Berkeley ( BARK-lee) is a market town and parish in the Stroud District in Gloucestershire, England. It lies in the Vale of Berkeley between the east bank of the River Severn and the M5 motorway. The town is noted for Berkeley Castle, where the imprisoned King Edward II is believed to have been murdered, as well as the birthplace of the physician Edward Jenner, pioneer of the smallpox vaccine, the world's first vaccine.
Hardwicke is a village on the A38 road 7 km south of the city of Gloucester, Gloucestershire, England. Despite its proximity to Gloucester, the village comes under Stroud Council. The population of the village taken at the United Kingdom Census 2011 was 3,901.
Harescombe is a small village in Gloucestershire, England. It is situated 5 miles (8 km) south of Gloucester. It is thought the name of the village is derived from a combination of the Celtic term "cwm" (valley) and the Saxon term "here" (army), thus the full meaning of "Harescombe" would be "the Army's Valley".
Hillesley and Tresham is a civil parish in the Stroud District of Gloucestershire, England. It had a population of 591 according to the 2001 census, decreasing to 391 at the 2011 census. The parish contains the villages of Hillesley and Tresham. The Lyvett (Levett) family, an Anglo-Norman family prominent in Sussex, were lords of the manor of Hillesley in 12th and 13th centuries. The family also held Boxwell, Chipping Sodbury and other places in Gloucestershire.
Horsley is a village and civil parish about one and a half miles south-west of the small Cotswold market town of Nailsworth. The origins of the name Horsley are much debated, although it is thought to be derived from the pre-7th-century Old English phrase, "horse-lega", meaning "place of horses".
Haresfield Beacon (grid reference SO819088) is a 0.73-hectare (1.8-acre) geological Site of Special Scientific Interest in Gloucestershire, notified in 1985. The site is listed in the ‘Stroud District’ Local Plan, adopted November 2005, Appendix 6 (online for download) as an SSSI and a Regionally Important Geological Site (RIGS).
Whiteway Colony is a residential community in the Cotswolds in the parish of Miserden near Stroud, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom. The community was founded in 1898 by Tolstoyans and today has no spare land available with over sixty homes and 120 colonists. At the beginning, private property was rejected and personal property shared; however, today the colonists' homes are privately owned and sold at market value. As the colony abandoned Tolstoy's philosophy it has been regarded by many, including Mohandas Gandhi who visited in 1909, as a failed Tolstoyan experiment.
King's Stanley is a village in Gloucestershire, England, situated southwest of the town of Stroud. The village is part of what is known locally as 'The Stanleys', along with its neighbours Leonard Stanley and Stanley Downton. Marling Close, which contains the local playing fields on which the cricket and football teams play, was donated to the village by local magnates The Marlings who also helped found Marling School, and is now in the care of the Marling Trust. The village is overlooked by Selsley common. The village is home to the oldest Baptist Church in Gloucestershire that started meeting in 1640. In the Domesday Book of 1086 it is recorded as held by Turstin FitzRolf.
Leonard Stanley, or Stanley St.Leonard, is a village and parish in Gloucestershire, England, 95 miles (150 km) west of London and 3.5 miles (5.5 km) southwest of the town of Stroud. Situated beneath the Cotswold escarpment overlooking the Severn Vale, the surrounding land is mainly given over to agricultural use. The village is made up of some 600 houses and has an estimated population of 1,545 as of 2019. The hamlet of Stanley Downton lies less than a mile to the north and lies within the parish. In 1970, the village was twinned with the commune of Dozulé in the Calvados region of Normandy, northern France.
Marling School is a grammar school with academy status for boys, with a co-educational Sixth Form located in Stroud, Gloucestershire, England. It is on the Cainscross Road, the main route out of Stroud towards the M5, and is situated next to the girls' grammar school, Stroud High School, with which it shares some facilities.
Miserden is a village and civil parish in Stroud District, Gloucestershire, England, 4 miles north east of Stroud. The parish includes Whiteway Colony and the hamlets of Sudgrove and The Camp. In the 2001 census the parish had a population of 420, increasing to 449 at the 2011 census.
Nether Lypiatt Manor is a compact, neo-Classical manor house in the mainly rural parish of Thrupp, near Stroud in Gloucestershire. It was formerly the country home of Prince and Princess Michael of Kent and is a Grade I listed building.
Nympsfield is a village and civil parish in the English county of Gloucestershire. It is located around four miles south-west of the town of Stroud. As well as Nympsfield village, the parish contains the hamlet of Cockadilly. The population taken at the 2011 census was 382.
Purton is a village on the east bank of the River Severn, 3 miles north of Berkeley, in Gloucestershire, England. The village is in the civil parish of Hinton. It lies opposite the hamlet of Purton on the west bank of the river.
Randwick, Gloucestershire is a village bordering the market town of Stroud in Gloucestershire, England, the United Kingdom. It is known locally for its folk traditions such as the Randwick Wap, a celebration of May Day, and its annual pantomime.
Rednock School is a comprehensive school located in Dursley, Gloucestershire, England. It is a specialist Science College which also contains a sixth form.
Rodborough is a civil parish in the district of Stroud, Gloucestershire, in South West England. It is directly south of the parish of Stroud, north of the town of Nailsworth and north-west of the village of Minchinhampton. The parish includes the settlements of Bagpath (not to be confused with Bagpath in the Ozleworth valley), Butterrow, Kingscourt, Lightpill and Rooksmoor, and is adjacent to the Stroud suburb of Dudbridge. The population taken at the 2011 census was 5,334.
All Saints Church is the parish church for Selsley in Gloucestershire.
Selsley is a village within the civil parish of King's Stanley and district of Stroud, in Gloucestershire, England. It is composed of around 175 houses, scattered around the western and eastern edge of a Cotswold spur, located approximately 2 miles (3.2 km) south of Stroud.
Sheepscombe is a small village in the English county of Gloucestershire. Sheepscombe is located some 6.5 miles (10 km) south-east of the city of Gloucester, 6 miles (10 km) north-east of the town of Stroud, and 1.5 miles (2 km) east of the village of Painswick. It lies in a narrow valley, hidden behind the Cotswold scarp, and just off the A46 and B4070 roads.
Bussage is a village in Gloucestershire, England in the district of Stroud. The Village was made famous in the 1970s after a sighting of the actor Paul Newman, who was rumoured to be looking for a home in the area.
Shortwood United Football Club is a football club based in Nailsworth, Gloucestershire, England. The club are currently members of the Hellenic League Division One and play at the Meadowbank Ground.
Slimbridge Association Football Club are an English football club representing the village of Slimbridge, near Dursley, Gloucestershire (although their ground is in nearby Cambridge). The first team currently play in the Southern League, the reserve team play in the Hellenic League Division Two West, and the Under 18 Youth team play in the Cheltenham Under18 Floodlit Youth League. The club is affiliated to the Gloucestershire County FA.
Painswick Town Hall is a municipal building in Victoria Square, Painswick, Gloucestershire, England. The building, which is used as an events venue and also as the offices of Painswick Parish Council, is a Grade II listed building.
One of the oldest churches in its area, St Mary's was consecrated on 19 August 1283 by Bishop of Worcester, Godfrey Giffard. It is believed that most of the church as it is today was completed in 1325, some 171 years after its first recorded vicar, Gerinus, in 1154. It is one of four churches in the town of Wotton-under-Edge in Gloucestershire.
St Swithun's Church is a historic Anglican church in the village of Brookthorpe, Gloucestershire, England under the care of The Churches Conservation Trust. It is recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade II* listed building.
Standish is a small village and civil parish in the Stroud local government district in Gloucestershire, England.
Stinchcombe is a small village and civil parish in Gloucestershire, England on the B4060 road between Dursley and North Nibley. The church is called St Cyr's and its churchyard contains 40–60 gravestones. The population taken at the 2011 census was 480.
Stone is a small village in the parish of Ham and Stone, Gloucestershire, England. It stands on the A38 road, just south-west of its crossing of the Little Avon River, roughly halfway between Bristol and Gloucester at grid reference ST684953. It is adjacent to the county boundary with South Gloucestershire. The part of the community just north-east of the river is called Woodford. In 2019 it had an estimated population of 527.
The Stonehouse Court is a Grade II* listed manor house in Stonehouse, Gloucestershire, England which is now a hotel. It is located next to St Cyr's Church and the Stroudwater Canal.
Stratford Park is a green flag awarded area of Stroud in Gloucestershire, south west England. With a large park and lake, and a leisure centre complex, Stratford Park is a major tourist area for Stroud. It is located on the outskirts of Stroud town centre near Paganhill and Whiteshill. It is also the site of the first wholly successful British campaign to save trees from road-widening.
Stroud High School (SHS) is a grammar school with academy status for girls aged 11 to 18 located in Stroud, Gloucestershire, England
Woodchester Park (grid reference SO820014) is a 214.9-hectare (531-acre) biological Site of Special Scientific Interest in Gloucestershire, notified in 1966.
Leonard Stanley Priory was a priory in Gloucestershire, England. Over the years following the dissolution most of the buildings of the priory complex have been destroyed.
Prinknash Abbey (pronounced locally variously as "Prinidge/Prinnish") (IPA: ) is a Roman Catholic monastery in the Vale of Gloucester in the Diocese of Clifton, near the village of Cranham. It belongs to the English Province of the Subiaco Cassinese Congregation, which is itself part of the worldwide Benedictine Confederation. It is noted for its manufacturing of incense, and is the largest manufacturer of incense in Europe. 
Range Farm Fields (grid reference SO850130) is a 12.8-hectare (32-acre) biological Site of Special Scientific Interest in Gloucestershire, near to Gloucester City, notified in 1996.
Kingswood Abbey was a Cistercian abbey, located in the village of Kingswood near Wotton-under-Edge, Gloucestershire, England. The abbey was demolished during the Dissolution of the Monasteries, and all that remains is the gatehouse, a Grade 1 listed building. Through the gatehouse arch are a few houses and the small village primary school of Kingswood.
Rough Bank, Miserden (grid reference SO907087) is a 9.2-hectare (23-acre) biological Site of Special Scientific Interest in Gloucestershire, notified in 1986. It was purchased by the wildlife charity Butterfly Conservation in 2012.
SGS Berkeley Green UTC is a university technical college in Berkeley, Gloucestershire, England. It opened in September 2017, and is part of SGS Academy Trust (South Gloucestershire and Stroud Academy Trust). It specialises in engineering, cybersecurity and digital technologies, as well as STEM more broadly.
Kingswood is a village and civil parish within the Stroud district of Gloucestershire, England. It is southwest of Wotton-under-Edge and has a population of 1,290, increasing to 1,395 at the 2011 Census.
Ebley is a community in Gloucestershire, England. It was once a village, and is now part of the Stroud urban area. It lies in the valley of the River Frome, 2 miles west of the town centre of Stroud. It is part of the civil parish of Cainscross.
Cainscross is a suburban town and civil parish in Gloucestershire, England, on the western outskirts of Stroud and forming part of the Stroud urban area. The parish includes the communities of Ebley, Cashes Green and Hamwell Leaze, and part of Dudbridge.
Vale Community Hospital is a community hospital in Lister Road, Dursley, Gloucestershire, England. It is managed by Gloucestershire Health and Care NHS Foundation Trust.
Owlpen is a small village and civil parish in the Stroud district of Gloucestershire, England, set in a valley in the Cotswold hills. It is about one mile (1.6 km) east of Uley, and three miles (4.8 km) east of Dursley. The Owlpen valley is set around the settlement like an amphitheatre of wooded hills open to the west. The landscape falls within the Cotswold Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, so designated in 1966. The population of the parish in mid-2010 was 29 (est.), the smallest in Gloucestershire.
Woodchester Mansion is an unfinished, Gothic revival mansion house in Nympsfield, Gloucestershire, England. It is on the site of an earlier house known as Spring Park. The mansion is a Grade I listed building.
Woodchester is a Gloucestershire village in the Nailsworth (or Woodchester) Valley, a valley in the South Cotswolds in England, running southwards from Stroud along the A46 road to Nailsworth. The parish population taken at the 2011 census was 1,206.
Wotton Hill (grid reference ST753942) is a hill on the edge of the Cotswold Hills in Gloucestershire, England, 0.5 miles (0.80 km) north of Wotton-under-Edge. The Cotswold Way passes over the hill.
Wycliffe College is a public school (co-educational, independent, day and boarding) in Stonehouse, Gloucestershire, England, founded in 1882 by G. W. Sibly. It comprises a Nursery School for ages 2–4, a Preparatory School for ages 4–13, and a Senior School for ages 13–18. In total, there are approximately 800 pupils enrolled at the school. The college is set in 60 acres of land. In 2018, The Duchess of Gloucester officially opened a new £6 million boarding house named Ward's-Ivy Grove. The college attracts students from many areas of the world.
Fretherne is a small village in Gloucestershire, England, situated between the larger villages of Frampton-on-Severn and Arlingham. It forms the civil parish of Fretherne with Saul with the village of Saul. In the Domesday Book of 1086 it is recorded as held by Turstin FitzRolf. The village name probably originates from O.E. 'Frithorne,' meaning 'Freo's thorn.'
Hillesley is a village in Gloucestershire, England. It was transferred from the county of Avon in 1991 and is now in Stroud District. The village forms part of the civil parish of Hillesley and Tresham. It is close to the Cotswold Edge, near the Cotswold Way and about 2+1⁄2 miles (4.0 km) south of the town of Wotton under Edge (grid reference ST769896).
Hinton is a village and civil parish near Berkeley in Stroud district, Gloucestershire. The parish includes the larger villages of Sharpness and Purton. The ecclesiastical parish is Sharpness with Purton, formerly part of the parish of Berkeley and now united with Slimbridge.
The Ancient Ram Inn is a Grade II* listed building and a former pub located in Wotton-under-Edge, a market town within the Stroud district of Gloucestershire, England. The inn has been owned by many people since 1145 and was in the private ownership of John Humphries until his death in December 2017. This inn was said to have also been owned by the local St. Mary's Church when first built. The pub is reputed to be haunted.
Hunts Grove is a new build suburb, situated near the villages of Hardwicke and Haresfield, on the southern edge of the city of Gloucester. Building began in 2010 and the estate is as yet unfinished. The development was named Hunts Grove after the small woodland, Hunts Grove, on the site.
Katharine Lady Berkeley's School is an academy school near Wotton-under-Edge, Gloucestershire, England, for ages 11 to 18.
The Longstone of Minchinhampton (grid reference ST884998) is a standing stone on Minchinhampton Common, Minchinhampton in Gloucestershire, England. The stone is clearly visible in a field accessible via the southeast road out of the village. The stone is 7.5 feet (2.3 m) high, made of limestone and has natural holes in it. Tradition suggests that passing infants through one of the holes will cure them of illnesses such as measles or whooping cough.
Edge is a village in the civil parish of Painswick, Gloucestershire, England. The village is situated in an area of the Cotswolds that falls within the Stroud District.
Haresfield is a village near Gloucester, Gloucestershire, England around one mile from Junction 12 of the M5 motorway and between the villages of Brookthorpe, Harescombe and Hardwicke. The population of the village taken at the 2011 census was 378.
Workmans Wood (grid reference SO900109) is a wood just to the east of the village of Sheepscombe, in the Cotswolds, Gloucestershire. It is a biological Site of Special Scientific Interest being part of the Cotswold Commons And Beechwoods SSSI. The Wood is part of a designated national nature reserve (NNR).
The Tyndale Monument is a tower built on a hill at North Nibley, Gloucestershire, England. It was built in honour of William Tyndale, an early translator of the New Testament into English, who was born nearby. It is a Grade II* listed building.
Maidenhill School is a coeducational foundation secondary school located in Stonehouse in the English county of Gloucestershire.
Thomas Keble School is a mixed secondary school located in Eastcombe in the English county of Gloucestershire. The school is named after Thomas Keble, a Church of England clergyman who contributed four of the Tracts for the Times. Outside of the main building, there is a memorial tree with a plaque dedicated to the life of Thomas Keble. The plaque reads: "In memory of those who came before us, we honour you." The tree was planted by Julia Abbott on 18 August 1991, the plaque being added later that year.
The New Lawn, also known as The Fully Charged New Lawn for sponsorship reasons, is a football stadium in Nailsworth, Gloucestershire. It has been the home stadium of League One club Forest Green Rovers since 2006. During the 2007–08 season the stadium was shared with Gloucester City. The stadium has a capacity of 5,147, of which 2,000 is seated. It replaced The Lawn Ground as Forest Green Rovers' home stadium and is expected to be replaced by a new stadium development located near the M5 motorway. In 2020 the ground was renamed The innocent New Lawn Stadium due to a sponsorship deal with Innocent Drinks. In 2021, the stadium was renamed after the YouTube channel Fully Charged.
Frocester ( FROS-tər) is a village and civil parish in Stroud District, Gloucestershire, England. It lies below the Cotswold escarpment, 10 miles south of Gloucester and 4 miles west of Stroud. In the 2001 census the parish had a population of 194, decreasing to 155 at the 2011 Census.
Stonehouse is a town in the Stroud District of Gloucestershire in southwestern England.
Dursley is a market town and civil parish in southern Gloucestershire, England, situated almost equidistantly between the cities of Bristol and Gloucester. It is under the northeast flank of Stinchcombe Hill, and about 3+3⁄4 miles (6.0 km) southeast of the River Severn. The town is adjacent to Cam which, though a village, is a slightly larger community in its own right.
Chalford is a large village in the Frome Valley of the Cotswolds in Gloucestershire, England. It is to the southeast of Stroud about four miles (six kilometres) upstream. It gives its name to Chalford parish, which covers the villages of Chalford, Chalford Hill, France Lynch, Bussage and Brownshill, spread over two square miles (five square kilometres) of the Cotswold countryside. At this point the valley is also called the Golden Valley.
Upton St Leonards is a village in the English county of Gloucestershire. Forming part of the district of Stroud, it is a mile or so north of the A46 road between Stroud and Cheltenham.
Eastington is a village and civil parish in the English county of Gloucestershire. It lies 4 miles west of Stroud and 9 miles south of Gloucester at the entrance to the Stroud Valley. It is situated west of the town of Stonehouse and is convenient for Junction 13 of the M5 motorway and the A38 and A419 roads. Since the M5 and its access roads were opened, the main road no longer runs through the village.
Stroud District is a district in the ceremonial county of Gloucestershire, South West England. The district covers many outlying towns and villages. The towns forming the district are Dursley, Minchinhampton, Nailsworth, Painswick, Stonehouse, Stroud (The administrative centre) and Wotton-under-Edge. The district is geographically located between the Tewkesbury district to the northwest and northeast, Gloucester district to the north, the Cotswold district to the north-northeast. east and southeast, The Forest of Dean district to the north-northwest, west, and southwest and the South Gloucestershire unitary authority to the southeast, south, and south-southwest.
Minchinhampton is an ancient Cotswolds market town in the Stroud District in Gloucestershire, South West England. The town is located on a hilltop, 4 miles (6.4 km) south-east of Stroud. The common offers wide views over the Severn Estuary into Wales and further into the Cotswolds.
Nailsworth is a town and civil parish in Gloucestershire, England, lying in one of the Stroud Valleys in the Cotswolds, on the A46 road (the Roman Fosse Way), 3.5 miles (5.6 km) south of Stroud and about 25 miles (40 km) north-east of Bristol and Bath. The parish had a population of 5,794 at the 2011 census.
Painswick House is a grade I listed house in Painswick, Gloucestershire, England. It is surrounded by a Grade II* listed rococo garden.
Frampton Court is a Grade I listed country house and estate of about 1,500 acres (610 ha) in Frampton-on-Severn, Gloucestershire, England. It has been owned by the Clifford family since the 11th century. The main buildings are the 18th century Frampton Court and, on the opposite side of the village green, Manor Farm. The gardens at Frampton Court have a Gothic orangery and ornamental canal in the style of William Halfpenny. The two houses, barn and orangery are all Grade I listed buildings in their own right, while the Gatepiers and Gates are Grade II* listed.
The Church of St Mary the Virgin is an Anglican church in Berkeley, Gloucestershire, England, and in the Diocese of Gloucester. The building is Grade I listed; it has a separate tower, also Grade I listed.
Saint Nicholas Church is a grade I listed building located in Hardwicke, Gloucestershire. It practices Christianity through the Church of England denomination.
The Church of All Saints is a Church of England parish church in the Uplands area of Stroud, Gloucestershire. The church is a Grade I listed building. It was designed by Temple Moore in the Gothic Revival style and was completed by Leslie Moore after Temple's death.
Painswick is a town and civil parish in the Stroud District in Gloucestershire, England. Originally the town grew from the wool trade, but it is now best known for its parish church's yew trees and the local Rococo Garden. The village is mainly constructed of locally quarried Cotswold stone. Many of the buildings feature south-facing attic rooms once used as weavers' workshops.
Stonehouse railway station is a railway station that serves the town of Stonehouse in Gloucestershire, England. The station is located on the Swindon-Gloucester "Golden Valley" line.
Sharpness ( sharp-NESS) is an English port in Gloucestershire, one of the most inland in Britain, and eighth largest in the South West. It is on the River Severn at grid reference SO669027, at a point where the tidal range, though less than at Avonmouth downstream (14 metres (46 ft) typical spring tide), is still large (10 metres (33 ft) typical spring).
Berkeley nuclear power station is a decommissioned Magnox nuclear power station situated on the bank of the River Severn in Gloucestershire, England. The ongoing decommissioning process is being managed by Nuclear Decommissioning Authority subsidiary Magnox Ltd.
Uley is a village and civil parish in the county of Gloucestershire, England. The parish includes the hamlets of Elcombe and Shadwell and Bencombe, all to the south of the village of Uley, and the hamlet of Crawley to the north. The village is situated in a wooded valley in the Cotswold escarpment, on the B4066 road between Dursley and Stroud.
Cranham is a village in the English county of Gloucestershire. Forming part of the district of Stroud it is to be found a mile or so east of the A46 road between Stroud and Cheltenham. The Cotswold Way long-distance footpath also runs nearby.
North Nibley is a village in Gloucestershire, England about 1.9 miles (3 km) northwest of Wotton-under-Edge.
Alderley House is a mid-19th century 23,843 square feet (2,215.1 m2) Grade II listed country house designed by Lewis Vulliamy and built for Robert Blagden Hale in the Cotswold village of Alderley, near Wotton-under-Edge in Gloucestershire, England. It was built on the site of The Lower House, Sir Matthew Hale's original 17th-century manor house, and is situated immediately to the southwest of St Kenelm's Church. In 2009 it was sold to an American oil tycoon, who restored the house as a private residence after 70 years serving as the private preparatory school Rose Hill School, Alderley.
Alkington is a civil parish in the district of Stroud, Gloucestershire. It had a population of 638 in the 2001 census, increasing to 688 at the 2011 census. There is no Alkington village, the parish consists of various hamlets, including Woodford, Newport and Lower Wick.
Amberley, Gloucestershire is a small village about two miles south of Stroud in Gloucestershire, England. It is situated on the edge of Minchinhampton Common, known for its Golf Club and course.
Archway School is a comprehensive co-educational school for pupils aged 11 to 18 in Stroud, Gloucestershire, England. The headteacher is Kieron Smith.
Arlingham is a village and civil parish in the Stroud District of Gloucestershire, England. The 2001 Census recorded a parish population of 410, increasing to 459 at the 2011 census (226 males, 233 females with 176 Households). The parish contains the hamlets of Milton End, Overton and Priding. The next parish to the east is Fretherne with Saul.
Berkeley Castle ( BARK-lee; historically sometimes spelled as Berkley Castle or Barkley Castle) is a castle in the town of Berkeley, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom. The castle's origins date back to the 11th century, and it has been designated by English Heritage as a grade I listed building.
Bisley-with-Lypiatt is a civil parish in the Stroud district of Gloucestershire, England. It had a population of 2350 in 2019. It includes Bisley, Lypiatt, Eastcombe and Oakridge.
Nibley House, North Nibley in Gloucestershire is a Grade II* listed house on the English Heritage Register. The Neoclassical Georgian facade dates from 1763 behind which lies the Jacobean manor house built in 1609 by John Smythe the Elder, Steward at the time to Lord Berkeley. Today it is still a private residence which provides bed and breakfast and camping accommodation and is also a wedding venue.
St Margaret's Church is a 13th-century Church of England church in the village of Whaddon, Gloucestershire, England. It has been a grade II* listed building since 10 January 1955. The church tower is a dominant feature within the surrounding flat area.
Coaley is a village in the English county of Gloucestershire roughly 4 miles from the town of Dursley, and 5 miles from the town of Stroud. The village drops from the edge of the Cotswold Hills, overlooked by Frocester Hill and Coaley Peak picnic site, towards the River Cam at Cam and Cambridge and the Severn Estuary beyond. It has a population of around 770.
Hawkwood Centre for Future Thinking is a registered charity and independent centre for education in a 19th-century Grade II listed building, on 42 acres of grounds, including gardens, pastures, woodland and a natural spring overlooking the Stroud Valley in Gloucestershire, England.
Wynstones School was a Steiner Waldorf school in Gloucestershire, set on 11 acres near Gloucester. It took pupils from pre-school through to university entrance and has an enrolment of around 275 students.
Moreton Valence is a village 6 miles (9.7 km) south-west of Gloucester, Gloucestershire, England, on the A38. It lies on the river Severn and the Gloucester and Sharpness Canal. The Parkend Canal bridge is in the middle of Moreton Valence, with the Parkend Bridge House which is a Grade II listed building. The estimated population of the civil parish in 2016 was 165.
Pitchcombe is a village and civil parish 6 miles (9.7 km) south of Gloucester, in the Stroud district, in the county of Gloucestershire, England. In 2011 the parish had a population of 232. The parish touches Harescombe, Painswick and Whiteshill and Ruscombe.
Ham and Stone is a civil parish in the Stroud district, in the county of Gloucestershire, England. It includes the settlements of Bevington, Ham, Hystfield and Stone. As of 2019, it has a population of 776.
Longney is a village on the river Severn 5 miles south-west of Gloucester, Gloucestershire, England, within the parish of Longney and Epney. The parish is long and narrow and the main trades are agricultural with several farms throughout it. Longney is the Saxon name meaning a long island. The population of the Longney and Epney parish is 285 (2011).
Epney is a small village on the River Severn. It is 8 miles (13 km) South-west of Gloucester, Gloucestershire, England within the parish of Longney and Epney. It is between Longney and Upper Framilode. The village has a pub called The Anchor Inn. The population of the Longney and Epney parish is 285 (2011).
Bowbridge Crossing Halt was opened on 1 May 1905 on what is now the Golden Valley Line between Kemble and Stroud. This line was opened in 1845 as the Cheltenham and Great Western Union Railway from Swindon to Gloucester and this was one of many small stations and halts built on this line for the local passenger service. This halt opened with the introduction of the GWR steam railmotor services between Stonehouse and Chalford.
Box is a small village in Gloucestershire, England. It is in the civil parish of Minchinhampton, and is located 3 miles (4.8 km) south of Stroud and 10 miles (16 km) west of Cirencester. Minchinhampton is about 1 mile (1.6 km) away and Nailsworth is about 1.5 miles (2.4 km) away. Box has a population of about 400.
Brookthorpe-with-Whaddon is a civil parish in the Stroud district of Gloucestershire, England. According to the 2001 census it had a population of 308, increasing to 322 at the 2011 census. In 2019 the population was estimated at 395. It consists of the small villages of Brookthorpe and Whaddon, both to the south of Gloucester.
Bull Cross, The Frith and Juniper Hill (grid reference SO872083) is a 42.33-hectare (104.6-acre) biological and geological Site of Special Scientific Interest in Gloucestershire, notified in 1954. The site is listed in the ‘Stroud District’ Local Plan, adopted November 2005, Appendix 6 (online for download) as an SSSI and Regionally Important Geological Site (RIGS).
Cam is a large village and civil parish in Gloucestershire, England, situated on the edge of the Cotswolds and contiguous to the town of Dursley, north of Bristol and south of Gloucester. The Cotswold Way runs less than a mile from the village.
The Cotswold Canals Trust is a British registered charity that aims to protect and restore the Stroudwater Navigation and the Thames and Severn Canal. Formed in 1972, the organisation has a goal to restore navigability on the two waterways between Saul Junction to the River Thames. Since then, it has overseen restoration of the waterways, with many bridges, locks, and cuttings being rebuilt and reinstated.
Cotswold Commons and Beechwoods (grid reference SO900130) is a 665.5-hectare (1,644-acre) biological Site of Special Scientific Interest in Gloucestershire, notified in 1954.
Edge Common (grid reference SO847092) is a 20.47-hectare (50.6-acre) biological Site of Special Scientific Interest in Gloucestershire, notified in 1974.
Dr. Jenner's House, formerly known as the Edward Jenner Museum, in Berkeley, England, is housed in a grade II* listed early 18th century building called the Chantry, famous as the home of Edward Jenner FRS, physician, surgeon and pioneer of smallpox vaccination, and now used as a museum.
Elmore Court is a grade II* listed mansion, located at Elmore in the Stroud district of Gloucestershire, England. The original building dates from between 1564 and 1588.
Framilode is a village on the banks of the River Severn in Gloucestershire, England, in the parish of Fretherne with Saul. It consists of two settlements: the larger, Framilode, is at the mouth of the River Frome. The smaller settlement, Framilode Passage, lies about 0.5 mile downstream.
Frampton on Severn is a village in Gloucestershire, England. There is a parish council, consisting of nine members. The total population is 1,432.
Fretherne with Saul is a civil parish in the Stroud district of Gloucestershire, England. It includes the villages of Framilode, Fretherne, Saul and Upper Framilode.
Gloucester Services are a pair of Motorway Service Areas (MSA) serving the northbound and southbound carriageways of the M5 between Junction 11A and Junction 12, near Whaddon, Gloucester. It specialises in selling artisanal food, and does not offer outlets for popular chain food brands.
Hamfallow is a civil parish in the district of Stroud, Gloucestershire. There is no village centre, the parish consists of farms and hamlets such as Abwell, Breadstone, Halmore, Mobley and Wanswell.
Stroud railway station (unofficially known as Stroud Wallbridge) served the town of Stroud, in Gloucestershire, England. The station was on a short 1.25 mi-long branch from Dudbridge on the Stonehouse and Nailsworth Railway, part of the Midland Railway. It was not connected to the earlier and still used Stroud railway station on the Great Western Railway.
Brimscombe and Thrupp (grid reference SO862032) is a civil parish made up of the villages of Thrupp and Brimscombe, in the narrow Frome Valley slightly south-east of Stroud, Gloucestershire, England. The parish also includes the hamlets of Quarhouse and The Heavens. The population taken at the 2011 census was 1,830.
Tresham is a village in Gloucestershire, England. It was transferred back from the county of Avon in 1991, having been in Gloucestershire before 1972. It is now in Stroud District, and forms part of the civil parish of Hillesley and Tresham. It is on the Monarch's Way and near the Cotswold Way (grid reference ST792912).
Uley Bury is the long, flat-topped hill just outside Uley, Gloucestershire, England. It is an impressive multi-vallate, scarp-edge Iron Age hill fort dating from around 300 B.C. Standing some 750 feet (235 metres) above sea level it has views over the Severn Vale.
Cam Congregational Church in the village of Upper Cam near the market town of Dursley, Gloucestershire, was founded in 1662. and originally known as Cam Independent Meeting. It was the first Nonconformist chapel in the area. It is a Grade II Listed Building in Cam, Gloucestershire, England.
The Purton Hulks or Purton Ships' Graveyard is a number of abandoned boats and ships, deliberately beached beside the River Severn near Purton in Gloucestershire, England, to reinforce the river banks. Most were beached in the 1950s and are now in a state of considerable decay. The site forms the largest ship graveyard in mainland Britain.
Nailsworth railway station served the town of Nailsworth in Gloucestershire, England and was the terminus of the 9.3 km-long Stonehouse and Nailsworth Railway, later part of the Midland Railway.
Whiteshill is a village in the Cotswolds, situated between Stroud and Gloucester, in Gloucestershire, England. The parish of Whiteshill and Ruscombe has a population of 1,175.
Whitminster is a village and civil parish in Gloucestershire, on the A38 trunk road approximately 6 miles (10 km) south of Gloucester and 6 miles (10 km) northwest of Stroud. The parish population at the 2011 census was 881. It was formerly known as Wheatenhurst, the name being changed officially in 1945. Wheatenhurst manor, with Whitminster House and the parish church of St Andrew, lies about 1 mile (2 km) to the west of the modern village.
St. Andrew's Church in Whitminster, Gloucestershire is a village church constructed from Cotswold stone.
Owlpen Manor is a Tudor Grade I listed manor house of the Mander family, situated in the village of Owlpen in the Stroud district in Gloucestershire, England. There is an associated estate set in a valley within the Cotswold Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. The manor house is about one mile east of Uley, and three miles east of Dursley.
Cam railway station served the village of Cam in Gloucestershire, England. The station was on the short Dursley and Midland Junction Railway line which linked the town of Dursley to the Midland Railway's Bristol to Gloucester line at Coaley Junction.
Snows Farm Nature Reserve (grid reference SO887081) is a 21.3-hectare (53-acre) nature reserve in Gloucestershire. The site is listed in the ‘Stroud District’ Local Plan, adopted November 2005, Appendix 6 (online for download) as a Key Wildlife Site (KWS).
The Camp is a hamlet in the south of Gloucestershire, approximately 10 miles south of Cheltenham and 5 miles north-east of Stroud. It is in the parish of Miserden, a village about 2 miles east of The Camp.
Woodchester railway station served the villages of Woodchester and Amberley in Gloucestershire, England. It was on the 9.3 km-long Stonehouse and Nailsworth Railway, later part of the Midland Railway.
Dursley Town Hall, also known as Dursley Market Hall, is a municipal building in the Market Place, Dursley, Gloucestershire, England. The structure, which is mainly used for markets and community events, is a Grade II* listed building.
Stonehouse (Bristol Road) railway station was a station in Stonehouse, England, on the Bristol and Gloucester Railway between Haresfield and Frocester.
Miserden War Memorial is a First World War memorial in the village of Miserden, near Stroud, in Gloucestershire, south-western England. The memorial, designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens, is today a grade II listed building.
Coombe is a settlement in the English county of Gloucestershire. It is adjacent to the town of Wotton-under-Edge. The town name can also be found spelled C-o-m-b-e
Dursley railway station served the town of Dursley in Gloucestershire, England, and was the terminus of the short Dursley and Midland Junction Railway line which linked the town to the Midland Railway's Bristol to Gloucester line at Coaley Junction.
Ryeford railway station served the villages of Ryeford, Kings Stanley and Leonard Stanley in Gloucestershire, England. It was on the 9.3 km-long Stonehouse and Nailsworth Railway, later part of the Midland Railway.
Wotton-under-Edge is a market town within the Stroud district of Gloucestershire, England. Located near the southern fringe of the Cotswolds, the Cotswold Way long-distance footpath passes through the town. Standing on the B4058, Wotton is about 5 miles (8.0 km) from the M5 motorway. The nearest railway station is Cam and Dursley, 7 miles (11 km) away by road, on the Bristol to Birmingham line.
The Subscription Rooms is a building in George Street at the centre of the town of Stroud, Gloucestershire, England, erected in 1833 under the architect Charles Baker of Painswick. Funding for its erection was obtained through public subscription, hence its name, in the case of the Subscription Rooms it was a group of wealthy merchants.
Gatcombe Park is the country residence of Anne, Princess Royal between the villages of Minchinhampton and Avening in Gloucestershire, England. Built in the late 18th century to the designs of George Basevi, it is a Grade II* listed building. It is a royal residence as it is home to the Princess Royal, and is privately owned. Parts of the grounds open for events, including horse trials and craft fairs.
Uley Long Barrow, also known locally as Hetty Pegler's Tump, is a Neolithic burial mound, near the village of Uley, Gloucestershire, England.
Lypiatt Park is a medieval and Tudor manor house with notable nineteenth-century additions in the parish of Bisley, near Stroud, in Gloucestershire, England. The grounds include a fine group of medieval outbuildings. It is a Grade I listed building.
Siccaridge Wood (grid reference SO935035) is a 26.6-hectare (66-acre) nature reserve in Gloucestershire. The site is listed in the ‘Stroud District’ Local Plan, adopted November 2005, Appendix 6 (online for download) as a Key Wildlife Site (KWS).
Egypt Mill is a Grade II* listed building and a former mill located in Nailsworth, a market town within the Stroud district of Gloucestershire, England. The oldest parts of the building date from the 14th century, but the majority dates from the 16th century. Haberdasher George Hudson bought the property in 1656. Two decades later, in 1675, Hudson and his partner Henry Willoughby leased the mill to clothier Richard Webb. The building remained in the hands of the Webb family until 1832, when it was sold to Playne & Smith. It is known as Egypt Mill because Nathan Webb was such a slavedriver that the mill workers nicknamed him Pharaoh, and said they might as well be slaves in Egypt. Peter Playne had previously been the tenant. Late in the 19th century it became a dyeworks and later was used for grinding corn and animal feed and was run by G.H. King & Sons. King restored the name "Egypt Mill", liking the idea of being "King of Egypt". Egypt Mill has been a restaurant, hotel and event venue since the 1980s.
WWT Slimbridge is a wetland wildlife reserve near Slimbridge in Gloucestershire, England. It is midway between Bristol and Gloucester on the eastern side of the estuary of the River Severn. The reserve, set up by the artist and naturalist Sir Peter Scott, opened in November 1946. Scott subsequently founded the Wildfowl & Wetlands Trust, which has since opened eight reserves around the country. Slimbridge comprises some 800 hectares (2,000 acres) of pasture, reed bed, lagoon and salt marsh. Many water birds live there all year round, and others are migrants on their ways to and from their summer breeding grounds. Other birds overwinter, including large numbers of white-fronted geese and increasing numbers of Bewick's swans.
Newport is a village in Alkington parish, Gloucestershire, England. Located along the A38 road roughly halfway between Bristol and Gloucester. It is located about a mile south-east of Berkeley and just north of Woodford. It is on the Doverte Brook, a tributary of the Little Avon River. It's pub ('The Stagecoach') formally the White Heart closed in 2021 and is now a kindergarten, a closed down motel ('The Newport Towers') is being redeveloped as a housing estate, and a small non-conformist chapel. The chapel closed October 2006 and it has a Georgian Interior with hat pegs and galleries and several broken harmoniums. Prior to the advent of the motor car, when the journey between Bristol and Gloucestershire took a whole day. It was a perfect staging point for stagecoaches at that time. There were many inns, some catering for the post. The coaches would have a change of horses, the coachmen and passengers having a mid-journey rest stop.
Lower Wick is a small hamlet located in the county of Gloucestershire, England. It is situated about five miles south west of Dursley, eighteen miles southwest of Gloucester and fifteen miles northeast of Bristol. Lower Wick is within the civil parish of Alkington.
Alkerton is a village in Gloucestershire, England. It is located along the M5 motorway just east of the River Severn. It is part of the parish of Eastington, and adjoins the village of Eastington at Eastington Cross
Berkeley railway station served the town of Berkeley in Gloucestershire, England. The station was on the Sharpness Branch Line, part of the Midland Railway (MR), which connected the Bristol and Gloucester Railway main line at Berkeley Road station with the docks at Sharpness.