork, Ireland.
Creagh (BER) railway station was on the Baltimore Extension Railway in County Cork, Ireland.
Bantry (Irish: Beanntraí) is a barony in the west of County Cork in Ireland.Patrick Weston Joyce said the name Beanntraí means "descendants of Beann [Ban]", a son of Conchobar mac Nessa; similarly for the Wexford barony of Bantry. The barony borders the top end the southern shore of Bantry Bay. On the opposite shore is the barony of Bear. It is also bordered by Carbery West (West Division to the south and East Division to the southeast), and Muskerry West to the northeast. To the north is County Kerry.
The Baltimore Beacon is a white-painted stone beacon at the entrance to the harbour at Baltimore, County Cork, Ireland. The beacon was built at the order of the British government following the 1798 Rebellion. It was part of a series of lighthouses and beacons dotted around the Irish coast, forming a warning system.
Castletown-Kinneigh (Irish: Baile Chaisleáin Chinn Eich), also known simply either as Castletown or as Kinneigh, is a small rural village near Ballineen in County Cork, Ireland.
Whiddy Island (Irish: Oileán Faoide) is an island near the head of Bantry Bay in Ireland. It is approximately 5.6 km (3.5 mi) long and 2.4 km (1.5 mi) wide. The topography comprises gently-rolling glacial till, with relatively fertile soil. As late as 1880 the island had a resident population of around 450, mainly engaged in fishing and small-scale farming, but today the population has reduced to approximately 20 people. Previously home to Whiddy Island Naval Air Station, the island is noted for its oil terminal facilities – and the related Whiddy Island Disaster.
The French expedition to Ireland, known in French as the Expédition d'Irlande ("Expedition to Ireland"), was an unsuccessful attempt by the French Republic to assist the outlawed Society of United Irishmen, a popular rebel Irish republican group, in their planned rebellion against British rule during the French Revolutionary Wars. The French intended to land a large expeditionary force in Ireland during the winter of 1796–1797 which would join with the United Irishmen and drive the British out of Ireland. The French anticipated that this would be a major blow to British morale, prestige and military effectiveness, and was also intended to possibly be the first stage of an eventual invasion of Britain itself. To this end, the Directory gathered a force of approximately 15,000 soldiers at Brest under General Lazare Hoche during late 1796, in readiness for a major landing at Bantry Bay in December.
Shiro was a restaurant in Ahakista, County Cork, Ireland. It was a fine dining restaurant that was awarded one Michelin star each year in the period 1996–2001. The Michelin Guide awarded the restaurant the "Red M", indicating 'good food at a reasonable price', in the period 1988–1995. The Egon Ronay Guide awarded the restaurant one star in the period 1988–1989.: 345
Dursey Island (Irish: Baoi Bhéarra or Oileán Baoi) lies at the southwestern tip of the Beara Peninsula in the west of County Cork in Ireland. Dursey Island is 6.5 kilometres long and 1.5 kilometres wide. The island is separated from the mainland by a narrow stretch of water, Dursey Sound, which has a very strong tidal race, with the submerged Flag Rock close to the centre of the channel.
U.S. Naval Air Station Whiddy Island was a US naval air station operated during the last year of World War I and commissioned 4 July 1918. Located on Whiddy Island in Bantry Bay, County Cork, Ireland, it was also known as Bantry Bay Station. The base was used for anti-submarine warfare patrols by Curtiss H-16 seaplanes.
The Slieve Miskish Mountains are a small range of low sandstone mountains found at the extreme south-western tip of the Beara Peninsula of County Cork in Ireland. The name derives from the Irish "Sliabh Mioscais," "the Mountains of Malice." Unlike the Caha Mountains, which lie further north on the peninsula, the Slieve Miskish Mountains lie entirely on the Cork side of the peninsula, part of which belongs to County Kerry. There are only four named mountain peaks in the range: Knocknagallaun, 376 m; Knockgour, 481 m; Knockoura, 490 m; and Miskish Mountain, 386 m. They overshadow the main town on the peninsula, Castletownbere, as well as the village of Allihies on their western slope, which was once the centre of a thriving copper mining industry in the 19th century. The now-abandoned mines and surrounding buildings can still be seen on the mountain slopes above Allihies.
The Mealagh Valley is located just outside the town of Bantry, in the south-west of Ireland. It has one school. The Mealagh Valley is noted for its many Celtic monuments such as ringforts, tombs and standing stones. The Mealagh Valley is about 1.5 hours from Cork Airport. The Mealagh River runs through the centre of the valley with the Mealagh Béag (Irish, English translation: Small Mealagh), its only tributary. Mealagh is Gaelic for Honey as it has a large amount of wild bees in its environs.
O'Donovan Rossa or Skibbereen is a Gaelic football and hurling club based in Skibbereen, County Cork, Ireland. It participates in Cork GAA competitions. Traditionally, the club has been much more successful in Gaelic football. It won its only Cork Senior Football Championship in 1992 and subsequently won the All-Ireland Senior Club Football Championship after beating Éire Óg of Carlow in the final. The club participates in the Carbery division of Cork GAA.
Durrus Road railway station was on the Cork and Bandon Railway in County Cork, Ireland.
The Argideen River is a minor river in West Cork, Ireland. Its source is at Reenascreena and it flows for 23 kilometres to the estuary at Timoleague, joining the Celtic Sea at the village of Courtmacsherry.
The Dunmanway killings, also known as Bandon Valley Killings, the Dunmanway murders or the Dunmanway massacre, refers to the killing (and in some cases, disappearances) of fourteen males in and around Dunmanway, County Cork and Bandon Valley, between 26–28 April 1922. This happened in a period of truce after the end of the Irish War of Independence (in July 1921) and before the outbreak of the Irish Civil War in June 1922. Of the fourteen dead and missing, twelve Protestants, one Methodist and one Roman Catholic, which has led to the killings being described as by some as sectarian but no evidence exists to prove this. Six were killed as purported British informers and loyalists, while four others were relatives killed in the absence of the target. Three other men were kidnapped and executed in Bandon as revenge for the killing of an IRA officer Michael O'Neill during an armed raid. One man was shot and survived his injuries.
Rock Island (Irish: Oileán na Carraige) is a promontory in West Cork, Ireland, situated about 2 kilometres (1.2 mi) south of the village of Goleen, at the entrance to the inlet of Crookhaven.
Madore railway station was on the Ilen Valley Railway in County Cork, Ireland.
The Schull and Skibbereen Railway (also known as the Schull and Skibbereen Tramway and Light Railway) was a minor narrow gauge railway in County Cork, Ireland. It opened in 1886 and closed in 1947. The track gauge was a 3 ft (914 mm) narrow gauge. The formal name of the company was The West Carberry Tramways and Light Railways Company Ltd.
The siege of Dunboy took place at Dunboy Castle between 5 June and 18 June 1602, during the Nine Years' War in Ireland. It was one of the last battles of the war. An English army of up to 5,000 under George Carew besieged the castle, which was held by a Gaelic Irish force of 143 loyal to Donal Cam O'Sullivan Beare. The English took the castle after eleven days and most of the survivors were hanged. The English also captured a fort on nearby Dursey Island.
The Michael Collins Birthplace is a cottage and National Monument located in County Cork, Ireland. It was the birthplace of Irish revolutionary leader Michael Collins (1890–1922).
West Cork (Irish: Iarthar Chorcaí) is a tourist region and municipal district in County Cork, Ireland. As a municipal district, West Cork falls within the administrative area of Cork County Council, and includes the towns of Bantry, Castletownbere, Clonakilty, Dunmanway, Schull and Skibbereen, and the villages of Baltimore, Ballydehob, Courtmacsherry, Drimoleague, Durrus, Glengarriff, Leap, Rosscarbery, Timoleague and Union Hall.
Sherkin Island, historically called Inisherkin (Irish: Inis Arcáin), lies southwest of County Cork in Ireland alongside other islands of Roaringwater Bay. It had a population of 111 people at the time of the 2016 Census, and measures five kilometres (three miles) long by 2.5 kilometres (1+1⁄2 miles) wide. The island has two pubs, a hotel, a bed and breakfast, a community centre, a coffee shop, and a Roman Catholic church.
The Sack of Baltimore took place on 20 June 1631, when the village of Baltimore in West Cork, Ireland, was attacked by pirates from the Barbary Coast of North Africa – Dutchmen, Algerians and Ottoman Turks. The attack was the largest by Barbary slave traders on Ireland.
Bere Island or Bear Island (Irish: Oiléan Béarra, although officially called An tOileán Mór meaning "the big island") is an island in Bantry Bay off the Beara Peninsula in County Cork, Ireland. It spans roughly 10 km x 3 km, with an area of 17.68 km², and, as of 2012, had a population of between 210 and 220 people.
Leap (; Irish: Léim Uí Dhonnabháin or An Léim) is a village in County Cork, Ireland, situated at the north end of Glandore Harbour, several miles inland from the seacoast. Leap is located on the N71 national secondary road which runs through West Cork from Cork city. It is in the parish of Kilmacabea which also includes Glandore village.
Ballylickey House is a defunct restaurant in Ballylickey, County Cork, Ireland. It was a fine dining restaurant that was awarded one Michelin star in 1975. The Egon Ronay Guide awarded the restaurant one star during the 1975–1982 period.
Bear (or Bere; Irish: Béarra) is a barony in the most westerly part of County Cork, Ireland. It comprises approximately two thirds of the Beara peninsula from the western tip along the whole northern shore part of Bantry bay to Glengariff. The remaining third to the north-east is the neighbouring barony of Glanarought in County Kerry. The barony's only other neighbour is that of Bantry to the east. To the north, it is bounded by the Kenmare River
The Church of St James the Apostle, commonly referred to as St James' Church, is a small Gothic Revival Anglican church located in Durrus, County Cork, Ireland. It was completed in 1792. It is dedicated to James the Great. It is part of the Kilmocomogue Union Of Parishes, in the Diocese of Cork, Cloyne, and Ross.
Mews was a restaurant in Baltimore, County Cork, Ireland. It was awarded a Michelin star in 2019.
U.S. Naval Air Station Berehaven was a Lighter-than-Air (LTA) kite balloon station at Berehaven, County Cork, Ireland that the United States Navy (USN) operated in the First World War. It was commissioned on 29 April 1918 and decommissioned on 12 February 1919.
Dunmanway Castle (Irish: Dún Mánmhaí) was a late 15th century tower house that once stood on the north bank of the Sally (Saileach) River in the town of Dunmanway. It was the chief residence of the MacCarthys of Gleannacroim, before being forfeited in the late-17th century and granted to Cromwellian Lt-Colonel William Arnopp. Some speculation exists around the demolition of the building after it was sold to the Cox family in 1692 with lore suggesting the stone was used for the erection of a flour-mill.
Carbery Rangers is a Gaelic football club in Rosscarbery in County Cork, Ireland. It plays in games organised by Cork county board. It is one of the oldest clubs in Cork, having been founded in 1887. It currently competes in the Cork Senior Football Championship, and in the Carbery GAA division competitions. The club does not field any hurling teams.
Muintir Bháire GAA is a Gaelic Athletic Association club based in Durrus, County Cork, Ireland. The club fields teams in Gaelic football only. The club take part in competitions organized by Carbery division of Cork.
Kilbree are a Junior A hurling club from the south-west division (Carbery GAA) of County Cork, Ireland. Their sister club in Gaelic football is Kilmeen which competes at Junior A level. The club participates in Carbery and Cork competitions.
Gabriel Rangers is a Gaelic Athletic Association club based in the villages of Schull, and Ballydehob in County Cork, Ireland. The club fields team in both Gaelic football and hurling. The club has won 7 all Ireland senior hurling titles.
Kilmeen GAA are a Junior A Gaelic football club from the south-west division (Carbery GAA) of County Cork, Ireland. The club competes in Carbery and Cork competitions. Their sister club in Hurling, Kilbree competes at Junior A level as of 2007.
The Randal Óg Gaelic Athletic Association club was founded in 1953,and is located in Ballinacarriga, County Cork, Ireland, near Dunmanway in the southwest of the county. The club currently competes at Junior A in Gaelic football and Junior B in hurling. A book entitled "Finding Fifteen, The History of Randal Óg Hurling and Football Club" was published in 2007 to mark the fiftieth anniversary of the founding of the club. The club combines with Dohenys at underage levels of competition. Randal Óg is part of the Carbery division of Cork GAA.
Bantry Blues is a Gaelic football club based in Bantry, County Cork, Republic of Ireland. The club is affiliated with Cork GAA and to the Carbery division. The club has always been primarily a Gaelic football club, but has fielded hurling teams also. In 2010, the hurling section was reformed.