Moccasin Bend Archeological District is an archeological site in Chattanooga, Tennessee, that is part of the Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park unit. The National Park Service refers to it as one of the "most unique units found in the entire National Park Service." The area contains remnants of 12,000 years of continuous human habitation and therefore serves as a fascinating area with a rich history and unique cultural significance. For many years, there was little recognition of the historical significance of the area, and years of industrial development occurred on and around sites of archeological importance. After decades of campaigning by concerned citizens, private organizations, local officials, the Friends of Moccasin Bend National Park, and finally a state representative, the area was officially recognized as a National Archeological District in 2003. Moccasin Bend is currently undergoing a process of renovation and restoration that will allow the area to fulfill the National Park Service's mission of preserving "natural and cultural resources" for the "enjoyment, education, and inspiration of this and future generations."
Chattanooga Metropolitan Airport (IATA: CHA, ICAO: KCHA, FAA LID: CHA) (Lovell Field) is 5 miles (8 km) east of downtown Chattanooga, in Hamilton County, Tennessee. The airport is owned and operated by the Chattanooga Metropolitan Airport Authority. It is a Class C airport serviced by the Chattanooga Airport Traffic Control Tower. The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems for 2019–2023 categorized it as a small-hub primary commercial service facility.
The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga (UT-Chattanooga, UTC, or Chattanooga) is a public university in Chattanooga, Tennessee. It is one of three universities and two other affiliated institutions in the University of Tennessee System (UT System).
The Hunter Museum of American Art is an art museum in Chattanooga, Tennessee. The museum's collections include works representing the Hudson River School, 19th century genre painting, American Impressionism, the Ashcan School, early modernism, regionalism, and post World War II modern and contemporary art.
The Brainerd Mission was a Christian mission to the Cherokee in present-day Chattanooga, Tennessee. The associated Brainerd Mission Cemetery is the only part that still remains, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Chattanooga School for the Arts & Sciences is a K–12 magnet school in Chattanooga, Tennessee. It was opened in 1986 in the former Wyatt Hall building which was used as a high school until 1983. The building was built in 1920–1921 and designed by Reuben H. Hunt, a Chattanooga architect. Its liberal-arts curriculum is patterned on Mortimer Adler's Paideia philosophy. The physical building has been a school in several incarnations, and was once attended by Samuel L. Jackson (as Riverside High School).
The Creative Discovery Museum is a children's museum located in downtown Chattanooga, Tennessee, it was opened on May 26, 1995. The museum contains art, music, and field science areas, along with a water-themed zone called RiverPlay, a rooftop exhibit, an inventor's workshop, and a temporary exhibit space. Exhibits are mostly designed for ages from 18 months to 12 years old.
The Erlanger Health System (often referred to as Erlanger Hospital or simply Erlanger), incorporated as the Chattanooga-Hamilton County Hospital Authority, a non-profit, public benefit corporation registered in the State of Tennessee, is an academic system of hospitals, physicians, and medical services based in Chattanooga, Tennessee. Erlanger is a tertiary referral hospital and Level I Trauma Center serving a 50,000 sq mi (130,000 km2) (125 mi (201 km) radius) region of East Tennessee, North Georgia, North Alabama, and western North Carolina. The system's critical care services are accessible to patients within a 100 mi (160 km) radius through five Life Force air ambulance helicopters, each equipped to perform in-flight surgical procedures and transfusions.
The First Presbyterian Church in Chattanooga, Tennessee, located at 554 McCallie Avenue, is a historic, downtown congregation of the Presbyterian Church in America (PCA) and the first Christian congregation founded in Chattanooga.
Hamilton Place is an enclosed, two-story shopping mall in Chattanooga, Tennessee just off I-75. It was the largest shopping mall in the state of Tennessee from 1987 to 1998; at this time, it was superseded in size by Knoxville's West Town Mall. Hamilton Place is considered a sister property to Northgate Mall, located in nearby Hixson.
The Market Street Bridge, officially referred to as the John Ross Bridge, is a bascule bridge that spans the Tennessee River between downtown Chattanooga, Tennessee, and the Northshore District. It carries North Market Street (formerly designated as U.S. Route 127), and was named in honor of Cherokee Chief John Ross. The bridge was completed in 1917 at a cost of $1.1 million. In the mid-1970s, the southern terminus of US 127 was moved several miles north to the intersection of Dayton Boulevard and Signal Mountain Boulevard in the nearby suburb of Red Bank.
Northside Presbyterian Church is a historic Presbyterian church at 923 Mississippi Avenue in Chattanooga, Tennessee, affiliated with the Presbyterian Church USA.
The Tennessee Aquarium is a non-profit public aquarium located in Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States. It opened in 1992 on the banks of the Tennessee River in downtown Chattanooga, with a major expansion added in 2005. The Aquarium, which has been accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA) since 1993, is home to more than 12,000 animals representing almost 800 species.
The Tivoli Theatre, also known as the Tivoli and the "Jewel of the South", is a historic theatre in Chattanooga, Tennessee, that opened on March 19, 1921. Built between 1919 and 1921 at a cost of $750,000, designed by famed Chicago-based architectural firm Rapp and Rapp and well-known Chattanooga architect Reuben H. Hunt, and constructed by the John Parks Company (general contractors), the theatre was one of the first air-conditioned public buildings in the United States. The theatre was named Tivoli after Tivoli, Italy, has cream tiles and beige terra-cotta bricks, has a large red, black, and white marquee with 1,000 chaser lights, and has a large black neon sign that displays TIVOLI with still more chaser lights.
Tyner (historically, Tynerville or Tyners Station) is a neighborhood in Hamilton County, Tennessee. Formerly a separate community, Tyner is located within Chattanooga's present city limits, and is today considered a neighborhood of Chattanooga.
WDOD (1310 AM; "Fox Sports Radio 1310") was a radio station serving the Chattanooga area. The station was owned by Bahakel Communications out of Charlotte, North Carolina, and last offered a sports talk format. WDOD was the oldest radio station in Chattanooga, having gone on the air on April 13, 1925 at 1280 on the AM dial. The frequency was changed to 1310 in the early 1940s. Bahakel acquired the station in 1963; previous owners of the station include Norman Thomas and Earl Winger (who owned a crystal radio company, and started WDOD to give people who bought their radios a station to listen to), as well as H. Clay Evans and Interstate Insurance. From 1948 to 1997 it was Chattanooga's original country radio station, and added a FM simulcast on WDOD-FM in 1960. The simulcast continued until WDOD-FM changed its format to AAA. WDOD was briefly an affiliate of Air America Radio in 2005-2006. Prior to that the station had an adult standards format. Until 2009, the station derived a portion of its programming from Scott Shannon's The True Oldies Channel from Citadel Media.
WGOW (1150 AM), known as "NewsRadio 1150", is the Chattanooga home for mostly conservative syndicated talk radio programs from ABC Radio. It broadcasts on AM frequency 1150 kHz and is under ownership of Cumulus Media. The station first went on the air in 1936 as WAPO at 1420 on the AM dial. By the early 1940s the frequency was changed to 1150. It was purchased by Ted Turner in 1968 and changed its call letters to WGOW and adopted a Top 40 format on January 1, 1969. By the early 1980s, the station had evolved into more of an adult contemporary style format. In the 1988, they shifted to their current news/talk format.
Built in 1890, the 2,376 feet (724 m) Walnut Street Bridge was the first to connect Chattanooga, Tennessee's downtown with North Chattanooga. The bridge's main spans are pin-connected Pennsylvania through truss spans. The top chord of these truss spans are configured in five sections, making the spans similar to the Camelback truss design. The bridge is historically significant as an extremely long and old example of its type; according to the Historic American Engineering Record: "The bridge was apparently the first non-military highway bridge across the Tennessee River."
Eastgate Towne Center, formerly known as Eastgate Mall is an enclosed, mixed-use facility (office and retail complex) in Chattanooga, Tennessee.
The following is a timeline of the history of the city of Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States.
Hamilton County Schools (or Hamilton County Department of Education) is the school district that serves Hamilton County, Tennessee, USA. After a 1995 referendum, the separate Chattanooga City Schools district was merged into the county's in 1997. About 2,300 high school seniors graduated from the system in May 2011.
Lookout Valley is a neighborhood of Chattanooga, Tennessee and a former unincorporated community in Hamilton County, Tennessee. It is located in the western portion of the city along Interstate 24 and US Routes 11, 41, 64 and 72.
W. Max Finley Stadium (commonly called Finley Stadium) is the home stadium for the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga football team and Chattanooga FC (NISA), a professional Division 3 soccer team. The stadium also hosts various high school sports and musical concerts. It is located in Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States. The stadium, which opened in 1997, has a current capacity of 20,412, and hosted the NCAA Division I National Championship Game from its opening season through 2009, after which the game moved to Pizza Hut Park in the Dallas suburb of Frisco, Texas.
Chattanooga is a city in and the county seat of Hamilton County, Tennessee, along the Tennessee River bordering Georgia. With an estimated population of 179,139 in 2017, it is the fourth-largest city in Tennessee and one of the two principal cities of East Tennessee, along with Knoxville. Served by multiple railroads and Interstate highways, Chattanooga is a transit hub. Chattanooga lies 118 miles (190 km) northwest of Atlanta, Georgia, 112 miles (180 km) southwest of Knoxville, Tennessee, 134 miles (216 km) southeast of Nashville, Tennessee, 102 miles (164 km) east-northeast of Huntsville, Alabama, and 147 miles (237 km) northeast of Birmingham, Alabama.
Chattanooga National Cemetery is a United States National Cemetery located near the center of the city of Chattanooga in Hamilton County, Tennessee. Administered by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs, it encompasses 120.9 acres (48.9 ha), and as of 2014, had more than 50,000 interments.
Chickamauga Creek refers to two short tributaries of the Tennessee River, which join the river near Chattanooga, Tennessee. The two streams are North Chickamauga Creek and South Chickamauga Creek, joining the Tennessee from the north and south side, respectively. There is also a West Chickamauga Creek, which is a much longer tributary of the South Chickamauga Creek.
Northgate Mall, also called Northgate, is an enclosed shopping mall in the Chattanooga, Tennessee suburb of Hixson. Opened on March 15, 1972, it was the second mall built in Chattanooga.
The Chattanooga Public Library (est. 1905) of Chattanooga, Tennessee, is a municipal public library overseen by the city government. As of 1928 it ran the Hamilton County public library. In 2013 it opened a makerspace.
The C.B. Robinson Bridge is a bridge over the Tennessee River carrying DuPont parkway (Tennessee State Route 319). It was built in 1981, and named after local educator Clarence B. Robinson, state representative from Chattanooga (district 28) 1974-1992.
The Chattanooga Choo-Choo Hotel (formerly known as Terminal Station) in Chattanooga, Tennessee, is a former railroad station which was once owned and operated by the Southern Railway, and is currently listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The station is currently operated as a hotel, and is a member of Historic Hotels of America, the official program of the National Trust for Historic Preservation.