Banc Du is a prominent, fairly flat-topped southwards-projecting promontory of Foel Eryr, at about 334m OD at the west end of the Preseli Hills in north Pembrokeshire, Wales. First spotted during an aerial photographic survey of the region in 1990, this hilltop enclosure consists of two non-concentric and incomplete earthworks that define a roughly oval area around the hilltop, amidst a series of cultivation features and abandoned trackways.
Bayvil (Welsh: Y Beifil) is a hamlet and parish in Pembrokeshire, Wales. It is situated in the north of the county, 5 kilometres (3.1 mi) east of Newport. It is in the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park. The parish includes most of the village of Felindre Farchog. Together with the parishes of Monington, Moylgrove and most of Nevern, it constitutes the community of Nevern.
Wiston Castle (Welsh: Castell Cas-wis) is a motte and bailey castle in the Pembrokeshire village of Wiston in south west Wales and is one of the best examples of its type in Wales. The castle and village were founded by Wizo, a Flemish settler who was granted the land by Henry I of England after he had wrested control from the previous owner, Arnulf de Montgomery (who was in revolt against Henry). The castle was captured by the Welsh on several occasions but on each occasion it was retaken. It was abandoned during the thirteenth century when the then owner moved to nearby Picton Castle.
The Afon Marlais is a right-bank tributary of the River Tâf in Pembrokeshire, West Wales. It flows through the Vale of Lampeter to join the Tâf just west of Whitland. The name derives from the Welsh 'marw glais' and signifies a 'stagnant stream'.
Angle Lifeboat Station, Angle, Pembrokeshire, Wales, first opened in 1868 after a letter from the local Coastguard requested a lifeboat station within the Milford Haven Waterway. Originally called Milford Lifeboat Station until 1892 when it was officially changed at a Royal National Lifeboat Institution committee meeting.
The River Nevern (Welsh: Afon Nyfer) is a river in Pembrokeshire, Wales. Its source is north of the village of Crymych and its length is about 11 miles (18 km) to its estuary at Newport, Pembrokeshire.
Trefasser (variations: Tref-Asser, or Trêf Asser, or Asserton; translation: "town" of "Asser") is a hamlet, located to the west of Fishguard and south of Pwll Deri in western Wales. Historically, it is part of the parish of Llanwnda. It lies on the coast of St George's Channel within the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park. A stream named Cledde Goch runs close by.
Tŷ Canol National Nature Reserve is a national nature reserve which lies south of the village of Felindre Farchog, Pembrokeshire, Wales, between the Preseli Mountains and the north Pembrokeshire coast.
The West Blockhouse Point Beacons are three leading light beacons, they perform the same function as a lighthouse and are situated on the promontory to the west side of the entrance to Milford Haven, and lie about a mile north-east of St. Ann’s Head in Pembrokeshire, Wales. They consist of three octagonal reinforced-concrete towers of 30 feet (9.1 m), 37 feet (11 m) and 46 feet (14 m) in height, with sides 1.5 feet (0.46 m) in width, surmounted by cantilevered octagonal concrete platforms on which stand sealed-beam lights. The lights are accessed by ladders which extend up the columns through an opening in the platform. Each column carries a steel daymark painted black and white.
Watwick Point Beacon is a leading light, which is a type of lighthouse, located near Dale, Pembrokeshire, in Wales. It is designed to lead ships into Milford Haven in conjunction with the West Blockhouse Point Beacons. It is situated about half a mile to the north-east of West Blockhouse Point.
Admiralty number: A5286.3
The Hundred of Dewisland (often written "Dewsland") was a hundred in northwest Pembrokeshire, Wales. Formerly the pre-Norman cantref of Pebidiog, it included the city and the peninsula of St Davids. It was named after Dewi Sant, the Welsh name for Saint David.
Crunwere (Welsh: Cronwern - also written Crunwear and Cronwere) is a hamlet and parish in Pembrokeshire, Wales. It is situated 3 km north of the Carmarthen Bay coast, 8 km north-east of Saundersfoot. The parish includes the village of Llanteg and sub-hamlet of Llanteglos 51°45′19″N 4°38′43″W. Together with the village of Amroth, it constitutes the community of Amroth.
Penrhos Cottage is a very small cottage situated to the south east of Maenclochog. It was built as a ty un nos (house built in one night) around 1800, later rebuilt in stone, and last occupied in 1967. The typical North Pembrokeshire thatched cottage was once home to a family of 12, and is almost unchanged since the 19th century, having retained its original Welsh oak furniture. It is the last thatched cottage in Pembrokeshire.
The Pembroke Refinery is an oil refinery situated on the Pembrokeshire coast in Wales at Rhoscrowther in the community of Hundleton. It first came on stream in 1964 and was Regent/Texaco's only British refinery. The refinery occupies a prominent position on the south bank of the Milford Haven Waterway and can be seen for many miles. Around a quarter of the site is within the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park which was created in 1952.
Coetan Arthur dolmen, also known as Arthur's Quoit (not to be confused with Carreg Coetan Arthur, near Newport) is the remains of a Neolithic burial chamber (also known as a quoit). It dates from around 3000 BCE. The site, situated on the hillside close to St Davids Head in Pembrokeshire, Wales, is the collapsed chamber of what is presumed to be a passage grave which also has a round barrow. The massive capstone measures approximately 6 metres by 2.5 metres and is supported on one side by an orthostat approximately 1.5 metres in height.
Cresswell Castle is a castle half a mile north of the village of Cresswell Quay, Pembrokeshire, west Wales. It is situated on the banks of the River Cresswell in what is currently private land. The buildings were originally a 13th-century stone fortified manorial complex, founded by the Augustinian Priory of Haverfordwest.
Dinas Island (Welsh: Ynys Dinas) is a peninsula, partially detached from the mainland, in the community of Dinas Cross between Fishguard and Newport, Pembrokeshire, in southwest Wales. A triangulation point shows 466 feet (142 m) above sea level at Pen-y-fan. Although Dinas Head is the northernmost part of the promontory where the cliffs meet the sea, the name is sometimes loosely used to refer to this highest point. Dinas Island is contained within the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park and the headland is under the care of the National Trust.
The Hundred of Dungleddy was a hundred in the centre of Pembrokeshire, Wales. It had its origins in the pre-Norman cantref of Deugleddyf. It derives its Welsh name from its position between the two branches of the River Cleddau (Cleddyf): the English form is a corruption of the Welsh. The area of the cantref was around 185 km2: it was the smallest of the seven cantrefi of Dyfed.
Stack Rock Fort is a fort built on a small island in the Milford Haven Waterway, Pembrokeshire. A 3-gun fort was built between 1850 and 1852, and then upgraded in 1859 with a new building that completely encased the original gun tower. It is now a Grade II* listed building.
St Elvis (Welsh: Llaneilfyw, [ɬanəilvəu]) is a parish in Pembrokeshire, Wales, about 4 miles (6 km) east of St David's. At 200 acres (81 ha) it is one of the smallest parishes in Wales but its rector was previously the superior of the vicar of the church at Solva (today dependent upon nearby Whitchurch instead). The parish of Whitchurch and St Elvis together form the community of Solva.
Tasker Milward Voluntary Controlled School was a secondary school in Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire, South West Wales, that taught through the medium of English. It had 750 students on roll as of 2016, which is significantly fewer than in 2009 when 1,100 were on roll. It was ranked red by the Welsh government categorisation scheme in 2015, but made considerable improvements in 2016.). The Sixth Form was a member of the "Haverfordwest federation", which linked it with Sir Thomas Picton School and Pembrokeshire College. The school closed in 2018 when it merged with Sir Thomas Picton School to form Haverfordwest High VC School.
Castellan is an ancient hamlet and, until 1974, was a parish in the Hundred of Kilgerran, Pembrokeshire, Wales. It is situated in the north of the county on the slopes of Frenni Fawr, one mile (2 km) north of Crymych and included much of the village of Blaenffos.
Milford Haven Refinery was an oil refinery situated on the Pembrokeshire coast in Wales, United Kingdom. The refinery began operating in 1973 under Amoco's ownership, but in its final days it was owned by Murco Petroleum. The closure of the refinery was announced in November 2014. The site was sold to Puma Energy in 2015 for use as a petroleum storage and distribution terminal.
Dowrog Common (Welsh: Comin Dowrog) is a Site of Special Scientific Interest (or SSSI) in Pembrokeshire, South Wales. It has been designated as a Site of Special Scientific Interest since January 1954 in an attempt to protect its fragile biological elements. The site has an area of 100.86 hectares and is managed by The Wildlife Trust of South & West Wales.
Portheiddy Moor is a Site of Special Scientific Interest (or SSSI) a little to the east of Abereiddy in Pembrokeshire, South Wales. It has been designated as a Site of Special Scientific Interest since July 1987 in an attempt to protect its fragile biological elements: a "diverse example of grazed fen-meadow with springs, swamp and tall fen amongst extensive flushed communities". The site has an area of 9.5 hectares and is managed by Natural Resources Wales.
Castlemartin was a hundred in Pembrokeshire, Wales. Initially created by the Marcher Lords of Pembroke in the 14th century from the western part of the pre-Norman cantref of Penfro, it was confirmed by the Laws in Wales Acts 1535-1542. The hundred, with its capital at Pembroke was early settled by English and Scandinavians, and was a centre of the Norman/English "plantation" in the 12th century. Since then it has been mostly English-speaking, and part of Little England beyond Wales.
Cilrhedyn is a hamlet and parish in the counties of Carmarthenshire and Pembrokeshire, Wales, in the hill country to the south of the Teifi valley. The Afon Cych divides it into two unequal parts: West Cilrhedyn, Pembrokeshire and East Cilrhedyn, Carmarthenshire. The parish church is in West Cilrhedyn.
Corsydd Llangloffan is a Site of Special Scientific Interest (or SSSI) in Pembrokeshire, South Wales. It has been designated as a Site of Special Scientific Interest since February 1992 in an attempt to protect its fragile biological elements. The site has an area of 56.7 hectares and is managed by Natural Resources Wales.
The Hundred of Cilgerran (often written "Kilgerran") was a hundred in the north of Pembrokeshire, Wales. It was formed by the Act of Union of 1536 from the commote of the pre-Norman cantref of Emlyn included by the Act in Pembrokeshire and is otherwise called in Welsh Emlyn Is Cuch (Emlyn below the River Cuch), with the addition of the Cemais parish of Llantood. The area of the commote was about 106 km2: that of the hundred was 113 km2.
Dwrhyd Pit is a Site of Special Scientific Interest (or SSSI) in Pembrokeshire, South Wales. It has been designated as a Site of Special Scientific Interest since January 1957 in an attempt to protect its fragile geological elements. The site has an area of 0.18 hectares and is managed by Natural Resources Wales.
Esgyrn Bottom is a Site of Special Scientific Interest (or SSSI) in Pembrokeshire, South Wales. It has been designated as a Site of Special Scientific Interest since January 1957 in an attempt to protect its fragile biological and geological elements. The site has an area of 49.9 hectares and is managed by Natural Resources Wales.
Gallt Llanerch - Coed Gelli-deg is a Site of Special Scientific Interest (or SSSI) in the Gwaun Valley, Pembrokeshire, South Wales. It has been designated as a Site of Special Scientific Interest since January 1954 in an attempt to protect its fragile biological elements. The site has an area of 30.47 hectares and is managed by Natural Resources Wales.
Pembroke B Power Station is a 2,200 MWe natural gas-fired power station near Pembroke in Wales. The power station was officially opened on 19 September 2012 and is the largest gas-fired power station in Europe. It is also the largest power station to be built in the UK since Drax power station came online in 1986. Pembroke Power Station currently generates enough power to supply 3.5 million homes and businesses.
Royal Air Force St Davids or more simply RAF St Davids is a former Royal Air Force station, near the city of St Davids, Wales.
Felin Llwyngwair is a Site of Special Scientific Interest (or SSSI) near Newport in Pembrokeshire, South Wales. It was designated a SSSI (ID2580, code 32WE3) in October 2000 to protect its fragile biological elements. The site has an area of 0.01 hectares and is managed by Natural Resources Wales.
Park House Outbuildings, Stackpole is a Site of Special Scientific Interest (or SSSI) in Pembrokeshire, South Wales, 4 kilometres (2.5 mi) south of Pembroke, and is of special interest as the largest known nursery roosts of lesser horseshoe bats Rhinolophus hipposideros in Pembrokeshire. It has been designated as a Site of Special Scientific Interest since February 1998 in an attempt to protect its fragile biological elements. The site has an area of 0.01 hectares (0.025 acres) and is managed by Natural Resources Wales.
Coedcanlas is a small parish in Pembrokeshire, Wales, on the eastern shore of the Daugleddau estuary, 5 miles (8.0 km) north of Pembroke, in the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park. Together with the parishes of Martletwy, Minwear, Newton North and Lawrenny, it constitutes the community of Martletwy.
Newport Castle (Welsh: Castell Trefdraeth) is a castle located in Newport, Pembrokeshire, Wales. The earliest castle on the site was built in the 13th century, and the present structure was built in the 19th century and is a private residence.
The Diocese of St Davids is a diocese of the Church in Wales, a church of the Anglican Communion. The diocese covers the historic extent of Ceredigion, Carmarthenshire and Pembrokeshire, together with a small part of western Glamorgan. The episcopal see is the Cathedral Church of St David in the City of St Davids, Pembrokeshire. The present cathedral, which was begun in 1181, stands on the site of a monastery founded in the 6th century by Saint David.
Ceibwr Bay (Welsh: Bae Ceibwr) is a bay opening into the Irish Sea in Pembrokeshire, west Wales. It is about 7 km west of Cardigan, and 3 km south of the headland of Cemaes Head. It is owned by the National Trust, within the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park and on the Pembrokeshire Coast Path.
Cemais Is Nyfer was a mediaeval commote in the Dyfed cantref of Cemais, Wales. It consisted of the territory between the rivers Nyfer and Teifi, and comprised the parishes of Eglwyswrw, Monington, St. Dogmaels, Llanfair-Nant-Gwyn, Llantood, Moylgrove and Bayvil, and parts of Nevern and Meline in what is now Pembrokeshire. Its area was about 100 km² and its civil and ecclesiastical headquarters were at Nevern.
Marloes Mere is a Site of Special Scientific Interest (or SSSI) in Pembrokeshire, South Wales. It has been designated as a Site of Special Scientific Interest since November 1985 in an attempt to protect its fragile biological elements. The site has an area of 17.17 hectares and is managed by Natural Resources Wales.
Robeston Wathen Quarries is a Site of Special Scientific Interest (or SSSI) in Pembrokeshire, South Wales, immediately to the north of the village of Robeston Wathen. It has been designated as a Site of Special Scientific Interest since January 1967 in an attempt to protect its fragile geological elements. The site has an area of 1.64 hectares and is managed by Natural Resources Wales.
Cresselly House is a grade II* listed Georgian country house in the small village of Cresselly, near Kilgetty, Pembrokeshire. It now also serves as a country house hotel and wedding venue.
Cwm Bach, Sychpant is a Site of Special Scientific Interest (or "SSSI") in Pembrokeshire, South Wales. It has been designated as a Site of Special Scientific Interest since February 1989 in an attempt to protect its fragile biological elements. The site has an area of 8.67 hectares and is managed by Natural Resources Wales.
Stackpole Quay - Trewent Point is a cliff on the Castlemartin Peninsula of South Pembrokeshire South Wales and is a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI). It has been designated as a SSSI since January 1977 in an attempt to protect its fragile biological and geological elements. The site has an area of 64.15 hectares and is managed by Natural Resources Wales.
Cnapan, also known variously as Cnapan Country House or Cnapan Restaurant and Bed & Breakfast, is a Grade II listed hotel and restaurant in Newport, Pembrokeshire. It lies along the main road of the town, East Street, which is part of the A487 road, opposite The Golden Lion. It is regularly featured in The Good Hotel Guide and The Good Food Guide.
Dyffryn Gwaun is a Site of Special Scientific Interest (or SSSI) in Pembrokeshire, South Wales. It has been designated as a Site of Special Scientific Interest since January 1954 in an attempt to protect its fragile biological elements. The site has an area of 25.36 hectares and is managed by Natural Resources Wales.
The Tudor Merchant's House is a 15th-century town house located in Tenby, Pembrokeshire, in south west Wales.
St Thomas à Becket Chapel is a Grade II listed building situated in the town of Milford Haven. It was constructed in 1180 and dedicated to St Thomas Becket. It commanded fine views of the Haven estuary, situated on the north bank in open space. Along with two other chapels, now disappeared, at Herbrandston and St Anne's Head, it functioned not only as a Catholic place of worship, but also as a Beacon Chapel, or lighthouse to sailors. The chapel enjoyed a dependent relationship with the nearby Pill Priory. By the 17th century the structure was in ruins, when it was occupied by Parliamentarian forces in 1644. It later acquired a function as storage for the battery located on the Rath.
Clegyr Boia, or Clegyr Fwya, is a prehistoric site on the St David's peninsula, Pembrokeshire, Wales, 33 to 65 feet (10 to 20 m) above the surrounding area. It is about 1 mile (1.6 km) west of St Davids, and about 0.75 miles (1.21 km) east of the Pembrokeshire coast. The hilltop's rocky outcrop contains evidence of Neolithic and Iron Age settlements. The site's nearest water source was Ffynnon Lygaid, a 1 foot (0.30 m) deep pool, fed by a spring. Near the base of the outcrop's southern side, the pool is in a small hollow, measuring about 1 foot (0.30 m) by 8 inches (0.20 m). The site was excavated in 1902 by Sabine Baring-Gould, and by Audrey Williams, for the Ancient Monuments Inspectorate, in 1943.
Allt Pontfaen - Coed Gelli-fawr is a Site of Special Scientific Interest (or SSSI) in Pembrokeshire, South Wales which starts at Allt Pontfaen and finishes at Coed Gelli-fawr. It has been designated as a Site of Special Scientific Interest since January 1954 in an attempt to protect its fragile biological elements. The site has an area of 73.12 hectares and is managed by Natural Resources Wales.
Crymmych Arms was a railway station in Crymych, Pembrokeshire, West Wales, on the Whitland and Cardigan line. It took its name from a nearby pub which, until the arrival of the railway, was the only building in the area.
Wallis Moor is a Site of Special Scientific Interest (or SSSI) 12 km to the north of Haverfordwest near the village of Ambleston in Pembrokeshire, South Wales. It has been designated as a Site of Special Scientific Interest since March 1998 in an attempt to protect its fragile biological elements. The site has an area of 63.22 hectares and is managed by Natural Resources Wales.
Castlemartin Corse is a Site of Special Scientific Interest (or SSSI) in Pembrokeshire, South Wales. It has been designated as a Site of Special Scientific Interest since February 1985 in an attempt to protect its fragile biological elements. The site has an area of 30.4 hectares (75 acres) and is managed by Natural Resources Wales.
Dovecote is a Grade II*–listed dovecote in the community of Angle, Pembrokeshire, Wales, which dates back to the 15th century. It was listed on 14 May 1970 by Cadw.
Strumble Head (Welsh: Pen Strwmbl) is a rocky headland in the community of Pencaer in Pembrokeshire, Wales, within the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park. It marks the southern limit of Cardigan Bay. Three islands lie off the head: Ynys Meicel – 112 feet (34 m) – Ynys Onnen and Carreg Onnen.
Fort Hubberstone, on the west side of Milford Haven, Pembrokeshire, is a Grade II* Listed Building which belongs to a series of forts built as part of the inner line of defence of the Haven following the Royal Commission on the Defence of the United Kingdom. Together with Popton Fort on the opposite shore, it provided an interlocking field of fire, and represented the last layer of defence before reaching the Royal Naval dockyard at Pembroke Dock. Construction began in 1860 and was completed in 1863 at a cost of £55,000. It is a large battery, with eleven guns in casemates, eight in an open battery above, with another nine in an open flank battery, and a large barracks to the rear. It is a D-shaped structure, with a bomb-proof roof which protected the barracks and other buildings from mortar projectiles. On its landward side, it was protected by a deep ditch, and on the seaward side by a counter-scarp gallery. The associated casemate battery is located further down the headland and separated from the fort.
The Garrison Chapel is a chapel to the Royal Dockyard at Pembroke Dock in Pembrokeshire, Wales. It was designed by George Ledwell Taylor, Surveyor of Buildings to the Navy Board, in the early 1830s and was completed in 1834–35. Originally, £7,944 was allotted in the 1829–30 Naval Estimates, but this was reduced to £4,000 by the Controller of the Navy Board. A year after it was completed, another £3,500 was provided to build galleries to accommodate the increased numbers attending and to create an additional entrance.
The Gulf Refinery at Milford Haven was an oil refinery situated on the Pembrokeshire coast in Wales. The refinery, originally owned by Gulf Oil, was opened in August 1968 by Queen Elizabeth II. The plant, constructed at a cost of approximately £35 million, produced a range of petroleum products and occupied an area of 300 acres (121.4 ha). Up to 119,000 barrels (18,900 m3) of oil could be processed a day at the facility.
Hakin Dock railway station was a railway station in the town of Milford Haven in Pembrokeshire, Wales. Located within the commercial docks at Hakin, it was constructed to service an anticipated transatlantic trade between Milford Haven and New York City. It was the terminus of the Milford Junction Railway, itself a branch of the South Wales Railway. Opened in 1888, it was short lived and was no longer operating as a station for passengers by the early 20th century.
The Esso Refinery at Milford Haven was an oil refinery situated on the Pembrokeshire coast in Wales. Construction started in 1957 and the refinery was opened in 1960 by the Duke of Edinburgh. Construction cost £18 million and the refinery had the initial capacity to process 4.5 million tons of crude oil a year.
The Fishguard & Goodwick Marina is a planned development within the harbour of the Welsh towns of Fishguard and Goodwick in Pembrokeshire, south-west Wales. In April 2012 Pembrokeshire County Council revealed that they had given outline planning permission for the development of a marina to be located in the small town of Goodwick within Fishguard Harbour. The initial planning application was submitted to Pembrokeshire County Council in October 2011 by Conygar who wish to invest £100 million into the project.
St Daniel's Church is a Grade I-listed church in Pembroke, Wales, situated on a hill approximately 1.1 kilometres (0.68 mi) south of Pembroke Castle. One of the oldest churches in the area, it is located on an ancient, pre-Norman site associated with Saint Deiniol throughout the 6th century. The saint to whom it is dedicated is Deiniol, who according to tradition was the first Bishop of Bangor. It is claimed that Deiniol had a hermit's cell on the site, pre-dating the church, and the site has also been linked to Saint David. The site gained a reputation for miraculous healing, and became a shrine for pilgrims who would drink from the well. The current structure dates to the 14th or 15th century. It underwent repair in 1780, and again in 1849 and 1893. It became a Grade I-listed building on 10 February 1951. Today, the church, a small structure built of rubble stone with a slate roof, is disused. It has a nave, a chancel, and a spire, with a tower on the western side.
River Syfynwy (Welsh: Afon Syfynwy, Syfnwy or Syfni) is a river entirely within Pembrokeshire, Wales, rising in the Preseli Hills, feeding the Rosebush and Llys y Fran reservoirs and joining the Eastern Cleddau to the south. It is a river considered to be important as an ecological indicator and part is in a site of special scientific interest.
The Tenby town walls are Grade I-listed medieval defensive structures around the town of Tenby in Pembrokeshire. They are assessed as one of the most important surviving medieval city walls in Britain. The walls were built in the 13th century by the Earls of Pembroke and improved in the 1450s. They were last known to have been repaired in 1588 and have declined thereafter. Most of the town's gates were demolished beginning in the 18th century and only one survives.
Little and Broad Haven Lifeboat Station is a Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI) lifeboat station in Pembrokeshire, West Wales. The station was opened in 1882 at Little Haven where it operated until 1921. It reopened in 1967 under its present name, and serves the area in St Bride's Bay surrounding Little Haven and Broad Haven resorts. When it was built it was the RNLI's smallest lifeboat station.
Paterchurch Tower is a Grade I-listed medieval fortified tower in Pembroke Dock, Pembrokeshire, Wales. It received its name from one of the families that owned the land. While its exact function is not known, it probably served as a pele tower for the manorial complex (now demolished) in which it was situated.
Pembroke's town walls are a Grade II*-listed medieval defensive structure around the town of Pembroke, Pembrokeshire, Wales. They were probably built beginning in the late 13th century by the Earls of Pembroke, although it is uncertain when they were finished. Most of the walls have not survived, but there are visible sections and two bastions exist, one with a restored late 18th-century gazebo atop it.
Amroth Castle is a Grade I listed building in Pembrokeshire, Wales. It is a castellated country house dating mainly from the 18th century built on an earlier, probably 15th century, residence, and is now a holiday venue.
Porth-y-Tŵr (Welsh for Tower Gate) is a gatehouse and bell tower overlooking St Davids Cathedral in the small city of St Davids, Pembrokeshire, Wales, UK. It is the sole survivor of four medieval gates to the walled Cathedral Close. The 13th-century octagonal tower, adjoining the gateway, now contains the cathedral's bells.
Upton Chapel, close by Upton Castle, near Cosheston, Pembrokeshire, is dedicated to Saint Giles and is a Grade I listed building. Dating from the 12th or 13th century, it consists of a small nave and chancel. Amongst the memorials in the chapel are the effigies of William Malefant (died in 1362) wearing chain mail and another of a female member of the Malefant family. There are several memorials to local families. There is a small piscina and a Jacobean pulpit. The masonry walls are from local rubble stone. The roofs are slated with tile ridges and there is a bellcote at the west end. The interior was restored in 1978 by the owner of the castle.
Haroldston St Issells is a parish in Pembrokeshire, on the upper reaches of the River Cleddau, 1 mile SE of Haverfordwest. Its area is 1,104 acres (447 ha); Haroldston Manor, which is now a ruin, is the old seat of the Harrolds and the Perrots, in particular Sir John Perrot, who is thought to be the illegitimate son of Henry VIII. Upper and Lower Haroldston are 2 ancient farmhouses that were probably part of the Haroldston estate. Lower Haroldston is still a working farm, whilst Upper Haroldston is a domestic dwelling.
Llawhaden Bridge is a Grade II* listed arch bridge spanning the Eastern Cleddau river near Llawhaden village in Pembrokeshire, Wales. The present structure dates from the mid-18th century.
Bethesda is a small village in the community of Llawhaden, Pembrokeshire, Wales. It lies on a bend of the B4313 road in the valley of the River Cleddau a few miles north north west of Narberth.
Lamphey Bishop's Palace or Lamphey Palace is a ruined medieval building complex in Lamphey, Pembrokeshire and is a scheduled ancient monument which has had Grade I Listed building designation since May 1970. In the past, it has also been known as Lamphey Court.
Lamphey Court is a Greek revival mansion north of the village of Lamphey, Pembrokeshire, South Wales built in 1823 by Charles Delamotte Mathias from the profits of slavery on the tea plantations of Jamaica. It was designated in 1970 as an important Greek revival house of high architectural quality. After restorations and extensions Lamphey Court was re-opened by the present owners in 1980. It currently operates as a Best Western hotel.
The Pele Tower in Angle, Pembrokeshire, in southwest Wales is a Grade I-listed stone fortified tower dating back to the 14th century and is the only remaining example of a pele tower in Wales.
St Mary’s Church, Carew, is the parish church of Carew, Pembrokeshire, Wales and a Grade I listed building. Lewis’s Topographical Dictionary of Wales states that the church is dedicated to St John the Baptist, but the reason for this is unclear. The church is in the small village of Carew Cheriton in the southwest of the parish.
St. Mary's Church, Castlemartin, located in the broad Kilcullen area of County Kildare, Ireland, is the first medieval church in Ireland to have been restored to full working order. The small stone Roman Catholic church, with accompanying burial ground, lies within Castlemartin Estate, which belonged for many years to media magnate Tony O'Reilly; O'Reilly paid for the restoration in 1979–1980, after which the church was reconsecrated in August 1981 by Archbishop Dermot Ryan. There has been a church on this site for over 800 years.
Hodgeston Parish Church is a redundant church in the village of Hodgeston, some 2 kilometres (1.2 mi) southeast of Lamphey, Pembrokeshire, Wales. It is designated by Cadw as a Grade II* listed building, and is under the care of the Friends of Friendless Churches.
The River Alun is a small river in northwest Pembrokeshire, Wales, which rises near Tretio Common and flows southwestwards to St Davids to empty into St Bride's Bay at the rocky inlet of Porth Clais.
New Bridge Meadow Stadium is a multi-purpose stadium in Haverfordwest, Wales. It is currently used mostly for football matches and is the home ground of Haverfordwest County F.C.. The stadium holds 2,000 people.
Kilgetty (Welsh: Cilgeti; Welsh pronunciation) is a village immediately north of Saundersfoot in Pembrokeshire, Wales, at the junction of the A477 between St. Clears and Pembroke Dock and the A478 between Tenby and Cardigan.
RAF Manorbier was a Royal Air Force airfield located near the village of Manorbier in Pembrokeshire, Wales. The site was first used in 1933 as mixed civilian/military airfield and was the base for ‘Y’ Flight of No.1 Anti-Aircraft Command unit in 1937, using de Havilland DH.82 Queen Bee unmanned radio-controlled target drone.
Penally Abbey is an old rectory, now the Penally Abbey Country House Hotel and Restaurant overlooking Carmarthen Bay in the village of Penally, about 1.5 miles from Tenby, Pembrokeshire, Wales. It is an AA 3-star hotel, located off the A4139 road. It was once owned by the Jameson family of Irish whiskey distillers.
The River Gwaun (Welsh: Afon Gwaun, "Gwaun" meaning 'marsh, moor') is a river in Pembrokeshire, West Wales, which flows west to the sea at Fishguard (Welsh: Abergwaun - 'mouth of the Gwaun').
Hubberston is a coastal village in Pembrokeshire, Wales. It belongs to the parish of Hubberston in the historical hundred of Roose. It is located directly to the west of the larger town of Milford Haven, and is a district of the community of Milford Haven. It is adjacent to the village of Hakin. It had a population of 2,390 inhabitants in 2001. It is mainly residential in nature.
Melin Tregwynt (Tregwynt Mill) is a woollen mill in the hamlet of Tregwynt in the parish of Granston, Pembrokeshire, Wales. A mill has stood on this site since 1819 taking fleeces from the sheep farms of the area, carding and spinning them into woollen yarn and then weaving the yarn into cloth and blankets. The mill today makes a line of upmarket blankets, cushions, clothing and accessories.
Llechryd (Welsh pronunciation: [ɬɛxrɪd]) is a rural village on the A484 road approximately 3 miles (4.8 km) from Cardigan, Ceredigion, Wales. Situated on the north bank of the tidal River Teifi, Llechryd is the first point upstream of Cardigan where crossing is possible. Most of the village has developed along the A484, with some estates branching off into the valley.
Milford Haven Museum is a maritime and heritage museum in Milford Haven, Pembrokeshire. Opened in 1991, it has a heavy focus on the maritime history of the town, with exhibitions which explore the fishing and oil industries in the area. The collection also contains information relating to the railway industry in the area, Milford at war, the shipbuilding industry and the Liquefied Natural Gas process. Summer 2013 saw the arrival of a rare Bronze Age wooden trough, discovered locally at St Botolphs in 2006.
Street address: The Old Custom House, The Docks, Milford Haven, Pembrokeshire (Sir Benfro) SA73 3AF Wales (from Wikidata)
Minwear is a former parish and village in the community of Martletwy, in the county of Pembrokeshire, Wales, on the Eastern Cleddau river, 4+1⁄2 miles (7.2 km) southwest of the town of Narberth. Its history can be traced back to the 12th century. Wood from Minwear Forest supported local industries from mediaeval times to the 19th century.
Martin’s Haven is a small bay in Pembrokeshire, Wales, UK, on the Dale Peninsula, with views across St Bride's Bay towards St David's. Its shingle beach has a stone slipway which acts as an embarkation point for the ferry which visits the nearby island of Skomer, a national nature reserve, during summer. Martin’s Haven lies within the Skomer Marine Conservation Zone and is popular for scuba diving. Grey seals can be seen basking on the rocks. The land is owned by the National Trust.
Malator is a house in Druidston, Pembrokeshire, Wales, built in the Earth house architectural style. It was built for, and owned by, former Member of Parliament Bob Marshall-Andrews. The architectural firm who designed the building was Future Systems. Malator has appeared on television series such as the More4 programme Homes by the Sea, and has been received positively by critics with Architectural Digest listing it as one of the most innovative houses of the 20th century.
Penygroes (Welsh pronunciation) is a scattered rural hamlet in north Pembrokeshire, Wales, in the northern foothills of the Preseli Mountains. It is in the parish of Eglwyswen, the community of Crymych and the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park.
Pembroke Dock Military Cemetery is a burial ground for military personnel. It is located in Llanion, Pembroke Dock in Wales. It is the only dedicated military cemetery in Wales.
Greenway, also referred to as New Inn, is a hamlet on the southern slopes of the Preseli Mountains in Pembrokeshire, Wales. It sits on the crossroads between the B4329 old Cardigan to Haverfordwest turnpike and the B4313 road between Fishguard and Narberth and is the site of a former inn serving travellers on these routes, now a private dwelling. Greenway is in the parish of Morvil and the community of Puncheston, and the nearest village is Rosebush.
Rudbaxton Rath is a ring-shaped enclosure together with a ringed keep in the parish of Rudbaxton, Pembrokeshire, Wales. It is situated roughly 1.54 km northeast of Crundale and about 2.39 km east of Haverfordwest Aerodrome.
Crosswell (Welsh: Fynnongroes) is a hamlet on the B4329 road in the community of Eglwyswrw, Pembrokeshire, Wales, in the parish of Meline. It is 7 miles (11 km) southwest of Cardigan, 17 miles (27 km) northeast of Haverfordwest and 11 miles (18 km) east of Fishguard.
Brynberian is a small village in north Pembrokeshire, Wales, in the foothills of the Preseli Mountains in the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park. It is in the community of Eglwyswrw and the parish of Nevern, and is on the B4329 road between Crosswell and Tafarn y Bwlch. Afon Brynberian flows through the village under an ancient bridge and joins the River Nevern to the north.
Upton Castle is a 13th-century castle or fortified manor house with an associated chapel, located near Cosheston, Pembrokeshire in Wales. Although in private ownership, the gardens are open to the public.
Cwmcych, Cwm Cych or Glyn Cuch (English: Valley of the river Cych) is a small village in the upper Cych valley straddling the border between Carmarthenshire and Pembrokeshire, Wales, in the community of Manordeifi.
The Defensible Barracks at Pembroke Dock, is a Grade II*-listed, Victorian-era fortification and barracks in Pembrokeshire, Wales. It is a 20-sided stone fort surrounded by a dry moat with masonry walls. A parade ground occupies the centre of the fort. It was built in the mid-1840s to house the Royal Marines based in Pembroke Dockyard and to protect the dockyard.
Gelli Bridge is a Grade II listed two-arch bridge spanning the River Syfynwy a few yards before its confluence with the Eastern Cleddau. The date of the bridge is not known, though projecting keystones suggest it is 18th century. It has been modified since its original construction.
Royal Air Force Pembroke Dock or more simply RAF Pembroke Dock was a Royal Air Force Seaplane and Flying Boat station located at Pembroke Dock, Pembrokeshire, Wales. The Royal Navy contingent left in 1926 with the Royal Air Force occupying the site from 1 January 1930. During the initial stages of the Second World War, it became the home of two Dutch flying boats and their squadron personnel as well as hosting RAF, Fleet Air Arm, Canadian, Royal Australian Air Force and United States naval crews.
Castell canoloesol ger Nanhyfer, Sir Benfro, yw Castell Nanhyfer. Un o gestyll y Normaniaid ydoedd ar y dechrau, ond cafodd ei gipio a'i ailgodi gan dywysogion Deheubarth. Mae'n bosibl y bu bryngaer o Oes yr Haearn ar y safle cyn hynny.
Street address: Narberth Community Library, St James Street, Narberth, Pembrokeshire, SA67 7BU, Wales (from Wikidata)
Eglwys a phlwyf yng nghymuned Castellmartin 3 milltir i'r de-orllewin o dref Penfro yn Sir Benfro ydy Llan Pedrog neu Llanbedrog (Saesneg: St Petrox), sydd wedi'i henwi ar ôl Sant Pedrog (neu Petroc neu Sant Petrocus) ac sy'n dyddio nôl i'r 13g. Cyfeirnod OS: SR970 973.
Siambrau claddu cynhanesyddol yn Sir Benfro yw Cerrig y Gof. Mae'n gorwedd yn y bryniau ger Trefdraeth yng ngogledd y sir, ger bryngaer Carn Ingli. Mae'n dyddio o Oes yr Efydd.
Street address: Hamilton Terrace, Milford Haven, SA73 3AL (from Wikidata)
Street address: Spring Gardens, Haverfordwest, SA61 2EJ (from Wikidata)
St Michael's Church is a Grade I listed building and parish church in the community and parish of Rudbaxton in Pembrokeshire, Wales. The building dates from the 15th century, and has a 12th-century font. It was listed on 1 March 1963 as a fine example of a substantial mediaeval double-nave church with important memorials.
Mae Rhydwilym yn un o gapeli cynharaf y Bedyddwyr, yng nghefngwlad Sir Benfro, gorllewin Cymru. Fe'i corfforwyd yn 1668 ac fe adeiladwyd y capel cyntaf yn 1701 a adeildwyd trwy gefnogaeth John Evans, Llwyndŵr. Helaethwyd y capel yn 1763 a chodwyd capel newydd yn 1841. Codwyd yr un presennol yn 1875.
Street address: Lower Priory, Milford Haven, SA73 3UA (from Wikidata)
Bryngaer arfordirol yn Sir Benfro yw Dinas Mawr. Cyfeirnod AO: 887387. Fe'i lleolir ar bentir creigiog ar ystlys penmaen Pencaer tua 5 milltir i'r gorllewin o Abergwaun ar gwr pentref bychan Trefaser. Mae'n dyddio o Oes yr Haearn.
Copa ym mynyddoedd y Preselau yn Sir Benfro yw Foel Drygarn, hefyd Foel Trigarn a Foel Drigarn (cyfeiriad grid SN157336). Saif ym Mharc Cenedlaethol Arfordir Penfro, i'r gorllewin o bentref Crymych.
Street address: Newport Community Library, Bank House, Bridge Street, Newport, Pembrokeshire, SA42 0TB (from Wikidata)
Street address: Milford Haven Library and Information Centre, Cedar Court, Haven's Head Business Park, Milford Haven, Pembrokeshire, SA73 3LS (from Wikidata)