Ark Globe Academy (combining the former Geoffrey Chaucer Technology College and Joseph Lancaster Primary School) is a mixed all-through school located in Southwark, London, England.
Peckham Library is a library and community building situated in Peckham in south-east London. It was designed by Alsop and Störmer, engineered by AKT II and won the Stirling Prize for Architecture in 2000.
St Thomas Church, Southwark, London, England. The first church building was part of the original St. Thomas' Hospital which was located to the area around the present St Thomas Street, from the infirmary at St Mary Overie priory in 1212. The hospital was therefore also an Augustinian house. The hospital/conventual precinct became a parish no later than 1496. It was named after Thomas Becket whose cult pilgrimage to Canterbury began at London Bridge. The church was renamed St Thomas the Apostle following the abolition of the Becket cult in 1538 during the Reformation.
St John Horsleydown was the Anglican parish church of Horsleydown in Bermondsey, South London. Built for the Commission for Building Fifty New Churches to the designs of Nicholas Hawksmoor and John James in 1726–1733, it was noted for its distinctive spire in the form of a tapering column.
St Olave's Church, Southwark was a church in Southwark, England which is believed to be mentioned in the Domesday Book. It was located on Tooley Street which is named after the church, i.e. 't'olous'. It became redundant in 1926 and was demolished. It is now the location of St Olaf House, which houses part of the London Bridge Hospital.
Anchor Terrace is a large symmetrical building on the east side of Southwark Bridge Road in London, situated very close to the River Thames. It was built in 1834, and its original inhabitants were senior employees of the nearby Anchor Brewery, Southwark, which was then owned by Barclay Perkins & Co. Ltd. The building was later used as the brewery's offices. It overlooks the site of the former brewery and is next to the headquarters of the Financial Times.
Bacon's College is a secondary school and sixth form college in Rotherhithe, London. It was one of the handful of City Technology Colleges, and officially changed to Academy status in 2007.
Baltic Quay is a large residential development, located in Surrey Quays in the London Borough of Southwark. Completed in 1989 during the London Docklands Development Corporation, it is largely known for its unique architecture, which won it awards from the London Docklands Development Corporation. As a result, it is considered to be a landmark development in the area.
Bermondsey Spa Gardens is a park in Bermondsey, London. It is located on Grange Road, SE1 3AH. The park has been included in the recent and ongoing regeneration of the Bermondsey Spa area. The 4.5-acre (18,000 m2) park, with improvements designed by the architects Broadway Malyan, is intended to act as a focal point for the surrounding area.
The Borough Welsh Congregational Chapel (Welsh: Capel-y-Boro) is the mother chapel of the Welsh Congregational church in London, England. It is located at 90 Southwark Bridge Road in Southwark, a district also known as "The Borough".
Christ Church, Southwark, is a church of the Anglican denomination situated on the west side of Blackfriars Road, London. At the time of the foundation there was no bridge at Blackfriars and so no major road connecting the area to the south or to the City.
Southwark ( SUDH-ərk) is a district of Central London and is the north-west of the London Borough of Southwark. Centred 1 1⁄2 miles (2.4 km) east of Charing Cross, it fronts the River Thames and the City of London to the north. It was at the lowest bridging point of the Thames in Roman Britain, providing a crossing from Londinium, and for centuries had the only Thames bridge in the area, until a bridge was built upstream more than 10 miles (16 km) to the west. It was a 1295-enfranchised (nationally represented) Borough in the county of Surrey, apparently created a burh in 886, containing various parishes by the high medieval period, lightly succombing to City attempts to constrain its free trade and entertainment. Its entertainment district, in its heyday at the time of Shakespare's Globe Theatre (which stood 1599–1642) has revived in the form of the Southbank which overspills imperceptibly into the ancient boundaries of Lambeth and commences at the post-1997 reinvention of the original theatre, Shakespeare's Globe, incorporating other smaller theatre spaces, an exhibition about Shakespeare's life and work and which neighbours Vinopolis and the London Dungeon. After the 18th century decline of Southwark's small wharves, the borough rapidly grew in population and saw the growth of great docks, printing/paper, railways, goods yards, small artesan and other often low-wage industries and Southwark was among many such inner districts to see slum clearance and replacement largely with social housing during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. It is now at an advanced stage of regeneration and has the City Hall offices of the Greater London Authority. At its heart is the area known as Borough, which has an eclectic covered and semi-covered market and numerous food and drink venues as well as the skyscraper The Shard. Another landmark is Southwark Cathedral, a priory then parish church created a cathedral in 1905, noted for its Merbecke Choir.
Dulwich Library opened on 24 November 1897. It is an example of a Passmore Edwards library and is located at No. 368 Lordship Lane in East Dulwich, southeast London, England.
The Feminist Library was founded as the Women’s Research and Resources Centre in 1975 by a group of women concerned about the future of the Fawcett Library to ensure that the history of the women's liberation movement survived. The founders included feminist academics like Diana Leonard and Leonore Davidoff.
Southwark Towers was a high rise building at 32 London Bridge Street, designed by TP Bennett architects, overlooking London Bridge station, in Southwark, London. When it was demolished in 2008 to make way for The Shard, it was the joint-tallest building ever to have been demolished in the United Kingdom, alongside the Drapers' Gardens tower.
Sampson House is a commercial office building in Hopton Street, Southwark, London, United Kingdom. It is sited just west of the Tate Modern art gallery, by the railway lines running onto Blackfriars Bridge and fills a block between the Thames and Southwark Street.
Southwark College is a further education college located in the London Borough of Southwark. The college at one time had seven sites. It now boasts a £41m state-of-the-art building on The Cut, opposite Southwark Tube Station.
Nunhead Cemetery is one of the Magnificent Seven cemeteries in London, England. It is perhaps the least famous and celebrated of them. The cemetery is located in Nunhead in the London Borough of Southwark and was originally known as All Saints' Cemetery. Nunhead Cemetery was consecrated in 1840 and opened by the London Cemetery Company. It is a Local Nature Reserve.
The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Southwark (Br [ˈsʌðɨk]) is a Latin Church Roman Catholic archdiocese in England. The archepiscopal see is headed by the Archbishop of Southwark. The archdiocese is part of the Metropolitan Province of Southwark, which covers the South of England. The cathedral church is St George's Cathedral, Southwark.
White Cube is a contemporary art gallery owned by Jay Jopling with two branches in London: Mason's Yard in central London and Bermondsey in South East London and one in Central, Hong Kong Island. The Hoxton Square space in the East End of London was closed at the end of 2012 and the São Paulo gallery in 2015.
The Office of Communications (Welsh: Y Swyddfa Gyfathrebiadau), commonly known as Ofcom, is the UK government-approved regulatory and competition authority for the broadcasting, telecommunications and postal industries of the United Kingdom.
Queens Road Peckham railway station is in the London Borough of Southwark and also serves the area to the east of Peckham, in the London Borough of Lewisham. It is on the South London Line, 2 miles 58 chains (4.4 km) from London Bridge, and trains also go to Croydon via various routes and beyond. It is on the road of that name and is in Travelcard Zone 2.
Denmark Hill railway station is in the area of Denmark Hill in south London, England, on the Thameslink, South London, Greenwich Park and Chatham lines. It is 4 miles 22 chains (6.9 km) down the line from London Victoria.
The Tabard was an historic inn that stood on the east side of Borough High Street in Southwark. The hostelry was established in 1307 and stood on the ancient thoroughfare that led south from London Bridge to Canterbury and Dover. It was built for the Abbot of Hyde who purchased the land to construct a place to stay for himself and his ecclesiastical brethren when on business in London.
Peckham Rye railway station is on Rye Lane in the centre of the shopping district of Peckham in South London. It opened on 1 December 1865 for LC&DR trains and on 13 August 1866 for LB&SCR trains. It was designed by Charles Henry Driver (1832–1900), the architect of Abbey Mills and Crossness pumping stations, who also designed the grade II listed Denmark Hill and Battersea Park stations between here and London Victoria.
Strata SE1, nicknamed "Razor" or "Electric Razor", is a 148-metre (486 ft), 43-storey building at Elephant and Castle in the London Borough of Southwark in London. Designed by BFLS (formerly Hamiltons), it is one of the tallest residential buildings in London and more than 1,000 residents live in its 408 flats.
South Bermondsey railway station is on the South London Line, serving the district of South Bermondsey in the London Borough of Southwark. It is 1 mile 63 chains (2.9 km) down the line from London Bridge; the following station on the line is Queens Road Peckham.
Camberwell College of Arts (formerly known as Camberwell School of Arts and Crafts) is a constituent college of the University of the Arts London, and is regarded as one of the UK's foremost art and design institutions. It is located in Camberwell in South London, England, with two sites, located in Peckham Road and Wilson Road. It offers further and higher education programmes, including postgraduate and PhD awards. The College has retained single degree options within Fine Art, offering specialist Bachelor of Arts courses in painting, sculpture, photography and drawing. The College also runs graduate and postgraduate courses in art conservation and fine art as well as design courses such as Graphic Design, Illustration and 3D Design.
Harris Academy Bermondsey is a secondary school located in the London Borough of Southwark district of Bermondsey, England. The school takes in girls between the ages of 11 and 18. In 2006 the school joined a federation of schools in South London called the Harris Federation named after the Lord Harris of Peckham who is sponsoring them. Prior to its transformation into an academy, the school was known as Aylwin Girls' School. The 'Aylwin Grammar School for Girls' was founded on the site in 1906, and was one of the first offering a free grammar school education to girls in the country. The school also takes part in fundraising for annual trips to Sri Lanka in association with the Yala Fund, a charity which helps build and improve schools in towns in Sri Lanka.
Harris Academy at Peckham (also known as the Academy at Peckham, Peckham Academy or Harris Academy, Peckham) is a coeducational academy in Peckham, in the London Borough of Southwark. Catering for pupils from the ages of 11 to 18, the school specialises in the curriculum areas of Business and Enterprise, ICT, and the Performing Arts.
The Harris Girls' Academy East Dulwich (formerly Waverley School) is a secondary school and sixth form with academy status in the East Dulwich area of the London Borough of Southwark, England. The school converted to academy status in September 2006 and is part of the not-for-profit Harris Federation of South London Schools sponsored by Lord Harris of Peckham.
Hay's Galleria is a mixed use building in the London Borough of Southwark situated on the south bank of the River Thames featuring offices, restaurants, shops, and flats. Originally a warehouse and associated wharf (Hay's Wharf) for the port of London, it was redeveloped in the 1980s. It is a Grade II listed structure.
James Allen's Girls' School is an independent day school situated in Dulwich, South London, England. It has a senior school for 11- to 18-year-old girls, a prep school for 7- to 11-year-old girls (James Allen's Preparatory School), and a pre-preparatory school for 4- to 7-year-old girls. It is the sister school of Dulwich College and Alleyn's.
John Harvard Library is a public lending library on Borough High Street in Southwark, London. The library is home to the Local History Library, as well as a Mouse Tail Coffee Stories cafe.
Kingsdale Foundation School (KFS) is a mixed secondary school with academy status in Alleyn Park, West Dulwich, Southwark, South London, England, with an age range of 11–19. Admissions to the school are coordinated by the Southwark London Borough Council as part of the Pan London Admissions Arrangements.
Notre Dame High School is an all-girls' Roman Catholic comprehensive school (having been a grammar school until 1977) situated in Elephant and Castle, in south London in the UK. Girls attend the school from ages 11–16 (11-18 until the 1980s). The current headteacher is Anne Marie Niblock. Previous Headteachers include Sister Myra Poole, SND and Sister Rosemary O'Callaghan, SND. Sister Rosemary O' Callaghan is now acting as the school chaplain. The school was founded by the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur. The school was established in 1855 and celebrated its 150th anniversary in the London Borough of Southwark.
Perronet House is an 11-storey residential council tower block adjacent to the northern roundabout of the Elephant and Castle, in London.
St Peter's Church is an Anglican parish church in Walworth, London, in the Woolwich Episcopal Area of the Anglican Diocese of Southwark. It was built between 1823–25 and was the first church designed by Sir John Soane, in the wave of the church-building following the Napoleonic wars. It is the best preserved of Soane's churches.
The Unicorn Theatre is a UK theatre for audiences aged 2–21. The theatre has its home in a custom-built, RIBA Award–winning building on Tooley Street, in the London Borough of Southwark, which opened in 2005. The theatre was designed by Keith Williams, built by Arup and comprises two theatre spaces (the Weston and Clore Theatres), an education studio, rehearsal space, café and the John Lyon meeting room.
William Booth College on Champion Park, Denmark Hill in the London Borough of Southwark, is the headquarters of The Salvation Army leadership and officer training which delivers education and training programmes for the United Kingdom. Designed by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott, the college is a memorial to William Booth.
Geraldine Mary Harmsworth Park is a public park in Kennington, south London. It is maintained by the London Borough of Southwark and bounded by Lambeth Road, Kennington Road, St George's Road and Brook Drive. It covers an area of 5.9 hectares (15 acres).
The Inner London Sessions House Crown Court, more commonly known as the Inner London Crown Court and distinct from the Inner London Magistrates Court, is a Crown Court building in London, United Kingdom. It is located in the Sessions House on Newington Causeway at the corner of Harper Road in the Newington area of the London Borough of Southwark in south London. There has been a judicial building on the site since 1794.
Ark All Saints Academy is a mixed, non-selective school for pupils which opened as an Ark school in September 2013 with an intake of 120 year 7 students. The school grew year on year until its maximum capacity of 840 was reached in 2017. A sixth form was planned to open in 2018, with an intake of 120 in each year, however due to lack of funding the project was abandoned.
City of London Academy, Southwark is a co-educational secondary school and sixth form with academy status, located in the Bermondsey area of the London Borough of Southwark, England.
The View from The Shard is a tourist attraction based in London's tallest building, The Shard. The attraction offers visitors views from the skyscraper, with two viewing platforms inside the building: the first is a triple level indoor gallery on Level 69, and the second is a partially outdoor gallery on Level 72.
Guy's Hospital is an NHS hospital in the borough of Southwark in central London. It is part of Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust and one of the institutions that comprise the King's Health Partners, an academic health science centre.
Bankside Power Station is a decommissioned electricity generating station located on the south bank of the River Thames, in the Bankside area of the Borough of Southwark, London. It generated electricity from 1891 to 1981. It was also used as a training base for apprenticeships from all over the country. It trained both (electrical and mechanical) craft and engineering students using specialised machine shops for the training. Since 2000 the building has been used to house the Tate Modern art museum and gallery.
City Hall is the headquarters of the Greater London Authority (GLA), which comprises the Mayor of London and the London Assembly. It is located in Southwark, on the south bank of the River Thames near Tower Bridge. It was designed by Norman Foster and opened in July 2002, two years after the Greater London Authority was created.
The Diocese of Southwark is one of the 42 dioceses of the Church of England, part of the worldwide Anglican Communion. The diocese forms part of the Province of Canterbury in England. It was created on 1 May 1905 from part of the ancient Diocese of Rochester that was served by a Suffragan Bishop of Southwark (1891–1905). Before 1877 the area was part of the Diocese of Winchester.
London College of Communication, UAL (formerly the London School of Printing and Graphic Arts and then London College of Printing and, briefly, London College of Printing and Distributive Trades) is a constituent college of the University of the Arts London, located in Elephant and Castle. Natalie Brett is Head of College. It has approximately 5,000 students on almost 50 courses in media, design and screen preparing students for careers in the creative industries. Courses cover diploma, undergraduate and postgraduate level. Multi-media convergence now influences LCC’s specialist areas, including graphic design and advertising, photography, film and animation, journalism, publishing and public relations, sound arts and design and interactive and spatial design. LCC is made up of three specialist schools, Design School, Media School and, as of 2017, Screen School, all based at its Elephant and Castle site.
Spa School is a mixed secondary school in Bermondsey in the London Borough of Southwark. It is one of Britain's largest state schools for children with autism, and has a high staff to student ratio.
St James's Church, Bermondsey is a Church of England parish church in Bermondsey, south London. It was completed and consecrated in 1829 and given a separate parish (split off from the ancient parish of St Mary Magdalene's, Bermondsey) in 1840. In 1949 it was designated a Grade II* listed building.
Minerva House was built between 1979 and 1983 as the London office of Grindlays Bank with Twigg, Brown & Partners as architects. The yellow brick building features narrow windows between closely paired piers. It sits on the south bank of the River Thames just west of London Bridge.
One The Elephant is a residential apartment development, in Elephant and Castle in the London Borough of Southwark, centred around a 37-storey 124m tall tower. At the base of the tower is a four-storey L-shaped pavilion containing apartments and retail units. The development lies immediately adjacent to the Metropolitan Tabernacle and in close proximity to Elephant and Castle tube station a Zone 1 London Underground station.
Manor Place Baths is a former public baths, swimming pool and boxing venue in Manor Place off Walworth Road in Newington, London. The late-19th century Victorian structure, designed by Edward I'Anson, is a grade II listed building.
Winchester Palace was a 12th-century palace which served as the London townhouse of the Bishops of Winchester. It was located in the parish of Southwark in Surrey, on the south bank of the River Thames (opposite the City of London) on what is now Clink Street in the London Borough of Southwark, near St Saviour's Church which later became Southwark Cathedral. Grade II listed remains of the demolished palace survive on the site today, designated a Scheduled Ancient Monument, under the care of English Heritage.
Tate Modern is a modern art gallery located in London. It is Britain's national gallery of international modern art and forms part of the Tate group (together with Tate Britain, Tate Liverpool, Tate St Ives and Tate Online). It is based in the former Bankside Power Station, in the Bankside area of the London Borough of Southwark. Tate holds the national collection of British art from 1900 to the present day and international modern and contemporary art. Tate Modern is one of the largest museums of modern and contemporary art in the world. As with the UK's other national galleries and museums, there is no admission charge for access to the collection displays, which take up the majority of the gallery space, while tickets must be purchased for the major temporary exhibitions. The gallery is London’s most-visited attraction pulling in approximately 5.8 million visitors in 2018.
London South Bank University (LSBU) is a public university in Newington, London. It has 17,985 students and 1,700 staff, and is based in the London Borough of Southwark, near the South Bank of the River Thames, from which it takes its name.
St George the Martyr is a church in the historic Borough district of south London. It lies within the modern-day London Borough of Southwark, on Borough High Street at the junction with Long Lane, Marshalsea Road, and Tabard Street. St George the Martyr is named after Saint George. The church is a Grade II* listed building.
The Henry Wood Hall is an orchestral rehearsal and recording studio in Trinity Church Square, Southwark, London, named after the conductor Sir Henry Wood. Formerly the Holy Trinity Church, it was designed in 1823–24 by Francis Octavius Bedford.
Columbia Wharf (variant spelling Colombia Wharf), a listed building on the south bank of the River Thames, was the first grain silo in a British port. Built in 1864, it was designed by architect and hymnwriter James Edmeston for G & I L Green's Patent Ventilating Grain Company. It is located in Rotherhithe, south of Cuckold's Point and north of Nelson Dock Pier. Canada Wharf was added to the complex in 1870-1. The complex, including a former engine house and boiler to the south, was listed as a Grade II building in 1983.