Whitmoor Common is a 166-hectare (410-acre) biological Site of Special Scientific Interest on the northern outskirts of Guildford in Surrey. It is part of the Thames Basin Heaths Special Protection Area and the 184.9-hectare (457-acre) Whitmoor and Rickford Commons Local Nature Reserve, which is owned by Surrey County Council and managed by the Surrey Wildlife Trust.
Surrey () is a county in South East England which borders Kent to the east, East Sussex to the southeast, West Sussex to the south, Hampshire to the west, Berkshire to the northwest, and Greater London to the northeast. With about 1.2 million people, Surrey is the twelfth most populous English county, the third most populous home county, after Kent and Essex, and the third most populous in the Southeast, after Hampshire and Kent.
The Surrey Research Park is a large research park in Guildford, Surrey. The Surrey Research Park has been planned, developed, funded and managed by the University of Surrey which operates the park as a wholly owned University Enterprise Unit.
The Sports Ground, Woodbridge Road is a cricket ground in Guildford, Surrey. The ground was given to the town in trust in 1911 by Sir Harry Waechter, Bart. Guildford Cricket Club play their home matches on the ground. Surrey CCC play at least one County Championship match there each season, as well as some second XI and Surrey Stars fixtures. Until comparatively recently, hockey was played on the ground in winter. The ground was also used for football until at least 1921. It was the home ground of the amateur team Guildford F.C. who existed until 1953 (not to be confused with the professional Guildford City team who played at Josephs Road) and was also used as the venue for some Surrey Senior Cup finals.
The Howard of Effingham School is a co-educational secondary school and sixth form with academy status. It is located in the village of Effingham, Surrey, to the west of Little Bookham. The school is part of the Howard Partnership Trust, a Multi-Academy Trust which includes four secondary and five primary schools.
Piney Copse is 1.7 hectares (4.2 acres) of woodland located approximately 450 metres (1,480 ft) east of Gomshall railway station and north of the Surrey village of Abinger Hammer. The copse is bisected by a public footpath. It was once owned by E. M. Forster, who used to live nearby and purchased the wood using funds from book sales - principally from A Passage to India - in order to prevent it from being developed into housing. When Forster died in 1970, he transferred ownership of the land in his will to the National Trust. In 1926 Forster wrote a short essay about Piney Copse in "Abinger Harvest", entitled "My Wood".
Knowl Hill School is an independent school located in the village of Pirbright in Surrey. Knowl Hill is a co-educational (mixed gender) school. There is a Junior school with pupils from years 3 to year 8, and a Senior school with years 8 to 11. It is a relatively small school with up to 67 pupils. Speech and Language Therapy and Occupational Therapy is provided on site, and integrated into the lessons as well as being offered on a 1:1 basis. Teaching is multi-sensory in style and dyslexia friendly. Following the creation of an art block, the school also places some emphasis on the visual arts. Although the school is in Surrey, pupils come from different Local Educational Authorities, for example Kingston upon Thames, West Sussex and Hampshire.
Lanesborough School is an independent, preparatory school in Guildford, Surrey, England. The school was established in 1930 and acts as the choir school for Guildford Cathedral. Lanesborough is an important feeder school for RGS Guildford.
The village of Merrow, in Surrey, England in the 21st century constitutes the north-east suburb of Guildford. It is however centred 2 miles (3.2 km) from the town centre, right on the edge of the ridge of hills that forms the North Downs. Although now a relatively anonymous suburb, the village can trace its origins back many hundreds of years. According to the Institute for Name-Studies, Merrow means 'fat', literally, "probably referring to the high fertility of the land".
Surrey Hills is a 422 km2 (163 sq mi) Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) which covers one quarter of the county of Surrey, England. The AONB was designated in 1958 and adjoins the Kent Downs AONB to the east and the South Downs National Park in the south west.
Newark Priory is a ruined priory on an island surrounded by the River Wey and its former leat (the Abbey Stream) near the boundary of the village (parish lands) of Ripley and Pyrford in Surrey, England.
Pewley Hill is a hill, and a street so named, near Guildford in England. It links to the open space at Pewley Down and was used as the site of a semaphore station and a defensive fort in the nineteenth century. In the late 19th and early 20th centuries much of the land was built upon.
Prior's Field is an independent girls' boarding and day school in Guildford, Surrey in the south-east of England. It is set in 42 acres of parkland, 34 miles south-west of London and adjacent to the A3, which runs between the capital and the south coast.
Ripley Court School is a 2 form entry mixed fee paying primary school located in the village of Ripley, in the English county of Surrey. Its campus partly comprises Grade II listed buildings.
Silent Pool is a spring-fed lake at the foot of the North Downs, about 6.5 kilometres (4 mi) east of Guildford in Surrey. It is managed together with the nearby Newlands Corner by the Surrey Wildlife Trust, within the privately owned Albury Estate. The outflow from Silent Pool runs into a second, adjacent, lake, Sherbourne Pond, created in the mid-seventeenth century. In turn the outflow from the Sherbourne Pond feeds the Sherbourne Brook, a tributary of the Tilling Bourne.
The Royal Grammar School, Guildford (originally 'The Free School'), commonly known as the RGS, is a selective independent day school for boys in Guildford, Surrey in England. The school dates its founding to the death of Robert Beckingham in 1509 who left provision in his will to 'make a free scole at the Towne of Guldford'; in 1512 a governing body was set up to form the school. The school moved to the present site in the upper High Street after the granting of a royal charter from King Edward VI in 1552. Around that time, its pupils were playing cricket and their activity was later documented as the earliest definite reference to the sport. The school's Old Building, constructed between 1557 and 1586, is the home of a rare example of a chained library. It was established on the death of John Parkhurst, Bishop of Norwich, in 1575. Although defined as a 'free' school, the first statutes of governance, approved in 1608, saw the introduction of school fees, at the rate of 4 shillings per annum, along with the school's first admissions test. During the late 19th century the school ran into financial difficulty, which nearly resulted in its closure. A number of rescue options were explored, including amalgamation with Archbishop Abbott's School. Funds were eventually raised, however, which allowed the school to remain open, although boarding was no longer offered.
The Royal Surrey County Hospital (RSCH) is a 520-bed District General Hospital, located on the fringe of Guildford, run by the Royal Surrey NHS Foundation Trust.
Seale and Sands is a civil parish in the Guildford District Council area of Surrey, England with a population of 887. The principal settlement is Seale; other places include Sandy Cross and The Sands.
Shalford Mill is an 18th-century Grade II* listed watermill located on the River Tillingbourne in Shalford, near Guildford, Surrey, England. In 1932, the mill was endowed to the National Trust by a group of eccentric young female philanthropists called Ferguson's Gang.
St Martha's Hill is a landmark in St Martha in Surrey, England between the town of Guildford and village of Chilworth. It is the 18th highest hill in the county and on the Greensand Ridge, in this case at the closest point to the North Downs, commencing to the immediate north at the Guildown-Merrow Down in the parishes of Guildford and Merrow. The top of the hill provides a semi-panorama of Newland's Corner also in the Surrey Hills AONB. Its church is the main amenity of the small parish extending to the south into the streets of Chilworth, with some medieval stone incorporations from a 12th-century predecessor (rebuilt 1848-1850 by Henry Woodyer) and is a wedding venue mainly to outside the sparsely populated parish.
St Martha is a hillside, largely wooded, small civil parish in the Guildford borough of Surrey towards the narrower part of the west half of the North Downs. It includes three homes north of St Martha's Hill, a southern knoll of the range of hills but almost all its population is south of this, in much of the village: Chilworth which is divided between it and Shalford parish. This results in an overlapping of areas where it is wished to consider the village of Chilworth (being hereto-before considered a hamlet). Chilworth gunpowder works mark the southern border of the entity, and are a well-preserved, publicly accessible area of bourne-side former industry, which helped to provide much of Surrey's contribution toward the gunpowder for many years of the British Empire.
St Teresa's Effingham is a selective, independent boarding and day school for girls aged 2–18 in Effingham, Surrey, England, established in 1928. It is a member of the Girls' Schools Association.
Stoke Park is a large area of parkland on the edge of the town centre of Guildford, Surrey, England donated to Guildford by the Lord Onslow in 1925 with the express wish that it "remain for all time a lung of the town". Between London Road and Parkway, two of the four arterial roads to the A3, Stoke Park is the largest park within the town signed area of Guildford. It is also a Green Flag award winning park. The park and its woodland have remained more or less intact since they were laid out in the 18th-century. Then, there was the manor house which owned slightly more land remaining from the manor of Stoke-next-Guildford, complete with walled garden and icehouse.
Tormead School is an independent day school for girls aged 4–18 years old in Guildford, Surrey, England. It comprises a junior school, senior school and sixth form.
Watts Gallery – Artists' Village is an art gallery in the village of Compton, near Guildford in Surrey. It is dedicated to the work of the Victorian-era painter and sculptor George Frederic Watts.
The Watts Cemetery Chapel or Watts Mortuary Chapel is a chapel in an Art Nouveau version of Celtic Revival style in the village cemetery of Compton in Surrey. While the overall architectural structure is loosely Romanesque Revival, in the absence of any appropriate Celtic models, the lavish decoration in terracotta relief carving and paintings is Celtic Revival, here seen on an unusually large scale. According to the local council, it is "a unique concoction of art nouveau, Celtic, Romanesque and Egyptian influence with Mary's own original style". Other responses have been less positive. Ian Nairn, in the 1971 Surrey volume of the Buildings of England series, described the interior as "one of the most soporific rooms in England" and regretted "the intolerable torpor and weariness of the motifs". It is a Grade I listed building.
Wood Street Village is a clustered and linear village in Surrey, England with a village green, buffered by Metropolitan Green Belt on all sides. It is centred 3 miles (4.8 km) west of Guildford and is part of the civil parish of Worplesdon (where the 2011 Census population was included), as well as continuing to be served semi-dependently as a chapelry of the Church of England.
Wyke is a rural and suburban village in Surrey, England. Its local government district is the Borough of Guildford. The nearest town is Aldershot, 2 miles (3.2 km) west although the large village/town of Ash, Surrey is 1 mile (1.6 km) west and has more shops than smaller Wyke and adjacent Normandy combined. Normandy, Surrey is also dispersed yet is typically marked just 0.25 miles (0.40 km) east, near its manors. Normandy, Flexford and Christmas Pie share the parish church of Wyke, being relatively central to the four former hamlets. Wyke shares in the sports associations and community groups of Normandy.
The Yvonne Arnaud Theatre is a theatre located in Guildford, Surrey, England. Named after the actress Yvonne Arnaud, it presents a series of locally produced and national touring productions, including opera, ballet and pantomime. The theatre has two performance venues, the main auditorium and the smaller Mill Studio.
Guildford County School (GCS) is a co-educational day school on Farnham Road (A31), Guildford, England, 200 metres from Guildford town centre. It has around 1050 students enrolled, including the Sixth Form. It is run by its headmaster Steve Smith.
Hatchlands Park is a red-brick country house with surrounding gardens in East Clandon, Surrey, England, covering 170 hectares (430 acres). It is located near Guildford along the A246 between East Clandon and West Horsley. Hatchlands Park has been a Grade I listed property since 1967. The gardens were Grade II listed in 2007.
Holy Trinity Church is an Anglican church in the centre of Guildford, England. A large, red brick building, it was built in the early 1760s on the site of a mediaeval church which collapsed in the mid-18th century. It is the only large Georgian church in Surrey, sporting detailed frescos of the Crucifixion surrounded by the Saints and the Ascended Lord in Heaven, as well as one of the largest unsupported ceilings in southern England. It is a Grade I listed building.
The Army Training Centre (ATC) at Pirbright in Surrey provides Phase 1 military training for elements of the British Army.
St Peter's Catholic School, colloquially known as St Peter's, is a comprehensive secondary school in Guildford, Surrey, England. St Peter's receives Surrey County Council funding and is eligible for educational grants, parent-teacher association funding and the Diocesan funding, having approved voluntary aided status.
Chilworth Manor is a historic country house located midway between Chilworth, Surrey and St Martha's Hill to the north. The manor is grade II listed by Historic England.
Farnham Road Hospital is a mental health hospital in Guildford, Surrey. It is managed by Surrey and Borders Partnership NHS Foundation Trust. The main building is a Grade II listed building.
St Mary's Church is an Anglican church in Guildford in Surrey, England; the church's Anglo-Saxon tower is the oldest surviving structure in the town. Charles Lutwidge Dodgson, the author Lewis Carroll, preached here and his funeral was held in the church in 1898. Coming under the Diocese of Guildford, the church has been Grade I listed since 1953.
Guildford Castle is in Guildford, Surrey, England. It is thought to have been built shortly after the 1066 invasion of England by William the Conqueror.
Guildford ( (listen)) is a town in Surrey, England, 27 miles (43 km) southwest of London on the A3 trunk road midway between the capital and Portsmouth.
Wanborough railway station is in Flexford, Surrey, England. It serves the villages of Normandy to the north and Wanborough to the south.
The University of Surrey is a public research university in Guildford, England. The university received its royal charter in 1966, along with a number of other institutions following recommendations in the Robbins Report. The University of Surrey began as the Battersea Polytechnic Institute founded in 1891 under the City of London Parochial Charities Act (1883) scheme to establish Polytechnic Institutes throughout London. The university's research output and global partnerships have led to it being regarded as one of the UK's leading research universities.
Guildford railway station is at one of three main railway junctions on the Portsmouth Direct Line and serves the town of Guildford in Surrey, England. It is 30 miles 27 chains (48.8 km) down the line from London Waterloo.
The Cathedral Church of the Holy Spirit, Guildford, commonly known as Guildford Cathedral, is the Anglican cathedral at Guildford, Surrey, England. Richard Onslow donated the first 6 acres of land on which the cathedral stands, with Viscount Bennett, a former Prime Minister of Canada, purchasing the remaining land and donating it to the cathedral in 1947. Designed by Edward Maufe and built between 1936 and 1961, it is the seat of the Bishop of Guildford.
The Borough of Guildford is a local government district with borough status in Surrey, England. With around half of the borough's population, Guildford is its largest settlement and only town, and is the location of the council.
Loseley Park is a large Tudor manor house with later additions and modifications 3 miles (4.8 km) south-west of Guildford, Surrey, England in Artington close to the hamlet of Littleton. The estate was acquired by the direct ancestors of the current owners, the More-Molyneux, at the beginning of the 16th century. The house built for Sir William More is a Grade I listed building, the highest rank in architecture or heritage. Loseley appears in Domesday Book of 1086 as Losele. It was held by Turald (Thorold) from Roger de Montgomery. Its domesday assets were: 2 hides. It had 4 ploughs, 5 acres (20,000 m2) of meadow. It rendered £3. The papers of Sir Thomas Cawarden, Master of the Revels were formerly preserved in the house. Loseley Park is still the residence of the More-Molyneux family and is open to the public. The 17th century tithe barn is available for weddings.
London Road (Guildford) railway station is situated in the east of Guildford in Surrey, England, lying close to the suburbs of Merrow and Burpham. It is 28 miles 47 chains (46.0 km) down the line from London Waterloo.
Horsley railway station is located in the village of East Horsley in Surrey, England. It is 22 miles 16 chains (35.7 km) down the line from London Waterloo, and also serves the village of West Horsley, as well as the nearby villages of Ockham and Ripley.
Ash railway station serves the village of Ash in Surrey, England. The station is served by South Western Railway, who manage the station, and by Great Western Railway. It is situated on the Ascot to Guildford line and the North Downs Line, 36 miles 34 chains (58.6 km) from London Waterloo.
Effingham Junction railway station is just north of the far northern border of the village of Effingham, closer to the centre of East Horsley, homes of which it borders, in Surrey, England. Although the station takes its name from the former settlement, and the immediate vicinity has itself become known as Effingham Junction, it is actually in the latter. Effingham Junction is at the junction of the New Guildford Line, from London Waterloo to Guildford, and the line from Leatherhead, which carries trains from Waterloo via Epsom. It is 21 miles 10 chains (34.0 km) down the line from Waterloo.
Shere is a village in the Guildford district of Surrey, England 4.8 miles (7.7 km) east south-east of Guildford and 5.4 miles (8.7 km) west of Dorking, centrally bypassed by the A25. It is a small still partly agricultural village chiefly set in the wooded 'Vale of Holmesdale' between the North Downs and Greensand Ridge with many traditional English features. It has a central cluster of old village houses, shops including a blacksmith and trekking shop, tea house, art gallery, two pubs and a Norman church. Shere has a CofE infant and nursery school with 'outstanding academic results' (Ofsted 2015) catering for 2- to 7-year-old children which serves the village and surrounding villages and towns, and a museum which opens most afternoons at weekends.
Normandy is a civil parish of 16.37 square kilometres (4,050 acres) in the borough of Guildford in Surrey, England and the name of the largest village in that parish. Almost surrounded by its hill ranges, Normandy is in the plain west of Guildford, straddles the A323 'Aldershot Road' and is north of the narrowest part the North Downs known as the Hog's Back which carries a dual carriageway. The parish in 2011 had a population of 2,981 living in 1,310 households, has woods, a public common and four government-operated commons to the north that are an SSSI heath. Normandy has been home to a number of notable residents, including William Cobbett.
Chilworth railway station serves the village of Chilworth, Surrey, England. The station, and all trains serving it, are operated by Great Western Railway. It is on the North Downs Line, 39 miles 15 chains (63.07 km) measured from London Charing Cross via Redhill.
North Camp railway station is situated in the civil parish of Ash in Surrey, England. It takes its name from the nearby North Camp area of Farnborough, Hampshire.
Ripley is a village in Surrey, England. The village has existed since Norman times – the chancel of the church of St. Mary Magdalen shows construction of circa 1160 there and supporting feet of fines and ecclesiastical records mention the village at the time. Ripley's sister village of Send to the south-west was the governing parish over the village for over 700 years until 1878 when they became two separate ecclesiastical parishes; they became separate civil parishes in 1933.
Shalford railway station serves the village of Shalford, Surrey, England. The station, and all trains serving it, are operated by Great Western Railway. It is on the North Downs Line. The station is 41 miles 2 chains (66.0 km) from Charing Cross, and has two platforms, which can each accommodate a six-coach train. To the west is Shalford Junction, 41 miles 60 chains (67.2 km) from Charing Cross, where the North Downs Line meets the Portsmouth Direct Line 31 miles 42 chains (50.7 km) from Waterloo (via Woking).
Clandon railway station is located in the village of West Clandon in Surrey, England. It is 25 miles 26 chains (40.8 km) down the line from London Waterloo.
Gomshall railway station serves the village of Gomshall in Surrey, England. The station, and all trains serving it, are operated by Great Western Railway. It is on the North Downs Line, 35 miles 21 chains (56.75 km) measured from London Charing Cross via Redhill.
Bethel Chapel, The Bars, Guildford, is an independent reformed Baptist church located in the heart of the historic town of Guildford.
The Academy of Contemporary Music (ACM) is a music academy in Guildford, Surrey, England providing its own contemporary music-based courses and partnering three public institutions, one college and two universities in respect of many of their contemporary music courses.
Albury Park is a country park and Grade II* listed historic country house (Albury Park Mansion) in Surrey, England. It covers over 150 acres (0.61 km2); within this area is the old village of Albury, which consists of three or four houses and a church. The River Tillingbourne runs through the grounds. The gardens of Albury Park are Grade I listed on the Register of Historic Parks and Gardens.
Ash Vale is a railway station serving the village of Ash Vale in Surrey, England. It is situated at the junction of the London to Alton line and the Ascot to Guildford line, 32 miles 38 chains (52.3 km) down the line from London Waterloo. The station and all trains serving it are operated by South Western Railway.
Ash Manor School is a comprehensive, community secondary school located in Manor Road, Ash, Surrey, England. Opened as Yeoman's Bridge School in 1948. The school was formed after a merger between two schools Yeomans Bridge and Robert Haining in 1986. There are 937 students.
Ash Vale is a village in the borough of Guildford in Surrey, England and the larger, northern settlement of the civil parish of Ash. It is 7 miles (11 km) from Guildford but is closer to the Hampshire towns of Aldershot and Farnborough, the centres of which are each about two miles (4 km) away, immediately across the two crossings of the River Blackwater, to the southwest and northwest.
Shalford is a village and civil parish in Surrey, England on the A281 Horsham road immediately south of Guildford. It has a railway station which is between Guildford and Dorking on the Reading to Gatwick Airport line.
Bookers Tower is a Grade II listed four-storey octagonal tower built in the 19th century, in the Gothic style. It is in Guildford, Surrey, and can be found along Beech Lane, behind the Mount Cemetery (resting place of Lewis Carroll).
Burpham is a suburb of Guildford, a town in Surrey, England with an historic village centre. It includes George Abbot School, a parade of small shops, and the nationally recognised Sutherland Memorial Park.
Christ's College is a Church of England secondary school and sixth form located in Guildford, Surrey, England, in the Bellfields neighbourhood.
Dapdune Wharf is a former wharf on the Wey and Godalming Navigations in Guildford, England, UK, close to the Surrey County Cricket Club ground. It is now maintained by the National Trust.
The Electric Theatre is a theatre located in Guildford, Surrey, England, which has gained a widespread reputation for promotion of the musical arts at all levels from community workshops to concerts by internationally well-known artists.
Fairlands is the largest settlement (neighbourhood) of Worplesdon, a village with a civil parish council in the Borough of Guildford, Surrey, England. The neighbourhood is centred 2.6 miles (4.2 km) north-west of Guildford, to which it is linked by a relatively straight road. The arbitrary centre of Worplesdon, a linear settlement, its church, is 1.2 miles (1.9 km) north-east.
Farley Green is a small hamlet of Albury in the Greensand Ridge where it forms the south of the Surrey Hills AONB, to the south east of Guildford.
Guildford Spectrum is a leisure complex in Guildford, Surrey, England. Owned by Guildford Borough Council, it was opened on 23 February 1993 at a cost of £28 million. It is the home of ice hockey teams the Guildford Flames and the Guildford Phoenix, Aldwych Speed Club (short track speed skating) and other sports clubs. In addition to its large indoor sports arena it has an Olympic size ice rink, three swimming pools and a high diving pool, a tenpin bowling centre, squash courts and a football/athletics stadium.
Guildford College of Further and Higher Education (GCFHE) in Guildford, Surrey is a Surrey County Council-funded educational establishment for students of age 16+ undertaking full-time and part-time studies, established in 1939. Its original campus is signposted and known as Guildford College. GCFHE has expanded by incorporating two colleges to the north-west and 6 miles (9.7 km) to the west in Surrey.
Guildford Golf Club is a private members golf club located in Merrow, Guildford, England. Founded in 1886, it is the oldest golf club in the county of Surrey.
Guildford High School is an independent day school for girls founded in 1888. Around one thousand girls, age 4 to 18, from Guildford and its surrounding towns and villages, attend the school. Guildford High School comprises a Junior School, Senior School and Sixth Form.
Guildford House is a historic house at 155 High Street, Guildford, Surrey, England. Built in 1660, it is currently a municipal museum and art gallery.
Guildford Lido was opened in June 1933 by the Mayor of Guildford, Alderman William Harvey. It has been in continuous use for over eight decades.
Guildford Museum is the main museum is in the town of Guildford, Surrey, England. The museum is on Quarry Street, a narrow road lined by pre-1900 cottages running just off the pedestrianised High Street. This main site of the museum forms the gatehouse and annex of Guildford Castle, which the staff help to run. It is run by Guildford Borough Council and has free entry between 11am - 4.45pm on Monday to Saturday. It is closed on Sundays and on Christmas Day.
Guildford School of Acting (GSA) is a drama school in Guildford, Surrey, England. It is an academic school in the University of Surrey. It is a member of the Federation of Drama Schools.
The Royal Horticultural Society's garden at Wisley in the English county of Surrey south of London, is one of five gardens run by the Society, the others being Harlow Carr, Hyde Hall, Rosemoor, and Bridgewater (opening in 2020). Wisley is the second most visited paid entry garden in the United Kingdom after the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, with 1,071,088 visitors in 2018.
Holmbury Hill is a wooded area of 261 metres (856 ft) above sea level in Surrey, England, and the site of an Iron Age-period hillfort. The Old Saxon word "holm" can be translated as hill and "bury" means fortified place. It sits along the undulating Greensand Ridge, its summit being 805 feet (245 m) from the elevated and tightly clustered small village of Holmbury St. Mary which was traditionally part of Shere, 8 kilometres (5.0 mi) away.
Holmbury St. Mary is a village in Surrey, England centered on shallow upper slopes of the Greensand Ridge. Its developed area is a clustered town 4.5 miles (7 km) southwest of Dorking and 8 miles (13 km) southeast of Guildford. Most of the village is in the borough of Guildford, within Shere civil parish. Much of the east side of the village street is in the district of Mole Valley, within Abinger civil parish.