St Nicholas Church in Thames Ditton, Surrey, England, is a Grade I listed Anglican parish church that has parts that date back to the 12th century.
Garrick's Ait (or Garrick's Eyot on Ordnance Survey maps), previously known as Shank's Eyot, is an ait in the River Thames in England on the reach above Molesey Lock, the nearest land being Moulsey Hurst (park) on the Surrey bank and the opposite bank being a much narrower riverside park of Hampton. It is the only island in the United Kingdom named after an actor.
Grand Junction Isle is a small island in the River Thames on the reach above Molesey Lock at Sunbury-on-Thames, Surrey, England. It is just downstream of Sunbury Court Island, which is three times longer and also close to the north bank.
Hinchley Wood is a largely residential suburban village approximately 12.3 to 13.4 miles south-west of Charing Cross in central London, and within the Greater London Urban Area. It developed largely around its railway station at its heart on the New Guildford Line — and many of its homes house at least one commuter to Central London. The village has one main parade of convenience shops, local services and a petrol station; throughout the area is a light smattering of small businesses.
The Queen Elizabeth II Reservoir lies to the south of the River Thames and to the west of the Island Barn Reservoir. To the north are the Bessborough and Knight reservoirs. The A3050 runs to the north of the reservoir and it is situated in Walton on Thames. It is managed by Thames Water.
The Knight Reservoir is a large pumped storage reservoir located in the Borough of Elmbridge in Surrey. It was inaugurated in 1907 and stores up to 2,180 million litres of raw water abstracted from the River Thames prior to its treatment and supply to London and north Surrey. It is located south of the River Thames, west of West Molesey, and between Hurst Road (A3050) and Walton Road (B369). It is adjacent to, and west of, its twin Bessborough Reservoir.
The Island Barn Reservoir lies south of the River Thames in England at West Molesey and north of Lower Green, Esher. The reservoir is 122 acres (0.49 km2) large with a capacity of 992 million gallons and is managed by Thames Water. It is within the borough of Elmbridge and is surrounded by the River Mole to the west and the River Ember to the east. Queen Elizabeth II Reservoir is a larger reservoir to the West.
The Scilly Isles () is a double roundabout between the English towns of Esher and Kingston upon Thames (which do not adjoin each other) but which lie on the traditional route of the Portsmouth Road. The name is a corruption of "silly islands", a nickname given to the road system when it was built in the 1930s.
Weston Green is a small suburban village and a ward in the Elmbridge borough of Surrey. This area was, until 1901, a part of Thames Ditton with which it remains contiguous and associated. Weston Green is also contiguous with Esher, which provides the village's closest railway station. The village forms a rough triangle of land along the west side of the midsection of the Hampton Court Branch Line next to Thames Ditton railway station and down to Esher railway station (which is on the South Western Main Line), with the split between the two being the part dual-carriageway, the A309.
Opened on 28 September 1936, Hersham railway station is on the London to Woking line and operated by South Western Railway. The station is 0.7 miles (1.1 km) north of Hersham village centre, adjoined to one side by housing and the other by fields and a golf course. It is 15 miles 73 chains (25.6 km) from London Waterloo and is situated between Esher and Walton-on-Thames.
Molesey Lock is a lock on the River Thames in England at East Molesey, Surrey on the right bank.
Lower Green is a residential and commercial area within Esher, in Surrey, England, and is situated on the bank of the River Ember and River Mole. There is no high street, however there is a cafe, corner shop and brewery that has a tap room open to the public. There are many businesses located in Lower Green, most of which are located in the commercial complex comprising Sandown Industrial Complex and Royal Mills where the historic Royal Mills were once located. There is a retail restaurant-lined street (A307 High Street) to the south west, which is a 10-minute walk. Lower Green is divided into two wards of the United Kingdom: Hinchley Wood & Weston Green and Esher both in Surrey.
Netherne-on-the-Hill is a village in Surrey, England, occupying a plateau once home to Netherne Hospital. The village is across a narrow valley from Hooley in north of the borough of Reigate and Banstead; through the valley runs the Hooley Tunnel cutting and A23, the only road from which the village can be accessed, from two designated side roads; a few metres south of the southern T-junction, the road divides into two grades: the A23 to Redhill, 3 miles (4.8 km) south, and the M23 motorway which has a junction with the M25 motorway within Merstham's boundaries, the former village of the hilltop land. The post town, Coulsdon in Greater London is centred 1.8 miles (2.9 km) due north.
Joseph Grimaldi Park is a public garden located off Pentonville Road in Islington, north London. The former burial grounds for St James’s Anglican Chapel (formerly known as the Burial Ground of St James’s) are located within the park, which is named after the pantomime clown Joseph Grimaldi, who is buried here.
Chipstead is a predominantly commuter village in north-east Surrey, England, that has been a small ecclesiastical parish since the Domesday Survey of 1086. Its rolling landscape meant that Chipstead's development was late and restricted compared to parishes of comparable distance from London. Formerly and formally including Hooley and Netherne-on-the-Hill, on census day, 1831 Chipstead had 66 homes. Today, excluding those two parts, the village has 1,212 homes spread across the slopes and crests of a northern section of the North Downs. Parts of the village are in or adjoin the Surrey Hills AONB.
Hooley is a small village in the borough of Reigate and Banstead in Surrey, England. Within its small grid of streets is the 13th-century church of Chipstead which has been, since time immemorial, its ecclesiastical parish. Hooley is connected via paths and the A23 road to the larger community of Coulsdon, to the north, in the London Borough of Croydon.
Titsey is a rural village and a civil parish on the North Downs almost wholly within the M25 London Orbital Motorway in the Tandridge District of Surrey, England.
Titsey Place is an English country house near Oxted in Surrey, England. It was successively the seat of the Gresham and Leveson-Gower families and is now preserved by a charitable trust for the nation.
Warlingham School is a lead school lead in the Tandridge Learning Trust - a Multi Academy Trust started November 2016. It is a large secondary school with pupils aged 11–16, and also has a sixth form for 16- to 18-year-olds. The school is located in the village of Warlingham, in Surrey, England. It is one of three other secondary schools in the district of Tandridge.
The church of Saints Peter and Paul at Chaldon, Surrey, is a Church of England parish church in the Diocese of Southwark. The building was begun before 1086 and is Grade I listed. It is notable for containing a large mural dating from around 1170, depicting images of the Last Judgement and purgatory.
Sacred Heart Church or formally the Church of the Sacred Heart of Jesus is a Roman Catholic Parish church in Caterham, Surrey. It was built in 1881 and designed by Ingress Bell. It is situated between Essendene Road and Whyteleafe Road off the High Street. It is a Grade II listed building.
Sunnydown School is a special boarding secondary school situated in the town of Caterham in Surrey, England. The school educates students aged 11 to 16.
Defence Medical Rehabilitation Centre Headley Court (abbreviated to DMRC Headley Court, and more commonly known as Headley Court), formerly RAF Headley Court, was an 85-acre (34 ha) United Kingdom Ministry of Defence facility in Headley, near Epsom, Surrey, England. The site was sold by the MoD in 2018, upon purchase of Stanford Hall, and its conversion to the Defence and National Rehabilitation Centre.
Nonsuch Mansion is an historic house located within Nonsuch Park on the border of Greater London and north Surrey, England. It is on the boundaries of the borough of Epsom and Ewell and the London Borough of Sutton. It has been listed Grade II* on the National Heritage List for England since April 1954.
Nork is a residential area of the borough of Reigate and Banstead in Surrey and borders Greater London, England. Nork is separated from its post town Banstead only by the A217 dual carriageway, and the built-up area is also contiguous with similar parts of Tattenham Corner and Burgh Heath. A thin belt of more open land separates it from the communities to the north: Epsom, Ewell, Cheam and Belmont. There are two parades of shops, one called the Driftbridge and another at the north-eastern end of Nork Way, the street which runs centrally through the residential area. Nork lies on chalk near the top of the gentle north-facing slope of the North Downs, 175 m (575 ft) above sea level at its highest point.
Prince's Coverts is an area of 864 acres (3.50 km2; 1.350 sq mi) of managed woodland in Oxshott, Surrey, England, to which there is public access. It is owned and managed by the Crown Estate who refer to the area as Oxshott Woods. It adjoins Malden Rushett in Greater London, the Pachesham Park estate and Leatherhead Golf Course to the east.
Priory Preparatory School was a preparatory school in Banstead, Surrey, England, for boys aged two to thirteen years, which was closed in 2017. The school was a member of the Independent Association of Preparatory Schools (IAPS) and of the Independent Schools Council (ISC). It was founded in 1921, and was a charitable trust. Upon closure in 2017, pupils moved to the new Banstead Preparatory School at the site formerly occupied by Greenacre School for Girls.
Reed's School is an independent day and boarding school for boys located in Cobham, Surrey, England. The school was founded in 1813, by Rev. Andrew Reed, D.D. and incorporated by Act of Parliament in 1845 under the presidency of the Archbishop of Canterbury, the Duke of Wellington and the Marquis of Salisbury. It is boys only until Year 11, but admits girls in Years 12 & 13. There are currently around 700 day pupils (620 boys, 80 girls) and 100 full-time boarders (80 boys, 20 girls). Since 1951, Queen Elizabeth II has acted as the school's 15th patron and has visited the school twice as the reigning monarch, once in March 1997 and most recently in March 2014 (along with Prince Philip) as part of the school's bicentennial celebrations. During her 2014 visit, the Queen unveiled a new stained glass window, designed by the artist Helen Whittaker, in the Chapel. Former pupils are known as ’Old Reedonians’.
St Ebba's Hospital formerly Ewell Epileptic Colony (1904–1918) and later Ewell Mental Hospital (1927–1938) is a mental handicap and former psychiatric hospital near Epsom in the county of Surrey in the United Kingdom.
St George's Church, Esher is a Grade I listed Anglican church in Esher, Surrey, England. Built in the 16th century, it was Esher's parish church for 300 years, though later worshippers included Queen Victoria. However, by the mid-19th century the building was deemed too small for the growing population, and was replaced by Christ Church, built nearby on Esher Green in 1853/4. St George's was not therefore subjected to Victorian ‘improvements’, and its Tudor origins remain evident. It is now cared for by the Churches Conservation Trust.
The Anglican Church of St Mary the Virgin, Ewell is the civic church of the borough of Epsom and Ewell in the county of Surrey in South East England.
Ashtead Park is a 24.2-hectare (60-acre) Local Nature Reserve in Ashtead in Surrey. It is owned by Mole Valley District Council and managed by the Surrey Wildlife Trust. It contains several important listed buildings. The Park itself has remains of a Roman building, four lakes/ponds and the school's playing fields and is Grade II listed on the Register of Historic Parks and Gardens.
Parkside School , is an independent preparatory school in Cobham in Surrey, England. It caters for boys aged 2 to 13 years and for girls in the nursery aged 2 to 4 years. The school currently has a little over 300 children attending.
Nonsuch Park is a public park between Stoneleigh, North Cheam, Cheam, and Ewell on the boundaries of the borough of Epsom and Ewell in Surrey, England and the London Borough of Sutton. It is the last surviving part of the Little Park of Nonsuch, a deer hunting park established by Henry VIII of England surrounding the former Nonsuch Palace. The western regions of the larger adjacent Great Park of Nonsuch became known as Worcester Park after the 4th Earl of Worcester was appointed Keeper of the Great Park in 1606.
Stoke D'Abernon () is a village and former civil parish in the borough of Elmbridge in Surrey, England. It is on the right bank of the River Mole contiguously south of Cobham, a larger settlement which is a post town and is east-southeast of Oxshott a large village founded in the 19th century from the higher, sandy forested part of its formerly expansive area. It shares a railway station with Cobham and is inside the M25 motorway. Cobham Training Centre, the training ground of Chelsea F.C., is within its traditional boundaries.
Tattenham Corner is a neighbourhood in north Surrey, UK, but the name is principally associated with Epsom Racecourse. It is in the Tattenhams ward of Reigate and Banstead Borough.
The Thames Down Link is a 24 km (15 mi) official walking route linking the Thames Path and the North Downs Way. It starts in the town centre of Kingston upon Thames and finishes at Box Hill & Westhumble railway station.
The Beacon School, previously Nork Park School, is a mixed academy school in Banstead, Surrey. Although the lower school is non-selective, the Sixth Form stresses the importance of academic and extra-curricula achievement. The school's headteacher was Lisa Croke, from 2010-2015 and then Russell Bennett from 2015-2017. The current head is Keith Batchelor. The school elect Upper Sixth students as Sixth Form Officials; they take on the roles of Head Boy, Head Girl, Deputy Head Boy, Deputy Head Girl and Head of House.
Therfield School is a coeducational secondary school and sixth form located in Leatherhead, Surrey,[England. Therfield School sixth form teaches courses of further education for students between the ages of 16 and 18 and has an arrangement of reciprocated entry criteria with three others in the county: The Ashcombe School, Warlingham School and Oxted School.
Chinthurst School is an independent co-educational nursery, pre-preparatory and preparatory school in semi-rural surroundings in the village of Tadworth, Surrey, England, 15 miles south of the centre of London. As a member of the RGS Group, the school is associated with Reigate Grammar School and Reigate St Mary's Preparatory and Choir School. Its pupils' ages range from almost three to eleven years.
City of London Freemen's School (CLFS) is a co-educational private school for day and boarding pupils, located at Ashtead Park in Surrey, England. It is the sister school of the City of London School and the City of London School for Girls, which are both independent single-sex schools located within the City of London itself. All three schools receive funding from the City's Cash. The school is a member of the Headmasters' and Headmistresses' Conference.
Claremont Landscape Garden, just outside Esher, Surrey, England, is one of the earliest surviving gardens of its kind of landscape design, the English Landscape Garden — still featuring its original 18th-century layout. The garden is Grade I listed on the Register of Historic Parks and Gardens.
Epsom Common is a 177.4-hectare (438-acre) Local Nature Reserve in Epsom in Surrey. It is owned and managed by Epsom and Ewell Borough Council. It is part of Epsom and Ashtead Commons, a Site of Special Scientific Interest.
The Epsom Downs Branch is a railway line in the United Kingdom. The line runs from Sutton to Epsom Downs and is about 3 3⁄4 miles (6.0 km) long. The line starts at Sutton in the London Borough of Sutton. It is double track for about 3⁄4 mile (1.2 km) until it reaches the approach to Belmont where it becomes single track. The line continues from Belmont through Banstead and terminates at Epsom Downs in Surrey. The "Downs" referred to in the name are part of the North Downs.
The Thorndike Theatre is a Grade II listed building in Leatherhead, Surrey, England. Roderick Ham designed the theatre within the shell of the disused 1930s Crescent Cinema. Named after Dame Sybil Thorndike, the theatre was opened on 17 September 1969 by Princess Margaret.
The Church of St. Mary & St. Nicholas is an Anglican parish church in Leatherhead, Surrey, England. Dating originally to around the 11th century, it remains a place of worship to this day. It is a Grade II* listed building.
Bookham Commons are two commons, situated just to the north of the villages of Great Bookham and Little Bookham, in Surrey, England, 154.7 hectares (382 acres) in extent; the individual parts are named Great Bookham Common and Little Bookham Common. A group of dwellings known as the Isle of Wight is situated within the site, and a track, Common Road, leads to it from the northwest. Little Bookham Common (the smaller of the two parts of the site) lies south and west of this track, whereas Great Bookham Common lies to the east.
Epsom College is a co-educational independent school on Epsom Downs, Surrey, England, for pupils aged 11 to 18. It was founded in 1853 as a boys' school to provide support for poor members of the medical profession such as pensioners and orphans ("Foundationers"). The college caters takes day pupils throughout with some boarding in 5 of the 13 houses in the senior (14 to 18) part of the school. The headmaster is a member of the Headmasters' and Headmistresses' Conference.
St Mary's Church, Fetcham, Surrey, England is a Church of England parish church (community) but also refers to its building which dates to the 11th century, that of the Norman Conquest and as such is the settlement's oldest building. It is set off the residential road of its address, The Ridgeway, behind a small park, in the suburban part of the largely 20th century railway settlement adjoining the M25 London Orbital Motorway which has retained farmed rural outskirts. The closest secular building is Grade II* listed Fetcham Park House, which is in the same architectural category and the church has an adjoining church hall.
Cobham & Stoke d'Abernon railway station is in the village of Stoke d'Abernon in Surrey, England and also serves the nearby town of Cobham. It is 18 miles 63 chains (30.2 km) down the line from London Waterloo.
Downsend School is a co-educational independent school for pupils aged between two and sixteen. As of 2020 the school has expanded its educational provision, for pupils, up to GCSE. It is located in Ashtead, Leatherhead and Epsom, in Surrey, UK.
St. Edward the Martyr Orthodox Church is a True Orthodox Church in Brookwood, Surrey, England.
Worplesdon railway station is a railway station in the Woking district of Surrey, England. The station is located between Woking and Guildford stations on the Portsmouth Direct Line, 26 miles 55 chains (42.9 km) down the line from London Waterloo.
Sunbury railway station serves the town of Sunbury-on-Thames, in the Spelthorne district of Surrey, England. It is 16 miles 64 chains (27.0 km) down the line from London Waterloo. The station and all trains serving it are operated by South Western Railway.
The Borough of Woking is a local government district with borough status in the west of Surrey, England. It is one of eleven districts within the administrative county of Surrey. Local government functions are split between Surrey County Council and Woking Borough Council.
North Camp railway station is situated in the civil parish of Ash in Surrey, England. It takes its name from the nearby North Camp area of Farnborough, Hampshire.
Kempton Park railway station in Sunbury-on-Thames in Surrey is on the Shepperton branch line, 16 miles 26 chains (26.3 km) down the line from London Waterloo. The station and all trains serving it are operated by South Western Railway. Access is from the front car park of Kempton Park Racecourse.
Thorpe Park Resort, commonly known as Thorpe Park, is an amusement park located between the towns of Chertsey and Staines-upon-Thames in Surrey, England. It is operated and owned by Merlin Entertainments and includes rides, a themed hotel, live events and Stealth, the UK's fastest rollercoaster.
Stealth is a launched roller coaster located in the Amity area of Thorpe Park in Surrey, England, UK. Built and designed by Intamin of Switzerland for £12 million, the Accelerator Coaster model opened in 2006, one year after Rita at Alton Towers, another Accelerator Coaster built by Intamin. It can reach a maximum height of 62.5 metres (205 ft) and accelerate from 0 to 80 mph (130 km/h) in 1.9 seconds. It is the fastest roller coaster in the UK, and the second tallest after the Big One at Blackpool Pleasure Beach.
The Flying Fish is a powered steel roller coaster located at Thorpe Park in Surrey. The ride was known as Space Station Zero upon opening in 1984, until being moved outdoors in 1990. It was removed in 2005 to make way for Stealth, but reinstalled in a different location two years later.
The Founder's Building is the original building of Royal Holloway College, University of London (RHUL), in Egham, Surrey, England. It is an example of Gothic Revival architecture in the United Kingdom. Today it is the dominant building on the campus.
Frimley Park Hospital is a large, 938-bed general hospital in Frimley, Surrey. It is managed by Frimley Health NHS Foundation Trust, and houses a private wing.
The Frimley Lodge Miniature Railway is operated by the Frimley and Ascot Locomotive Club and is located within Frimley Lodge Park, Surrey.
Fullbrook School is a secondary school and sixth form in north west Surrey, England. The school has held Specialist Mathematics and Computing College status since 2002. The school gained Grant Maintained status in the mid-1990s and was then given foundation status in 1999. In 2011 the school became an academy. Its main catchment areas are Byfleet, West Byfleet and New Haw with some pupils coming from Addlestone, Woking, Goldsworth Park and Sheerwater. The school has around 1550 students and there are about 250 students in the school's Sixth Form. In January 2017 Mrs. A Turner retired as head of Fullbrook School, and was succeeded by Mrs. K Moore.
Goldsworth Park is a large housing estate to the north-west of Woking in Surrey, England. It was named after the nearby Goldsworth area which was a large 'tithing' of Woking Parish. The tithing included most of the north west of Woking, such as Brookwood, Knaphill and St. John's. It is bordered by villages such as St. John's, Knaphill and Horsell.
HMP Bronzefield is an adult and young offender female prison located on the outskirts of Ashford in Middlesex, England. Bronzefield is the only purpose-built private prison solely for women in the UK, and is the largest female prison in Europe. The prison is operated by Sodexo Justice Services.
Halliford School is a selective boys independent school, which also admits girls into its sixth form, in Lower Halliford, Shepperton, Surrey, England. The school is a member of the Headmasters' and Headmistresses' Conference (HMC). The current Headmaster is Mr James Davies. Former pupils of the school are known as "Old Hallifordians". The school's grounds are situated on the edge of Spelthorne, providing access from London, the major airports, the M3 and M4 motorways.
Hamhaugh Island is an island, historically known simply as Stadbury in the River Thames in England south of Shepperton Lock, in Shepperton, Surrey.
The Royal Horticultural Society's garden at Wisley in the English county of Surrey south of London, is one of five gardens run by the Society, the others being Harlow Carr, Hyde Hall, Rosemoor, and Bridgewater (opening in 2020). Wisley is the second most visited paid entry garden in the United Kingdom after the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, with 1,071,088 visitors in 2018.
The Muslim Burial Ground, in the town of Woking in the English county of Surrey, was the original resting place of two dozen Muslim soldiers who died during World War I and World War II. It is now a peace garden dedicated to all the Muslim soldiers of the British Indian Army who died during both wars. The site measures about 120 feet (37 m) by 100 feet (30 m) and is located in the southeast corner of Horsell Common about 100 metres (330 ft) off Monument Road. It is a Grade II listed building.
Mytchett is a small suburban village in Surrey, 30 miles (48 km) west-southwest of Charing Cross, London (geodesically) and centred 2 miles (3 km) east of the town centre of Farnborough, Hampshire.
The New Victoria Theatre in Woking, England opened in June 1992. The main theatre seats approximately 1,300 people, making it one of the largest receiving house theatres outside London. In addition to the main theatre the complex also contains the smaller Rhoda McGaw Theatre and a six-screen cinema. The theatre has presented dramas from groups such as the Royal Shakespeare Company, Royal National Theatre and the Peter Hall Company; regular visitors also include Glyndebourne on Tour, Scottish Ballet and Northern Ballet Theatre.
Notre Dame School is an independent Catholic girls day school located in Cobham, Surrey, England. The school includes both a preparatory school and a senior school.
Old Woking is a ward and the original settlement of the town and borough of Woking, Surrey, about 1.3 miles (2.1 km) southeast of the modern town centre. It is bounded by the Hoe Stream to the north and the River Wey to the south and between Kingfield to the west and farmland to the east. The village has no dual carriageways or motorways, its main road is the A247, which connects Woking with Clandon Park and provides access to the A3. The village contains parts of Woking's two largest parks and two converted paper mills. The expanded village largely consists of semi-detached houses with gardens and covers an area of 224 hectares (550 acres)
Penton Hook Island is a mainly wooded former peninsula created into a series of three weir-divided islands in the River Thames in England, so created in river modifications since 1815 with a navigable lock and weir stream channel to form meander cutoffs. It has a lock and weirs that are the divide between the Laleham Reach, above Chertsey Lock and Staines Reach, above Penton Hook Lock.
Penton Hook Lock is the sixth lowest lock of forty four on the non-tidal reaches of the River Thames in England. It faces an island which was until its construction a pronounced meander (a hook) and is on the site of its seasonal cutoff. It is against the left bank marking the church parish medieval border of Laleham and Staines upon Thames in Surrey for many centuries. Until 1965 their county was Middlesex. At 266 ft (81 m) it is the third longest lock on the river.
Penton Hook Marina is the largest inland marina in Britain. It is situated on the River Thames in Surrey between Staines and Chertsey on the western bank of the river and is close to Thorpe Park. It is on the reach above Chertsey Lock and opposite Penton Hook Island.
The Princess Royal Barracks, Deepcut, commonly referred to as Deepcut Barracks, was the headquarters of the Royal Logistic Corps (RLC) of the British Army and the Defence College of Logistics, Policing and Administration. Located near Camberley, Surrey, England, it was the headquarters of the Royal Army Ordnance Corps until the formation of the RLC in 1993. At that time, it was known as Blackdown Barracks. The barracks remain home to the RLC Museum, the Band of the RLC, The Defence Logistics School and 25 Training Support Regiment RLC, which trains the officers and soldiers in a range of logistical skills.
Pyrford is a village in the borough of Woking in Surrey, England. It is on the left bank of the River Wey, around 2 miles (3.2 km) east of the town of Woking and just south of West Byfleet; the M25 motorway is north-east of the edge of the former parish.
The Queen Mary Reservoir is one of the largest of London's reservoirs supplying fresh water to London and parts of surrounding counties, and is located in the Borough of Spelthorne in Surrey. The reservoir covers 707 acres (2.86 km2) and is 45 ft (14 m) above the surrounding area.
All Souls' Church is located in Sutton Green, Guildford, England. The church is in the Parish of Woking St Peter and the Diocese of Guildford.
The Magna Carta School is an 11–16 academy school in Surrey, England, which has been awarded specialisms in Technology and ICT. It is named after the Magna Carta due to its proximity to Runnymede, where the document was signed. The school contains over 1200 pupils including over 60 prefects.
Westfield is an area in Woking Borough, Surrey. Westfield marks the southern boundary of Woking altering from English archetypal suburban homes in the north to semi-rural homes, smallholdings, small woodlands and fields in the south, where it abuts areas of London's Metropolitan Green Belt.
Christ Church, Ottershaw is a Church of England church on Guildford Road in the village of Ottershaw in the Runnymede district of Surrey, England, about 20 miles south-west of London. Grade II listed, it was designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott (1811–78).
The Church of St Mary the Virgin, Stanwell is a Church of England parish church in the village of Stanwell, Surrey. It dates to the 12th-century and is a grade I listed building. It has Norman and Gothic architectural elements including a 14th-century spire.
Frimley Park in Frimley, Surrey, England, consists of Frimley Park mansion, a Grade II listed building, and the formal gardens, designed by Edward White in 1920. The house and gardens are all that remain of an estate that once encompassed more than 590 hectares (1,500 acres). Since 1949 it has belonged to the War Office (now the Ministry of Defence), and currently hosts an Army Cadet training centre.
St John's Church is located in St John's, Woking, England. The church is in the parish of St John's, Diocese of Guildford, which in turn is in the Province of Canterbury. The local village is named after the church.
The Surrey History Centre in Woking, Surrey, England, collects and rescues archives and printed materials relating to Surrey's past and present. It replaced the former Surrey Record Office, which had been based in Kingston upon Thames.
St Tarcisius Church is a Roman Catholic Parish church in Camberley, Surrey. It was built between 1923 and 1924 and was designed by Frederick Walters. It is situated on the London Road, to the north of the town, next to The Atrium Shopping Centre. It is a Grade II listed building.
Silvermere is an estate in Surrey, England named after its mere – a shallow lake of about ten acres which has a silvery appearance when seen from the surrounding slopes. It was created in the 19th century for the rich architect, William Atkinson, and subsequently became the home of the Seth Smith family, who had also become wealthy from property development. An ancient British burial mound was found on the land and the Silvermere Urn was found within. During World War II, the mere was used for experiments to develop and test the bouncing bomb. The estate is now a golf course and the final green is on an island in the mere.
Truss's Island is a small island in the River Thames in England, between Staines-upon-Thames and Laleham. The uninhabited island is publicly accessible across two footbridges from the right (western) bank of the Thames and is landscaped with grass, trees and shrubs.
Cobham Free School is an all-through mixed free school which has one site in Cobham and another in West Molesey, Elmbridge, Surrey, England.
St John's Beaumont School is an independent day and boarding Jesuit preparatory school, and is for boys aged 3 to 13 years old. It is situated between Englefield Green and Old Windsor on Priest's Hill, with the school building in Surrey and the sports fields in Berkshire. It was opened in 1888, and it is the oldest purpose-built preparatory school in the UK. The building is Grade II listed and was designed by John Francis Bentley in Tudor style with a Perpendicular chapel, and it was named St John's, in honour of St John Berchmans, who was canonised that year.
Byfleet & New Haw railway station is on the London to Woking line, operated by South Western Railway. The station is at the northern edge of Byfleet with the village of New Haw immediately to the north and the M25 motorway within 400 m to the west.
Weybridge railway station is near the established midpoint of Weybridge in Surrey, England and south of its town centre. It is on the South Western Main Line and operated by South Western Railway.
Stanwell is an urban and suburban village in Surrey, England, within the borough of Spelthorne. It is centred 16 miles (26 km) west-southwest of Charing Cross, and 1⁄2 mile (800 m) from the southern boundary of Heathrow Airport, adjoining its cargo depot.
Shepperton railway station is a passenger station serving Shepperton, a small town in Surrey, England. It is 18 miles 73 chains (30.4 km) down the line from London Waterloo.
Heathside School is a co-educational secondary school for students aged 11–18 situated in Brooklands Lane, Weybridge, Surrey, England. The Principal is Tracy Dohel and the Executive Head is Anne Cullum.
Hersham is a village in Surrey, within the M25. Its housing is relatively low-rise and diverse and it has four technology/trading estates. The only contiguous settlement is Walton-on-Thames, its post town.
Horsell is a village in the borough of Woking in Surrey, England, less than a mile north-west of Woking town centre. In November 2012, its population was 9,384. Horsell is integral to H. G. Wells' classic science fiction novel The War of the Worlds, the sand pits of Horsell Common being the site of the first Martian landing. Horsell Common has since been designated a Site of Special Scientific Interest. Another landmark is the McLaren Technology Centre, built on the northern edge of the common in the early 2000s for the McLaren Group.
Jacobs Well or Jacobswell is a small village in Surrey, England, of 20th century creation, with a population of 1,171. The village forms a northern outskirt of Guildford, in the civil parish of Worplesdon which can be considered the mother village of medieval date to the west. The Stoke Hill part of Stringers Common, Slyfield Industrial Estate and a Surrey County Council general waste transfer station to the south form the narrowest of its buffer zones to all sides, separating the Slyfield part of Guildford from the village.
Jubilee High School is a coeducational secondary school with academy status, located in Addlestone, Surrey, England. The school holds Artsmark Gold Award and International School status.
Kempton Park Racecourse is a horse racing track together with a licensed entertainment and conference venue in Sunbury-on-Thames, Surrey, England, 16 miles south-west of Charing Cross, London and on a border of Greater London. The site has 210 acres (85 hectares) (0.85 km²) of flat grassland surrounded by woodland with two lakes in its centre. Its entrance borders Kempton Park railway station which was created for racegoers on a branch line from London Waterloo, via Clapham Junction.
The King George VI Reservoir sits between Stanwell Moor and Staines upon Thames, south-west of Heathrow, England. It is between Staines Moor and a north-south road abutting the Staines Reservoirs. The reservoir was opened in November 1947 and named after the then reigning monarch George VI. It is owned by Thames Water.
Kingfield Stadium, also known as Laithwaite Community Stadium for sponsorship reasons, is the home of Woking F.C. in the Kingfield area of Woking, Surrey which has a capacity of 6,036 of which 2,500 are seated on grandstands.
Lightwater is a village in the Surrey Heath district of Surrey, England, about 27 miles (43 km) south-west of Central London. Immediately surrounding towns and villages include Bagshot, Deepcut, Windlesham, Camberley, and West End, Woking. It is bounded to the north-west by the M3 motorway and to the north-east by the "Lightwater Bypass" (A322). To the south-east it is bounded by the "Red Road" (B311), while to the south-west there are vehicle-testing tracks owned by the Ministry of Defence.
Newark Priory is a ruined priory on an island surrounded by the River Wey and its former leat (the Abbey Stream) near the boundary of the village (parish lands) of Ripley and Pyrford in Surrey, England.
Thorpe Hay Meadow is a 6.4-hectare (16-acre) biological Site of Special Scientific Interest west of Staines-upon-Thames in Surrey. It is owned and managed by the Surrey Wildlife Trust.
Woking College is one of the U.K’s top performing 6th Form Colleges with over 1,400 16-19 yr. olds studying A Levels and Advanced Vocational Courses.
Woking Crematorium is a crematorium in Woking, a large town in the west of Surrey, England. Established in 1878, it was the first custom-built crematorium in the United Kingdom and is closely linked to the history of cremation in the UK.
Wraysbury Skiff and Punting Club (WSPC) is an English skiff and punting club founded in 1931 based on the River Thames at the start of the Surrey section of the right bank – between the rest of Runnymede (the meadow in the borough of the same name) and Bell Weir Lock (founded as Egham Lock).
Yeoveney Halt was a railway platform of a minimalist nature on the Staines & West Drayton Railway (which became part of the Great Western Railway in 1900). It was opened in June 1887 as Runnymede Range Halt on a restricted basis (as a private facility for a nearby rifle range), gaining a regular public service from 1 March 1892. It was renamed Runymede Halt on 9 July 1934, and again renamed Yeoveney Halt on 4 November 1935, to deter tourists who came seeking the place where Magna Carta was signed (which was some distance away by road). It closed on 14 May 1962, before the 1965 closure of the branch.
St Mary's, Staines, is a Church of England parish church in the town and parish of Staines-upon-Thames, in the Spelthorne borough of Surrey and the Greater London Urban Area. The parish is in the Archdeaconry of Middlesex in the Diocese of London. The church building is on an unusual rise against the Thames at the west end of the town. It has been a Grade II* listed building since 11 August 1952.
St Peter's Church is situated in Old Woking, Surrey, England. It is recorded in the Domesday Book. It also has the third oldest surviving door in the British Isles. It also has the oldest door in Surrey.
Staines Boat Club is a rowing club between Penton Hook Lock and Bell Weir Lock on the River Thames in England. The club was founded in 1851 where its boathouse stands with hardstanding next to the Hythe spur of the Thames Path in Egham Hythe, historically also known as Staines hythe, the last word meaning small harbour or river harbour.
Ashford Hospital is an acute general hospital in Ashford, Surrey. It is managed by the Ashford and St Peter's Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.
Reigate Heath Windmill is a grade II* listed post mill at Reigate Heath, Surrey, England which has been restored and is used as a chapel. It is thought to be the only windmill in the world which is a consecrated church.
The Church of St Nicholas, Charlwood is the parish church of Charlwood, Surrey, England. With a 12th-century tower and nave section and examples of 13th to 15th century art, fixtures and architecture, it is a Grade I listed building.
Clacket Lane services is a motorway service station on the M25 motorway midway between junctions 5 and 6, in Surrey, United Kingdom, adjacent to the parish borders between Limpsfield, Surrey and Westerham, Kent, a small village and a town respectively. The services are owned by Roadchef.
Colley Hill is part of the North Downs escarpment in the North Downs, Surrey, England. It is about 1 km east of Buckland Hills and 1 km west of Reigate Hill, all of which form part of the same escarpment. It is centred 30 kilometres (19 mi) south of London and forms a single scarp with Reigate Hill, peaking 2 miles (3 km) away at 235 metres above sea level. The scarp fluctuates in height but is continuous as far as Box Hill 5 miles (8 km) west. The term "Reigate Hill" also designates a neighbourhood of Reigate, and also a ward of Reigate and Banstead.
Denbies Wine Estate, near Dorking, Surrey, has the largest vineyard in England, with 265 acres (1.07 km2) under vines, representing more than 10 per cent of the plantings in the whole of the United Kingdom. It has a visitors' centre that attracts around 300,000 visits a year.
Dorking Wanderers Football Club is a semi-professional football club based in Dorking, Surrey, England. Affiliated to the Surrey County Football Association, they are currently members of the National League South, the sixth tier of English football, and play at Meadowbank.
Outwood Windmill is a Grade I listed post mill in Outwood, Surrey. Built in 1665 by Thomas Budgen, a miller from Nutfield in Surrey, it is Britain's oldest working windmill.
Reigate College is a state college in Reigate, Surrey, England, for students aged between 16–19 years of age. The college occupies part of the town centre between the High Street and railway station.
Milton Court, at the far west of the town of Dorking, is a 17th-century country house in Surrey. The Court was expanded and substantially rebuilt by the Victorian architect William Burges and is a Grade II* Listed Building including the attached forecourt walls, balustrading, terrace, piers, urns and stone-carved ball finial.
Margery is a heavily buffered, lightly populated hamlet in the Reigate and Banstead district, in the English county of Surrey. It sits on the North Downs, is bordered by the London Orbital Motorway, at a lower altitude, and its predominant land use is agriculture.
Meadvale or less commonly Mead Vale is a southern residential suburb that straddles borders of Redhill and Reigate in the borough of Reigate and Banstead in Surrey, and one of two which do so. The average elevation of the district is higher than the centres of each of the towns – Meadvale is bisected east-west by the Greensand Way at the top of a moderately low section of the Greensand Ridge. Its population, as broadly defined on its ward definition, is 3,090 spread over 64 hectares (160 acres) based upon the most recent national census.
Merstham is a town in the borough of Reigate and Banstead in Surrey, England. It is north of Redhill and is contiguous with it. Part of the North Downs Way runs along the northern boundary of the town. Merstham has community associations, an early medieval church, a football club and an art gallery.
The Mole Gap Trail is a 10-kilometre (6.2 mi) official walking route alongside the River Mole, linking the Surrey towns of Dorking and Leatherhead. The trail is marked on Ordnance Survey maps. The trail runs through Norbury Park, the village of Westhumble and across Denbies Wine Estate.
Newchapel is a large hamlet in Surrey, England. It lies on the A22 between Godstone and East Grinstead. It is the location of the London England Temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church). The temple, only open to followers of that religious group, has a visitors' centre where the beliefs of the Mormons are explained; visitors can also stroll in the grounds. The closest villages are Lingfield, Felbridge, Copthorne and Blindley Heath.
North Holmwood is a residential area on the outskirts of Dorking, in Surrey, England. The village is accessible from the A24, the village's historic heart is the road Spook Hill. The 2011 census for the broader area Holmwoods shows a population of 6,417 and that North Holmwood forms part of the Dorking Built-up Area.
Oakwood School is a community secondary school located in Horley, Surrey, England. It is co-educational and caters for students in the 11-16 age range in that it does not have a sixth form.
Oxted School is a coeducational secondary school and sixth form located in the English town of Oxted, Surrey. It was opened in 1929 as the first mixed grammar school in Surrey and now has over 1900 pupils aged 11–18 (Years 7-13).
Pixham is a chapelry (small village) within the parish of Dorking, Surrey on the near side of the confluence of the River Mole and the Pipp Brook to its town, Dorking, which is centred 1 km (0.6 mi) south-west. The town as a whole, uniquely in Surrey, has three railway stations; Pixham adjoins or is the location of two of the three; and is near the junction of the A24 and A25 main roads.
Reigate School is a state secondary school in the town of Reigate, Surrey, England, for students from the ages of 11 till the age of 16. The current headteacher of the school is Mr Matt Alexander.
East Surrey Hospital is a National Health Service hospital in the Whitebushes area to the south of Redhill, in Surrey, England. It is managed by the Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust.
Goodwyns is a housing estate in Dorking, a market town in Surrey, England. It is on the return slope of one of two hillsides of the town and adjoins North Holmwood, a green-buffered village. The town centre is about 1.7 miles (2.7 km) away.
Lingfield Park Racecourse (commonly referred to as Lingfield) is a horse racing course at Lingfield in Surrey, United Kingdom. It is owned by the ARC Racing and Leisure Group, formerly Arena Leisure Plc.
Providence Chapel (founded as Charlwood Union Chapel) is a former Nonconformist place of worship in the village of Charlwood in the English county of Surrey. Founded in 1816 on the outskirts of the ancient village, it was associated with Independent Calvinists and Strict Baptists throughout nearly two centuries of religious use. The "startling" wooden building—remarkably un-English with its simple veranda-fronted style—had seen several years of service as an officers' mess at a nearby barracks. The chapel was put up for sale in 2012. English Heritage has listed it at Grade II* for its architectural and historical importance. It was also on that body's Heritage at Risk Register because of its poor structural condition, but repairs were carried out and in 2019 it was deemed no longer at risk.
Felbridge is a village and civil parish in the Tandridge district of Surrey with a playing field and Felbridge Nurseries within its focal area, narrowly in West Sussex. Felbridge village forms a contiguous settlement with East Grinstead and had 829 homes and households at the time of the 2011 Census. Domewood is part of Felbridge civil parish, which was created in 1953.
Redhill () is a town in the borough of Reigate and Banstead within the county of Surrey, England. The town, which adjoins the town of Reigate to the west, is due south of Croydon in Greater London, and is part of the London commuter belt. The town is also the post town, entertainment and commercial area of three adjoining communities: Merstham, Earlswood and Whitebushes, as well as of two small rural villages to the east in the Tandridge District, Bletchingley and Nutfield.
Dorking railway station is one of three stations that serve the town of Dorking in Surrey, England. It is 22 miles 8 chains (35.6 km) down the line from London Waterloo. It is within walking distance of Dorking Deepdene station and interchange on a through ticket is permitted. Dorking West and Dorking Deepdene are on the North Downs Line.
Betchworth railway station serves the village of Betchworth in Surrey, England. It is on the North Downs Line, 27 miles 17 chains (43.79 km) measured from London Charing Cross via Redhill. All trains serving it are operated by Great Western Railway.
Holmwood railway station serves the villages of Beare Green and South Holmwood in Surrey, England, on the Sutton and Mole Valley Lines between Dorking and Horsham, 27 miles 5 chains (43.6 km) from London Waterloo.
Reigate and Banstead is a local government district with borough status in east Surrey, England. It includes the towns of Reigate, Redhill, Horley and Banstead. The borough borders the Borough of Crawley (in West Sussex) to the south, the Borough of Epsom and Ewell and District of Mole Valley to the west, Tandridge District to the east and the London Boroughs of Sutton and Croydon to the north.
Horley Town Football Club is a football club based in Horley, Surrey, England. They are currently members of the Southern Combination Premier Division and play at the New Defence.
Friday Street is a hamlet on the gentle lower north slope of Leith Hill in Surrey, England. It is in a wooded headwater ravine, just to the south of Wotton and the A25, a single rather than dual carriageway road, running between Guildford to the west and Dorking to the east. It is part of the Surrey Hills AONB.
Gatton is a former village and borough in Surrey, England, and an ancient parish. It survives as a sparsely populated, predominantly rural locality, which includes Gatton Park, no more than 12 houses, and two farms on the slopes of the North Downs near Reigate.
The Greensand Way is a long-distance path of 108 miles (174 km) in southeast England, from Haslemere in Surrey to Hamstreet in Kent. It follows the Greensand Ridge along the Surrey Hills and Chart Hills. The route is mostly rural, passing through woods, and alongside fruit orchards and hop farms in Kent and links with the Stour Valley Walk near Pluckley in Kent. The trail was opened on 15 June 1980 and is jointly managed by Surrey and Kent Councils who fully updated it in 2012 (route, waymarking, online guide).
Haxted Watermill is a much-restored Grade II listed watermill in Surrey, England, close to the border with Kent, and is powered by the River Eden.
Saint Bede's School is a mixed comprehensive secondary school in the English town of Redhill, Surrey. In the most recent Ofsted inspection, the school was graded as "outstanding" in all areas. It now has over 1700 male and female pupils aged 11–18 (Years 7–13), with around 330 students in the sixth form. Classes have an average of 28 pupils. The latest Ofsted report listed in the references provides further background information about the school, as does the school website.
St John's is a hamlet on the fringes of Redhill, Surrey. The small elevated residential community occupies a conservation area circled by Earlswood and wooded Redhill Common which is connected along two low to mid rise streets with typically woodland-style gardens to Reigate. St John's is in its wider definition one of the three ecclesiastical parishes that make up Redhill. The area around St John's School and Church had very small beginnings but at one time grew so rapidly it was thought that it was the nucleus of a new town.
Starborough Castle, known historically as Sterborough Castle, is a Neo-Gothic garden house of dressed sandstone near the eastern boundary of Surrey, built in 1754 by Sir James Burrow. It occupies the north-eastern portion of an artificial island south of the River Eden, roughly 3 km (2 mi) to the south-west of Edenbridge. It is a Grade II* listed building and scheduled monument, and was built on the site of the first castle, a medieval fortified house built c. 1341.
The Ashcombe School is a coeducational secondary school and sixth form located in Dorking in the English county of Surrey.
The Priory (C of E Aided) School, Dorking is a voluntary-aided Church of England school for pupils aged 11–18, in Dorking, Surrey. The school opened 1996 on the site of the former Sondes Place School and it takes its name from the land on which it is situated which once belonged to Lewes Priory and was later transferred to Reigate Priory. The school is situated in the parish of St Martin's Church, Dorking and forms part of the Diocese of Guildford. The current Headteacher is Mrs J Trimnell.
The Royal Alexandra and Albert School is an all-through co-educational boarding school in Reigate, Surrey. The headmaster as of 2016 was Mark Dixon. The Royal Alexandra and Albert School Act, of 1949, united The Royal Alexandra School, which was founded in 1758, and The Royal Albert orphan School, which was founded in 1864 as a national memorial to Prince Albert, late husband of Queen Victoria. It is one of 36 state-maintained boarding schools in England and Wales, and one of the few state schools in the United Kingdom to educate children from primary school years to sixth form.
Westcott is a semi-rural English village and former civil parish 1.5 miles (2.4 km) west of the centre of Dorking on the A25 between the North Downs and Greensand Ridge, making it one of the 'Vale of Holmesdale' villages (greatly in Westcott an AONB) and is in Surrey in the direction of Guildford. It is served by a local bus service and is 1 mile (1.6 km) from Dorking West railway station on the North Downs Line.
Westhumble is a village in south east England, approximately 2 km (1.2 mi) north of Dorking, Surrey. The village is not part of a civil parish, however the majority of the settlement is in the ecclesiastical Parish of Mickleham.
The Hawthorns School is an independent preparatory school for boys and girls aged 2 years to 13 years in Bletchingley, Surrey, England.
All Saints Church is a Roman Catholic Parish church in Oxted, Surrey. Building work on the church started in 1913 and was delayed by World War One. Aspects of the church interior were designed by Geoffrey Webb. It is situated off Chichele Road north of the town centre, to the west of Oxted School. It is a Grade II listed building.
The British Wildlife Centre is a zoo in the hamlet of Newchapel near Lingfield village in the county of Surrey, South East England.
Hartsfield Manor is an early Victorian house of historical significance located in Betchworth, Surrey, England. It was built in the 1860s as a private residence and served this purpose for several notable people until World War II. After this it became a hotel and then a training centre. It is now a venue for special events such as conferences and weddings.
Broome Hall is a grade II-listed country house with grounds including cottages and outhouses on the wooded, upper southern slopes of the Greensand Ridge near Coldharbour in Surrey, England.
Greathed Manor, Dormansland, Surrey, is a Victorian country house. It was designed in 1862-8 by the architect Robert Kerr. It is a Grade II listed building.
Nutfield Priory is a Grade II listed country house in Nutfield, Surrey. It was constructed between 1872 and 1874 by John Gibson. It is now a hotel and health spa.
Chiddingfold is a village and civil parish in the Weald in the Waverley district of Surrey, England. It lies on the A283 road between Milford and Petworth. The parish includes the hamlets of Ansteadbrook, High Street Green and Combe Common.
Bramley is a village and civil parish about three miles (5 km) south of Guildford in the Borough of Waverley in Surrey, south east England. Most of the parish lies in the Surrey Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
Christ's College is a Church of England secondary school and sixth form located in Guildford, Surrey, England, in the Bellfields neighbourhood.
The Church of St. Peter and St. Paul is a parish church of the Church of England in Godalming, Surrey. The parish is mostly urban and excludes rural outskirts, it includes another church, St Mark's, in which the joint clergy provide less formal and family services.
Compton is a former village and today a semi-rural suburb centred 1 mile (1.6 km) ESE of Farnham in the Waverley district of Surrey, England and connected to Farnham by two direct urban single carriageways and green space footpaths along the Wey (North Branch) which in part marks the northern boundary of the area together with the A31. The area relies on Farnham for most of its modern amenities and its eastern part is rural whereas its western part is urban, with a divide where the Wey flows between the two south-eastwards.
Thursley is a village and civil parish in southwest Surrey, west of the A3 between Milford and Hindhead. An associated hamlet is Bowlhead Green. To the east is Brook. In the south of the parish rises the Greensand Ridge, in this section reaching its escarpment near Punch Bowl Farm and the Devil's Punch Bowl, Hindhead.
The Crafts Study Centre is a university museum of modern crafts, located next to the entrance of the University for the Creative Arts at Farnham, Surrey.
Dapdune Wharf is a former wharf on the Wey and Godalming Navigations in Guildford, England, UK, close to the Surrey County Cricket Club ground. It is now maintained by the National Trust.
The Devil's Jumps are a series of three small hills near the village of Churt in the county of Surrey in southern England. In the 18th century, the hills were known as the Devil's Three Jumps. The Devil's Jumps are linked to a body of folklore relating to the surrounding area. The highest of the three Jumps is Stony Jump. Middle Devil's Jump measures 60 feet (18 m) high and once supported an observatory built by 19th century British astronomer Richard Christopher Carrington.
Dippenhall is a rural hamlet in the civil parish of Crondall in the Waverley district of Surrey, England. Its post town and other administrative grouping is with Farnham, which lies approximately 1.6 miles (2.6 km) east from the village.
Dockenfield is a linear settlement and rural civil parish in the borough of Waverley in Surrey, England. The parish is undulating, has a number of sources of the River Wey and borders the Alice Holt Forest.
Farnham Town Football Club is a semi-professional football club based in Farnham, Surrey, England. They are currently members of the Combined Counties League Division One and play at the Memorial Ground.
Edgeborough School is a prep school in Farnham, Surrey in England, which provides education for 350 students aged between 2 and 13. The school occupies the 1880s-built Frensham Place with many additions and became co-educational in 1992. The Headmaster is Daniel Thornburn, former Head of St Petroc's School, Bude.
The Electric Theatre is a theatre located in Guildford, Surrey, England, which has gained a widespread reputation for promotion of the musical arts at all levels from community workshops to concerts by internationally well-known artists.
Ewhurst is a rural village and civil parish in the borough of Waverley in Surrey, England. It is located 8.3 miles (13.4 km) south-east of Guildford, 2 miles (3.2 km) east of Cranleigh and 4.5 miles (7.2 km) south of Shere.
Fairlands is the largest settlement (neighbourhood) of Worplesdon, a village with a civil parish council in the Borough of Guildford, Surrey, England. The neighbourhood is centred 2.6 miles (4.2 km) north-west of Guildford, to which it is linked by a relatively straight road. The arbitrary centre of Worplesdon, a linear settlement, its church, is 1.2 miles (1.9 km) north-east.
Farley Green is a small hamlet of Albury in the Greensand Ridge where it forms the south of the Surrey Hills AONB, to the south east of Guildford.
Farncombe railway station opened in 1897 as a minor stop on the Portsmouth Direct Line between Guildford and Godalming, England. It is said to have been built at the instigation of General Sir Frederick Marshall, a director of the London and South Western Railway Company, who lived nearby at Broadwater.
Peper Harow is a rural village and civil parish in south-west Surrey close to the town of Godalming. It was a noted early cricket venue. Its easternmost fields are in part given up to the A3 trunk road.
Pewley Hill is a hill, and a street so named, near Guildford in England. It links to the open space at Pewley Down and was used as the site of a semaphore station and a defensive fort in the nineteenth century. In the late 19th and early 20th centuries much of the land was built upon.
Prior's Field is an independent girls' boarding and day school in Guildford, Surrey in the south-east of England. It is set in 42 acres of parkland, 34 miles south-west of London and adjacent to the A3, which runs between the capital and the south coast.
Silent Pool is a spring-fed lake at the foot of the North Downs, about 6.5 kilometres (4 mi) east of Guildford in Surrey. It is managed together with the nearby Newlands Corner by the Surrey Wildlife Trust, within the privately owned Albury Estate. The outflow from Silent Pool runs into a second, adjacent, lake, Sherbourne Pond, created in the mid-seventeenth century. In turn the outflow from the Sherbourne Pond feeds the Sherbourne Brook, a tributary of the Tilling Bourne.
Rowledge is a village in England on the Surrey–Hampshire border, centred south of the A31 and Farnham. Neighbouring villages include Wrecclesham, Spreakley and Frensham. To the south west of the village is the Alice Holt Forest; to the west is Birdworld. It is in the Waverley Ward of Farnham, Wrecclesham and Rowledge.
The Royal Grammar School, Guildford (originally 'The Free School'), commonly known as the RGS, is a selective independent day school for boys in Guildford, Surrey in England. The school dates its founding to the death of Robert Beckingham in 1509 who left provision in his will to 'make a free scole at the Towne of Guldford'; in 1512 a governing body was set up to form the school. The school moved to the present site in the upper High Street after the granting of a royal charter from King Edward VI in 1552. Around that time, its pupils were playing cricket and their activity was later documented as the earliest definite reference to the sport. The school's Old Building, constructed between 1557 and 1586, is the home of a rare example of a chained library. It was established on the death of John Parkhurst, Bishop of Norwich, in 1575. Although defined as a 'free' school, the first statutes of governance, approved in 1608, saw the introduction of school fees, at the rate of 4 shillings per annum, along with the school's first admissions test. During the late 19th century the school ran into financial difficulty, which nearly resulted in its closure. A number of rescue options were explored, including amalgamation with Archbishop Abbott's School. Funds were eventually raised, however, which allowed the school to remain open, although boarding was no longer offered.
The Royal Surrey County Hospital (RSCH) is a 520-bed District General Hospital, located on the fringe of Guildford, run by the Royal Surrey NHS Foundation Trust.
The Rural Life Living Museum is in Tilford, Surrey near Farnham in southern England. It is a museum of country life originally assembled by Mr and Mrs Henry Jackson and is run by a charitable trust. It covers over 10 acres (40,000 m2) of field, woodland and barns, and comprises many implements and devices marking over 150 years of farming. There is also an arboretum with over one hundred species of trees.
Sandhills is a small hamlet located between the villages of Wormley and Brook in Surrey, UK. It is part of the Surrey Hills Area of Outstanding Beauty and situated on the Green Sand Way.
The Serpent Trail is a 64-mile (103 km) long distance footpath. It runs from Haslemere to Petersfield, which are 11 miles apart in a straight line, by a route which is designed to join up the many heathland areas on greensand in the western Weald. The path takes its name both from its serpentine shape and from passing through habitat of all three British species of snake (adder, grass snake and smooth snake).
South Farnham School is a coeducational academy in Farnham, Surrey, England. It is located on two separate sites, with the Infants Section for children aged 4–7 at The Bourne site (formerly the Bourne Infants School) in the Lower Bourne, and the Junior Section for children aged 7–11 at the main school site at Menin Way.
The Sports Ground, Woodbridge Road is a cricket ground in Guildford, Surrey. The ground was given to the town in trust in 1911 by Sir Harry Waechter, Bart. Guildford Cricket Club play their home matches on the ground. Surrey CCC play at least one County Championship match there each season, as well as some second XI and Surrey Stars fixtures. Until comparatively recently, hockey was played on the ground in winter. The ground was also used for football until at least 1921. It was the home ground of the amateur team Guildford F.C. who existed until 1953 (not to be confused with the professional Guildford City team who played at Josephs Road) and was also used as the venue for some Surrey Senior Cup finals.
St Martha's Hill is a landmark in St Martha in Surrey, England between the town of Guildford and village of Chilworth. It is the 18th highest hill in the county and on the Greensand Ridge, in this case at the closest point to the North Downs, commencing to the immediate north at the Guildown-Merrow Down in the parishes of Guildford and Merrow. The top of the hill provides a semi-panorama of Newland's Corner also in the Surrey Hills AONB. Its church is the main amenity of the small parish extending to the south into the streets of Chilworth, with some medieval stone incorporations from a 12th-century predecessor (rebuilt 1848-1850 by Henry Woodyer) and is a wedding venue mainly to outside the sparsely populated parish.
St Andrew's Church is an Anglican parish church in the centre of Farnham, Surrey. It is a Grade I listed building and surviving parts of the structure date back to the Middle Ages. It in the archdeaconry of Surrey, in the Diocese of Guildford. The churchyard contains the grave of William Cobbett and there is a memorial to Augustus Toplady.
St Catherine's School is an independent girls' school in the village of Bramley, near Guildford, Surrey, England. The school is divided into a senior school, for ages 11–18, and a preparatory school for girls aged 4–11.
St. Dominic's School in Hambledon, Surrey, England is a co-educational weekly boarding and day school, one of the oldest special schools in the United Kingdom. It specialises in the education of children with various disabilities, such as autism whilst integrating specialised support, including an onsite speech and language, Occupational and physio therapy team. While currently independent, it is supported by local government funding as a centre of excellence in an area of disability for which public funding is to a certain extent is variously provided throughout the country. Currently pupils are admitted from over 35 different LEAs. It admits and educates pupils ages 8–19.
St Edmund's School is a coeducational nursery, pre-prep, preparatory and Senior school located in the village of Hindhead, around 10.5 miles south-west from the town of Guildford, in Surrey. It was founded in Hunstanton, Norfolk, in 1874.
St Martha is a hillside, largely wooded, small civil parish in the Guildford borough of Surrey towards the narrower part of the west half of the North Downs. It includes three homes north of St Martha's Hill, a southern knoll of the range of hills but almost all its population is south of this, in much of the village: Chilworth which is divided between it and Shalford parish. This results in an overlapping of areas where it is wished to consider the village of Chilworth (being hereto-before considered a hamlet). Chilworth gunpowder works mark the southern border of the entity, and are a well-preserved, publicly accessible area of bourne-side former industry, which helped to provide much of Surrey's contribution toward the gunpowder for many years of the British Empire.
St Peter's Church is an active Anglican Parish church in Wrecclesham, a village outside Farnham in Surrey. It is in the deanery of Farnham, the archdeaconry of Surrey and the Diocese of Guildford. The church was consecrated in 1840 and is a Grade II listed building.
St Teresa's Effingham is a selective, independent boarding and day school for girls aged 2–18 in Effingham, Surrey, England, established in 1928. It is a member of the Girls' Schools Association.
Stoke Park is a large area of parkland on the edge of the town centre of Guildford, Surrey, England donated to Guildford by the Lord Onslow in 1925 with the express wish that it "remain for all time a lung of the town". Between London Road and Parkway, two of the four arterial roads to the A3, Stoke Park is the largest park within the town signed area of Guildford. It is also a Green Flag award winning park. The park and its woodland have remained more or less intact since they were laid out in the 18th-century. Then, there was the manor house which owned slightly more land remaining from the manor of Stoke-next-Guildford, complete with walled garden and icehouse.
The Surrey Research Park is a large research park in Guildford, Surrey. The Surrey Research Park has been planned, developed, funded and managed by the University of Surrey which operates the park as a wholly owned University Enterprise Unit.
The Burys at Godalming, Surrey was used as the venue for nine first-class cricket matches between 1821 and 1830. It was used by the Godalming Cricket Club for all of its home matches and also by Surrey teams.
Tormead School is an independent day school for girls aged 4–18 years old in Guildford, Surrey, England. It comprises a junior school, senior school and sixth form.
Watts Gallery – Artists' Village is an art gallery in the village of Compton, near Guildford in Surrey. It is dedicated to the work of the Victorian-era painter and sculptor George Frederic Watts.
The Watts Cemetery Chapel or Watts Mortuary Chapel is a chapel in an Art Nouveau version of Celtic Revival style in the village cemetery of Compton in Surrey. While the overall architectural structure is loosely Romanesque Revival, in the absence of any appropriate Celtic models, the lavish decoration in terracotta relief carving and paintings is Celtic Revival, here seen on an unusually large scale. According to the local council, it is "a unique concoction of art nouveau, Celtic, Romanesque and Egyptian influence with Mary's own original style". Other responses have been less positive. Ian Nairn, in the 1971 Surrey volume of the Buildings of England series, described the interior as "one of the most soporific rooms in England" and regretted "the intolerable torpor and weariness of the motifs". It is a Grade I listed building.
Weydon School is a secondary academy school located in Weydon Lane, Wrecclesham, Farnham, Surrey, England. It is the lead school of the Weydon Multi Academy Trust.
Whitmoor Common is a 166-hectare (410-acre) biological Site of Special Scientific Interest on the northern outskirts of Guildford in Surrey. It is part of the Thames Basin Heaths Special Protection Area and the 184.9-hectare (457-acre) Whitmoor and Rickford Commons Local Nature Reserve, which is owned by Surrey County Council and managed by the Surrey Wildlife Trust.
Winkworth Arboretum is a National Trust-owned arboretum in the spread-out civil parish of Busbridge between Godalming and Hascombe, south-west Surrey, England.
Wood Street Village is a clustered and linear village in Surrey, England with a village green, buffered by Metropolitan Green Belt on all sides. It is centred 3 miles (4.8 km) west of Guildford and is part of the civil parish of Worplesdon (where the 2011 Census population was included), as well as continuing to be served semi-dependently as a chapelry of the Church of England.
Woolmer Hill School, formerly Woolmer Hill Technology College, is the main secondary school in the area of Haslemere, Surrey.
Wormley is a village in Surrey, England in the parish of Witley, around Witley station, off the A283 Petworth Road about 5 km (3.1 mi) SSW of Godalming.
Tigbourne Court is an Arts and Crafts style country house in Wormley, Surrey, England, 1 mile (1.6 km) south of Witley. It was designed by architect Edwin Lutyens, using a mixture of 17th-century style vernacular architecture and classical elements, and has been called "probably his best" building, for its architectural geometry, wit and texture. It was completed in 1901. English Heritage have designated it a Grade I listed building.
Beacon Hill, while ecumenically and administratively part of Hindhead, Surrey, is a discrete settlement with its own history, amenities and character.
St John's Seminary in Wonersh, Guildford, in the Roman Catholic Diocese of Arundel and Brighton, United Kingdom, is the principal seminary for the Archdiocese of Southwark, and the Diocese of Arundel and Brighton. Other dioceses also make use of it to a greater or lesser extent, including Diocese of Plymouth, Portsmouth, East Anglia, Clifton, Menevia, the Archdiocese of Cardiff and the newly founded Ordinariate of Our Lady of Walsingham.
Haslemere Educational Museum was founded in 1888 by the eminent surgeon Sir Jonathan Hutchinson to display his growing collection of natural history specimens. After two moves it found in 1926 a permanent home in Haslemere High Street, in the town of Haslemere, Surrey, England.
St Peter's Catholic School, colloquially known as St Peter's, is a comprehensive secondary school in Guildford, Surrey, England. St Peter's receives Surrey County Council funding and is eligible for educational grants, parent-teacher association funding and the Diocesan funding, having approved voluntary aided status.
Chilworth Manor is a historic country house located midway between Chilworth, Surrey and St Martha's Hill to the north. The manor is grade II listed by Historic England.
Farnham Road Hospital is a mental health hospital in Guildford, Surrey. It is managed by Surrey and Borders Partnership NHS Foundation Trust. The main building is a Grade II listed building.
Caesar's Camp is an Iron Age hill fort straddling the border of the counties of Surrey and Hampshire in southern England. The fort straddles the borough of Waverley in Surrey and the borough of Rushmoor and the district of Hart, both in Hampshire. Caesar's Camp is a Scheduled Ancient Monument with a list entry identification number of 1007895. It lies approximately 3 kilometres (1.9 mi) north of the town of Farnham, and a similar distance west of Aldershot. The hillfort lies entirely within the Bourley and Long Valley Site of Special Scientific Interest. Caesar's Camp is a multivallate hillfort, a fort with multiple defensive rings, occupying an irregular promontory, with an entrance on the south side. The site has been much disturbed by military activity, especially at the southeast corner. The remains of the hillfort are considered to be of national importance.
St James's Church stands on Abinger Lane in Abinger Common, a small village within the civil parish of Abinger in Surrey, south-eastern England. The church was built in the early 12th century and then rebuilt around 1220, and is today a grade II* listed building.
Church Hill House is a grade II* listed house in Tanners Lane, Haslemere, Surrey. Parts of the walls are grade II listed as well as the adjoining Church Hill Gate.
All Hallows Catholic School is a mixed, voluntary-aided comprehensive secondary school and Sixth Form in Weybourne, Farnham, Surrey, England. The school offers many courses including A-level and BTEC business. The most recent Ofsted overall rating placed the school in the top category, outstanding.
Amesbury School is a co-educational independent prep school in the Hindhead/Haslemere area of Surrey, England, educating pupils between the ages of 2 and 13. It was founded in 1870. The Grade II*-listed main building was designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens and stands on a 34-acre (140,000 m2) estate. The Head is Jonathan Whybrow.
Ash Manor School is a comprehensive, community secondary school located in Manor Road, Ash, Surrey, England. Opened as Yeoman's Bridge School in 1948. The school was formed after a merger between two schools Yeomans Bridge and Robert Haining in 1986. There are 937 students.
Ash Vale is a village in the borough of Guildford in Surrey, England and the larger, northern settlement of the civil parish of Ash. It is 7 miles (11 km) from Guildford but is closer to the Hampshire towns of Aldershot and Farnborough, the centres of which are each about two miles (4 km) away, immediately across the two crossings of the River Blackwater, to the southwest and northwest.
Shalford is a village and civil parish in Surrey, England on the A281 Horsham road immediately south of Guildford. It has a railway station which is between Guildford and Dorking on the Reading to Gatwick Airport line.
Badshot Lea is a geographically small village NE of Farnham, Surrey, England, and close to Aldershot. Badshot Lea has access in either direction to the A31 and A331 and is connected to railway stations in the nearby towns with regular bus services. The village is part of the Blackwater Valley or Aldershot Urban Area, the thirtieth largest conurbation in the UK. Badshot Lea's boundaries are four bridges—three western railway bridges and Pea Bridge over the uppermost part of the River Blackwater— these inspired a logo for the village and the football team who play in the larger neighbouring village of Ash. The Blackwater separates Badshot Lea from Aldershot to the north; the eastern and western boundaries are short and the southern boundary is the A331.
Belmont is an independent co-educational school in Surrey which takes pupils from the ages of 2 to 16. The school is a charitable trust, administered by an independent Board of Governors.
The Blackwater Valley Path follows the River Blackwater from its source in the Rowhill Nature Reserve in Aldershot to just beyond the point where it joins the River Whitewater near Swallowfield to become the Broadwater. This long-distance route covers 23 miles (37 km) and closely follows the River Blackwater using public rights-of-way as well as permissive footpaths and is waymarked. It is looked after by the Blackwater Valley Countryside Partnership.
Guildford High School is an independent day school for girls founded in 1888. Around one thousand girls, age 4 to 18, from Guildford and its surrounding towns and villages, attend the school. Guildford High School comprises a Junior School, Senior School and Sixth Form.