Devonport (UK: DEV-ən-pot, US: DEV-ən-port) formerly named Plymouth Dock or just Dock, is a district of Plymouth in the county of Devon, England, although it was, at one time, the more important settlement. It became a county borough in 1889. Devonport was originally one of the "Three Towns" (along with Plymouth and East Stonehouse); these merged in 1914 to form what would become in 1928 the City of Plymouth. It is represented in the Parliament of the United Kingdom as part of the Plymouth Sutton and Devonport constituency. Its elected Member of Parliament (MP) is Luke Pollard, who is a member of the Labour and Co-operative Party. The population of the ward at the 2011 census was 14,788.
Arts University Plymouth is a public university located in Plymouth in South West England. The former Plymouth College of Art was officially granted university status in 2022. In April 2019 the specialist college was awarded taught degree awarding powers (TDAP) by the Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education (QAA), granting the institution the authority to award and accredit its own BA (Hons) degrees and Masters awards.
Plymouth Friary railway station was the London and South Western Railway's terminus in the city of Plymouth, in Devon, England, between 1876 and 1958.
The Plymouth Gin Distillery, also known as the Black Friars Distillery, is a gin manufacturer on The Barbican, Plymouth, England. It is the only gin distillery in the city, and the only location certified to produce its protected style of Plymouth Gin. The original building opens on to what is now Southside Street. Established in 1793, it is the oldest operating distillery in Britain.
Plymouth High School for Girls (PHSG) is a girls' grammar school founded in 1874. It is located on St Lawrence Road in Plymouth, Devon, England, close to Mutley Plain and Plymouth city centre.
Plymouth Hoe, referred to locally as The Hoe, is a large south-facing open public space in the English coastal city of Plymouth, Devon.
Plymouth Marine Laboratory (abbreviated as PML) is a marine research organization and registered charity based in the city of Plymouth, England. It is a partner of the UK Research & Innovation's Natural Environment Research Council (NERC). PML's chair is Janice Timberlake, its chief executive is Prof. Icarus Allen and its patron is the film-maker James Cameron.
Plymouth Millbay was the original railway terminus that served the city of Plymouth, in Devon, England. It was used for passenger trains from 1849 to 1941; it was rebuilt in 1903.
The Minster Church of St Andrew, also known as St Andrew's Church, Plymouth is an Anglican church in Plymouth, Devon in England. It is the original parish church of Sutton, one of the three towns which were later combined to form the city of Plymouth. The church is the largest parish church in the historic county of Devon and was built in the mid to late 15th century. The church was heavily damaged during the Plymouth Blitz but was rebuilt after the war. It was designated as a Minster Church in 2009 and it continues to operate as the focus for religious civic events for the city and as a conservative evangelical church.
The Plymouth Naval Memorial is a war memorial in Plymouth, Devon, England which is dedicated to British and Commonwealth sailors who were lost in World War I and World War II with no known grave.
Plymouth Arena (known as Plymouth Pavilions until 2026) is an entertainment and sports complex in Plymouth, Devon, England. It is used as an entertainment venue and also for corporate hire.
The Plymouth Synagogue, also called the Plymouth Hebrew Congregation, is an Orthodox Jewish congregation and synagogue, located on Catherine Street, in the city of Plymouth, Devon, England, in the United Kingdom. The congregation was formed in c. 1740s and worships in the Ashkenazi rite.
Plympton is a suburb of the city of Plymouth in Devon, England. It is in origin an ancient stannary town. It was an important trading centre for locally mined tin, and a seaport before the River Plym silted up and trade moved down river to Plymouth and was the seat of Plympton Priory the most significant local landholder for many centuries.
Plymstock School is a state comprehensive secondary school (ages 11–19) in Plymstock, a suburb of Plymouth, Devon, England. It was the first West Devon comprehensive school (built on the core of a post war secondary school) and is now a specialist sports college. As of January 2011 it has 1,626 students, of whom 240 are in the sixth form. In April 2011, the school became an academy.
Plympton Academy (formerly, The Ridgeway School and, before that, Plympton County Secondary School) is a state secondary school in Plympton, Plymouth, England. It is a mixed, non-denominational academy school.
The Royal Citadel in Plymouth, Devon, England, was built in the late 1660s to the design of Sir Bernard de Gomme. It is at the eastern end of Plymouth Hoe overlooking Plymouth Sound, and encompasses the site of the earlier fort that had been built in the time of Sir Francis Drake. The citadel site is a Scheduled Monument and many of the buildings within are Grade II Listed.
Southway is a large suburban housing estate in north-west Plymouth in the English county of Devon. The name is believed to have derived from the route into Plymouth often used by Buckland Abbey monks, which was known as the "South Way".
Plymouth Coliseum, formerly known as St Boniface Arena, is a rugby field and speedway venue in Plymouth, Devon. It is situated adjacent to the River Plym near Marsh Mills.
St Budeaux is an area and ward in the north west of Plymouth in the English county of Devon.
St Dunstan's Abbey, Plymouth was an abbey in Plymouth, Devon, England. The Sisters of the Most Holy Trinity under Priscilla Lydia Sellon with the support of the Henry Phillpotts, Bishop of Exeter founded an Anglican convent in New North Road.
Stoke, also referred to by its earlier name of Stoke Damerel, is an inner suburb of the city of Plymouth, in the ceremonial county of Devon, England.
Stoke Damerel Community College is a coeducational secondary school and sixth form located in Stoke, Plymouth, England.
Stonehouse Creek, in Plymouth (England), is also known as Stonehouse Lake (on many maps). The Creek was dominated by two military buildings, the Royal Naval Hospital and the Stoke Military Hospital, which faced each other.
Plymouth Science Park, previously known as Tamar Science Park, is a science and technology park located in Plymouth, Devon, in southern England.
Brickfields Recreation Ground is a sports stadium and multi-sport complex in Devonport, Plymouth, England. It is run by EveryoneActive on behalf of Plymouth City Council, and is the home ground of Rugby Union team Plymouth Albion of the National League 1, who moved there in 2003, after leaving their old ground at Beacon Park. The highest crowd was 6,871, for a match against local rivals Exeter Chiefs in October 2008.
Theatre Royal, Plymouth, is a theatre venue in Plymouth, Devon. It consists of a 1,300-seat main auditorium, The Lyric, which regularly hosts large-scale musicals, opera and ballet; a 200-seat studio, The Drum; and a 50-seat studio, The Lab. On a separate site, Theatre Royal Plymouth also has a production and learning centre, TR2, featuring rehearsal studios and workshops for the production of set and costumes.
Plymouth Marjon University, commonly referred to as Marjon, is the trading name of the University of St Mark and St John, a university based primarily on a single campus on the northern edge of Plymouth, Devon, United Kingdom. Formerly named University College Plymouth St Mark & St John, the institution was awarded full university status in 2013.
The University of Plymouth Students' Union (UPSU) is based on the University of Plymouth campus, in the Drake Circus area of Plymouth, Devon, England.
Weston Mill is a district in the ward of Ham, which is part of the City of Plymouth, Devon, England. It consists of two parts Weston Mill Village which was first mentioned in the Domesday Book in 1155 and the other part which dates to the Victorian period, they are separated by Weston Mill Hill, which is the only street with this name. It shares its borders with Ham Woods Nature Reserve, King's Tamerton, St. Budeaux and Camels Head. The area derived its name from being the mill belonging to the tithing, Geoffrey de Weston. It is situated close to the major naval base Devonport Dockyard, and the majority of the housing in the area is privately owned. The A3064 'St. Budeaux Bypass' also runs through the area. Together with King's Tamerton the area's population in the 2001 census, was 4,647, of which 50.2 per cent were male and 49.8 per cent were female.
Whitleigh is a district area and is in the electoral ward of Budshead in the city of Plymouth in the county of Devon. it had district borders with Southway, Honicknowle, West park, Crownhill and St Budeaux. Whitleigh has a population of 7870 (2017)
Hooe is a suburb of Plymstock, Plymouth in the English county of Devon.
The Palace Theatre is a disused theatre in Union Street, Plymouth, Devon in south west England. It opened in 1898 as a music hall but was damaged by fire only three months after opening, and was re-opened in 1899 as the New Palace Theatre of Varieties. In 1961 it was converted to a bingo hall, but later reverted to being a theatre as the Palace Theatre until 1983, when it became The Academy disco and finally operated as the Dance Academy, before being closed after Class A drugs were found on the premises.
The Church of the Ascension is a Grade II listed Church of England church in the suburb of Crownhill in Plymouth, Devon. It was designed by the architect Robert Potter and consecrated in 1958.
Devonport High School for Boys is an 11–18 boys grammar school and academy in Plymouth, Devon, England. It has around 1,150 boys, and its catchment area includes southwest Devon and southeast Cornwall as well as Plymouth. Pupils are accepted on the basis of academic aptitude.
Laira – previously recorded as Lare (1591), Lary poynte (1638), the Leerie (1643), and the Lairy (1802) – was originally the name given to that part of the estuary of the River Plym from the Cattewater up to Marsh Mills in Plymouth, Devon, England. The name may derive from a Brythonic word corresponding to the Welsh llaeru, meaning 'to ebb'.
West Hoe is an area of Plymouth in the English county of Devon.
St Budeaux Church of England Primary Academy is a Church of England primary school in the St Budeaux area of Plymouth, England, for pupils aged 2–11. There are 172 pupils.
UTC Plymouth is a university technical college (UTC) that opened in the Devonport area of Plymouth, Devon, England in September 2013.
Stoke Damerel Church, also known as the Church of St Andrew with St Luke, is a Church of England church in Stoke, Plymouth, Devon, England. Dating from the 15th century, the church has been Grade II* listed since 1954. In addition to its listed status, the northern churchyard gate piers are also Grade II listed, alongside two 19th-century tombs, one of which belongs to Captain Tobias Furneaux.
The Armada Memorial is a monument on Plymouth Hoe in Plymouth, Devon, England. Built in 1888, the monument celebrates the tercentenary of the defeat of the Spanish Armada, which was sighted by English captains stationed in the city. It is a granite structure, decorated with bronze crests and a statue of Britannia.
Plymouth Castle was a castle built in the early 15th century to defend the town and harbour of Plymouth in Devon, England. By the end of the 16th century it had ceased to have any military function and fell into disrepair, being almost completely demolished by the 19th century. Only a small fragment of an outer gatehouse remains.
Bowden Fort is a former 19th-century fort, built as a result of the Royal Commission on National Defence of 1859. Part of an extensive scheme known as Palmerston Forts, after the prime minister who championed the scheme, it was built to defend the landward approaches to the north east of Plymouth, as an element of the plan for the defence of the Royal Naval Dockyard at Devonport.
Fort Efford is a former 19th-century Fort, built as a result of the Royal Commission on National Defence of 1859. It was built to defend the landward approaches to the North East of Plymouth. This was part of an overall scheme for the defence of the Royal Naval Dockyard at Devonport, Plymouth. They were known as Palmerston Forts after the Prime Minister who championed the scheme.
Longcause Community Special School is a special school for students aged 4 to 16 with learning difficulties. The college has about 100 students.
InterCity Place is a 11 storey building at Plymouth railway station, the main rail station in Plymouth, Devon. The building was previously called Intercity House and was used as an office building.
Plymouth Athenaeum, located in Plymouth, England, is a society dedicated to the promotion of learning in the fields of science, technology, literature and art.
Stonehouse Barracks, or RM Stonehouse, is a military installation at Stonehouse, Plymouth. It is the home of the UK Commando Force and referred to by commandos as 'the spiritual home of the Royal Marines'.
The Ship is an office building in Derriford, Plymouth, England. It was designed by Nicholas Grimshaw and is constructed of glass and steel in the form of a ship. It was the offices of The Herald and Western Morning News for many years until their move to Millbay in 2013.
Admiralty House is a substantial building at Mount Wise, Devonport, Plymouth. It is a Grade II listed building.
Sutton Harbour, formerly known as Sutton Pool, is the original port of Plymouth in Devon, England. It is still a busy fishing port and marina and is bounded on one side by the historic Barbican district. It is famous as the last departure point in England of the Mayflower, the ship that carried the Pilgrim Fathers to the New World.
The Church of St John the Evangelist in Plymouth, Devon, England is a grade II listed Anglican parish church. It was built 1851-1855 by Benjamin Ferrey, who had been a pupil of Pugin.
The Royal Naval Hospital, Stonehouse was a medical facility for naval officers and other ranks at Stonehouse, Plymouth. It was opened in 1760, so becoming the second Royal Naval Hospital in Great Britain (after RNH Haslar, which had first received patients some seven years earlier). When in operation, it was officially known as Royal Hospital, Plymouth (or Royal Naval Hospital, Plymouth).
A memorial to Michael Foot is situated in Freedom Fields Park in Plymouth, Devon. Foot was born in Plymouth, and served as Member of Parliament for Plymouth Devonport between 1945 and 1955. The memorial stands opposite the house where Foot was born.
Lucas Terrace railway station, also known as Lucas Terrace Halt railway station, served the area of Lucas Terrace, Plymouth, England from 1905 to 1951 on the Plymouth to Yealmpton Branch.
Turnchapel railway station served the suburb of Turnchapel, Plymouth, England from 1897 to 1961 on the Turnchapel Branch.
Oreston railway station served the suburb of Oreston, Plymouth, England from 1897 to 1961 on the Turnchapel Branch.
Plymstock railway station served the suburb of Plymstock, Plymouth, England from 1892 to 1961 on the Plymouth to Yealmpton Branch.
St Boniface's Church is a Church of England church in St Budeaux, Plymouth, Devon, England. The original church was built between 1911 and 1913 to the designs of London architect William Douglas Caröe. Caröe's plans for the west end of the building, including a proposed tower, were never realised, although a concrete extension designed by Plymouth architects Evans & Sloggett was added in 1965.
St Philip's Church is a Church of England church in Weston Mill, Plymouth, Devon, England. The original church was built between 1912 and 1913 and was demolished for housing in 2014. The adjacent former church hall of 1981 has been the present St Philip's Church since 2012.
Plymouth coach station is a terminus for intercity bus services located in Plymouth, England.
Bolitho Park is a football stadium in Plymouth, England, which is the home of Plymouth Parkway, of The Southern League Premier Division South. It currently has a capacity of 3,500, 250 seated.
Ford is a Victorian-built area of Plymouth, in the ceremonial county of Devon, England. It lies 1.6 miles (2.6 km) north-west of the city centre, between the suburbs of Milehouse and Keyham.
Forder Battery is a former 19th-century fort, built as a result of the Royal Commission on National Defence of 1859. Part of an extensive scheme known as Palmerston Forts, after the prime minister who championed the scheme, it was built to defend the landward approaches to the north east of Plymouth, as an element of the plan for the defence of the Royal Naval Dockyard at Devonport.
Plymouth Albion Rugby Football Club is a rugby union club who play in Plymouth, England. The present club was founded in 1920 from a merger between Plymouth RFC (founded 1876) and Devonport Albion RFC (founded 1876). Since 2003 they have played their home games at The Brickfields stadium. Albion's traditional strip and club colours are white, cherry and green.
Plymouth Guildhall is located on Guildhall Square in the city centre of Plymouth, Devon, England. It is a Grade II listed building.
Plymouth Lifeboat Station is housed in the Old Custom House, a Grade II-listed three-storey tower on Custom House Lane in Plymouth, a Port city on the east bank of the River Tamar estuary, on the south-east coast of the county of Devon, England.
Derry's Clock Tower (or Derry's Cross) is a free-standing clock tower in the city of Plymouth, England.
The Prince Christian Victor Memorial is a war memorial on The Hoe in Plymouth. It was erected in 1902 to commemorate the death of Prince Christian Victor of Schleswig-Holstein, the eldest son of Queen Victoria's third daughter Princess Helena. He died of typhoid fever during the Second Boer War. It became a Grade II listed building in 1975.
Plymouth Civic Centre is the former headquarters of Plymouth City Council on Armada Way in Plymouth, Devon, England. The building is in two sections, comprising a 14-storey tower block which housed the council's offices, and a two-storey southern wing called the Council House which includes the council chamber and is linked to the tower block by a bridge at first floor level. The building was completed in 1962. The council sold the tower block part of the building in 2015, but the Council House remains the council's meeting place. The whole complex has been a Grade II listed building since 2007.
Royal Marines Tamar or more commonly RM Tamar, is a Royal Marines military installation specialising in landing craft training and operations located on the northern bank of Weston Mill Lake at the north end of HMNB Devonport at Plymouth in Devon.
Elburton Cross railway station served the suburb of Plymstock, Devon, England from 1898 to 1960 on the Plymouth to Yealmpton Branch. It was situated 1 mile 77 chains (3 km) from Plymstock station and 5 miles 68 chains (9 km) of Plymouth Millbay station.
Billacombe railway station served the village of Billacombe, Devon, England from 1898 on 1960 on the Plymouth to Yealmpton Branch.
Ford (Devon) railway station was originally named Ford railway station and stood at the eastern end of Station Road, Keyham Barton in Plymouth, South Devon.
Messenger is a large statue in Plymouth, England, created by the Cornish artist Joseph Hillier, depicting a female actor crouching in preparation to run onstage. It was commissioned by and installed outside the Theatre Royal in 2019 in preparation for the city's Mayflower 400 celebrations.
Plymbridge Woods is a woodland in Plympton, Devon, England managed by The National Trust. The woods are named after the historic Plymbridge, a Grade II listed bridge over the River Plym. Drake's Trail passes through the woods providing a cycling and walking route. There is a range of wildlife, birds and flora.
Fort Austin is a former 19th-century Fort, built as a result of the Royal Commission on National Defence of 1859. It was built to defend the landward approaches to the North East of Plymouth. This was part of an overall scheme for the defence of the Royal Naval Dockyard at Devonport. They were known as Palmerston Forts after the Prime Minister who championed the scheme.
Plymouth Marjon Football Club is a football club based in Plymouth, Devon. They are currently members of the Devon League and play at The Campus on Derriford Road.
Egg Buckland Keep is a former 19th-century fortified barracks, built as a result of the Royal Commission on National Defence of 1859. Part of an extensive scheme known as Palmerston Forts, after the prime minister who championed the scheme, it was built to defend the landward approaches to the north east of Plymouth, as an element of the plan for the defence of the Royal Naval Dockyard at Devonport. The keep was designed to house the garrison for the nearby Forder Battery, Bowden Fort and Fort Austin.
Salisbury Road Primary School is a coeducational primary school located on Salisbury Road in Plymouth, Devon, England. The school served as a major military hospital during the First World War.
Plymouth ( PLIM-əth) is a port city and unitary authority in Devon, England. It is located on the county's south coast between the rivers Plym and Tamar, about 36 miles (58 km) south-west of Exeter and 193 miles (311 km) south-west of London. It is the most populous settlement in Devon.
Tamerton Foliot ( ) is a village situated in the north of Plymouth, in the Plymouth district, in the ceremonial county of Devon, England. It also lends its name to the ecclesiastical parish of the same name.
Home Park is a football stadium in the area of Milehouse, Plymouth, Devon, England. With a capacity of 17,900, the ground has been the home of Plymouth Argyle Football Club since 1903, and was also used between 1900 and 1903 by Argyle Athletic club and Argyle F.C. and for athletics and rugby. The amateur Argyle F.C. later formed the modern-day professional Plymouth Argyle F.C. in 1903.
Plymouth railway station serves the city of Plymouth, Devon, England. It is on the northern edge of the city centre, close to the North Cross roundabout. It is the third busiest station in the county of Devon and the largest of the six surviving stations in Plymouth.
His Majesty's Naval Base, Devonport (HMNB Devonport) is the largest naval base in Western Europe, and one of three operating bases in the United Kingdom for the Royal Navy. It is the sole nuclear repair and refuelling facility for the Royal Navy. HMNB Devonport is located in Devonport, in the west of the city of Plymouth, England.
Drake's Island is a 6.5-acre (2.6-hectare) island approximately 500 metres from land in Plymouth Sound, the stretch of water south of the city of Plymouth, Devon. The rocks which make up the island are volcanic tuff and lava, together with marine limestone of the Devonian period. For more than 400 years the island was fortified.
The Cathedral Church of Saint Mary and Saint Boniface in Plymouth, England, is the seat of the Bishop of Plymouth and mother church of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Plymouth, which covers the counties of Cornwall, Devon and Dorset. The Diocese of Plymouth was created in 1850 after the issuing of the papal bull Universalis Ecclesiae. In 1858 the new condign cathedral was opened and put under the patronage of the Virgin Mary and Saint Boniface, the latter thought to have been born in Crediton in the area of the diocese.
The University of Plymouth is a public research university based predominantly in Plymouth, England, where the main campus is located, but the university has campuses and affiliated colleges across South West England. With 18,410 students, it is the 57th largest in the United Kingdom by total number of students (including the Open University).
The National Marine Aquarium, which opened in May 1998, is situated in Plymouth in south-west England. It is the largest aquarium in the UK and houses over 5,000 animals.
Plymouth College is a co-educational private school in Plymouth, Devon.
Plymstock is a commuter suburb of Plymouth and former civil parish in the English county of Devon.
Saltram House is a grade I listed George II era house in Plympton, Devon, England. It was deemed by the architectural critic Nikolaus Pevsner to be "the most impressive country house in Devon". The house was designed by the architect Robert Adam, who altered and greatly expanded the original Tudor house on two occasions. The Saloon is considered one of Adam's finest interiors. Saltram is one of Britain's best-preserved examples of an early Georgian house, and retains much of its original décor, plasterwork and furnishings. It contains the Parker family's large collection of paintings, including several by Sir Joshua Reynolds (1723–1792), who was born and educated at Plympton, and was a friend of the Parker family.
Keyham railway station is a suburban station in the city of Plymouth, Devon, England. It is 249 miles 25 chains (401.2 km) from London Paddington via Box and Plymouth Millbay. The station is close to the Devonport dockyard.
Smeaton's Tower is the reconstructed upper section of the third Eddystone Lighthouse, now a memorial to its designer, civil engineer John Smeaton. A major step forward in lighthouse design, Smeaton's structure was in use from 1759 to 1877, until erosion of the ledge it was built upon forced new construction. The tower was largely dismantled and rebuilt on Plymouth Hoe in Plymouth, Devon, where it stands today.
All Saints Church of England Academy, Plymouth is an academy school and business and enterprise college that opened in September 2010 on the existing John Kitto Community College site on Honicknowle Lane in Pennycross, Plymouth, England near the A38.
The Armada Centre is a shopping centre in Plymouth, England. It was established in 1986 and refurbished in 2004.
Barne Barton is an area within St Budeaux, Plymouth, Devon, England.
Boringdon Hall is a 16th-century Grade I listed manor house, which is now a 5 star hotel with flagship Gaia spa - and MICHELIN starred Àclèaf restaurant in the parish of Colebrook, about two miles north of Plympton, Devon.
Cattedown is an inner city suburb of Plymouth, Devon. Its position beside the River Plym estuary just short of the mouth led to its early settlement. It is believed that the name Cattedown (and the nearby Cattewater) originated from a rocky outcrop nearby on the River Plym that looked like a cat.
Plymouth's Central Park is situated to the north-east of Plymouth city centre in south-west Devon, England. Covering 68 hectares, Central Park is the largest park in Plymouth. It was created in 1928 with the aim to improve the health of the city's residents. The park is trust land; developments on the land must be for the purpose of leisure activities.
City College Plymouth is a tertiary institution and further education college in South West England offering a range of technical, professional and vocational qualifications, Apprenticeships, Access to Higher Education and Foundation Degree courses, plus professional and bespoke training to local employers.
Coombe Dean School, opened in 1976, is an academy secondary school on the outskirts of Plymouth, Devon, England. As of 2025, it had 995 pupils. The school has a sixth form.
Crabtree is a suburb of Plymouth in the English county of Devon.
Derriford Hospital is a large teaching hospital in Plymouth, England. The hospital serves Plymouth and nearby areas of Devon and Cornwall. It also provides tertiary cardiothoracic surgery, neurosurgery, renal transplant surgery, and immunology/allergy for the whole of the South West Peninsula. It is managed by the University Hospitals Plymouth NHS Trust. It was designated a major trauma centre in 2013. A helipad capable of night operation was opened in 2015, to replace the existing daytime-only grass pad. The hospital is used for clinical training of medical students from the Plymouth University Peninsula School of Medicine. It is one of five hospitals with attached Ministry of Defence Hospital Units to cater to service personnel.
Devonport High School for Girls is a selective girls' state grammar school with academy status (ages 11–18) in Plymouth, England.
Devonport Park is a public park located in Devonport, Devon, England. The historic park which is now grade II listed, dates back to the 1850s and is situated on former military land. The park is home to many historic monuments including a war memorial to the 2,000 Devonport citizens who died in the First World War. There is a disused railway tunnel underneath the park that used to be the route of the Plymouth, Devonport and South Western Junction Railway.
Drake Circus Shopping Centre is a 425,000-square-foot (39,484 m2) covered shopping mall in the centre of Plymouth, England that opened in October 2006.
The Duke of Cornwall Hotel is a hotel in the city of Plymouth, Devon, England. It opened in 1865 to cater for the increasing number of travellers who were coming to the region by rail and sea.
Efford (anciently Eppeford, Elforde, etc.) is an historic manor formerly in the parish of Eggbuckland, Devon, England. Today it has been absorbed by the city of Plymouth to become a large, mostly post-World War II, eastern suburb of the city. It stands on high ground approximately 300 feet above the Laira estuary of the River Plym and provides views over long distances: to the north across Dartmoor, to the east and south-east across the South Hams. It consists predominantly of local authority and housing association properties. Before this land was built upon it was known as 'The Wilds of Efford', and was largely unspoilt countryside and marsh land. That a deer park may have been attached to the manor is suggested by the survival of the street name "Deer Park Drive".
Eggbuckland is a suburb of the city of Plymouth, in the ceremonial county of Devon, England. Before the Second World War Eggbuckland was a small village a few miles north of Plymouth. During the reconstruction of Plymouth many new suburbs were built and soon a new estate was built within one mile to the south east of Eggbuckland. During the 1970s the areas in between and surrounding the old village were all developed and the whole area is now referred to by the name Eggbuckland. The development of the A38 just south of Eggbuckland in the 1980s led to the area becoming very popular with commuters.
Eggbuckland Community College is a coeducational secondary school and sixth form with academy status, located in the Eggbuckland area of Plymouth, Devon, England. The school converted to academy status on 1 September 2013.
Ernesettle is mentioned in the Domesday Book, which documented land in England and Wales, and describes as an ‘old Saxon manor’ there. By the 15th century, there were two farms, Great Ernesettle and Little Ernesettle, both named after William Ernstell, a freeholder of Budshead, who owned land here in 1428. By the 16th century, Ernesettle was a thriving hamlet, and Budshead Mill and a manor house were built on the bank of the river Their date of construction is uncertain, but in 1780 the owner was recorded as Sir Harry Trelawney and the tenant was Mr Robert Nicholls.
Estover is a district in Devon, England, within the Plymouth boundary area. The original hamlet was extensively developed during the 1970s, into what became back then a large housing estate, consisting almost entirely of council houses (constructor: Wimpey Homes), situated five miles northeast of Plymouth city centre in the English county of Devon. The majority of the houses are now privately owned.
Ford Park Cemetery is a 34.5-acre (140,000 m2) cemetery in central Plymouth, England, established by the Plymouth, Stonehouse & Devonport Cemetery Company in 1846 and opened in 1848. At the time it was outside the boundary of the Three Towns and was created to alleviate the overcrowding in the churchyards of the local parish churches. Its official name at the time of inception was The Plymouth, Devonport and Stonehouse Cemetery (renamed in 2000), although it is now seldom referred to by that title.
Ham is a post-war suburb of Plymouth in the county of Devon, England. The population of the ward taken at the 2011 census was 13,294.
Hartley is a suburb of Plymouth in the county of Devon, England.
Hele's School, formerly Plympton Grammar School, is a co-educational secondary school and sixth form located in Plympton, Plymouth, England. It is a comprehensive school for pupils aged 11 to 18 and is part of the Westcountry Schools Trust (WeST). The school has around 1,350 students on roll, including around 210 in the sixth form. Hele's School has an eight-form entry system, with a published admission number of 240 per year group.
Honicknowle is an area and ward of the city of Plymouth in the English county of Devon. It borders with West Park, Crownhill, Ham, Whitleigh and Pennycross areas of Plymouth. It was previously part of Knackersknowle.
Hyde Park Junior School (HPJS), founded in 1904, is a coeducational junior school located on Hyde Park Road, close to Mutley Plain in Plymouth, Devon, England. Catering for around 360 boys and girls between the ages of 7 and 11, it is housed in the same building as its partner school, Hyde Park Infants. The school's catchment area extends across part of the suburbs of Plymouth including Mutley and Mannamead.
Keyham is a Victorian-built area of Plymouth in the English county of Devon. It was built to provide dense cheap housing just outside the wall of HM Dockyard Devonport for the thousands of civilian workmen.
King's Tamerton is a suburb of Plymouth in the county of Devon, England. It was largely built post-war adjacent to St Budeaux and overlooking the Naval base and the Hamoaze which is the wide estuary of the River Tamar.
Plymouth Parkway Football Club is a football club based in Plymouth, Devon, England. They are currently members of the Southern League Premier Division South and play at Bolitho Park.
Laira Bridge is a disused railway bridge that crosses the River Plym in the city of Plymouth, Devon, England. In 2015, it was refurbished to carry a pedestrian and cycle path.
Leigham is the name of an area of the city of Plymouth in the English county of Devon.
Lipson is a ward in the city of Plymouth, England. It is an area with mixed terraced housing, some subdivided into bedsits and flats and a public open-space called 'Freedom Fields', a Civil War battle site where the townsfolk of nearby Plymouth resisted substantial Cavalier raiding parties and enabled the town to sustain the royalist siege. Freedom Fields existed before the Civil War and acquired its name after the defeat there of a French invasion force two hundred years earlier. The park was the inspiration behind the title of local folk singer-songwriter Seth Lakeman's third album and currently has a small cafe, numerous benches and flower-beds.
Manadon is a predominantly post-war suburb of Plymouth in the English county of Devon.
Mannamead is a leafy suburb in the Compton ward of the city of Plymouth in the county of Devon, England. It was an affluent Victorian and early Edwardian suburb with wide avenues such as Seymour Road, grand villas and Thorn Park. There are conservation areas but the area has been infilled and become more densely populated. There are very many care homes. The nearest secondary school is Plymouth College but the area has exceptionally frequent bus services passing many other schools.
Milehouse is a late Victorian and 1930s suburb of Plymouth. It is now notable for a substantial traffic junction, the vast depot base of the local city bus company, a Wetherspoons pub and an undertaker. Formerly it was famous for the site of Outland House, the large family home of Robert Falcon Scott, who led the tragic British expedition to the South Pole and died on the return journey.
Morice Town is a suburb of Plymouth in the English county of Devon.
Mount Batten is a 24-metre (79 ft)-tall outcrop of rock on a 600-metre (2,000 ft) peninsula in Plymouth Sound, Devon, England, named after Sir William Batten (c.1600–1667), MP and Surveyor of the Navy. It was previously called How Stert.
North Prospect is an area in Plymouth.
Notre Dame RC School is a Roman Catholic school for girls in Derriford, Plymouth, England. Its sister school is St Boniface's Catholic College.
Oreston ( uh-RES-tun), formerly a village on the southern bank of the Cattewater, is now a suburb of Plymouth. It is recorded as Horestone on the 1591 Spry Map of Plimmouth. Oreston offers many small, local services. It is home to a small cornershop style shop called "The Quay News," a pub called "The King's Arms," a small dock and free public slipway in "Oreston Quay," and is home to approximately 3,000 residents.
Several of the forts surrounding Plymouth were built as a result of a decision in Lord Palmerston's premiership to deter the French from attacking naval bases in the south of the country. The Royal Commission on the Defence of the United Kingdom reported in 1860 and resulted in a huge building programme. Examples of the forts are:
Pennycomequick is the site of a former Devonport prison that today forms part of the inner suburbs of the city of Plymouth, Devon, England.
Peverell (anciently Weston Peverell) is a neighbourhood of Plymouth in the ceremonial county of Devon. The 2001 Census estimated the population as 6,455, increasing dramatically to 13,553 at the 2011 census.
The Plym Valley Railway is a 1-mile-14-chain (1.9 km) heritage railway based on part of the now-closed South Devon and Tavistock Railway, a branch line of the Great Western Railway in Devon, England. The line originally opened in 1859 and closed in 1962. Heritage trains first ran in 2001.
The Box is a museum, gallery and archive in Plymouth, Devon, England, opened in 2020 housing a collection of about 2 million items. The core of the building was previously Plymouth City Museum and Art Gallery which closed in 2016. The building was created in 1907–1910 by Thornely and Rooke in Edwardian Baroque style. and was combined with the former Central Library building and St Luke's Church on Tavistock Place into The Box.
Woodland (or Woodlands) Fort is a Royal Commission Fort built in the 1860s as part of Lord Palmerston's ring of land defences for Plymouth, England. Currently owned by Plymouth City Council, the site is in use but largely derelict.
Lipson Co-operative Academy (formerly Lipson Community College) is a coeducational secondary school and sixth form with academy status, located in the Lipson area of Plymouth in the English county of Devon.
Marine Academy Plymouth (formerly Tamarside Community College) is a mixed all-through school located in the King's Tamerton area of Plymouth in the English county of Devon. The school includes a nursery, primary, secondary and sixth form section.
The Roland Levinsky Building is the University of Plymouth's flagship arts, cultural and teaching facility, completed in 2007. It is located at the south of the university campus opposite the Drake Circus Shopping Centre.
St Augustine's Church was a Church of England church in Lipson, Plymouth, Devon, England. Built to the designs of King & Lister of Plymouth, the church's crypt was built between 1899 and 1900, and initially served as a mission church until the main building was completed. Construction of the church was carried out between 1901 and 1904, but the west end was not completed until 1933. During World War II, the church suffered major damage in an aid raid and was rebuilt between 1950 and 1954. After closing as a place of worship in 1993, it was demolished in 2001 and replaced by the student accommodation block, St Augustine's House.
Sir John Hunt Community Sports College is a mixed secondary school and sixth form located in the Whitleigh area of Plymouth in the English county of Devon. The school is named after Sir John Hunt (later Baron Hunt), an army officer who is best known as the leader of the successful 1953 British Expedition to Mount Everest.
Tor Bridge High (formerly Estover Community College) is a mixed secondary school and sixth form located in the Estover area of Plymouth in the English county of Devon.
Prysten House is a Grade I listed 15th century merchant's house situated close to St Andrew's Church in the city of Plymouth, England. It is a large U-shaped three storey split level house built c. 1498 and extended 1635.
Plympton House is the principal residence at the Plympton House Estate, in the parish of Plympton St Maurice, Devon, England. It is a Grade I listed country house, in the William and Mary tradition, near St Maurice's Church in Plympton, commenced by Sir George Treby (1643–1700) and completed c. 1715 – 1720 by his son George Treby (c. 1684 – 1742). The architect is unknown although accounts in 1720 refer to William Veale, mason. Its kitchen garden wall, southern boundary walls and gate piers and walls are Grade II listed.
Devonport Column is a monument designed by John Foulston in Devonport, Plymouth, England. It is situated next to Devonport Guildhall, also designed by Foulston.
Devonport Guildhall is a municipal building that served as a municipal hall, courthouse, mortuary, and police station, located in the municipal centre of the town of Devonport, in Plymouth, Devon, England. The site fell into disrepair and since the mid-1980s has been repurposed for community facilities. It is a Grade I listed building.
Church of St Maurice (also known as the Church of St Thomas at Plympton St Maurice) is located in Plympton, Devon, England. Dating to the 15th century, it is now a Grade II* listed building. The church is of Church of England denomination.
Tudor Lodge is a Grade II* listed building in Plympton, Devon, England. Standing at 63 Fore Street, Plympton's main street, it dates to the late 17th century.
Mutley Baptist Church is an evangelical Baptist church and congregation in Mutley Plain, Plymouth, Devon, situated in a large Grade II building, designed by architect J. Ambrose in 1867.
St Gabriel's Church is a Church of England church in Peverell, Plymouth, Devon, England. Built to the designs of the London architect W. D. Caröe, the church was built between 1909 and 1910, with extensions in 1924 and 1955. The church has been a Grade II listed building since 1975.
St Jude's Church is a Church of England church in Plymouth, Devon, England. It was designed by the Plymouth architect James Hine and constructed in 1875–76, with the work being carried out by Messrs Blatchford and Son of Tavistock for £3,600.
Plymouth Pannier Market, also called Plymouth City Market, is a pannier market in Plymouth, Devon. The building was designed by local architects Walls & Pearn and built in 1959 and 1960. The market was granted Grade II listed status in 2003, and is seen as one of Plymouth's most innovative and important post-war buildings. It gets over a million visitors per year, making it one of the most visited markets in the country.
Beckley Point is a private student accommodation building in Plymouth, Devon, England. It is owned and operated by Yugo, previously known as the Student Housing Company.
The Babbage Building is a teaching building at the University of Plymouth for the university's School of Engineering, Computing and Mathematics and the School of Art, Design and Architecture.
Pryzm Plymouth was a chain nightclub located in Barbican Leisure Park in Plymouth, England.