Latest matcher run: Thu, 16 May 2019 07:05
160 candidates found (107 with multiple matches)
Language order preference. edit
Kenilworth Park & Aquatic Gardens is a National Park Service site located in the north eastern corner of Washington, D.C., and the Maryland state border. Nestled near the banks of the Anacostia River and directly west of the Baltimore–Washington Parkway, Kenilworth Park & Aquatic Gardens preserves a plethora of rare waterlilies and lotuses in the cultivated ponds near the river. The park also contains the Kenilworth Marsh, the only remaining tidal marsh in Washington, D.C. and an adjacent recreational area.
The Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars (or Wilson Center), located in Washington, D.C., is a United States Presidential Memorial that was established as part of the Smithsonian Institution by an act of Congress in 1968. It is also a highly recognized think tank, ranked among the top ten in the world.
North Portal Estates is an affluent residential neighborhood in Washington, D.C. that forms the northernmost corner of the District of Columbia. North Portal Estates is bounded by North Portal Drive to the south, East Beach Drive to the west and northwest, and Rock Creek Park to the northeast. It is not set on any major thoroughfare in the city, although North Portal Drive is accessible via a rotary intersection on 16th Street NW.
Petworth is a residential neighborhood in the Northwest quadrant of Washington, D.C. It is bounded to the east by the Armed Forces Retirement Home and Rock Creek Cemetery, to the west by Arkansas Avenue NW, to the south by Rock Creek Church Road NW and Spring Road NW, and to the north by Kennedy Street NW.
Randle Highlands is a neighborhood in Southeast Washington, D.C., east of the Anacostia River.
River Terrace is an urban cul-de-sac neighborhood in Northeast Washington, D.C., on the eastern bank of the Anacostia River. River Terrace is Washington, DC's only planned unit development that has an unimpeded connection to and relationship with the Anacostia River.
The Southwest Waterfront is a mostly residential neighborhood in Southwest Washington, D.C. The Southwest quadrant is the smallest of Washington's four quadrants, and the Southwest Waterfront is one of only two residential neighborhoods in the quadrant; the other is Bellevue, which, being east of the Anacostia River, is frequently, if mistakenly, regarded as being in Southeast. For that reason many residents of Southwest Waterfront will simply refer to themselves as living in "Southwest."
Spring Valley is a neighborhood in northwest, Washington, D.C., known for its large homes and tree-lined streets and more recently for being a military superfund site of former Camp Leach. It houses most of the main campus of American University, which gives its name to the neighborhood to Spring Valley's northeast, American University Park.
Tenleytown is a historic neighborhood in Northwest, Washington, D.C.
Truxton Circle is a neighborhood of Northwest Washington, D.C., bordered by New Jersey Avenue to the west, Florida Avenue to the north, New York Avenue to the south, and North Capitol Street to the east. Politically, it is in Ward 5. It is bordered on the north by Bloomingdale and LeDroit Park, to the east by Eckington, to the west by Shaw and Mt. Vernon Square Historic District, and the south by NoMa. Named for the Thomas Truxtun traffic circle, which at the intersection of North Capitol Street and Florida Avenue, which was demolished in 1947. It was part of the Shaw School Urban Renewal Area, later known as the Shaw neighborhood.
Twining is a neighborhood in Southeast Washington, D.C., near the eastern bank of the Anacostia River. It is bounded by Minnesota Avenue NE to the northeast, Branch Avenue to the northwest, and Pennsylvania Avenue to the south. The Fort Dupont year-round ice skating rink, and the Smithsonian's Anacostia Neighborhood Museum are nearby. Also see article on Anacostia.
Washington Highlands is a residential neighborhood in Southeast Washington, D.C., in the United States. It lies within Ward 8, and is one of the poorest and most crime-ridden sections of the city. Most residents live in large public and low-income apartment complexes, although there are extensive tracts of single-family detached homes in the neighborhood.
The West End is a neighborhood in the Northwest quadrant of Washington, D.C., bounded by K Street NW to the south, Rock Creek Park to the west and north, and New Hampshire Avenue NW and 21st Street NW to the east. The West End is so named because it was the westernmost part of the original L'Enfant Plan for the city of Washington, before the annexation of Georgetown. It is home to the embassies of Qatar and Spain as well as the Delegation of the European Union to the United States. The George Washington University and George Washington University Hospital are on the edge of the West End, at Washington Circle.
Woodley Park is a neighborhood in Northwest, Washington, DC. It is bounded on the north by Woodley Road and Klingle Road, on the east by the National Zoo and Rock Creek Park, on the south by Calvert Street, on the southwest by Cleveland Avenue, and on the west by 34th Street.
NRHP reference number: 90000856
Woodridge is a residential neighborhood located in Ward 5 of Northeast Washington, D.C.. Woodridge is contained between Eastern Avenue N.E. to the east, Michigan Avenue N.E. to the north, South Dakota Avenue N.E. to the west, and Bladensburg Road N.E. to the south. Its central commercial strips are Rhode Island Avenue NE (Route 1) and Bladensburg Road N.E. Woodridge borders the adjacent neighborhoods of Brookland, Langdon, North Michigan Park, and Fort Lincoln in Northeast Washington D.C. In addition to these neighborhoods in the District of Columbia, Woodridge also borders the city of Mount Rainier and town of Cottage City in Maryland. In terms of public transportation, residents of Woodridge have access to the Brookland-CUA and Rhode Island Avenue Metro stations.
Penn Branch is a neighborhood in Southeast Washington, D.C., east of the Anacostia River. It is bounded by Pennsylvania Avenue SE to the south; Pope Branch Park and Pope Creek to the north; Branch Avenue to the west; and Fort Davis Park to the east. ‘Penn Branch’, takes its name from its location at the intersection of two major thoroughfares, Pennsylvania and Branch Avenue (the Washington continuation of Maryland Route 5).
Marshall Heights is a residential neighborhood in Southeast Washington, D.C. It is bounded by East Capitol Street, Central Avenue SE, Southern Avenue, Fitch Street SE, and Benning Road SE. It was an undeveloped rural area occupied by extensive African American shanty towns, but the neighborhood received nationwide attention after a visit by First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt in 1934, which led to extensive infrastructure improvements and development for the first time. In the 1950s, Marshall Heights residents defeated national legislation designed to raze and redevelop the neighborhood. Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom visited the area in 1991, at a time when Marshall Heights was in the throes of a violent crack cocaine epidemic. Limited redevelopment has occurred in the neighborhood, which was the site of two notorious child murders in 1973.
The Palisades, or simply Palisades, is a neighborhood in Washington, D.C., along the Potomac River, running roughly from the edge of the Georgetown University campus (at Foxhall Road) to the D.C.-Maryland boundary (near Dalecarlia Treatment Plant). MacArthur Boulevard (once called Conduit Road) is the main thoroughfare that passes through the Palisades.
Ward Circle is a traffic circle at the intersection of Nebraska and Massachusetts avenues in Northwest, Washington, D.C. The circle, totaling 30,243 sq ft (2,809.7 m2), is owned and administered by the National Park Service through its Rock Creek Park unit. The land on three sides of is the campus of American University, while the fourth is occupied by the Nebraska Avenue Complex, home of the headquarters of the Department of Homeland Security. The circle is centered around a statue of Maj. Gen. Artemas Ward, which was donated by Harvard University. Ward Circle was constructed for the sculpture.
Westmoreland Circle is a traffic circle straddling the border between the U.S. state of Maryland and Washington, D.C. The circle lies at the intersection of Western Avenue, Butterworth Place, Massachusetts Avenue, Dalecarlia Parkway, Wetherill Road, and Dalecarlia Drive. The grass area and trees within the interior of the circle are maintained by and under the jurisdiction of the National Park Service.
The Codman–Davis House is a four-story, red brick, 1906, classical revival house in Washington, D.C. at 2145 Decatur Place NW (in the Kalorama neighborhood). It was designed by Ogden Codman Jr. for his cousin, Martha Codman Karolik. It is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The house is the residence of the Thai ambassador.
NRHP reference number: 79003100
The Columbian College of Arts and Sciences (known as Columbian College or CCAS) is the college of liberal arts and sciences of the George Washington University, in Washington, D.C. The Columbian College is especially known for its programs in of political sciences, history, English, and economics in the United States.
The Harman Center for the Arts is a complex consisting of the Lansburgh Theatre (450 7th Street NW) and Sidney Harman Hall (SHH; at Sixth and F Streets NW) in downtown Washington, D.C., USA.
The Prince Hall Masonic Temple built in 1922 is an historic Prince Hall Masonic building located at 1000 U Street, NW in Washington, D.C. It is the headquarters of the Prince Hall Grand Lodge District of Columbia, and houses the MWPGM Roland D. Williams Center for Masonic Excellence It is part of the Greater U Street Historic District.
NRHP reference number: 83001418
Georgetown University School of Nursing & Health Studies (NHS) is one of the four undergraduate schools of Georgetown University. Founded in 1903 as the School of Nursing, it added three other health related majors in 1999 and appended its name to become the School of Nursing & Health Studies. The school has been at the forefront of education in the health care field, offering many programs unique to America's elite institutions. Offering undergraduate and graduate programs in the health sciences, graduates are prepared to enter the complex fields of medicine, law, health policy, and nursing. NHS is made up of the Department of Health Systems Administration, the Department of Human Science, the Department of International Health, and the Department of Nursing.
The Tivoli Theatre is a landmark building in the Columbia Heights neighborhood of Washington, D.C. on 14th Street and Park Road Northwest. Originally built as a movie theater, it currently (as of 2006) exhibits live stage productions as the home of the GALA Hispanic Theatre.
NRHP reference number: 85000716
The Uptown Theater, also known as The Uptown or AMC Loews Uptown 1, is a historic single-screen movie theater in the Cleveland Park neighborhood of Washington, D.C.
The Embassy of the United Republic of Tanzania in Washington, D.C. is the diplomatic mission of Tanzania in the United States. It is located at 1232 22nd Street NW in the West End neighborhood. The mission is also accredited to Mexico.
The Embassy of Micronesia in Washington, D.C. is the diplomatic mission of the Federated States of Micronesia to the United States. It is located at 1725 N Street, Northwest, Washington, D.C., in the Dupont Circle neighborhood.
Phase 1, also known as The Phase, was a lesbian bar and nightclub at 525 8th Street, Southeast in Washington, D.C. Located one block south of Pennsylvania Avenue, SE near Eastern Market in the Capitol Hill neighborhood, Phase 1 was the oldest continually operating lesbian bar in the United States and the oldest operating LGBT bar in Washington, D.C. until its closure in February, 2016.
The Joseph Beale House is a historic residence located at 2301 Massachusetts Avenue, Northwest, Washington, D.C., in the Embassy Row neighborhood. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places on May 8, 1973.
NRHP reference number: 73002073
Margaret Wetzel House is a historic home at 714 21st Street, Northwest, Washington, D.C., in the Foggy Bottom neighborhood.
NRHP reference number: 90001542
The Bohemian Caverns, founded in 1926, was a restaurant and jazz nightclub located on the NE Corner of the intersection of 11th Street and U Street NW in Washington, D.C..
The Lafayette Apartment Building is an historic structure located in the Shaw neighborhood in the Northwest Quadrant of Washington, D.C. George S. Cooper was the architect for this building, which was one of the earliest apartment buildings in Washington. Built in 1898 it incorporated elements of the Queen Anne style into an affordable middle-class development. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1994.
NRHP reference number: 94001044
The Lothrop Mansion, also known as the Alvin Mason Lothrop House, is an historic home, located at 2001 Connecticut Avenue, Northwest, Washington, D.C., in the Kalorama neighborhood.
NRHP reference number: 88001346; website: http://usa.ved.gov.ru/ru/
The Peirce Still House is an historic building located next to Rock Creek Park, at 2400 Tilden Street, Northwest, Washington, D.C.
NRHP reference number: 90001295
The Mary E. Switzer Memorial Building is a federally owned office building located at 330 C Street SW in Washington, D.C. in the United States. The Egyptian Revival structure was originally named the Railroad Retirement Board Building. It was designed by Charles Klauder and Louis A. Simon and completed on September 15, 1940. Although intended for the Railroad Retirement Board, its first occupant was to the United States Department of War. By Act of Congress, it was renamed the Mary E. Switzer Memorial Building on October 21, 1972, becoming the first federal building to be named for a woman.
NRHP reference number: 07000638
Springland, also known as the Dent House, is an historic house, located at 3550 Tilden Street, Northwest, Washington, D.C., in the Cleveland Park neighborhood.
NRHP reference number: 90001114
Tenleytown–AU is a rapid transit station on the Red Line of the Washington Metro in Washington, D.C. Located in the Upper Northwest neighborhood, it is the last station on the Red Line heading outbound wholly within the District of Columbia; the next stop, Friendship Heights, lies within both the District and the state of Maryland.
station code: A07
Ukrainian Catholic National Shrine of the Holy Family (Q7878442) more than one candidate found [show on map]
The Ukrainian Catholic National Shrine is a Catholic church located at 4250 Harewood Rd. NE, Washington, D. C., and a member of one of the sui juris Eastern Catholic churches in communion with the Bishop of Rome.
Warder Mansion (also known as Warder-Totten House) is an apartment complex at 2633 16th Street Northwest, in the Meridian Hill Park neighborhood of Washington, D.C. It is the only surviving building in the city designed by architect Henry Hobson Richardson. In an early example of preservation commitment, the building was saved from demolition in the 1920s by being disassembled and moved 1.5 miles (2.4 km) north of its original site. In the 1990s, the Warder-Totten House's prospects for survival again looked bleak, but the building was saved a second time.
NRHP reference number: 72001437
NRHP reference number: 07000448
Engine House No. 10 is a historic firehouse located at 1341 Maryland Ave., NE., Washington, D.C., in the Stanton Park neighborhood, just north of Capitol Hill.
NRHP reference number: 08001063
The Four Seasons Hotel Washington, D.C. is a luxury hotel located at 2800 Pennsylvania Avenue NW in Washington, D.C..
The General Oliver Otis Howard House, also known as Howard Hall, is a historic house, and the oldest surviving building on the campus of Howard University, in Washington, D.C. Built in 1867, it was the home of General Oliver Otis Howard, the university founder and its third president. The house was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1974. It faces Georgia Avenue NW, just north of Howard Place.
NRHP reference number: 74002163
Glen Hurst is a historic house, located at 4933 MacArthur Boulevard, Northwest, Washington, D.C., in the Palisades neighborhood.
NRHP reference number: 05000336
The Dupont Circle Hotel is a luxury boutique hotel overlooking Dupont Circle, in Washington, D.C. Before renovations in 2009, it was known as the Jurys Washington Hotel. Prior to that, it was known as the Dupont Plaza Hotel.
The Westin Washington, D.C. City Center is a high-rise hotel in the United States capital of Washington, D.C. It rises to 153 feet (47 m), featuring 14 floors.
The Embassy Suites Washington, D.C. is a Modernist hotel located at 1250 22nd Street NW in the West End neighborhood of Washington, D.C., in the United States. Part of the Embassy Suites Hotels chain of upscale hotels, the hotel is noted for its eight-story atrium, which contains tropical plants, a waterfall, and a lagoon.
The Dumbarton Oaks Park is a public park, located in the 3100 block of R Street, Northwest, Washington, D.C., in the Georgetown neighborhood. Access is via Lovers' Lane from R Street, east of 32nd Street. It is located near Dumbarton Oaks, Montrose Park, and Oak Hill Cemetery. It is part of the Georgetown Historic District.
NRHP reference number: 67000028
Fort Reno Park is a park in the Tenleytown neighborhood of Washington, D.C. The park contains the highest natural point in the District of Columbia. Fort Reno was also a location of the only Civil War battle to take place in the District of Columbia, at the Battle of Fort Stevens.
Payne's Cemetery was a 13-acre (53,000 m2) cemetery located in the Benning Ridge neighborhood of Washington, D.C., in the United States. It was founded in 1851 as a privately owned secular cemetery open to the public, but it primarily served the city's African American community. The cemetery was declared abandoned by the city in 1966. About 2,000 bodies at Payne's Cemetery were reinterred at National Harmony Memorial Park cemetery in Prince George's County, Maryland. Two public schools and a recreation center were constructed atop the cemetery in the late 1960s, during which time hundreds of corpses were unearthed and summarily disposed of.
Thomas P. O'Neill Jr. Federal Building (Q21028308) more than one candidate found [show on map]
The O'Neill House Office Building is an office building in Washington, D.C., that houses offices of both the House of Representatives and the Department of Health and Human Services. It is named after former United States Congressman from Massachusetts and Speaker of the United States House of Representatives Thomas P. "Tip" O'Neill Jr. and located at 200 C Street Southwest in the Southwest Federal Center district, at the foot of Capitol Hill.
The Marriner S. Eccles Federal Reserve Board Building houses the main offices of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System. It is located at 20th Street and Constitution Avenue, N.W., in Washington, D.C. The building, designed in the stripped classicism style, was designed by Paul Philippe Cret and completed in 1937. President Franklin Delano Roosevelt dedicated the building on October 20, 1937.
Gonzaga College High School, originally Washington Seminary, is a Jesuit high school for boys located in Washington, D.C. It is named in honor of St. Aloysius Gonzaga, an Italian saint from the 16th century. Gonzaga is the oldest boys' high school in the District of Columbia and also the oldest college in the original federal city of Washington.
St. Stephen and the Incarnation Episcopal Church (Q18705857) more than one candidate found [show on map]
St. Stephen and the Incarnation is an Episcopal parish in the Mount Pleasant neighborhood of Washington, D.C.. It was formed by the merger of St. Stephen's parish and the Church of the Incarnation. It is notable as the site of the second ordination of female priests in the Episcopal Church and the first public celebration of the Eucharist in the Episcopal Church by a female celebrant.
The Washington Channel is a channel that parallels the Potomac River in Washington, D.C. It is located between the Southwest Waterfront on the east side and East Potomac Park on the west side. The channel is two miles long, receives outflow from the Tidal Basin at its north end, and empties into the Anacostia River at Hains Point at its south end. The channel's depth ranges from 8.8 feet (2.7 m) to 23 feet (7.0 m).
The Washington City Canal (or simply the Canal as it was known in the city) operated from 1815 until the mid-1850s in Washington, D.C. The canal connected the Anacostia River, called the "Eastern Branch" at that time, to Tiber Creek, the Potomac River, and later the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal (C&O). The canal fell into disuse in the late 19th century and the city government covered over or filled in various sections in 1871.
The 11th Street Bridges are a complex of three bridges across the Anacostia River in Washington, D.C., United States. The bridges convey Interstate 695 across the Anacostia to its southern terminus at Interstate 295 and DC 295. The bridges also connect the neighborhood of Anacostia with the rest of the city of Washington.
The Chain Bridge is a viaduct which crosses the Potomac River at Little Falls in Washington, D.C. It carries close to 22,000 cars a day. It connects Washington with affluent sections of Arlington and Fairfax counties in Virginia. On the Washington side, the bridge connects with Canal Road. Left turns onto the Clara Barton Parkway from the Chain Bridge are prohibited, but the reverse is permitted. On the Virginia side, the bridge connects with State Route 123 (Chain Bridge Road), which provides access to the George Washington Memorial Parkway.
The Frederick Douglass Memorial Bridge (also known as the South Capitol Street Bridge) is a swing bridge that carries South Capitol Street over the Anacostia River in Washington, D.C. It was built in 1950 and named after abolitionist Frederick Douglass. In 2007, the bridge was used by 77,000 daily commuters.
Georgetown Visitation Preparatory School (Q5547064) more than one candidate found [show on map]
Georgetown Visitation Preparatory School is a private Roman Catholic college-preparatory school for girls located in the historic Washington, D.C. neighborhood of Georgetown. Founded in 1799 by the Order of the Visitation of Holy Mary (also known as the Visitation Sisters), it is one of the oldest continuously-operating school for girls in the country and the city as well as the oldest Catholic school for girls in the original Thirteen Colonies. It is located within the Archdiocese of Washington.
website: http://www.visi.org/; NRHP reference number: 90002146
The John Philip Sousa Bridge, also known as the Sousa Bridge and the Pennsylvania Avenue Bridge, is a continuous steel plate girder bridge that carries Pennsylvania Avenue SE across the Anacostia River in Washington, D.C., in the United States. The bridge is named for famous United States Marine Band conductor and composer John Philip Sousa, who grew up near the bridge's northwestern terminus.
The School of International Service (SIS) is American University's school of advanced international study, covering areas such as international politics, international communication, international development, international economic relations, peace and conflict resolution, global environmental politics, and U.S. foreign policy.
The George Washington University Graduate School of Education and Human Development (Q7736191) more than one candidate found [show on map]
The George Washington University Graduate School of Education and Human Development (abbreviated as GSEHD) is the professional graduate school of education of the George Washington University, in Washington, D.C. GSEHD is one of the most preeminent schools of education in the United States.
Washington Theological Union (WTU), a Roman Catholic graduate school of theology and seminary in Washington, D.C. in the United States, was founded in 1968, stopped accepting students in 2011, and suspended its operation in June 2015. Founded by religious communities of men for presbyteral (priestly) education, their vision expanded to include theological education for religious communities of women as well as deacons, lay men and women and members of other faith traditions from the United States and many foreign countries. It closed its doors because of financial difficulties, low enrollment, and declining vocations. It was housed in a building at 6896 Laurel St. NW.
Kingman Island (also known as Burnham Barrier) and Heritage Island are islands in Northeast and Southeast Washington, D.C., in the Anacostia River. Both islands are man-made, built from material dredged from the Anacostia River and completed in 1916. Kingman Island is bordered on the east by the Anacostia River, and on the west by 110-acre (45 ha) Kingman Lake. Heritage Island is surrounded by Kingman Lake. Both islands were federally owned property managed by the National Park Service until 1995. They are currently owned by the District of Columbia government, and managed by Living Classrooms National Capital Region. Kingman Island is bisected by Benning Road and the Ethel Kennedy Bridge, with the southern half of the island bisected again by East Capitol Street and the Whitney Young Memorial Bridge. As of 2010, Langston Golf Course occupied the northern half of Kingman Island, while the southern half of Kingman Island and all of Heritage Island remained largely undeveloped. Kingman Island, Kingman Lake and nearby Kingman Park are named after Brigadier General Dan Christie Kingman, the former head of the United States Army Corps of Engineers.
Fort Davis is a Civil War earthwork that was constructed for the defense of Washington. It is located in the Fort Davis (Washington, D.C.) neighborhood.
USGS GNIS ID: 528598
The Andrew W. Mellon Auditorium (originally named the Departmental Auditorium) is a 750-seat historic Neoclassical auditorium located at 1301 Constitution Avenue NW in Washington, D.C. The auditorium, which connects two wings of the William Jefferson Clinton Federal Building, is owned by the U.S. government but available for use by the public.
Cloverdale, also known as Pierce Shoemaker House, is an historic Colonial Revival home, located at 2600 and 2608 Tilden Street, Northwest, Washington, D.C., in the Forest Hills neighborhood. It is now known as the Education Office of the Chinese Embassy.
NRHP reference number: 90001115
Georgetown University Astronomical Observatory (Q5547051) OSM candidate matches multiple Wikidata items [show on map]
The Georgetown University Astronomical Observatory (also the Heyden Observatory and Francis J. Heyden Observatory) was founded in 1841 by Father James Curley of the Department of Physics at Georgetown College. Father Curley chose a site on the college grounds, planned the building, and supervised its construction to its completion in 1844. Costs were initially paid by Rev. Thomas Meredith Jenkins, S.J., and Rev. Charles H. Stonestreet, S.J., who were Georgetown professors at the time. The observatory was used in 1846 to determine the latitude and longitude of Washington, D.C., which Curley determined to be latitude 38°54′26N and longitude 5h8m18.29s (west of Greenwich).
NRHP reference number: 73002087
The Memorial Continental Hall in Washington, D.C. is the national headquarters of the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR). It is located at 1776 D Street NW, sharing a city block with the DAR's Administration Building was built in 1920, and Constitution Hall. Completed in 1910, it is the oldest of the three buildings. It was the site of the 1922 Washington Naval Conference, a major diplomatic event in the aftermath of World War I. The building was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1972.
USGS GNIS ID: 2457510; NRHP reference number: 72001427
Meridian Hall is an historic house in the Columbia Heights neighborhood of Washington, D.C.. It has been listed on the District of Columbia Inventory of Historic Sites since 1990 and it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1991 as the Mansion at 2401 15th Street, NW.
NRHP reference number: 90002147
The Wetzell-Archbold Farmstead is an historic stone and log farmhouse, located at 4437 Reservoir Road, Northwest, Washington, D.C., in the Foxhall neighborhood.
NRHP reference number: 91000395
The World Bank (French: Banque mondiale) is an international financial institution that provides interest-free loans and grants to the governments of poorer countries for the purpose of pursuing capital projects. It comprises two institutions: the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD), and the International Development Association (IDA). The World Bank is a component of the World Bank Group.
website: http://www.worldbank.org/, https://data.worldbank.org/, https://www.banquemondiale.org/, https://donnees.banquemondiale.org/, https://www.albankaldawli.org
Georgetown University is a private research university in the Georgetown neighborhood of Washington, D.C. Founded in 1789 as Georgetown College, the university has grown to comprise nine undergraduate and graduate schools, among which are the School of Foreign Service, School of Business, Medical School, and Law School. Located on a hill above the Potomac River, the school's main campus is identifiable by its flagship Healy Hall, a National Historic Landmark. Georgetown offers degree programs in forty-eight disciplines, enrolling an average of 7,500 undergraduate and 10,000 post-graduate students from more than 135 countries.
website: http://www.georgetown.edu; USGS GNIS ID: 531568
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) is a governmental body of the United States with powers to regulate all aspects of civil aviation in that nation as well as over its surrounding international waters. Its powers include the construction and operation of airports, air traffic management, the certification of personnel and aircraft, and the protection of U.S. assets during the launch or re-entry of commercial space vehicles. Powers over neighboring international waters were delegated to the FAA by authority of the International Civil Aviation Organization.
The Anacostia River is a river in the Mid Atlantic region of the United States. It flows from Prince George's County in Maryland into Washington, D.C., where it joins with the Washington Channel to empty into the Potomac River at Buzzard Point. It is approximately 8.7 miles (14.0 km) long. The name "Anacostia" derives from the area's early history as Nacotchtank, a settlement of Necostan or Anacostan Native Americans on the banks of the Anacostia River.
USGS GNIS ID: 532032
The Willard InterContinental Washington, commonly known as the Willard Hotel, is a historic luxury Beaux-Arts hotel located at 1401 Pennsylvania Avenue NW in Washington, D.C. Among its facilities are numerous luxurious guest rooms, several restaurants, the famed Round Robin Bar, the Peacock Alley series of luxury shops, and voluminous function rooms. Owned by InterContinental Hotels & Resorts, it is two blocks east of the White House, and two blocks west of the Metro Center station of the Washington Metro Room rates range from $425 to $8,000 per night.
NRHP reference number: 74002177; website: http://washington.intercontinental.com/
Heurich House Museum, also known as the Christian Heurich Mansion or Brewmaster's Castle, is a Gilded Age mansion in the Dupont Circle neighborhood of Washington D.C.
NRHP reference number: 69000296
The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) is the revenue service of the United States federal government. The government agency is a bureau of the Department of the Treasury, and is under the immediate direction of the Commissioner of Internal Revenue, who is appointed to a five-year term by the President of the United States. The IRS is responsible for collecting taxes and administering the Internal Revenue Code, the main body of federal statutory tax law of the United States. The duties of the IRS include providing tax assistance to taxpayers and pursuing and resolving instances of erroneous or fraudulent tax filings. The IRS has also overseen various benefits programs, and enforces portions of the Affordable Care Act.
website: http://www.irs.gov, https://www.irs.gov/Russian
DAR Constitution Hall is a concert hall located at 1776 D Street NW, near the White House in Washington, D.C. It was built in 1929 by the Daughters of the American Revolution to house its annual convention when membership delegations outgrew Memorial Continental Hall. Later, the two buildings were connected by a third structure housing the DAR Museum, administrative offices, and genealogical library. DAR Constitution Hall is still owned and operated by the National Society of Daughters of the American Revolution. It was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1985. It has been a major cultural center of the city since its construction, and houses its largest auditorium.
NRHP reference number: 85002724
Dumbarton Oaks is a historic estate in the Georgetown neighborhood of Washington, D.C. It was the residence and garden of Robert Woods Bliss (1875–1962) and his wife Mildred Barnes Bliss (1879–1969).
Dupont Circle is a traffic circle, park, neighborhood, and historic district in Northwest Washington, D.C.. The Dupont Circle neighborhood is bounded approximately by 16th Street NW to the east, 22nd Street NW to the west, M Street NW to the south, and Florida Avenue NW to the north. Much of the neighborhood is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. However, the local government Advisory Neighborhood Commission (ANC 2B) and the Dupont Circle Historic District have slightly different boundaries.
NRHP reference number: 78003056, 85000238, 05000539; USGS GNIS ID: 2733463, 529472, 529413
Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies (Q1352632) more than one candidate found [show on map]
The Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS) is a division of Johns Hopkins University based in Washington, D.C., United States, with campuses in Bologna, Italy; and Nanjing, China. It is generally considered one of the top graduate schools for international relations in the world. The institution is devoted to the study of international affairs, economics, diplomacy, and policy research and education.
NRHP reference number: 76002127
The British Embassy Washington (commonly known in the United States as the Embassy of the United Kingdom, Washington, D.C.) is the British sovereign's diplomatic mission to the United States of America, representing the United Kingdom and the United Kingdom's interests. It is located at 3100 Massachusetts Avenue NW in Washington, D.C.
American University Park is a neighborhood of Washington, D.C., named for the American University. AU Park, as it is often abbreviated, is situated against the Maryland border in the Northwest quadrant, bounded by Massachusetts, Wisconsin, Nebraska, and Western Avenues. Tenleytown and Friendship Heights lie to the east, Embassy Row to the southeast, and Spring Valley to the southwest. Politically, it is part of Ward 3 and Advisory Neighborhood Commission 3E.
The William Jefferson Clinton Federal Building is a complex of several historic buildings located in the Federal Triangle in Washington, D.C., across 12th Street, NW from the Old Post Office. The complex now houses the headquarters of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
Bloomingdale is a neighborhood in the Northwest quadrant of Washington, D.C., less than two miles (3 km) north of the United States Capitol building. It is a primarily residential neighborhood, with a small commercial center near the intersection of Rhode Island Avenue and First Street NW featuring bars, restaurants, and food markets.
Capitol View is a neighborhood located in southeast Washington, D.C., in the United States. It is bounded by East Capitol Street to the north, Central Avenue SE to the southwest and south, and Southern Avenue SE to the southeast. Overwhelmingly poor and African American, the neighborhood was one of the most violent and drug-ridden in the 1980s and 1990s. The Capitol View neighborhood has seen several large, poorly maintained public housing projects demolished within the past decade. The government of the District of Columbia partnered with private real estate developers to construct the Capitol Gateway mixed-use development between 2000 and 2010. A second phase in the project, which will include a large new Walmart store and other retail businesses, will begin construction in 2015.
Central Northeast, also sometimes called Mahaning Heights, is a small neighborhood located in Northeast Washington, D.C. with Fort Mahan Park at its center. It is bounded by Nannie Helen Burroughs Avenue to the north, Benning Road to the south, the tracks of the Washington Metro and Minnesota Ave station to the west, and 44th Street NE to the east.
The Charlotte Forten Grimké House is a historic house at 1608 R Street NW in the Dupont Circle neighborhood of Northwest Washington, D.C., United States. From 1881 to 1886, the house was home to Charlotte Forten Grimké (1837–1914), an African-American abolitionist and educator, one of the first Northerners to enter Union-controlled areas of the South during the American Civil War in order to teach freedmen and their children. The house was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1976.
NRHP reference number: 76002129
Cleveland Park is a residential neighborhood in the Northwest quadrant of Washington, D.C. It is located at 38°56′11″N 77°3′58″W and bounded approximately by Rock Creek Park to the east, Wisconsin and Idaho Avenues to the west, Klingle and Woodley Roads to the south, and Rodman and Tilden Streets to the north. Its main commercial corridor lies along Connecticut Avenue NW, where the eponymous Cleveland Park station of the Washington Metro's Red Line can be found; another commercial corridor lies along Wisconsin Avenue. The neighborhood is known for its many late 19th century homes and the historic Art Deco Uptown Theater. It is also home to the William L. Slayton House and the Park and Shop, built in 1930 and one of the earliest strip malls.
NRHP reference number: 87000628
Congress Heights is a residential neighborhood in southeast Washington, D.C., in the United States. The irregularly shaped neighborhood is bounded by the St. Elizabeths Hospital campus, Lebaum Street SE, 4th Street SE, and Newcomb Street SE on the northeast; Shepard Parkway and South Capitol Street on the west; Atlantic Street SE and 1st Street SE (as far as Chesapeake Street SE) on the south; Oxon Run Parkway on the southeast; and Wheeler Street SE and Alabama Avenue SE on the east. Commercial development is heavy along Martin Luther King, Jr. Avenue and Malcolm X Avenue.
Crestwood is an entirely residential neighborhood located in Northwest Washington, D.C. and bordered on three sides by Rock Creek Park. Heading north from the White House on 16th Street, Crestwood is among the first neighborhoods that features single-family homes with larger lawns. It has lots of mature trees, and it is not uncommon to see deer and other wildlife from the park crossing the streets there.
The David White House is a historic house at 1459 Girard Street NW in Washington, D.C.. A National Historic Landmark, it was the home of geologist David White (1862–1935) from 1910 to 1925. White had a longtime association with the United States Geological Survey (USGS), and performed groundbreaking research on peat and petroleum geology.
NRHP reference number: 76002133
Douglass is a residential neighborhood in Southeast Washington, D.C., on the eastern side of St. Elizabeths Hospital, on the border of the Congress Heights Metro Station. It is bounded by Suitland Parkway to the north and east, Alabama Avenue to the south, and the St. Elizabeths campus to the west.
Dumbarton House is a Federal style house located in the Georgetown neighborhood of Washington, D.C.. It was completed around 1800. Its first occupant was Joseph Nourse, the first Register of the Treasury. Dumbarton House, a federal period historic house museum, stands on approximately an acre of gardens on the northern edge of Georgetown, District of Columbia. The house is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Displaying a fine collection of period decorative arts (furniture, silver, ceramics, etc.), it gives the visitor a concrete sense of a substantial private residence in the early 1800s. Constructed in 1798-99, the house was a private residence until The National Society of The Colonial Dames of America (NSCDA) purchased it for its headquarters in 1928 and gave it the name it has today. In addition to meeting its administrative needs, the NSCDA wanted to illustrate domestic life in Georgetown in the early federal period. To achieve this, its two principal floors were opened to the public as a house museum in 1932, on the 200th anniversary of the birth of George Washington.
NRHP reference number: 90002148
The Embassy of Mali in Washington, D.C. is the diplomatic mission of the Republic of Mali to the United States. The embassy is located at 2130 R Street Northwest in the Kalorama neighborhood of Washington, D.C.
The Embassy of Myanmar in Washington, D.C. is the diplomatic mission of the Republic of the Union of Myanmar to the United States. The embassy is located at 2300 S Street NW, Washington, D.C., in the Kalorama neighborhood. The building is a 1905 former residence designed by noted architect Appleton P. Clark, Jr. The ambassadorial residence is in the Charles Evans Hughes House on R Street.
The Embassy of the Republic of Congo in Washington, D.C. is the diplomatic mission of the Republic of Congo to the United States. It is housed in the historic Toutorsky Mansion, a former residence located at 1720 16th Street NW in the Dupont Circle neighborhood of Washington, D.C.
Kimpton Hotel Monaco Washington DC is a 183-room high end boutique hotel at the corner of 7th and F Streets Northwest in the Penn Quarter neighborhood of Washington, D.C.. Kimpton Hotel Monaco DC is one of ten Kimpton hotel properties in the Washington Metropolitan Area and is located across the street from the National Portrait Gallery and the Verizon Center. The hotel opened in the summer of 2002 and was named one of the eighty best new hotels in the world in 2003 by Condé Nast Traveler. In September 2010, Pebblebrook Hotel Trust acquired the Monaco Washington DC hotel for $74.0 million.
The Internal Revenue Service Building is a federal building which serves as the headquarters of the Internal Revenue Service. It is located at 12th Street, and Pennsylvania Avenue, Northwest, Washington, D.C., in the Federal Triangle.
The Lab School of Washington is a small private school in Washington, D.C. for students with learning differences, established in 1967 by Sally Smith. Katherine Schantz has directed the school from 2009 to the present. The Lab School of Washington established a new high school building in the Fall of 2016, and also has plans for an expanded Theater and Arts Wing and a renovated Middle School.
Madam's Organ Blues Bar is a restaurant and nightclub located at 2461 18th Street NW in Washington, D.C.'s Adams Morgan neighborhood. A local landmark, the bar is popular for its nightly live music, especially blues and bluegrass. Regular performers include Bobby Parker, Ben Andrews, Catfish Hodge, and Bob Perilla & Big Hillbilly Bluegrass. The bar offers billiards, has a rooftop deck and serves soul food. Notable regular patrons have included Euan Blair, son of Tony Blair, and the late Soviet dissident artist Alexandr Zhdanov. Hungarian Ambassador András Simonyi was not only a regular patron but also performed with his band "Coalition of the Willing" for his Washington Diplomatic farewell party attended by a Washington A-list including European diplomats, United States Secretary of Homeland Security Michael Chertoff, and Prime Minister Ferenc Gyurcsány. Additionally, Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson were regulars during the filming of Wedding Crashers, and Politically Incorrect host Bill Maher always stops by when in Washington. Barbara and Jenna Bush have also been spotted there. Madam's Organ was described as a favored hangout by Playboy and Stuff, and was featured on the Wild On! travel series on E!.
Mandarin Oriental Washington, D.C. is a luxury Postmodernist-style hotel located at 1330 Maryland Ave SW, Washington, D.C., in the United States. Completed in 2004, the hotel is near the National Mall and Smithsonian Institution museums, and overlooks the Tidal Basin. The hotel contains two restaurants, one of which (CityZen) closed permanently on December 6, 2014. Since its opening, the Mandarin Oriental Washington, D.C., has been AAA-rated four diamonds and Forbes Travel Guide rated four stars.
North Cleveland Park is a neighborhood in the Northwest quadrant of Washington, D.C.
John Stoddert Haw House is a historic building, located at 2808 N Street, Northwest, Washington, D.C., in the Georgetown neighborhood.
NRHP reference number: 73002089
Garfinckel's was a prominent department store chain based in Washington, D.C. that catered to a clientele of wealthy consumers. It filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in June 1990 and ceased operations that year.
Kinkead's, An American Brasserie was a fine dining restaurant in Washington, D.C. open from 1993 to 2012, named for its chef and owner Bob Kinkead, primarily featuring seafood and New American cuisine.
The Shakespeare Theatre Company is a regional theatre company located in Washington, D.C. The theatre company focuses primarily on plays from the Shakespeare canon, but its seasons include works by other classic playwrights such as Euripides, Ibsen, Wilde, Shaw, Schiller, Coward and Tennessee Williams. The company manages and performs in the Harman Center for the Arts, consisting of the Lansburgh Theatre and Sidney Harman Hall. In cooperation with George Washington University, they run the Academy for Classical Acting.
Mount Pleasant is a neighborhood in the northwestern quadrant of Washington, D.C., the capital of the United States. The neighborhood is bounded by Rock Creek Park to the north and west; and Harvard Street, NW, and the Adams Morgan neighborhood to the south; and Sixteenth Street, NW, and the Columbia Heights neighborhood to the east. The neighborhood is home to about 10,000 people.
NRHP reference number: 87001726
Theodore Roosevelt Island is an 88.5-acre (358,000 m2) island and national memorial located in the Potomac River in Washington, D.C. The island was given to the Federal government by the Theodore Roosevelt Association in memory of the 26th president, Theodore Roosevelt. Until then, the island had been known as My Lord's Island, Barbadoes Island, Mason's Island, Analostan Island, and Anacostine Island.
NRHP reference number: 66000869; website: http://www.nps.gov/this/
Adams Morgan is a neighborhood in Northwest Washington, D.C., centered at the intersection of 18th Street NW and Columbia Road, about 1.5 miles (2.54 km) north of the White House. Known for its broad mix of cultures and activities, Adams Morgan contains together both residential and entertainment areas, and has a vibrant nightlife with numerous bars and restaurants, particularly along 18th Street NW. Columbia Road also holds a busy stretch of shops and businesses. As a distinct, named area, Adams Morgan came into being in the late 1950s, when it drew together several smaller and older neighborhoods that were first developed in the latter 19th and early 20th centuries. It is today composed primarily of well-made rowhouses; and classically-styled mid-rise apartment buildings, many of which are now co-ops and condos; along with various commercial structures.
Foxhall, also known as Foxhall Village, is an affluent neighborhood in northwestern Washington, D.C., bordered by Reservoir Road on the north side, Foxhall Road on the west, Glover-Archbold Park on the east, and P Street NW on the south (with some properties south of P Street). The first homes were constructed along Reservoir Road and Greenwich Park Way in the mid-1920s. By the end of December, 1927, some 150 homes had been erected, and the community given the name of Foxhall Village.
NRHP reference number: 07001221
Brentwood is a neighborhood in Northeast Washington, D.C. and is named after the Brentwood Mansion built at Florida Avenue and 6th Street NE in 1817 by Robert Brent, the first mayor of Washington City. He built it as a wedding present for his daughter Eleanor on her marriage as second wife to Congressman Joseph Pearson, and it stood for a hundred years before burning down in 1917.
Barnaby Woods is a neighborhood in the Northwest quadrant of Washington, D.C., wedged between Rock Creek Park and Montgomery County, Maryland. It is bounded on the north by Aberfoyle Place, on the west by Western Avenue, on the south by Tennyson Street, and on the east by Oregon Avenue. Barnaby Woods is entirely residential, with no commercial zoning whatsoever, and the housing consists primarily of 1930s colonial homes on large parcels of land although on Unicorn Lane NW there are only townhouses.
Barry Farm is a neighborhood in Southeast Washington, D.C., located east of the Anacostia River and is bounded by the Southeast Freeway to the northwest, Suitland Parkway to the northeast and east, and St. Elizabeths Hospital to the south. The neighborhood was renowned as a significant post-Civil-War settlement of free Blacks and freed slaves established by the Freedmen's Bureau. The streets were named to commemorate the Union generals and Radical Republicans who advanced the rights of black Americans during the Civil War and Reconstruction: Howard Road SE for General Oliver O. Howard; Sumner Road SE for Massachusetts Senator Charles Sumner; Wade Road SE for Ohio Senator Benjamin Wade; Pomeroy Road SE for Kansas Senator Samuel C. Pomeroy; and Stevens Road SE for Pennsylvania Congressman Thaddeus Stevens. The neighborhood name is not a reference to the late former mayor of Washington, D.C., Marion Barry, but coincidentally has the same spelling.
Bellevue is a residential neighborhood in far Southeast and Southwest in Washington, D.C., in the United States. It is bounded by South Capitol Street, a block of Atlantic Street SE, and 1st Street SE and SW to the north and east; Joliet Street SW and Oxon Run Parkway to the south; Martin Luther King, Jr. Avenue SE, Shepherd Parkway, 2nd Street SW, and Xenia Street SW to the west. Bellevue was created from some of the earliest land patents in Maryland, and draws its name from a 1795 mansion built in the area. Subdivisions began in the 1870s, but extensive residential building did not occur until the early 1940s. Bellevue is adjacent to a number of federal and city agency buildings.
Benning is a residential neighborhood located in Ward 7 of Northeast Washington, D.C. It is bounded by East Capitol Street to the south, Minnesota Avenue to the west, and Benning Road (for which the neighborhood is named) on the north and east. It is served by the Benning Road station on the Blue Line of the Washington Metro.
Eckington is a neighborhood in Northeast Washington, D.C., located south of the Prospect Hill and Glenwood Cemeteries. Eckington is less than one mile (1.6 km) southeast of Howard University and exactly one mile north of the United States Capitol. Eckington is also the home of the District of Columbia office of Sirius XM Radio.
Edgewood is a neighborhood located in Ward 5 of Northeast Washington, D.C. Edgewood is bounded by Michigan Avenue NE to the north, Rhode Island Avenue NE to the south, Glenwood Cemetery to the west, and the Washington Metro's Red Line to the east. The eastern boundary originates with the establishment of the former Metropolitan Branch of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad in 1873, creating the physical barrier which today separates Edgewood from Brookland to the east.
Fairfax Village is a small neighborhood of garden apartments and townhouses located in southeast Washington, D.C. in the Hillcrest area. It is bound by Alabama Avenue SE to the northwest, Pennsylvania Avenue SE to the northeast, Suitland Road to the southwest, and Southern Avenue to the east.
Fairlawn is a working class and middle class residential neighborhood located in southeast Washington, D.C. It is bounded by Interstate 295, Pennsylvania Avenue SE, Minnesota Avenue SE (between Pennsylvania Avenue SE and Naylor Road SE), Naylor Road SE (between Minnesota Avenue SE Good Hope Road SE), and Good Hope Road SE.
Forest Hills is a residential neighborhood in the northwest quadrant of Washington, D.C., United States, bounded by Connecticut Avenue NW to the west, Rock Creek Park to the east, Chevy Chase to the north, and Tilden Street NW to the south. The neighborhood is frequently referred to as Van Ness, both because of its proximity to the University of the District of Columbia (UDC)'s Van Ness campus, and because it is served by the Van Ness–UDC station on the Washington Metro's Red Line.
Fort Dupont is a residential neighborhood located in southeast Washington, D.C., east of the Anacostia River. It is bounded by East Capitol Street to the north, Fort Dupont Park to the south, Minnesota Avenue to the west, and Fort Chaplin Park to the east and northeast.
Fort Lincoln is a neighborhood located in northeastern Washington, D.C. It is bounded by Bladensburg Road to the northwest, Eastern Avenue to the northeast, New York Avenue NE to the south, and South Dakota Avenue NE to the southwest. The town of Colmar Manor, Maryland, is across Eastern Avenue from the Fort Lincoln neighborhood, as is the Fort Lincoln Cemetery.
Garfield Heights is a residential neighborhood in Southeast Washington, D.C., bordering Prince George's County, Maryland. Garfield Heights contains both apartment units and single-family detached houses.
Gateway is the name of a small industrial and residential neighborhood in Northeast Washington, D.C. It is bounded by New York Avenue NE to the south and southeast, Bladensburg Road to the west, and South Dakota Avenue to the northeast. Gateway is across New York Avenue from the U.S. National Arboretum.
Glover Park is a neighborhood in northwest Washington, D.C., about a half mile north of Georgetown and just west of the United States Naval Observatory and Number One Observatory Circle (the Vice President's mansion). Every morning and evening, Glover Park residents can hear the Naval Observatory play the sounding of colors synchronized to the nation's Master Clock. It is named after Charles Carroll Glover.
Greenway is a residential neighborhood in Southeast Washington, D.C., in the United States. The neighborhood is bounded by East Capitol Street to the north, Pennsylvania Avenue SE to the south, Interstate 295 to the west, and Minnesota Avenue to the east.
Hawthorne is a neighborhood of 308 single family homes in the Northwest quadrant of Washington, D.C.. "According to neighborhood lore," the subdivision was named for the hawthorn trees once abundant in the area. The neighborhood borders Montgomery County, Maryland, and is bounded by Pinehurst Tributary to the south, Western Avenue to the northwest, and Rock Creek Park to the east.
Hillcrest is a neighborhood in the southeast quadrant of Washington, D.C., United States. Hillcrest is located on the District-Maryland line in Ward 7, east of the Anacostia River.
Kingman Park is a residential neighborhood in the Northeast quadrant of Washington, D.C., the capital city of the United States. Kingman Park's boundaries are 15th Street NE to the west; C Street SE to the south; Benning Road to the north; and Anacostia Park to the east. The neighborhood is composed primarily of two-story brick rowhouses (most of which were built when the neighborhood was founded in 1928). Kingman Park is named after Brigadier General Dan Christie Kingman, the former head of the United States Army Corps of Engineers (for whom nearby Kingman Island and Kingman Lake are also named).
Langdon, also referred to as, "South Woodridge", is a neighborhood located in Ward 5 of Northeast Washington, D.C. Historical surveys of D.C. recognize Langdon as a neighborhood dating back to at least 1903. Langdon is bounded by Montana Ave. NE to the west/southwest, New York Ave. NE to the south, Bladensburg Rd. NE to the southeast, South Dakota Ave. NE to the northeast, and Rhode Island Ave. NE to the north/northwest. Langdon is adjacent to the Northeast D.C. neighborhoods of Brentwood (west), Woodridge (east), Ofrt Lincoln (southeast), Gateway (south), and Brookland (north).
Lanier Heights is a small urban neighborhood located in the northwest section of Washington, D.C., and is one of the early subdivisions which were created inside the District of Columbia, but which lay outside of the original, officially-planned City of Washington. Situated two miles north of the White House, Lanier Heights is within the larger and newer neighborhood of Adams Morgan, and is usually considered to be a part of that more prominent locale. The area of Lanier Heights, just about 50 acres (20.25 hectares) in size, is bounded by 16th Street on the east, Adams Mill Road and the National Zoo on the west; Columbia Road to the south, and Harvard Street on the north. Developed mostly between 1900 and 1940, Lanier Heights consists primarily of row houses, plus a number of low- and medium-rise apartment buildings. The architecture is generally typical of the early twentieth century, in a variety of styles, especially Classical Revival. Some of the apartment houses have distinctive, well-crafted Art Deco designs. The area also contains a commercial stretch of stores on its southern side along Columbia Road. Nearby, just to the north of Lanier Heights, is the slightly older neighborhood of Mount Pleasant.
LeDroit Park ( or ) is a neighborhood in Washington, D.C. located immediately southeast of Howard University. Its borders include W Street to the north, Rhode Island Avenue and Florida Avenue to the south, Second Street NW to the east, and Howard University to the west. LeDroit Park is known for its history and 19th century protected architecture. The community's diversity entices new residents to the community, as well as its close proximity to the Shaw–Howard University Metro station and many dining options.
NRHP reference number: 74002165
Lincoln Heights is a residential neighborhood in Northeast Washington, D.C. It is bounded by Nannie Helen Burroughs Avenue NE to the north, Blaine Street NE to the south, Division Avenue NE to the east, and 49th Street NE to the west.
McLean Gardens is a residential neighborhood in Northwest Washington, D.C., bounded by Rodman Street NW to the north, Idaho Avenue to the south, Wisconsin Avenue to the east, and 39th Street NW to the west.
Naylor Gardens is a small neighborhood located in southeast Washington, D.C. It is bounded by Alabama Avenue SE, 30th Street SE, Erie Street SE, 32nd Street SE, Gainesville Street SE, 31st Street SE, and Naylor Road SE. The neighborhood is located in the area south and east of the Anacostia River.
Embassy of Burundi in Washington, D.C. (Q30592731) more than one candidate found [show on map]
The Embassy of Burundi in Washington, D.C. is the Republic of Burundi's diplomatic mission to the United States. It is located at 2233 Wisconsin Avenue NW in Washington, D.C.'s Glover Park neighborhood.
The Apollo Theater was a movie theater located at 624 H Street NE in Washington, D.C. which played silent movies. It was built in 1913 and was part of the Crandall network of movie theaters popular at the time. It was demolished in 1955. The lot is today occupied by a residential building named the "Apollo" in its honor.
The Chesapeake and Ohio Canal, abbreviated as the C&O Canal and occasionally called the "Grand Old Ditch," operated from 1831 until 1924 along the Potomac River from Washington, D.C., to Cumberland, Maryland. The canal's principal cargo was coal from the Allegheny Mountains.
Rock Creek Park is a large urban park that bisects the Northwest quadrant of Washington, D.C. The park was created by an Act of Congress in 1890 and today is administered by the National Park Service. In addition to the park proper, the Rock Creek administrative unit of the National Park Service administers various other federally owned properties in the District of Columbia located to the north and west of the National Mall, including Meridian Hill Park on 16th Street, N.W., the Old Stone House in Georgetown, and certain of the Fort Circle Parks, a series of batteries and forts encircling the District of Columbia for its defense during the U.S. Civil War.
NRHP reference number: 91001524
The Embassy of Oman in Washington, D.C. is the Sultanate of Oman's diplomatic mission to the United States. It is located at 2535 Belmont Road Northwest, Washington, D.C. in the Kalorama neighborhood.
Garfinckel's Department Store is an eight-story department store building in downtown Washington, D.C. Julius Garfinckel's company erected the store on the northwest corner of 14th and F Streets, across from the Willard Hotel, which is one block from the Treasury Department and less than two blocks from the White House.
NRHP reference number: 95000353
Lambda Rising was an LGBT bookstore that operated from 1974 to 2010 in Washington, D.C.
The Brickskeller (officially The Brickskeller Dining House and Down Home Saloon) was a tavern in Washington, D.C., located near Dupont Circle across from Rock Creek Park and on the edge of Georgetown, in the Marifex Hotel (now the Brickskeller Inn) building.