The Norwood Tower (previously known as the Capital National Bank Building) is a historic commercial building in downtown Austin, Texas. Built in 1929, the tower was named a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark in 2006 and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2011. At the time of construction, it was the city's tallest commercial structure and Austin's first fully air-conditioned office building, and the adjoining parking structure was the city's first self-parking ramped auto garage. The tower remains Austin's only Gothic Revival high-rise building.
The Westgate Tower is a mixed-use high-rise building in downtown Austin, Texas. The twenty-six-story 261-foot (80 m) tower block was designed in 1962 and completed in 1966; its name reflects its location across the street from the west gate of the Texas State Capitol. Designed by architect Edward Durell Stone, the tower was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2010 and designated a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark in 2012.
Burdine Hall is a building on the University of Texas at Austin campus, in the U.S. state of Texas. The classroom and office building is named after J. Alton Burdine, a former dean of the University of Texas College of Arts and Sciences, and has previously been referred to as the North Campus Classroom-Office. The hall reportedly cost $2.1 million and has previously housed the departments of anthropology, government, and sociology, as well as student financial aid offices. There is a local urban legend that the layout of the building's windows was intended to resemble a computer punched card.
The University of Texas Inter-Cooperative Council (ICC) is a student owned and operated housing cooperative serving students and community members in Austin, Texas. ICC Austin is an active member of NASCO.
The Windsor Park neighborhood is located in Austin, Texas, and bounded by 51st St. to the southwest, IH35 to the west, US US Hwy 290 to the north, Northeast Drive to the east, and Manor Road to the southeast.
The Austin United States Courthouse is a federal courthouse in downtown Austin, Texas. Built between 2009 and 2012, the building houses the Austin division of the United States District Court for the Western District of Texas and other federal judicial offices. It replaced the 1936 Austin U.S. Courthouse, which has since been transferred to Travis County to hold county judicial space.
The Brown Building is a ten-story office and residential tower in Downtown Austin, Texas. It is 137 feet (42 m) tall. Completed in 1938 at the southwest corner of 8th Street and Colorado Street, the building was home to many significant companies throughout 20th century Austin, including the holding corporation for the Lyndon Johnson family. The Texas Broadcasting Corporation operated from the building for many years around World War II, counting among its employees humorist Cactus Pryor and future governor John Connally.
Capital Memorial Park (also known as Capital Memorial Park Cemetery) is a cemetery located in Austin, Texas, United States. Tom Hamilton is buried there.
Deep Eddy Pool is a historic, man-made swimming pool in Austin, Texas. Deep Eddy is the oldest swimming pool in Texas and features a bathhouse built during the Depression era by the Works Progress Administration. The pool began as a swimming hole in the Colorado River, became a resort in the 1920s, and is today a popular swimming pool operated by the City of Austin.
The French Legation is a historic legation building in eastern Austin, Texas, built in 1841 to represent the French government in the new Republic of Texas.
Garrison Hall (abbreviated GAR) is a building located on the University of Texas at Austin campus. It is named after George Pierce Garrison (1853–1910), the history department's first chair and a founding member of the Texas State Historical Association. Construction began in 1925 and finished the following year.
Hogg Memorial Auditorium is a theater located on the University of Texas at Austin campus in Austin, Texas. The venue was the first theater at the university's campus when it was constructed in 1933.
The J. J. Pickle Research Campus (PRC) in Austin, Texas, United States is owned and operated by the University of Texas at Austin. It sits on 475 acres (1.9 km²) in northwest Austin, approximately 9 miles (14 km) north of the main UT campus and just south of the Domain.
The Lee and Joe Jamail Texas Swimming Center is an aquatics facility at the University of Texas at Austin in the USA. It is home to the university's swimming and diving teams, a variety of university-offered swimming and scuba-diving classes, as well as Longhorn Aquatics, a youth program. The facility also hosts the annual State high school championships in swimming and diving, run by the University Interscholastic League.
Mike A. Myers Stadium is the home of The University of Texas Longhorn track and field and soccer teams and also home to the USATF Elite Running Circuit Austin Track Club. The 20,000-seat stadium hosts the historic Texas Relays annually in April, as well as the University Interscholastic League track and field state championship in May.
Raul's was a live music nightclub at 2610 Guadalupe Street in Austin, Texas in the late 1970s and early 1980s, which started off as a Chicano music venue, but then specialized in punk rock music. The location is near the University of Texas campus.
The Red and Charline McCombs Field is the current home of the University of Texas Longhorn Women's Softball team.
The Scottish Rite Dormitory is a private women's dorm for the University of Texas built and operated by the Scottish rite of Freemasons in Austin, Texas. Located just north of campus on 27th Street and Whitis Avenue, the colonial revival style building was completed in 1922 during a housing shortage on campus and was intended to provide housing for the daughters and relatives of Master Masons.
Sutton Hall, originally called The Education Building, is a building on the University of Texas at Austin campus, serving as one of the three buildings supporting the School of Architecture, the others being Battle Hall and Goldsmith Hall. It was designed by Cass Gilbert, who also designed Battle Hall, the architecture library on the same campus. Originally, Sutton Hall housed the College of Education.
Main Building is the central administration building of St. Edward's University in Austin, Texas, and formerly also of St. Edward's High School (now defunct). First completed in 1888 and rebuilt after a fire in 1903, Main Building has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1973, along with adjacent Holy Cross Hall.
The Heman Marion Sweatt Travis County Courthouse is the county courthouse for Travis County, Texas. Located in downtown Austin, Texas (the county seat), the courthouse holds civil and criminal trial courts and other functions of county government. The courthouse was built between 1930 and 1931 in the then-contemporary PWA Moderne style, and it was later expanded in 1958 and 1962.
The Delta Kappa Gamma Society International Headquarters Building is a historic building at 416 West 12th Street in Austin, Texas. Since its construction in 1956, this International style building has housed the international headquarters of Delta Kappa Gamma, a professional society supporting the advancement of women founded in 1929. It was designed by the Austin firm Kuehne, Brooks and Barr. Architecturally, it is a C-shaped concrete and steel structure, two stories in height, with a main upper level, and a second basement level that is partially obscured by the sloping terrain of the lot. Its design includes hallmarks of the International style propounded by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe: intersecting horizontal and vertical planes that highlight a variety of materials, including different colors of brick, concrete blocks, and marble.
Anderson Mill is a neighborhood of Austin and a former census-designated place (CDP) in Travis and Williamson counties in the U.S. state of Texas. The population was 7,199 at the 2010 census.
Rosewood Neighborhood Park is a public park in East Austin, Texas. The park features tennis courts, playscapes, swimming pool, splash pad, as well as the Delores Duffie Recreation Center and the Doris "Dorie" Miller Auditorium. Combined, they comprise a 31,500 square feet facility with a gymnasium. They offer year round classes, workshops, special events, tournaments, performances, and demonstrations.
Bryker Woods is an older Austin, Texas, central city neighborhood developed in the 1930s, the center of which is approximately located at 30°18′17″N 97°45′06″W. It is predominantly a mix of young and old families and zoned as a single-family neighborhood composed of mostly small homes in good condition, most of which are over 50 years old. The Bryker Woods neighborhood is also part of the Old West Austin Historic District. Bryker Woods has its own elementary school, Bryker Woods Elementary, and is convenient to retail and recreational facilities. The neighborhood is threatened by commercial intrusion from its northeast corner and the MoPac Freeway to the west.
The Carrington–Covert House is a historic building in downtown Austin, Texas that serves as headquarters of the Texas Historical Commission. Built between 1855 and 1857, it is one of the few surviving pre-Civil War structures in the city.
Located on the northeast corner of Brazos and Eighth Street, Central Presbyterian Church in Austin, Texas. Central Presbyterian Church is a member of Mission Presbytery, in the Synod of the Sun region of the Presbyterian Church (USA).
The Clarksville Historic District in Austin, Texas, is an area located west of downtown Austin near Lady Bird Lake and just northeast of the intersection of the Missouri Pacific Railroad and West Tenth Street. Many historic homes and structures are located within the Clarksville Historic District. While Clarksville is geographically part of the Old West Austin Historic District, it is distinct from the two historic neighborhoods of Old Enfield which lies immediately to the north on the eastern side of Texas State Highway Loop 1 (commonly referred to as Mopac) and Tarrytown which is situated to the west and northwest on the western side of Mopac.
The Col. Monroe M. Shipe House is a historic two-story home in the Hyde Park historic district in Austin, Texas, United States. The building was completed by Monroe Shipe, founder of Hyde Park, in 1892. It uses an eclectic combination of styles, including a Stick style form, Queen Anne decorations, and a flat concrete roof.
The Cox–Craddock House is a historic Colonial Revival-style house built in 1928 in Austin, Texas. It was designed by architect Hugo Kuehne.
Crestview is a Capital MetroRail commuter rail station and Capital MetroRapid bus rapid transit station in Austin, Texas. It is at the edge of the Crestview neighborhood of North Austin, at the corner of Airport Boulevard and North Lamar Boulevard. The North Lamar Transit Center is one mile north of the station, and the Highland Mall Transit Center (across from the Highland station) is half a mile to the southeast. There is no on-site parking at the Crestview station. Riders must park at the North Lamar Transit center and take buses 1 or 801 south to the train.
David Crockett Early College High School is a public high school located in South Austin, Texas. The school opened in 1968 and is part of the Austin Independent School District (AISD). It was named after U.S. frontiersman Davy Crockett.
The Dewitt C. Greer State Highway Building is an eight-story structure in downtown Austin, Texas housing offices of the Texas Department of Transportation since its completion. Located at the southwest corner of 11th and Brazos Streets (125 E. 11th Street), the building was designed by San Antonio architect Carleton Adams and finished in 1933 at a cost of $455,000. It features elaborate Art Deco styling, including decorative carved limestone panels above the front doors. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places along with the 1918 State Office Building in 1998.
Downtown (or Downtown-Convention Center) is a Capital MetroRail commuter rail station in Austin, Texas. It is located in Downtown Austin at the corner of Fourth and Neches Street behind the Austin Convention Center. It is the current southern terminus of the Red Line. It is also the smallest, but busiest Capital MetroRail station.
The Driskill, a Romanesque-style building completed in 1886, is the oldest operating hotel in Austin, Texas, United States, and one of the best-known hotels in Texas generally. The Driskill was conceived and built by Col. Jesse Driskill, a cattleman who spent his fortune constructing "the finest hotel south of St. Louis".
East Riverside-Oltorf is a neighborhood in Austin, Texas, located southeast of the city's urban core. The East Riverside, Parker Lane, and Pleasant Valley neighborhoods together form the East Riverside-Oltorf Combined Neighborhood Planning Area. The region is bounded on the north by Lake Lady Bird, to the east by Grove Boulevard and the Montopolis neighborhood, Texas State Highway 71 to the south, and Interstate 35 and South River City to the west.
The Elisabet Ney Museum is a museum located in Austin, Texas, United States. It is housed in the former studio of sculptor Elisabet Ney and is dedicated to showcasing her life and works. There is a permanent collection of her portrait busts and personal memorabilia on display.
Esther's Follies is a modern-day vaudeville theatre located on 6th Street in downtown Austin, Texas. The group is named after actress Esther Williams. Acts incorporate magic, juggling, singing, dancing, and sketches on current events. The show is fast-paced, and most of the acts incorporate a comedic theme.
The Fischer House is a historic mansion in downtown Austin, Texas, United States, completed in 1882. Its builder, Joseph Fischer, was a prominent mason in Austin at the time, and its bold high Victorian era, Italianate architecture and ornamentation reflect his family's skill in the trade.
Four Seasons Hotel Austin is a part of the Toronto-based Four Seasons chain of luxury hotels and resorts. Its restaurant, TRIO, is a four-star restaurant, like the hotel. It is located on the shores of Lady Bird Lake, a reservoir of the Colorado River of Texas in Downtown Austin.
The Frank M. and Annie G. Covert House is a historic home in the Hyde Park Historic District in Austin, Texas, United States. It is also a part of the Shadow Lawn Historic District, a subdivision within the Hyde Park neighborhood established by Hyde Park founder Monroe Shipe.
The Genaro P. and Carolina Briones House is a historic home in downtown Austin, Texas, United States. Built by Genaro Briones over a period of 14 years, the home features unusual molded concrete construction and a dramatic two-story porch. It is known by some in the Hispanic community as "Casa de Sueños" (House of Dreams).
Goldsmith Hall is a building on the University of Texas at Austin campus, serving as the primary home of the School of Architecture. It was designed by Paul Cret, who also designed the Main Building (a.k.a. the Tower), the Union Building, and the Texas Memorial Museum on the same campus.
The Goodman Building is a late Victorian style historic commerce building in downtown Austin, Texas. It was constructed as a grocery in the mid-1880s to serve Austinites northwest of the Texas State Capitol. Today it serves as a state government adjunct office. A local bar, "The Cloak Room," occupies the basement and is a favorite for government employees. It is located at 202 W. 13th Street. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.
The Granger House and The Perch are a pair of historic homes in central Austin, Texas. The "Granger House" was built by local architect (and Austin native) Charles Granger in 1952, preceded by a smaller residence known as "The Perch" in 1945. Both buildings feature a distinctive boxy Mid-Century modern style, unique in the local neighborhood, that is today almost unaltered from their original appearance.
Gregory Gymnasium is the 4,000-seat current home of the University of Texas Longhorn women's volleyball team, and former home of the Longhorn basketball and swimming teams. The basketball teams moved out in 1977 to the Erwin Center. It also served as the home court for the Austin Aces of World Team Tennis from 2014–2015.
The Haehnel Building is a historic commercial building in east-central Austin, Texas. The building was constructed c. 1880 and served many commercial purposes throughout the 20th century. It was known as Shorty's Bar, a popular hangout for the local population (largely African-American).
Lake Walter E. Long (also known as Decker Lake) is a power plant cooling reservoir on Decker Creek in Austin, Texas. The reservoir was officially impounded in 1967 and serves to provide water for turbines used in the production of electricity from petroleum-based fuels. The dam and the lake are managed by the City of Austin. Surrounding Lake Walter E. Long is the city of Austin's Lake Walter E. Long Metropolitan Park, a popular recreational destination.
Lakeline is a Capital MetroRail commuter rail station in Austin, Texas, located at the corner of Lakeline Boulevard and Lyndhurst Streets. It also is co-located with the Lakeline Park and Ride (formerly Northwest Park and Ride) and serves Lakeline Mall which is a mile away. Lakeline is one of two stations located within Williamson County alongside Leander as opposed to Travis County which contains the other seven locations.
Originally Named Sidney Lanier High School, Juan Navarro High School was established in 1961 as the sixth high school in the Austin Independent School District and was originally located in the building which is now Burnet Middle School. Lanier is named in honor of the famous southern poet Sidney Lanier. The Austin Independent School District Trustees voted on March 24, 2019, to rename the school Juan Navarro High School. Juan Navarro was a 2007 graduate who died in Afghanistan from an improvised explosive device IED in July 2012. The current campus, opened in 1966, is located on Payton Gin Road. In 1997, Lanier was nationally recognized as a Blue Ribbon School, the highest honor a school could receive at the time. When it first opened, Lanier had virtually an all Caucasian student base with a highly active FFA Chapter, but over the years it has become a primarily Mexican-American school with close to 85% of its students being Latino.
The Joe R. and Teresa Lozano Long Center for the Performing Arts is a performing arts venue located along Lady Bird Lake in downtown Austin, Texas. The Long Center is the permanent home of the Austin Symphony Orchestra, Austin Lyric Opera and Ballet Austin, as well hosting other Austin-area performing arts organizations.
The Louis and Mathilde Reuter House is a private limestone home in central Austin, Texas, United States, in the historic Travis Heights neighborhood. The home was built by Louis Reuter, a local entrepreneur who moved to Austin in 1918 and later opened the city's first self-service grocery store.
MLK Jr. (or ML King Jr.) is a Capital MetroRail commuter rail station in Austin, Texas. It was built with a musical theme in mind and is located in East Austin at the corner of Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard and Alexander Avenue, the former of which is in turn named after civil rights activist Martin Luther King Jr.
The Main Building (known colloquially as The Tower) is a structure at the center of the University of Texas at Austin campus in Downtown Austin, Texas, United States. The Main Building's 307-foot (94 m) tower has 27 floors and is one of the most recognizable symbols of the university and the city.
Mansfield Dam (formerly Marshall Ford Dam) is a dam located across a canyon at Marshall Ford on the Colorado River, 13 miles (21 km) northwest of Austin, Texas. The groundbreaking ceremony occurred on February 19, 1937, with United States Secretary of the Interior Harold L. Ickes attending. The dam was a joint project by the Lower Colorado River Authority (LCRA) and the United States Bureau of Reclamation, with partial funding provided by the Public Works Administration. Brown and Root, headed by James E. Walters, Sr., was the prime contractor. The dam was completed in 1941. Originally called Marshall Ford Dam, the name was changed in 1941 in honor of United States Representative J.J. Mansfield. The reservoir behind Mansfield Dam is named Lake Travis. The dam is owned and operated by the LCRA.
The McCombs School of Business, also referred to as the McCombs School or simply McCombs, is a business school at The University of Texas at Austin (U.S.). In addition to the main campus in Downtown Austin, McCombs offers classes outside Central Texas in Dallas, Houston and internationally in Mexico City. The McCombs School of Business offers undergraduate, master's, and doctoral programs for their average 13,000 students each year, adding to its 98,648 member alumni base from a variety of business fields. In addition to traditional classroom degree programs, McCombs is home to 14 collaborative research centers, the international business plan competition: Venture Labs Investment Competition (formerly known as "MOOT Corp"), and executive education programs.
McKinney Falls State Park is a state park in Austin, Texas, United States at the confluence of Onion Creek and Williamson Creek. It is administered by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department. The park opened on April 15, 1976 and is named after Thomas F. McKinney, a businessman, race horse breeder and rancher, who owned and lived on the land in the mid-to-late 19th century. The park is part of the El Camino Real de los Tejas National Historic Trail.
The Montopolis Bridge is a historic Parker through truss bridge in Austin, Texas. It is located in the Montopolis neighborhood where a bicycle and pedestrian walkway crosses the Colorado River in southeastern Travis County. The bridge consists of five 200-foot Parker through truss spans and four 52-foot steel I-beam approach spans resting on reinforced concrete abutments. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places on October 10, 1996.
Mount Bonnell , also known as Covert Park, is a prominent point alongside the Lake Austin portion of the Colorado River in Austin, Texas. It has been a popular tourist destination since the 1850s. The mount provides a vista for viewing the city of Austin, Lake Austin, and the surrounding hills. It was designated a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark in 1969, bearing Marker number 6473, and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2015.
Mueller is a 711-acre (288 ha) Planned Unit Development (PUD) in the east-central portion of the city of Austin, Texas, United States. The project is in the process of long-term development on the former site of the Robert Mueller Municipal Airport, which was closed in 1999 upon the opening of Austin-Bergstrom International Airport in southeast Austin, itself a civilian adaptation of Bergstrom Air Force Base after its closure in the early 1990s. Mueller is intended to be a pedestrian-oriented, interactive mixed-use community, and a model for responsible urban planning and development.
The Neill–Cochran House Museum is a historic home in north-central Austin, Texas. Master builder Abner Cook designed and built the house in 1855 as a suburban estate many years before the surrounding area was settled by other homes and businesses. The two-story Greek Revival home features prominent Doric columns and Mr. Cook's signature "sheaf of wheat" balusters.
Nelson Field is a multi-use stadium in Austin, Texas, located on the north side of U.S. Route 290 at the junction with Berkman Drive. It serves as home stadium for LBJ High School, Anderson High School, Eastside Memorial High School and John H. Reagan High School. The stadium's capacity is 8,800 spectators.
Nelson Field is a baseball park located in Austin, Texas and the temporary home of the Concordia University Tornados until their new baseball facility is completed in time for the 2010 season. The former baseball facility, Keller-Faszholz Field, hosted its last game on April 19, 2008. For the 2009 season, the college team has also used Dell Diamond. The Tornados are a member of the American Southwest Conference.
O. Henry Hall, formerly known as the U.S. Post Office and Federal Building, is a historic courthouse and post office in Austin, Texas. It is located within the Sixth Street Historic District in Downtown Austin. O. Henry Hall serves as the administrative headquarters of the Texas State University System (TSUS), and until 2017 served as the University of Texas System headquarters.
The Oliphant–Walker House is a historic home in the Hyde Park Historic District in Austin, Texas. It is also a part of the Shadow Lawn Historic District, a subdivision within the Hyde Park neighborhood established by Hyde Park founder Monroe Shipe.
600 Congress is a high-rise office building located at the northwest corner of West 6th Street and Congress Avenue in the Financial District of Downtown Austin, the state capital of Texas. Standing 400 feet (122 meters) tall and containing 32 floors, it is currently the 12th tallest building in Austin, tied with the Four Seasons Residences. The construction of One American Center was completed in 1984 and was developed by Rust Properties. It was the tallest building in Austin until the finishing of the Frost Bank Tower in 2003. In 2017, One American Center underwent a full rebrand to 600 Congress capturing the focus of its prominent location in the heart of central Austin.
The Page–Gilbert House is a historic home in the Hyde Park Historic District in Austin, Texas. It is also a part of the Shadow Lawn Historic District, a subdivision within the Hyde Park neighborhood established by Hyde Park founder Monroe Shipe.
Lake Austin, formerly Lake McDonald, is a water reservoir on the Colorado River in Austin, Texas. The reservoir was formed in 1939 by the construction of Tom Miller Dam by the Lower Colorado River Authority. Lake Austin is one of the seven Highland Lakes created by the LCRA, and is used for flood control, electrical power generation, and recreation.
House Park is a 6,000-6,500 seat American football stadium in Austin, Texas that is owned and operated by the Austin Independent School District. Unlike many school districts in Texas, AISD uses multiple shared stadiums including House Park for use in athletic events rather than building a stadium for each high school.
Lady Bird Lake (formerly, and still colloquially referred to as Town Lake) is a river-like reservoir on the Colorado River in Austin, Texas, United States. The City of Austin created the reservoir in 1960 as a cooling pond for a new city power plant. The lake, which has a surface area of 416 acres (168 ha), is now used primarily for recreation and flood control. The reservoir is named in honor of former First Lady of the United States Lady Bird Johnson.
The Keith House in Austin, Texas is a historic home in the Pemberton Heights neighborhood in central Austin.
Kramer is a Capital MetroRail commuter rail station in Austin, Texas. It is located in Northwest Austin near the corner of Kramer and Braker Lanes. At 1 mile walking distance, Kramer is the closest station to The Domain, a major high-density business, retail, and residential center.
Littlefield Fountain (also known as the Littlefield Memorial Gateway) is a World War I memorial monument designed by Italian-born sculptor Pompeo Coppini on the main campus of the University of Texas at Austin in Austin, Texas, at the entrance to the university's South Mall. Completed in 1933, the monument is named after university regent and benefactor George W. Littlefield, whose donation paid for its design and construction.
Painter Hall (formerly the Physics Building) is an academic building located on the University of Texas at Austin campus. Named after Theophilus Painter, the building was constructed in 1933, expanded in 1957 and remodeled in 1974.
Pease Park (officially Pease District Park) is an urban park in central Austin, Texas. Paralleling Shoal Creek west of downtown, the park is frequented by University of Texas at Austin students and formerly by disc golf enthusiasts. Every spring it plays host to the annual Eeyore's Birthday Party celebration, a favorite event for Austin's hippie subculture dating back to the 1960s.
The Percy V. Pennybacker Jr. Bridge in Austin, Texas, is a through-arch bridge across Lake Austin which connects the northern and southern sections of the Loop 360 highway, also known as the "Capital of Texas Highway." The road is widely considered one of the most scenic urban drives in Texas, in large part due to this arched weathering-steel bridge and the rolling hills that flank the road. In 2001, 48,000 vehicles crossed the bridge daily. Ten years prior to this, 22,000 vehicles had crossed the bridge daily. Since its construction, Pennybacker Bridge has become subject to numerous souvenir designs in gift shops, along with additions to many Austin-themed t-shirts, tote bags, and keychains.
The Peter and Clotilde Shipe Mansbendel House is an historic home in the Hyde Park Historic District in Austin, Texas, United States. It is also a part of the Shadow Lawn Historic District, a subdivision within the Hyde Park neighborhood established by Hyde Park founder Monroe Shipe.
Plaza Saltillo is a Capital MetroRail commuter rail station in Austin, Texas. It is located in East Austin at the corner of Fifth and Comal Street adjacent to the Plaza Saltillo complex which, in turn, was built in 1998 as a result of a collaborative effort between the city of Austin, the city of Saltillo (a sister city of Austin), Capital Metro and Ole Mexico, an east Austin cultural group. To smoothly incorporate the station in the existing plaza layout and still ensure ADA accessibility, the platform was built with a unique "split ramp" layout, with two high-level sections split by a pair of wheelchair ramps. Railcars stop with their doors aligned with the high-level platform sections, providing level access.
The Rainey Street Historic District is a street of historic homes, many of the bungalow style, in downtown Austin, Texas.
The Ritz is a historic theater in the 6th Street district in Austin, Texas. The building's history includes use as a movie theater, music hall, club, and comedy house. It reopened after renovations in fall 2007 as the new downtown location for the Alamo Drafthouse.
Tom Miller Dam is a dam located on the Colorado River within the city limits of Austin, Texas, United States. The City of Austin, aided by funds from the Public Works Administration, constructed the dam for the purpose of flood control and for generating hydroelectric power. Named after Robert Thomas Miller, a former Mayor of Austin, the dam forms Lake Austin, one of the Texas Highland Lakes.
Travis Heights is a historic neighborhood in south Austin, Texas, United States, bounded by Lady Bird Lake on the north, Interstate 35 on the east, Congress Avenue on the west and Oltorf Street on the south. These boundaries include Fairview Park, an earlier suburb associated with the same developers, running from the west side of Blunn Creek to South Congress Avenue. Part of Travis Heights was stranded east of Interstate 35; many of the same streets to be found west of the highway continue east of it.
The Treaty Oak is a Texas live oak tree in Austin, Texas, United States, and the last surviving member of the Council Oaks, a grove of 14 trees that served as a sacred meeting place for Comanche and Tonkawa tribes prior to European settlement of the area. Foresters estimate the Treaty Oak to be about 500 years old. Before its vandalism in 1989, the tree's branches had a spread of 127 feet (39 m). The tree is located in Treaty Oak Park, on Baylor Street between 5th and 6th Streets, in Austin's West Line Historic District.
UFCU Disch–Falk Field is the baseball stadium of the University of Texas at Austin. It has been home to Texas Longhorns baseball since it opened on February 17, 1975, replacing Clark Field as the home of the Longhorns.
Uchi is a contemporary Japanese sushi restaurant located in Austin, Texas which opened in 2003. The Japanese word "Uchi" translates to "house" in English, and the 2,700-square-foot (250 m2) space is a refurbished home. Owner and chef Tyson Cole's menu consists of hot and cool tastings, sushi and sashimi, makimono, yakimono and tempura, and a changing omakase based on seasonal items. In 2011, Cole won the “Best Chef, Southwest” award from the James Beard Foundation.
The Umlauf Sculpture Garden & Museum, stylized as the UMLAUF, is a museum and outdoor sculpture garden centered on the artistic works of American sculptor Charles Umlauf. Located at 605 Azie Morton Road in the Zilker neighborhood of Austin, Texas, the garden is adjacent to Austin's Zilker Park.
University Baptist Church in Austin, Texas, USA, was organized in 1907–1908 to serve students at the University of Texas. Originally leasing space from the Highland Presbyterian Church, the church was officially chartered on September 27, 1908, with 80 original members.
University Teaching Center is an academic building located on the University of Texas at Austin campus. It is adjacent to the Perry–Castañeda Library.
University United Methodist Church, Austin, Texas, is a United Methodist Church belonging to the Rio Texas Conference of the United Methodist Church. Located at the corner of 24th Street and Guadalupe Street (known to locals as the "Drag"), UUMC has been a fixture near the University of Texas at Austin campus for more than 120 years.
Vandegrift High School is a public high school in Travis County, Texas. It educates students in grades 9-12 for the Leander Independent School District.
Victory Grill is a historic music venue located at 1104 E. 11th St, Austin, Texas. The nightclub was on the Chitlin' Circuit and hosted famous African American acts such as Bobby Bland, Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown, W. C. Clark and B. B. King when Austin was legally segregated. Victory Grill was added to the National Register of Historic Places on October 16, 1998.
Waggener Hall is an academic building located on the University of Texas at Austin campus. This building houses the Classics Library on the first floor. The Classics and Philosophy Departments are based Waggener Hall, as well as the Jefferson Scholars Program.
The Robert A. Welch Hall (abbreviated WEL) is a building located on the University of Texas at Austin campus in Austin, Texas, United States.
William B. Travis High School is a high school located in south Austin, Texas, United States, which is part of the Austin Independent School District. It was opened in 1953 and is named after William B. Travis, who was one of the commanding officers at the Battle of the Alamo. It is the oldest high school in Austin, south of the Colorado River.
The William Sidney Porter House or O. Henry House is a historic structure in Downtown Austin, Texas. William Sidney Porter, better known as the author O. Henry, lived there between 1893 and 1895. The Porter house was added to the National Register of Historic Places on June 18, 1973. The house is known today as the O. Henry Museum. The collection is curated by Melissa Parr, Site Coordinator.
ZACH Theatre (the Zachary Scott Theatre Center) is a professional theatre company located in Austin, Texas, as well as its associated complex of theatre facilities. The company is the oldest continuously active theatre company in Texas, and one of the ten oldest in the country.
Zilker is a neighborhood in south central Austin, Texas. It extends south of Lady Bird Lake, approximately bounded by the Union Pacific Railway to the southeast/south (Lamar Boulevard south of Oltorf), Barton Skyway to the south, Rabb Road and Azie Morton Road to the west and Lady Bird Lake to the north.
The Zilker Botanical Garden (31 acres; 125,000 m²) is a botanical garden of varied topography located on the south bank of the Colorado River at 2220 Barton Springs Road, near downtown Austin, Texas, United States.
Zilker Metropolitan Park is a recreational area in south Austin, Texas at the juncture of Barton Creek and the Colorado River that comprises over 350 acres (142 ha) of publicly owned land. It is named after its benefactor, Andrew Jackson Zilker, who donated the land to the city in 1917. The land was developed into a park during the Great Depression in the 1930s. Today the park serves as a hub for many recreational activities and the hike and bike trail around Lady Bird Lake, both of which run next to the park. The large size of the park makes it a capable venue for large-scale events such as the Austin City Limits Music Festival and the Zilker Park Kite Festival. The park was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1997.
The Bullock Texas State History Museum (often referred to as the Bob Bullock Texas State History Museum or Bullock Museum) is a history museum in Austin, Texas. The museum, located a few blocks north of the Texas State Capitol at 1800 North Congress Avenue in Austin, Texas, is dedicated to interpreting the continually unfolding "Story of Texas" to the broadest possible audience through meaningful educational experiences. The museum is operated by the Texas State Preservation Board, which also operates the Texas State Capitol, the Texas Capitol Visitors Center, the Texas Governor's Mansion, and the Texas State Cemetery.
Calhoun Hall (abbreviated CAL) is a building located on the University of Texas at Austin campus, built in 1968. The building is named after John William Calhoun, a mathematics professor, university comptroller from 1925 to 1937, and university president from 1937 to 1939.
The Goodall Wooten House is a historic home built in 1898-1900 in Austin, Texas, USA. It was built by local doctor and benefactor Goodall H. Wooten and his wife Ella and was noted for its Classical Revival architecture and lush gardens. The building has served many purposes since passing out of the Wooten family in 1944, such as a student residence hall, a chemical dependency treatment center, a luxury hotel called "The Mansion at Judges' Hill" and currently, a boutique hotel called "Hotel Ella." The structure was added to the National Register of Historic Places on April 3, 1975.
Highland is a Capital MetroRail commuter rail station in Austin, Texas, USA. It is located in northeast Austin at the intersection of Airport Boulevard and Highland Mall Boulevard, just northwest of the I-35/Highway 290 interchange directly across the street from Highland Mall.
The Northshore is a mixed-use building in Austin, Texas that includes 439 residential units and 40,000 square feet of retail and office space. Co-Working company Galvanize occupies the office space in the building. As of 2019, the tower stands as the 9th tallest building in Austin, Texas. The building is the tallest apartment building in the city. The Northshore is part of the redevelopment of the former Green Water Treatment Plant site in downtown Austin.
Dell Children's Medical Center of Central Texas is a pediatric acute care hospital located in Austin, Texas. The hospital has 248 beds. It is affiliated with The UT Austin Dell Medical School, and is a member of Ascension Health. The hospital provides comprehensive pediatric specialties and subspecialties to pediatric patients aged 0–21 throughout Central Texas.The hospital features the only Level I pediatric trauma center in the Central Texas region.
Walnut Creek is a 23-mile (37 km) long tributary stream of the Colorado River in Texas. It flows from north to south, crossing the Edwards Plateau on the western side of Austin, down to the Blackland Prairie on the eastern side of the city where it then drains into the Colorado River downstream of Longhorn Dam. The stream's upper region flows over limestone, while the southern stretch passes through deeper clay soils and hardwood forest. Walnut Creek's watershed, spanning 36,000 acres (15,000 ha), is the largest in Central Austin.
The Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT, pronounced "tex-dot") is a government agency in the American state of Texas. Though the public face of the agency is generally associated with the construction and maintenance of the state's immense state highway system, the agency is also responsible for overseeing aviation, rail, and public transportation systems in the state.
The Lorenzo de Zavala State Archives and Library Building is a state library and historic landmark in Downtown Austin, Texas.
The Perry–Castañeda Library (PCL) is the main central library of the University of Texas at Austin library system in Austin, Texas. PCL is located at 21st Street and Speedway in Austin, TX.
The Lyndon Baines Johnson Library and Museum, also known as the LBJ Presidential Library, is the presidential library and museum of Lyndon Baines Johnson, the 36th President of the United States (1963–1969). It is located on the grounds of the University of Texas at Austin, and is one of 13 Presidential Libraries administered by the National Archives and Records Administration. The LBJ Library houses 45 million pages of historical documents, including the papers of President Johnson and those of his close associates and others.
The Texas State Capitol is the capitol building and seat of government of the American state of Texas. Located in downtown Austin, Texas, the structure houses the offices and chambers of the Texas Legislature and of the Governor of Texas. Designed in 1881 by architect Elijah E. Myers, it was constructed from 1882 to 1888 under the direction of civil engineer Reuben Lindsay Walker. A $75 million underground extension was completed in 1993. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1970 and recognized as a National Historic Landmark in 1986.
The Texas State Cemetery (TSC) is a cemetery located on about 22 acres (8.9 ha) just east of downtown Austin, the capital of the U.S. state of Texas. Originally the burial place of Edward Burleson, Texas Revolutionary general and Vice-President of the Republic of Texas, it was expanded into a Confederate cemetery during the Civil War. Later it was expanded again to include the graves and cenotaphs of prominent Texans and their spouses.
The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center at The University of Texas at Austin is the state botanical garden and arboretum of Texas. The center features more than 900 species of native Texas plants in both garden and natural settings and is home to a breadth of educational programs and events. The center is 284 acres and located 10 miles southwest of downtown Austin, Texas just inside the edge of the distinctive Texas hill country. It straddles both Edwards Plateau and Texas Blackland Prairies ecosystems.
The Peter T. Flawn Academic Center (abbreviated FAC, formerly the Undergraduate Library and Academic Center) is an undergraduate library and "technology and collaboration" facility located on the University of Texas at Austin campus. The center, named after former university president Peter T. Flawn in 1983, opened between 1963 and 1964. Upon its opening, the building featured the first open-stack library on campus for undergraduates along with much of the Humanities Research Center.
Gonzalo Garza Independence High School is an alternative high school created by in the Austin Independent School District and is located at 1600 Chicon Street in Austin, Texas. It opened in January 1998 under then-principal Victoria Baldwin and is open to any student entering their third year of high school with 10 or more credits. Garza offers a non-traditional, self-paced approach and enrolls about 300 students. In the 2005–2006 school year, Garza had 194 graduates.
Austin–Round Rock–San Marcos (or Greater Austin) is a five-county metropolitan area in the U.S. state of Texas, as defined by the Office of Management and Budget. The metropolitan area is situated in Central Texas on the eastern edge of the American Southwest, and borders Greater San Antonio to the south.
St. David's Episcopal Church is a historic church in downtown Austin, Texas, United States. Its main church building was constructed in 1854–1855, making it one of the oldest standing buildings in the city. The first Episcopal church in Austin was briefly organized in 1848, nine years after Austin was founded. In 1851 the parish was reorganized, and work on the church building began two years later. The church is located at 304 E. 7th Street. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.
Cambridge Tower is a building in Austin, Texas, United States, that opened in 1965 as a luxury apartment tower. The building was designed by Dallas-based architect Thomas E. Stanley. It currently operates as a condominium. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on June 20, 2018.
Walnut Creek Metropolitan Park is a 293-acre (119 ha) public park in Northeast Austin, Texas. The park features 15 miles of hiking trails, multiple softball fields, a swimming pool, a playground, and numerous barbecue pits and picnic tables. It is notable for having a large off-leash area for dogs, and is also popular with local mountain bikers for its extensive network of trails. The park is hilly and wooded, with access to Walnut Creek and the surrounding limestone bluffs.
Bull Creek District Park is a 48-acre (19 ha) city park in Austin, Texas. The park was created in 1971, and named for Bull Creek, the stream that passes through it and provides the focal point of the park's primary attractions of swimming, hiking, and fishing.
Austin City Hall is the seat of Austin municipal government, located at 301 W 2nd St in downtown Austin, Texas (USA). The current building was completed in 2004. It is the meeting place for the Austin City Council.
The Little Campus (officially the Heman Sweatt Campus) is a historic district and part of the University of Texas at Austin campus in Austin, Texas. Originally built in 1856 as the Texas Asylum for the Blind, the complex was used for a variety of purposes through the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. It was acquired by the University of Texas after World War I and listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.
The Texas African American History Memorial is an outdoor monument commemorating the impact of African Americans in Texas, installed on the Texas State Capitol grounds in Austin, Texas, United States. The memorial was sculpted by Ed Dwight and erected by the Texas African American History Memorial Foundation in 2016. It describes African American history from the 1500s to present, and includes depictions of Hendrick Arnold and Barbara Jordan, as well as Juneteenth (June 19, 1865), when African Americans were emancipated.
The Neal Kocurek Memorial Austin Convention Center is a multi-purpose convention center located in Austin, Texas. The building is the home of the Texas Rollergirls, and was also home to the Austin Toros basketball team, until their move to the Cedar Park Center in nearby Cedar Park in 2010. The facility is also the primary "home base" for the internationally renowned South by Southwest technology, music and film conference/festival, held annually in March.
Bergstrom Air Force Base (1942–1993) was located seven miles southeast of Austin, Texas. In its later years it was a major base for the U.S. Air Force's RF-4C reconnaissance fighter fleet.
Huston–Tillotson University (HTU) is a private historically black university in Austin, Texas. Established in 1875, Huston–Tillotson University was the first institution of higher learning in Austin. The university is affiliated with the United Methodist Church, the United Church of Christ, and the United Negro College Fund. Huston–Tillotson University awards bachelor's degrees in business, education, the humanities, natural sciences, social sciences, science, and technology and a Master's degree in educational leadership. The university also offers alternative teacher certification and academic programs for undergraduates interested in pursuing post-graduate degrees in law and medicine.
Batts Hall (abbreviated BAT) is a building on the South Mall of the University of Texas at Austin campus in Austin, Texas, United States. The five-floor, 39,143-square-foot structure is named after Robert Lynn Batts.
George Washington is an outdoor 1955 bronze sculpture by Italian American artist Pompeo Coppini, located on the University of Texas at Austin campus in Austin, Texas, in the United States.
Physics, Math, and Astronomy Building (abbreviated PMA; formerly known as Robert Lee Moore Hall or RLM) is a building on the University of Texas at Austin campus, in the U.S. state of Texas. The building was completed in 1972, and houses the astronomy, mathematics, and physics departments.
Longhorn Dam is a dam crossing the Colorado River in Austin, Texas, United States, where it creates Lady Bird Lake. Completed in 1960, the dam was built by the City of Austin as the last in a chain of Colorado River dams in central Texas begun during the Great Depression. The name refers to its location on a ford used for longhorn cattle drives as a part of the Chisholm Trail in the late 19th century.
The Lamar Boulevard Bridge is a historic arch bridge carrying Texas State Highway Loop 343 (Lamar Boulevard) over Lady Bird Lake in downtown Austin, Texas, United States. The bridge features six open-spandrel concrete arches spanning 659 feet (201 m) and carries tens of thousands of vehicles daily across the lake. Completed in 1942, the Lamar Boulevard Bridge was the second permanent bridge to cross the Colorado River (after the Ann W. Richards Congress Avenue Bridge), and one of the last Art Deco-style open-spandrel concrete arch bridges built in Texas. The bridge was named an Austin Landmark in 1993 and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1994.
The Hilton Austin Hotel is the third largest hotel in Austin, with 801 rooms. The Hilton Austin is also the third tallest hotel and seventeenth tallest building in Austin, Texas at 377 ft (115 m) tall with 31 stories. Designed by Ellerbe Becket Inc and Susman Tisdale Gayle Architects (now STG Design, Inc), the building broke ground on July 10, 2001 and topped out officially on January 17, 2003, a span of 1 year, 6 months, and 7 days. The second largest ballroom in Austin also is located at the Hilton Austin. In 2018, a $7.5 million overhead walkway was constructed to connect the sixth floor of the hotel with the fourth floor of the Austin Convention Center.
The Jack S. Blanton Museum of Art (often referred to as the Blanton or the BMA) at the University of Texas at Austin is one of the largest university art museums in the U.S. with 189,340 square feet devoted to temporary exhibitions, permanent collection galleries, storage, administrative offices, classrooms, a print study room, an auditorium, shop, and cafe. The Blanton's permanent collection consists of almost 18,000 works, with significant holdings of modern and contemporary art, Latin American art, Old Master paintings, and prints and drawings from Europe, the United States, and Latin America.
Saint Mary's Cathedral is the cathedral parish of the Catholic Diocese of Austin located in Austin, Texas, United States. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973, as St. Mary's Cathedral.
Concordia University Texas is a private, coeducational institution of liberal arts and sciences located in northwest Austin, in the U.S. state of Texas. The university offers undergraduate, graduate and online degrees as well as an Adult Degree Program for part-time and returning students.
The Frost Bank Tower is a skyscraper in Austin, Texas, United States. Standing 515 feet (157 m) tall with 33 floors, it is the fifth tallest building in Austin, behind The Independent, The Austonian, Fairmont Austin, and the 360 Condominiums. It was developed by Cousins Properties from November 2001 to December 2003 as a class A office building with 525,000 sq ft (48,774 m2) of leasable space. It was the first high-rise building to be constructed in the United States after the 9/11 attacks. The building was officially dedicated in January 2004.
The Austonian is a residential skyscraper in Downtown Austin, Texas, USA. At 683 feet (208 m) tall with 56 floors, the building is the second tallest in Austin, overtaking the 360 Condominiums and behind The Independent. It is also the second tallest building in Texas outside of Houston and Dallas, and the second tallest all-residential building in North America west of the Mississippi River (both behind The Independent).
The Texas Memorial Museum, located on the campus of the University of Texas at Austin in Austin, Texas, USA, was created during preparations for the Texas Centennial Exposition held in 1936. The museum's focus is on natural history, including paleontology, geology, biology, herpetology, ichthyology and entomology. At one point, the museum also had exhibits on Texas history, anthropology, geography, and ethnography, but these were relocated to other museums (including the Bullock Texas State History Museum) in 2001.
The Supreme Court of Texas (SCOTX) is the court of last resort for civil appeals (including juvenile delinquency cases, which are categorized as civil under the Texas Family Code) in the U.S. state of Texas. A different court, the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals (CCA), is the court of last resort in criminal cases.
Eastside Memorial High School (formerly Johnston High School) is located in Austin, Texas. It is a part of the Austin Independent School District (AISD).
The A. J. Jernigan House, known as Las Ventanas, is a historic home in west-central Austin, Texas, United States. The home was designed and built in 1875 for Mr. Jernigan, then the Travis County treasurer, by noted master builder Abner Cook.
Allandale, Austin, Texas is a neighborhood in North Central Austin, in the U.S. State of Texas known for its large lots, mature trees, and central location.
L.C. Anderson High School is a public high school located in the city of Austin, Texas, United States. It is a part of the Austin Independent School District.
The Anthony and Louise Viaer Alumni Hall, formerly the Administration Building, is a building on the campus of Huston-Tillotson University in Austin, Texas, United States.
The Arboretum is an upmarket retail trade area in the northwest portion of Austin, Texas, centered roughly on the convergence of U.S. Route 183 (which, as it travels through Austin, is a freeway known as Research Boulevard), Capital of Texas Highway and Mopac Expressway.
Armadillo World Headquarters (sometimes referred to as simply The 'Dillo) was a music venue and nightclub in Austin, Texas, from 1970 to 1980. It was located at 505 Barton Springs Road in Austin. After its demolition, it was replaced by a 13-story office building.
Austin is a train station located just west of downtown Austin, Texas, United States. The station is served by Amtrak's Texas Eagle route, which runs north to Chicago and west to Los Angeles.
Stephen F. Austin High School, more commonly known as Austin High, is a public high school in Austin, Texas, United States, and part of the Austin Independent School District (AISD). Founded in 1881, it is one of the oldest public high schools west of the Mississippi River, and was the one of the first public high schools in the state of Texas.
Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary is a Presbyterian seminary in Austin, Texas. Austin Seminary was founded in 1902 to provide pastors for the rapidly growing Presbyterian Church in the frontier Southwest. It opened its doors on October 1, 1902, at Ninth and Navasota streets.
Austin State Hospital (ASH), formerly known until 1925 as the Texas State Lunatic Asylum, is a 299-bed psychiatric hospital located in Austin, Texas. It is the oldest psychiatric facility in the state of Texas, and the oldest continuously operating west of the Mississippi River. It is operated by the Texas Department of State Health Services.
The Bank of America Center is the 23rd tallest building in Austin, Texas. It was built in 1975 and has 261,609 square feet (24,304 m2) of office space on 26 floors. It is 336 feet (102 m) tall and is located on the east side of Congress Avenue in downtown Austin between 5th and 6th Streets. The tower was the second building in Austin to surpass the Texas State Capitol in height, after the Chase Bank Tower. The Bank of America Center was the tallest building in Austin for 9 years from 1975 to 1984, surpassing the Chase Bank Tower but falling short of the One American Center. The building's facade was built with leftover material from Pennzoil Place in Houston.
Barton Creek Square is an enclosed shopping mall located in southwest Austin, Texas in the United States, near the intersection of Texas State Highway Loop 1 and Texas State Highway Loop 360. The mall is eponymously named after Barton Creek, Texas. Anchor stores are two Dillard's locations, JCPenney, Macy's, and Nordstrom.
The Barton Creek Greenbelt located in Austin, Texas is managed by the City of Austin's Park and Recreation Department. The Greenbelt is a 7.25-mile (11.67 km) stretch of public land that begins at Zilker Park and stretches South/Southwest to the final section commonly referred to as "The Hill of Life" which ends in the Woods of Westlake subdivision. The Barton Creek Greenbelt consists of three areas: the Lower Greenbelt, the Upper Greenbelt, and the Barton Creek Wilderness Park and is characterized by large limestone cliffs, dense foliage, and shallow bodies of water.
Barton Springs Pool is a recreational outdoor swimming pool that is filled entirely with water from nearby natural springs. It is located on the grounds of Zilker Park in Austin, Texas. The pool exists within the channel of Barton Creek and utilizes water from Main Barton Spring, the fourth largest spring in Texas. The pool is a popular venue for year-round swimming, as its temperature hovers between about 68 °F (20 °C) and 74 °F (23 °C) year round.
Battle Hall, also known as the "Cass Gilbert Building" and "The Old Library," is a historic library on the campus of the University of Texas at Austin in Austin, Texas. It is one of four buildings on campus that have been added to the National Register of Historic Places. The others are the Littlefield House, University Junior High School (now the School of Social Work Building) and Little Campus (now called Arno Nowotny Building and John W. Hargis Hall).
Benedict Hall (abbreviated BEN) is a building located on the University of Texas at Austin campus. Built in 1951 and named after mathematics professor and university president H. Y. Benedict, the building was completed in 1952 and was originally home to the Department of Mathematics.
BookPeople is an independent bookstore in Austin, Texas, and the largest bookstore in the state of Texas. It was founded in 1970 and has been voted the best bookstore by the Austin Chronicle every year since 1995 as of 2010.
James Bowie High School is a public high school in southwest Austin, Texas. With an estimated student body of 3,000, and a campus sitting on 60 acres (240,000 m2), Bowie is the largest school in the Austin Independent School District and also the second-largest secondary school in Central Texas. The school was established in 1988 on land donated to the school district by Circle C Ranch, which again in 2011 donated 100 acres (400,000 m2) for athletic purposes. James Bowie High School's principal is Mark Robinson.
The Harry Ransom Center (until 1983 the Humanities Research Center) is an archive, library and museum at the University of Texas at Austin, specializing in the collection of literary and cultural artifacts from the United States, Latin America and Europe for the purpose of advancing the study of the arts and humanities. The Ransom Center houses 36 million literary manuscripts, one million rare books, five million photographs, and more than 100,000 works of art.
The Henry Hirshfeld House and Cottage are two historic homes in downtown Austin, Texas, United States, originally inhabited by the prominent Hirshfeld family. The cottage, built in 1873, housed Henry and his wife Jennie until the larger house, designed by local architect John Andrewartha, was built in 1885. The homes have been well preserved and today house the Office of Governmental Relations for the Texas A&M University System. The buildings are located at 303 and 305 W. 9th Street. The buildings were added together to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.
The Hildreth–Flanagan–Heierman House is a historic home in the Hyde Park historic district in Austin, Texas. It is also a part of the Shadow Lawn Historic District, a subdivision of the Hyde Park neighborhood designated by Hyde Park founder Monroe Shipe.
Hyde Park Schools is a private Christian K-12 located in Austin, Texas. Hyde Park has two campuses: the Speedway Campus for 4K through 8th grades campus and the Quarries Campus for high school.
Hyde Park is a neighborhood and historic district in Austin, Texas. Located in Central Austin, Hyde Park is defined by 38th Street to the south, 45th Street to the north, Duval Street to the east, and Guadalupe Street to the west. It is situated just north of the University of Texas and borders the neighborhoods of Hancock and North Loop.
The James Earl Rudder State Office Building is a historic office building in downtown Austin, Texas, USA. Built in 1918, the five-story structure features 18-foot ceilings and terrazzo and marble flooring.
John B. Connally High School is a public secondary school in Austin, Texas, United States. The school, which opened in 1996, serves 9-12 and is part of the Pflugerville Independent School District.
Oakwood Cemetery, originally called City Cemetery, is the oldest city-owned cemetery in Austin, Texas. Situated on a hill just east of I-35 that overlooks downtown Austin, just north of the Swedish Hill Historic District and south of Disch-Falk Field, the once-isolated site is now in the center of the city.
Howard is a Capital MetroRail commuter rail station in Austin, Texas. It is located in Northwest Austin at the corner of Howard Lane and MoPac Expressway. Howard Station includes a Park & Ride with 200 spaces. The station was originally built with one platform and one track, as seen in the picture below. The design of the platform allows a second track on the unused side of the platform to be easily built due to the presence of platform-edge tactile tiles and track ballast having been constructed with the original station. In 2018, the second track was built on the previously unused side of the platform to allow trains traveling in opposing directions to pass one another at the station, similar to the design of MLK Junior Station. This transformed the existing one-track, side platform station into a two-track, island platform station.
The J. Frank Dobie House is a historic house in Austin, Texas built in the Colonial Revival style in 1925–26. The house was bought by J. Frank Dobie in 1926, and it contained the library and office where he did much of his writing. Until his death in 1964, Dobie used the house for informal entertaining with colleagues and students. It was acquired by the University of Texas at Austin in 1995, and currently houses the Michener Center for Writers.
The Judge Robert Lynn Batts House is a historic home in central Austin, Texas, United States. It was built 1924–1925 for Judge Robert Lynn Batts and his family. Over the course of several decades, Judge Batts served in the Texas House of Representatives, as assistant attorney general of Texas, and as a law professor at the University of Texas at Austin.
Lakeline Mall is a super-regional shopping mall located in north Austin, Texas, at the intersection of RR 620 and US 183. Although the mall has a Cedar Park postal code, it is physically within the City of Austin. It has 1,097,799 square feet (101,988.9 m2) of gross leasable area. Construction was initially slated to begin in the 1980s but was stalled due to the savings and loan crisis and later stalled due to the discovery of two endangered species on the proposed site.
The Robinson–Macken House is a historic home in west downtown Austin, Texas. The home is located at 702 Rio Grande. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1985.
The Rosedale neighborhood is located in north central Austin, Texas. The neighborhood is bordered by on 38th Street to the south, Shoal Creek to the west, North Loop / Hancock Drive to the north, and Lamar Boulevard to the east (map). Ramsey Park is located in the heart of the neighborhood, and has a swimming pool, tennis courts, a baseball diamond, a basketball court, playgrounds, and picnic areas. There are over 1200 homes in the area, a variety of businesses within walking distance, and a network of medical services close by (including Seton Hospital, and ATX Orthopedics.)
Saint John (alternately Saint John's) is a neighborhood of Austin, Texas within the 78752 zip code. Geographically, the neighborhood straddles Interstate 35. It is bounded on the west by Middle Fiskville Road and Twincrest, on the south by Highway 290, on the north by Anderson Lane, and on the east by Cameron Road.
The Smith–Marcuse–Lowry House is an historic home in the Hyde Park Historic District in Austin, Texas. It is also a part of the Shadow Lawn Historic District, a subdivision within the Hyde Park neighborhood established by Hyde Park founder Monroe Shipe.
The Austin Museum of Popular Culture (AusPop) is a Texas 501(c)(3) nonprofit organisation dedicated to collecting, preserving, and exhibiting art and memorabilia that reflect Austin's eclectic contributions to popular culture worldwide.
South Congress (abbreviated SoCo) is a neighborhood located on South Congress Avenue in Austin, Texas, United States. It is also a nationally known shopping and cultural district famous for its many eclectic small retailers, restaurants, music and art venues and, more recently, food trucks.
The Southgate–Lewis House is a historic two-story home in east Austin, Texas. It was built in 1888 by a local bookbinder using the Gothic Revival style of architecture.
Splitrock is a house in Austin, Texas, built in 1893 by a Scottish immigrant named Robert F Burns. Located at 2815 Wooldridge Dr. (30.298753, -97.750397) on bluff overlooking Shoal Creek, the house was one of the first in the central Austin area which is now occupied by the Pemberton Heights and Bryker Woods neighborhoods. The name Splitrock is derived from a topographic feature (an extremely large rock split in half) and swimming hole located approximately 300 feet (91 m) south east of the house. In 2006 Splitrock was designated as a City of Austin Historic Landmark. The house also referred to as the “Burns-Klein” house is a contributing property to the Old West Austin National Register Historic District.
Spring is a 43-story, 132 m (433 ft) tall condominium in Austin, Texas. Upon its completion in 2009 it became the 3rd tallest building in Austin and the tallest building in the West End. The tower currently stands as the 8th tallest in the city. It was designed by Vancouver–based architect Foad Rafii. The architect of record was Morris Architects and Pentagram was the graphic designer of the project. Spring was the first point tower in Austin, a term referring to a slender tower above a large, mid-rise base.
Tarrytown is a neighborhood located west of Downtown Austin, Texas. The neighborhood is bordered by Lake Austin Boulevard on the south, Lake Austin on the west, West 35th Street on the north and Mopac Expressway on the east. Major roads in the area include Exposition Boulevard, Enfield Road and Windsor Road. Tarrytown also encompasses the sub-neighborhood of Brown Herman.
Texas Health and Science University (THSU) is a private for-profit university with its main campus Austin, Texas and a second campus in San Antonio. It offers undergraduate and graduate degrees in business, acupuncture, and traditional Chinese medicine.
The Ashton is a 36-story residential skyscraper located in Austin, Texas. Completed in 2009, it is 412 feet (126 meters) high, making it the 10th tallest building in the city. The tower rises just 15 feet from its shorter neighbor to the east, 100 Congress. The Ashton was one of the first skyscrapers built in Austin during the city's 2006-2010 skyscraper boom. The building is notable for its extensive pool deck located atop the podium. The Ashton is the twin of a building of the same name in Dallas, Texas, though the Austin property is 16 stories taller.
The Domain is a high-density office, retail, and residential center owned and operated by Endeavor Real Estate Group, Cousins Properties, Simon Property Group, and Stonelake Capital Partners and is located in the high-tech corridor of northwest Austin, Texas, United States. It is bordered on the west by Union Pacific Railroad, on the west and north by Loop 1, on the south by Braker Lane, and on the east by Burnet Road. The initial phase of the project was completed in March 2007.
The Paramount Theatre is a live theatre venue/movie theatre located in downtown Austin, Texas. The classical revival style structure was built in 1915. The building was listed in the National Register of Historic Places on June 23, 1976.
Clock Knot is an outdoor painted steel sculpture by Mark di Suvero, installed on the University of Texas at Austin campus, in Austin, Texas, United States. The approximately 40-foot (12 m) sculpture was installed along Dean Keeton Street in 2007.
Mexic-Arte Museum is a fine arts museum in Austin, Texas. The Mission of the organization is to enrich and educate the community through the presentation and promotion of traditional and contemporary Mexican, Latino, and Latino art and culture.
Scholz Garten (also known as Scholz Beer Garden) is a beer garden and restaurant in downtown Austin, Texas and the oldest operating business in Texas.
The Union Building (also known the Texas Union Building or Student Union Building) is a building on the University of Texas at Austin campus, serving as a "college independent community center" or "living room" for students. Designed by Paul Cret, who also designed the Tower and Main Building, Goldsmith Hall and Texas Memorial Museum on the same campus, the Union was built in 1933 with funds provided by Texas Exes in a campaign led by Thomas Watt Gregory.
Westwood High School (abbreviated WHS) is a public, four-year secondary school in the Anderson Mill neighborhood, Austin, Texas, and is part of the Round Rock Independent School District.
Wooldridge Park, also known as Wooldridge Square, is an urban park in downtown Austin, Texas. The park consists of a city block containing a natural basin whose sides slope inward to form an amphitheater with a bandstand at its center. The park was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.
Buford Tower (formerly the Austin Fire Drill Tower) is a tower standing along the north shore of Lady Bird Lake in downtown Austin, Texas. The structure was originally built in 1930 as a drill tower for the Austin Fire Department, but it now serves as a bell tower and landmark. Named after fire department Captain James L. Buford, the structure has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 2016.
The Islamic Center of Greater Austin or ICGA is a mosque and Islamic community center in Austin, Texas in the United States.
The Seven Mustangs, or simply Mustangs, is a bronze sculpture by Alexander Phimister Proctor located on the campus of the University of Texas at Austin. The sculpture was commissioned in 1937, modeled from 1939 to 1941, cast in 1947 and dedicated on May 31, 1948.
Stevie Ray Vaughan Memorial is a bronze sculpture of Stevie Ray Vaughan by Ralph Helmick, in Austin, Texas, United States.
The Ann Richards School for Young Women Leaders is an all-girls college preparatory public school of choice for students in grades 6–12 located in Austin, Texas. The school is named for former Texas governor Ann Richards and is part of the Austin Independent School District. In 2015 it was named the 19th most challenging high school in the nation by The Washington Post.
The Texas Military Forces Museum (officially the Brigadier General John C.L. Scribner Texas Military Forces Museum) is a history museum in Austin, Texas. It is hosted by the Texas Military Department at Camp Mabry and is part of the United States Army Historical Program.
Franklin Barbecue is a barbecue restaurant located in Austin, Texas. In 2009, Aaron Franklin launched the restaurant in a trailer. The restaurant has sold out of brisket every day since its establishment. Franklin Barbecue moved to a brick and mortar location in 2011. The restaurant appeared on Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations in September 2012. In 2014, Texas Monthly listed the restaurant on its list of "the 50 Best BBQ Joints in the World." That July, President Barack Obama visited the restaurant and bought lunch for those in line behind him. The restaurant is prominently featured in a scene from the 2014 Jon Favreau film Chef, with speaking cameos by owner Aaron Franklin and general manager Benji Jacob.
Austin is an immersive work of art and architecture designed by artist Ellsworth Kelly and built on the grounds of the Blanton Museum of Art in Austin, Texas, USA. The building is a permanent installation and part of the museum's permanent collection.
Austin Peace Academy (APA) is an Islamic school in Austin, Texas, serving PreKindergarten through grade 12. As of 2016, its students originate from 19 nationalities. It opened in 1997 in West Campus, housing PreK-Kindergarten, and moved to current location in 1999. The school received its current name in 2003.
Travis County is located in south central Texas. As of the 2010 census, the population was 1,024,266; the estimated population in 2019 was 1,273,954. It is the fifth-most populous county in Texas. Its county seat is Austin, the capital of Texas. The county was established in 1840 and is named in honor of William Barret Travis, the commander of the Republic of Texas forces at the Battle of the Alamo.
Austin (US: , UK: ) is the capital city of the U.S. state of Texas, as well as the seat and largest city of Travis County, with portions extending into Hays and Williamson counties. Incorporated on December 27, 1839, it is the 11th-most populous city in the United States, the fourth-most-populous city in Texas, and the second-most-populous state capital city (after Phoenix, Arizona). It was also the fastest growing large city in the United States in 2015 and 2016. It is the southernmost state capital in the contiguous United States.
Darrell K Royal–Texas Memorial Stadium (formerly War Memorial Stadium, Memorial Stadium, and Texas Memorial Stadium), located in Austin, Texas, on the campus of the University of Texas, has been home to the Longhorns football team since 1924. The stadium has delivered a home field advantage with the team's home record through November 17, 2018 being 374–117–10 (76.4%). Prior to construction to build permanent south end zone seating and luxury suites, the official stadium seating capacity was 100,119, which made the stadium the largest in the Big 12 Conference, the eighth largest stadium in the United States, and the ninth largest stadium in the world.
The 360 Residential Condominiums skyscraper is located in Downtown Austin, Texas at 360 Nueces Street. The building itself stands 581 ft (177 m) tall with 44 floors, 430 condos, and over 14,000 sq ft (1,300 m2) of retail space. The building topped out in November 2007, and construction was officially completed on May 22, 2008. 360 Condominiums was the tallest building in Austin from January 15, 2008 to June 29, 2009 when The Austonian surpassed it. The tower also became the tallest residential tower in Texas, surpassing The Merc in Dallas before the Austonian also took that title. Currently, it is the fourth tallest building in Austin after The Independent, The Austonian, and the Fairmont Austin.
Austin Central Fire Station 1, is a fire station at 401 East Fifth Street in Downtown Austin, Texas, United States. It is a part of the Austin Fire Department.
Highland Mall was a shopping mall located in north Austin, Texas, United States, on Airport Boulevard west of I-35 and north of US Route 290. Opened in 1971, Highland Mall was Austin's first suburban shopping mall. Highland Mall was jointly owned by General Growth and Simon Property Group until 2011. Austin Community College began acquiring the surrounding land in 2010, assumed ownership of the last parcel it did not already control in August 2011. On April 29, 2015, Highland Mall officially closed its doors.
The Littlefield House is a historic home in Austin, Texas, on the campus of the University of Texas at Austin. The home was built in 1893 for Civil War veteran George Littlefield, who was a successful businessman in the bank and cattle trades and a major benefactor to UT. It was designed using the popular Victorian style at a cost of $50,000.
The Millett Opera House, home of the Austin Club, is a historic building in downtown Austin, Texas. Built in 1878 by local lumber seller Charles Millett on one of his lots, the house was one of the largest performance spaces in Texas upon its completion. It featured 800 removable seats, 24-inch limestone walls, and the largest enclosed space in Texas. The Opera House was designed by Frederick Ruffini, an architect working throughout Texas.
Central Christian Church is a major church in downtown Austin, Texas affiliated with the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ). Organized in 1847, it is one of the oldest congregations in the city.
Austin–Bergstrom International Airport or ABIA (IATA: AUS, ICAO: KAUS, FAA LID: AUS, formerly BSM) is a Class C international airport located in Austin, the capital of Texas, serving the Greater Austin metropolitan area.
Dobie Center, named after J. Frank Dobie, is a privately-owned 27-story residence hall located on the University of Texas at Austin campus. In addition to being a private residence for students, Dobie also contains a two-story mall, restaurants, and specialty stores.
The George Washington Carver Museum and Cultural Center is a museum and cultural center in east Austin, Texas, housed in the former George Washington Carver branch of the Austin Public Library. Named in honor of George Washington Carver, the facility has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 2005.
The Fairmont Austin is a 37-story hotel located on 101 Red River St, in Downtown Austin, Texas. Groundbreaking for the project began on November 3, 2014. The hotel, at 1,400,000 square feet (130,000 m2), is the largest of the Fairmont hotel chain. The hotel tops out at 595 feet (181 m) tall, surpassing Austin's previous tallest hotel, the Hilton Austin Hotel. The Fairmont Austin also features a skyway connection to the Austin Convention Center.
Moore's Crossing Historic District is a community located in rural Travis County nine miles southeast of Austin, Texas near the Austin–Bergstrom International Airport.
East César Chávez is a neighborhood in Austin, Texas. It is located in the central-east part of Austin's urban core on the north bank of the Colorado River. The neighborhood encompasses much of ZIP code 78702.
The Daniel H. and William T. Caswell Houses are two historic homes in downtown Austin, Texas completed near the turn of the 20th century.
The Texas Governor's Mansion, is a historic home for the Governor of Texas in downtown Austin, Texas. Designed by prominent architect Abner Cook, it was built in 1854 and has been the home of every governor since 1856. Governor Greg Abbott and First Lady Cecilia Phalen Abbott are the current residents.
Woodlawn, also known as the Pease Mansion as well as Governor Shiver's Mansion, is a pre-Civil War mansion located at 30.2871° -97.7581° in Austin, Texas. The Greek Revival style house was owned by two Texas governors. Some notable people that have visited the mansion include Sam Houston, General George Custer, Elisabet Ney, Will Rogers, and Edith Head. Woodlawn was added to the National Register of Historic Places on August 25, 1970.
The Aynesworth–Wright House is a historic Austin, Texas, house, built in 1852 and listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is now located at Pioneer Farms, 10621 Pioneer Farms Drive.
The 21st Street Co-op is a student housing cooperative in Austin, Texas housing 100 residents. It is part of the College Houses co-op system.
The Ann W. Richards Congress Avenue Bridge (formerly known simply as the Congress Avenue Bridge) crosses over Lady Bird Lake in Austin, Texas. Before construction of the Longhorn Dam was completed in 1960, the bridge crossed the Colorado River from which Lady Bird Lake is impounded. The bridge was known as the Congress Avenue Bridge from the construction of the first span across the Colorado River at that location in the late 19th century until November 16, 2006, when the Austin City Council renamed the current bridge in honor of Ann W. Richards, the 45th Governor of Texas and a long-term resident of Austin. The bridge is a concrete arch bridge with three southbound and three northbound vehicle lanes and sidewalks on both sides of the bridge.
The Dolph Briscoe Center for American History is an organized research unit and public service component of The University of Texas at Austin named for Dolph Briscoe, the 41st Governor of Texas. The Center collects and preserves documents and artifacts of key themes in Texas and United States history and makes the items available to researchers. The center also has permanent, touring, and online exhibits available to the public. The center's divisions include Research and Collections, the Sam Rayburn Museum, the Briscoe-Garner Museum, and Winedale.
The Lundberg Bakery (now known as the Old Bakery and Emporium) is a historic building in downtown Austin, Texas. It is located at 1006 Congress Avenue, half a block south of the Texas State Capitol grounds. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places on December 17, 1969.
Austin Public Library is a public library system serving Austin, Texas, United States. It is operated by the City of Austin and consists of the Central Library on Cesar Chavez Street (which replaced the old Faulk Central Library in 2017), the Austin History Center, 20 branches and the Recycled Reads bookstore and upcycling facility.
Akins High School is located in South Austin, Texas, United States. It was named after Dr. William Charles Akins, an Austin resident and founded in 2000. It is one of the newest high schools in the Austin Independent School District. Its current attendance exceeds 2,500 students. Akins High School competes on the 6A circuit in all of its UIL competitions.
Circuit of the Americas (COTA) is a grade 1 FIA-specification 3.426-mile (5.514 km) motor racing track and facilities located within the extraterritorial jurisdiction of Austin, Texas. The facility is home to the Formula One United States Grand Prix, the IndyCar Classic, and the Motorcycle Grand Prix of the Americas, a round of the FIM Road Racing World Championship, as well a round of the Americas Rallycross Championship. It previously hosted the Australian V8 Supercars, the American Le Mans Series, the Rolex Sports Car Series, the FIA World Endurance Championship, and the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship. The circuit will host the NASCAR Cup Series for the first time on May 23, 2021.