The Walker Mountain Cluster is a region in the Jefferson National Forest recognized by The Wilderness Society for its diversity of habitats extending along Walker Mountain. The mountain, part of the Appalachian Mountains in southwest Virginia, borders the western side of the Great Valley of Virginia. Interstate 81 traverses the Great Valley as it takes travelers between Tennessee and West Virginia.
‘Little Dry Run Wilderness Addition is a wildland in the George Washington and Jefferson National Forests of western Virginia that has been recognized by the Wilderness Society as a special place worthy of protection from logging and road construction. The Wilderness Society has designated the area as a "Mountain Treasure".
Crawfish Valley, a wildland in the George Washington and Jefferson National Forests of western Virginia, has been recognized by the Wilderness Society as a special place worthy of protection from logging and road construction.
Breckbill Bible College is a fundamental, Protestant college founded in 1957 by William Wallace Breckbill. It is located in Max Meadows, Virginia. The college offers majors in Bible, Pastoral Ministries, Family and Women's Ministries, Youth Ministries, Christian Education and Missions. The college is owned and operated by the Evangelical Methodist Church of America, headquartered in Kingsport, Tennessee but individuals from other Bible-believing denominations are welcome. Breckbill offers undergrad, graduate and independent study programs.
Horse Heaven is a wildland in the George Washington and Jefferson National Forests of western Virginia, United States, that has been recognized by the Wilderness Society as a special place worthy of protection from logging and road construction. The Wilderness Society has designated the area as a "Mountain Treasure".
Seven Sisters, a wildland in the George Washington and Jefferson National Forests of western Virginia, has been recognized by the Wilderness Society as a special place worthy of protection from logging and road construction. The Wilderness Society has designated the area as a "Mountain Treasure".
The Wytheville Raid or Toland's Raid (July 18, 1863) was an attack by an undersized Union brigade on a Confederate town during the American Civil War. Union Colonel John Toland led a brigade of over 800 men against a Confederate force of about 130 soldiers and 120 civilians. The location of Wytheville, the county seat of Wythe County in southwestern Virginia, had strategic importance because of a nearby lead mine and the railroad that served it. This mine supplied lead for about one third of the Confederate Army's munitions, while the Virginia & Tennessee Railroad transported Confederate troops and supplies; plus telegraph wires along the railroad line were vital for communications. In addition to logistics of moving the lead to bullet manufacturing facilities, this rail line also connected an important salt works of an adjacent county with the wider Confederacy.
Street address: 7164 W. Lee Highway, Rural Retreat, VA 24368 (from Wikidata)
Street address: 187 Dominion Street, Wytheville, VA 24382 (from Wikidata)
USGS GNIS ID: 1482416
USGS GNIS ID: 1487104
USGS GNIS ID: 1490849
USGS GNIS ID: 2724886
USGS GNIS ID: 2724878
USGS GNIS ID: 2724865
Street address: 300 E. Monroe St., Wytheville, VA 24382 (from Wikidata)
Street address: 119 N. Greever St., Rural Retreat, VA 24368 (from Wikidata)
USGS GNIS ID: 1481415
USGS GNIS ID: 1482351
USGS GNIS ID: 1482081
USGS GNIS ID: 1482495
USGS GNIS ID: 1483032
USGS GNIS ID: 1487070
USGS GNIS ID: 1486507
USGS GNIS ID: 1486929
USGS GNIS ID: 1488161
USGS GNIS ID: 1482447
USGS GNIS ID: 1501282
USGS GNIS ID: 1484368
Street address: 1044 Lead Mine Road, Austinville, VA 24312 (from Wikidata)
Haller–Gibboney Rock House is a historic home located at Wytheville, Wythe County, Virginia. It was built in 1822–1823, and is a two-story, five bay late Federal style limestone dwelling. It has a side gable roof and a two-story frame ell terminating in a demi-octagonal end. The Rock House was used as a hospital during the Battle of Wytheville during Civil War. The building houses a museum sponsored by the Wythe County Historical Society.
NRHP reference number: 72001419
WXBX (95.3 FM) is an oldies and classic hits formatted broadcast radio station licensed to Rural Retreat, Virginia, serving the Wytheville and Wythe County, Virginia area. WXBX is owned and operated by Three Rivers Media Corporation.
Loretto is a historic home located at Wytheville, Wythe County, Virginia.
NRHP reference number: 94001093
McGavock Family Cemetery is a historic family cemetery located near Fort Chiswell, Wythe County, Virginia. It is located on a hill above The Mansion at Fort Chiswell. The cemetery includes approximately about 15 Germanic sandstone monuments dating from 1812 to the late-1830s.
NRHP reference number: 79003098
Crockett's Cove Presbyterian Church, also known as Cove Brick Church, is a historic Presbyterian church located near Wytheville, Wythe County, Virginia. The church was built in 1858, and is a small rectangular, Greek Revival style brick church building. The church served as a hospital following the Battle of Cove Mountain.
NRHP reference number: 92001373
The Rural Retreat Depot is a historic railroad station at 105 Railroad Avenue in Rural Retreat, Virginia. Built c. 1870, it is one of the oldest railroad stations in Southwest Virginia, and one of only two to survive from the Reconstruction Era. Its distinctive Italianate features include a pair of square towers, and wide shallow eaves with paired brackets.
Street address: 105 Railroad Avenue (from Wikidata)
NRHP reference number: 14000531
WLOY (660 AM) is an adult standards-formatted broadcast radio station licensed to Rural Retreat, Virginia, serving the Wytheville and Marion area. WLOY is owned and operated by Three Rivers Media.
WYVE is a Full Service-formatted broadcast radio station licensed to Wytheville, Virginia, serving Wytheville and Wythe County, Virginia. WYVE is owned and operated by Three Rivers Media Corporation.
Maj. David Graham House, also known as Cedar Run Farm, is a historic home located at Fosters Falls, Wythe County, Virginia. The house was built in four sections, beginning about 1840 and finishing about 1890. As such its design details reflect styles from late Federal to orientalized Queen Anne. The house is a 2+1⁄2-story, "T"-shaped, wood and brick structure of immense proportions. It is topped by a hipped roof with dormers and features a short hipped roofed tower. Also on the property are the contributing office and commissary, spring house, kitchen, and two barns.
NRHP reference number: 85000300
Fincastle County, Virginia, was created by act of the Virginia General Assembly April 8, 1772 from Botetourt County. As colonial government considered Virginia's western extent to be the Mississippi River, that became Fincastle's western limit. Its eastern boundary was essentially the New River (Wood's River at the time, including what is today the Kanawha River), thus dividing Botetourt County from north to south. The new county encompassed all of present day Kentucky, plus southwestern West Virginia and a slice of Virginia's western "tail". Although no county seat was designated by the act creating the county, the colonial governor ordered it to be placed at the "Lead Mines" of present day Wythe County; the community of Austinville later developed there.
Big Survey Wildlife Management Area is a 7,500-acre (30 km2) Wildlife Management Area in Wythe County, Virginia. The preserve's woodland sits on four mountain ridges and divides the watersheds of Reed and Cripple creeks in the New River Valley. Among the trees and shrubs to be found there are rhododendron, azalea, oak, hickory, and pine.
The Mansion at Fort Chiswell, also known as the McGavock Mansion and Fort Chiswell Mansion, is a historic home located at Fort Chiswell near Max Meadows, Wythe County, Virginia. It was constructed in 1839–1840, by Stephen and Joseph Cloyd McGavock, and is a two-story, Greek Revival style brick dwelling. The front facade features two-story diastyle portico composed of two provincial Greek Doric order columns supporting a pediment. It has a steep gable ends with slightly projecting end chimneys and one-story Italianate bracketed porches. It has a two-story rear ell with a frame gallery and an attached a one-story brick kitchen. It is a private residence, available for tours and events.
NRHP reference number: 71000992
Graham's Forge Mill is a historic grist mill located in the community of Grahams Forge, Wythe County, Virginia. The mill was built about 1890, and is a five-story, rectangular, wood-frame building on a limestone foundation. Atop the cross-gable standing seam metal roof is a cupola with a finial, decorative cresting on the ridges, and a late-Victorian-styled lightning rod. Also on the property are the contributing smokehouse with oven / kettle used for hog scalding, corn crib, grain storage facility, oven / kettle remains, and mill dam.
NRHP reference number: 05000481
Wytheville Community College (WCC) is a public community college in Wytheville, Virginia. It is part of the Virginia Community College System (VCCS) and opened in 1963 as a two-year branch of Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University. WCC joined the VCCS when it was formed in 1967. The college serves the citizens of Bland, Carroll, Grayson, Smyth (Marion and eastward), and Wythe counties, and the City of Galax.
Street address: 1000 E Main Street, Wytheville, VA, 24382-3308 (from Wikidata)
website: https://www.wcc.vccs.edu/, http://www.wc.cc.va.us/, http://www.naxs.com/wcc
Sanders Farm is a historic home and farm located at Max Meadows, Wythe County, Virginia. The Brick House was built about 1880, and is a two-story, "T"-shaped, Queen Anne style brick farmhouse. It features ornamental gables and porches. Also on the property are the contributing cold frame with a stepped front parapet (c. 1900), a vaulted stone spring house, a one-story brick servants quarters (c. 1880), a cinder block store with an upstairs apartment and an accompanying privy (1950s), a frame vehicle repair shop (c. 1920s), a stone reservoir (1880s) two corn crib, a frame gambrel-roofed barn, a one-story tenant house (c. 1920), stone bridge abutments, and the site of the Hematite Iron Company Mine (late 1880s), a complex of rock formations and tram line beds.
NRHP reference number: 03000454
Kimberling Lutheran Cemetery is a historic Lutheran cemetery and national historic district located near Rural Retreat, Wythe County, Virginia. The cemetery includes approximately about 50 early Germanic sandstone monuments dating from 1800 to 1850. The associated Kimberlin Lutheran Church was built in 1913, and is a large frame structure with two unequal-sized towers.
NRHP reference number: 80004231
Wythe County Poorhouse Farm is a historic poor farm complex located at Wytheville, Wythe County, Virginia. The poor farm was established in 1858, and remained in operation until 1957. It was the second poor farm in Wythe County; the first was in operation from 1825 to 1858. The property includes the contributing Queen Anne style overseer's house (c. 1890s), eight pauper homes (c. 1858), a shed (c. 1920), a spring house (c. 1858), smokehouse (c. 1858), wash house (c. 1858), and chicken coop (c. 1900). The property is open to the public for visitation and historical interpretation.
NRHP reference number: 00000557
Trinkle Mansion is an historic building located in Wytheville, Virginia that is now a four-room bed and breakfast. It is a contributing property to the Wytheville Historic District.
Street address: 525 West Main Street (from Wikidata)