Coastguard’s Lookout Tower, now known as Telegraph Tower, is a Grade II listed structure built around 1814-16 on St Mary's, Isles of Scilly as a Signal station for the Admiralty.
The Halangy Down transmitter on St Mary's, Isles of Scilly is a 500-watt FM radio and television transmitter with a 76.2 metres (250 ft) high steel lattice tower, surmounted by a main TV antenna. It was built by the BBC in 1969 on Halangy Down which is 38.1 metres (125 ft) above sea level.
King Charles's Castle is a ruined artillery fort overlooking New Grimsby harbour on the island of Tresco in the Isles of Scilly. Built between 1548 and 1551 to protect the islands from French attack, it would have held a battery of guns and an accompanying garrison, designed to prevent enemy vessels from entering the harbour. The castle is polygonal in design, constructed from granite stone, with the gun battery at the front, and a dining room, kitchen and living accommodation at the rear. An additional defensive earthwork was constructed around it during the 17th century. The design of the castle is unusual for the period, and is only seen elsewhere in blockhouses along the River Thames.
Middle Town (Cornish: Tregres) is a small settlement on the island of St Martin's in the Isles of Scilly, England. It is situated slightly inland, approximately 0.4 miles (0.64 km) east of Lower Town Quay, and on the road between the larger settlements of Lower Town and Higher Town. There is a campsite between Middle Town and the nearest coast, which is generally to its south.
Pelistry (Cornish: Porth Lystry "cove for ships") is a small settlement, situated east of Maypole and north of Normandy, in the east of the island of St Mary's in the Isles of Scilly, England. The name is first recorded in 1650 as Porthlistrye.
Porthloo (sometimes spelled and often pronounced Porthlow; Cornish: Porth Logh "cove of the deep water inlet") is a coastal settlement on the island of St Mary's in the Isles of Scilly, England. It is situated about half a mile northeast of Hugh Town and is a popular tourist spot with a number of guest houses, a restaurant, several gift shops and art galleries.
Rocky Hill (Cornish: Breveynek) is a minor hill with a small settlement, on the island of St Mary's in the Isles of Scilly, England. Nearby are Porthloo and Longstone.
Das Entrance Grave (deutsch Eingangsgrab) von Kittern Hill liegt auf dem mit 34 m höchsten Hügel der Scilly-Insel Gugh in Cornwall in England.
Tresco (Cornish: Enys Skaw, meaning "island of elder-trees") is the second-biggest island of the Isles of Scilly in Cornwall, England. It is 297 ha (1.15 sq mi) in size, measuring about 3.5 km (2.2 mi) by 1.75 km (1.09 mi).
Gugh (; Cornish: Keow, meaning "hedge banks") could be described as the sixth inhabited island of the Isles of Scilly, but is usually included with St Agnes with which it is joined by a sandy tombolo known as "The Bar" when exposed at low tide. The island is only about 1 km (0.62 mi) long and about 0.5 km (0.31 mi) wide, with the highest point, Kittern Hill at 34 m (112 ft). The geology consists of Hercynian granite with shallow podzolic soils on the higher ground and deeper sandy soils on the lower ground. The former Gugh farm is just north of the neck across the middle of the island between the two hills. The two houses were designed and built in the 1920s by Charles Hamlet Cooper. The name is often mispronounced as "Goo", "Guff" or even "Gogh".
Annet (Cornish: Anet, kittiwake) is the second largest of the fifty or so uninhabited Isles of Scilly, 1 kilometre (0.62 mi) west of St Agnes with a length of 1 kilometre (0.62 mi) and approximately 22 hectares (54 acres) in area. The low-lying island is almost divided in two by a narrow neck of land at West Porth which can, at times, be covered by waves. At the northern end of the island are the two granite carns of Annet Head and Carn Irish and three smaller carns known as the Haycocks. The rocky outcrops on the southern side of the island, such as South Carn, are smaller. Annet is a bird sanctuary and the main seabird breeding site in Scilly.
Tresco Heliport (ICAO: EGHT) is a heliport located on the island of Tresco, in the Isles of Scilly off the southwest coast of England, UK. The heliport was served by a scheduled helicopter service from 1983 to 2012, and since 2020 a new scheduled service now operates from the new Penzance Heliport. Currently, Tresco Heliport offers a landing site for private and charter helicopters by private arrangement.
Old Town (Cornish: Treveglos "church town") is a village on St Mary's in the Isles of Scilly located southeast of Hugh Town. It is thought to be the oldest settlement on the island.
Bant's Carn is a Bronze Age entrance grave located on a steep slope on the island of St Mary's in the Isles of Scilly, England. The tomb is one of the best examples of a Scillonian entrance grave. Below Bant's Carn, lies the remains of the Iron Age village of Halangy Down.
Hugh Town (Cornish: Treworenys or Tre Huw) is the largest settlement on the Isles of Scilly and its administrative centre. The town is situated on the island of St Mary's, the largest and most populous island in the archipelago, and is located on a narrow isthmus which joins the peninsula known as the Garrison (historically the Hugh) with the rest of the island.
Rosevear (Cornish: Ros Veur "great promontory") is the largest (0.63 hectares (1.6 acres)) of the group of rocks known as the Western Rocks, Isles of Scilly. The islands are on eastern side of the Atlantic Ocean on the south-west approaches to the island of Great Britain and are renowned for the numerous shipwrecks in the area and the nearby Bishop Rock lighthouse. All the uninhabited islands are owned by the Duchy of Cornwall and are managed by the Isles of Scilly Wildlife Trust, which looks after the archaeological and historical remains on the islands, as well as the flora and fauna. Landing is not allowed on the island.
Bryher (Cornish: Breyer "place of hills") is one of the smallest inhabited islands of the Isles of Scilly, with a population of 84 in 2011, spread across 134 hectares (1.34 km2).
St Mary's (Cornish: Ennor, meaning The Mainland) is the largest and most populous island of the Isles of Scilly, an archipelago off the southwest coast of Cornwall in England.
Innisidgen (Cornish: Enys Ojyon, meaning Ox Island) is the site of two Bronze Age entrance graves on the island of St Mary's in the Isles of Scilly. The two burial monuments, (Upper and Lower Innisidgen) lie on a steep slope of Innisidgen Hill overlooking Crow Sound with a view towards the Eastern Isles.
Teän ( TEE-ən, sometimes written Tean without the diaeresis; Cornish: Enys Tian) is an uninhabited island to the north of the Isles of Scilly archipelago between Tresco, 1.5 kilometres (0.9 mi) to the west, and St Martin's, 300 metres (330 yd) to the east. Approximately 16 hectares (40 acres) in area, the island consists of a series of granite tors with the highest point, Great Hill, rising to 40 metres (130 ft) at its eastern end. The low-lying land is overlain with glacial till and outwash gravels with glacial erratics abundant on the north coast beaches, which indicates the southern limit of outwash from an ice sheet for which it is designated a Geological Conservation Review site.
Gweal (Cornish: Gwydhyel "place of trees") is one of the Isles of Scilly. It is the largest of the seven Norrard Rocks due west of Bryher. The name perhaps refers back to a time before most of the islands' area was inundated.
Halangy Down (or Halangy Down Ancient Village) is a prehistoric settlement located on the island of St Mary's, in the Isles of Scilly. The ancient site covers the lower slope of Halangy Down hill, overlooking the coastal inlet between the island of St. Mary's and Tresco Island. On the site are the remains of an Iron Age village, two entrance graves, prehistoric field systems, standing stones, post-medieval breastworks, and a Victorian kelp pit. The settlement was in continuous use for 500 years, from the late Iron Age until the end of the Roman occupation in Britain.
St Agnes (Cornish: Agenys) is the southernmost populated island of the Isles of Scilly. Thus the island's Troy Town Farm is the southernmost settlement in the United Kingdom.
Porth Hellick Down is a Neolithic and Bronze Age archeological site located on the island of St Mary's, in the Isles of Scilly in Great Britain. The ancient burial monument encompasses a large cairn cemetery that includes at least six entrance graves, other unchambered cairns, and a prehistoric field system. The site is notable for having the largest assembly of surviving entrance graves.
St Martin's Church, St Martin's is a Grade II listed parish church in the Church of England located in St Martin's, Isles of Scilly, UK.
St Mary's Church, St Mary's is a parish church in the Church of England located in Hugh Town, St Mary's, Isles of Scilly, UK. The Church was consecrated on 7 September 1838 and replaced the church at Old Town which was inconvenient for the Hugh Town population and in need of repair.
St Mary's Lifeboat Station is situated in St Mary's Harbour, Isles of Scilly and has been an important station for the Royal National Lifeboat Institution since the service began in 1837, however without a service between 1855 and 1874.
The Norrard (Northern) Rocks are a group of small uninhabited granite rocks in the north–western part of the Isles of Scilly, to the west of Bryher and Samson. In 1971 they were designated as a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) for their breeding seabird colonies and they are permanently closed to landings from boat passengers. The vegetation on the islands is limited by the extreme exposure and only six species of flowering plants have been recorded.
Samson (Cornish: (Enys) Sampson) is the largest uninhabited island of the Isles of Scilly, off the southwestern tip of the Cornish peninsula of Great Britain. It is 38 hectares (0.15 sq mi) in size. The island consists of two hills, North Hill and South Hill, which are connected by an isthmus. Samson was named after Samson of Dol.
St Martin's (Cornish: Brechiek, meaning "dappled island") is the northernmost populated island of the Isles of Scilly, England. It has an area of 237 hectares (0.92 sq mi).
St Mary's Old Church, St Mary's is a parish church in the Church of England located in Old Town on St Mary's, Isles of Scilly, Cornwall, United Kingdom.
St Mary's Airport or Isles of Scilly Airport (IATA: ISC, ICAO: EGHE) is an airport located 1 nautical mile (1.9 km; 1.2 mi) east of Hugh Town on St Mary's in the Isles of Scilly, to the south west of Cornwall, UK. It is the only airport serving the Isles of Scilly, handling all air traffic to and from the Islands. The airport is owned by the Duchy of Cornwall and currently is operated by the Council of the Isles of Scilly.
Tresco Abbey Gardens are located on the island of Tresco in the Isles of Scilly, United Kingdom. The 17 acre gardens were established by the nineteenth-century proprietor of the islands, Augustus Smith, originally as a private garden within the grounds of the home he designed and built. The gardens are designated at Grade I in the Register of Historic Parks and Gardens.
St. Agnes lighthouse is a 17th century lighthouse situated on St Agnes on the Isles of Scilly. It was the second to be built in the western approaches (after the Lizard lighthouse of 1619); it was also only the second lighthouse station to be established by Trinity House (after Lowestoft in 1609).
Star Castle is a fortress on St Mary's, Isles of Scilly, built in 1593 by Robert Adams, Surveyor of the Royal Works (d.1595) and Francis Godolphin, Captain of the Scilly Isles, during the "Spanish invasion scare."
Tamarisk, or Tamarisk House, is a house belonging to the Duchy of Cornwall, on St Mary's in the Isles of Scilly, in the United Kingdom off the coast of Cornwall.
Holy Vale (Cornish: Hal an Val) is a minor valley and small settlement within, on the island of St Mary's, the largest of the Isles of Scilly, England. Situated inland, nearby are Maypole and Longstone.
Maypole (Cornish: Peul Kala' Me) is a dispersed settlement located on the island of St Mary's, the largest of the Isles of Scilly, England. It is a tourist and farming area, with the only horse riding school in the islands.
The Old Blockhouse, also known as the Dover Fort, is a 16th-century fortification on the island of Tresco in the Isles of Scilly. It was built between 1548 and 1551 by the government of Edward VI to protect the islands against French attack.
Higher Town (Cornish: Trewartha) is the easternmost and largest settlement on the island of St Martin's in the Isles of Scilly, England. It is situated just inland, though the more modern of the island's two quays is just south of the settlement and is named Higher Town Quay.
Normandy is a small settlement on the island of St Mary's, the largest of the Isles of Scilly, England. It is located in the east of the island, between Pelistry (to the north) and Porth Hellick (to the south) on the A3110 road.
Longstone is small settlement on the island of St Mary's, the largest of the Isles of Scilly, England. Nearby is Holy Vale and Rocky Hill. Longstone is located inland, at the approximate geographic centre of the island.
Trenoweth (; Cornish: Trenoweth "new town") is a small settlement, located in the north of the island of St Mary's in the Isles of Scilly, Cornwall, England.
Wesleyan Methodist Church, Hugh Town, Isles of Scilly was a Wesleyan Methodist church in Hugh Town, Isles of Scilly from 1790. It is currently Grade II listed and functions as an office of the Council of the Isles of Scilly.
Round Island Lighthouse (Cornish: Golowji an Voth "the hump lighthouse"), in the Isles of Scilly was designed by William Tregarthen Douglass for Trinity House and completed in 1887. At the time of building it was one of three lights in the Isles of Scilly, the others being the Bishop Rock and St Agnes lighthouse. The light was modernised in 1966, automated in 1987 and the island designated as a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) in 1995. It is now managed by the Isles of Scilly Wildlife Trust, and except for the maintenance of the Grade II listed lighthouse, landing is not allowed.
Harry's Walls are the remains of an unfinished artillery fort, started in 1551 by the government of Edward VI to defend the island of St Mary's in the Isles of Scilly. Constructed to defend the harbour of Hugh Town from possible French attack, the fortification incorporated Italianate-style bastions with protective orillons and would have been the most advanced design in the kingdom at the time. It was not completed, probably due to a shortage of funds and the passing of the invasion threat, and only the south-west side remains. In the 21st century, Harry's Walls are managed by English Heritage and open to visitors.
Cromwell's Castle is an artillery fort overlooking New Grimsby harbour on the island of Tresco in the Isles of Scilly. It comprises a tall, circular gun tower and an adjacent gun platform, and was designed to prevent enemy naval vessels from entering the harbour. The castle was built in two phases; Sir Robert Blake constructed the tower between 1651 and 1652 in the aftermath of the Parliamentary invasion of the islands at the end of the English Civil War, and Master Gunner Abraham Tovey added the gun platform during the War of Jenkins' Ear around 1739. The tower fell into disuse soon afterwards, and in the 21st century is managed by English Heritage and open to visitors.
New Grimsby (Cornish: Enysgrymm Nowyth) is a coastal settlement on the island of Tresco in the Isles of Scilly, England. It is located on the west side of the island and there is a quay, as well as a public house, The New Inn, and a small art gallery.
Middle Town (Cornish: Tregres) is a small settlement on the island of St Agnes. It includes the island's primary school, post office and general store, and the old lighthouse (built 1680).
Burnt Island is a small, uninhabited island in the Isles of Scilly, Cornwall, United Kingdom. It is covered in thrift and long grasses. and is linked to the island of St Agnes at low tide. It is approximately 150 metres long and 125 metres wide and is oblong in shape.