The Southwark School's Learning Partnership is a collaboration of ten schools — seven state and three independent — based in Southwark, a borough of south London, England. The partnership was founded in 2003.
St Olave's Hospital was a general hospital serving the Rotherhithe area of London until its closure in 1985.
Hopton's Almshouses are almshouses and a committee room in Southwark, London, SE1 at Hopton Gardens, 10–11 Hopton Street, all of which are Grade II* listed.
The Heygate Estate was a large housing estate in Walworth, Southwark, South London comprising 1214 homes. The estate was demolished between 2011 and 2014 as part of the urban regeneration of the Elephant and Castle area. Home to more than 3,000 people, it was situated adjacent to Walworth Road and New Kent Road, and immediately east of the Elephant and Castle road intersection. The estate was used extensively as a filming location, due in part to its brutalist architecture.
Marsyas is a 150-meter-long, ten storey high sculpture designed by Anish Kapoor and Cecil Balmond. It was on show at Tate Modern gallery, London in 2003 and was commissioned as part of the Unilever Series. Marsyas was the third in a series of commissions for Tate Modern’s Turbine Hall and the first to make use of the entire space.
The Beargarden or Bear Pit was the facility for bear-baiting, bull-baiting, and other "animal sports" in the London area during the 16th and 17th centuries, from the Elizabethan era to the English Restoration period. Samuel Pepys visited the venue in 1666 and described it as "a rude and nasty pleasure". The last recorded event at the Beargarden was the baiting of "a fine but vicious horse" in 1682.
The Camberwell Collegiate School was an independent school in Camberwell, London, England. It was located on the eastern side of Camberwell Grove, directly opposite the Grove Chapel.
Beltwood House is a Grade II listed building within the Dulwich Wood Conservation Area in south London, England. The large three-storey mansion has fifty rooms and stands in 1.24 hectares (3.1 acres) of wooded grounds, with gatekeeper's lodge, mews courtyard cottages, stables and a stable apartment, a tennis court and a croquet lawn. The site has been subject to a blanket tree preservation order since 1985.
Bermondsey (also known as St. Mary Magdalen, Bermondsey) was a parish in the metropolitan area of London, England.
Blackfriars Bridge railway station was on the City branch of the London, Chatham and Dover Railway (LC&DR) in London, England. It was opened on 1 June 1864 and, for its first six months, was the northern terminus of a line from Herne Hill via Loughborough Junction.
The Borough Compter was a small compter or prison initially located in Southwark High Street but moved to nearby Tooley Street in 1717, where it stood until demolished until 1855. It took its name from 'The Borough', a historic name for the Southwark area of London on the south side of the River Thames from the City of London. This replaced a lock-up as part of the City's court house under the jurisdiction of the Lord Mayor and Court of Aldermen of the City, and their High-Bailiff of Southwark. This first court house was converted from the old parish church of St Margaret's. A floor was made across the level of the church's gallery and the windows below that were blocked in, the Court Room being on the first floor. This structure was destroyed in the Great Fire of Southwark in 1676.
Bermondsey Square is located on Tower Bridge Road in Bermondsey, part of the London Borough of Southwark, in south London, England. The location was formerly the site of the 11th century Bermondsey Abbey.
Harris Boys' Academy East Dulwich is a secondary school and sixth form with academy status for boys, located in the Peckham area of the London Borough of Southwark, England.
E-ACT is a multi-academy trust responsible for 29 academies in England.
Muscular Dystrophy UK is a UK charity focusing on muscular dystrophy and related conditions. They seek to cure or find treatments for muscular dystrophy and other muscle-wasting conditions, and to improve the lives of those affected.
SeeAbility (formerly School for the Indigent Blind and Royal School for the Blind) is a UK charity that provides support and campaigns for better eye care for people with learning disabilities, autism and sight loss. In 2017 it reported that 236 people were supported in facilities such as residential homes, supported living and activity and resource centres across the south of England. From 2013, SeeAbility launched its Children in Focus campaign, providing sight tests for children in special schools, after observing that many adults they worked with had not received good eye care when younger.
The London Dungeon is a tourist attraction along London's South Bank, England, which recreates various gory and macabre historical events in a gallows humour style. It uses a mixture of live actors, special effects and rides.
The Roman Catholic Church of the Sacred Heart is a Roman Catholic church on Knatchbull Road and Camberwell New Road in Camberwell, south east London, SE5.
The Dulwich Old College War Memorial is located in the forecourt of Dulwich Old College on College Road in Dulwich in the London Borough of Southwark. It marks the deaths of the former pupils of the college who died in the First World War between 1914 and 1919. The memorial is made from Hopton Wood stone and was designed by William Douglas Caröe. It was unveiled in 1921. It has been grade II listed on the National Heritage List for England since May 2010. The heritage listing places the memorial within a "visual and contextual relationship" with the Grade II listed Old College building and the entrance gates and piers of the Old College, also Grade II listed.
The Dulwich College War Memorial is located at the eastern front of Dulwich College on College Road in Dulwich in the London Borough of Southwark. It commemorates the alumni of the college who died in both the First and Second World Wars. The memorial was designed by W. H. Atkin-Berry, an alumnus of the college. It was unveiled on 17 June 1921, the Dulwich College Founder's Day, by Major General Sir Webb Gillman, and dedicated by the Dean of Durham, James Welldon. Gillman was an alumnus of the college, and Welldon had served as Master of Dulwich College from 1883 to 1885. It has been Grade II listed on the National Heritage List for England since May 2010. The heritage listing places the memorial within a "visual and contextual relationship" with the Grade II* listed Main College building.
Southwark St John Horsleydown was a small parish on the south bank of the River Thames in London, opposite the Tower of London. The name Horsleydown, apparently derived from the "horse lie-down" next to the river, is no longer used. The parish was created by splitting St Olave's parish in 1733.
Southwark St Saviour ( SUDH-ərk) was a civil parish in the metropolitan area of London, England, and part of the ancient Borough of Southwark. It was formed in 1541 from the union of the parishes of St Margaret and St Mary. It was abolished in 1930, however residents of the former parish receive a rebate against local taxation because of the presence of Borough Market.
St Michael's Catholic College is a coeducational secondary school with academy status, located in the London district of Southwark.
St Saviour's and St Olave's Church of England School is a secondary school and sixth form for girls located on New Kent Road near Elephant and Castle, in the London Borough of Southwark, England. It is a voluntary aided Church of England school in the Anglican Diocese of Southwark and is affiliated to the Woodard Schools group.
Southwark St Olave was an ancient civil and ecclesiastical parish on the south bank of the River Thames, covering the area around where Shard London Bridge now stands in the modern London Borough of Southwark. The boundaries varied over time but in general the parish stretched east from London Bridge past Tower Bridge to St Saviour's Dock. Southwark St Olave and St Thomas replaced the civil parish in 1896. It was abolished in 1904 and absorbed by Bermondsey parish.
St Ann Blackfriars was a church in the City of London, in what is now Ireland Yard in the ward of Farringdon Within. The church began as a medieval parish chapel, dedicated to St Ann, within the Dominican Black Friars church. The new parish church was established in the 16th century to serve the inhabitants of the precincts of the former Dominican monastery, following its dissolution under King Henry VIII. It was near the Blackfriars Theatre, a fact which displeased its congregation. It was destroyed in the Great Fire of London of 1666.
St Mary's Church, Rotherhithe, is the local Church of England parish church in Rotherhithe, formerly in Surrey and now part of south east London. The parish is now within the diocese of Southwark and under the jurisdiction of the Bishop of Fulham. The 18th-century church is in St Marychurch Street and is dedicated to Mary, mother of Jesus, and it is particularly proud of its connections with the Pilgrim Fathers. It remains a living and working church, supported by local people and serving a broad community.
seOne was a nightclub in London, United Kingdom. It claimed to be London's largest licensed nightclub with a capacity of 3,000 people. It was located on Weston Street underneath the London Bridge transit centre. The licensing authority required the nightclub to scan and retain clubbers' ID details. seOne used Clubscan for this purpose. On 22 February 2010 it officially closed down due to financial difficulties.
Southwark Christchurch was a parish in the metropolitan area of London, England. It was the manor and liberty of Paris Garden until 1670.
Southwark St George the Martyr was a civil parish in the metropolitan area of London, England and part of the ancient Borough of Southwark. In 1855 the parish vestry became a local authority within the area of responsibility of the Metropolitan Board of Works. It comprised 284 acres (1.15 km2) and had a population in 1881 of 59,712.
Nonsuch House was a four-storey house on London Bridge, completed in 1579. It is the earliest documented prefabricated building. Originally constructed in the Netherlands, it was taken apart and shipped to London in pieces in 1578, where it was reassembled, with each timber being marked so that it could be reconstructed correctly. It was assembled in the manner later typical of an American barn or modern prefab housing. The name Nonsuch may have referred to Henry VIII's now vanished Nonsuch Palace outside London; it meant there was "none such" anywhere else, that it was an unequalled paragon of its kind.
Metro Central Heights is a group of residential buildings in the London Borough of Southwark. It was originally known as Alexander Fleming House, a multi-storey office complex designed by Hungarian-born modernist architect Ernő Goldfinger and constructed in the early 1960s for Arnold Lee of Imry Properties. The design was favoured both by the property developer Imry and by the London County Council as it promised the largest amount of lettable space and therefore the best financial return for the site. Some 55 m tall at its highest point, the original scheme consisted of three freestanding blocks, two of seven storeys and one of eighteen, grouped around a central piazza.
The Old College Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club is in West Dulwich, Southwark, southeast London, England, to the east off Gallery Road. The "Old College" name was adopted due to its longstanding close association with Dulwich College, its president often being the college Master.
Wikimedia UK (WMUK) is a registered charity established to support volunteers in the United Kingdom who work on Wikimedia projects such as Wikipedia. As such, it is a Wikimedia chapter approved by the Wikimedia Foundation, which owns and hosts those projects.
XXL is a gay nightclub in London which primarily caters to the bear sub-group. The club was founded by Mark Ames and his then partner David Dindol in 2000. They separated in 2005, after which Mark purchased his ex-partner's share of the club. It is the largest dedicated "bear" venue in the United Kingdom and the world. It is not just the bear scene's longest-running weekly disco but London's too, having not missed a night in over 16 years.
The London School of Musical Theatre (LSMT) is an academy of performing arts that has provided training since 1995.
The London Underground (also known simply as the Underground, or by its nickname the Tube) is a public rapid transit system serving London, England and some parts of the adjacent counties of Buckinghamshire, Essex and Hertfordshire in the United Kingdom.
The St Saviours Southwark War Memorial is a war memorial on Borough High Street, in the former parish of Southwark St Saviour, to south of the River Thames in London. It became a Grade II listed building in 1998, upgraded to Grade II* in 2018.
The Museum of Life Sciences is a life science and natural history museum that is part of King's College London in London, England. It is housed on the Guy's Campus, adjacent to the Gordon Museum of Pathology in the Hodgkin Building. It was founded in 2009 and is the first new museum in King's College for over 100 years. It exists to explain the diversity of animal and plant life in the context of the biological and health sciences. The current curator is Dr Gillian Sales.
The Gordon Museum of Pathology is a medical museum that is part of King's College London in London, England. It is one of the largest pathology museums in the world and is the largest medical museum in the United Kingdom. Its primary function is to train medical, dental, biomedical and healthcare students and professionals to diagnose diseases.
Tappern House (formerly known as Glenlea) on Dulwich Common Road, in Dulwich in Southwark, south east London, is a detached house that was designed by George Tappern, the surveyor of Dulwich College. It has been Grade II listed on the National Heritage List for England since September 1972.
Howlettes Mead is a Grade II listed detached house at 48 College Road in Dulwich Village, in the London Borough of Southwark, SE 21. The house is set in 2 acres of grounds. It was built in 1777 and altered in the early 19th-century. The house has 3 storeys with 2 main bays and a porch with Doric pilasters
The Museum of Contemporary Art, London is a small art gallery in Peckham Rye, London. Its director is Michael Petry.
Kaplan Business School is a recognised provider of quality business programs across Australia. Since their inaugural launch in 2008, they have grown to a four-campus network housing nearly 2000 scholars. Campuses can be found in Adelaide, Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney as well as offering an online option for the Master of Business Administration.
Camberwell () is a district of South London, England, within the London Borough of Southwark. It is located 2.7 miles (4.3 km) southeast of Charing Cross. The name Camberwell was first applied to the Parish of St Giles, Camberwell, which included the village of Camberwell, and the hamlets of Peckham, Dulwich, Nunhead, and part of Herne Hill (the rest of Herne Hill was in the parish of Lambeth). Until 1889, it was part of the county of Surrey. In 1900 the original parish became the Metropolitan Borough of Camberwell.
The Metropolitan Borough of Camberwell was a metropolitan borough in south London, England. Camberwell was an ancient parish in the county of Surrey, governed by an administrative vestry from 1674. The parish was included in the area of responsibility of the Metropolitan Board of Works in 1855 and became part of the County of London in 1889. The parish of Camberwell became a metropolitan borough in 1900, following the London Government Act 1899, with the parish vestry replaced by a borough council. In 1965 the borough was abolished and its former area became part of the London Borough of Southwark in Greater London.
Peckham () is a district of south-east London, England, within the London Borough of Southwark. 3.5 miles (5.6 km) south-east of Charing Cross. At the 2001 Census the Peckham ward had a population of 14,720.
The Chartered Institute of Environmental Health (CIEH) is a professional membership body concerned with environmental health and promoting standards in the training and education of environmental health professionals.
Peek Freans is the name of a former biscuit making company based in Bermondsey, London, which is now a global brand of biscuits and related confectionery owned by various food businesses. Owned but not marketed in the UK, Europe and USA by De Beauvoir Biscuit Company, in Canada the brand is owned by Mondelēz International, whilst in Pakistan the brand is owned by English Biscuit Manufacturers.
The National Youth Theatre of Great Britain is a registered charity in London. It is committed to the development of young people through the medium of creative arts, and aims to use theatre to aid in this objective. It was founded in 1956 as the world's first youth theatre and has built a reputation as a breeding ground for renowned actors such as Daniel Craig, Daniel Day-Lewis, Timothy Dalton, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Idris Elba, Colin Firth, Derek Jacobi, Ben Kingsley, Ian McShane, Helen Mirren, Rosamund Pike, and Kate Winslet, as well as musicians such as Sophie Ellis-Bextor and Ed Sheeran (see here for a full list).
Alzheimer Disease International (ADI), was founded in 1984 to help to fight Alzheimer's disease, first diagnosed back in 1906. ADI is the umbrella organisation of more than 80 Alzheimer’s associations around the world. Each member supports people with dementia and their families in their country. ADI's vision is an improved quality of life for people with dementia and their families throughout the world.
Bermondsey Abbey was an English Benedictine monastery. Most widely known as an 11th-century foundation, it had a precursor mentioned in the early eighth century, and was centred on what is now Bermondsey Square, the site of Bermondsey Market, Bermondsey, in the London Borough of Southwark, southeast London, England.