Latest matcher run: Fri, 03 Jul 2020 04:03
Wikidata tags already added to OSM with this tool.
361 candidates found
Language order preference. edit
The following matches are less certain, mostly because the OSM and Wikidata locations are two far apart.
USGS GNIS ID: 2648012
Rock Creek is a free-flowing tributary of the Potomac River that empties into the Atlantic Ocean via the Chesapeake Bay. The 32.6-mile (52.5 km) creek drains about 76.5 square miles (198 km2). Its final quarter-mile (400 m) is affected by tides.
M Street High School, also known as Perry School, is a historic former school building located in the Northwest Quadrant of Washington, D.C. It has been listed on the District of Columbia Inventory of Historic Sites since 1978 and it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1986. The building escaped demolition with community support and the efforts of preservationists and is now a community center.
NRHP reference number: 86002924
The American Veterans Disabled for Life Memorial is a memorial in Washington, D.C., which honors veterans of the armed forces of the United States who were permanently disabled during the course of their national service. Congress adopted legislation establishing the memorial on October 23, 2000, authorizing the Disabled Veterans for Life Memorial Foundation to design, raise funds for, and construct the memorial. The fundraising goal was reached in mid-2010, and ground for the memorial broken on November 10, 2010. The memorial was dedicated by President Barack Obama on October 5, 2014.
USGS GNIS ID: 529032
USGS GNIS ID: 529894
USGS GNIS ID: 529025
USGS GNIS ID: 529024
USGS GNIS ID: 530156
USGS GNIS ID: 531491; website: https://dpr.dc.gov/page/emery-heights-recreation-center, https://dpr.dc.gov/page/emery-heights-community-center
USGS GNIS ID: 530363
USGS GNIS ID: 2458392
USGS GNIS ID: 530041
USGS GNIS ID: 528959
USGS GNIS ID: 529979
USGS GNIS ID: 530864
USGS GNIS ID: 531602
USGS GNIS ID: 531965
USGS GNIS ID: 530039
USGS GNIS ID: 531603
USGS GNIS ID: 2458384
USGS GNIS ID: 531557
USGS GNIS ID: 530450
USGS GNIS ID: 530040
The World Bank is an international financial institution that provides loans and grants to the governments of poorer countries for the purpose of pursuing capital projects. It comprises two institutions: the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD), and the International Development Association (IDA). The World Bank is a component of the World Bank Group.
website: https://www.worldbank.org/, https://data.worldbank.org/, https://www.banquemondiale.org/, https://donnees.banquemondiale.org/, https://www.albankaldawli.org
The School of International Service (SIS) is American University's school of advanced international study, covering areas such as international politics, international communication, international development, international economics, peace and conflict resolution, global environmental politics, and U.S. foreign policy.
USGS GNIS ID: 2063156; website: https://www.american.edu/sis/
Georgetown University School of Nursing & Health Studies (NHS) is one of the five undergraduate schools of Georgetown University. Founded in 1903 as the School of Nursing, it added three other health related majors in 1999 and appended its name to become the School of Nursing & Health Studies. The school has been at the forefront of education in the health care field, offering many programs unique to America's elite institutions. Offering undergraduate and graduate programs in the health sciences, graduates are prepared to enter the complex fields of medicine, law, health policy, and nursing. NHS is made up of the Department of Health Systems Administration, the Department of Human Science, the Department of International Health, and the Department of Nursing.
Sears, Roebuck and Company Department Store, also known as The Cityline Building, is an historic retail building, located at 4500 Wisconsin Avenue, Northwest, Washington, D.C., in the Tenleytown neighborhood.
NRHP reference number: 96000061
The Shakespeare Theatre Company is a regional theatre company located in Washington, D.C. The theatre company focuses primarily on plays from the Shakespeare canon, but its seasons include works by other classic playwrights such as Euripides, Ibsen, Wilde, Shaw, Schiller, Coward and Tennessee Williams. The company manages and performs in the Harman Center for the Arts, consisting of the Lansburgh Theatre and Sidney Harman Hall. In cooperation with George Washington University, they run the Academy for Classical Acting.
Fairlawn is a working class and middle class residential neighborhood located in southeast Washington, D.C., United States. It is bounded by Interstate 295, Pennsylvania Avenue SE, Minnesota Avenue SE (between Pennsylvania Avenue SE and Naylor Road SE), Naylor Road SE (between Minnesota Avenue SE Good Hope Road SE), and Good Hope Road SE.
Frelinghuysen University is a former university in Washington, D.C., "devoted in perpetuo to Education of Colored Adults". It "aim[ed] to meet some of the educational needs and demands of colored working folk who are past the age of public school advantages and unable for obvious reasons to meet the requirements of a full day-time college or university." Its classes met outside of business hours; it offered "part-time adult schooling".
NRHP reference number: 95001228
Garfinckel's was a prominent department store chain based in Washington, D.C. that catered to a clientele of wealthy consumers. It filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in June 1990 and ceased operations that year.
Garfinckel's Department Store is an eight-story department store building in downtown Washington, D.C. Julius Garfinckel's company erected the store on the northwest corner of 14th and F Streets, across from the Willard Hotel, which is one block from the Treasury Department and less than two blocks from the White House.
NRHP reference number: 95000353; USGS GNIS ID: 2002675
Lambda Rising was an LGBT bookstore that operated from 1974 to 2010 in Washington, D.C.
Langdon, also referred to as, "South Woodridge", is a neighborhood located in Ward 5 of Northeast Washington, D.C. Historical surveys of D.C. recognize Langdon as a neighborhood dating back to at least 1903. Langdon is bounded by Montana Ave. NE to the west/southwest, New York Ave. NE to the south, Bladensburg Rd. NE to the southeast, South Dakota Ave. NE to the northeast, and Rhode Island Ave. NE to the north/northwest. Langdon is adjacent to the Northeast D.C. neighborhoods of Brentwood (west), Woodridge (east), Fort Lincoln (southeast), Gateway (south), and Brookland (north).
USGS GNIS ID: 530956
USGS GNIS ID: 528562
USGS GNIS ID: 531054
USGS GNIS ID: 528993
USGS GNIS ID: 2458389
USGS GNIS ID: 531605
USGS GNIS ID: 528599
USGS GNIS ID: 528937
USGS GNIS ID: 531490
USGS GNIS ID: 531973
USGS GNIS ID: 530957
USGS GNIS ID: 528856
USGS GNIS ID: 528940
USGS GNIS ID: 530876
USGS GNIS ID: 2002671
USGS GNIS ID: 2733464
USGS GNIS ID: 530672
USGS GNIS ID: 530867
USGS GNIS ID: 529766
USGS GNIS ID: 528611
USGS GNIS ID: 2458398
USGS GNIS ID: 2458399
USGS GNIS ID: 528974
USGS GNIS ID: 531607
USGS GNIS ID: 531538
USGS GNIS ID: 531592
USGS GNIS ID: 530781
USGS GNIS ID: 1998887
USGS GNIS ID: 531593
USGS GNIS ID: 531486
USGS GNIS ID: 2458403
USGS GNIS ID: 531584
USGS GNIS ID: 531608
USGS GNIS ID: 1901343
USGS GNIS ID: 528983
USGS GNIS ID: 529402
USGS GNIS ID: 529565
USGS GNIS ID: 531481
USGS GNIS ID: 531960
USGS GNIS ID: 531482
USGS GNIS ID: 531550
USGS GNIS ID: 531940
USGS GNIS ID: 530875
The International Monetary Fund (IMF) is an international organization headquartered in Washington, D.C., consisting of 189 countries working to foster global monetary cooperation, secure financial stability, facilitate international trade, promote high employment and sustainable economic growth, and reduce poverty around the world while periodically depending on the World Bank for its resources. Formed in 1944 at the Bretton Woods Conference primarily by the ideas of Harry Dexter White and John Maynard Keynes, it came into formal existence in 1945 with 29 member countries and the goal of reconstructing the international payment system. It now plays a central role in the management of balance of payments difficulties and international financial crises. Countries contribute funds to a pool through a quota system from which countries experiencing balance of payments problems can borrow money. As of 2016, the fund had XDR 477 billion (about US$667 billion).
The Capitol Power Plant is a fossil-fuel burning power plant which provides steam and chilled water for the United States Capitol, the Supreme Court, the Library of Congress and 19 other buildings in the Capitol Complex. Located at 25 E St SE in southeast Washington, D.C., it is the only coal-burning power plant in the District of Columbia, though it mostly uses natural gas. The plant has been serving the Capitol since 1910, and is under the administration of the Architect of the Capitol (see 2 U.S.C. § 2162). Though it was originally built to supply the Capitol complex with electricity as well, the plant has not produced electricity for the Capitol since 1952. Electricity generation is now handled by the same power grid and local electrical utility (Pepco) that serves the rest of metropolitan Washington.
Central Northeast, also sometimes called Mahaning Heights, is a small neighborhood located in Northeast Washington, D.C. with Fort Mahan Park at its center. It is bounded by Nannie Helen Burroughs Avenue to the north, Benning Road to the south, the tracks of the Washington Metro and Minnesota Ave station to the west, and 44th Street NE to the east.
Engine House No. 10 is a historic firehouse located at 1341 Maryland Ave., NE., Washington, D.C., in the Stanton Park neighborhood, just north of Capitol Hill.
NRHP reference number: 08001063
The Apollo Theater was a movie theater located at 624 H Street NE in Washington, D.C. which played silent movies. It was built in 1913 and was part of the Crandall network of movie theaters popular at the time. It was demolished in 1955. The lot is today occupied by a residential building named the "Apollo" in its honor.
The Jefferson is a luxury boutique hotel located at 1200 16th Street NW in Washington, D.C., in the United States. It has also been known as The Jefferson Hotel. It was built from 1922 to 1923, and was initially an apartment building. After housing war workers during World War II, the structure was converted to a hotel in 1954. Although not noted for its luxury at that time, it was the favorite of theater and movie stars, musicians, and top government officials. It became better known for its luxury accommodations after a 1980 renovation, and became a Washington landmark. It was sold in 1989, 2000, and 2005, and underwent a two-year, multimillion-dollar renovation that revealed the building's original atrium skylight. It reopened in 2009.
The Embassy of Burundi in Washington, D.C. is the Republic of Burundi's diplomatic mission to the United States. It is located at 2233 Wisconsin Avenue NW in Washington, D.C.'s Glover Park neighborhood.
Latin American Montessori Bilingual Public Charter School is a public charter school in Washington, D.C.. It operates in three buildings in the Northwest and Northeast quadrants of the city: the historic Military Road School in Northwest's Brightwood, a building on the former campus of the Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Brightwood and at the corner of Perry Street and South Dakota Avenue in Northeast's Brookland neighborhood.
NRHP reference number: 03000674; website: http://www.lambpcs.org
USGS GNIS ID: 529755
USGS GNIS ID: 530673
DAR Constitution Hall is a concert hall located at 1776 D Street NW, near the White House in Washington, D.C. It was built in 1929 by the Daughters of the American Revolution to house its annual convention when membership delegations outgrew Memorial Continental Hall. Later, the two buildings were connected by a third structure housing the DAR Museum, administrative offices, and genealogical library. DAR Constitution Hall is still owned and operated by the National Society of Daughters of the American Revolution. It was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1985. It has been a major cultural center of the city since its construction, and houses its largest auditorium.
website: https://www.dar.org/constitution-hall; USGS GNIS ID: 530585; NRHP reference number: 85002724
The United States Chamber of Commerce (USCC) is a business-oriented American lobbying group.
Washington Circle is a traffic circle in the northwest quadrant of Washington, D.C., United States. It is located on the border of the Foggy Bottom and West End neighborhoods, which is a part of the Ward 2 section in Washington. It is the intersection of 23rd Street, K Street, New Hampshire Avenue, and Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W. The through lanes of K Street (which are U.S. Route 29) travel underneath the circle in a tunnel, while the service lanes intersect the circle.
Theodore Roosevelt Island is an 88.5-acre (358,000 m2) island and national memorial located in the Potomac River in Washington, D.C. The island was given to the federal government by the Theodore Roosevelt Association in memory of the 26th president, Theodore Roosevelt. Until then, the island had been known as My Lord's Island, Barbadoes Island, Mason's Island, Analostan Island, and Anacostine Island.
USGS GNIS ID: 531468, 2733420, 528666; NRHP reference number: 66000869; website: http://www.nps.gov/this/, https://www.nps.gov/this/index.htm
Adams Morgan is a neighborhood in Northwest Washington, D.C., centered at the intersection of 18th Street NW and Columbia Road, about 1.5 miles (2.54 km) north of the White House. Known for its broad mix of cultures and activities, Adams Morgan contains together both residential and entertainment areas, and has a vibrant nightlife with numerous bars and restaurants, particularly along 18th Street NW. Columbia Road also holds a busy stretch of shops and businesses. As a distinct, named area, Adams Morgan came into being in the late 1950s, when it drew together several smaller and older neighborhoods that were first developed in the latter 19th and early 20th centuries. It is today composed primarily of well-made rowhouses; and classically-styled mid-rise apartment buildings, many of which are now co-ops and condos; along with various commercial structures.
Ward Circle is a traffic circle at the intersection of Nebraska and Massachusetts Avenues in Northwest, Washington, D.C. The circle, totaling 30,243 sq ft (2,809.7 m2), is owned and administered by the National Park Service through its Rock Creek Park unit. On three sides is the campus of American University, while the fourth is occupied by the Nebraska Avenue Complex, home of the headquarters of the Department of Homeland Security. The circle is centered around a Statue of Artemas Ward, which was donated by Harvard University. Ward Circle was constructed for the sculpture.
USGS GNIS ID: 2733452, 531848
Westmoreland Circle is a traffic circle straddling the border between the U.S. state of Maryland and Washington, D.C. The circle lies at the intersection of Western Avenue, Butterworth Place, Massachusetts Avenue, Dalecarlia Parkway, Wetherill Road, and Dalecarlia Drive. The grass area and trees within the interior of the circle are maintained by and under the jurisdiction of the National Park Service.
USGS GNIS ID: 2733465, 528697, 588162
Foxhall, also known as Foxhall Village, is a neighborhood in northwestern Washington, D.C., bordered by Reservoir Road on the north side, Foxhall Road on the west, Glover-Archbold Park on the east, and P Street NW on the south (with some properties south of P Street). The first homes were constructed along Reservoir Road and Greenwich Park Way in the mid-1920s. By the end of December, 1927, some 150 homes had been erected, and the community given the name of Foxhall Village.
NRHP reference number: 07001221
Brentwood is a neighborhood in Northeast Washington, D.C. and is named after the Brentwood Mansion built at Florida Avenue and 6th Street NE in 1817 by Robert Brent, the first mayor of Washington City. He built it as a wedding present for his daughter Eleanor on her marriage as second wife to Congressman Joseph Pearson, and it stood for a hundred years before burning down in 1917.
Fort Dupont is a residential neighborhood located in southeast Washington, D.C., east of the Anacostia River. It is bounded by East Capitol Street to the north, Fort Dupont Park to the south, Minnesota Avenue to the west, and Fort Chaplin Park to the east and northeast.
USGS GNIS ID: 530887
Fort Lincoln is a neighborhood located in northeastern Washington, D.C. It is bounded by Bladensburg Road to the northwest, Eastern Avenue to the northeast, New York Avenue NE to the south, and South Dakota Avenue NE to the southwest. The town of Colmar Manor, Maryland, is across Eastern Avenue from the Fort Lincoln neighborhood, as is the Fort Lincoln Cemetery.
The Four Seasons Hotel Washington, D.C. is a luxury hotel located at 2800 Pennsylvania Avenue NW in Washington, D.C..
The Commercial Spaceflight Federation is a private spaceflight industry group, incorporated as an industry association for the purposes of establishing ever higher levels of safety for the commercial human spaceflight industry, sharing best practices and expertise, and promoting the growth of the industry worldwide. Issues that the Commercial Spaceflight Federation work on include, but are not limited to, airspace issues, FAA regulations and permits, industry safety standards, public outreach, and public advocacy for the commercial space sector.
Crestwood is an entirely residential neighborhood located in Northwest Washington, D.C. and bordered on three sides by Rock Creek Park. Heading north from the White House on 16th Street, Crestwood is among the first neighborhoods that features single-family homes with larger lawns. It has many mature trees, and it is not uncommon to see deer and other wildlife from the park crossing the streets there.
The David White House is a historic house at 1459 Girard Street NW in Washington, D.C.. A National Historic Landmark, it was the home of geologist David White (1862–1935) from 1910 to 1925. White had a longtime association with the United States Geological Survey (USGS), and performed groundbreaking research on peat and petroleum geology.
NRHP reference number: 76002133
Eastland Gardens is a small residential neighborhood, located in northeast Washington, D.C. It is bounded by Eastern Avenue NE to the north, the Watts Branch Tributary to the south, CSX Transportation tracks to the east and the Anacostia River to the west.
Georgetown College, infrequently Georgetown College of Arts and Sciences, is the oldest school within Georgetown University in Washington, D.C. The College is the largest undergraduate school at Georgetown, and until the founding of the School of Medicine in 1850, was the only higher education division of the university. In 1821, the school granted its first graduate degrees, though the graduate portion has since been separated as the Georgetown University Graduate School of Arts and Sciences.
The Georgetown Market is an historic building constructed in 1865, on the site of a market dating to 1795. It is located at 3276 M Street, Northwest, Washington, D.C., in the Georgetown neighborhood.
NRHP reference number: 71001000
The Georgetown University Astronomical Observatory (also the Heyden Observatory and Francis J. Heyden Observatory) was founded in 1841 by Father James Curley of the Department of Physics at Georgetown College. Father Curley chose a site on the college grounds, planned the building, and supervised its construction to its completion in 1844. Costs were initially paid by Rev. Thomas Meredith Jenkins, S.J., and Rev. Charles H. Stonestreet, S.J., who were Georgetown professors at the time. The observatory was used in 1846 to determine the latitude and longitude of Washington, D.C., which Curley determined to be latitude 38°54′26N and longitude 5h8m18.29s (west of Greenwich).
NRHP reference number: 73002087
Georgetown University Medical Center (GUMC) is the medical campus at Georgetown University. It is also a $225 million biomedical research and educational organization. The Medical Center contains over 80% of Georgetown University's sponsored research funding and is led by Edward B. Healton, MD, the Executive Vice President for Health Sciences and Executive Dean of the School of Medicine
Georgetown Visitation Preparatory School is a private Roman Catholic college-preparatory school for girls located in the historic Washington, D.C. neighborhood of Georgetown. Founded in 1799 by the Order of the Visitation of Holy Mary (also known as the Visitation Sisters), it is one of the oldest continuously-operating school for girls in the country and the city as well as the oldest Catholic school for girls in the original Thirteen Colonies. It is located within the Archdiocese of Washington.
NRHP reference number: 90002146; website: http://www.visi.org/
Georgetown University School of Medicine, a medical school opened in 1851, is one of Georgetown University's five graduate schools. It is located on Reservoir Road in the Georgetown neighborhood of Washington, DC, adjacent to the University's main campus. The School of Medicine works in association with the 609-bed Georgetown University Hospital, Washington Hospital Center, and nine other affiliated federal and community hospitals in the Washington metropolitan area. Georgetown is the oldest Catholic medical school in the United States.
Glen Hurst is a historic house, located at 4933 MacArthur Boulevard, Northwest, Washington, D.C., in the Palisades neighborhood.
NRHP reference number: 05000336
Gonzaga College High School, originally Washington Seminary, is a Jesuit high school for boys located in Washington, D.C. It is named in honor of St. Aloysius Gonzaga, an Italian saint from the 16th century. Gonzaga is the oldest boys' high school in the District of Columbia and also the oldest college in the original federal city of Washington.
Greenway is a residential neighborhood in Southeast Washington, D.C., in the United States. The neighborhood is bounded by East Capitol Street to the north, Pennsylvania Avenue SE to the south, Interstate 295 to the west, and Minnesota Avenue to the east.
The Harman Center for the Arts is a complex consisting of the Lansburgh Theatre (450 7th Street NW) and Sidney Harman Hall (SHH; at Sixth and F Streets NW) in downtown Washington, D.C., USA.
Hawthorne is a neighborhood of 308 single family homes in the Northwest quadrant of Washington, D.C.. "According to neighborhood lore," the subdivision was named for the hawthorn trees once abundant in the area. The neighborhood borders Montgomery County, Maryland, and is bounded by Pinehurst Tributary to the south, Western Avenue to the northwest, and Rock Creek Park to the east.
Hillcrest is a neighborhood in the southeast quadrant of Washington, D.C., United States. Hillcrest is located on the District-Maryland line in Ward 7, east of the Anacostia River.
Holy Redeemer College is a Roman Catholic institution that provides housing to priests and religious brothers who are pursuing studies in Washington, D.C. Located at 3112 7th Street, NE in the city's Edgewood neighborhood, it is run by the Baltimore Province of the Congregation of the Most Holy Redeemer, better known as the Redemptorists. The College's proximity to several other Catholic institutions means that it is part of the Brookland, Edgewood, Michigan Park area sometimes referred to as "Little Rome".
NRHP reference number: 100003958
The Howard T. Markey National Courts Building (formerly the National Courts Building) is a courthouse in Washington, D.C., which houses the United States Court of Federal Claims and the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. It is located at 717 Madison Place NW, east of Lafayette Square and north of the White House, and borders the Benjamin Ogle Tayloe House at 721 Madison Place NW, the former Cosmos Club building at 725 Madison Place NW, and the Cutts-Madison House at 1520 H Street NW.
The Internal Revenue Service Building is a federal building which serves as the headquarters of the Internal Revenue Service. It is located at 1111 Constitution Avenue, Northwest, Washington, D.C. (corner of 12th Street), in the Federal Triangle.
Kenilworth is a residential neighborhood in Northeast Washington, D.C., located on the eastern bank of the Anacostia River and just inside the D.C.-Maryland border. A large public housing complex, Kenilworth Courts, dominates the area. The neighborhood is famous for the Kenilworth Park and Aquatic Gardens, a national park whose centerpiece is a series of ponds carved out of Anacostia River marshland. Visitors come especially during June and July to see the beautiful blooming water lilies and lotus flowers. Kenilworth Park, which includes the Kenilworth-Parkside Recreation Center, also carries the neighborhood name, though most of the park's area is actually located adjacent to the modern neighborhoods of Parkside and Eastland Gardens.
Kingman Island (also known as Burnham Barrier) and Heritage Island are islands in Northeast and Southeast Washington, D.C., in the Anacostia River. Both islands are man-made, built from material dredged from the Anacostia River and completed in 1916. Kingman Island is bordered on the east by the Anacostia River, and on the west by 110-acre (45 ha) Kingman Lake. Heritage Island is surrounded by Kingman Lake. Both islands were federally owned property managed by the National Park Service until 1995. They are currently owned by the District of Columbia government, and managed by Living Classrooms National Capital Region. Kingman Island is bisected by Benning Road and the Ethel Kennedy Bridge, with the southern half of the island bisected again by East Capitol Street and the Whitney Young Memorial Bridge. As of 2010, Langston Golf Course occupied the northern half of Kingman Island, while the southern half of Kingman Island and all of Heritage Island remained largely undeveloped. Kingman Island, Kingman Lake and nearby Kingman Park are named after Brigadier General Dan Christie Kingman, the former head of the United States Army Corps of Engineers.
Kingman Park is a residential neighborhood in the Northeast quadrant of Washington, D.C., the capital city of the United States. Kingman Park's boundaries are 15th Street NE to the west; C Street SE to the south; Benning Road to the north; and Anacostia Park to the east. The neighborhood is composed primarily of two-story brick rowhouses (most of which were built when the neighborhood was founded in 1928). Kingman Park is named after Brigadier General Dan Christie Kingman, the former head of the United States Army Corps of Engineers (for whom nearby Kingman Island and Kingman Lake are also named).
Kinkead's, An American Brasserie was a fine dining restaurant in Washington, D.C. open from 1993 to 2012, named for its chef and owner Bob Kinkead, primarily featuring seafood and New American cuisine.
The Lab School of Washington is a small private school in Washington, D.C. for students with learning disabilities, established in 1967 by Sally Smith. Katherine Schantz has directed the school from 2009 to the present. The Lab School of Washington established a new high school building in the Fall of 2016, and also has plans for an expanded Theater and Arts Wing and a renovated Middle School.
The Lafayette Apartment Building is an historic structure located in the Shaw neighborhood in the Northwest Quadrant of Washington, D.C. George S. Cooper was the architect for this building, which was one of the earliest apartment buildings in Washington. Built in 1898 it incorporated elements of the Queen Anne style into an affordable middle-class development. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1994.
NRHP reference number: 94001044
The Lothrop Mansion, also known as the Alvin Mason Lothrop House, is an historic home, located at 2001 Connecticut Avenue, Northwest, Washington, D.C., in the Kalorama neighborhood.
website: http://usa.ved.gov.ru/ru/; NRHP reference number: 88001346
Madam's Organ Blues Bar is a restaurant and nightclub located at 2461 18th Street NW in Washington, D.C.'s Adams Morgan neighborhood. A local landmark, the bar is popular for its nightly live music, especially blues and bluegrass. Regular performers include Bobby Parker, Ben Andrews, Catfish Hodge, and Bob Perilla & Big Hillbilly Bluegrass. The bar offers billiards, has a rooftop deck and serves soul food. Notable regular patrons have included Euan Blair, son of Tony Blair, and the late Soviet dissident artist Alexandr Zhdanov. Hungarian Ambassador András Simonyi was not only a regular patron but also performed with his band "Coalition of the Willing" for his Washington Diplomatic farewell party attended by a Washington A-list including European diplomats, United States Secretary of Homeland Security Michael Chertoff, and Prime Minister Ferenc Gyurcsány. Additionally, Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson were regulars during the filming of Wedding Crashers, and Politically Incorrect host Bill Maher always stops by when in Washington. Barbara and Jenna Bush have also been spotted there. Madam's Organ was described as a favored hangout by Playboy and Stuff, and was featured on the Wild On! travel series on E!.
Mandarin Oriental Washington, D.C. is a luxury Postmodernist-style hotel located at 1330 Maryland Ave SW, Washington, D.C., in the United States. Completed in 2004, the hotel is near the National Mall and Smithsonian Institution museums, and overlooks the Tidal Basin. The hotel contains two restaurants, one of which (CityZen) closed permanently on December 6, 2014. Since its opening, the Mandarin Oriental Washington, D.C., has been AAA-rated four diamonds and Forbes Travel Guide rated four stars.
website: http://www.mandarinoriental.com/washington/, https://www.mandarinoriental.com/washington/national-mall/luxury-hotel
Manor Park is a neighborhood in Ward 4 of northwest Washington, D.C.. The National Capital Planning Commission 1967 "District Communities" map indicates this neighborhood is roughly bounded between 8th Street NW to the west, North Capitol Street NW, Blair Road NW, and the Washington Metropolitan Area Red Line train tracks to the east, Rittenhouse Street NW to the north, and Missouri Avenue NW to the south. Manor Park borders the adjacent neighborhoods of Takoma Park, Brightwood, and Brightwood Park in NW Washington D.C. and also borders the Riggs Park neighborhood in NE Washington D.C. In 1940, the Manor Park Citizens Association deemed the boundaries to be Eighth Street, Whittier Street, North Capitol Street, and Concord Street (now Missouri Avenue).
Margaret Wetzel House is a historic home at 714 21st Street, Northwest, Washington, D.C., in the Foggy Bottom neighborhood.
NRHP reference number: 90001542
Massachusetts Heights is a small neighborhood in Northwest Washington, DC, dominated by the grounds of the Washington National Cathedral.
USGS GNIS ID: 530786
The Memorial Continental Hall in Washington, D.C. is the national headquarters of the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR). It is located at 1776 D Street NW, sharing a city block with the DAR's Administration Building was built in 1920, and Constitution Hall. Completed in 1910, it is the oldest of the three buildings. It was the site of the 1922 Washington Naval Conference, a major diplomatic event in the aftermath of World War I. The building was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1972.
NRHP reference number: 72001427; USGS GNIS ID: 2457510
USGS GNIS ID: 531949
USGS GNIS ID: 531591
USGS GNIS ID: 529062
USGS GNIS ID: 528683
USGS GNIS ID: 2458841
The World Bank Group (WBG) is a family of five international organizations that make leveraged loans to developing countries. It is the largest and most well-known development bank in the world and is an observer at the United Nations Development Group. The bank is headquartered in Washington, D.C. in the United States. It provided around $61 billion in loans and assistance to "developing" and transition countries in the 2014 fiscal year. The bank's stated mission is to achieve the twin goals of ending extreme poverty and building shared prosperity. Total lending as of 2015 for the last 10 years through Development Policy Financing was approximately $117 billion. Its five organizations are the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD), the International Development Association (IDA), the International Finance Corporation (IFC), the Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency (MIGA) and the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID). The first two are sometimes collectively referred to as the World Bank.
USGS GNIS ID: 531746
NRHP reference number: 100005295; website: https://www.tabardinn.com/
Georgetown University is a private research university in the Georgetown neighborhood of Washington, D.C. Founded by Bishop John Carroll in 1789 as Georgetown College, the university has grown to comprise ten undergraduate and graduate schools, among which are the School of Foreign Service, School of Business, Medical School, Law School, and a campus in Qatar. On a hill above the Potomac River, the school's main campus is identifiable by its flagship Healy Hall, a National Historic Landmark.
website: http://www.georgetown.edu; USGS GNIS ID: 531568
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) is a governmental body of the United States with powers to regulate all aspects of civil aviation in that nation as well as over its surrounding international waters. Its powers include the construction and operation of airports, air traffic management, the certification of personnel and aircraft, and the protection of U.S. assets during the launch or re-entry of commercial space vehicles. Powers over neighboring international waters were delegated to the FAA by authority of the International Civil Aviation Organization.
The Willard InterContinental Washington, commonly known as the Willard Hotel, is a historic luxury Beaux-Arts hotel located at 1401 Pennsylvania Avenue NW in Washington, D.C. Among its facilities are numerous luxurious guest rooms, several restaurants, the famed Round Robin Bar, the Peacock Alley series of luxury shops, and voluminous function rooms. Owned by InterContinental Hotels & Resorts, it is two blocks east of the White House, and two blocks west of the Metro Center station of the Washington Metro.
website: http://washington.intercontinental.com/; NRHP reference number: 74002177
The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) is the revenue service of the United States federal government. The government agency is a bureau of the Department of the Treasury, and is under the immediate direction of the Commissioner of Internal Revenue, who is appointed to a five-year term by the President of the United States. The IRS is responsible for collecting taxes and administering the Internal Revenue Code, the main body of federal statutory tax law of the United States. The duties of the IRS include providing tax assistance to taxpayers and pursuing and resolving instances of erroneous or fraudulent tax filings. The IRS has also overseen various benefits programs, and enforces portions of the Affordable Care Act.
website: http://www.irs.gov, https://www.irs.gov/Russian
Spring Valley is a neighborhood in northwest, Washington, D.C., known for its large homes and tree-lined streets and more recently for being a military superfund site of former Camp Leach. It houses most of the main campus of American University, which gives its name to the neighborhood to Spring Valley's northeast, American University Park.
Springland, also known as the Dent House, is an historic house, located at 3550 Tilden Street, Northwest, Washington, D.C., in the Cleveland Park neighborhood.
NRHP reference number: 90001114
Takoma, Washington, D.C., is a neighborhood in Washington, D.C.. It is located in Advisory Neighborhood Commission 4B, in the District's Fourth Ward, within the northwest quadrant. It borders the city of Takoma Park, Maryland.
NRHP reference number: 83001416
The Dupont Circle Hotel is a luxury boutique hotel overlooking Dupont Circle, in Washington, D.C. Before renovations in 2009, it was known as the Jurys Washington Hotel. Prior to that, it was known as the Dupont Plaza Hotel.
The George Washington University Graduate School of Education and Human Development (abbreviated as GSEHD) is the professional graduate school of education of the George Washington University, in Washington, D.C. GSEHD is one of the most preeminent schools of education in the United States.
The U.S. Chamber of Commerce Building is an historic Beaux Arts style building located at 1615 H St., NW., in Washington, D.C..
NRHP reference number: 92000499
The U Street Corridor, sometimes called Cardozo/Shaw or Cardozo, is a commercial and residential district in Northwest Washington, D.C., most of which also constitutes the Greater U Street Historic District. It is centered along a nine-block stretch of U Street from 9th to 18th streets NW, from the 1920s until the 1960s was the city's black entertainment hub, called "Black Broadway" and "the heart of black culture in Washington, D.C.". After a period of decline following the 1968 riots, the economy picked up with the 1991 opening of the U Street metro station. With subsequent gentrification the population diversified and as of 2017 is est. 67% non-Hispanic White and 18% African American. Since 2013, thousands of new residents have moved into large new luxury apartment buildings. U Street is now promoted as a "happening" neighborhood for upscale yet "hip" and "eclectic" dining and shopping, its live music and nightlife, as well as one of the most significant African American heritage districts in the country.
NRHP reference number: 98001557
Warder Mansion (also known as Warder-Totten House) is an apartment complex at 2633 16th Street Northwest, in the Meridian Hill Park neighborhood of Washington, D.C. It is the only surviving building in the city designed by architect Henry Hobson Richardson. In an early example of preservation commitment, the building was saved from demolition in the 1920s by being disassembled and moved 1.5 miles (2.4 km) north of its original site. In the 1990s, the Warder-Totten House's prospects for survival again looked bleak, but the building was saved a second time.
NRHP reference number: 72001437
The Uline Arena, later renamed the Washington Coliseum, was an indoor arena in Washington, D.C. located at 1132, 1140, and 1146 3rd Street, Northeast, Washington, D.C.. It was the site of one of President Dwight D. Eisenhower's inaugural balls in 1953, the first concert by The Beatles in the United States in 1964 and several other memorable moments in sports, show business, politics and in the civil rights movement of the 1960s. It had a capacity of over 8,000 people and was a major arena in Washington until the early 1970s.
NRHP reference number: 07000448
Washington Highlands is a residential neighborhood in Southeast Washington, D.C., in the United States. It lies within Ward 8, and is one of the poorest and most crime-ridden sections of the city. Most residents live in large public and low-income apartment complexes, although there are extensive tracts of single-family detached homes in the neighborhood.
Washington Theological Union (WTU), a Roman Catholic graduate school of theology and seminary in Washington, D.C. in the United States, was founded in 1968, stopped accepting students in 2011, and suspended its operation in June 2015. Founded by religious communities of men for presbyteral (priestly) education, their vision expanded to include theological education for religious communities of women as well as deacons, lay men and women and members of other faith traditions from the United States and many foreign countries. It closed its doors because of financial difficulties, low enrollment, and declining vocations. It was housed in a building at 6896 Laurel St. NW.
Wesley Heights is a small affluent neighborhood of Washington, D.C. situated south of Spring Valley. Wesley Heights was founded in 1890 by a land speculation group led by John Waggaman and funded primarily by Charles C. Glover; Wesley Heights was further developed by the brothers William C. and Allison N. Miller during the 1920s. Modern-day Wesley Heights is bordered by Massachusetts Avenue (on the east), Nebraska Avenue (on the north), Battery-Kemble Park (on the west) and Glover Parkway (on the south). Foxhall Road and New Mexico Avenue are the main roadway passing through Wesley Heights. To protect the character of the original historic housing design of Wesley Heights, the Wesley Heights Zoning Overlay was developed and approved by District of Columbia Zoning Commission on July 13, 1992, at the urging of the Wesley Heights Historical Society. Current homeowners and new housing development within the Wesley Heights overlay must meet specific building codes. The Wesley overlay covers areas west of New Mexico Avenue (on the East), Nebraska Avenue (on the North), Battery-Kemble Park (on the West) and Glover Parkway (on the South). The overlay restriction does not cover development on housing located on the former Charles C. Glover country estate. Modern day Wesley Heights is located in Ward 3 Advisory Neighborhood Commission under 3D01.
The West End is a neighborhood in the Northwest quadrant of Washington, D.C., bounded by K Street NW to the south, Rock Creek Park to the west and north, and New Hampshire Avenue NW and 21st Street NW to the east. The West End is so named because it was the westernmost part of the original L'Enfant Plan for the city of Washington, before the annexation of Georgetown. It is home to the embassies of Spain and Qatar as well as the Delegation of the European Union to the United States. The George Washington University and George Washington University Hospital are on the edge of the West End, at Washington Circle.
The Westin Washington, D.C. City Center is a high-rise hotel in the United States capital of Washington, D.C. It rises to 153 feet (47 m), featuring 14 floors.
The Palisades, or simply Palisades, is a neighborhood in Washington, D.C., along the Potomac River, running roughly from the edge of the Georgetown University campus (at Foxhall Road) to the D.C.-Maryland boundary (near Dalecarlia Treatment Plant). MacArthur Boulevard (once called Conduit Road) is the main thoroughfare that passes through the Palisades.
The Tivoli Theatre is a landmark building in the Columbia Heights neighborhood of Washington, D.C. on 14th Street and Park Road Northwest. Originally built as a movie theater, it currently (as of 2006) exhibits live stage productions as the home of the GALA Hispanic Theatre.
NRHP reference number: 85000716
Payne's Cemetery was a 13-acre (53,000 m2) cemetery located in the Benning Ridge neighborhood of Washington, D.C., in the United States. It was founded in 1851 as a privately owned secular cemetery open to the public, but it primarily served the city's African American community. The cemetery was declared abandoned by the city in 1966. About 2,000 bodies at Payne's Cemetery were reinterred at National Harmony Memorial Park cemetery in Prince George's County, Maryland. Two public schools and a recreation center were constructed atop the cemetery in the late 1960s, during which time hundreds of corpses were unearthed and summarily disposed of.
The Embassy Suites Washington, D.C. is a Modernist hotel located at 1250 22nd Street NW in the West End neighborhood of Washington, D.C., in the United States. Part of the Embassy Suites Hotels chain of upscale hotels, the hotel is noted for its eight-story atrium, which contains tropical plants, a waterfall, and a lagoon.
St. Stephen and the Incarnation is an Episcopal parish in the Mount Pleasant neighborhood of Washington, D.C.. It was formed by the merger of St. Stephen's parish and the Church of the Incarnation. It is notable as the site of the second ordination of female priests in the Episcopal Church and the first public celebration of the Eucharist in the Episcopal Church by a female celebrant.
The Lafayette Square Opera House was an Opera House built in 1895, at 717 Madison Place, NW in Washington D.C.. It was dedicated on 30 September 1895 by Lillian Russell, one of the most well known actress of the time, who was there to perform in Tzigane. Reginald De Koven, composer of the opera, led the orchestra at Russell's request. In 1905 it was purchased by the Shuberts and David Belasco and was renamed the Belasco Theatre. The theatre was acquired by the US federal government and used as a warehouse until World War II, when it was operated by the American Theatre Wing as a Stage Door Canteen. During the Korean War, it was used by the United Services Organization to entertain troops. The theater was razed in 1964.
The Georgetown University School of Dentistry was the dental school of Georgetown University, located in Washington, D.C. The school was established in 1901 as a department of the School of Medicine and became a standalone school within the university in 1956. In 1987, the school stopped accepting new students and graduated its last class in 1990.
USGS GNIS ID: 529051
USGS GNIS ID: 531977
USGS GNIS ID: 531966
USGS GNIS ID: 531495
USGS GNIS ID: 531467
USGS GNIS ID: 2458843
USGS GNIS ID: 529063
USGS GNIS ID: 531899
USGS GNIS ID: 2733453
USGS GNIS ID: 531944
USGS GNIS ID: 530884
USGS GNIS ID: 529656
USGS GNIS ID: 528990
USGS GNIS ID: 2458844
USGS GNIS ID: 531582
USGS GNIS ID: 528695
USGS GNIS ID: 530868
USGS GNIS ID: 531616
USGS GNIS ID: 529667
USGS GNIS ID: 528930
USGS GNIS ID: 530047
USGS GNIS ID: 531617
USGS GNIS ID: 531618
USGS GNIS ID: 531070
USGS GNIS ID: 529727
USGS GNIS ID: 529701
USGS GNIS ID: 529048
USGS GNIS ID: 528646
USGS GNIS ID: 528623
USGS GNIS ID: 531907
USGS GNIS ID: 530967
USGS GNIS ID: 531914
USGS GNIS ID: 530369
USGS GNIS ID: 531942
USGS GNIS ID: 2458369
USGS GNIS ID: 528971
USGS GNIS ID: 531515
USGS GNIS ID: 2733400
USGS GNIS ID: 531599
USGS GNIS ID: 530878
USGS GNIS ID: 528979
USGS GNIS ID: 531558
USGS GNIS ID: 531600
USGS GNIS ID: 530037
USGS GNIS ID: 531559
USGS GNIS ID: 530605
USGS GNIS ID: 530866
USGS GNIS ID: 529487
USGS GNIS ID: 531479
USGS GNIS ID: 530038
USGS GNIS ID: 529723
USGS GNIS ID: 528933
USGS GNIS ID: 528570
USGS GNIS ID: 528868
USGS GNIS ID: 528771
USGS GNIS ID: 2733402
USGS GNIS ID: 530962
USGS GNIS ID: 1999064
USGS GNIS ID: 531493
USGS GNIS ID: 529061
USGS GNIS ID: 530567
USGS GNIS ID: 530858
Barnard Hill Park is an urban park located in the Washington, D.C. neighborhood of Woodridge; it also abuts the Maryland city of Mount Rainier. This 21.82 acre (88,294 m²) site is administered by the National Park Service as a part of Rock Creek Park, but is not contiguous with that park. Located on the border with Maryland, it is the eastern end of a corridor of contiguous greenspace from Fort Totten Park to Barnard Hill.
USGS GNIS ID: 528584
USGS GNIS ID: 531974
Mikko, formally Mikko Nordic Fine Foods, is a restaurant and catering service in the Dupont Circle neighborhood of Washington, D.C., United States, specializing in Nordic cuisine. The restaurant was opened in 2018 by Mikko Kosonen, who was previously the executive chef for the Ambassador of Finland for more than 15 years. It is located in a townhouse on R Street NW that Mikko painted in the bright colors of the Nordic flags. It has received praise from food critics, who have highlighted its novelty as one of the only Nordic restaurants in the city.
USGS GNIS ID: 531496
website: https://dpr.dc.gov/page/randall-recreation-center-00; USGS GNIS ID: 531499
USGS GNIS ID: 531970
USGS GNIS ID: 531611
USGS GNIS ID: 531612
USGS GNIS ID: 531959
USGS GNIS ID: 530870
USGS GNIS ID: 531581
USGS GNIS ID: 531613
USGS GNIS ID: 529605
USGS GNIS ID: 531962
USGS GNIS ID: 530500
USGS GNIS ID: 2733454
Holy Trinity School is a Jesuit-run Catholic elementary school located in the Georgetown neighborhood of Washington, DC. It is a ministry of Holy Trinity Catholic Church.
Union Station is a streetcar station, located on H Street NE in the middle of the Hopscotch Bridge. It is located on the H Street/Benning Road Line of the DC Streetcar system.
Meridian Hall is an historic house in the Columbia Heights neighborhood of Washington, D.C.. It has been listed on the District of Columbia Inventory of Historic Sites since 1990 and it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1991 as the Mansion at 2401 15th Street, NW.
NRHP reference number: 90002147
Cooper Field, formerly known as Harbin Field and Multi-Sport Field, is a 2,500-seat multi-purpose stadium in Washington, D.C. on the campus of Georgetown University. The field was originally used for intramurals and was adopted for soccer in 1994 as Harbin Field. The name was changed to "Multi-Sport Field", a placeholder pending final construction, to reflect the football team's use of the field starting in 2003. In 2015, Georgetown changed the name to Cooper Field in honor of a $50 million gift from Peter and Susan Cooper which funded athletic leadership programs at Georgetown and construction upgrades to the field.
Nation (formerly The Capital Ballroom) was a live music/club venue, located at 1015 Half Street SE, in the Navy Yard/Near Southeast neighborhood, of Washington, D.C.
Naylor Gardens is a small neighborhood located in southeast Washington, D.C. It is bounded by Alabama Avenue SE, 30th Street SE, Erie Street SE, 32nd Street SE, Gainesville Street SE, 31st Street SE, and Naylor Road SE. The neighborhood is located in the area south and east of the Anacostia River.
North Portal Estates is an affluent residential neighborhood in Washington, D.C. that forms the northernmost corner of the District of Columbia. North Portal Estates is bounded by North Portal Drive to the south, East Beach Drive to the west and northwest, and Rock Creek Park to the northeast. It is not set on any major thoroughfare in the city, although North Portal Drive is accessible via a rotary intersection on 16th Street NW.
Park View is a neighborhood in central Washington, D.C., immediately north of Howard University.
The Peirce Still House is an historic building located next to Rock Creek Park, at 2400 Tilden Street, Northwest, Washington, D.C.
NRHP reference number: 90001295
Petworth is a residential neighborhood in the Northwest quadrant of Washington, D.C. It is bounded to the east by the Armed Forces Retirement Home and Rock Creek Cemetery, to the west by Arkansas Avenue NW, to the south by Rock Creek Church Road NW and Spring Road NW, and to the north by Kennedy Street NW.
USGS GNIS ID: 529424
Phase 1, also known as The Phase, was a lesbian bar and nightclub at 525 8th Street, Southeast in Washington, D.C. Located one block south of Pennsylvania Avenue, SE near Eastern Market in the Capitol Hill neighborhood, Phase 1 was the oldest continually operating lesbian bar in the United States and the oldest operating LGBT bar in Washington, D.C. until its closure in February, 2016.
The Prince Hall Masonic Temple built in 1922 is an historic Prince Hall Masonic building located at 1000 U Street, NW in Washington, D.C. It is the headquarters of the Prince Hall Grand Lodge District of Columbia, and houses the MWPGM Roland D. Williams Center for Masonic Excellence It is part of the Greater U Street Historic District.
NRHP reference number: 83001418
The Puerto Rico Federal Affairs Administration (PRFAA)—Spanish: Administración de Asuntos Federales de Puerto Rico—is the executive agency of the government of Puerto Rico that represents the government of the island and its dependencies and municipalities before entities of or in the United States, including:
The Mary E. Switzer Memorial Building is a federally owned office building located at 330 C Street SW in Washington, D.C. in the United States. The Egyptian Revival structure was originally named the Railroad Retirement Board Building. It was designed by Charles Klauder and Louis A. Simon and completed on September 15, 1940. Although intended for the Railroad Retirement Board, its first occupant was to the United States Department of War. By Act of Congress, it was renamed the Mary E. Switzer Memorial Building on October 21, 1972, becoming the first federal building to be named for a woman.
NRHP reference number: 07000638
Randle Highlands is a neighborhood in Southeast Washington, D.C., east of the Anacostia River.
River Terrace is an urban cul-de-sac neighborhood in Northeast Washington, D.C., on the eastern bank of the Anacostia River. River Terrace is Washington, DC's only planned unit development that has an unimpeded connection to and relationship with the Anacostia River.
USGS GNIS ID: 531052
USGS GNIS ID: 2733457
USGS GNIS ID: 528638
USGS GNIS ID: 531601
USGS GNIS ID: 530044
USGS GNIS ID: 531952
USGS GNIS ID: 528929
USGS GNIS ID: 529324
USGS GNIS ID: 531980
USGS GNIS ID: 531943
USGS GNIS ID: 531588
USGS GNIS ID: 528649
USGS GNIS ID: 531548
USGS GNIS ID: 529055
USGS GNIS ID: 531452
USGS GNIS ID: 2458408
USGS GNIS ID: 530495
USGS GNIS ID: 531518
USGS GNIS ID: 2458409
USGS GNIS ID: 528957
USGS GNIS ID: 530869
USGS GNIS ID: 530350
USGS GNIS ID: 530669
USGS GNIS ID: 1998978
USGS GNIS ID: 528978
USGS GNIS ID: 529316
USGS GNIS ID: 2733414
USGS GNIS ID: 531910
USGS GNIS ID: 530958
USGS GNIS ID: 531626
USGS GNIS ID: 528907
USGS GNIS ID: 2002634
Julius Lansburgh Furniture Co., Inc., also known as the Old Masonic Temple, is an historic building at 901 F Street, Northwest, Washington, D.C., in the Penn Quarter neighborhood.
NRHP reference number: 74002164; USGS GNIS ID: 2013890
L'Enfant Plaza is a complex of four commercial buildings grouped around a large plaza in the Southwest section of Washington, D.C., United States. Immediately below the plaza and the buildings is the "La Promenade" shopping mall. The plaza is located south of Independence Avenue SW between 12th and 9th Streets SW (9th Street actually runs underneath the centers of the buildings on the easternmost side of the plaza). It was built perpendicular to L'Enfant Promenade, a north-south running street and pedestrian esplanade part of which is directly above 10th Street SW. The plaza is named for Pierre (Peter) Charles L'Enfant, the architect and planner who first designed a street layout for the capital city (see L'Enfant Plan). It was dedicated in 1968 after completion of the north and south buildings.
Levine Music is a non-profit community music center serving the Greater Washington DC metropolitan area. Levine currently operates four campuses, in Northwest DC, Southeast DC, Strathmore MD, and Arlington VA. Levine welcomes students of all ages and abilities, from all economic backgrounds.
The Madison Washington DC, a Hilton Hotel is a luxury hotel located in Washington, D.C., in the United States. Built as The Madison Hotel in 1963, it was known as the Loews Madison Hotel until September 2017, when the hotel was sold and assumed its current name. The hotel is now part of the Hilton Hotels & Resorts chain.
Madison Hall, formerly known as the Flagler Apartments, is a residence hall on the campus of George Washington University (GW) in Washington, D.C. The building was designed by Stern and Tomlinson and was built in 1926. The building is representative of the apartment buildings that were built from the 1920s to the 1940s that have been acquired by the university and converted into dormitories. GW bought the building in 1957 and replaced its manually operated elevators during its renovations. The building was named for both James Madison and Dolley Madison. It was listed on the District of Columbia Inventory of Historic Sites and the National Register of Historic Places in 2010.
NRHP reference number: 10000369
Old Engine Company No. 26, also known as the Langdon Firehouse and Chemical Company No. 3, located at 2715 22nd Street, NE, Washington, D.C. is a historic firehouse built in 1908 and listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2007.
NRHP reference number: 07000536
Corcoran Hall is an academic building on the campus of George Washington University in Washington, D.C. It was listed on the District of Columbia Inventory of Historic Sites in 1987 and the National Register of Historic Places in 1991.
NRHP reference number: 90001545
The Equitable Co-operative Building Association is a historic building, located at 915 F Street, Northwest, Washington, D.C., in the Penn Quarter neighborhood. As of November 2018, it houses the second location of the restaurant Succotash.
NRHP reference number: 94001515
Theological College is the national Roman Catholic diocesan seminary located in Washington, D.C. The seminary is affiliated with the Catholic University of America. The seminary is owned and administered by priests of the Society of Saint-Sulpice. It was founded in 1917.
WRC-TV, virtual channel 4 (UHF digital channel 34), is an NBC owned-and-operated television station licensed to the American capital city of Washington, District of Columbia. Owned by the NBC Owned Television Stations subsidiary of NBCUniversal (itself a subsidiary of Comcast), it is sister to Class A Telemundo owned-and-operated station WZDC-CD (channel 44) and regional sports network NBC Sports Washington. WRC-TV and WZDC-CD share studios and transmitter facilities on Nebraska Avenue in the Tenleytown neighborhood of northwest Washington.
The D.C. Water Main Pumping Station (or simply Main Pumping Station) is located at 125 O Street, SE in the Southeast Quadrant of Washington, D.C. on the Anacostia River between the Washington Navy Yard and Nationals Park.
Sedgwick Gardens, located at 3726 Connecticut Avenue, NW, Washington, DC, is an apartment building on the southwest corner of Connecticut Avenue and Sedgwick Street in Northwest Washington D.C. It is located two blocks from the Cleveland Park Metro. It is listed in the National Register of Historic Places, and represents a significant example of an Art Deco porte-cochere architecture in Washington.
The Seven Buildings were seven townhouses constructed on the northwest corner of Pennsylvania Avenue NW and 19th Street NW in Washington, D.C., in 1796. They were some of the earliest residential structures built in the city. One of the Seven Buildings was the presidential home of President James Madison and his wife, Dolley, after the burning of the White House in 1814, and later the residence of Martin Van Buren shortly before and after his inauguration as President. Most of the buildings were demolished in 1959. The facades of two buildings were incorporated into the Embassy of Mexico in 1986.
The Dupont Circle Building is a landmark building on the south end of Dupont Circle in Washington DC. The entrance is on 1350 Connecticut Avenue NW.
The American University Washington College of Law (WCL) is the law school of American University. It is located on the western side of Tenley Circle in the Tenleytown section of Northwest Washington, D.C., one block south of the Tenleytown-AU Metro station. The school is fully accredited by the American Bar Association, and a member of the AALS.
The Andrew W. Mellon Auditorium (originally named the Departmental Auditorium) is a 750-seat historic Neoclassical auditorium located at 1301 Constitution Avenue NW in Washington, D.C. The auditorium, which connects two wings of the William Jefferson Clinton Federal Building, is owned by the U.S. government but available for use by the public.
The Arts Club of Washington is a club to promote the Arts in Washington, D.C..
Barnaby Woods is a neighborhood in the Northwest quadrant of Washington, D.C., wedged between Rock Creek Park and Montgomery County, Maryland. It is bounded on the north by Aberfoyle Place, on the west by Western Avenue, on the south by Tennyson Street, and on the east by Oregon Avenue. Barnaby Woods is entirely residential, with no commercial zoning whatsoever, and the housing consists primarily of 1930s colonial homes on large parcels of land although on Unicorn Lane NW there are only townhouses.
Barry Farm is a neighborhood in Southeast Washington, D.C., located east of the Anacostia River and is bounded by the Southeast Freeway to the northwest, Suitland Parkway to the northeast and east, and St. Elizabeths Hospital to the south. The neighborhood was renowned as a significant post-Civil-War settlement of free Blacks and freed slaves established by the Freedmen's Bureau. The streets were named to commemorate the Union generals and Radical Republicans who advanced the rights of black Americans during the Civil War and Reconstruction: Howard Road SE for General Oliver O. Howard; Sumner Road SE for Massachusetts Senator Charles Sumner; Wade Road SE for Ohio Senator Benjamin Wade; Pomeroy Road SE for Kansas Senator Samuel C. Pomeroy; and Stevens Road SE for Pennsylvania Congressman Thaddeus Stevens. The neighborhood name is not a reference to the late former mayor of Washington, D.C., Marion Barry, but coincidentally has the same spelling.
Banneker Circle is a partial traffic circle in Southwest Washington, D.C.. The name of the circle commemorates Benjamin Banneker, an African American astronomer and almanac author. In 1791, Banneker assisted in the initial survey of the boundaries of the District of Columbia. The circle is near the south end of L'Enfant Promenade and the intersection of Interstate 395 and Maine Avenue. Benjamin Banneker Park is located in the center of the circle.
Benning is a residential neighborhood located in Ward 7 of Northeast Washington, D.C. It is bounded by East Capitol Street to the south, Minnesota Avenue to the west, and Benning Road (for which the neighborhood is named) on the north and east. It is served by the Benning Road station on the Blue Line of the Washington Metro.
Bloomingdale is a neighborhood in the Northwest quadrant of Washington, D.C., less than two miles (3 km) north of the United States Capitol building. It is a primarily residential neighborhood, with a small commercial center near the intersection of Rhode Island Avenue and First Street NW featuring bars, restaurants, and food markets.
NRHP reference number: 100003129
The Bohemian Caverns, founded in 1926, was a restaurant and jazz nightclub located on the NE Corner of the intersection of 11th Street and U Street NW in Washington, D.C..
Cleveland Park is a residential neighborhood in the Northwest quadrant of Washington, D.C. It is located at 38°56′11″N 77°3′58″W and bounded approximately by Rock Creek Park to the east, Wisconsin and Idaho Avenues to the west, Klingle and Woodley Roads to the south, and Rodman and Tilden Streets to the north. Its main commercial corridor lies along Connecticut Avenue NW, where the eponymous Cleveland Park station of the Washington Metro's Red Line can be found; another commercial corridor lies along Wisconsin Avenue. The neighborhood is known for its many late 19th century homes and the historic Art Deco Uptown Theater. It is also home to the William L. Slayton House and the Park and Shop, built in 1930 and one of the earliest strip malls.
USGS GNIS ID: 529410; NRHP reference number: 87000628
Cloverdale, also known as Pierce Shoemaker House, is an historic Colonial Revival home, located at 2600 and 2608 Tilden Street, Northwest, Washington, D.C., in the Forest Hills neighborhood. It is now known as the Education Office of the Chinese Embassy.
NRHP reference number: 90001115
The Columbian College of Arts and Sciences (known as Columbian College or CCAS) is the college of liberal arts and sciences of the George Washington University, in Washington, D.C. The Columbian College is especially known for its programs in political sciences, history, English, and economics in the United States.
Congress Heights is a residential neighborhood in southeast Washington, D.C., in the United States. The irregularly shaped neighborhood is bounded by the St. Elizabeths Hospital campus, Lebaum Street SE, 4th Street SE, and Newcomb Street SE on the northeast; Shepard Parkway and South Capitol Street on the west; Atlantic Street SE and 1st Street SE (as far as Chesapeake Street SE) on the south; Oxon Run Parkway on the southeast; and Wheeler Street SE and Alabama Avenue SE on the east. Commercial development is heavy along Martin Luther King, Jr. Avenue and Malcolm X Avenue.
Dorsch's White Cross Bakery, also known as the Wonder Bread Factory, is a complex of historic structures located in the Shaw neighborhood of Washington, D.C. It was entered in the District of Columbia Inventory of Historic Sites in 2011 and listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2012.
NRHP reference number: 11001076
Edgewood is a neighborhood located in Ward 5 of Northeast Washington, D.C. Edgewood is bounded by Michigan Avenue NE to the north, Rhode Island Avenue NE to the south, North Capitol Street to the west, and the Washington Metro's Red Line to the east. The eastern boundary originates with the establishment of the former Metropolitan Branch of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad in 1873, creating the physical barrier which today separates Edgewood from Brookland to the east.
The Cuban Embassy in Washington, D.C. is the diplomatic mission of Cuba to the United States of America. It is located at 2630 16th Street Northwest, in the Adams Morgan neighborhood. The building was originally constructed in 1917 as the Cuban embassy, and served in that capacity until the United States severed relations with Cuba in 1961. On July 1, 2015, US President Barack Obama announced the formal restoration of diplomatic relations between the United States and Cuba. The building resumed its role as the Cuban Embassy on July 20, 2015.
The Riggs National Bank, Washington Loan And Trust Company Branch, also known as Washington Loan and Trust, is a historic building at the SW corner of 9th and F Sts., NW, in Washington, D.C.. It currently serves as a hotel.
NRHP reference number: 71001005
The Old Engine Company No. 6 at #438 Massachusetts Ave in Washington, DC is a former District of Columbia Fire Department building which housed Engine 6 between February 17, 1879 and June 27, 1974. The two-story brick building was built during the volunteer period and is the only remaining example from that time.
Professor Joseph Henry is an outdoor bronze sculpture by William Wetmore Story, depicting Joseph Henry, located in front of Washington, D.C.'s Smithsonian Institution Building, in the United States. The sculpture is nine feet tall, with a base made from Maine red granite and Quincy gray granite. It was modeled in 1881, cast the following year, and dedicated on April 19, 1883.
Arboretum is a predominantly residential neighborhood located in Northeast Washington, D.C., tucked into the corner of the National Arboretum.
The Capitol Reflecting Pool is a reflecting pool in Washington, D.C., United States. It lies to the west of the United States Capitol and is the westernmost element of the Capitol grounds (or the easternmost element of the National Mall, according to some reckonings). The Capitol Dome and the Ulysses S. Grant Memorial are reflected in its waters.
Sixteenth Street Heights is a large neighborhood of rowhouses, duplexes, and American Craftsman and American Foursquare detached houses in Northwest Washington, D.C..
Admiral David G. Farragut is a statue in Washington, D.C. honoring David Farragut, a career military officer who served as the first admiral in the United States Navy. The monument is sited in the center of Farragut Square, a city square in downtown Washington, D.C. The statue was sculpted by female artist Vinnie Ream, whose best known works include a statue of Abraham Lincoln and several statues in the National Statuary Hall Collection. The monument was dedicated in 1881 in an extravagant ceremony attended by President James A. Garfield, members of his cabinet, and thousands of spectators. It was the first monument erected in Washington, D.C. in honor of a naval war hero.
The Wetzell-Archbold Farmstead is an historic stone and log farmhouse, located at 4437 Reservoir Road, Northwest, Washington, D.C., in the Foxhall neighborhood.
NRHP reference number: 91000395
The William H.G. FitzGerald Tennis Center is a tennis venue located in Rock Creek Park in Washington, D.C. It is named after William H. G. FitzGerald, a Washington-based private investor who was active in philanthropies and served as United States Ambassador to Ireland. It houses 15 hard courts and 10 clay courts. There are also five indoors courts which are heated and available in winter. The main stadium seats 7,500 spectators, including 31 suites with air conditioning. The center is the home of the Citi Open, an annual ATP World Tour and WTA Tour event.
Woodley Park is a neighborhood in Northwest, Washington, DC. It is bounded on the north by Woodley Road and Klingle Road, on the east by the National Zoo and Rock Creek Park, on the south by Calvert Street, on the southwest by Cleveland Avenue, and on the west by 34th Street.
NRHP reference number: 90000856