Achievement First is a charter school network in the United States. Achievement First operates schools in Connecticut (beginning with Amistad Academy in New Haven in 1999 along with other schools in New Haven, Bridgeport and Hartford), New York City (beginning in 2005 with schools in Brownsville, Bushwick, Crown Heights and East New York) and Rhode Island.
Gateway Community College (GCC) is a public community college with its main campus in New Haven, Connecticut and an automotive technology campus in North Haven, Connecticut. As of February 17, 2010, GCC had the highest credit enrollment among Connecticut's community colleges, with 7416 students enrolled in for-credit classes. It was formed in 1992 by the merger of South Central Community College in New Haven and the Greater New Haven State Technical College in North Haven.
Street address: 20 Church Street, New Haven, CT, 06510 (from Wikidata)
Erector Square is a 3-story brick industrial warehouse complex located at the intersection of Blatchley Avenue and Peck Street in the Fair Haven section of New Haven, Connecticut.
The Quinnipiac Brewery, also known as Brewery Square, is a complex of brick buildings at 19-23 River Street in the Fair Haven neighborhood of New Haven, Connecticut. Developed beginning in 1892 and operative until the 1930s, the complex is a rare example of a late 19th-century large-scale (for the time) brewery. The complex was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983. Most of the complex is now residences.
NRHP reference number: 83001285
Grannis Island is an uninhabited island in the Quinnipiac River in New Haven, Connecticut. It is owned by the New Haven Land Trust as part of the Eugene B. Fargeorge Nature Preserve at Quinnipiac Meadows
New Haven Arena was an indoor arena on Grove Street in New Haven, Connecticut, that served as a venue for ice hockey, concerts, and circuses.
The Yankee Doodle Coffee Shop, also known as The Doodle, was a diner in New Haven, Connecticut that catered to the Yale University community for 58 years before closing on January 28, 2008. The narrow restaurant, with only 12 stools arranged opposite a counter that ran the length of shop, was a favorite among students, faculty, and employees of the university. Bill Clinton, George W. Bush, and Henry Winkler are said to have been regulars during their times at Yale. The Doodle was known for its cheap but excellent food, especially the fried donut—an old fashioned donut cut down the middle, buttered, fried on the grill, and then re-buttered before serving. Other unique items popular with students included; the Bacon Egg and Cheese "No Break," The Doodle Dandy, and a variety of grilled muffins.
The Chapel Square Mall was a shopping mall in downtown New Haven, Connecticut. It was one of the first fully enclosed air-conditioned downtown malls in the United States; it has now been converted into apartments.
The Jackson Institute for Global Affairs promotes education and scholarship on global affairs at Yale University. Based in New Haven, Connecticut, the institute’s mission is to inspire and prepare Yale students for global leadership and service. The institute, which was established in 2010, is home to a master’s program in global affairs, a master of advanced study in global affairs and an undergraduate major in global affairs. The master’s program in global affairs was called international relations prior to its redesign and name change in 2013. The Jackson Institute, led by director James A. Levinsohn, also includes the undergraduate Global Health Studies program, the Kerry Initiative, the Yale World Fellows program and the Johnson Center for the Study of American Diplomacy.
The 2013 New Haven Open at Yale (New Haven Open at Yale presented by First Niagara for sponsorship reasons) was a tennis tournament played on outdoor hard courts. It was the 45th edition of the New Haven Open at Yale, and part of the Premier Series of the 2013 WTA Tour. It took place at the Cullman-Heyman Tennis Center in New Haven, Connecticut, United States, from August 16 through August 24. It was the last event on the 2013 US Open Series before the 2013 US Open.
Edgewood Creative Thinking Through STEAM Magnet School is a STEAM magnet school located in New Haven, Connecticut. The school teaches kindergarten through eighth grade, and the principal is Shanta Smith. Edgewood was the first school redone in the New Haven school renovation project. There are approximately 450 students who attend the school.
Lipstick (Ascending) on Caterpillar Tracks is a weathering steel sculpture by Claes Oldenburg. It is located at Morse College Courtyard, Yale University.
The Yale School of Art is the art school of Yale University. Founded in 1869 as the first professional fine arts school in the United States, it grants Masters of Fine Arts degrees to students completing a two-year course in graphic design, painting/printmaking, photography, or sculpture.
The Greek Slave is a marble sculpture by the American sculptor Hiram Powers. It was one of the best-known and critically acclaimed American artworks of the nineteenth century, and is among the most popular American sculptures ever. It was the first publicly exhibited, life-size, American sculpture depicting a fully nude female figure. Powers originally modeled the work in clay, in Florence, Italy, completing it on March 12, 1843. The first marble version (prime version) of the sculpture was completed by Powers' studio in 1844 and is now in Raby Castle, England.
Rudolph Hall, also known as the Yale Art and Architecture Building or the A & A Building, is one of the earliest and best known examples of Brutalist architecture in the United States. The building houses Yale University's School of Architecture (it once also housed the School of Art) and is located in New Haven, Connecticut.
Durfee Hall is a freshman residential dormitory on the Old Campus of Yale University. Built in 1871, it is the second oldest residential building at Yale, only after Farnam Hall. Currently, the building is used to house first-year students of Morse College, who stay there for the duration of their freshman year before moving into Morse College proper.
The Foote School is a private K–9 co-ed day school founded in 1916, located in the Prospect Hill neighborhood of New Haven, Connecticut, United States, near Yale University. The head of school is Carol Maoz.
The Hollow is a neighborhood in the city of Bridgeport, Connecticut. The neighborhood is the most densely populated in the city. The neighborhood has been home to immigrants throughout its history. Approximately 30 percent of residents of the Hollow are foreign born. Sterling Hill Historic District is located in the neighborhood.
Cooperative Arts & Humanities High School (referred to as Co-op High School) is a high school in the downtown section of New Haven, Connecticut. Founded in 1983 as a joint venture of New Haven and Hamden, it was originally known as the Hamden-New Haven Co-op. It was originally housed at the former site of Larson College (now Quinnipiac University) at 1450 Whitney Avenue in Hamden (now a privately owned elder care facility called Atria Larson Place).
The Institute Library (Originally established as the New Haven Young Men's Institute, and sometimes called the Young Men's Institute Library) is a membership library in New Haven, Connecticut. Founded in 1826 in the tradition of Mechanics' Institutes, it is New Haven's oldest community library and one of the few membership libraries now remaining in North America. The organization was active during the 19th century as a center for lectures, debates, and classes in New Haven.
The Yale School of Public Health (YSPH) was founded in 1915 by Charles-Edward Amory Winslow and is one of the oldest public health masters programs in the United States. It is consistently rated among the best schools of public health in the country, receiving recent rankings of 3rd for its doctoral program in epidemiology. YSPH has a unique hybrid existence with the Yale School of Medicine, as it is both a department (established in 1915) within the School of Medicine as well as an independent, CEPH-certified school of public health (established in 1946). According to the school's website, the community benefits greatly from the Yale School of Public Health's dual roles of providing a world–class education as an accredited, fully functioning school, and by conducting cutting–edge, interdisciplinary research through its collaborative departmental partnerships at the School of Medicine and across the Yale campus.
The Yale Memorial Carillon (sometimes incorrectly referred to as the Harkness Carillon) is a carillon of 54 bells in Harkness Tower at Yale University in New Haven, Connecticut.
John Gubbins Newton and His Sister, Mary Newton is an 1833 painting by Robert Burnard. It is now in the Yale Center for British Art, as part of the Paul Mellon collection, where it has the accession number B2001.2.66.
The International Festival of Arts & Ideas is a 15-day festival of performing arts, lectures, and conversations that celebrates the greatest artists and thinkers from around the world. Each June, the Festival takes over the theatres, open spaces, and courtyards of New Haven, Connecticut. The Festival's free headliner concerts on the New Haven Green attract thousands of spectators and past performers include Aaron Neville, Yo-Yo Ma, Red Baraat, Rosanne Cash, Calexico and the Carolina Chocolate Drops.
The Quinnipiac Trail is a 24-mile (39 km) Blue-Blazed hiking trail in New Haven County, Connecticut. It is the product of the evolution and growth of the first 10.6-mile (17.1 km) trail designated in Connecticut's Blue-Blazed Hiking Trail system, with its light-blue rectangular vertical painted blazes .
The Yale School of Architecture is one of the constituent professional schools of Yale University. It is generally considered to be one of the best architecture schools in the United States.
The Old Campus is the oldest area of the Yale University campus in New Haven, Connecticut. It is the principal residence of Yale College freshmen and also contains offices for the academic departments of Classics, English, Comparative Literature, and Philosophy. Fourteen buildings—including eight dormitories and two chapels—surround a 4-acre (1.6 ha) courtyard with a main entrance from the New Haven Green known as Phelps Gate.
The Pardee-Morris House, also known as John Morris House, is a historic house museum at 325 Lighthouse Road in New Haven, Connecticut. Probably built in the late 17th century, it is one of New Haven's oldest surviving buildings, and a good example of First Period colonial architecture. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972. It is now owned and operated by the New Haven Museum and Historical Society, and is open seasonally for events, classes and tours.
NRHP reference number: 72001341
The Richard C. Lee United States Courthouse is a monumental courthouse of the United States District Court for the District of Connecticut, located on the east side of the New Haven Green. Built between 1913 and 1919, the structure was spared from a planned demolition in the 1960s, and instead renovated to continue its useful life. For many decades, it also served as a post office, although the post office moved to another location in 1979. It is an excellent example of Classical Revival architecture. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2015.
NRHP reference number: 15000586
The Cosgrove Marcus Messer Athletic Center is a sports facility located in New Haven, Connecticut. It is the home of the Albertus Magnus College Athletic Department and the school's basketball and volleyball team, the Falcons. It is also home to the Connecticut Topballerz of the American Basketball Association (ABA). The facility has a basketball/volleyball court, 25-yard pool, racquetball courts, and more. The team's center court, or “The Nest” as it is affectionately named by the students of the school features seating for 600 spectators.
The William Pinto House, also known as William Pinto-Eli Whitney House, is a historic house at 275 Orange Street in New Haven, Connecticut. It is a Federal-style building of post-and-beam construction, and was built in 1810 for John Cook, a merchant. It is rare and unusual for its design, which places the gable end facing the street, rather than to the side as was more typical in the Federal period. It is historically notable for its second owner, William Pinto, a member of one of New Haven's leading Jewish families, and for its third occupant, Eli Whitney, who leased the house from Pinto in the later years of his life. The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1985. It now houses professional offices.
NRHP reference number: 85002316
Education is a stained-glass window commissioned from Louis Comfort Tiffany's Tiffany Glass Company during the building of Yale University's Chittenden Hall (now Linsly-Chittenden Hall, after being connected to a nearby building), funded by Simeon Baldwin Chittenden. Personifications of Art, Science, Religion, and Music are represented in the work, as angels. Other angelic representations of related virtues, values, and ideas attend them, each identified by words in their halos.
The Memorial Quadrangle is a residential quadrangle at Yale University in New Haven, Connecticut. Commissioned in 1917 to supply much-needed student housing for Yale College, it was Yale's first Collegiate Gothic building and its first project by James Gamble Rogers, who later designed ten other major buildings for the university. The Quadrangle has been occupied by Saybrook College and Branford College, two of the original ten residential colleges at Yale. The collegiate system of Yale University was largely inspired by the Oxbridge model of residential and teaching colleges at the University of Oxford and the University of Cambridge in the UK.
The Yale School of Music is one of the 12 professional schools at Yale University. It offers three graduate degrees: Master of Music (MM), Master of Musical Arts (MMA), and Doctor of Musical Arts (DMA), as well as a joint Bachelor of Arts—Master of Music program in conjunction with Yale College, a Certificate in Performance, and an Artist Diploma.
Hamilton Park, also known as Brewster Park and Howard Avenue Grounds, was a sports venue in New Haven, Connecticut, located at the intersection of Whalley Avenue and West Park Avenue.
Raynham, also known as the Kneeland Townsend House, is a historic residential property at 709 Townsend Avenue in New Haven, Connecticut. It is one of Connecticut's best-preserved Gothic Revival estates, having remained in the Townshend family for seven generations, and has a history dating back to the founding of the New Haven Colony in the 1630s. The property was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.
NRHP reference number: 80004062
The Whitney and Betty MacMillan Center for International and Area Studies at Yale, commonly known as the MacMillan Center, is a research and educational center for international affairs and area studies at Yale University.
The Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station (CAES) is the Connecticut state government's agricultural experiment station, a state government component that engages in scientific research and public outreach in agriculture and related fields. It is the oldest state experiment station in the United States, having been founded in 1875. Its official mission is to "develop, advance, and disseminate scientific knowledge, improve agricultural productivity and environmental quality, protect plants, and enhance human health and well-being through research for the benefit of Connecticut residents and the nation." The station operates a main research campus in New Haven, a research farm in Hamden, a satellite research facility and farm in Windsor, and a research farm in Griswold.
NRHP reference number: 66000805; website: http://www.ct.gov/caes/site/default.asp
Congregation Beth Israel, also known as the Orchard Street Shul, is an Orthodox Jewish synagogue at 232 Orchard Street in New Haven, Connecticut. The synagogue building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
NRHP reference number: 95000578
Yale School of Nursing (YSN) is the nursing school of Yale University, located in West Haven, Connecticut. It is among the top 20 graduate schools in the country, according to the latest rankings by U.S. News & World Report (2017). In addition to the top 20 tier overall ranking, the school’s midwifery specialty had the second-highest score nationally as ranked by peer institutions. Yale School of Nursing’s psychiatric-mental health specialty ranked sixth, and its pediatric nurse practitioner specialty came in at fifth in a three-way tie. Yale’s School of Nursing remains among the most selective in the nation, with only 29% of applicants accepted.
The Yale Graduate School of Arts and Sciences is the graduate school of Yale University. Founded in 1847, it is the oldest graduate school in North America, and was the first North American graduate school to confer a Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) degree.
The Elizabeth R. Hooker House is a historic house at 123 Edgehill Road in New Haven, Connecticut. It is a 1-1/2 story brick English-style Arts and Crafts suburban villa designed by Delano and Aldrich and built in 1914 for Elizabeth R. Hooker. Hooker was a 20th-century progressive activist, scholar, and writer in areas such as women's rights, public health care, and historic preservation.
NRHP reference number: 09000695
Science Hill is a planning precinct of the Yale University campus primarily devoted to physical and biological sciences. It is located in the Prospect Hill neighborhood of New Haven, Connecticut.
The Ahavas Sholem Synagogue, once known colloquially as The White Street Shul and now as the Thomas Hill Chapel, is a historic religious building at 30 White Street in New Haven, Connecticut. Built in 1928 for an Orthodox congregation founded in 1912, it is a distinctive example of a neighborhood synagogue with elaborate Classical Revival styling, for which it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1995. The building is now home to Thomas Chapel, which is affiliated with the Church of Christ.
NRHP reference number: 95000559
The Yale School of Management (also known as Yale SOM) is the graduate business school of Yale University in New Haven, Connecticut. The School awards the Master of Business Administration (MBA), MBA for Executives (EMBA), Master of Advanced Management (MAM), Master's Degree in Systemic Risk, Master's Degree in Global Business & Society, Master's Degree in Asset Management, and Ph.D. degrees, as well as joint degrees with nine other graduate programs at Yale University. As of August 2019, 666 students were enrolled in its MBA program, 134 in the EMBA program, 70 in the MAM program, 32 in the Master of Global Business Studies program, 11 in the Master of Systemic Risk program, and 59 in the PhD program; 122 students were pursuing joint degrees. The School has 90 full-time faculty members, and the dean is Kerwin Kofi Charles.
The Cary Collection of Playing Cards, held at the Beinecke Rare Book & Manuscript Library of Yale University in the United States, is one of the most significant assemblages of materials relating to playing cards and related ephemera in North America.
Yale Cancer Center (YCC) was founded in 1974 as a result of an act of Congress in 1971, which declared the nation's "war on cancer." It is one of a network of 51 Comprehensive Cancer Centers designated by the National Cancer Institute (NCI). Directed by Charles S. Fuchs, the Cancer Center brings together the resources of the Yale School of Medicine (YSM), Yale New Haven Hospital (YNHH), and the Yale School of Public Health (YSPH).
The Yale University Rugby Football Club (YRFC), or simply, Yale Rugby is the rugby union team of Yale University. The school competes in the Ivy Rugby Conference and in Division I-AA of USA Rugby's intercollegiate competition. The YRFC plays a fall and spring schedule, which includes both a 15s and a 7s program. The team has approximately 45 players and is coached by Head Coach, Craig Wilson and Assistant Coaches Brad Dufek, Alycia Washington and Greg McWilliams.
Comprising some 45,000 items, the Yale Babylonian Collection is an independent branch of the Yale University Library housed on the Yale University campus in Sterling Memorial Library at New Haven, Connecticut, United States.
The John Cook House is a historic house at 35 Elm Street in New Haven, Connecticut. Built about 1807, it is one of the city's oldest surviving stone buildings, further notable for a parade of locally or statewide prominent residents. The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.
NRHP reference number: 83003576
The New Haven Museum and Historical Society (originally known as the New Haven Colony Historical Society) was founded in 1862 in New Haven, Connecticut for the purposes of preserving and presenting the region’s history. The museum has a collection containing art, photography, furniture and other artifacts from throughout New Haven’s history and regularly presents programs and special exhibits.
Street address: 114 Whitney Avenue, New Haven, CT 06510 (from Wikidata)
The 2014 Connecticut Open (formerly known as the New Haven Open at Yale) was a tennis tournament played on outdoor hard courts. It was the 46th edition of the Connecticut Open, and part of the Premier Series of the 2014 WTA Tour. It took place at the Cullman-Heyman Tennis Center in New Haven, Connecticut, United States, from August 15 through August 23. It was the last event on the 2014 US Open Series before the 2014 US Open.
The Winchester Repeating Arms Company Historic District is a historic district in New Haven, Connecticut that was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1988. It includes 867 properties, which "include 858 major structures and 131 notable outbuildings." Of these structures, 876 are buildings deemed to contribute to the historical and/or architectural significance of the area, and most of these are residential. However the center of the district is "dominated" by the 75-acre (30 ha) tract of the former Winchester Repeating Arms Company, which contains industrial buildings.
NRHP reference number: 87002552
Fair Haven Union Cemetery, located at 149 Grand Ave., covers 7 acres (28,000 m2) in the neighborhood of Fair Haven, Connecticut. Although graves were there as early as 1803, the land was donated for the cemetery by local farmers Stephen Rowe and Nathaniel Granniss in 1808. The site included land for a meeting house, a school, and parade grounds, as well as 1-acre (4,000 m2) for burial, holding 80 lots. A Victorian Gothic entry arch was added in 1885 inscribed with a quote from Revelation 14:13, "They rest from their labors."
The former Union and New Haven Trust Building, located at 205 Church Street in New Haven, Connecticut, was renamed The Union in 2014. Constructed in 1927, this Georgian-Colonial Revival skyscraper was designed by architects Cross and Cross. The building sits on the northeast corner of the historic New Haven Green.
In July 1779 during the American Revolutionary War, British Major General William Tryon and 2600 men raided the Connecticut ports of New Haven, Fairfield and Norwalk. They destroyed military and public stores, supply houses, and ships, as well as private homes, churches and other public buildings. The raids were ineffectually resisted by militia forces.
David S. Ingalls Rink is a hockey rink in New Haven, Connecticut, designed by architect Eero Saarinen and built between 1953 and 1958 for Yale University. It is commonly referred to as The Whale, due to its shape. The building was constructed for $1.5 million, which was double its original cost estimate. It seats 3,500 people and has a maximum ceiling height of 23 meters (75 ft). The building is named for David S. Ingalls, Yale class of 1920, and David S. Ingalls, Jr., Yale class of 1956, both of whom were hockey captains. Members of the Ingalls family were the primary benefactors of the arena. The building was included on the America's Favorite Architecture list, created in 2007 by the American Institute of Architects.
Hewitt University Quadrangle, commonly known as Beinecke Plaza, is a plaza at the center of the Yale University campus in New Haven, Connecticut. It is the home of the university's administration, main auditorium, and dining facilities. The quadrangle was created with the construction of the university's Bicentennial Buildings and Woodbridge Hall in 1901. Until 1917, it was known as University Court. The completion of the Beinecke Library created subterranean library facilities beneath the courtyard, establishing the present appearance of the paved plaza and sunken courtyard.
Berzelius is a secret society at Yale University named for the Swedish scientist Jöns Jakob Berzelius, considered one of the founding fathers of modern chemistry. Founded in 1848, 'BZ', as the society is called often, is the third oldest society at Yale and the oldest of those of the now-defunct Sheffield Scientific School, the institution which from 1854-1956 was the sciences and engineering college of Yale University. Berzelius became a senior society in the tradition of Skull and Bones, Scroll and Key, and Wolf's Head in 1933 when the Sheffield Scientific School was integrated into Yale University. Book and Snake and St. Elmo, also societies from Sheffield, followed suit. Skull and Bones, founded in 1832, Scroll and Key, founded in 1841, and Wolf's Head, founded in 1883, catered to students in the Academic Department, or liberal arts college.
The Hospital of Saint Raphael or Saint Raphael Hospital, located in New Haven, Connecticut, United States, was a 511-bed community teaching hospital founded by the Sisters of Charity of Saint Elizabeth in 1907. On September 12, 2012, Yale-New Haven Hospital acquired the assets of the Hospital of Saint Raphael, making it a single 1,541-bed hospital with two main campuses, and establishing Saint Raphael's as Yale-New Haven Hospital Saint Raphael Campus.
The Tomlinson Lift Bridge is a crossing of the Quinnipiac River in New Haven, Connecticut. The bridge forms a segment of U.S. Route 1. The Tomlinson Vertical Lift Bridge carries four lanes of traffic across New Haven Harbor and a single-track freight line owned by the Providence & Worcester Railroad that connects the waterfront with the Northeast Corridor line of Metro North and CSX. A sidewalk is present along the southern edge of the bridge.
Metropolitan Business Academy is an interdistrict magnet high school located on 115 Water Street in New Haven, New Haven County, in Connecticut. It is part of the New Haven Public School District. It consists of approximately 400 students. It is located near New Haven's Route 1 Highway and Long Island Sound. The school operates with three trimesters, and alternating block schedule (A day, B day).
The Strouse, Adler Company Corset Factory is a historic factory complex at 78-84 Olive Street in New Haven, Connecticut. Developed between 1876 and 1923, it was the largest and oldest of the city's several corset manufacturers, and remained in continuous operation for that purpose until 1998. The complex was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2002. It has since been converted into residential use.
NRHP reference number: 02000864
The Western New England Institute for Psychoanalysis is a New Haven, Connecticut based institute which specializes in the training of the psychoanalysis of children, adolescents, and adults. It also overlooks the Western New England Psychoanalytic Society, which sponsors the New Haven Psychoanalytic Research Training Program and The Muriel Gardiner Program. The Western New England Institute for Psychoanalysis was established provisionally in 1952 and fully recognized in 1956 by the American Psychoanalytic Association. Jonathan Lear, Sidney H. Phillips, Donald J. Cohen, Steven R. Marans and Linda C. Mayes and have all worked as psychoanalysts at the institute.
The Yale School of Drama (also known as YSD) is a graduate professional school of Yale University located in New Haven, Connecticut. Founded in 1924 as the Department of Drama in the School of Fine Arts, the school provides training in every discipline of the theatre: acting, design (set design, costume design, lighting design, projection design, and sound design), directing, dramaturgy and dramatic criticism, playwriting, stage management, technical design and production, and theatre management.
Street address: Нью-Хейвен, Коннектикут, Соединённые Штаты Америки (from Wikidata)
Strong School is a school located at 69 Grand Ave. in the Fair Haven neighborhood of New Haven, Connecticut, USA. It is an overflow school for district kindergartners and first graders. It has a student population of approximately 277 utilizing a 1.055-acre (4,270 m2) site.
The Yale Sustainable Food Program (YSFP) serves as a hub for the study of topics in sustainable food and agriculture at Yale University. Founded as the Yale Sustainable Food Project in 2001, the YSFP runs a campus teaching farm, supports a range of different curricular and extra-curricular study opportunities for both undergraduate and graduate students, and provides fellowships, awards, and grants for international and professional experience for Yale students.
Yale School of the Environment (YSE) is a professional school of Yale University. It was founded to train foresters, and now trains environmental leaders through four 2-year degree programs (Master of Environmental Management, Master of Environmental Science, Master of Forestry, and Master of Forest Science) and two 10-month mid-career programs. YSE strives to create new knowledge that will sustain and restore the health of the biosphere and emphasizes the possibility of creating a regenerative coexistence between humans and non-human life and the rest of the natural world. Still offering forestry instruction, the school has the oldest graduate forestry program in the United States.
Sterling Memorial Library (SML) is the main library building of the Yale University Library system in New Haven, Connecticut, United States. Opened in 1931, the library was designed by James Gamble Rogers as the centerpiece of Yale's Gothic Revival campus. The library's tower has sixteen levels of bookstacks containing over 4 million volumes. Several special collections—including the university's Manuscripts & Archives—are also housed in the building. It connects via tunnel to the underground Bass Library, which holds an additional 150,000 volumes.
ACES Educational Center for the Arts (ECA), is an American public arts magnet high school, located at 55 Audubon Street in New Haven, Connecticut, United States.
The West River is a 13.5-mile-long (21.7 km) freshwater stream in southern Connecticut. It flows through the towns of Bethany, Woodbridge, and New Haven before discharging into New Haven Harbor.
The New Haven Galleria at Long Wharf was a shopping mall proposed for construction in New Haven, Connecticut by mayoral candidate Wally Grigo in 1993.
York Square Cinema (1970-2005) is a former art house cinema located in Downtown New Haven, Connecticut, USA. The York Square was built in 1970. It housed three separate movie theaters in a renovation that connected several old buildings. The only live remaining owner, Robert Spodick, decided to close the doors of the York Square in July 2005 after several unsuccessful lawsuits with the large distribution chains.
Street address: 61 Broadway, New Haven, CT 06511 (from Wikidata)
The Atwater–Ciampolini House, also known as the Charles Atwater House, is located at 321 Whitney Avenue in New Haven, Connecticut, at the southwest corner of intersection with Edwards Street. It is an important example of Shingle style architecture. It was designed by New York City-based architects Babb, Cook and Willard and was built during 1890-92. For many years the property had served as offices for Thompson and Peck, an insurance agency.
The Knights of Columbus Building, in Downtown New Haven, Connecticut, is the headquarters of the Roman Catholic fraternal service organization, the Knights of Columbus. Also known as the Knights of Columbus Tower or The Knights' Tower, the building was designed by Kevin Roche John Dinkeloo and Associates and finished in 1969. This 23-story modern style reinforced concrete building, at 320 feet (98 meters) tall, is the third-tallest building in the city's skyline.
Artspace is a contemporary art gallery and non-profit organization located in downtown New Haven, Connecticut. Artspace's mission is to catalyze artistic activities; connect contemporary artists, audiences, and resources; and to enrich art experiences and activate art spaces. Since its founding in 1987, Artspace has helped nearly 3,000 artists in the greater New Haven area develop their careers. Artspace presents gallery exhibitions, outdoor installations, a major annual Open Studios festival, and a teen education program. Artspace has been recognized for its artistic merit by the National Endowment for the Arts, the LEF Foundation, and the Tremaine and Warhol foundations. The Artspace gallery, located at 50 Orange St., New Haven, houses 5,000 square feet (460 m2) of storefront in the Ninth Square neighborhood for exhibitions, workshops, and staff offices.
The Caroline Nicoll House is a historic house at 27 Elm Street in New Haven, Connecticut. Built in 1828, it is a rare surviving example of an urban townhouse from that period, and a well-preserved example of transitional Federal-Greek Revival architecture. The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.
NRHP reference number: 83001283
New Haven Coliseum was a sports and entertainment arena located in downtown New Haven, Connecticut. Construction began in 1968 and was completed in 1972. The Coliseum was officially closed on September 1, 2002, by Mayor John DeStefano, Jr., and demolished by implosion on January 20, 2007.
Skull and Bones, also known as The Order, Order 322 or The Brotherhood of Death is an undergraduate senior secret student society at Yale University in New Haven, Connecticut. The oldest senior class society at the university, Skull and Bones has become a cultural institution known for its powerful alumni and various conspiracy theories. It is one of the "Big Three" societies at Yale, the other two being Scroll and Key and Wolf's Head Society.
The 29th Colored Regiment Monument is a monument located in Criscuolo Park in New Haven, Connecticut, United States. The monument commemorates the soldiers of the 29th Connecticut Infantry Regiment (Colored) and is located on the grounds of where more than 900 black recruits trained in 1863. It was designed by Ed Hamilton, a sculptor well known for the Amistad Memorial that is also located in New Haven.
The Lafayette B. Mendel House is an historic Italianate house at 18 Trumbull Street in New Haven, Connecticut. This building, designed by New Haven architect Henry Austin, was the home of Yale University physiology professor, Lafayette Benedict Mendel (1872–1935) from 1900–1924. It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1976 for its association with Mendel, who discovered vitamins A and B, and greatly expanded knowledge of nutrition and food-related biochemistry. The building now houses a law firm.
NRHP reference number: 76002138
English Station is an abandoned thermal power plant in New Haven, Connecticut. It occupies eight acres of land on Ball Island in the Mill River, Connecticut, which separates the neighborhoods of Wooster Square and Fair Haven. It was constructed from 1924 to 1929. The plant operated as a coal- and oil-fired power plant for United Illuminating until it stopped electricity-generating operations in 1991.